Reviews of Vagabond Inn Palm Springs 2 stars

1699 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264, USA

#53 of 69 hotels in Palm Springs

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Nice swimming pool.

Modernization jobs were really in the middle of every place. Old things were thrown away in the middle of the parking and in front of the guests rooms.

Nice swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Wonderful. Met our needs.

Mentioned above.

Suited our needs. Room was roomy, counter space more than adequate, need more drawers and closet, ac marvelous, showers wonderful! LOVE your breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

the staff was friendly and catered to our needs.

I know they don’t allow smoking in the room, but when I came in the first time I could smell some cigarette smoke lingering in the room; also when booking here in booking.com it says that cancellation is free, but as soon as I booked it I was trying to cancel and it’s charging me the price of the whole room. it’s misleading

the staff was friendly and catered to our needs. place is clean and good for the price. location is not fat from downtown palm springs as well

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Happily recommend for your stay in Palm Springs

Would love to see less one use plastic cups, dishes etc. Maybe biodegradable bamboo could be an option.

The pool was in a central position, great spot to cool off & relax. Breakfast was great, sat by the pool. Friendly, helpful staff.

Expected more cleanliness surrounding areas.

It is on renovation, bathroom door paint peeled off. There are not specific smoking area. Hallways smell cigarettes. Pool area needs renovation bottom side cement is peeled.

Breakfast was great. Room cleanliness good. Very close to downtown.

relaxing staying

For us the only downside was...not laundry facilities.we travel light..have to do laundry every 3 days ...;but the staff super helpful us with directions and at the end all good.

The staff are great! The room excellent. .renovated beautiful. The breakfast super nice with those delicious waffles. The pool just perfect.

Great stay

Breakfast ok. Would have been nice if the fruit bowl wasn’t frozen solid. A hit dish, say egggs, would have been nice

Great place. Construction going on but it was all being done in a controlled way

Had fun but had to drive to a better location for food and entertainment

There was a lot of construction going on so there was materials in a few of the parking spots and in the middle of the lot. The only ice machine is by the pool so they were using the back of the hotel so it was a good walk to get to it.

The air conditioning worked amazing

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Room, breakfast and swimming pool were really good.

Unfortunately 2nd night we had neighbours which were very loud and my wife was really scared as the handicaped man shouted to her wife and did big noise (it happened in the afternoon already).

Room, breakfast and swimming pool were really good. Room was clean and wifi connection was perfect. Except the bad experience described below I can really reccomend this hotel

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Will prob be back!

Too many bees in the pool area. Since I’m allergic I had to be aware, and couldn’t completely relax. Water pressure wasn’t good.. had to flush 3+ times. Same with shower water pressure.

The sheets where super comfy. The room met all our needs. Breakfast was way better then expected!!

You simply get what you pay for.

Checked out one day early. Property is under construction. Parking a little challenging due to all of the debris, containers, old furniture, and etc. I simply checked out early without getting a credit. Property is a mess.

Only the location

Construction Mess

Unfortunately, we were not alerted to the excessive construction until our arrival/check in. We were initially placed in the back building on the second floor in the only open room, as the rest of the floor was under construction. We requested to be moved, as the noise, dusts, construction equipment, etc was everywhere...They did honor our request and moved us to a lower level room in the front building. Unfortunately, the ongoing construction, noise and limited parking made for a rough stay...Three of the four lamps in our room didn’t have light bulbs in them and there was zero hot water...Looking for a bed, decent price, a youth hostile feel and easy access to downtown Palm Springs, this is your place...Looking for a relaxing place within amenities, pay the money to stay at one of the resorts...

Location and price, as you get what you pay for...

Great casual atmosphere, friendly staff and not far from downtown.

It was a little unfortunate that renovations were occurring around our room at the time.

We checked in very early in the morning and the night staff person was very helpful and friendly. Even though there were major renovations happening, staff and workmen were excellent in respecting our privacy and allowing us to enjoy the final days of our vacation. The large pool and excellent complimentary breakfast also made the Vagabond terrific value for money (also loved the mini snack bar at reception)! Great work...Thank you again...

Awesome and comfortable

Seeing all the used or former furniture outside the parking lot

I loved everything....can’t wait for the finished renovation in the near future... I hope and pray the wages of your employees go up! They were very professional and helpful.... awesome customer service..... thanks Vagabond.... love your continental breakfast....

