Reviews of Hotel Pennsylvania 2 stars

5.5

5.1

Very well located.
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

Employees are a little bit rude and the management it’s bad. It’s a huge hotel, a lot people and it’s not easy to handle everything but they should treat customers better and find better solutions to deal with the workflow. We had a problem with a flooding bathtub and it was not easy to handle. Breakfast it’s impossible unless you have a lot of time available to wait on a huge line for a croissant, juice and coffe.

Very well located. Good for short periods. Humble but seemed clean.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Was just as the reviews suggested but great location
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Rooms need a full refurbishment. Our room had mold on the ceiling and the bedding felt damp. The general areas of the hotel just felt a bit run down.

Breakfast was great, large pastries, nice it was included City Perk coffee bar was great in the lobby Luggage store on final day was great Staff were helpful and changed the first bedroom offered as we weren't happy with it Perfect location in the city and great for tramsfer from airport direct to Penn Station opposite the hotel Linen and towels changed daily.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

First room i got smelled of moldy, the carpet on the floor was soaking wet. Bathtub was broken and dirty. There where no towels on arrival. After one sleepless night because of the smell we got another room that was ok. Every thing on the hotel looks like the maintenance is little or nothing at all. My guess it hasn't been painted on this century. I will never stay there again!

HELL On EARTH.
    • Classic Room with Three Twin Beds

I hated EVERYTHING😠 1)filthy carpets. 2)infested with mice and rats. 3)unhelpful staff. 4) mould all over the walls. 5)damp smell in the rooms. 6) I had small bite marks on my arms which I think were caused by bed bugs.

This place was an absolute dump, I had rats and cockroaches in my room, the staff were rude and didn’t care, they said they could move me to a higher floor because the rats don’t climb that high😂

Depressing
    • Classic Room with King Bed

Miserable. Depressing. I went home early as staying at Hotel Pennsylvania was so disappointing I couldn’t enjoy my holiday. I regret choosing to stay there.

Pretty much okay.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Extra pillows. Two, flat foam pillows just weren't enough. The tv in the elevator was tuned to FOX News. Really? First, there's no need for a tv in an elevator, second, FOX News is not at all informative. It's pretty much nothing more than political propaganda. Something related to NYC would have been far more apropos. The front desk lines were far too long.

Bad choice hotel
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Extra charge. They fooled me with an "deposit" charge. In the end I got charged almost 200$ more than the price Booking.con gave me. They said "free cancel , pay later" but they charged me instead. Before we arrived I send them am email through booking.com to get an early check in. They didn't answer my request because they have a very good sistem of charging you 5$ / luggage to hold them till your check in time (3pm). It was a bad choice and the hotel turned up to be considered a "transit hotel". On the other hand the bathroom was completely old. Sink barley hanging on and the bath rusted with ols water stains. We work for a big company and we know what clean means. I would be quiet if it wasn't for the extra charges for the room and luggages.

The only thing i liked about this old and refurbished hotel was the location.

GREAT value for your dollar.
    • Classic Room with King Bed

I could have had more towels, but I'm sure if I had asked for them, I would have gotten them. The ceiling was peeling, but nothing fell on us, so that was ok. I could have used a coffee maker, as well as a microwave. Please understand, for the price, it was WORTH it.

I received a free room upgrade upon check-in. I also received free drink coupons. Staff was friendly and polite. The room was ok, considering the rate I was charged, which was excellent. The huge bathtub was a plus.

The only positive to this hotel is its location
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

We had to change rooms after our first night - the 1st room had a strange smell to it and it was mouldy & grubby. Our 2nd room wasn’t much better but didn’t have a smell. Am certain there were bugs in the floor as my feet & ankles were itchy & spotty after day one room 2. Would never recommend this hotel. Oh yes - the staff were as grumpy as heck! As for continental breakfast - a bun & a coffee - Plus a juice or water This wasn’t a cheap stay +$1300 for 5 nights - a complete rip off

The only positive to this hotel is its location

• Classic Room with King Bed

The room smelled like mold, the bathroom was so hairy and moldy, It was terrible. We were afraid to step on the tiles. We cleaned the toilet with wet wipes and hand sterilizer before we used. The cleaning was horrible.On the chair we found used tissues the carpet was stained and dirty.

