Reviews of Comfort Inn & Suites Airport Dulles-Gateway 2 stars

45515 Dulles Plaza, Sterling, VA 20166, USA

#17 of 20 hotels in Sterling

This place does fine on most of the big stuff.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking was completely full when I arrived at night, and the staff had no solution except to park at the adjoining hotel which was full also. WiFi was very slow and unreliable. Breakfast was a cramped chaos of collisions and bumping elbows. Roads in the area had expensive ($4) tolls that had unannounced costs and your GPS might not have avoided or warned you about. Coffee cups in the room and at breakfast looked like they were about 6 oz. in size.

This place does fine on most of the big stuff. The room was spacious and clean, and the bed was comfortable. The kitchenette in the room was a pleasant surprise. Staff was pleasant to talk to, even when they were dealing with a slow computer system. But the problematic "little things" really add up here.

Not very good!

The parking was terrible, we couldnt find a parking spot. Also the 3rd floor air didnt work. It was so hot. And the air conditioning would come on for a few minutes and then turn off. It was so hot at night, so we couldnt sleep.

The breakfast.

Very displeased about the payment issue
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The rooon was extra small couldn't hardly move around in the room and the price should have been little less maybe 79 instead if 89

The place was nice and clean the front desk person was nice

Very good shuttle service to and fron airport.

Location is a bit odd.

Very good shuttle service to and fron airport. They checked me in around 10.30am which was really appreciated since I was in a 16 hr flight and it would have been a disaster if I had to wait till 3pm.

Okay place to stay but need some serious work inside and out.

The room was small and it did not have a refrigerator in it. The inside of the building was okay but the carpet need some serious cleaning and the some of the drapes needs to be replaced. The outside need some serious work and additional parking is definitely needed. I used the exercise room which was very small and the elliptical machine did not work that well. Overall the stay was okay but I do not plan on staying there again.

The breakfast was good.

The room was very comfortable.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very comfortable. It was a busy holiday weekend and it was very difficult to find a parking space. We had to park in the lot at the hotel next door on two of our three evenings there.

Close to the airport, but not worth it. I'd stay somewhere else next time.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room smelled like smoke, which should never, ever happen at a non-smoking hotel. I also arrived late at night (pre-arranged) and there was no one at the desk. I had to call out for someone three times before anyone heard me (there is no bell) and then the night manager seemed annoyed to be called.

There was plenty of breakfast, even with a large crowd. The staff was working hard to ensure enough for everyone.

Terrible shuttle service ( or non-service)

The shuttle driver was late! And we missed our flight. We ended up using Uber, even though i had registered with reception that we need the 5 AM shuttle to the airport. We lost $963 to re-book another flight for the same day.

Handy Complementary dinner.

The hotel was very basic but that is all we wanted as we...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I appear to have been charged twice for this establishment. I first paid up front in February & when they asked for my credit card I was charged again. The receptionist was not interested at all in the fact I'd already paid, so something is not right with the bookings.com notifications.

The hotel was very basic but that is all we wanted as we were leaving early the next day. The free transfer to Dulles was great.

Could’ve been a lot better, cleaning staff should learn to respect privacy.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My room was beside the elevator so it was very noisy all night long. Also the cleaning staff entered my hotel room without knocking, while I was in the bathroom. I had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door handle too. Very embarrassing! Also the shower head was slightly broken so the water pressure was poor.

Good for a quick overnight.

It seemed a bit run down and not entirely clean in the hallways, etc. I could smell cigarette smoke in the hallway and in my room as well, although I understand that this is a bit out of their control.

The shuttle picked us up quickly and we were not more than 10 mins from the airport. It was a very easy overnight stay for connecting out of Dulles, IAD.

Was very disappointed in that we went down for breakfast...

Had a good stay.

Was very disappointed in that we went down for breakfast more then 10 minutes before it was scheduled to close. The food items were still out yet the lady said breakfast is all done while it was very visibly not! Staff at checkin in were friendly yet the following morning the staff could not speak English very well nor answer any questions I had.

I did not like having you place a hold on my debt card for...

I did not like having you place a hold on my debt card for the whole weekend (so far). No other motel has ever done this and it will have an effect on my staying at other Choice Motels in the future.

Comfortable bedding, reasonable price

I had a bathroom light/fan combo that made a terrible noise - told the front desk but I think they were not able to fix it as it was still loud the second night of our stay

The bed and pillows were very comfortable

Overall a very nice stay at a great price with a convenient location to freeway and gas station.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was a bit cluttered and the desk chair didn't actually fit under the desk properly.

The front desk staff was the friendliest staff I have ever dealt with and the location was ideal for our purposes.

