Reviews of Palm Garden Hotel 3 stars

495 North Ventu Park Road, Newbury Park, CA 91320, USA

#3 of 5 hotels in Newbury Park

Good location, nice property, just OK room.
    • Standard King Room

The room was very old-school... my husband said he felt like we were in 1974. The bathroom was clean but out of date, and we unfortunately had a small ant infestation in the bathroom.

The location was convenient and the property itself is very attractive. It was nice that they offer a free breakfast.

great place to stay
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I had the feeling the carpets were dirty otherwise everything was perfect

the staff at reception super friendly the rooms were nice with interactive tablet welcoming you - and also rooms were after very nice perfume when we first walked in we stayed at pool one day and it was very relaxing there is an Irish pub next door - in case you want to have a drink in the evening - this is also where the breakfast is served there are some shops in the walking distance and also very nice Indian restaurant just about 2 min walk. Plenty of parking spots

Met our immediate needs.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room outdated, late night arrival noise, room just adequate, bathroom and shower taps old and leaking when shower turned on, noisy aircon, breakfast very ordinary, no crockery for cereal, silverware appeared dirty.

Restaurant staff very friendly, some checkin staff were friendly, helpful and cheerful.

Very Pleasantly Surprised! Great property.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Lady checking if we were leaving and opening door wide open after knocking only a bit, but not waiting. We had late check in and I was on a r

Very surprised by the accomodations, nice room, very clean, nice property, also breakfast was great! Included eggs and waffles in complimentary breakfast. Heated pool and jacuzzi. Nice garden area and my kids loved playing chess in loby and giant chess by pool. Very pleasantly surprised with this hotel for the price was a good deal.

Nice hotel that is centrally located to access the SF Valley and Ventura county.
    • Standard King Room

The room we stayed in definitely needs upgrading, especially the bathroom and vanity areas. There were some old blood on the outside and on the inside of the drawers which I was able to clean up, but that made me feel less confident in the cleanliness of the room.

The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating. Didn't really encounter any other staff to rate in any way. The proximity of the location of the hotel and the having a market and Starbucks near by. Easy to get to and out of - right next to the freeway but couldn't hear the traffic for the most part.

The front desk staff were incredibly considerate and helpful...
    • Standard King Room

The housekeeping looked in the top of our windows while we were in the room despite having a Do Not Disturb tag on the door. The bathrooms were clean but very outdated and run-down.

The front desk staff were incredibly considerate and helpful since we were travelling with an infant. Also, the pool area is well maintained and comfortable.

The location was perfect for my needs.
    • Courtyard King Room

The location was perfect for my needs. The property itself was just okay. Rooms were comfortable and neat. There were not enough ice and vending machines in strategic locations for the size of the property.

Good location for where we wanted to be and inexpensive. We were only there to sleep.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The "breakfast bar" was literally the bar! Old, dark, dirty. The "hot" food, cooked there was not very pleasing.

The proximity to our relative's home and the reasonable cost.

• Courtyard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The whole time I was there, there was no soap in the bathroom in the Terrece Room, Door broken in the lobby bathroom. Did not like the fact I did not have carpet on the ground floor.

We will be back!
    • Standard King Room

The front desk staff members were great. The pool was awesome! Breakfast was very good. We stayed for a nearby soccer tournament and we all had a great time!

Nice staff, but old hotel that needs updates.
    • Standard King Room

The A/C unit is so old that I couldn't set it to a tempeture that was comfortable. It was awful. It was so humid in the room all night and the unit was so loud. I didn't sleep well at all.

The king bed was nice.

We really enjoyed our stay, our grandsons loved the pool. We will definately go back.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Unfortunately the toilet didn't flush and it took 3 times for the maintenance man to get it fixed. We were offered another room but had so much luggage we didn't want to pack and repack. We chose not to eat breakfast at the hotel as the restaurant had a very musty smell and was not appetizing.

We really enjoyed the pool and the outside areas. We like the fact the air conditioner worked so well and keep the room very cool. it was good for us that it had a laundry room so we could dry our bathing suits each night. It was a convenient locations close to store, gas, and restaurants. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. The rooms were very quiet.

