Reviews of Pagoda Hotel 2 stars

1525 Rycroft Street, Downtown Honolulu, Honolulu, HI 96814, USA

#87 of 210 hotels in Honolulu

• Moderate Room

No real complaints. I did buy some crackers from the store onsite and they were old. The whole stock was but they refunded my money. Just check the dates on the food.

Comfortable and the view was great

• Moderate Room

The elevator using the card key....it did not work most of the time and the security guard was so helpful.

Convenient.....it is a walking distance to all the shopping department that I like to do my shopping.

• Moderate Room

DID NOT LIKE THE "ROACH" GUY IN MY BATHROOM SINK, THANK GOD HE DID NOT FLY. MAYBE YOU NEED TO SPRAY.

YOUR STAFF WAS HELPFUL, LYNDA AT THE FRONT DESK WAS FULL OF INFORMATION THAT I NEEDED. DID NOT EAT AT THE RESTERAUT, BECAUSE MY SISTER, FROM THE BIG ISLAND CAME TO VISIT AND WE SPENT SOME TIME W/OUR MOTHER WHO IS IN A NURSING HOME. ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I CHOSE THE PAGODA IS (1) NEAR CHURCH (2) 1ST HAWAIIAN BANK(3) DON QIJOTE(4)EASY ACCESS TO BUSES. SEE YOU NEST YEAR!! BJ RELASION,OTC,RMA

• Moderate Room

The water in the shower room was different from our stay in the past. This time, our face and hair had some problems due to the water we used in the shower.

• Studio

The hotel is very outdated and in desperate need of upgrading and remodeling. it is stuck in the 70's with its amenities and decor. I usually just require a clean room in a safe neighborhood, but this hotel just charged too much for what it offered in return. The 1st room we where assigned was "a studio with kitchen unit", and we noticed a cockroach on the counter upon entering the room. We went to the lobby desk and requested another room and did receive a different room immediately, but for an additional "upgrade fee". That room was not worth the upgrade fee. The room itself was big, but had a window unit air conditioner, and out of place sink unit along on wall inside the sleep area. The TV had only local channels, instead of on demand TV a outdated DVD unit was in the room and DVDs could be rented in the lobby. The bathroom was in poor condition as well. The drain covers were all loose, some of the tiles were haphazardly patched up. No extra pillows or blankets. After the 1st night we found another hotel in Honolulu for the remainder of our 4 day stay.

The staff was very nice and friendly. We were allowed to check in before the official check in time. When we did not like the room we where initially assigned to our room was quickly changed. The hotel itself is in a quite area, and seemed safe.

• Moderate Room

It’s very very loud. The windows cannot be entirely closed - they are not sealed.

It is close to Waikiki and the convention center. It has a car rental in the hotel. It’s clean and neat. The staff is amazing and very friendly and helpful.

• Moderate Room

The pool was very small, although clean and sunny. The restaurant seems to be a separate entity and expect to pay for your meals, although you do get a 10% discount for staying at the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful both at the front desk as restaurant and cleaning. The room was spacious and although this is not a luxury hotel, it certainly is comfortable and down to earth decent.

• Moderate Room

This is an old hotel in need of a bit of an update. Facilities are showing their age. Waikiki is about a 30 minute walk. Noise during the night meant we had to leave the air conditioner running. The pool is small.

Location is close to Ala Moana Shopping Center and the Ala Moana beach. Rooms were clean and well maintained.

• Studio

For the same price I have stayed in hotels in Hawaii that were not so run down. Building needs a serious renovation. Felt like I was staying in a poor man's hotel when I walked into the room and hallways.

• Moderate Room

OLder, smelled a little musty. The sinks are quite low to the ground.