Nice hotel in a nice surrounding

The pool contains hot water, thats somewhat strange if you want to take a dip in the pool to cool off because of the 45 degrees temperature outside.

Spacious room, good AC, thats very important here. Surrounding is nice, quit

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Very clean and comfortable :)

The room was really clean, the beds were huge and totally comfortable. The pool area was also nice. The breakfast was more then expected and they even had fresh waffles. The stuff was friendly and polite.

Great staff! Management was awesome! Room was not clean tho'.

The bathroom floor and shower curtain were very dirty. Gross. Wish we had known the facility was undergoing construction. Hopefully the hotel will be better when the construction is completed, in a few years.

The manager was very receptive to our dissatisfaction with the lack of a clean bathroom. She said she would check it out right away. (We were checking out after getting in very late the night before.) She also discounted the price we paid.

Breakfast was great.

The parking lot is a mess. Trash, tools, and construction equipment everywhere. I understand they are upgrading the rooms but all of this construction everywhere is ugly and nasty.

Breakfast was great. Pool was big and lots of lounge chairs.

I was happily surprised with the room.

The breakfast was really not good and the breakfast room is almost non existant but for the price I guess that's not a surprise. You end up having your breakfast by the pool which could be ok if it was not that hot in the desert. So I really think they should make a real breakfast room.

I was happily surprised with the room. It was bigger and nicer than I expected and that what the photos on Booking let me think before I got there.

Never again I would love my money back! I stayed one night because I had to but got a new hotel

Everything the place is a disistater I complain at front desk to get a different room but 75% if the hote ls being remodeled and I got stuck with room that smelled like an ash tray.

The room smelled like cigarettes even tho it was a non smoking the whole place is under constitution. We had no light or AC at arrival. It was a bad experience!

The room was lovely and clean and had everything you could...

Plug sockets/USB chargers to charge your phone was only located at one side of the bed - a little inconvenient when sharing with a friend.

The room was lovely and clean and had everything you could think of. Plenty of car parking places.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Poor quality accomodations

Stains on sheets. Holes in sheets. Dried blood on comforter. Red stains on light switch. Under construction, noisy in parking lot.

Location was central to everything. Easy to find.

I showed up a couple of hours before check-in and the front...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

I showed up a couple of hours before check-in and the front desk arranged for me to check-in sooner. I was able to get the room next to the rest of my palm spring buddies.

The location.

The toilet was dirty. Also the pool area wasn't clean at all. Then people was drinking beer in glass bottles also they were using bad words and a lot of kids were around.

The location. Size of the room. Staff very kind.

Issues!

Construction equipment in parking lot, blocking off parking places.

The facility was decent for the price. It would be better without the construction going on. The contractor should put his equipment elsewhere when the weekend arrives, to allow guests parking ability.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

The hotel staff were amazing.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

The hotel staff were amazing.. Great. The janitor, helped us with our car bumper because they had crashed us at no cause... Staff super helpful. We graceful we stayed at this Hotel..

Clean comfortable room, at a good price
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

Only 1 icemaker for the whole building located at crowded pool noise from pool guest at 11:00/12:00 at night all most forgot icemaker didn't work

Clean comfortable room, at a good price

Brand new room with super new forniture.

Structure is under renovation so it gives a “work in progress” aspect but not bothering

Brand new room with super new forniture. Very comfortable bed. Pool ok

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Beautiful environment.

Pool was dirty and many flies.

Beautiful environment. City nearby. Pool was nice but not clean. There were many men who’re working for make the hotel nice. Our room was renovated but stil there were many mistakes to see.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

LOTS OF CHARM IN NEW ROOMS AND A BARGAIN (FOR NOW)

- People smoking right outside of non-smoking rooms and by pool - Tweakers bothering guests - Undergoing a major renovation with work starting at 6am - Night clerk misinformed me about construction noise - A few decent restaurants nearby but not too much else in walking distance except a couple of liquor stores - No desk, closet, or hangars in remodeled rooms - TVs automatically and annoyingly shut off after 2 hours

- Excellent managers did their best to make things right (thanks again, guys!) - Very dog friendly with no extra pet charge - Fairly large cute remodeled room (except no closet) with nice shower, microwave, fridge, and very comfy bed - Huge wall mounted flat screen HDTV in room (that stupidly turns off on it's own) - Fun pool with fun people and families - Decent buffet breakfast included (waffles, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, good coffee, etc) with tables poolside - Less than a 10 minute drive to downtown

Good place to go - we'd go back.

