Reviews of Red Roof Inn Champaign - University 2 stars

212 West Anthony Drive, Champaign, IL 61820, USA

#21 of 33 hotels in Champaign

5.6

I would never stay there again.

Rat trap outside of the door, mouse droppings in the bathroom, hole chewed in the wall and stuffed with steel wool, spiderwebs throughout the ceiling.

There was a good selection of restaurants nearby.

Fine. Slept good. Had a coffee to go.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Thin WALLS. Felt like extended stay from that respect.

Price. HYATT Pissed me off and wanted to charge $139 plus tax. I think Red Roof was around $50 and was nice enough to get the job done. The “FREE” breakfast is nothing compared to HYATT. But if you offered the same quality or better FREE breakfast that HYATT offered and raised room rates to cover it. Maybe $10/ night. If you advertised that hard, I think you would kick ASS. Little gimmicks go along ways and Red Roof is clean enough right now to get the job done.

Bed was comfortable, location was excellent, great place to...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Location needs to be updated. Definitely not a 4 star place but good price if your just stopping for the night. Bathroom was extra small.

Bed was comfortable, location was excellent, great place to stay if your just passing through

Get what you pay for.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

When checking in, they have you sign a waiver. We had a non smoking room. So if we smoked in it we would be charged $700. We walked into our room. It reaked of smoke. I called the desk, they promptly came and put an air freshener in the air conditioner. The bathroom was microscopic. The sink was clogged and ran slow. There weren't any brochures for local restaurants. Everything was bare minimum. I guess you get what you pay for here.

The staff was friendly, helpful and quick to address any concerns. Location was great.

Pleasant after getting into my room
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Couldn’t find tv remote the room they put me in at first had someone’s things in it and then the next room the card wouldn’t work so had to go to the desk twice

How close it was to stores and restaurants and tia was a big help she was very polite and pleasant

Great location and clean.

No coffee in room.

Great location and clean.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

The cleanliness

Only good thing is the beds were clean.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Tv wouldn't work. They said twice they were coming to look at it but never showed up.

Only good thing is the beds were clean.

Good value. Book if you're not picky
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The checkin was extremely slow. I had mystery stains all over my bed

The room was clean

Smelled bad.

Smelled bad.

• Reviewed: 2 May 2016

Good value for the money.

If we've told you three people will be staying in the room, maybe you'll want to give me 3 complimentary bottles of water instead of 2. I didn't ask for a 3rd but I shouldn't have had to.

Good value for the money.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

Everything staff and location were all great.

I did not have any dislikes with this hotel

Everything staff and location were all great. I needed a clean comfortable place to stay for one night and this hotel fit the bill just fine.

• Reviewed: 24 April 2016

Red Roof was fine great location for classes taken over the...

The hinges on the room next door needed oil, it squeaked anytime the occupant entered or exited the room.

Red Roof was fine great location for classes taken over the weekend at the college.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2016

Close proximity to destination.

Linens very wrinkled, like they had been used. Pillow was crunchy. Towels were thread bare. Toilet didn't flush properly. Had to ask for a hairdryer and had to share it with another guest. Received a call from the front desk at 9 am asking if I would drop it off to the room next to mine.

Close proximity to destination.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2016

Put hair dryers in rooms - instead of having to walk to...

Put hair dryers in rooms - instead of having to walk to lobby to get one. Wash the Windows!! The heat is either blasting hot or too cold. Pick up trash around the grounds b

Staff was very helpful!

While the hotel is smoke free, the ground was heavily littered with cigarette butts. I'm sure clean up was on the short to-do list of the maintenance staff.

Staff was very helpful! Location was excellent for my purpose for being in town. I appreciated that the entire hotel is 'smoke free" Excellent value !

• Reviewed: 4 April 2016

Newly remodeled, clean and comfortable.

They did such a good job remodeling, but left the old toilet.....would HIGHLY recommend that they go the extra mile and replace....it would have been a 10 if they had done this.

Newly remodeled, clean and comfortable. Near highway and several restaurants

• Reviewed: 21 March 2016

The bed was clean but it the place needed a good cleaning...

I was told there was a pull out coach. None of the rooms have a couch. Had to buy a blow up mattress for our son.

The bed was clean but it the place needed a good cleaning in the rooms and especially outside!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2016

Simple room met our needs while traveling through the area.

I know only deluxe rooms have hair dryers, but that still bugs me. Forgot mine and had to go buy one.

Simple room met our needs while traveling through the area.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

It was clean, staff was courteous, and the location was...

The check in process was awful. Since I booked through booking.com the local staff said they had to run my credit card 4 times for 4 rooms I booked under my card. Very inconvenient and time intensive.

It was clean, staff was courteous, and the location was convenient.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2016

Front desk guy(alejandro) was very accomodating.

Cleanliness was lacking. Beds not too comfortable.

