Reviews of Rodeway Inn & Suites El Cajon San Diego East 3 stars

1250 El Cajon Boulevard, El Cajon, CA 92020, USA

#12 of 15 hotels in El Cajon

6.2

I found blood spray on the wall in the bathroom from someone injecting drugs that was never even attempted to be cleaned. All of the staff was pleasant accept for the young kid that checked me in. His reply’s were short and rude and instead of being unapologetic for an issue that was caused by the hotel he had the attitude that I just needed to deal with it

The location. Was good

Dirty rooms. Blood stains on the carpet in one room and also pills were found. Comforters had cigarette burns holes in them.

Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Kudos to him.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

No breakfast at all, and no sugar for coffee, the carpet in my room had stains, the bathroom sink was cracked, the microwave plate didn't spin and had a burn stain, the bathtub plug didn't work so I had to shower with my 3 yr old child, office said they'd have maintenance come fix it and no one ever showed up. This place really isn't worth the $76 a night that I've spent here.

It cost way too much for what this hotel was. There was nothing spectacular about it. We only stayed one night so we didn't care. Still for the money i expected a little more. Very outdated rooms.

We only stayed one night. The room didn't smelled way too stuffy.

There were homeless people living in the parking lot. The staff needs a lot of training. The room was $190.00 for 2 nights, not bad. Until I check in and they have charged my credit card an additional $100.00. When I asked why, they didn't have an answer. Today I noticed the charge has cleared my account. I called the corporate office and they don't show a charge of $100.00 on their side. I had to email them a copy of my bank statement showing the charge. There is no estimate on when the credit back to me will take place. We stayed 2 days. The maid never came in and brought fresh towels. While checking in another guest was on the phone yelling at the desk clerk. He got irritated and hung up on the guest on the phone. This was a miserable experience. I travel to the area quite a few times a year and have never had an experience like this.

Conveniently located next to the freeway.

Did not like that it wasent fully clean when i checked in. Even when i call front desk and let them know if they could have it done in the morning and the next day nothing. Also that they dont do house cleaning everyday they clean your room until 2 days and if i need towels i had to go to the front desk and get it myself in the middle of the night....Ect

The room was supposed have been non smoking. When we open the door the smell of a dirty ash tray smell. Someone had been smoking in that room. We asked to move. They said no other rooms. There was so much noise at night. The area where the hotel is located very questionable. We were going to cancel our stay but we would have been charged for the stay anyways. It was only one night and we won't be back. We won't recommend it to anyone!!!!

Wish the pool was open later and breakfast lasted longer.

Easy location and check in and out. The staff was even friendly enough to extend our check out time by 30 minutes!

• Deluxe King Suite - Non-Smoking

every room i was in had some maintenance issue and cops are always here. There's alot of drug usage and trafficking too

The friendly manner in which i was taken care of. It was very warm and welcoming.

The toilet leaked. There was no working change machine so to get quarters for laundry I had to spend unnecessary money for drinks and snacks.

Did not serve breakfast thete

There were a few minor things. I needed new batteries for the remote to the tv. There was a minor leak of water in the bathroom.

The staff was excellent. They were friendly and accommodating.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I had to walk too far to my room from parking, but I could handle it.

The hotel clerk was very friendly and helpful and the room was just fine for 1 person and for the amount I paid. I was not expecting a palace and the location was just right...next to the freeway so I could get to my destinations quickly.

Tv remote didn't work, they said they would send someone to look at, they never showed. They said it was a non smoking room, it stunk of stale cigarettes.

The room was a little on the small side. I wouldn't sit in the chair because it was very dirty and worm. No alarm clock in the room or coffee I had to go down to the lobby to get coffee.

The room was clean and the location was good.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

We travel with our infant son, and asked for a non smoking room, but we got a heavily smoked in room with an ash tray next to a sign that said no smoking. We were too tired to try and get another room.

Having a bed to sleep on for the night. Customer service is always good here.

An adequate enough room for a low end stay. But I was locked out of my room by a malfunctioning lock. Fortunately I wasn't in a hurry since the maintenance person didn't show up for about an hour. Fortunately I tried a few times & was able to get in before then.