The screen in the airplane not working When I was iwell and all cabinets in the business or a broken
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The screen in the airplane not working well and all cabinets in the business or a brokenThe stuff in the airplane it’s very nice and I don’t have anything to say about them. When I was in the airport in Washington the one who’s Jake and it is in Blithe and shout think with the house and this is really unacceptable when he is talking with us

It was comfortable , convenient and without any hassles

It' not a big deal but the lady at the reception did not give us a shaving kit even though the next day someone else on the shift gave it to us. Just give it to your guests if you have it...

The coffee and juice vending machine was open 24 hours for guests. I loved the fact that we could get good coffee anytime at the reception.

Appearance and cleanliness- we also had bedbugs which prevented us from enjoying the room.

The staff didn't hesitate to help when we told them about the bedbugs and allowed us to dry our clothes to make sure that we got rid of them. Not sure if that was hospitality or that they just knew they had them.

Horrible

The lady at the front desk gave me a dirty room, with no heat and broken glass in the provided hair dryer. The staff was slow to resolving my concerns and did nothing about it, until I called corporate.

Great staff
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

no shops or restaurants nearby. A bit pricey for an apartment with this standard.

The staff was amasing, and did everything to make our stay comfortable.

Decent, basic room out of the 1980s, but don't count on the shuttle
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Waited for 45 minutes and the airport shuttle never arrived! Had to take taxi. Breakfast could have been better - plastic silverware, paper plates, and processed omelettes. Waffle iron was nice though.

Basic, decent room.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

You get what you paid for!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

For value in budget hotel it is great.Staff are helpful To get shuttle to comfort inn you need to wait at H2 which is last stop outside Dulles Airport. If you wait at first place labelled hotel shuttle,you may miss and have to wait half an hour.

The hotel is a budget hotel aqnd offers good value for a pre flight overnight stay. However ,although there were a few sandwiches offered and a breakfast which we missed due to early start,there is no restaurant.Hotel has take away menus for chinese, Indian and Italian and they deliver.We had a chinese which was acceptable.. Room was good size and bed was comfortable.

You get what you pay for...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Uncomfortable stay overall. The evening and morning front desk personnel did not look happy at all. They were also difficult to find and were usually in the back of their office. When I first entered, the room was ridiculously set to high COLD when it was 30 degrees outside. When putting it into low HEAT or high HEAT, no heat was ever released. In fact, it made obnoxious clicking noises. I had to wear multiple layers of clothing and my jacket under the bed sheets. Bathroom had wear and tear. The showers only released luke warm (that's being generous) water. It was mostly cold. I don't do reviews often..but need to warn folks to stay away from this one.

The free breakfast was pretty good.

Very convenient location for 1-2 nights stay near airport.

Breakfast until 9:30, it could be at least till 10:00.

Very convenient location for 1-2 nights stay near airport. Airoport shuttle, long term parking lot at the hotel location. Very comfortable room and bed , excellent value for money. Definitely will stay again.

We were unexpectedly upgraded to King size bed no extra cost...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We were unexpectedly upgraded to King size bed no extra cost, Staff was great felt very secure walking into Lobby for breakfast with bacon smell was delightful !

beds were comfy
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel needs to fix a lot of items such as broken bathroom door handles, bathroom floor and walls could have been scrubbed (spots on walls, hair behind closed door on floor, toothpaste on front of sink , needed vacuumed,walls very thin, caulking needed in bathroom sink, sink was also cracked in the bowl two places all the way across the bowl, place needs a lot of repairs and upkeep. Looks very dated. Only a value when price is discounted. Breakfast was so-so. Did not sleep much due to noise of traffic and thin walls. A lot of this I can overlook but prefer a competitors hotel.

beds were comfy

Below Avergae Stay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The size of the room for the price you pay.

Breakfast very good and front office very good too. The rooms like Motel 6 and very small. The service to and from the Mall and the Airport was great

Bed was firm and comfortable.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Dead flies and stink bugs on the window sill were not removed after the daily housekeeping. Sheets were wrinkled and had stains... makes me wonder if the sheets were changed after the last guests.

Bed was firm and comfortable. Hot breakfast was nice. Microwave and refrigerator in the room is nice.

Comfort Inn and Suites is exactly what the name says.

Nothing, we will always stay at this hotel. The distance to the airport was fantastic. The shuttle saved us money on transportation. Having a clean comfortable room is very important.

The room was bigger than we was in the pictures. everything was clean. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was so kind and informative about restaurants, getting to the airport and the mall that is close by. We could not have asked for nicer people. I would only recommend that a safe be put into the rooms.

It was way more better than our expectations.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Just one thing that we had to call the hotel shuttle to pick us up from airport and we didnt know this before so waited there long time and asked other shuttles drivers to inform us. But good thing that after call they came just in 6mins

Room and bathroom were spacious. I was not expecting microwave and fridge in the room but it was wonderful to see all of that in one room. Such a friendly hotel staff. Thankyou!