Great place... great for family... wonderfull employees!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Very good service... the pool is awesome and great family environment... We forget an item.. the hotel personel find it and send me my item to my address... just in a couple of days... so per sure I will stay again in this hotel during any other travel to Thousand Oaks

First day food wad awful.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

the complimentary breakfast was terrible on first day. Went at 6:45 and coffee was only thing ready. The woman working it acted like we were there too early and in her way.

First day food wad awful. Second day went at 6:45 a.m. and nothing was ready lady working acted like we were in her way. Will stay there again but wont eat the breakfast.

Great value! I stayed there 4 nights for a business trip. Would come back again.
    • Standard King Room

Beds were kinda hard, personal taste. I didn't get the wifi to work, but I'm sure I could have asked them to fix it, was too busy to ask. Weird comment here, the toilet was super low to the ground....I'm 5'3" and was thinking how do tall people use this???

Very convenient to amenities. Staff was really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was easy and quick, nice choices. Great value hotel.

Business stay
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

My room had a musty smoke-like smell.

The staff was extremely helpful and the wi-fi was incredibly reliable. The beds were super comfy. They have a hot tub and pool on site which was fun.

awesome getaway
    • Standard King Room

My only suggestion would be to give the grounds a good power wash.

There was no need to leave the hotel. Everything we needed was right there - pool, free breakfast, bar, restraunt and even the grocery store right across the parking lot.

Excellent hotel - perfect & relaxing!
    • Standard King Room

The hotel grounds were beautiful, & well taken care of.Friendly Employees. Loved the salt pool! The Irish restaurant food & drinks next door were yummy!

Nice hotel! Great Value!!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The breakfast was good, but I wish they would have had some more fruit options. It is california and everything was in season. Also, was not happy the pool and patio area were closed for about 4 hours on a Saturday for a wedding. When it was open, it was crowded with wedding guests and kids. I get that is was only one day for a few hours, but, I think I would not have been so irritated with it, if I was not being informed of the wedding and pool closure that same day. Had I known ahead, I could have made other plans for our family and not planned on using the pool at that time.

Everything was great! Breakfast was hot and fresh. Everything was clean. Staff was friendly and helpful

Loved everything especially Brendan's Pub.
    • Standard King Room

That I didn't book more days there!

Loved everything especially Brendan's Pub. We had flown in from the east coast and we were up for hours.. there was an event on the patio and the pool area was a little busy so we decided to hit the pub! The staff there made a memorable impression, gave excellent service, were a lot of fun and helped us unwind! Breakfast was great the next morning and we were sad to leave!!

Older nice property in a good location.
    • Standard King Room

Breakfast was a little lacking. Some items were not available at the time and the eggs were so-so.

Price was good for the location and the room was quiet. Did not use the pool but it looked quite refreshing and the grounds were lovely. The room was clean but this is an older property so do not expect pristine.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Good enough for a night's stay
    • Standard King Room

The room wasn't anything remarkable. It was clean, but not somewhere to spend a lot of time. It was a little cramped, the sofa was uncomfortable, and they had obviously cheaply updated the room and bathroom. However, the bed was clean and comfortable. For our purposes it was adequate.

Breakfast at Brendan's was very good. The courtyard grounds were well kept and inviting. The staff were fantastic!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

It was decent in price, but felt like it was too high.
    • Standard King Room

The staff completely messing up our payment after confirming with us it was taken care of. When speaking with them over the phone about the payment issue, was told a manager would be in contact and never received that call. A little disappointed with the room, pictures made it look a lot better, and felt the quality did not meet the price for one night.

It was decent in price, but felt like it was too high. Staff was good.

Good value, updated hotel in convenient location
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bathroom area with tub & toilet is cramped. Bath facet has strange hot/cold setting and tub had a grey chip in the enamel. A/c & refrigerator noisy at night, no fruit at breakfast.

Staff was super friendly in giving directions, getting us change for tip, room carpet looked new, pool area & gardens around looked nice.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Comfortable Room with Easy Access To 101 Fwy.
    • Standard King Room

Next to freeway. Lack of restaurants and shops in the area. Had to drive a few miles to next town. If you like taking a bath, stopper on tub removed. Refrigerator old and noisy.

