2. USA hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Phoenix Inn Suites Salem

Reviews of Phoenix Inn Suites Salem 3 stars

4370 Commercial Street SE, Salem, OR 97302, USA

#5 of 20 hotels in Salem

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 24 December 2018

Some of the staff was very rude to my family. We were waiting to move into our new home and had a delay, once I communicated this the staff was very unpleasant towards us. I ended up moving us to a nicer hotel that cost twice as much but we have a 2 room suite and the staff is delightful.

The girls liked the pool and cookies.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2018

Very friendly staff.

Seems like some of the facility could use some repairs or updates, both outside and inside.

Very friendly staff. Good amount of parking. Good grass space for our dog. The bed was very comfortable and our room was spacious.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2018

Overalls was good.

Little outdated. Bathroom tile needed to be painted and molding had some cracks around it.

Bed was very comfortable. Front desk gentleman was very quick and courteous.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2018

Bed was comfortable and staff was VERY welcoming.

The room was clean overall but did have a funny smell to it.. definitely not a room worth $99... more like $70.

Bed was comfortable and staff was VERY welcoming.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2018

Friendly staff.

Bathroom was dirty. Hair around toilet and in shower and tub. Dirty wash cloth hanging on shower curtain. Extremely disappointed. Bed was comfortable. Pillow were super thin...

Friendly staff. Nice lobby. Deceiving compared to the room.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2018

Thanks again front staff for being so kind! We will see you next year sound Halloween time

Our stay was good.... the toilet did run all night and had to jiggle the handle often . Hope next time we don’t run into that problem and we had a do not disturb hanging and they were vacuuming outside our room. 😔

The front staff and the big bed!

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

Good location heading west.

Everything was fine

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very well appointed and comfortable. Contacted me before check-in to see if we needed anything.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Chris was a delight , go just to meet him!

Older place and a musty smell that had been massed by a cleaning agent

Chris at the front desk was the delight of the place. Very welcoming and knowledgeable about the city. Making sure our needs where met. The breakfast was nice parking easy

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Check in and out very good and efficient.

Way too much air freshener used in bedroom, as if covering up odors. Bothered me. Mattress not firm or comfortable.

Receptionist at front desk welcoming and friendly.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Would definitely stay again. Fantastic Inn!

I stayed on the 4th floor and there was no vending or ice machines located on 4th floor, the only drawback.

The room was clean and organize, as any hotel room should be. The staff was excellent and proceeded with my reservation promptly to my arrival. Access to my room was quick and simple. Location is great next to anything you may possibly need and the options of the facility is wonderful. Thank you for the complimentary breakfast!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

The staff was fantastic but the property and rooms could use a little TLC.

That there was a run down mobile home park behind the property

I had let the staff know that it was our anniversary and they bought me a rose plant and apple cider and some cookies and candies. It was very sweet of them to go out of their way.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Relaxing and fairly quiet

the knob in the bathtub for the shower was difficult to adjust for the right temperature and it got way too hot if you turned it too far

The employee at the desk who checked us in named Chris was so friendly and has a great personality.

We will come again. Possibly to the Phoenix inn in Albany which is right by I-5

Location - too far from I-5 Want softer beds Self closing bathroom door not great No fan in the bathroom

Breakfast is good. We liked the prior Phoenix inn north Salem right by I-5. Price is good. Air conditioner worked well.

Monthly visit

Check in process could be better.. I visit monthly now and every time I have to fill out the card with the same information.. When I checked in the computers were down, my room key didn't work and then when I got a new key the room was occupied.. Not sure if it's standard but my room had only one trash can? It would be nice if you had an Happy Hour?

The biscuits and gravy were a nice treat, only thing better would have been eggs over easy :) Room size is very nice for the value..

shower head was fantastic--lots of pressure and height was...