It was conveniently located close topp the freeway, stores & the El Cajon Transit Center. The room was comfortable enough though the furnishings had good wear.

Room is too crowded no room to walk through

Staff seems understanding to communicate with someone who is deaf, flexible payment. I feel so good to be safe than stuck outside raining. They are heart touched. The place is just so what, important sleep under roof for children sake.

The shower head. The tram going by was a deal breaker. Woke up to that super early and couldn't go back to sleep. obviously not something the hotel can control.

Easy parking and access to room.

• King Room - Smoking

Charge me extra to check in, $25.00. My car took off and there were two women fighting in the parking lot, when dropped off. The car I took there left, and I was told an additional $25.00 to get in my room. I had no where to go and no way to get there, I was stuck.

There was only one elevator and I had to keep going thru the lobby to get to it. But I understand, security. And my room had no hot water😢

I liked that it was easy to find and when I walked in they had everything decorated for Xmas! That was nice😊 The staff was so friendly. Even the check in clerk addressed me by name. That was nice

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

All rooms should have a single chair - some do and some don't.

Internet available in lobby - free coffee at 6:00 a.m. instead of 7:00 as I've found elsewhere!

WiFi

Jacuzy.two beds were hard and the springs.around the frame of mattress was offull I like this motel but there some thing that need improvement .the wy fy was not good

too many "suspicious" drug people there, trolley noise, smell of marijuana everywhere for sure there is people there staying with no good intension.

I did like they moved us room after a sleepless night from the adjacent room .

Staff, Rooms were not comfortable at all. They charged my credit even though I said not to charge because u was using a different card.

Nothing great to say

Leaky faucet,air conditioning was really weak, next door had a noisy air conditioner lightin in room was weak,spa didn't work for two days.no internet for two days it's day 3 and still no internet. Ice machine looks dirty/ contaminated.only one dryer to dry clothes.

Room service

Less noise and traffic of people and the room not stinking of cigarettes.

Do not recommend this place! They have traffic going and coming all night. People right outside your room arguing and yelling all night. I'm pretty sure the people they rent to on weekly stays are doing illegal stuff. When we were leaving in the morning they were under cover police men raiding the woman with all the traffic all nights room.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The front desk was no help when I asked where my towels were. They had me walk down to pick them up, and only gave me one. The AC did not work, nor did the TV remote control and the bathrooms had black mold.

Through booking.com I requested a single room with a king size bed. We ended up getting a double room with two queen beds. The top lock on the door was broken and you couldn't put the latch on. Also, you had to push the door hard to lock it. Then the pillows had little bugs on them. It was late so we didn't want to try to change the room so we checked all over both beds to make sure no more bugs. Then in the bathroom the button for the light was loose so the light did not always work. The light outside the bathroom where the sink is would flicker for about a minute after you turned it off. When my boyfriend and I first checked in the staff member was pretty rude. She did not acknowledge us and when she finally did we did not get a warm greeting. Also my credit card was on file because of booking the room through the app so she went ahead and charged my credit card and didn't ask how we wanted to pay. We wanted to pay cash but my card was already charged. During check out, again I was ignored for a few minutes before I was given a greeting. I told the woman about the room and what wasn't working and the bugs but she did not seem to care at all. I will NOT recommend this hotel to any of my family or friends. I also will NOT be returning.

There were good movies playing on the cable and the ac was not too loud.

• King Room - Smoking

Needs breakfast, would make this my favorite despite being a little far from restaurants and shopping, no longer a problem thanks to Uber.

Always clean, great facility for the money

• King Room - Smoking

Room they gave me already had people staying in it so when I opened the door with the key I was given had a woman half naked in the bed

Nice room quite

• King Room - Smoking

The worst experience I never had before the stuff members are not help full the room was dirty we requested non smoking room unfortunately we received in side the room small full of marijuana we are very disappointed

Nothing we like

Everything, there were stains on the walls, ceilings, bed frame, the carpets, the dressers are all torn up and scratched and broken. This place is not sleepable. I was up all night because the ac in the room was from the 90's and didn't turn on (also all busted and broken) and there were people screaming and partying in the halls all night and nothing was done about it. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

I did not like anything the place was very gross

There was blood stains on the walls and the blanket. When I asked a staff member for another blanket she told me I would have to go down to the laundry.