Honolulu hotels are pricey! But this charming gem that is located within walking distance of many restaurants, shopping opportunities and city life made our budget smile. Ms. Lynda at the front desk was pleasant, thorough and appropriately accommodating. Nice but small pool with a beautiful patio. On site convenience store and a Hertz rental car desk. They are a planned stop on a complimentary shuttle service (ask for your voucher at the desk) and are right next door to a beautiful poi pond and the Floating Pagoda Restaurant. Our rooms were older, but well cared for. Everything was clean. Smelled a little musty upon walk in, but turning on the fan and opening up the windows lessened that quickly. We had a mini fridge and microwave which came in handy with all the dining opportunities surrounding the property. They even have an unlimited (one at a time) dvd program and PS3s) in the room. I didn't make the time to play- but a cool touch. They considered it a resort, so on top of room fee we had to pay an extra $16 per night. Still made this property a sound financial choice versus others. $35 dollar taxi ride from the airport. 4 miles away from the cruise port. I'd definitely bookmark this one to return when I visit Honolulu next.

• Moderate Room

Cool and smell fresh espevially in the room

The bathroom smell. As soon as you walked in you smell the pi. The room wad hot. I had no time to complained cause i was so tired just went to bed.

• Moderate Room

At breakfast at Pagoda Restaurant, the rice for Japanese breakfast was improperly cooked! The staff are nice, but one messed up my reservation for a family and gave me the room with only one bed for a family of two adults and two small kids. The check-in agent was nice to give us one roll away without charging us extra for the two days I needed the room. I miss the Terrace!

I like the fact that Internet is now included and free of charge! I like the location within walking distance to restaurants, shopping malls and stores, and it's within the city. I like the parking right next to hotel so I don't have to drive all the way down a dimly lit parking area and have to walk back to the hotel! I like the floating garden restaurant; the fish are always a pretty sight! The hotel has made a lot of improvements, including security with the elevators and nicer baths!

• Moderate Room

Pool was out of order and still had to pay full price for resort fee. Staff on front counter wernt the friendliest.

Room was good.house keeping great. Food in restraunt was amazing.

• Moderate Room

Expensive for an old hotel room. Shower head Is low and can't be adjusted.

Was OK for a one night stopover. Movie rental idea was good. Staff were very friendly

• Studio

Although some part we could tell were newly renovated there were some areas such as corners, bathroom walls, curtains, and edges around windows that weren't that spotless or got replaced in the renovation.

My family and I are locals, visiting from the neighboring island. I believe we got what we paid for and enjoyed the newly renovated hotel from the last time we stayed at Pagoda (4 years ago). It was much brighter and cleaner feeling. This trip was also our 4 year old's first time off island/staying at a hotel and we were very satisfied with our experience, we felt safe and the place was clean enough by our standards for our little guy. We also enjoyed the unlimited dvd rentals (1 dvd at a time) for the days that we stayed in because of the weather. I was really happy we got to watch some of the newest dvd releases.

• Moderate Room

Pool was closed for repair

Proximity to Ala Moana Walmart and Ross dress for less Free shuttle every 1/2 hour Free DVD Does not have tour desk but staff were helpful

• Moderate Room

Very basic. We were ready for an early night as we had an early flight so decided to relax watch a dvd which wouldn't work-annoying night it turned out to be. Also very noisy outside. Glad it was only a 1 night booking.

Reception people were lovely and were very helpful.

• Moderate Room

Earlier room cleaning, more than one coffee a day please

Brilliant location for the shops, loved the extra kitchen facilities, handy for getting out to anywhere else, older but clean and comfortable and really spacious

• Moderate Room

The restaurant connected to the hotel was reasonable and servings were ample. We were a short walk to Walmart. The shuttle to Waikiki was convenient and easy. It was a short walk to the bus stop where we caught the public bus to Pearl Harbour (50 minute ride). Did not have a car in Honolulu but did not feel the need for one.

• Moderate Room

Some false advertising was present... They told me over the phone that I was upgraded to the "deluxe" for free but when I got there I wasn't..

I liked how the rooms were very clean and nice

• Moderate Room

Location! Location! Location! The property is situated a few miles from the Waikiki area, but ideally located for shopping and having meals at family dining places.

• Moderate Room

We didn’t realize the hotel was located in s part of town that made us nervous when we walked back from Waikiki in the evening. We could have taken the bus but the line ups were always very long.

The staff were very helpful. We also liked the convience of the restaurant next door.

• Moderate Room

The place is clean but quite old. Needs some renovation. This 'Hotel' Doesnt provide any water.