• Classic Room with Double Bed

This hotel is disgusting. I was definitely lax in my search for a nice hotel that was inexpensive but lesson learned, I will do my homework better next time. The hotel is very dated and terribly unkempt. The whole experience was awful and I can't get the smell of mold out of my nose. I should have known that since this hotel is owned by Vornado Realty that it would be in disrepair. This company owns the Oakdale Mall in Johnson City, NY and it has become a ghost town, dated and in need of repair. My guess is that they buy up property on the cheap with the hopes of letting it crumble only to sell it at a higher price for demolishing and developing. On a positive note, I have read that several times this hotel was to be demolished but historical societies keep it from happening. If this hotel were to finally be demolished, at least I could say that I stayed at a hotel that was an icon in its heyday. So like being able to enjoy the full view in the 1970s from the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, both World Trade Centers, and other landmarks before they were limited or destroyed, so be it with this hotel. My grandfather stayed here in the 1940s when he was selling Endicott Johnson shoes. I will have to imagine that he was able to see the hotel in its glory.

The location was good

Appalling! Should be closed down as detrimental to health.
    • Classic Room with King Bed

Rodents, mildew, mould, stained sheets and very damp bedding right through to mattress!

The entrance is lovely however it only hides the horrors that await inside!

Not worth going here. The government needs to look into this place and MAKE this place or shut it
    • Classic Room with King Bed

The room The toilet The hallways The towels were old and the room had no tv remote. Everything was so wrong in this hotel The staff were very rude

This place is a sham. It needs to be shut down. The room was mouldy and smells. The hallways were so filthy. Honestly this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at and I was shocked that this type of place is given the permission to exist and charge people so much money. The only beautiful part of this hotel is the lobby but filled with rowdy teenagers running around. I am not one to give reviews on places but this one really called for me to do so. So bad. I hope I don't get sick from all the bad air I inhailed in my room overnight. I had no option because I arrived from overseas so late at night and needed a place to lay my head for a few hours.

Had to change room when we arrived as the valance covering ...
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

Had to change room when we arrived as the valance covering which was on one of the beds was very stained with blood. The manager was apologetic. The second room we moved to was slightly better. The bedding was clean as was the bathroom but the general cleanliness in the room is VERY poor. The hotel requires major refurbishment and decoration throughout. The photos on the website DO NOT give an accurate representation of the rooms on offer. Breakfast was a 30/40 min queue for juice, tea or coffee and 1 pastry this will cost you $7 PP if you decide to pay on arrival. This is a very busy hotel and the reception is always busy with people checking in but I would NOT recommend staying in the hotel.

Possibly the worst hotel I've ever seen
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Possibly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Everything about this hotel is awful. Where is the customer service? The staff have been rude and unfriendly. The rooms are run down with broken plugs and mould on the ceiling. $300+ per room is an absolute joke. The breakfast was ridiculous - in a brown paper bag with no place to sit. They charge to leave your bag once checked out; never have I experienced this in any other hotel.

The location.

Awful, dirty and beyond comprehension!! DO NOT BOOK TO STAY HERE
    • Classic Room with Two Twin Beds

This place is the PITS! Do not under any circumstance book to stay at this hotel! The way rats! Checkin was a 1 j Hour and 49 minuet wait to then be told at 1:35 in the morning that our room was not ready! Discusting place! I would advice Booking.com remove it from their listings!

Absolutely nothing, awful , beyond comprehension how bad this place is!!

Disappointed!!!

Maintenance maintenance or close

Understandably old but if it’s not maintained to the extent of being a hazard to people’s health then it shouldn’t be used. Maybe the cheapest in the area but it is still very expensive for the condition of the room. Moldy and smelly!!!

The hotel was old and dated.
    • Classic Room with Four Twin Beds

The hotel was old and dated. The rooms and floors smelt of dirt. The rooms were old and the carpets looked as if they haven’t been cleaned in years. The mattresses were stained and the bathrooms fixtures were all lose and falling apart. We were on the 4th floor in a four person room that included breakfast but when we arrived we were told that it is only two guests per room who get the free breakfast (coffee and pastry) it was horrendous. The check in staff were rude and obnoxious. Especially a blonde receptionist who was shouting at her colleagues to apply themselves like they did in school. She had a horrible attitude and was no help with our reservation. We had to wait over an hour in line to check in . The only thing that is good about the hotel is the location.

WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER
    • Classic Room with Two Twin Beds

Where do I even start.... I booked this hotel because of its location. Since it was my mom’s and my first time in New York, I thought we had to stay in Midtown to be able to go anywhere. Boy, was I wrong. 7th Ave is not my cup of tea, but thankfully we did get to walk or take the subway from it. The ONLY upside of the stay at Hotel Pennsylvania... A second reason I booked this hotel is because of the price. Since I hardly book through Booking.com, I honestly did not read between the lines. There were hidden costs such as service costs (for what service?!?) and (tourist) taxes. It was not at all an affordable place. And even if I’d pay a bit more, I would have expected a nice hotel, WORTH ALL THIS MONEY. When we arrived in the hotel lobby, I felt like I just travelled back in time, instead of Europe. Unlike all other hotel guests - arriving in the following days - our check-in went pretty smooth. The horror only began when we arrived in the room. A mold spot in one corner, dirty walls, an almost broken sink (it was hanging on by a thread), dirty bathroom floor, rusty bathroom rack, dusty desk, a television with only one channel (I tried everyday to add more but it wouldn’t work), dusty sheets... yeah, the list goes on and on. Since I was so tired from the trip and already noticed the lazyness of the staff. I didn’t say anything that day. I thought I was just overreacting. The following days, I read up on other reviews and came to terms with what was the worst thing I ever spent my money on: this disgusting hotel. When we checked in, we also received vouchers for breakfast. Our first morning, there was a massive line to get breakfast. We just left and then discovered what what it was actually for. It was indeed breakfast, the one you get from a small table over in a corner and you have to eat standing up in the lobby. As if we were homeless people begging for breakfast. We paid 1.900 dollars for a disgusting hotel with no service whatsoever.

If I had one good thing to say, it might be the location: close to a few metro lines. But at the same time it was way too busy and noisy (it’s on 7th ave)

Not worth it. Great location but everything else is awful
    • Classic Room with King Bed

I didn't like that even though the booking was for three people, the room only had one bed, and they only offered breakfast for two people, extremely weird. Also, they didn't have a restaurant to have breakfast in, they just gave us a juice, a coffee and a muffin, not very healthy either, and really long queues to get breakfast. On the room, the AC was really loud, and they didn't have a mini fridge for us to cool our drinks. Also, they didn't provide shampoo or other hygiene essentials on the bathroom, not even a shower cap. Also, we arrived really early, before check in time, and they would charge us to store our luggage before check in.. I've never seen a hotel do that before, 5 USD per bag, and the luggage storage closes at 7 pm, so we almost spent our first night without luggage since we didn't know about that when we arrived back for our check in. Also, if you want to send packages to our room, they only allow 5 per room, not even per person, and charge 5 dollars each (never seen a hotel do that before either). Also, the queue for check in when we arrived, was for like 45 mins.. they should have more staff working there if they're handling that many people, and when we wanted to go to the toilet, they gave us a key to the toilet in the basement, that smelled awful, and there were people having sex in one of the stalls (ladies' bathroom)

I liked that the bed provided was big and comfortable, as well as the room, and that the hotel was very well located, right in front of the Madison Square Garden. Good wifi also.

Nasty dated unclean hotel.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Rugs are nasty. People rushed in the hotel no real control if it was guest entering or other people. Police came rushing by me into elevators we didnt get to know what happened. I hated it wasted my money. The housekeeping supervisor talked to me with an attitude.horrible hotel.

A really rotten place.
    • Classic Two Bedroom Suite

A really rotten place. Nobody cares about anything. But this is New York and pricing is okay. It actually booked the hotel because you can still smoke on certain floors ...

• Classic Room with King Bed

The staff where all very rude , the check in process took 1.5 hours when we finally got the the counter at 11 pm we where told that our room wasn’t ready , we then waited until they found another room , we walked into this room and it had rubbish in the bin and had clearly been walked into by another person who had left in disgust . The room was so dirty you couldn’t walk bare foot on the carpet as your feet ended up black , we had to purchase our own mould killer bathroom spray to make the bathroom usable , the walls had dirty greasy hand prints , the bathroom door wouldn’t close due to the door being so swollen and damaged , the curtains where filthy , the air conditioner unit was so dirty we have both left feeling sick and fluey, the wooden bed head had ejaculate on it !!!! - booking.com you need to stop selling this property ! DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL !!!!