There were hookers hanging out waiting for customers. Room smelled cigarette even though it was non smoking. Girls lady's were so out of it walking around asking how to get down stairs. No shower curtain. Sheets had blood stains. Stood because there wasn't any where else at the time.

Nothing very bad.

The girls at the front desk looked like they hated their jobs. Very unfriendly and hostile. Called front desk in the middle of the night to ask a question and no one answered. Never been to a motel where no one answered the phone.

Close to freeway and convenient stores. Less than half a mile away from Sycuan Casino

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Very smoky smell in room. Evidence of "short term" tenants hanging around using profane language. Many questionable and sketchy characters hanging outside building and parking lot.

Location to my destination was just right.

• King Room - Smoking

The A/C didn't work. Room door was busted pretty bad and I saw a mouse in the bathroom before they transferred me to a second room which wasn't much better. I wish I had a refund to be honest with you. It was NOT worth the hassle. I would have had more comfort sleeping in my car.

The pillows.

The check in staff the female manager was very rude to any questions I had.very rude checking me out.deposit was not available at check out and had me waiting for many hours

The rooms

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

I didn't like waiting for a room I reserved after I had set a time frame to show up. The room was hot and the AC was not running properly.

Love the comfortability of the bed and how clean it was inside.

There was blood on our comforter. They gave us one roll of toilet paper. There was no remote in the room for the television. When we requested one they never responded so we went down and got it ourselves. The elevator wasn't working so we walked the stairs to the 3rd floor several times during our stay. On the 2nd night we got a knock at the door telling us we had to leave because we hadn't paid and had no reservations. When I called the desk attendant was extremely nasty and told me to come down to the desk. I went to the desk with my confirmation on my phone which the attendant didn't even have to decency to look at my phone. She cut me off when I was trying to explain then asked my last name. Still not looking at my evidence or me for that matter. When I began to speak again she said "I found it." Apparently the additional day I added at the beginning of the stay was the problem and I was supposed to be checked out and checked back in again! Really?! 9:30 at night I got out of bed to go down and clear this up and she didn't even apologize for her error! All she said was sign here and your "good to go". I've never been treated with so much disrespect. I will never stay here again.

The initial desk attendant was very nice and accommodating.

The first room they gave me had small bugs flying around, and a broken AC unit. The worst part is that the staff knew about the issue when I asked for a new room. The second room had stains towels, stained shower, and stained sheets with hair. It is located next to a freeway so it's noisy on top of hearing pimps argue with their hoes, people selling drugs on site, and hearing gun shots in the middle of the night. My friends room had the same issue with the sheets and towels and broken AC unit. Worst hotel experience ever.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

No Plug in near desk, just OK towels, windows not able to open.

Refrigerator, microwave and great mattress. Small desk area. Remotes for a/c and tv convenient. Public computer in lobby.

No restaurants in the area .vending machines a very small selection along with no coffee and donuts in the morning

I like to price of the room and the size of the room

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Laundry had only one working washer. Unable to get change at front desk or refund of money put in the non operational machine. There seemed to be a lot of loitering around the premises.

In room micro,fridge and coffee. Lots of storage space and comfortable beds and bedding.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Queen Bed Suite

The only thing that i didnt like is the fact they do not serve breakfast.

First i want to say how much I liked the staff. They was all super friendly and always has a smile on there face. Located right off the freeway, which I think it's wonderful. Casino is only like 5-10 minutes away.

The lady at the front desk was not very well trained. We had made a mistake when we booked our reservation (that was our fault). And customer service at booking.com was great. However the lady at the desk really did not know how to help....she didn't know how to locate the changes booking.com made, even when booking.com talked to her directly on the phone. Finally, a manager saw what was happening, and helped us. Also, their pool is a major attraction at this hotel - it was closed the entire time with no explanation available.