Shutters on window, room partially remodeled. Nice landscape with Palm trees surrounding nice swimming pool.

Nice Place, Nice people, but a little dated
    • Courtyard King Room

The TV was abysmal! The signal kept on dropping out and I called for repair. One of the hotel staff checked it out but could not help. I was basically told that the entire wing I was in had problems that were not going to be fixed. I was told a cable person would be called but that never happened as far as I could tell.

The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The staff was very pleasant

Bed was very comfortable!
    • Courtyard King Room

Had to request a new roll of toilet tissue as roll was almost empty, and there was not an extra one.

Bed was very comfortable! Microwave and refrigerator were great to have. Location was perfect for the event we attended at the Thousand Oaks Civic Center.

great location , beautiful grounds, too good to be true??
    • Courtyard King Room

horrible pillows, couch very uncomfortable, noisy fridge, they booked some events with lots of kids and no one controlled them so was noisy and we could not use the pool at all wish there was supervision of the groups that were there as they were out of control til after 10pm

great pool , good breakfast, close to shopping and things to do quiet.

Loved every minute
    • Courtyard King Room

Nothing everything was great.

We loved the hotel very pleased with everything​. Sometimes the pictures are great but when you arrive and see the hotel in person you are really disappointed, not this time we loved the Palm Gardens Hotel. Very nice and helpful staff, room was nice and clean and comfortable. The Irish Pub, Brendan's was great fun, food was very good. The addition of a free breakfast was a surprise, and it was a full breakfast not just sweet rolls and coffee. We had a great time and would go again if in that area.

Very 😄 😁 Pleased!!!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The breakfast was good, however there needs to be a better way to do the waffles. Only one waffle maker just wasn't cutting it. Maybe have a separate table for the waffles with 2-3 waffle makers?

Perfect price I feel. And the employees were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Slice of paradise.
    • Standard King Room

Some of the landscape could be better maintained. One ice machine was broke and there could be more of them.

It felt like a resort. Nice courtyard and great facilities.

Easy and enjoyable property.
    • Standard King Room

Need to update the bathrooms!

I love the location and the being able to park right in front of my room. The property is pretty. Nice weekend breakfast.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Good place to stay in the area.
    • Standard King Room

Couldn't walk around the property as it was raining.

Breakfast was rather disappointing. Much like the mess hall in the Army. Not really clean; waffle machine quite difficult to use.

Nice location - great concept but needs REPAIRS and better upkeep
    • Courtyard King Room

In desperate need of repairs to keep this property safe!!!!!!!! Also, I thought all the rooms had been updated. The beds maybe, but tub and tile are looking shabby. Shower Curtain ripped -really? I would not have guests in my home with a ripped shower curtain! And for 150.00 a night - you can afford a $10 vinyl shower curtain. Toiletries not replaced, seems cheap

Location and overall style of hotel, plantation shutters, courtyard. pool, outdoor seating.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

THE BEST
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were there for St. Patrick's day and the parking lot was packed because of the Irish pub next door.

Michelle was such a great host at the front desk!

Excellent staff; very pet-friendly!
    • Courtyard King Room

Small things - in-room equipment wasn't consistent (a/c was quiet in one, extremely loud in another; fridge was decent in one, too small in another; tv was nice in one, poor quality in another). We had multiple rooms and never would have known otherwise.

The staff was amazing! And that was anyone we interacted with - room service, housekeeping, front desk, maintenance, management. And they took great care of the four-legged guests!!

Because of a good price rate, I would stay there again.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel might be ready for a little face lift. Starting to look a little old.

Breakfast was pleasant. I like that the breakfast stayed open till 10am. Pet friendly hotel was a bonus.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Excellent hotel, staff not the most attentive
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I arrived back to my room late and there were drunk people yelling and playing music very loudly by the central courtyard by the pool until after 2 am around when I arrived. I was too tired and exhausted to ask the staff to keep them quiet and luckily I fell asleep right away, but I was shocked the hotel staff didn't tell them to quiet down because it was very late and they were being very loud, everybody could hear them.