Weird that the vanity was outside the bathroom--no mirror in the bathroom. Also shower curtain didn't do well at keeping water in the tub--floor got soaked

shower head was fantastic--lots of pressure and height was good

Keep driving. It's not worth it

The room smelled like it was a boys locker room in a public pool. The rug was so moist/wet that we couldn't wear socks...we had to wear our shoes. Front desk knew did nothing. Oh wait, they sprayed 'spearment' scent in the room. The furniture was old and very worn. An ottoman that had metal parts protruding. I guess that's what you put in a basement room. King suite they called it. Hah. The good reviews must be paid performers. The hot tub advertisements were false/ 'it's under maintenance' pool closed at 10pm. They had you sign at registration an insulting toned statement of understanding that cleaning charge for evidence of smoking of $250, determined by management. Hence, my use of video upon arrival and exit of room's condition.

The towels were of good quality. It was easy to find location No bed bugs found

Good location.

Needs some updating . Our shower/tub needs replacing . Pool and pool area need updating and repairs. Rates a bit high for what it is.

Good location. Staff was professional and friendly. Seemed pretty clean.

Pet friendly and good location

Although non smoking room, just outside our door was rear exit and smokers gathered there. All smoke came into hallway and our room. Nasty. They have a beautiful lawn area that would be used if it had chairs and tables.

Pet friendly and good location

Great service from genuine and helpful staff.

Nothing really!

Great service from genuine and helpful staff. Nice clean room. Good location. Iced water always available in reception. Good breakfast.

A generally good place to stay. I would stay there again.

I'm not a fan of the breakfast choices. Too much starchy food. I would like more fresh fruit choices. The faucet in the shower/bath was extremely hard to turn. I don't like the dispensers on the shower wall.

The Phoenix is clean, rooms are a nice size, staff is friendly and helpful . The location is good- it's easy to get around Salem from this location.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

I felt the price was on the high side.

The front desk fellow was very sober. I'm unsure if he understood humor or knew how to smile. It wasn't only me as he responded the same to the person checking in before me. It wasn't a very welcoming feeling. Our room was supposed to be non-smoking but when we got to the room the door said "smoking". Sure enough when we walked in the room smelled of smoke. We called the front desk and were told that all the rooms were non-smoking (that someone had peeled off the non part on the door), that they were full and couldn't put us in another room. He came up and sprayed air freshener which did as much good as you'd imagine.

The room was clean and comfortable. Although the place was full it was very quiet. The breakfast was good with hot options as well as the usual cereal, toast, and sweet rolls.

Clean rooms and beds were comfortable.

Everything was great!!!!

Clean rooms and beds were comfortable. Breakfast was good. But eat it early as closer to closing hour the briskets get hard. But that’s understandable as they sit in warmers.

Despite few shortcomings, excellent staff and very proper breakfast with lots of options...

I found it odd my room didn't have a bathtub. I've never stayed in a hotel where there was not a bathtub so I didn't know I would need to ask for one. I don't know if any of their rooms had bathtubs but I definitely would have liked having an option When I'm on vacation I love the idea of taking a bath when nobody else can interrupt me. There was paint peeling in several places and more wear and tear than I would have expected for the price. I have stayed at numerous hotels around the country & in my hometown -- for the price, I expected more. I stayed in two different hotels 1 block from the beach for $99 and $101 respectively and the rooms were very well maintained. Yes, these were not summer prices by the beach but there really isn't a bad day by the beach (the stay was in May). There was no freezer in the frig which was an issue to keep ice since the hotel couldn't provide that (due to water issue in Salem). The closet had 4 or 5 hangers and was quite small not allowing me to unpack my clothing for even the few days I was there. If I had stayed there the entire 8 days I was in Salem, that would not have worked at all. God forbid two people were staying in the room as there was no place else to put your belongings. No dresser and no way you could leave your suitcase by the closet since it was just inside the door when you walked in. There was no room to put your suitcase in the space under your clothing either and if more than one person was staying there it would have been completely impossible to do anything but live out of your suitcase. All in all, the room just felt a little dowdy & lacking in a few necessities. I have never stayed anyplace else in Salem so perhaps this hotel exceeds standards there but it didn't meet my standards for the price per night. One last thing, there was one location available to use a computer and it was in the lobby where people would be walking past not allowing for much privacy.