Swimming pool was too warm, not refreshing. This is a pet friendly hotel, some dog owners leave their dogs in the rooms. We realize this is not the hotel's fault but dog owners should stay with their dogs at night, or have one end of the hotel reserved for dog owners.

Clean, comfortable. Not in the center of Palm Springs but close enough to everything. Good choice of restaurants in the area. Good breakfast and quick service refilling items.

There is a pool.

This stay was one of our worst experiences. Bathrooms in very bad conditions, not clean, sticky. It is s renovation going on we were not told about with extreme noise and trash everywhere. Breakfast can only be eaten outside by the pool and as Palm Springs is in the desert it is not bearable - there is no real shadow.

There is a pool.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

The absolute only thing I think could be improved upon is the shower. Everything else exceeded or met my expectations!

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Super hotel

Good location, clean rooms, we've got an early check-in and an free upgrade because of the construction on the hotel. Very nice lady at the reception.

Great until I got home

I didn't like that after we checked out my girlfriend looked at her bank account and your hotel was 137.51 for two nights on my booking. Com account and you guys charged us 162 plus 25 for idk what. What's up with that?

I liked the location and rooms were clean and staff.

The breakfast selection was pretty good but I would have...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

There was no way to dry any towel except hanging it outside on the balcony. The towels available for the pool were too small.

The breakfast selection was pretty good but I would have liked to see donuts

Never again

Half of the building was under construction and no one bothered to give me a heads up. The front desk staff was unfriendly this time around.

I’ve stayed here before and this time my experience wasn’t as good. For one, they never bothered to tell you they have construction going on so the place is a mess. My sink was filthy and they started drilling at 8am so....now I know why the rate was low. I will not be staying in this property again even once they are done with construction.

Pleasant s

Breakfast: Seating inside was very, very limited. Very HOT outside to enjoy the food. Misters??? Maybe a better set-up for ease of reaching food that was offered inside the small area. Staff was very amicable. The ONLY ice machine available its inside the pool area! Far away from most rooms plus limited access to (gates) to get to the one ice machine.

Breakfast was pleasant. Nice variety.

Good place to stay in

The horrible heat, but thats not the property's fault.

Good breakfast, comfy room, nice ac, pool was a delight to be in and the attendants were very kind.

free parking in front of the hotel, good WiFi, near Joshua...

Pool is not usable during the day - no umbrellas, no shadow places

free parking in front of the hotel, good WiFi, near Joshua Tree National Park, comfortable beds

Disgusting

We have stayed at a Vagabond in Bishop and were very happy with it, we thought that the Vagabond brand would be consistent in it's value and quality. This property was old, poorly maintained and disgusting. The hallways had clumps of hair and other debris, like they hadn't been swept in months. The chairs in our room were stained with dirt, spills and who knows what else. There was a penny on our bed which was weird. The bed was as hard as a rock. I could've overlooked the chips in the door frames and other things that make a place old rather than dirty, had it not been for all the other things that made this experience awful. The bathroom was the worst. There were stains on the wallpaper next to the toilet, I can guess where those came from. The shower water valves where an old yellow plastic, which on its own is fine, but inside was black with mold. This is the worst place we've ever stayed at. We couldn't wait to wake up in the morning to leave, we didn't even shower.

Good location and facilities

Rooms were fine - Motel currently undergoing renovations - not a problem to us. Breakfast was fine - nice outdoor area by the pool to enjoy your food and drink. Good location and easy access to town especially on Thursdays to Sundays when the BUZZ is active - gets you a free ride to main shopping and dining area. Good street fest on Thursdays. Plenty of local dining within walking distance of Motel. All in all a good stay. Thanks

Conveniently located and clean

All good.

I've never stayed here before but was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was, including comfy. Good location. Nice pool. Clean. Staff was professional. Overall, this is a place I would go back to next time I visit.