Rooms were nice and clean, the quality of the overall grounds was a lot better than I was expecting

Beds are comfy

Dirty pool

Beds are comfy

So great!

So great!

It was a comfortable stay!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The area was in a nice spot and there were good food options around. The lighted palm trees at night made it easier to find and added a nice touch!

I really enjoyed my staying, even if it was short.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The person at the check in offered us to upgrade the room without me even asking for it. I thought this was very nice form him.

Hot tub and swimming pool and order drinks from the bar

Not

Hot tub and swimming pool and order drinks from the bar

Breakfast was excellent!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Does not apply to me because I enjoyed my stay

Breakfast was excellent! Hotel location

Nice gardens, Attached restaurant/bar
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Mattresses need to be upgraded, pool was dirty/dingy

Nice gardens, Attached restaurant/bar

Bar and restaurant were good.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room was clean but worn. Furniture and fixtures old and worn.it was rated an 8.6 and was far from it.

Bar and restaurant were good.

Free drink vouchers, excellent breakfast!
    • Courtyard King Room

Free drink vouchers, excellent breakfast! Nice room.

Nice staff and front desk, not a great place.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was a motel and had a door to the parking lot - not a hotel.

The bed was like layers of cardboard!

Great facilities

Breakfast limited.

Great facilities

Eggs and waffles were excellent
    • Standard King Room

Could have used fresh fruit at breakfast

Eggs and waffles were excellent

Excellent hotel. Great pool

Noisy group of youngsters

Very large room Very comfortable bed Pool is large and heated

a good stay
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

the breakfast area is too small

nice staffs

Cosy beds friendly staff quiet room
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Only there for one night did not see much more then room & breakfast

Cosy beds friendly staff quiet room

water was not hot!

water was not hot!!

Very nice staff, beautiful courtyard and pool
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bathroom was old, tiny, claustrophobic

Staff was fabulous, quaint style

I love the pool and the breakfast .
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rug needed to be cleaned .

I love the pool and the breakfast .

Location, clean, friendly

Older building

Location, clean, friendly

The running water in the tub faucet.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The running water in the tub faucet.

Relaxing poolside spot

Room like lighting

Relaxing pool area

Perfect location
    • Standard King Room

The area where breakfast was served was very warm inside.

Many Outdoor spaces were relaxing and pleasant.

Nice complimentary breakfast
    • Courtyard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms are dated, but you get what you pay for.

Nice complimentary breakfast

The pool was heated, and the outdoor areas were very pretty
    • Standard King Room

The bed was uncomfortable, lousy pillows

The pool was heated, and the outdoor areas were very pretty

A/C was loud.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

pleasant stay in Thousand Oaks

does not apply

overall, very good for the area

The location was perfect to our event and the staff awsom👍
    • Courtyard King Room

From the time we got there staff very friendly to checking out☺

Overnight stay with our small dog.
    • Standard King Room

Buffet breakfast was very poor. Eggs were overcooked and not much selection for bread.

Bed was very comfortable and place was pet friendly.

Good Stay
    • Standard King Room

Heater/AC System smell Room was a little smelly because of condition of the system

Breakfast was great

Short but sweet

The staff was amazing

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Wonderful stay at a classy property.

Bathroom a bit small.

Beautiful grounds, wonderful front desk help, nice room and beds.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Great place to stay!!!!
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The beds are extra firm. Rooms need more coffee packets.

The rooms are CLEAN and the atmosphere is beautiful.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Toilet seat too low.
    • Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Toilet seat too low. Bathroom sink also too low.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Staff was very friendly and accommodating.
    • Courtyard King Room

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Perfect location!

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Overnight Stay
    • Standard King Room

The breakfast was poor and the kitchen staff unfriendly

The hotel has a nice pool but we didn't use it as the weather was not good

• Reviewed: 29 April 2016

Well located just off U S 101.

Breakfast very poor - plastic cutlery and disposable cups and plates. Really lets the place down

Well located just off U S 101. Rooms are good size - nice pool

There are also 58 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.