Overall very disappointed.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

After missing all our flights due to Hurricane Irma, and having to re book and re schedule everything, when I called the property to ask them to send the shuttle, the front desk lady "Dee" was exceptionally rude. She said that the shuttle would be there in fifteen minutes, after my fourth phone call and an hour and fifteen minutes later, a Comfort Inn shuttle arrived and we boarded. Not being local we did not realize that there were different shuttles for different Comfort Inn properties. Needless to say, we ended up at the wrong property, who refused to accommodate us saying they were full. We then had to shuttle back to the correct property which took another hour, only to be told by the front desk of the second Comfort Inn, that the first one SHOULD have helped us as they always keep two rooms available for distressed guest as well as for guests who end up at the wrong property. We were then checked into a room on the third floor, where I had specifically requested a room on the ground floor. Furthermore, the toilet in the room was leaking, and I was told that we should just use the toilet in reception on the ground floor. Bit of a nightmare!

The Manager Vanessa McManus, assisted me in getting my cell phone charger delivered to the airport after I forgot it in the room, and the shuttle operator was also very friendly.

Ideal sanctuary after long flight and entry through two countries
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Great for initial night, but too far from city for longer stay.

Helpful staff. Clean and comfortable. Close to airport. Good breakfast included. Shuttle to airport to catch city shuttle. Great after long flight and delays plus rain.

Worse experience EVER!!!

My son ended up with bites over his entire upper body. There also was guys smoking pot in the room beside us. The entire hallway was filled with marijuana smell. The cops had to remove them from the facility.

It was fine

Being charged a early departure charge as job ran of material so had no need to stay the last day. Will talk with hotel on Tuesday when i go back and if this cant be removed ( as i will be staying down here for 6-7 months off and on ) and will then find another alternative

Overall a nice place to stay

The name needs to be changed to Discomfort Inn.

Everything. The place smelled and felt like a swamp. The rooms were so humid that my clothes felt damp all of the time and they were kept in my luggage. There were weird looking people hanging around the property as thought the place may be a homeless shelter.

Absolutely nothing.

Uncomfortable, bad experience for me and my daughter
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The services was awful the AC does not work properly. Also, I check in but I can not access my room for a couple hours.

The location was great just 5 minutes to IAD

Confortable and nice staying 😊

If you're staying for turist purposes, is to far and difficult to access.

Good breakfast, very friendly & nice staff and rooms clean and confortable. Specially for passengers in transit.

Very clean!!! Very friendly staff.. Polite. And nice to us.

No worries, no complaints.

The breakfast offering was good. Nice variety. Very clean. Did I say clean. The attendant restocked every 15 minutes and it seemed everyone was happy with the choices.

The staff was very nice.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

My room, the AC leaked so the floor was sopping wet and smelled like mold. The bathtub the cold water did not work, only the hot water. The hotel in the hallway the temperature was 81, luckily my room was cold but the AC was leaking water.

The staff was very nice. Liked the shuttle service to the airport

Uncomfortable Stay

Beds awful - refrigerator didn't work - food and drinks were not usable next day. USB outlets did not work -Tv service kept cutting off.

Staff at front desk during check in

Needs Work "Badda Boom"
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Generally poor maintenance throughout the facility. Parking areas unswept. Exercise room not available. Tiny room and desk. No refrigerator. Only one baggage cart.

The room provided basic necessities, the bed was comfy, and...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I waited at the shuttle pick-up location for 1 hour and 10 minutes. The receptionist Informed me that the hotel shuttle would be there by 2115, I was at the pick up location at 2105. It wasn't until I called the hotel at 2210 to notify them that I had been waiting for the shuttle that they finally sent the shuttle my way. Fortunately the shuttle was there within 10 minutes, but still, communication is key! I also stayed in a room located near the elevator, which was an easy way to hear all the foot traffic & inconsiderate guests stumbling in.

The room provided basic necessities, the bed was comfy, and the front desk offered hygiene products that I misplaced. The breakfast was delicious. It offered the normal waffles, sausages, scrambled eggs, and other breakfast items. There is also a convenience store/ gas station, Sheetz, a stone's throw away if you're interested in grabbing some late night snacks.

Convenient stay for Dulles
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Two light bulbs were burnt out in the room (one next to the bed (missing) and one over the desk (kind of dangling). The air conditioning, while appreciated, was very noisy and made sleeping difficult.

The bed was nice, the staff very helpful and pleasant. The shuttle was important and the driver was nice.

Expectations Unfulfilled.