WORSE EXPERIENCE EVER!!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

Sorry but there was a dead worm and a blood stain on the sheet in the bed thats why we can not sleep one of beds that we have. In checkout time we told our problem to the front desk but they can not make any refund like kidding us. That was a very very bad experience for us. Highly unrecommended!

We can not find any positive thing.

Great value for our stay! We would come again.

Some if the furniture looked old.

I loved the continental breakfast, especially the 2 waffle machines. I appreciated that there was a coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave in our room.

Nice location and off the Main Street very quiet area...

Bathroom area needs to be updated had low water pressure and exhaust system did not work

Nice location and off the Main Street very quiet area housekeeping very helpful

Lovely place, near to bars and restaurants with a great pool area

We had to leave early to get to our next destination so missed breakfast!! Would have loved to have stayed longer than the night we had planned there.

Lovely room and pool area - warm swimming pool and large jacuzzi open until late so you can swim under the stars. It was our honeymoon and staff left flowers and a bottle of wine in our room for our arrival which was a lovely surprise and greatly appreciated!

Great room, great location. Very satisfied.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

The property was under construction so they had many signs apologizing for the "extra" dust but it was not the case at all. Our room and the property was very clean and comfortable. The location is also very convenient. We did not pay more than $10.00 to get around town via Uber or taxi. I will definitely be returning to the Vagabond.

Comfy, relaxing and convenient.

The room decor as well as the outdoor lights on the buildings need an update; pool area should be swept daily ( was a bit dirty). Otherwise, good stay for the money.

Overall, a clean and quiet property. Definitely more of a “chain motel” feeling than many of the smaller Palm Springs offerings. Glad to see they are renovating as the room decor was definitely outdated. Beds were super comfy and the AC worked great. Great last minute getaway place!

Great staff and great price.

The breakfast was great, eggs, waffles, cereal, better than most continental breakfasts. The room was comfortable and the staff was very friendly. I would stay here again. Great location and price.

crappy

The shower head did not work The keys did not work 1 night No attendanets at the desk to help been here many times probably won't come back

Nice help at check in

It was someplace to sleep but we won’t stay there again.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

While the room and bathroom were clean, the room smelled like smoke and the bathroom had an aweful smell. The pool was not very clean and the other guests were loud, drinking and cursing. Latin music was being played over a dj style speaker. It just wasn’t my family’s scene.

The employees were very friendly.

Always love to stay here.

The noise of the landscapers starts early. Best to park cars away from the building or close windows for dust, dirt and water.

Always love to stay here. Been coming since the 1960’s. Like the view for sunrises and sunsets, the location as I walk to Hike and in to town to shop, my hair stylist is across the street and they have a continental breakfast with waffles, cereal, fruit etc.

I just want to say I give 10 in all areas.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

I just want to say I give 10 in all areas. The front check in staff to the facilities staff all wonderful very helpful. The pool area was nice clean and amazing. The breakfast had everything you could think of. I would definitely recommend this place. I really don’t get some of the reviews. But for us it was an awesome stay will definitely come again. Keep up the great work in providing excellent customer service to your customers

We would stay here again for short stays only.

I felt like the Woman at the front desk could have been more personable. Guests arguing in the common area at 2:30 am made it difficult to get any sleep.

Great location, easy parking and reasonably priced.

Good value

Not many places to eat in walking distance (at least not, if you are looking for more low budget options), but you can always order pizza;)

-Staff was super nice and helpful, -pool closes at 11pm, but security guy gave us 30 more minutes -asked if we could still hang out at the pool after checking out, was no problem at all -very clean rooms -lots of parking spaces

definitely worth to recommend

The breakfast could be better. A few slices of cheese, cold meats and vegetables such as tomatoes or cucumbers shouldn't be a problem.

We slept in several Vagabond locations in California. This Vagabond had by far the best quality.

Won’t stay there again

The bathroom toilet had pee all over it.the bath room had not been cleaned. Sloppy maid service the maid that cleans that room needs to be checked on. I worked at a hotel and know basic service to five star service this was -1

Nice budget stay in palm springs.

Nothing in particular. The shower was too low hanging and the water just drippled. The tapestry was coming off. It was a little bit off the centre, but a free bus took you into the centre in 10mins. Aside from that everything was fine.

The poolside was nice and the breakfast was decent. For the price this hotel was a nice stay. Nothing really stood out as bad or good. Just a nice stay for 1-2 days.