Staffs were very kind and they were flexible with checkout time. The suite is roomy. Parking pass was reasonable ($10)

• Moderate Room

Location. Food and shopping are all around the hotel. The hotel staffs will try their best to accommodate the customers. Good customer services.

• Moderate Room

Everything. I didn't feel safe in the property, there were loud bangs in the middle of the night, abd my phone randomly sounded like it was off the hook but it wasn't. Overall, terrible hotel!

• Moderate Room

It is old and the bathrooms could use some attention.

Very comfortable beds and the rooms are well appointed. Good location close to Ala Moana and other chain stores. Great for a short stay.

• Moderate Room

Noisy neighbors across the hall on my last night. Noisy air conditioner.

I really really liked the location with the shops and restaurants a stones throw away.

• Moderate Room

Unit was dated, had a strange layout.

Room had all the basics, microwave, mini fridge, tv, dvd player, safe and double beds. Beds were small but comfy.

• Moderate Room

Staff were awful on check-in. Ignored us for a while, and we had to find someone else to help us. Parking was cheap but so inconvenient, driving for five minutes up the garage to find any parking. Kind of bland room, could use an update to the decor.

Room size was great. Parking was cheap overnight.

• Moderate Room

The Pagoda Hotel is a classic Hawaii hotel in a very convenient location. It is quite old and the facilities and rooms are in need of updating. But that's why it tends to be cheaper than other hotels in the area. The staff was very kind and helpful, and the rooms were always professionally cleaned. Just please don't expect brand new towels or furniture.

• Moderate Room

Noise!!! Air conditioner is an old model and operates so loudly that it's impossible to sleep. But if you turn it off and open the window, you get a loud noise from outside, industrial or traffic, we didn't figure it out, but it was hard to fall asleep.

The location is convenient, relatively close to the beach and to the shopping mall. Wi-fi works well. The restaurant is nice, serves good breakfast buffet, although it's not included in the room price. Well... overall, it's difficult to feel unhappy in Hawaii!

• Moderate Room

Room is kind of outdated but it was still a comfortable stop for me to rest and get ready for the next leg of my travels

The staff. The front desk to the cleaning lady to the security even the people who are guests as well. They all said hello with a smile. Thank you Pagoda for making my stay comfortable and enjoyable even though it was only for a night.

• Moderate Room

I think the bathrooms should be renewed...

Great staff (at least the receptionist) Nice views if you have a room on the top floor The floating restaurant is a must to have dinner

• Moderate Room

Check-in process was extremely slow (20 minutes in line, and I was 3rd in line with 2 staff checking guests in). 3hrs after the check in time, room was not ready for another hour and staff was unwilling to upgrade us to an unsold room without a $10 fee. Cockroaches in the bathroom before we had to switch rooms again.

Some senior staff were reasonable and helpful with rectifying issues. Good if you're looking for basic hotel with shower and bed, and don't plan to spend much time there.

• Moderate Room

sketchy people coming in and out talking to themselves make us and everyone around feel very unsafe wasn't just one person was a few during our one day stay

koi pond

• Moderate Room

There is no membership program. Since 2008, I have chosen to stay at Pagoda Hotel every time and I travel through Honolulu once or twice per month.

This the lowest rate I've paid for years, perhaps its low season, in any case, best value for money.

• Moderate Room

The toilet flapper didn’t always close properly but, they fixed right away! Suppose that should be a good thing.

Dennis at the buffet setting was super attentive and very personable. Because of him, we returned the next night. He was not there but, the young lady was just as great as Dennis. The koi were beautiful.

• Moderate Room

the quality of the hotel's room, noisy plumbing at night ,not too clean rooms, the area is a little bit uncomfortable- especially at night

restaurants around the hotel

• Moderate Room

Absolutely love the central location of hotel which is very convenient. Staff were very helpful in aasisting with a late check in and out due to my flight schedule.

• Moderate Room

Some dust not cleaned off bed post. NOT very soundproof. Older and could use some upgrades. Air conditioner was very noisy.