Hotel PigPennysylvania
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

The hallways were dark. Carpets in hallways were very musty and smelled. Even looked dirty. A turnoff. Could use air freshner or purifying. They charged us 5.00 a bag to store.

Our room was renovated and clean. The location is ideal. Lobby was clean and renovated.

. The room was cleaned and comfy .
    • Penn 5000 Room with King Bed

The bad smell ... the comum areas outside the elevators smell really bad. The breakfast is just surreal for this type of hotel. But still a 2 stars hotel so I can’t complain We had a Penn 5000 king size bed. The photos in booking.com are totally different of the reality.

. The room was cleaned and comfy . The localisation ! Perfect!

This hotel needs a serious overhaul.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

This hotel needs a serious overhaul. The rooms were dirty and curtains etc should have bee replaced a long time ago. The dirt is set in the walls. I've stayed in lots of hostels all over the world and the level of cleanliness was better than here. We had to change rooms.

The hotel is in desperate need of an update to the rooms and a thorough clean
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

The activity sellers that bombarded you as you stepped outside the front of the building.

The view of the Empire State we had was special from our room but could have been better if the window was cleaned, though may be hard to do 10 floors up.

Location was spot on, bed was comfy
    • Penn 5000 Room with Double Bed

Not enough staff at the desks (shocking). Shower was too powerful and at one point there was a mouse in our room and shot out into another room. Spent the whole holiday putting towels up against the doors 😕

Location was spot on, bed was comfy

Disgusting, horrible experience.
    • Classic Room with King Bed

It is a disgusting hotel, very old, run down, paint peeled off the roof and fell down on my daughter during the night!! Had 3 different rooms because of problems and they were all horrible. Other family stayed too and their rooms were also terrible. The service is shocking. And it cost so much money. I have travelled all over the world and this is the worst I have ever stayed in. If you are booked in, run away as fast as you can!!!

Nothing about this place is good.DO NOT STAY HERE

Never Again
    • Classic Room with Two Twin Beds

Staff at reception are too concerned about pointing fingers at whoever they feel responsible for their failure to the job as a time consuming line of guests builds up in front of them. Slow, rude and unfriendly are words that come to mind. After waiting and eventually receiving our room key we ventured out of the grand reception and up the elevator to reveal a murky old outdated decor. Upon the difficult arrival to the room due to lack of guidence I opened the door to see that the room was still occupied by its previous guests. Turning around I made my way back to reception, on the way a mouse ran across my path. Once in the reception I was not surprised to see the line doubled and felt sorry for the people just joing it. Skipping the line as I previously just spent an hour waiting in it, I went up the receptionist who unprofessionally proceeded to complain about the situation to her fellow coworker and pointed me towards another who sent me straight back to her. When sorted I went back to collect my possessions and friend who waited patiently outside of the occupied room, dragging our suitcasees across a thick carpet we made our way to our new room which was even harder to find. Once inside the room I was disappointed to see the condition of the room. Dirty, damp and completely the opposite of it’s misleading photos online. Mold spread across the walls and dust settled over an old dresser, the bathroom was in worse condition as parts of the cracked enamel in the bathtub was missing and hair littered over the floor. It’s safe to say I didn’t spend much time in the place and purposely stayed outside and far away from the premises for as long as possible. When returning to the property we walked straight passed the security into the elevators who didn’t even move an inch as multiple people waltzed passed by him despite the sign saying you must provide a room key to continue further, anyone could’ve walked in. I would never recommend this place.

Mice and cockroaches in hotel Pennsylvania
    • Classic Room with King Bed

I DO NOT recommend this hotel. In less than 48 hours we changed rooms twice. The day we checked in we found a Mouse in the room. I immediately went down to the manager who apologised saying that the hotel is located under a train station (PENN station) and it was difficult to control the situation. He moved us from floor 3 to 5. The second night, we woke up with a strange noise...a Mouse eating our food. I called reception and again they apologised and send someone over to hand us the keys to another room. At 2am we packed our stuff and moved to floor 15 (no one helped us with the luggages). The next morning I spoke with a different manager who had a "I'm sick and tired of listening to this story". This one didn't even try to apologise for the inconvenience. I asked him for a refund/compensation because It's not normal to pay USD 2.400 for a room in such conditions. He directed me to booking.com (as the booking was made through them). Meanwhile, we were sharing the room with COCKROACHES in the bath tub (I have a picture to prove it). From Booking.com I communicated with different people (one in particular even tried to call me liar because I did not have pictures to prove the mouse was in the room). For that I apologise, I was too busy running away from the disgusting animal!!!! To wrap up, I was in a ping-pong and nothing was done! During my stay I spoke with different staff members and non of them was surprised with my story, there was even a lady (braver than me) that brought one mouse to the front office staff!!! Another staff member told me that everyone is aware of it but since the location is good people will keep coming!!! I do not want to influence anyone, I'm sharing my personal experience. If you're reading this please be prepared for everything. I did read some reviews before hand: long check in and breakfast lines, old/dirty carpets...honestly, I could live with it. I didn't predict this! Never again!!!