The location was good for me. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Very professional. The morning breakfast was well-rounded with lots of options -- more so than many other hotels. I enjoyed that. The lobby was warm and welcoming, clean, inviting and updated. The beds were comfortable and made with nice linens allowing for a pleasant nights sleep. The AC worked well and kept the room cool 24/7. The carpet in the room seemed fairly clean without tears or stains. It was easy drop off and pick up.

Location is great for what we needed and still recommended it to anyone.

Continental breakfast not warm enough, not enough selections, fruit was the same each day only peaches no other selection of fruits. The room offered for Continental breakfast small & tight especially when it is crowded. Maid forgot to replace empty toilet paper rod so when we called we were told to come down and get it which in all our travels we were never asked to come get an item especially when maid service was done and they did not replace empty roll.

we can say that the rooms were great! Beds made & firm so slept like babies. The Continental breakfast was okay nothing to rave about... eggs , sausage biscuit/gravy was not warm same thing for the three days we were there. Nothing fancy about the room where we sat for breakfast. Maid did not leave toilet paper so when we called we were asked to come get it. In all our travels it has never been the customer to have to get the items that maid forgot to leave. All in All it was good.

Could be more inviting

Just thought the rates were a bit high for the area and being ground floor with a fence for a view and the decor was pretty dated.

Our room was clean, comfortable and convenient. And the water stayed hot.

Very nice

I always enjoy my stay at the Phoenix, this room just had issues, the shower water drenched the floor,the sink filled with water, and the toilet flushed

Large gap under door to hallway, insured that you could hear...

Large gap under door to hallway, insured that you could hear what was going on in hallway when trying to sleep, and bright lights entered under door making it hard to darken room to sleep.......only concern. Otherwise a great hotel.

Weekend stay

Not real good working filters in pool. Room was not as clean as expected

Close to many stores and restaurants with in walking distance. Has an indoor pool and spa. Waffles with there continental breakfast

There was a pile of dirty hand towels on the sink and no fresh soap. There was small black plastic pieces in the tub. The shower would NOT turn on (the knob was broken which is what I think the black plastic pieces came from). Waited almost 2 hours and 3 phone calls for maintenance to fix shower. Gave up at 11pm and my daughter attempted a ‘sink’ shower so she could get to bed. We checked out early the next morning not even bothering with the breakfast. The front manager was very sympathetic and gave us $50 off our bill. She was unable to completely compensate the full amount because we booked through a booking source. That was frustrating but I understood.

Front desk workers were very nice. However the one on Friday night was working alone on a Friday night with a lot of check ins and had no support.

A pleasant experience for us in spite of the bereavement circumstances of our trip.

We had room 125 on the Garden level. During the last two days of our stay, they was an unpleasant sewer-like odor in the hallway between the elevator and our room but it was not noticeable in our room so it didn't bother us. We thought it was probably a temporary situation like a plumbing problem or health incident and not a chronic problem.

The young man at the check-in desk was most courteous and helpful! Cookies are a nice touch. Great breakfast service! Good biscuits and gravy! Consistent breakfast offerings, clean dishes and utensils, hot food was kept hot, cold juices, hot coffee, adequate seating, TV morning news. Easy free WiFi access. Comfortable bed. Well done!

Location, ease of check-in.

Room attendants beating on doors early in the morning to get rooms turned over. Odors in hallways (probably nothing can be done about and always an issue)

Location, ease of check-in.

Excellent location clean room comfy bed

Pillows seem like they have been put through a washing machine way too many times.. super bunched up and lumpy. Bed was comfy though.