Was close to shopping. Fairly comfortable and reasonably clean

• Moderate Room

Everything! was a bit worn and beat up. and hard to tell if it was clean or not. The bed linens were clean but the bed was so lopsided that I had to sleep crossway on the bed to keep from rolling off. We HAD to pay the amenities fee and used NONE of them. Would have watched a movie but the dvd player didn't work after trying 45 minutes trying to get it to work.

Most things in the room worked.

• Moderate Room

The beds were a little worn on the edges. Sagging of the bed edges on the most used part of the bed was a common occurance.

The people at reception were warm knowledgeable and friendly. The guy in the small onsite shop was the nicest person I’ve met in hawaii

• Moderate Room

The bathrooms are a mess. The bathtub was peeling, shower head wasn't secured in the wall so it roadless around. Patch job of the drywall was poorly executed. Air-conditioner was just thrown in the window and let the frame rust. The sheets were damp and the whole room was musty.

Close to the mall.

• Moderate Room

We had to wait in line for nearly 30 minutes to check in. I missed not having a balcony.

We only discovered the restaurant on the day we left. The staff was very nice. We ate breakfast at Eggs and Things, which was very good. The hotel is close to a big elaborate Walgreens and a Foodland that reminded me of Whole Foods.

• Moderate Room

Room was not refurbished for long, in wardrobe a little bit of moist smell however cleanliness of the room kept to high standards

Very friendly staff, clean and reasonable good size room, fairly good location around 25-30 minutes walk to Waikiki beach, hotel also offers own shuttle bus to city center

• Moderate Room

Wish the TV had more stations available.

The room size with the king size bed. The air con worked well, very comfortable. Nice, clean room. Wish had more coffee packets instead of just one. Staff was very pleasant.

• Moderate Room

The rooms were recently renovated and they did a very good job of it. The only negative was the shower head was a little too low and there were no shower seats available for non-ADA rooms that needed them.

• Moderate Room

Hotel is within walking distance to Honolulu Marathon starting line. Safety enhanced with visible security in main floor lobby and key-accessed elevators. Staff were friendly and responsive to needs.

• Moderate Room

- pillows are flat - room smelled musty - air conditioner is too loud - could feel the springs under the bed - hotel has free downtown shuttle however the front desk could never tell me when the shuttle would arrive due to the gps being off. was told it is always like this. i could choose to wait 5 to 20 minutes for the shuttle or i could walk, i chose to walk rather than wait for the mystery shuttle

- the pagoda restaurant has a good buffet and excellent value and looks cool too - the location is great, big mall is three blocks away, and 2.2 miles from Diamond Head, can easily walk to the Waikiki - large grocery store around the corner - has an outdoor pool - can rent movies in the lobby for free - all staff are friendly - room is large

• Moderate Room

The security deposit was not on time, I was told that as soon as I checked out upon checking in that It will be returned to my card, they did not say it would take up to a week.

• Moderate Room

Drunk people hanging around by the elevator or the entrance at the back. Looked like they were not hotel guest.

I like the place and its location. It is the only hotel I choose to stay at when in Honolulu. Staff are very nice and helpful. Thank you.

• Moderate Room

The rest of the front desk hotel staff needs to become more informative @ check in with all the amenities the property offers & surrounding areas. They need more help & seem very overwhelmed & only Jerrry had the Aloha Spirit

Jerry @ the front desk staff was the only overly friendly & informative staff @ the front desk. He was amazing but I only met him on my check out Day. That’s when I found out about the extra amenities of the hotel ie the shuttle & restaurant happy hour I wasn’t able to take advantage of the shuttle because I found out on my way out. Also I loved the restaurant bar environment was beautiful & Sherry the bartender was Amazing & friendly!

• Moderate Room

During the noon rush, it did take a couple of times , up to 30 and 45 minutes for the taxi to arrive. When the taxi's didn't arrive in a timely manner, asking one of the desk clerks to call again, on the third request, although not his fault for the late taxis, he got a little rude.

The restaurant has a very good buffet that is a reasonably priced. A mix of American and Asian. The desserts were vary tasty. The Koi pond and garden around the restaurant is very relaxing. The location, it is a block from Don Quijote's, across the street is Walmart and four blocks to Ala Moana Shopping Center. If needed at the Ala Moana Center, it is a central location for The Bus, with direct phones to call, tell the operator where you need to go and get the bus number. Also it is a central taxi stand area right there. There is also a Taxi stand right outside the hotel main lobby entrance and the front desks calls if there isn't a taxi there. However it did take a couple of times during the noon rush, up to 30 and 45 minutes for the taxi to arrive.