Bad food; small rooms with no closets; poor housekeeping (room was not cleaned after two requests); poor security (outside doors remained unlocked overnight even though there were key pads at each door); trash and cigarette butts all over the front entrance.

comfort and convenience near Dulles Airport

loud bathroom fan, terrible coffee at breakfast bar ,very weak

terrific beds, great linens; helpful friendly staff who gave me a toothbrush and arranged for shuttle to airport. The airport shuttle is why I chose this facility; the breakfast was a great perk.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Clean comfortable and near the Airport
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The only thing that would have nice would have been a menu on the TV to make finding channels easier, I know it's only a little thing .

Ease of check in , very friendly staff, good value for money

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

I was double charged on 2 different credit cards, it is still not solved, hope they can fix it fast.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The customer service didn't care about my concerns about being double charged. They push the problem to the manager, but the manager is not easy to contact with, and I am leaving tomorrow with my worry on road!

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Worst experience ever did not enjoy my stay at all

Poor customer service no hot water in the shower dirty stairway disgusting breakfast coffee tasted like water housekeepers open the door on me this is my first time ever seen that I will not nor recommend anyone to that hotel I had a very bad experience did not enjoy my stay at all.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Pleasant and relaxing
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hallways could have been cleaner. Looked like it had been a while since they were vacuumedp

Staff was friendly and efficient Breakfast was good Room and bed were comfortable Close to the airport

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

A nice place to stay.

The room was a little tight, and the omplimentary breakfast was almost cleaned out... staff could have kept it stocked better....

The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. Workers were courteous and helpful.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

A very pleasant start to my holiday.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was surprised at the location -- I expected a plaza (the address) to have shops and maybe restaurants nearby. But I think I needed sleep more than food there!

I enjoyed the peace and quiet, and everything was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Great deal for the money!

The hallway and lobby could be up dated and carpet cleaner

The staff were very friendly and and accommodating. They also, offered at complimentary buffet for dinner on Tuesdays to their guests.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Charged twice
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Room was a little dark and carpet needed replacing. I paid with cash however upon checking my account found they had debited my bank despite being assured they would not. When I called was informed by the desk that it was recorded as visa. I had a receipt which clearly stated CASH. Now in the hands of booking.com. BEWARE

The breakfast was great and plentiful. The guy on the desk allowed me to check in early which was great. Friendly atmosphere and staff.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

The hotel was close to the airport, and the shuttle was very...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was smaller than expected, there was no refrigerator in the room, and the air conditioner was difficult to get to a comfortable temperature.

The hotel was close to the airport, and the shuttle was very convenient.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Lady at the front desk was very nice.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was a little pricy in my opinion, but that's to be expected considering the location.

Lady at the front desk was very nice. I was able to check in early. There was a Burger King and a gas station fairly close by.

Will not come back because of treatment upon checkin

No refrigerator or microwave and was refused checkin until exactly 3 pm while others were allowed to check in right in front of us

Food was good

cool hotel near the airport

cool hotel near the airport

Small room, limited room to move around in.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Small room, limited room to move around in. Small pillows on the bed. Not enough parking spaces in parking lot.

Satisfactory
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

A/C was next to the bed (2’) and froze us out!

Location to the airport

Okay but not good for my child
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Didn't accommodate my infant child

They didn't accommodate my infant child weather seat

It worked as one night stopover but was nothing special

Old and tired hotel. Carpet dirty. Breakfast not very special. Gym not realy á gym. Bed old

Good for a night

Close to the airport

Ok hotel but air conditioning units need replacement/maintenance

Air conditioning - although it worked, it would turn off by itself

Location was excellent

Good for a very short stay.

Public spaces looked dirty and shabby.

We left for airport before bkfst.

Desk not helpful

AC so loud it woke me up every time it turned on..

Not good.

Hotel was very dirty and smokey. The stench was very strong.

Close to the airport and there was a gas station that opens...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Close to the airport and there was a gas station that opens 24/7 and the resturant there was really good

s.The hotel has nothing at all in safe walking distance if you don't have a car. Sheetz beside it

5 minutes from IAD airport by courtesy shuttle

Ok for the price

The room smelled

The staff was very nice

Excellent breakfast
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was very small space for my luggage

Excellent breakfast

Perfect for an overlay stay.

Breakfast somewhat limited.

Comfortable rooms, quick and friendly checkin, good shuttle service.

better than expected
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

upgrade worked well,breakfast good,overall building a little tired,probably due a facelift,but excellent value and ideally situated for us

Close to the airport and shuttle

Close to the airport and shuttle

No coffee in the breakfast machine out off order also waffle...
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No coffee in the breakfast machine out off order also waffle maker is broken too

Very pleasant
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bed mattress not too comfy.

All good. Breakfast very nice and hostess very pleasant.