Good location and staff (breakfast staff)

I really like my stay at hotel pennsylvania.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

The room needs a paint job and it was dirty but our maid cleaned it nice.

Hotel was close to everything. Staff were very nice especially our maid and Donna that was on the phones. It was a great price.

Don't go!
    • Classic Room with Four Twin Beds

Our booked room was not available upon arrival. They suggested a different room with an extra bed. We arrived there at 9pm. We were waiting for the extra bed, call reception, walk down to reception several times and the extra bed never arrived. One of us had to sleep on the floor!

The location is the only good thing of this hotel

Perfect
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Check in late at noght and not many staff on so took ages to check in but after that everything was great.

Our room was beautiful. I have no idea why this hotel is a 2* it should be at least a 3 maybe a 4

Worst place in NY
    • Classic Room with King Bed

Unfriendly and unhelpful staff at reception. Bathroom anf airconditioning in the room were full of mold. Place hasn't been renovated since the 1950s.

Centrally located

Not a Hotel I Recommend
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

There was no coffeemaker in the room.

The room was in very poor condition. The walls were marked up, the furniture was very beaten up, the carpet was worn out, black mold was on the AC, and the bathroom window was broken so it would not close all the way.

• Classic Room with King Bed

Poor lighting, aircon not properly maintained, there is a resident mouse in the room, towels not replaced regularly, we have to call housekeeping for replacement for two consecutive days.

The only good thing was the location.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Everything could/should be better. Old hotel, creepy hallways, rats in the hallways (I had to protect my door with boxes so there's no risk of have an unpleasant visitor), the bathroom is super old, leaking sink/shower, power plugs destroyed, bed not comfortable and smelly, breakfast was a freak show, staff super rude, they charged us to receive our packages (even calling before and confirming that any fee would be applied), long lines at the front desk and no parking available. They have a vallet but it costs 52 dollars per night.

The only good thing was the location. Close to the subway station, times square and some other places.

Overpriced, disgusting room, slow check in and out, good location.
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

The staff weren't very cheerful, the room was damp and mouldy, no quilts, no shower screen, bathroom door wouldn't shut properly.

Good location.

Location was so convenient.
    • Penn 5000 Room with King Bed

The room service Hotel Penn took my order and gave receipt but never sent the food. They owe me 21 dollars. Never addressed my texts and e mails. Would not recommend it at all.

Location was so convenient. Room clean, staff very nice.

Worst experience I have faced .
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Noting is good ..only good thing you find there is location..room was smelling .and it was toooo bad..

Worst experience I have faced ...no neatness .

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Check In process was long, 3 people processing a lines of 50. Wait was exhausting. The maintenance of the building and floor entrances was old, dirty. Then the rooms, wow have they ever been maintained,painted, window was horrific, couldn’t even see a view or my reflection. The skirting boards hadn’t since a cleaning tool since 1900. The carpet looked from the same era. The aircon system made me physically sick when I looked into it. The walls surrounding it where black with mould, unhealthy and dangerous. The plugs hung out of the wall, this possibly a fire risk.....you bet ya. The bath room...... 1900 bath.....wouldn’t lay in there even if I was unconscious, the curtain rail was full of mould and body fat around the surrounds. This place need paint, carpet, revamped fittings. Start putting the income you reap into the care and love for this old building its crying out for it. It’s disgraceful how this has not been done. Hotel Pennsylvania has only one way..........Down down and down. Think it’s best to bomb it and start afresh. Check for asbestos, it’s going to be there.

Location. Valet service.

It was ok. Probably wouldn't stay again.
    • Penn 5000 Room with King Bed

The room was musty, old, for 20 bucks more a night I could have stayed at the Hilton down the street had cleaner, newer rooms and breakfast. There was so many people all the time the lines were long and we could never get breakfast. Lights in the bathroom so dark I could barely get ready.