• Studio

No complaint I enjoyed every minute. Won't hesitate to stay at the Pagoda again in the very near future.

Secure, clean, friendly. Good to see employee I've known over 30 plus years. Not conjested as previous stays.

• Moderate Room

My friend had an iphone and chrome notebook and connected quickly to Pagoda's wifi, on the other hand my tablet was not compatible I believe and did not, so had to use his laptop. Other than that, a small inconvenience compared to the many other amenities and benefits of Pagoda. Great place, I enjoyed my stay there.

The hotel was within close proximity to Walmart, Alo Moana, Ross, Don Quijote( outside food court and shopping center), and many restaurants and shops offering all that you need, and just a 15 minute bus fare away from Waikiki if you take a number 2 on Kings street two blocks from Pagoda. Great, enjoyed my stay at Pagoda and the staff were way friendly to accommodate our stay there. Felt safe and would recommend Pagoda to friends and family.

• Studio

Hosts did not hands on us and smile

The weather and everything was good but the experience of the restaurant the second time was very disappointing because as me and my sister entered in the hostest the first person we met a lady with to much eye lid makeup approached us and said your to early even before my staff then back into the resturant to give us fish food and then basically put her hands on us to remove us, but the strange thing that had few people drinking at the bar obvious lets those guys in but not us then the waitress she did not smile servicing us but with her co workers did. The guy bartender treated us better.

• Moderate Room

What i really like about your hotel is that its a walking distance to the Ala Moana mall, department stores, Wallmart, and restaurants. Also, the taxi were always available to take us to anywhere for meetings and to the airport. It was very convenient and i really appreciate it.

• Moderate Room

Air condition bit too cold for me.. needed adjustment from time to time..

Room is nice, bed comfortable and clean with friendly cleaning staff.. especially Lita..

nothing at all ...

location, short walk to waikiki and ala moana mall. i like the restaurant next to the hotel and more places to eat and shop within a 10 min. walk.

• Moderate Room

The smoke alarm went off in the middle of the night on 2 occasions. It was apparently a false alarm, because it stopped after a while -- although based on my experience with the smell of smoke in the bathroom, maybe another guest triggered the detector. There was no explanation for the false alarms. I did ask, upon checkout, and was merely told that the detectors are very sensitive.

Great location, within walking distance to a number of great restaurants, as well as Ala Moana Shopping Center. Parking is available in a covered lot across the street (in the Ross car park) for a minimal daily fee. Very reasonable! The rooms are non-smoking, and they claim to assess fines for violating the no-smoking policy. However, the first day, our bathroom smelled like a smoky bar (if you remember those days), with the stench of smoke pouring from the ceiling vent. I informed the front desk, who said, in a rather matter-of-fact manner, that the guest downstairs must be smoking. In any case, he sent someone to address the problem. Not sure how they did it, but, happily, the smell dissipated, and was fine for the rest of our stay. The room was a little worn and dated, but perfectly comfortable.

• Moderate Room

No greeting upon arrival. Stoned faced front desk clerk. Charged a $15.00 amenity charge. Dont know what for. I did not receive any amenities unless you count the shampoo and bar soap in the bathroom. Had to pay for parking.

Cheap price for hotel.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Moderate Room

My room was not cleaned good I found a dirty baby bottle with old milk by the chair in the room right when I checked in and the door does not lock from the inside and the bolt lock was broken so anyone can just invade your privacy or rip you off. The biggest problem was I found a roach under my pillow so My family couldn't lay on that bed. I went down stairs to show them but they acted like they wasn't interested in what I had to say was real rude. I should of gotten a new room for that I have pictures of what was under the pillow.

