Reviews of Phoenix Park Hotel 3 stars

520 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA

#26 of 143 hotels in Washington

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Great hotel, we'd stay there again!
    • Superior King Room

The bathroom vanity was tiny! It was tough to sit anything there without being crowded.

Great location, easy access to many points of interest. They gave us a complimentary upgraded room that had a great view and more windows than the standard room. Extra room darkening shades were a bonus and the bed was very comfortable!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

It wasn't worth the price, but if you've got no other options, then it is what it is
    • Superior King Room

The beds were not so good for sleeping. Also, be careful if you book from booking.com, they said it included breakfast when we ordered the hotel, but then the final receipt (after booking it) said that breakfast was $25

Bed is comfy to lay down in, but that's it. The staff were also very friendly. Nice location (maybe 1.5 miles from the Smithsonian)

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Good value and location, small rooms.
    • Superior King Room

The rooms are very small, thin walls so you can hear everything. They don't have fans in the bathroom so your privacy is a bit limited. We had a window to a brick wall but not a huge deal as we weren't in the room much. In the morning we could have literally jumped into our neighbors conversation and they weren't even being that loud.

Great location, pretty hotel, nice to be connected to a local restaurant. The staff was very friendly and the lobby was welcoming. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Very nice to be offered complimentary coffee in the morning and there is a Corner Bakery right down the street if you want to grab breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Nice clean room in a hotel at an excellent location. Room too noisy.
    • Superior King Room

We had a room on the 9th floor between the hotel and the building next door. This was very noisy due to airco and other machines turning all the time outside. Windows don't give much noise isolation.

Smooth check-in and check-out. Rooms very clean. Free coffee from 6h30 - 10h30 on the second floor. Excellent free wifi available in the rooms. Large TV with a lot of channels, including movies, if you need it. Very close to Union station which was great for acces to trains + metro and even a quick bite to eat. (breakfast/dinner/...) Also the bus stop for the Circulator etc is across the street. Walking distance to The Mall and Capitol.

Location was okay but feels austere.
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

Room was very small but bathroom was adequate, not much of a lobby. Service was not super friendly.

Location was okay but feels austere. Close to Union Station and Capitol Hill. Chain bakery down the street. There's metered street parking nearby. Ok hotel for a good price in a nice city.

Good coffee. Great location
    • Superior King Room

Turned coffee machine off at 10am. Would have loved a cup of tea later in the evening but no kettle or hot water anywhere

Great location. Good pub and food next door. Quiet. Modern clean comfortable room. Very friendly staff. Great coffee in morning

Great location!
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

the furniture in the room look a bit old, but they are fine.

Friendly staff and excellent location, right next to the Capitol. The parking in the nearby streets is free during the weekend.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

My Excellent experience at the Phoenix Park Hotel in Washington DC
    • Superior King Room

Almost nothing. Only thing was that the floor tended to get cold sometimes, so perhaps slippers would be helpful.

The room exceeded my expectations in decor, comfort and cleanliness. I would recommend getting slippers as the floor does feel cold sometimes, BUT, that is just splitting hairs and maybe the hotel can take this small criticism forward by providing slippers. It was an excellent experience and well worth the price. Staff helpful, friendly and accommodating. Complimentary coffee from 6:30 to 10:00 meant we could relax AND bring in our own stuff to nibble on; how fantastic is that. Will definitely stay here again.

Not getting coffee/tea maker was a big problem. Small rooms. Very nice staff. Perfect location.
    • Superior King Room

Room was smaller than shown in photographs. Room did not have coffee/tea maker usually a need after sight seeing by international travellers. Staff helped us to get hot water once.

Location was perfect. Very near to train/bus stations. Near to sight seeing places. Hotel was clean, Staff was cheerful.

I used this hotel as I was travelling alone and it was very...
    • Superior King Room

I used this hotel as I was travelling alone and it was very close to the train station. It was a little bit more expensive then I would have normally paid to be honest but I would stay again and try and get a deal if it was during the week.