The bed was Comfy and location was great.

Horrible Hotel
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

The room, condition of the hotel, air conditioner didn’t work well, bed was uncomfortable and pillows were flat. Staff was unfriendly and rude.

Very disappointed. Room was in poor condition, staff wasn’t friendly and housekeeping broke my curling iron. Worst hotel I have ever stayed in

not satisfied
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

small room, old bathroom, no A/C, no service, some of the staff not friendly , paying high rate does not meet the hotel values

is not worth it for the money, old with bad facilities, poor wifi, no service as other hotels, long queue to do your check in or out, i do not recommended at the end

Location is the sole strength of this hotel
    • Classic Room with Three Twin Beds

The room was dirty and very noisy, the staff were not helpful at all, the breakfast is not worthy at all (cafe+juice+bun). Does not matter how many people are in the room, there are breakfast tickets for two By the way, several costumers complaint about mice in their rooms!!

Location is the sole strength of this hotel

Wil not return
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

the check in system was awful, half hour wait because they only had 2 staff at the front desk. equally bad checking out and getting a luggage tag to store my one bag. room was just ok but the pillows were flat as pancakes, terrible. the front desk staff did not seem to care about anything.

location is the only thing that this hotel has going for it

Miserable three night people are being ripped off
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

There was nothing to like in this junkyard

Rooms like old small bed and and not clean linings also air condition was not working This place like a boot camp not for rental at that price.

Loved it all!

Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was ok.. coffee, orange juice and a pastry of your choice, however the hotel is huge and there were 3 people giving out breakfast in the lobby(to take away,no dining area)the Q was crazy so we only picked it up once out of the 3 days. What I wish someone had told me was there are computers in the lobby to check yourself in and get your key card! We waited to check in for about 40 mins which could have avoided. I will be returning 🙂

• Classic Room with Double Bed

The staff was unfriendly, arrogant and not helpful. The line at check in was very long (it took an hour) with only a couple of tellers. Booking.com deceives customers, do not ever use them.

NOTHING!

More than 250 Bucks per night for a dirty, stinking, ugly hotel room.
    • Classic Room with King Bed

All. I do not find as much F* which are necessary to describe the hotel. I paid more than 250 Bucks per night. And that was already a discounted rate. Every youth hostel in Europe does provide a higher and cleaner standard as that "Hotel????". Staff was unfriendly and just kept their a* on the chair and their eyes on the mobile phone when you tried to ask them a question or asked for help. The bathroom was on the same cleanless level like a public wc after a one week concert.

Actually, even i do think hours about that question, i cannot find anything like to answer.

Pathetic. i checked out the same day!
    • Penn 5000 Room with King Bed

My room had a mouse in it, and when i tried to complain I was told " dont worry it comes from the subway" (i was on the 12th floor). "manager is unavailable (i could get through after 3 hours). "we have to investigate it, and it will take time , so we will charge you extra night" ( what the hell! I am not paying 250$ a night to listen to this!)

everything was ok, nothing extra special that they were offering that the others were not.

Not good
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

The room had mould on the ceiling and the wall. There was thick dust on skirting boards and lamps. The shower in the bathroom had dirty grout and discoloured tiles. Breakfast was dreadful, queuing up for 30 mins to eat standing in the lobby.

Location was excellent

Worst hotel in my life
    • Classic Two Bedroom Suite

This is the worst hotel I have ever come accross in my life. The Customer Service has charged almost 500 USD for a mistake I made with the dates when booking.

Nothing. Do not go to this hotel.

DON’T DO IT!!!
    • Classic Room with King Bed

Tried staying here 3 times now. The first time took 2hrs to check in but the room was pretty good. 2nd time we got a late flight in and they gave away leaving us stranded at 1am in Manhattan without a room. THIS time it took over 3hrs to get check in and I had to change rooms 3 times. Their excuse is that ‘they’re the cheapest hotel in Manhattan’ and that seems to be an acceptable excuse - it’s just not. Pay more, go elsewhere and save the stress you’re just a number here - I would say the staff I did speak to were amazingly helpful but clearly the owners just want to squeeze every dollar out of tourists and the poor staff get the brunt of it.