Great last minute pick for a girls weekend. Affordable, comfortable and close to downtown.

The front desk staff was very helpful and welcoming. The rooms had new hard floors, bed was comfortable. We enjoyed the extra little touches (usb adaptors at the lamps, magnifying mirror for us ladies, nice counters space in the bathroom, refrigerator). Pool area isn't the prettiest but you get a pool, some shade and a place to lounge! I would come back.

great value for the price...

Bed was not very comfortable for me, it was a bit too hard and the tub needed some work.

Location, very close to restaurants and Spa Resort Casino. Breakfast, air conditioning works well, fridge, microwave and all the staff.

Would stay here again

The room was not that big and the bathroom needs a little update. Everything else was great!

The room was very clean. Poolside area is great, very clean with a lot of deckchairs. The breakfast was very good, better than in most of the hotels where we staid before.

The view and location

Being renovated. Loud noises from leaf blowers and power tools. Carpet is OLD Barefoot in room after shower and feet dirty in an hour of walking around room. No more windows that open so no good air circling thru the room. My sheets had holes in them.

The view and location

we felt safe and everyone friendly. we would stay there again

The renovation happening was a little tough the first couple of days, as they were working right outside our door. but than they stopped for the weekend. hopefully that gets completed for next season.

very friendly and helpful staff. the property was close to downtown & a couple of shopping areas (loved the Steadmart) and golf (affiliated with Indian Canyons south course) that was so nice to find out.

Location was good and the pool was nice.

The stairs have treads that are extremely rough, and I scraped my legs on them several times. I would have chosen a different hotel if there had been more options. I prefer smaller and more intimate hotels.

Location was good and the pool was nice. Breakfast was okay, but crowded. We picked this hotel because it was one of the few that still had rooms available, and I booked it just a week in advance, for Easter week-end.

the pool was great.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

There were some snafus- the extra bed I ordered wasn't there when we arrived. I had paid in full when I booked it, but then they charged my husband's CC for the first night AGAIN when he checked in. They put us in a single room with one bed instead of a double room and then moved us after we'd unpacked. They fixed all these issues eventually, but it was a big aggravation.

the pool was great. the beds were comfy. the bathroom was very dated. it's no-frills, but well-located for the money.

Cute, quiet and cheap place to stay for a weekend.

Nothing, this place met our expectations.

The pool had great morning sunshine and decent breakfast options. We stayed here for Coachella and enjoyed the room, good value.

Very commendable. Lots of positive changes since our last visit .

Can’t think of anything that needed to be improved.

The pool area was nice ,the room very comfortable and had good amenities. The continental breakfast was very good.

We will go back.

Breakfast was about average and a good start to the day. Pool and hot tub were clean and warm/hot. Staff was helpful and willing to please. Room was smallish but clean with a good bed,tv, fridge and microwave. VIEW VIEW. Complex was right at the base of the local mountains.

As above

The hotel was very outdated and they could only give me a room in the back where I was isolated, alone and it was kind of scary. When I asked to move, they said it was the best they could do since I booked on a third party website.

I was able to get a room.

Room was not cleaned several hours after we requested.

Room was not cleaned several hours after we requested. In fairness, we did arrive earlier than the official check-in time, but the cleaning was not so well done. The toilet was not clean inside and there were a few used towels left on top of an open ironing board.

The swimming pool was great.

We didn't know that the breakfast area was outside, with only a couple of tables inside. Lucky for us it was a nice morning, but we hadn't brought our sunglasses down and it was VERY bright in our eyes.

The swimming pool was great.....grandkids had a ball playing!

Floor was filthy in room and bodily fluids smeared on walls in several places...when brought to attention of staff they didn’t really seem to care....also too many youngsters standing around eating in the small breakfast room....they should be told to get their breakfast and go outside as the room is too small and people are already walking around knocking into each other.

Had a great time
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Pool View

No fans in bathroom Taking a shower with a challenge because the water kept on going from hot to cold

Staff was awesome very friendly will to help you outt

Good stay, nice clean room and all the amenities we needed.

Bed was a little uncomfortable.

Nice clean room. Friendly worker at counter when we checked in and also same friendly worker when I had to replace lost key to room. Location was close to all things we wanted and/or needed to do.