Location, location, location
    • Superior King Room

Wished housekeeping could've done a better job tidying up the room. It seemed like they were in a rush and my bed wasn't made as tidy as I wanted it to be.

I liked the front desk and the rest of the staff stationed at the lobby. They were very friendly and accommodating. They went above and beyond to assist me with anything that I needed.

Highly recommended
    • Superior King Room

There was nothing I didn't like.

The location was absolutely perfect. Right in the heart of the city and within walking distance to major sites and museums. The staff is also incredibly nice and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to D.C.

I would stay there again! It was very accommodating, clean and friendly.
    • Superior King Room

I prefer a coffeemaker in my room. You had to go to the second floor for it. They were out of creamer and it was crowded. Just took a lot of time.

The Irish Pub was an excellent option for dining and having a drink. The entertainment was excellent and the service was great.

Comfortable, pleasant stay and good value for money.
    • Superior King Room

Other than two Irish pubs and an excellent but pricey bistro a block away, there are no walkable spots for dinner.

Clean, attractive property with a lovely staff and a relatively small and cozy atmosphere. Excellent location for those traveling by train.

Thought it was great.
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

I miss the wonderfully remembered breakfasts upstairs in the old dining room. That era may be gone from most hotels. The plus of the Dubliner in the afternoons and evenings is that it is a warm and delightful place to be with excellent food. The downside is that it is so well patronized it can seem like a zoo. Yet the servers are superb and courteous.

Every staff member we spoke with loves the family who owns the hotel...obviously the staff feels well treated by the company and treated us with enthusiasm. I first discovered the Phoenix Park in 1985. The renovations are excellent.

Loved being in the centre of things with a calm oasis to return to.
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

Hot tea availability would of been nice.

Fantastic comfy bed, the breakfast was amazing and set you up for the day, proximity to museums and attractions and union station was perfect.

Uncomfortable
    • Superior King Room

The room was not clean . No one had dusted , wiped the walls nor had the cleaned the nightstand it had dripping of something on it . Overall disappointed

I have done that above.
    • Superior King Room

Everything was perfect from the beautiful hotel, our room, to the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. The food was also very good....a good experience from start to finish. We would certainly stay there again and would recommend it to others. Thanks for a great stay.

There was an emergency during the early morning hours and...

The view out my window.

There was an emergency during the early morning hours and there was no hotel staff to be seen. Also, I book the hotel way in advance of my trip and was given a room with a view of a wall. I requested change in room and second room was much bigger with a better view.

Good for what we needed it for, a clean hotel room at a great location.
    • Superior King Room

The rooms were incredibly tiny, the distance from the end of the bed to the little table under the wall mounted tv was small enough that you had to almost squeeze through it. The window wasn't sealed well so sound and air came through. Our room looked directly across the way from offices which was fine over the weekend when no one was there. The panel over the ductwork easily opened to an air filter that hadn't been changed in a long time.

The location was really great, the bathroom was updated and nicer than some of the "nicer" hotels I've been to. I liked the clean updated shower. The staff was really nice and friendly. Wasn't a super busy hotel. The room and bathroom were really clean, they didn't just wipe everything down and leave. There was free coffee available in the morning.

We were made very welcome and every time we went through reception were spoken to.
    • Superior King Room

Facilities to make a hot drink in the room.

The room was big and comfortable. Lots of products. So near White House and station. Complimentary drink available in mornings were lovely. Water available in the gym. Bakery five minutes walk away that did breakfast as theirs was quite expensive and had bad reviews. Choice of tv channels. WiFi in bedroom. Free safe.

Great convenient location
    • Superior King Room

I have stayed here many times over the past 8 years, chosen mainly for location, but also for it's charm. The recent renovation has totally lost all the charm and ambiance of the old Phoenix Park. It is now just another modern facility - nothing special. I miss the old world décor with the matching wallpaper and drapes and furnishings.