Front desk guy(alejandro) was very accomodating. When we needed something he was there to make sure we got what we needed when we needed it.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2016

Great price!

Although it was nice to have a king sized bed, it was too big for the room which made it very hard to move around.

Great price!! The bed was very comfy and all staff were very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2016

In a great location and easy to locate - quick check-in and...

The room didn't have a lot or wiggle room - kind of tight quarters between furniture - but still good room for the money - faucet on the basin was really shaky - but worked!

In a great location and easy to locate - quick check-in and received the exact room we requested!

• Reviewed: 27 January 2016

Large bed.

Stains in the shower. Broken faucet. Broken microwave. Dirty floor. Even though heater was on cold air was being blown into the room.

Large bed. Large room. Desk. Price price price

• Reviewed: 4 January 2016

The front desk clerk was very nice.

There was no breakfast, traveling with children this is a must.. Beds were very small and uncomfortable. No in room coffee pot or hair dryer.. We survived, these amenities should've been available.

The front desk clerk was very nice.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2015

Really spacious rooms!

Really it was great. My only issue was I had called ahead a time about keeping the dogs in the room, and they did not tell me they needed to be crated. But they staff was really accommodating of the situation.

Really spacious rooms! Dogs loved all the grass outside! Nicely remodeled too!

• Reviewed: 27 November 2015

Tv

Toilet ran on and off all night. No coffee pot, poor remodeling job, and purse size pack of tissues. Paid for three, setup only for two. Overall a bad experience. Will not stay again.

Tv

• Reviewed: 11 November 2015

The staff were really helpful and friendly, great service.

My only bad comment is that the remodeling is very haphazard. My room was nice, but the shower tiles were cracked and moldy at the corners. The fresh paint could not hide the smell that the room had previously been a smokers paradise. My luggage smelled and I had to wash all of my clothes.

The staff were really helpful and friendly, great service. Very clean place and convenient to the highway. I rate this place very high in almost every category, and I really enjoyed everyone there.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

The room was clean and ready when we got there.

It was kinda hard to find it but once we figured out the way to get to the hotel everything was alright.

The room was clean and ready when we got there. Didn't have to wait a long time to get my keys and go to the room and the staff was really nice too.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2015

Its very clean.

That there is no free breakfast. It is a little loud if in building by interstate.

Its very clean. The staff are very friendly and well known of their job .

• Reviewed: 8 September 2015

Clean comfortable room.

no breakfast (as of yet, according to the girl behind the counter)

Clean comfortable room. Booked with booking.com in the afternoon, and our room was ready when we got there.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2015

Much cleaner and cozier than I was expecting for the price,...

Much cleaner and cozier than I was expecting for the price, I was pleasantly surprised! The staff was friendly and helpful, and the free coffee was an added bonus.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2015

Staff was very nice, room was really in great shape, nice...

Staff was very nice, room was really in great shape, nice floor, good shower, bed was not as comfortable as I'd like, but it was quiet and very accommodating for my dog as well. We had a great experience here.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2015

Staff was friendly, facility was clean.

No coffee in room, no tag to hang on door to tell housekeeping no services needed so they banged on door (interrupted my rest) & started to enter (didn't understand English so didn't understand my hollering no thank you.

Staff was friendly, facility was clean.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2015

Interior room looked like picture and lived up to...

Nothing actually bad. Exterior still needs a bit of sprucing up as the first impression leaves one wondering. Glad to see a grounds crew already at work on the exterior landscaping when I checked out.

Interior room looked like picture and lived up to expectations. Property was advertised as recently renovated and everything in the room interior definitely reflected the newness - bed, floors, bath and vanity area, electrical outlets, etc. For a 10 hr stay, definitely met my needs. Despite closeness to highway, outside noise was well muffled and I was not disturbed.

• Reviewed: 21 May 2015

Very convenient location and a comfortable setting.

Too many handi-capped parking spots. Not sure why they'd even be needed except for by the from desk.

Very convenient location and a comfortable setting.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2015

Very convenient to the Interstate and restaurants.

We were assigned to a room that smelled really bad. I went up to the office and told the young lady and she was very courteous in reassigning us with a different room. Other then the bad room, we got a great room!

Very convenient to the Interstate and restaurants. The room was clean and the beds were very firm. Love Red Roof Inns!

• Reviewed: 28 April 2015

the bed was very comfortable!

the bed was very comfortable! I normally do not do well sleeping in hotel rooms but our bed here was excellent consider i am use to a memory foam mattress. i will be staying here again and highly recommend it, the staff was very friendly and made our stay excellent!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2015

The room was beautiful-- like a high-end hotel now.

The room was beautiful-- like a high-end hotel now. I've always loved, trusted, stayed at Red Roof Inns, but this hotel's upgrades are amazing.