The rooms were nice, the bed comfortable. I liked that there was a small refrigerator and microwave in the room. The TV was big, which was nice.

the outside of the property looked like the projects/hood. there were 3 cop cars on site when we were there. the hotel was almost like an apt complex people hangin outside smoking and hollering and carrying on. I wanted to have peace and quiet and I didn't get that. I almost tripped going up and down the stairs that were coming apart and wobbly. the room smelled bad and was extremely hot. the AC unit didn't work as I thought it would and it was really loud so we did have to turn it off in the middle of the night. i will not stay again.

the bed was phenomenal

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• King Room - Smoking

The fact that the staff or mange ment did not try to compensate for the elevator being broke and i was stuck up stairs and could not take my dog potty.or go swimming and the phone in my room didnt work at all and i could not get ahold of the staff.i had more guests offer me help then the staff.

At the

Needs to add breakfast like they had at that facility with previous owners. Note that breakfast is available at other Roadway hotels in the area. Always long line at checkout. Need additional staff at busy times.

Good value. Very good facility for the money.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

That the shower curton let the water get all ove the floor. The tub could use a grip of some sort to make it less slippery.

The room was very nice, and clean.

I got there around 8p and they cancelled my reservation and never called me like the hotel's do to let me know. Then they offered me another room at a higher price so I was very upset. I heard its a nice hotel but was I upset and went to Old town San Diego and stayed in a really nice hotel for $15 more across the street from the casino.

This place is our absolute favorite,my wife and I get excited to stay I guess,it's the whole thing the room are beautiful,there equipt ,and well thought of maintenance.They just are great,it honestly my first choice of all hotels in San Diego,staff is cool easy going and good prices,thumbs up guys

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

The room had no heat and the unit was broken. When I called to ask the staff member told me to turn it the opposite direction for hot. I couldn't tell which way I was turning it. I will never use this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Used to have very good continental breakfast. They no longer have breakfast. Should have coffee maker. Free Wi-Fi is terrible and costs extra $5 a day for upgraded that is usable.

Rooms have microwave and fridge

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

TV remote had no batteries. Had to go get some. Then the TV wouldn't turn on. Once we spent time moving cables, it turned on but we couldn't change the channels...

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

this motel is a DUMP! I got to this place Friday night. At reception and outside street women and pimps . Drugged woman was sitting on the stairs, dog police came later and checked the place, First I got room 113. When I turn on the light roaches ran all over the sink.Went back to reception, nice lady told me she knows that they have cockroaches. I was given room 201. Everything in the room was nasty, carpet dirty, bed skirt ripped off, walls with hols and stains, bathtub dirty. I wanted to get my money back and leave but I was told I cant get a refund. I can not believe Booking.com works with this type of motel. I was scared to death! VERY DISAPPOINTING Is the management uses the former Quality Inn site? It is unbelievable what I was able to see in that place!

friendly staff

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

The lights didn't have light bulbs. There was dirt in the tub. And there was no iron or blow dryer.

I didnt like anything but normally i get better service and a much nicer room.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

This was dirty and unsafe. Staff was unfriendly. No fire alarms or sprinklers. Drugs and used condoms in the parking lot. Company unable to be reached

There was a roof

Customer concerns. Cleanliness.the place is dirty. Don't go unless you need a shower or bed.

No customer service skills whatsoever. Rude. Inattentive. I work in customer service and this place lacks greatly...I worked with 3 females at the counter and each one of them need acute training. Pathetic.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Room was very small, no chair, no table...the Internet was so slow at times and TV, didn't have family channels.

The service ladies were hospitable.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

outside not clean, counter top pieces were toss outside on lawn, water running from washer and dryer area, mold around bathroom window.

gentleman office staff was friendly

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

see above

nice rooms comfortable bed but all windows were filthy the parking lot was always trashed andrailings n laundry room gross but employees were nice maids couldvreally use supervision

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

This hotel was selected due to location and price. There were very "questionable" people throughout the facility. I specifically asked for a non smoking room and to not be put next to a smoking room and my room reeked of cigarettes- it was unbearable. My neighbors were up alllll night and I could hear them very clearly. I did not sleep. I was scheduled to stay 5 nights but I checked out after just one night. They may modify your stay but take waaaay to long to credit your account. I have never had such a miserable stay in a hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Personal information all over the place, they take a picture of your driver license and personal information and after that they just put in a regular dump, any one can have access how you know if someone already has not still your information, the worst hotel ever !