Great convenient location

I was very impressed.. it was recommended by bar staff whom we met last year when visiting DC.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There was nothing to dislike.

The appearance on first day was exceptional. The receptionist was new and brilliant. ...friendly, helpful and very welcoming. Room was beautiful nice with view and cosy. The waiters were great courtous and helpful. Nothing was a problem for them. We got plenty of everything.

The location especially convenient to Union Station; room/hotel very nice; staff friendly.
    • Superior King Room

Everything was fine. No complaints.

The location especially convenient to Union Station. The room was very comfortable and nice as well as the hotel itself. Restaurant on premises another plus. Staff very helpful and friendly.

Good location next to Union Train/metro station , clean and comfortable
    • Superior King Room

we stayed in a rear room , a little noisy from electrical Fan systems in adjoining building during the night. Breakfast not included in room rate , however there is a nice coffe.e shop nearby

Very comfortable large bed,

The staff was delightful: helpful, informative, gracious!
    • Superior King Room

There was a dirty wash cloth left under the sink from the previous guests. I let the front desk know; they said it would be taken care of but that didn't happen.

The staff was delightful: helpful, informative, gracious! The location is extremely convenient.

was a fantastic stay, right up to when I looked at my credit card bill the next day
    • Superior King Room

Charged-twice-for bottled water that we did not use. Is this from a dishonest housekeeper or purposely fraudulent billing by the hotel? Either way, I no longer want anything to do with this hotel

Convenient to Union Station. Hotel is very clean and convenient

My stay was Fantastic, because the room was impeccable.
    • Superior King Room

When departing, the valet who brought my car around (not Mr Charles) was a little pushy.

The receptionist during check in was pleasant and gave me a great room! Thank you for making a stressful trip relaxing.

Show me what I'm paying for
    • Superior King Room

Room was not as we had viewed it online. We were very shocked upon arrival. It took the valet 20 minutes to get our car, not sure where they park them.

The staff were friendly and the room was clean

Comfy room.
    • Superior King Room

Comfy room. Best bathroom lighting for applying makeup ever. Dubliner bar at Hotel excellent food, I had chicken pot pie. Walk across street to Union Station. Really nice staff. Convenient and Comfortable, Great Staff

Great stay, location and staff!
    • Superior King Room

I requested a room with a bathtub but I didn't get one. Not a big issue at all but it would have been nice to have a bath after a full day of walking around. It was a vacation after all. I also requested a kettle for the room. While I appreciated the drinks on the lower floor, it was a bit of an inconvenience to have to get out of the room for the morning drinks instead of enjoying them in bed. Again, not big issues!

Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was spacious and clean. Across the street from Union Station and lots of easy food options. Didn't try the pub in the hotel but ordered room service which was fast and good. I liked that they had a fridge in the room for personal use instead of being filled with mini-bar items. There's also a coffee machine on a lower floor with complimentary drinks.

A lovely hotel, good staff and near the event we were attending.
    • Superior King Room

This hotel was built in the 19th Century so the elevators were tiny. A bit inconvenient when we were trying to check-out. Also I thought the room service was overpriced so we went elsewhere for breakfast.

Loved the shower. A lovely hotel.

The hotel itself was beautiful and the coffee in the morning...

Not too much.

The hotel itself was beautiful and the coffee in the morning was very nice. Great location, loved the view of the Capital and it is 2 minutes from Union Station!

If I owned a high end hotel like the Phoenix Park Hotel, I would want Anna K. on my team.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking costs were much steeper than expected; and much higher than I experience in similar cities such as Chicago, Toronto, and even NYC.

Anna K., the (front desk) manager was simply wonderful. Her demeanor and professionalism was beyond expectations. You are very fortunate to have her as part of your overall team. Mark E. Celmer

Good value for money, friendly and clean, smart hotel.
    • Superior King Room

Room was at the back of hotel, no view, loud air conditioner outside.

