Reviews of Radisson Hotel Madison 3 stars

517 Grand Canyon Drive, Madison, WI 53719, USA

#35 of 55 hotels in Madison

disappointing and unreliable shuttle service

We ordered a shuttle pick-up two days before one of our consultants arrived at the airport around 5:30 pm on a Saturday. The shuttle never showed up and then when we called the hotel, they said they'd send a taxi. The taxi never showed up. Additionally our consultant was told the room was not covered even though our company purchased the room through booking.com. But then someone else behind the desk corrected the other staff and stated it was covered. However, upon checkout, the staff at the desk informed our consultant that they were charging their card for the stay as it was not covered. It was indeed covered.

The woman we spoke to two days before our consultant's arrival was quite pleasant and professional.

Staff was friendly and accommodating.

1st floor public bathrooms didn't have any soap in dispensers for our business meeting. Staff helped fix it. Room locks didn't work consistently.

Staff was friendly and accommodating.

A good place for families with young kids.

We wanted to use the pool but it was always occupied by families with noisy little kids so we opted out. We also noticed the lobby seemed to be filled with what looked like homeless or welfare people Saturday morning when we went down for the breakfast at about 9:30. The decor looked like the ‘70’s or ‘80’s but at least it was clean. Id probably pay a little extra and stay at a more upscale place next time. It seems like a popular weekend destination for local families with kids to come and swim and have free breakfast.

Nice place, but broken curtains and uncaring management.

Bed wasn’t too comfortable on one side (caused neck and back pain), one of the rooms we booked had a broken curtain that fell on my co-worker hitting him in the head and bruising/scratching his hand. Management’s response was apathetic and dismissive of it.

Breakfast was good. The stay was nice. It was a very safe place and the rooms were nice.

Great breakfast buffet included in the price of the room;

The climate control in the room was substandard. The heating/air-conditioning unit was erratic. Changing the thermostat by as little as one degree would cause significant, unpleasant heating or cooling throughout the night.

Great breakfast buffet included in the price of the room; free parking; good location for our purposes.

2nd time here, the bad wasn't enough to outweigh the good, it meets expectations.

We had a lamp that was out during our stay and the refrigerator wasn't working during our stay. Also, must have been some sort of issue w/the smoke alarms, because the fire alarm went off SEVEN times on Saturday evening...including several times after 11PM.

Bar/Restaurant area very accommodating. Good selection for the breakfast and the bar staff in the evening was very personable and friendly. Rooms very accommodating and beds very comfortable, good night sleep had both nights.

Sleep number beds are great!
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

They didn't pick up the towels left on the floor or give me clean glasses or make the bed after the first day. I understand being green, I did not expect my sheets to be washed, but they could have made the bed and taken the towels on the floor.

Sleep number beds are great!

Smiley emoji!
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Exterior auxiliary entry door identifier lettering was not prominent and difficult to see at night.

Fine included breakfast in a comfortable setting.

Fees fees and more fees to the stated room price, increasing it by 25%!
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I got locked out when I tried to park near my room and use the auxillary entrance. The employees stared at me through the glass as I held up my valid room key. I trekked back to the main lobby and was told, 'they are not allowed to let you in, let me fix your key.' ugh.

There were tempur pedic beds last year when I stayed. No more. The hotel is not great but I thought I was getting a good night's rest with the tempur pedic. The rooms are more like dorm rooms. No sink in the bathroom; it is right when you walk n the door. I asked Specifically not to be put too far away from the main lobby so.... they assured me I was not and voila, I was Really far from the lobby. They had full continental breakfast this stay, not my thing but it looked nice. I stayed here twice as my son is a student at UW but I won't stay here again as they took away the only thing I thought was worth the stay, a really good bed.

Raddison in Madison!
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Came for the Crossfit Games, only one piece of equipment worked and ran out of towels in the fitness facility.

Breakfast options were awesome and of good quality, beds were firm if that's your preference, bar has good food and strong drinks, shuttle available to take us to and from the Energy Center, staff were awesome!

Wonderful hotel - I highly recommend it.

Can't think of anything. We are a repeat customer!

Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast is wonderful. What I REALLY love is the pool. We swam every day!

Hotel key card system was finnicky and didn't work...
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Hotel key card system was finnicky and didn't work reliably. Otherwise, this is a nice enough hotel with a pool and hot tub that are good. Not too expensive.

Met our needs and expectations.

The eggs at the continental breakfast were slightly soggy/watery.

The bed was very comfortable. The staff was very friendly even with our very late check in time.

When i checked in i told ms abgil not to charge my credit...

When i checked in i told ms abgil not to charge my credit card but she did anyway after i told her il would pay cash..on top of that i was there for two nights they didnt clean my room i will never stay there again.after they didnt clean the room 146 we went to desk to ask could they clean the room around 5pm they said it would happen....we return from dinner the room was not cleaned my Wife was upset....i want ever stay at Radisson in Madison.Wisconsin....i was let down by that staff

Overall this was a great stay for the price.
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The double beds seemed smaller than double/full size. Too much chlorine in the pool or else needs better ventilation.

The complimentary breakfast at The Twist was the best!! Family friendly.