Good Price, Good Location, Large Rooms but stay on 13th floor or higher or skip this hotel.
    • Penn 5000 Room with Two Double Beds

mice problems, a/c not keeping room cool, hour wait for check-in even if prepaid day or night, hard to find someone if you need help.

location great, price good, free breakfast, large rooms for New York City, we were moved to another room that was much cooler and mouse free right away when issue reported. Book a Penn 5000 room

4.0
    Worst room ever!!!
    • Classic Room with King Bed

We waited 40 minutes to check in. They gave us the wrong room and we had to go back downstairs and get the room that we paid for—King sized bed. The plaster was cracked and falling off, paint was peeling, the doir knob was so loose it almost fell off. Mold in the bathroom. We would have called the manager, but the phone did not work (was plugged in but no dual tone). We would have complained to the manager, but did not have time to wait another 40 minures or more. Big disappointment for an historic hotel where the foyer was beautiful but the rooms are a dump. Needs lots of maintenance to bring it up to par. We will never stay there again. Holiday Inn Express is a jewel compared to Hotel Pennsylvania.

Continental bteakfast was good. Location was good.

Gross
    • Classic Room with King Bed

The New Yorker, right around the corner, was $177/night. This was double and it was disgusting. Comforters from 1971. Windows super dirty (you'd look out the window on a Sunny day and think its Cloudy out!). Paint chipping away in the tub. Room and hallways dingy and dirty.

It has a good location but needs to be freshend up A LOT.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

Once off the lobby floor it was very worn. I decided go go purchase coffee and a protein bar for breakfast rather than have the "free" one. I have had better Continentals before. I didn't find the lobby staff overly helpful.

The location was excellent plus being able to use Tap Out Fitness was a bonus.

If it wasn't for the location
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

I was on the 7th floor and it just seemed so scuffed up and the carpets so old and worn. I think just a fresh painting and newer cheap carpets would have helped. It is definitely an older property. I also did not like that there was no free internet for the guest.

The kiosk stands in the lobby provided a way to by-pass the lines for check-in. The staff helping people use the Kiosk was another plus

• Classic Room with King Bed

This hotel is a disgrace. When we arrived at 8pm we queued for one and half hours to check in as only 2 of the 10 desks open !it was hit and miss if you got the member of staff who seemed to ‘ bark’ at the customers in such a rude manner. I asked about the breakfast which is advertised as included and they said the hotel doesn’t offer it anymore (this site still advertised this as included) When I complained to the manager I was issued with breakfast passes although fair to say this is far from any breakfast I have ever had in a hotel. The breakfast arrangements consists of you queuing for up to an hour if after 0630, to be given a bottle of water/orange, a coffee and a pastry from what I can only describe as a walk in cupboard within the lobby. If you get there after 0630 it’s not worth even getting in the queue. It had the fee of a ‘soup kitchen’ type arrangement. The first room was very large with a bed at the far end then huge empty space, consisting of filthy carpet, mouldy walls and the odd piece of old damaged furniture. The room was damp and freezing and the two heating units only blew out dust and cold air. The bathroom was a good size but again dirty and mound ridden. Needless to say I refused to stay here and was moved to floor 12 which was apparently an upgraded room. This was at least an improvement it still damp and without heat. But at least looked like a hotel room rather than setting of a 1980 horror movie. I would avoid this hotel at all cost as is not worth a dollar.

The fact that the Penn Hotel is quite in the middle of...
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

The first night I arrived really late from Europe and just recognized an objectionable odor. Next morning I saw mildew stain all over the room and the bathroom. Went to front desk and asked for a room change. The next room didn’t have visible mildew but the smell was the same. I‘ve checked the AC and it was full of black and white flakes. Disgusting. Another roomchange. The last room was nice, not really clean, but ok. Next night, a little mice said hi, running through the room. It was a mice, not a rat and I didn’t want to change the room again. I was in Penn Hotel many times before. I guess, it was my last stay there...

The fact that the Penn Hotel is quite in the middle of midtown and next to every Metro connection is a good point. The reception guys tried their best to help me with all complaints.

Most of the staff is unfriendly.
    • Classic Room with King Bed

Most of the staff is unfriendly. Rooms are crappy for the price paid. You need to pay 20USD and day for the "free" wifi. I wouldn't recommend.