Bed was comfy, room very clean, fresh and crisp decor for an older style hotel. Good pub downstairs. Convenient to union station if travelling by train and close to the Capitol.

We would return. I love that it’s so close to Amtrak.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Oops did this in wrong order ! Great staff and very clean.

I like a microwave in the room. I like to get a coffee take out and heat it up later. My husband likes a desk.

Great location, beautiful room, and excellent service from...
    • Superior King Room

Great location, beautiful room, and excellent service from staff. I found this from a list of union hotels and that really does make a difference. I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in DC.

Friendly staff, great location and stunning rooms.

NOTHING!

The room was massive, the bar was amazing with Irish staff (felt like i was at home!!) It was so clean with a view onto the lovely streets of Washington! I turned to my right and there was United States Capitol! Great location with great staff!!

We'll be back!!
    • Superior King Room

The Dubliner was fantastic. It was accessible from the Hotel. Also the hotel recommended for us an Italian restaurant, Bistro Italiano, which was in walking distance. Fantastic!!

I am the manager of one of the world's most top rated hotels based on guest reviews. I can say that I truly loved this hotel and only wish I could have stayed longer... If you are coming in by train, this place is super handy.

Wish our stay was longer. We were really made to feel special.
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

Staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. Terrific contact via email. Early check in was a lovely touch. Walking distance to main attractions and public transport.

Could have been better if the staff knew how to treat and talk to guest. Needs extensive training.
    • Superior King Room

Staff attitude. No water in lobby or in rooms. Wanted to place a cake in room for guest (parents) - this facility is not available even with advance payment option!

Breakfast was good

• Superior King Room

5 minutes walk to union station and Capitol Hill, so a very good location to start our visit to all the attractions. The staff are very professional and helpful. Room is spacious and clean. No kettle in the room but can make your tea or coffee or chocolate drinks at 2nd floor so no issue for us.

LA COLAZIONE NON è INCLUSA, MA LA STRUTTURA COMUNICA...
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

LA COLAZIONE NON è INCLUSA, MA LA STRUTTURA COMUNICA DALL'INTERNO CON UN BEL LOCALE IRLANDESE DOVE SI FA UN'OTTIMA COLAZIONE A PREZZO STANDARD. BELLO E ACCOGLIENTE L'ARREDAMENTO .

staff was extra helpful and kind.
    • Superior King Room

wish the room came standard with a fan (ceiling or otherwise) as the air didnt circulate well within. i had to crank the air down to 64 to be able to sleep under both covers.

staff was extra helpful and kind. bed was very comfortable and the pillows were firm yet fluffy. the in room toiletries were of good quality as well.

I would stay there again.
    • Superior King Room

The hotel could use some updating re carpets, etc and a good vacuuming and cleaning in the public areas. The rooms were nice and clean and beds very comfortable.

The hotel was small and intimate, and staff extremely nice and helpful.

Horrible stay
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Horrible stay. We stayed here one night and it couldn't have been worse. I don't know why but they had a hoover machine in the hallway on our floor, working during the whole night with the subsequent noise and nauseating smell to urine that emanated from this machine and which draught went straight towards our room. Luckily we just spent a night as we could not have stood more time. Apart from that, the bathroom was a bit old. Very expensive for what you really get.

Beautiful room
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

We were upgraded to a gorgeous room/suite. So much room and spotlessly clean. Very comfortable bed, lovely bathroom and sitting room. View onto street below. Easy walk to the train station and easy walk to the Capital Building. There are many homeless near the station across the road from the hotel. Hotel staff lovely and helpful. Irish pub on site.

Excellent hotel with friendly, helpful staff.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No tea or coffee making facilities in the room.

The room was modern, comfortable and very clean. The location is perfect for Union station, car rentals, and the hop-on,hop-off buses.

perfect hotel as only few yards to walk opposite Union station
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

breakfast and service in The Dubliner for breakfast could be improved. lunchtime staff were good.

staff were very friendly. requested earlier check in and allowed as we arrived late morning. kept our luggage safe after check out time so we could have full day exploring Washington. beds very comfy and spacious.