Well I liked the that they don't charge you for movies and they have a playstation3 and games the kids can play without being charged 11-20$ each like most other hotels.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Studio

Counter staff were very indifferent toward the customer experience and customer satisfaction, one I would consider rude. Being a resident of Hawaii I was informed of a "local" rate, however, Pagoda discount pricing was higher than the more sophisticated Ala Moana hotel. The overall condition of the room reminded me of the 80's, only, this room would have benefited from the mirror ball. The room was outdated and in need of major improvements. The bathroom was moldy and the shower head looked like it was trying to grow hair, green hair. The actual hair left clinging to the shower walls from a previous guest left me feeling thankful that my wife was in the hospital and not here.

The bed was fairly comfortable. The coffee maker worked.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Moderate Room

Not enough parking at the hotel. itself but was able to park at ROSS parking which is just cross the street. With soooooo many travelers staying at the hotel,, there should be more elevators. The laundry room is very good for use, but there needs to have more washing machines.

reliable house cleaning workers were pleasant, accommodating. The staff at check-in very friendly and helpful, The laundry facilities were very good, but not enough washing machines.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Moderate Room

Location (Chinatown),lousy paid parking (10 bucks a day),questionable safety,old rooms & furniture with tiny bathrooms, awful window ac units kept the room humid & loud &lets not forget the ants & roaches! AVOID this place!

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Moderate Room

i opened the door at 11 pm and a cockroach greeted me at the door opening. then I went to turn on the bed light so I can read, no light at the lamps, I twisted the bulb and it was okay, then I noticed that after pulling the electric cord for the lamp.. it was unplugged... wow that was a shocker..

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Moderate Room

Restaurant food was pretty ordinary. But the gardens and fish pond quire special. The wait staff were extra nice however.

Very pleasant front desk staff

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Moderate Room

the air-conditioner was a little bit noisy and the in-house provisions a little scarce - no tea, no coffee (only a percolator) only powder for milk (would have liked the little milk containers) and no cutlery, fortunately I always bring my own.

Extremely comfy bed, a regular supply of towels, soap, shampoo etc. in plentiful supply. The Pagoda restaurant excellent and their staff was great. The location of the Pagoda was near to transport. The neighbourhood seemed safe with plenty of restaurants near.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Studio

the room and inside the room was old! needs updated. the bathroom needs updated. it wAs not worth $138 per night...maybe $40. we were in the same clothes for 24 hours because of snow delays via the airlines...all i wanted was a nice shower/tub to bathe in and a comfy bed with modern appliances they would not reimburse us the first nights paid fee even tho we didnt stay there. we had to miss our first nights stay there because of a snow delay in seattle and we had to spend the night in the USO. dont stay here...

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Quite pleased overall!!

The price was good--the location great--the convenience of Don Quijote for groceries etc. A nice remodeled older hotel. Would recommended it.

• Moderate Room

One elevator was cloaked in moving blankets, not sure why. The staff allowed us leave our baggage while we saw the sights, even though we checked out that morning. Rooms were a little dated but everything was functional and felt it was a good value

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Moderate Room

The toilet in bathroom was really too low for me---needs to be updated.

Beds were comfortable. Towels in bathroom very nice. Food in Pagoda Floating Restaurant was excellent ; the Noon Buffets and Sunday Brunch were the best in the islands. Prime rib was my favorite.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Studio

I didn't feel comfortable going outside at night, especially on the side where the parking garage was because it felt like there were a lot of people who hung out there. I just had avreal creepy feeling about it.

This hotel was nicely located close to the Ala Moana Center and Walmart, so if we needed something, it was convenient. The room was clean, and even though it didn't quite look like pictures, but it was ok.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Moderate Room

The neighborhood is business & residential apartments. Seems relatively safe, but l wouldn't want to walk around late at night. Though the interior of hotel and rooms is nice, the hallways are dreary and tired.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was painted in fresh color and decor was updated & clean. A comfortble bed, great shower, and nice tv. Location was convenient to airport and to visit family without being in busy Waikiki. Parking permits available.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Moderate Room

The hotel showed that there were balconies. Visitors could not have access. We like to enjoy having breakfast and also sitting in the evening. In future we will make sure our room has a balcony. The cleaning staff used the balconies for their cleaning carts.

The staff were very good and helpful

Browse Pagoda Hotel traveller photo gallery