• Reviewed: 18 April 2015

Got fooled by website that said only one room left, so booked at higher rate. On night of stay several rooms available on website at much cheaper rate but staff refused to allow us to change room and held us to price of earlier reservation since we hadn't cancelled earlier. Paying anything more than $50 a night is a rip off!

• Reviewed: 24 March 2015

This place is recently remodeled.

It can be loud because of the Interstate, but not all that bad.

This place is recently remodeled. It was very comfortable and clean. I liked the ability to park near the door.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2015

It's convinent for attending events at the University of...

I couldn't get wifi in my room and the bathroom was really small. The renovated rooms looks real nice.

It's convinent for attending events at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana which was a 15 minute drive. Plenty of places to eat and right off of I-74

• Reviewed: 1 March 2015

The room appeared to have been recently remodelled, and was...

Except for the vanity lights, the lamps in the room had fluorescent bulbs. It wasn't a big deal, but softer, warmer lights would have improved the room's overall ambiance.

The room appeared to have been recently remodelled, and was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and the hotel was conveniently located to downtown Champaign.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2015

Have stayed here more than once.

Still under renovation. But we'll worth the inconvenience will be great when finished

Have stayed here more than once. Friendly staff clean and comfortable facility good location

• Reviewed: 12 February 2015

The room was comfortable and clean.

The person who checked me in the first night got very defensive when I asked her if it was common for people to spend a few months in one of their rooms. (Yes, it's common.) Also, the hotel is in a valley so it can be dangerous in the winter. All the water collects in the parking lot and freezes so it's very hard to get around in bad weather.

The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel was very cheap and the bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2016

Clean and comfortable rooms and polite staff.

Clean and comfortable rooms and polite staff.

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

The employees were very friendly!

That they tripled the price of the rooms because of graduation. ...

The employees were very friendly!!!!!!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2016

Clean rooms

House keeping

Clean rooms

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

Room smelled like smoke.

Room smelled like smoke. Bed sagged. Door safety-latch broken. No coffee maker in room. Refrigerator and microwave on same extension cord.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

The beds could be softer but the rooms were great for the...

The beds could be softer but the rooms were great for the price!

• Reviewed: 2 May 2016

Staff was friendly.

Bed wasn't comfortable, smelled, and just very loud with being on the ground floor and people above moving around.

Staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 1 May 2016

Front staff not friendly, ice machine did not work, toilet...

Above

Front staff not friendly, ice machine did not work, toilet did not flush very well.

• Reviewed: 1 May 2016

Very friendly staff, good location.

Small rooms, but clean and comfortable.

Very friendly staff, good location.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2016

Friendliest staff I encountered in a while.

Friendliest staff I encountered in a while.

Entry from parking lot.

I could hear traffic from express way.

Entry from parking lot...drive up to room.

Rooms looked like they were updated

I didn't like the rooms right outside ...I like my room indoors of a building ...

Rooms looked like they were updated

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

Friendly staff

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

staff was nice.

staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

Its too noicy due to highway traffic.

Its too noicy due to highway traffic.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

noisy and smelled

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

The room is nice and comfortable for the value I would...

A little bit better cleaning would have been great

The room is nice and comfortable for the value I would definitely stay here again

• Reviewed: 3 March 2016

Dirty!

Dirty! Cigarette holes in the the blankets and sheets, stains and gunk on the pillow cases stained washcloths and towels..

• Reviewed: 26 February 2016

Location was good

Bathroom floor was very dirty. Informed the desk clerk when we left.

Location was good

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

I had the feeling that the linens were not clean, stains and...

I had the feeling that the linens were not clean, stains and totally crumbled up and just straitened out, or they need better laundry!

• Reviewed: 27 January 2016

Simple

Not much. Could have extra toilet paper.

Simple

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

No pool :(

No pool :(

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

Value for the money

Could have been a little cleaner

Value for the money

• Reviewed: 17 January 2016

Renewed hotel and it has nice, cheap, and comfortable rooms...

It's little far from center city.

Renewed hotel and it has nice, cheap, and comfortable rooms to stay in a short term period.

• Reviewed: 2 January 2016

The staff and location and price.

The staff and location and price. What little inconvenience I did experience, was quickly solved with the rest of the stay was awesome

• Reviewed: 28 December 2015

The room was in great shape and the beds are vary...

The room was in great shape and the beds are vary comfortable. Every item was in top shape.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2015

Room was great!

Staff didn't greet me! Elevator seemed dirty

Room was great! Very comfortable!

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Really comfortable room, all-set appliance and great...

Really comfortable room, all-set appliance and great internet support.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2015

First room had lots of water across bathroom floor from...

First room had lots of water across bathroom floor from plumbing leak so switched rooms.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

Sheets were not clean and way overpriced.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2015

Cost and friendly staff

Cleanliness of the room

Cost and friendly staff

There are also 8 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.