Fabulous stay

Could not fault anything

Very friendly and helpful staff. Fabulous hotel and a great location for Union Station and close to sights and museums. Came to celebrate our anniversary and was given upgrade to executive room with wine and chocolates. Such a lovely gesture. The room was excellent with an ultra comfy bed and crisp sheets. Would definitely stay here again.

Fantastic hotel in a fantastic location

Nothing I didn't like

Hotel location is fantastic. Right next door to Union Station, where all the tour buses pick up. Walking distance to the Capitol Building. Great hotel with Irish Bar attached

Perfect for Amtrak travelers
    • Superior King Room

This hotel is half a block from Union Station. Perfect location for an Amtrak traveler. I've stayed here many times and always look forward to sleeping in the extremely comfortable beds. The rooms are on the small size, but I find that comforting.

Excellent made even better by the staff.
    • Superior King Room

That I didn't know about this hotel earlier.

The staff are among the best I've encountered. Friendly, very efficient, helpful, courteous, and very knowledgeable about the museums, monuments and how best to get around. Room was spotless, comfortable, and well equipped

The reception upgraded my double room to an executive suite...
    • Superior King Room

There was no bellboy to help me with my luggage.

The reception upgraded my double room to an executive suite at no extra cost, which was nice after a long day of traveling. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Lovely landmark hotel with friendly, attentive staff.
    • Superior King Room

Breakfast was a bit expensive. For two people we never left without a $40 bill for 2 people that normally was 2 eggs, bacon and sausage plus coffee.

The room and the bed were clean, very comfortable and the staff exceptionally friendly. Loved the ambience of this landmark hotel. We were within walking distance of Union Station, public transportation and the Mall area of Washington. Also, the Irish pub attached to the hotel was very convenient with adequate food and drink.

The Best Place to Stay in Washington D.C.

Street parking can be hard to find, and the garage is $55/night.

Extremely clean, excellent quick and helpful staff, high quality furniture and bathroom fixtures (marble bathrooms!), very comfortable bed with selection of pillows. The hotel even provides earplugs if the traffic is too loud! The hotel restaurant is excellent as well.

Perfect comfort and convenience

NA

We've stayed at the Phoenix Park a number of times and have found it to be consistently excellent. We particularly appreciate how convenient it is to Union Train Station, where we arrive and depart, as well as all the sites on the National Mall. We sleep well every time, allowing us to be rested for long days at all the museums and other attractions in the Capitol.

Good location/Cramped quarters
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Way too cramped for 4 people. No refrigerator and paying $55 in addition for parking, i feel is a bit steep when you're already paying almost $300/night.

Shower head was refreshing.

HOTEL PHOENIX PARK A VERY PLEASANT SURPRISE
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

The bathroom fan was making a such a horrible racket that we could not use it. Our bad that we forgot to mention it at the desk when we checked out. We had an issue with our room AC unit not working properly but it was repaired quickly. ( Room 805 )

Overall very cozy hotel. We'll be back again.

The place is immaculate and the staff is very helpful.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The place is immaculate and the staff is very helpful. Understaffed one morning and ran out of coffee. The restaurant honored guests with free coffee at their counter.

The place to stay in DC
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

Friendly staff, convenient location, superb facilities, AMAZING BED! It was like sleeping on a cloud. The attached restaurant/pub is an excellent bonus! Great work team, if I'm ever back in DC, I'm staying with you!

Convenient and comfortable
    • Superior King Room

No desk or table in the room. No coffee machine in the room. Leaking shower and only one throw rug.

Fabulous location. Quiet. Clean. Kind and competent reception.

Awesome Hotel..Great location!!
    • Superior King Room

Little to no closet space. Bathroom a little Small but well appointed. Free Coffee but no free breakfast bar/continental however the hotel is attached to a full service restuarant which is a plus. No free shuttle to airport!

