Reviews of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Carlsbad Beach 3 stars

751 Raintree Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92011, USA

#18 of 36 hotels in Carlsbad

Booked 3 days left in 2 supposed to have quiet hours after 10pm not so Thursday night not so bad but Friday was intolerable. Checked out the next morning to go home an sleep.

The beach was within walking distance.

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

They had rebar sticking up from the parking curb and it damaged the underside of my car.

Given dirty room at first, moved to new room, roaches in alarm clock and on walls, no working hair dryer

Beds were comfortable, manager was friendly, and continental breakfast was good.

On the website it says there is a cocktail lounge on propert but there is not

The front desk staff was extremely nice and helpful. Breakfast was good having hot items

The only issue I had was while we were stanyinh there one elevator was down so instead of two elevators there was only one. Sometimes you have to wait little bit but it was fixed before our stay was over

The only thing that bothers me is, the hotel is very noisy and you hear everything. we had the misfortune that someone trampled late into the night like if an elephant herd was walking around. terrible, my husband then called the front desk and they reacted quickly and made an end of it. at the breakfast it was very loud there are people who take no consideration and use their tablet as a TV and the very loud, screeching children should learn the behavior or the debt of the parents who tolerate that. have children themselves and we know how that is but we did not tolerate as parents or because you should also learn to behave children.

It was a nice hotel with very nice rooms, reception at the reception very friendly, well located and you do not hear much from the street noise. Breakfast was good with eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, yogurt, cereal etc.

Poor service. Backed up drains waited hours to get fixed. Then more problems with bath drain, had to check out early on go to another hotel.

Close to where I was goinh

That I had to leave the room eventually...lol..

The heated pool was good and how you have towels available . The front desk girl was very nice. I loved the continental breakfast.

Wish the computer office desk near the elevators was a self contained private room- and I wish there was more of a variety of drinks and snacks that were by the checkout desk. Did not like when I came back in the evening about 9 pm and saw all these smokers in front of the hotel smoking and some were in their pajamas- Maybe better to designate smoking section at side of the building.

The free breakfast, the dining area, the room, the workout room- liked the free USA Today newspaper

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

noisy building due to poor noise insulation. I could hear noise from neighboring rooms and upstairs

Comfortable bed and pillows, good size room, good location

The bed and pillow were very uncomfortable. We were also surprised that our room only had a shower and no bathtub.

The staff was very polite and accommodating. The daily breakfast was also very good. They had a nice make your own pancake station which my family used everyday.

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

When we checked in, we were upgraded to a suite at no extra cost. The staff were eager to please, friendly and helpful. We were there for 3 days and enjoyed every minute. I recommend this motel without exception. Well done Holiday Inn Express. CD

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

The weather was overcasted so the ocean view did not happen.

The bed was very comfortable, i especially enjoyed the walking in shower. Pillows were like sleeping on a cloud. I would travel there again

Parking was limited, and it looked like there was only one entrance? I was only there one night, tho, so I may be wrong. But fortunately I was lucky enough to find a spot in front so I wouldn't have to walk far with my 3 year old daughter.

Very comfortable, nice rooms, quiet, delicious breakfast

Pool and hot tub could be open until ten. Not as close to beach as we thought. We had to cross traffic to get there. Overall we were very happy with facility.

Breakfast was delicious. Enjoyed the cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon and sweet rolls,yogurt and fresh fruit . Pool slightly cool but did use one of the hot days. Hot tub very nice. Employees were all very pleasant.

Good location, easy to get to, across the street from market, drug store, a few fast food restaurants, can walk to the beach. Easy drive to Carlsbad village area. Our conference was well managed.

The ice machine was hard to locate.

Love our room, it was right next to the pool. Breakfast had a great variety and those cinnamon roles were to die for.

Booking made the mistake of saying there was a shuttle to legoland. Not true at all. Had to pay atleast $20 per day to park there

Staff was excellent! Such nice people and very clean facilities. Breakfast wasn't bad either.

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

I purchased a room with an ocean view and if I leaned way to right in the window and then looked wayyy to the left, there was a sliver of water!!!! I have no words for the breakfast. Not enough healthful options.