Don't stay here!!
    • Classic Room with King Bed

Qued for over 2 hours when we arrived just to check in. When we got to our room on the 5th floor, before we had even unpacked, a mouse ran across the floor. The room and hotel in general was old, mouldy, dirty and disgusting!!

The Location of the hotel is really good.
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

The bed in the hotel room was broken, there was a mouse in the room, no refrigirator, and the "breakfast" was a joke. I stayed there for 4 nights after 3 they cut the free wifi.

The Location of the hotel is really good. Easy acces to the city sights.

No way.
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is extremely old and the rooms are dirty. The floor stinks (carpet floor really old that should be changed) and the conditioning air plants are unusable, unless you want to get cancer so much they are dirty. It is located in the city centre but the area is full of police and noisy cars at night. It costs really too much for what it offers and it is the worst hotel I've ever been in.

Maids were polite & great location
    • Classic Room with Two Twin Beds

Bathroom very shabby & needs replacing. Long queues for reception. Beds uncomfortable with only 1 pillow per bed.

Maids were polite & great location

• Classic Room with Double Bed

So unclean, water leaking from bath 24/7, bathroom is so old and everything is just about to break, the window is fixed with a plastic bottle to avoid rain leaks... miserable experience

Old and tired
    • Classic Accessible Room with Two Double Beds

The initial room they gave us was worse than a scruffy b&b in Blackpool in the 70’s.Because of the size of the hotel and the amount of people in the lobby it was an extra hour to get it changed.Luckily our receptionist was helpful.There are 6or 7 receptionists.There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room.

The location was good

There was no croissants on the whole the breakfast was...
    • Classic Room with Two Double Beds

The old system for the bathrooms even the Tv in the room was the old model of 1960

There was no croissants on the whole the breakfast was equivalent to Salvation Army standard even maybe lower for a big hotel like yours

• Classic Room with Double Bed

A basic hotel for a fair price considering its location in Times Square. Otherwise it would have been too expensive for what you get.

Fair price for this location

Perfect location for our overnight stay - would definitely use again.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

It offers free breakfast (OJ, tea/coffee, pastry or muffin) but because of the size of the hotel and its popularity, there is a pretty long queue from 6.30 in the morning. Plenty of reasonably priced diners nearby though.

We were travelling from Penn Station the next day after our stay - couldn't be better located. The room was larger than expected - hotel rooms in NYC in our price range are usually pretty small. Rather an 'old world' feel about the place. It has been a hotel for many years and retains some features - including on the 12th floor doors to the rooms which are originals from 1919 - like vault doors! Plus a window onto one of the original butler's pantries.

Location is good, room is slightly bigger than one could...
    • Classic Room with King Bed

Check in process took 2 hours. Electronic check-in didn't work. There was only one person at the desk to do check-ins, as a result 2 hours of waiting in the line.

Location is good, room is slightly bigger than one could expect for a hotel in such location for this price

3.5
    Great location - but definitely would not recommend this hotel.
    • Classic Room with Double Bed

The room was very dirty, I'm pretty sure the carpet and furniture was the original furniture placed in the room in 1920 and looked like it has never been deep cleaned ever, very sticky grungy feel to it. The beds were creaky and old. The TV looked like it came from 1975 and the remote did not work at all, the buttons on the TV to change settings manually were missing, we managed to use a pen to change the channels, but the volume could not be adjusted at all. The windows were extremely dirty and the air conditioner smelled very musty if you turned it on. The bathroom was relatively clean, probably the best feature in the whole room, although the toilet had a small leak. Thankfully there were no cockroaches, but that was probably due to the mouse in the room eating them all for dinner. We saw the mouse on two of the days we were in the room, luckily it ran under the door to our neighbours room and I didn't see it come back, so that was somewhat of a relief. The location to this hotel is great, but everything else, never again. I was a bit frustrated with myself that I had not read more reviews before booking and paying for this hotel, I would've saved myself some disappointment, especially when its a holiday. That put a little damper on the NY part of our trip.

Worst hotel we have ever been to so far!

Never ever again this hotel. Staff was rude when we arrived, everytime pretty long queue. One of the room was so dirty. Even we ordered here on booking breakfast on arrival we were informed that is was cancelled and no one was informed us before! When we asked for money back cause of that ( room with breakf.incl was more expensive) they told us we don´t have any change to get that. I do not even want to mentioned what we saw on the stairs but it was so disgusting!

Browse Hotel Pennsylvania traveller photo gallery