It was ok.

It was ok., but the toilet definitely had issues, which made it not so great. The bed was really soft and we weren't use to this. Breakfast was ok. Room was located by the exit and kept hearing the door slam shut every time some went outside. Room above us must have had a jungle gym in it because we thought someone fell out of bed. Not sure it was worth the price we paid. Seemed high with all the issues. Did report the toilet issue when we got checked in, thought maybe they would move us to a different room, no such luck, was told they couldn't find the maintenance man so we just made it work. Hot tub not the greatest. Just an ok stay.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Breakfast was wonderful.
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

wish there would have been a separate section for families with young children. trying to relax while children are crying, screaming and running the hallways doesn't work.

Breakfast was wonderful. Staff were very friendly.

GREAT
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

one window with a view of a block wall. it was more than made up for by all other features of this property. we would stay there again

Nice breakfast buffet. Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful

Breakfast buffet was great -- real plates & silverware.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Breakfast buffet was great -- real plates & silverware. People were very friendly. Room was attractive & large enough. Sink location was great. Bathroom was small & we thought the mattress was odd -- like sleeping on a double air mattress. Pillows were great though.

The girl at the desk gave me a key for an already occupied...
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The girl at the desk gave me a key for an already occupied room upon check in. I was so embarrassed when I opened the room door to find someone else's stuff all over. They put us in a room right in the middle of a high school wrestling outing. I have 2 kids. One is a 5 month old baby. They were noisy, obnoxious and rude. The chaperones didn't watch them. They had girls going in and out of their rooms till after midnight. Called the front desk who did nothing. My husband had to go out in the hall and tell them to be quiet. Which one kid flipped him off.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Okay

The fact is we wanted to pay cash for our room, which we were told no problem, but then when we received the bill under the door, it was charge on our card. It just to us sounds no one wants to deal with real money

Everything was good, beds were comfortable and the breakfast was very good. Like have oatmeal from scratch instead of instant

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

A disastrous stay that ended in a free room.

1. Our room key did not work to get in the outside door closest to our room. 2. Then the room key didn't work to get into our room. Walked what seemed to be 1/4 mile to get to the desk to get new keys. 3. We had no heat and could not get heat. The front desk had to bring a portable heater to the room.

They ended up giving us the room free. The breakfast was very tasty.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

the staff members were very friendly.

the cleaning products and the air freshener used smelled too strong and chemical.

the staff members were very friendly. if you plan to do some shopping in the nearby mall the hotel has a ideal location. if you want to spend time downtown or go out its a bit too far away.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

We loved our stay and will be back!
    • Room with Two Double Beds

It would've been nice if the restaurant stayed open as well, or offered a limited menu. However, the bartender provided information of the open restaurants near by.

Loved the warm welcome and coffee (trick or treat candies too!) in the living room feel of the lobby. Especially enjoyed the "free" shuttle to Camp Randall Stadium--safe, super efficient and well coordinated. Appreciated the bar staying open late to accommodate fans returning from a night game that went into overtime. Breakfast buffet options provided a little something for everyone. Jason and his entire staff were very gracious, & welcoming.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

I would stay there again.
    • Guest Room

I would have liked a microwave. I tend to let my coffee cool and like to heat it up.

The room was very comfortable. I'd never slept on a sleep number bed before and I loved it.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

I would stay here again!

The girl at the front desk was excellent at checking us in even though her computer was giving her problems. She never acted frustrated and was very kind and apologetic!

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Clean, good sized room and very nice staff
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Adjoining room, I would have liked to been asked if this was ok. A lot of noise at night, comfy bed , maybe our room was not in a great spot.

Clean, good sized room and very nice staff

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

good breakfast selection
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

room was right next to an outside door so we could hear everyone coming and going all night long; the door was open when we first got to our room

good breakfast selection comfy bed liked the shampoo/conditioner provided

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Good location. Don't expect to use the pool or hot tub.
    • Room with Two Double Beds

The pool/hot tub area was disgusting. The hot tub was closed. The pool had hair and slime floating on top of the water.

Convenient for the soccer tournament we were travelling to in Oregon, WI. Easy check-in process. The rooms and hallways have been updated.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Room was very nice

The hot tub was broken and that was part of what we were looking for. The breakfast was not very good. He eggs were very funny, sausage was cold.

Room was very nice

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

Decent value but improvement needed.

Facilities are okay, but I select this hotel because it claims to be full service, but this trip the bar/restaurant was closed on Sunday and last year it was closed all three nights of our stay. My wife then decided to swim some laps in the pool but the door would not open and the desk attendant was unable to help. For the second year in a row we returned after being out from the morning until about 9 pm to find that housekeeping had not cleaned the room (in both cases they were able to have someone take care of it when we reported it).

Paul at the bar is great.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

I'd stay again if in the area!

We looked forward in taking a dip in the pool and Jacuzzi.... but the chlorine was soooo strong we only stayed for like 20 minutes at max. I could bare breath and our eyes stung pretty bad.

I loved the cleanliness. I loved the room and the comfort! The breakfast selection was amazing, and it was included!

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Good room for the price.