Very nice hotel...newly remodeled and clean! Excellent location 1 block from Union station, Metro and Trolley Stops. Good for sight seeing, National Mall and museums! Brenda at the Front Desk gave us a warm welcome and provided excellent Customer Service. Staff was very helpful and friendly overall!! Would definitely stay again!

The lack of tea making facilities in the room.
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

The lack of tea making facilities in the room. Although tea and coffee were supposed to be available two floors below our room the tea did not make an appearance.

Stay there is you want prestige over comfort for $$$$
    • Superior King Room

room was very cramped -- seems as if they took all extra space from room to make bathroom (which was not large by any means). The $55 valet parking for one night was excessive. Huge, very hard pillows, no closet space.

In the same building as the Dubliner Irish Pub. Coffee on the second floor in the morning and newspaper in the lobby.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Very close to metro "union station" and can walk...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wi fi connection was ok, though it always disconnected.

Very close to metro "union station" and can walk to many tourist attractions. From the front of the hotel, we can see the Capitol Hall in the distance.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Very nice hotel
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

I didn't like that there was no coffee maker in the room and there were no vending machines that I could find. There was a coffee station on the second floor which was a very fancy machine but it was only available for a limited time in the morning. There was a restaurant attached to the hotel where you had to go for a cup of hot water to make tea or or cup of ice water. Just inconvenient.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Location was good.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

I liked the convenience of the location: close to the...
    • Superior King Room

I love having a coffee maker in the room. However, I did like the coffee drink maker provided and also having the two newspapers at our disposal.

I liked the convenience of the location: close to the National Mall, Union Station, and the monuments. Housekeeping staff were very pleasant. We liked going to the Dubliner for meals.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Good location, pleasant stay.
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

A toilet brush is needed to clean the toilet after use. Facilities to make a hot drink in the room are lacking. The USP is probably the Irish styled pub eating with live music. Those who like this approach will be very happy and for those for whom different styles appeal will find plenty in neighbouring hotels and bars. Chinatown is a short walk for those who like oriental food.

Location was very good to train, bus and taxi transport. Also close to the Capitol Building and other major sights such as museums and galleries.

Wonderful meals available in the downstairs Dubliner...
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

Closet space is limited, but not a big issue for shorter stays.

Wonderful meals available in the downstairs Dubliner restaurant. Staff were so welcoming, professionally efficient and helpful in every way! Excellent location with access to the major sites by walking or via the Circulator shuttle buses.

Good choice.
    • Superior King Room

The staff were superb. The hotel has obviously been renovated fairly recently and it looks very smart, tasteful and inviting. The room was pleasant and the bed extremely comfortable. Coffee and tea were provided in the lounge on the 2nd floor but I would have liked to have made my own in my room. The Dubliner (the bar restaurant attached to the hotel and where we had breakfast) was a very popular spot with the locals with live music every evening. The food was good and excellent value. Very close to station. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will go back when next in Washington.

Looks good from the outside, poor on the inside
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

The Hotel decided that shades are enough to cover the windows. Well, They didn't and light came into the room and I woke at 6:00 am. Could not keep the AC on during the night because it was too loud. The toilet paper is BEHIND you so it is impossible to get to it without turning around. The place is great. Clean. But the facility is deisgned very poorly

Location, Breakfast & Bed all good - falls short on value and complimentary items.
    • Standard Queen Room with One Queen Bed

Tiny room - poor value for money. No beverage facility in the room - only available until 10:00 am, then nothing, unless you went to the bar or ordered room service. Lack any kind of 'things to do' information leaflets/maps in the lobby.

The bed was very comfortable, even more so than the one back home. The Full Irish Breakfast was awesome...set me up for a good day's walking around DC. Great location for Union & Metro stations.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

great location and good hotel for our tour of the US
    • Superior King Room

would have liked the room to be larger, also the view from the window was very poor

location - ideal for our travel arrangements being almost next door to Amtrak train station