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Staff was rude, room was dirty, it was sandwiched right between the freeway and a light rail - unbelievably noisy. Shower didn't work, tub was absolutely filthy.

Nothing at all about this property was likable.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• King Room - Smoking

The mold, cobwebs,old air conditioning units with no knobs TV that doesn't work and maintenance staff not on duty until Monday front desk staff new on Thanksgiving didn't know what she was doing at check in spray bottle on the housekeeping cart with bleach after cleaning restrooms spraying the walls down after cleaning them no wiping needed air dry keep away mold I do it daily at my own home

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

• Queen Bed Suite

I reserved my room a good month in advance. Upon arrival, I was told that my reservation was cancelled. I spent nearly an hour just waiting for them to figure it out. And then it was a totally unnecessary delay. The clerk was new and had a lot of difficulty, while the night manager sat there and did not help the situation. She was rather rude and inappropriate. Except for the first day, I never saw a housekeeper trying to clean my room. Three days I left the "do not disturb" sign off my door, but I did not receive service. Despite the location boasting about handicap parking, there was one ONE spot! And it was always full. From the minute I got there, I had a problem with gnats. I resorted to purchasing fly swatters and was still fighting them until I left.

The bed was very comfortable, plenty of pillows. I had a sofa sleeper and a chair in one room, with the bedroom in the other room. I asked to be placed near the elevator, and I was. There were modern vending machines in the lobby, and they accept cards, as well as cash. Even though the Metro train ran right outside the hotel and the freeway was on the other side, it was quiet.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Smoking

Sorry,I put the dislikes in the likes box. I didnt want to rewrite all the dislikes again.

Room wasmt clean, lamps didnt work,front desk staff was rude and inconsistent about checkout times,jacuzzi not operating correctly,stairs were falling apart and dangerous!!!

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

filthy outside lazy clean staff dog poop evetywhete 0atking lot trashed

bed the room was nice real nice but thats all except two desk employees were nice

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

they did not have free breakfast like it said on booking the hotel they rent out to all kinds of people having sex with connected room and people spilling stuff in elevator and smoking drug deals being made on property hot tub not hot was told it was broken 1 ice machine only on 1 side of motel and not very good staff to correct the situation not about customer service at all

free coffee

This location needs to be shut down! What didn't work: light switch, microwave, bathroom fan. In order to get lights, we had to plug in lamps & alarm behind the bed - VERY dirty!!, entertainment center was FULL of dust, the 2nd night our door had been bolted from the INSIDE and maintenance had to use hacksaw to remove the security bolt which meant we had no security bolt for that night! Since this was a prepay through your site, the management would not refund my money.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

The TV in my room was old. It was not high definition or a flat-screen. Room also was pretty small. The air conditioning system was pretty beat up. Hard to keep privacy with the type of blinds on the windows.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• King Room - Smoking

The staff was rude and unacommadating. I went to get the second parking permit for my boyfriend who was staying the night with me and when we approached the counter the manger continued the conversation with the employee as if we weren't there. Then after a well over 30 seconds he says I'll be with you shortly continuing the conversation for another 2 minutes with us just standing there waiting to be helped. When I went to check out there were about 4 girls 2 of which were sitting on eachothers laps. They were playing music and talking to the girl who was supposed to be working. This lady helped me immediately but was laughing and talking before she was even finished helping me. Very unprofessional. Also the room had old sunflower seeds behind the desk and bed. Yes this isn't the Westin but with s little more attention it could be better.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

A/C didn't have knobs to control the temperature. Talked to the staff however, maintenance never showed up. I was unable to watch TV. The chanel thathe did work was not clear. Could not change channels at all. Non smoking room however, it smelled heavily as if it was a smoking room. Access to the stairway was very inconvenient. 1 stairway was completely off limits & taped off.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Condition of the room. Had a problem with the TV and person could not help or wanted to help. Room has mold on the wall of the bathroom.

It was easy access to roads