Toilet in the room didn't flush well. Pool room was almost unbearably hot. Just about killed myself on the slippery tile outside the pool area.

Comfortable Sleep Number bed. Warm pool and hot tub.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Great City Great Location
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The mini- refrigerator was not turned on. Staff responded quickly to set the frig. but the temperature never got very cold.

Room was clean and beds were comfortable

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

Overall, very nice for the money.

I did not care for the shower, the head was way to high to enjoy or make it relaxing

Overall, very nice for the money. Brkfst a plus Would definitely stay again

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Could of been better, but made the best of it.

We stayed on a very busy Saturday night. They closed the pool for cleaning. Why would you do this on a weekend. A big part of going to a hotel is the pool and hot tub. Also our room was clean but seemed like they had just cleaned the carpets everything was damp until morning. Very disappointed!

The staff was nice, but didn't seem like enough. Only 1 server in the restaurant was not enough. The beds we also comfortable.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Great hotel, great value.

Don't like those little square pillows. Wish the pool was not being cleaned when I was there.

I loved the sleep number bed and the long pillows. Loved the room and vanity area. Twist was good food too. Breakfast incredible. I'll be back.

Overall good

Wish hotels would start hanging the flat screen tvs to give a little more space to set things on.

Breakfast was fantastic! Hotel was very clean.

Ms Prissy

The carpet could have been cleaner.

The bedding was very clean, I really never seen better and I also liked the entire decor and pillar type.

The Radisson was Rad

Refrigerator not cold enough

Buffet was great. Nice selection. Comfy rooms

Comfortable room. Clean.

Included breakfast was a plus!

Fair but not worth the $.

Too pricey compared to other places.

Breakfast was good.
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We were put at the farthest away room possible. possibly in the pets allowed hallway if there is one - it smelled like it.

Breakfast was good.

Staff not to friendly !

Coffee was cold ! No more free breakfast !

It was fine but wouldn’t recommend or go back

Wasn’t super clean, remote for tv didn’t work

Location, cleanliness

Location, cleanliness

very dissappointing for a Radisson property
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

average breakfeast; room requested was not offerred due to remodeling; rooms were paperthin and was very noisy with hallway talk and noise

nice bed

I like the on site restaurant, which was great after a long...

I like the on site restaurant, which was great after a long day of driving.

Great location, pretty, updated room

Parking was sparse

Great location, pretty, updated room

Much needed rest

Na

The pool area and resturant..comfortable and clean

We’ll be back!

Everything was great. We had a very restful stay and loved the buffet breakfast

A very comfortable and pleasant hotel
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Fine breakfast selection and all you can eat

Nice stay

Comfortable bed

Friendly staff

Pleasant

Aircon did not work properly.

Friendly restaurant staff. free airport shuttle.

Convenient for the day

I only had a few hours at the hotel and didn't get to eat breakfast.

It was convenient because I was leaving from the hotel.

Beds were excellent
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was a hole in the wall

Beds were excellent

Good breakfast and good location

Good breakfast and good location

expensive is not better
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We didn't choose this place sooner.

Great price and clean beds. Better than the $200 room we had in the city.

Very enjoyable
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Lots of walking to room.

Good breakfast!

Staff that I interacted with were super friendly and helpful.

The view from our room.

Staff that I interacted with were super friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable.

Kind of in the middle of everything in town, so it worked out real good
    • Room with Two Double Beds

There was a LaCrosse tournament the weekend we were there, but the noise wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

The bed was very comfy

Ice machine was just outside our room, so everyone filling...

Ice machine was just outside our room, so everyone filling metal buckets got noisy.

A few days in Madison
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The breakfast buffet was just okay.

The staff was extremely friendly

Staff was nice
    • Room with Two Double Beds

The food was horrible at the restaurant and for breakfast and highly overpriced.

Staff was nice

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Great breakfast buffet.
    • Room with Two Double Beds

The sleep number bed was awful!

Great breakfast buffet. Location was great.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Friendly crew

Not very clean. Toilet in room... Coffee cup with lipstick Has seen better days Breakfast not worth the walk

Friendly crew

The staff was helpful and friendly
    • Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel has a somewhat strange layout. It is a fairly long walk from the far end of the hotel to the lobby.

The staff was helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

coffee served in lobby was not hot and flavor was not to our...

coffee served in lobby was not hot and flavor was not to our liking - too weak. Scrambled eggs were watery - not very appealing.

Very quiet and love the sleep number bed!
    • King Room - Disability Access

Bed

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Great value for the price!

Very comfortable mattress and pillows Good selection for breakfast Dinner available in on-premises restaurant

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Great bar staff

Liked everything

Bar staff all fantastic!

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

A nice Cosy convenient and staff friendly hotel with all needed basics and nice location
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Nothing to complain about really

The ambiance, service & location

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Comfortable but not convenient
    • Room with Two Double Beds

No hair dryer, location was not super convenient.

Sleep number bed was amazing! And breakfast and service in the restaurant was very good.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Quick fall color getaway
    • Guest Room

Clean room and bath- lots of towels! Downtown and university easily accessible - Fresh fruit a bonus at breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

tub and bethroom drains were slow