Cleanliness.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Mattress is a little too hard, I'd love it if they had pillow tops on the mattresses.

Beach is within walking distance, benihana is on-site, quiet even though hotel is on a busy street. STAFF IS SUPER FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL!!! We will definitely go back!

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Upon going in to the hotel, there was a strong cleaning solution smell, not very appealing while trying to have breakfast. I was very concerned that it would also be in the room, but it didn't; hence the positive ratings. Very few channels on TV (no options for little ones).

We were in town to visit Legoland, and the location was very convenient. The staff, including housekeeping, were very welcoming. Nice, simple, clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Breakfast area too small, front desk personnel too slow. Key only worked for a day had to go back to reactivate room key asked why and answer was " I don't know, security reasons".

The bed was comfy!

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

I paid extra for an ocean view and never saw the ocean. I know that the ocean view can't be guaranteed, but it shouldn't be an extra fee when you can't see it.

I really appreciate a microwave & refrigerator in the room. The room was quite comfortable & clean.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Roof was leaking first night o arrived so a smell of mold. Another guest came into my room while I was in bed. Housekeeping didn't clean my room had to complain.

The Keurig in the room.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The facility. Room was small. Pictures not reflective of the property. First room was dirty and smelled horrible. Was suppose to have an ocean view but didn't.

Not much

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

Didn't offer Gluten free choices or other protein alternatives besides eggs. Didn't have a USB to charge phones

Good variety of choices for breakfast. Room was spotless!

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

Hallway smelled bad. Shower door fell off the track. Shower was gross. Sink wasn't draining properly. If this is what Holiday Inn Corp. allows to carry their name I will never stay at a hotel carrying their name again. It was gross and over priced for something worse than a Hotel 2!

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was Excellent & the Staff is very friendly and supportive of my visit. The management & staff made sure my stay and extended stay was excellent.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

We have stayed in many hotels over the last 50 years, but never encountered a check-out procedure as ridiculous as yours. I have ALWAYS paid my bill after breakfast and then physically vacated the room in an hour or so after finishing our clean-up and packing. Your clerk informed me that this was not possible. Once the bill was paid, the room was open for housekeeping and must be vacated. Asinine!!!

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

My husband's birthday was ruined because all my money was taken out of my account for a double booking that happened by mistake and deposits taken and held...TOTAL Nightmare...

Joel cazares..he seemed genuinely sympathetic to my situation..reguarding booking.com

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

The mattress was so hard that botyh my wife and I suffered some morning aches.

The eggs were cooked very well and the breakfast provided a hardy meal to start the day.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Property was unsafe and caused me to have an accident. Due to a burnt out property light I trip and fell hard on a step I could not see. To make things worse they would not write up an accident report on my injured knee and foot and ignored me three times when I requested for one. Unacceptable!

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

I have to say there was nothing that I didn't like.

Everything was quite wonderful. It was a beautiful hotel and the staff was especially nice. Free breakfast was always hot and nicely prepared the coffee was very good.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Slightly expensive but still good value at the Booking.com rate.

Clean comfortable room and beds, good breakfast with some healthy items. We asked for a quiet room and thanks to the helpful staff were allocated a room facing away from the adjacent Freeway.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Tissue thin walls, MANY kids running through halls and overhead (I'm assuming LegoLand was nearby). Breakfast was crowded with little seating space.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

Location isn't ideal if you want to dine and wine in Carlsbad Village as you'll need to get a taxi in.

Value for money! Great room, facilities and breakfast at a great price!

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Refer to the comment above. I already covered everything.

The breakfast was really underwhelming especially since the staff suggested it. The day we checked out I don't remember her name but the woman at the counter at the time needs to work on her customer service. I was walking out to my vehicle with some belongings she immediately asks are you checking out. I said I will when I'm done. I then checked out an hour later she didn't ask if I wanted a receipt or could have one until I started walking out the building which I did because she said I was done checking out an didn't need to do anything else. The staff that was there when I checked in were great.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

You have a wonderful receptionist - KC could not have provided a better welcome. After a challenging day and her welcome, I would return to the hotel next time just because of her!