Excellent location clean room comfy bed

I didn't like the fact that they require a chip on your...

I didn't like the fact that they require a chip on your card in order to get a room. My bank doesn't do the chip on a debit card. So, i have to find a different hotel of the same quality whenever I stay in Salem.

Smelly old and run down

The room was in the basement. Every where smelled musty old and dirty. Chairs at breakfast were sticky. Long waits at elevator because there is only one and the staff uses it continuously. Shower knob was broken. We had to wait to get it fixed at 10:30 at night after a long day traveling. Tv local channels didn’t work. Everything was very old and run down. It hasn’t been updated in probably 30 years.

Staff was friendly. Breakfast food was good.

Friendly attentive staff very helpful.

Could not get the room to warm up had the heat up on 84 and that's as high as it would go but still stayed cold. About 3am got up to mess with it and as soon as I dropped it down to 80 there got hot.

Friendly attentive staff very helpful. Aside from a few minor mechanical issues and some spots they may have missed cleaning it wasn't terrible. The rooms or actually updated and very nice.

I'd come back again with my family! It is very affordable for its amenities & location.

The housekeeper opened our door while we were sleeping and woke us up. Good thing the security door chain didn't allow her to completely open the door and see my family in our night/sleeping clothes. That was incompetent of her to not check in the system/with the staff if the room was occupied.

The facility itself is very clean and exceeded my expectation with most 3 star hotels. The hallways are clean and smell good! It is located near Walgreens, food places, and at a busy street so you can actually walk around and get everything you need. There is ample parking for everyone. Missed breakfast so I cannot rate that aspect. The hotel's indoor pool is super clean and the hot tub was nice for our family. The bed is pillow top so it is really comfortable. There's a TV with many channels though we mainly watched the Olympics. There was a sofa and ottoman next to the mini-kitchen. There's also a business desk inside the room if you need to work on your laptop. The value for the money is superb!

Best value!

The outside could be refreshed, don't judge this book by its cover.

What an amazing value for the price!!! The staff were very friendly, the entire place was clean. The pool was warm, clean, and quiet. The location was walking distance to good food and stores, including Trading Joes. We were blown away to wake up to a warm, fully stocked continental breakfast! We would definitely stay here again.

It would have been very good 20 years ago, but now it feels somewhat dated.

Biscuits with sausage gravy was not good as the biscuits were soggy and not up to snuff.

Standard scrambled eggs. One choice of fruit, apricots. Standard sausage patty.

Very surprised that they do not have meat served on two days...

Very surprised that they do not have meat served on two days a week to save money. That is not a smart move. One would expect meat with the eggs, everything else was excellent, but should not be cutting back on meat, not a very good idea.

Fabulous hotel, great location, super friendly staff

There was nothing we did not like.

Excellent place to stay. After we checked in and arrived to our room one of the front staff called us to make sure everything was fine in our room. Nice touch! Bed was very comfy, quiet room, clean, all the staff were super friendly and helpful and the breakfast was outstanding with lots of choices including cinnamon rolls, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, different kinds of bread, biscuits and gravey, cereal, fruit. What more could one want? We would definitely stay here again.

We were woken up by other guests attempting to enter our room because they were also given our room

They assigned our room to someone else who tried to enter the room at 10pm when we were already asleep as we had to be up the next day at 3 am. They offered no compensation for this inconvenience and the staff just said "I'm sorry about that, thanks for your feedback, I'll inform the GM" when I brought it up at checkout. Extremely disappointing stay, especially for the price paid.

Would stay again

The "full" breakfast was lacking. Weekends they do not serve meat. I thought that was odd. Their fresh fruit was banana and apples. A little disappointed in that.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The room was huge! Bed area and a living room with a desk. I was impressed.

Great value.

I stayed 3 nights and after my first night my room didn't get cleaned. I told the front desk staff. They were very apologetic and that day my room was done nicely.