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

The carpet was DISGUSTING!!! It was sticky and we could not walk on it without shoes. My son walked on it with his clean socks and the socks were black. I worried about putting anything on the floor. It was SO GROSS. One of the elevators would not stop on the second floor. We had to make sure to only use the one on the left.

We liked the location to the things we were doing. The breakfast was good and the washer/dryer helped us out.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The toilet broke.The aircondition shut down at night it got too hot.The sheets were not changed for 5 days.not once.not enough table for breakfast.

The whole place was neat.Family friendly.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

The BED. It was sooo hard, my back and hips are out. Need to see my chiropractor asap! Also the sink in the bathroom was backed up. Housekeeping should have reported that to maintenance.

Location was ideal, not far from the beach, as well as restaurants, and shops. The property was very fresh and modern. Not far from the freeway either.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

I may have had a trainee on the housekeeping staff, as my coffee wasn't replaced my second day there, nor was my trash emptied in the bedroom.

Nice choice of food at breakfast!

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

Stayed several nights but had to work really hard to get a room in a decent location. One of the shower doors was broken; TV had no sound on ABC channel. Trash container right outside as you enter hotel was completely overflowing.

The pool area was pretty and the hotel has a contemporary look. Cinnamon rolls are delicious. Nice workout room, but the stepper creaks with every rotation.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

Breakfast could have been better. Eggs were baked in sheets and then cut into servings. Sausage felt microwaved. Good selection, though.

Quiet location.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

The carpet in the room and felt sticky and damp. The remote control kept running out of the power so we had to adjust the battery.

Staff were very friendly, helpful and welcoming (:

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

the fitness center was not updated. Weights were missing, machines were old and not working well. Very disappointed. I was told it was an ocean view it was not. I would have booked the Hilton at Carlsbad for view if I had know as I am a Hilton member

the staff and their willingness to make you comfortable

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

Elevator trouble so we had to take the stairs to the third floor

Good variety of breakfast items and a big seating area for breakfast, less than 10 minutes from Legoland, beds very comfortable

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Check in was fast friendly and accomodating. Room perfect. Morning breakfast good fresh plentiful variety. Would definitely return to this hotel.

Excellent variety of choices for breakfast. Hotel was clean. Staff was helpful. We only stayed 1 night, would have stayed more.

Everything was excellent

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Not bad, but there’s some room for improvement. Sewer smell in the bathroom.

Great breakfast. Friendly staff.

No complaints!

Great value for the cost. Location is easily accessible. Good lighting in the room

Breakfast was good

I got check-out one hour late for free!

Location, Cleaniness of Room, Friendliness Of Staff, No Hidden Fees, No hassles

The bed was a little harder than I am used to, but it was still good and I felt well rested. My niece said it was too hard for her.

Everything.

I don’t have anything to say or complain.

I like everything.

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

Housekeeping was very poor. Room was dirty. Linen was poorly cleaned, if at all.

You are not pet friendly!

BREAKFAST

Elevators. Room noise

Noisy rooms. People ba going on floors and walls all night

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

It became overcast and could not appreciate the ocean view

Excellent Breakfast

• Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Not the best location. Also, Unfriendly staff, not too helpful. Not everyone though. So far only in this location I have experienced this.

no complimentary water in the room.

Truly value for money. very nice staff. spacious room.

The breakfast

Quiet and easy to find

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

I felt comfortable, safe, at ease, and spoiled during my stay. Thank you for taking care of me. ❤️

There was no bacon at breakfast both days

Enjoyed my stay. My 4 year old loved it

The staff was very friendly. The facility was exactly how I expected from viewing the pictures online.

noisy and I ask for to change sheets they never done it.

Atmosphere

It would be nice to have gravy for the great biscuits.

• Deluxe King Room with Ocean view - Non-Smoking

Friendly staff. Delicious breakfast. Free parking. Quite area.

• Queen Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

The pool was not heated and it it was it needs to be warmer. No pool towels anytime that we went and it didn’t open at 9am we had to wait around

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

But the water tap in bath room is weak!!

Tidy and clean! friendly staff! good location!

It is very close to Legoland, and very easy to from places to places