The beds were really comfortable and the room large with a good chair for reading and a large desk for my laptop. The staff is so friendly! The coffee maker in my room was broken and had to be replaced which they did promptly.

Nice accommodations

The room was clean and the bed was quite comfy! Staff very nice and accommodating. The hotel was in a great location with shopping and other food choices close by. We would stay again!

I would stay there again.

I'm not to picky, if a place is clean and comfy, and the people are friendly and helpfull I'm usually happy.

I was on the ground floor with the room window facing the wall outside, no biggie!

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Outstanding

The bed was extremely comfortable. Best sleep I've had. The staff was wonderful. If I'm ever in Salem again I definitely will come stay there again and also I will let people know this inn is wonderful

• Reviewed: 17 January 2019

Comfort and location not to mention the staff everyone we...

Comfort and location not to mention the staff everyone we met was helpful and professional

• Reviewed: 12 January 2019

Stay at Phoenix Inn Suites

Excessive noise from floor above me. Sounded like they were having boling tournament .

Everything else was great.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2019

Staff are courteous and accommodating.

Staff are courteous and accommodating..

• Reviewed: 10 January 2019

Will be staying again.

Rooms were spotless; beds comfortable. Breakfast was good, more than just continental.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2019

Great Value. A Salem secret.

Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2018

Exceptional staff, very helpful and friendly.

Bedspread/cover wasnt clean, it was obvious it wasnt clean.

Exceptional staff, very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2018

Very professional employees!

Very professional employees! Clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 15 December 2018

Thank you for lending me an umbrella!

Thank you for lending me an umbrella!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2018

Great hotel for the value.

I didn't like the cheap toilet paper and tissues.

The location was great as it was close to restaurants.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2018

Bed was comfortable and rooms clean!

Bed was comfortable and rooms clean!!

• Reviewed: 10 November 2018

Staff!

Staff!

• Reviewed: 5 November 2018

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

I was almost impressed.

The toilet was plugged. The shower soap dispensers were left open.

Room was well equipped. Bed good fridge, microwave, coffee maker,

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Good place to stay in Salem

View out window was so-so, cedar hedge.

Near Trader Joe's, comfortable place to stay

Definitely recommend!

Comfy beds, great staff, and super location

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Pet friendly- good size room

Room needed some simple repairs - linen could use an upgrade

Pet friendly- good size room

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

The sheets were not scratchy, very soft.

There was nothing that I found not to my liking

The sheets were not scratchy, very soft. Staff was so helpful!!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Our overall evperience was wonderful. Phoenix Inn will be our first choice when staying in Salem.

The staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. Many nice choices at thr free breakfast.

Great night

Slow draining in tub and sink

The text before arrival asking for any special requests..water was there waiting for us. Staff was very friendly.

Staff, clean but needs updates

Traffic noise, housekeepers talking loudly at 730, too close to ice machine

Staff, clean but needs updates

Lots of space in rooms.

Pool hours too short. Hot tub not working.

Lots of space in rooms. Free parking. Coffee in lobby. Breakfast.

One night stay.

Temperature control in some of the rooms was a little difficult to manage.

Staff was exceptionally helpful. The place was clean and well laid out.

Good value.

Fourth floor rooms are very good.

Good value. Not a high-end motel, but clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

We'll try them again, because the staff was great, good pricing and location.

We went to breakfast at the same time as everyone else and the room was tiny.

The staff was very friendly and professional.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Good night.

Hot tub was broken.

Rooms look great, clean. Bed was comfy. Great pillows. Decent breakfast.

Dreadful, very dated. “Garden view” was of a cement wall and a railing. Over priced.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Location and staff were very nice

Hot tub was down

Location and staff were very nice

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Clean room, comfortable beds, free coffee, and good location

Had trouble with the toilet getting plugged

Clean room, comfortable beds, free coffee, and good location

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

very good

gravy and biscuits missing

location good.

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!