Reviews of Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans 4 stars

300 Bourbon Street, French Quarter (Vieux Carré), New Orleans, LA 70130, USA

#25 of 148 hotels in New Orleans

• Deluxe King

Wifi and the fact that I asked and paid for a room with a balcony and didn't get it until the next day after 12.

Everything and everyone was very nice.I enjoyed stepping out into party life on Bourbon and escaping to relax by the pool in the inner oasisof the Sonesta.

• Deluxe Queen

Great location! Part of the all the downtown excitement but off to the side so was able to walk away from craziness if needed to. Front desk was so helpful. Autumn was amazing!!!

• Deluxe King

Requested balcony, didn't get it. Rooms too small. Rooms not the cleanest my sheets were dirty upon arrival.

The pool are was nice. Desire food and prices are great. Lobby and jazz is nice.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Don’t make your booking with Bookings.com as the hotel affords their guests the worst rooms available. The hotel then try’s to get you to rebook directly with the hotel so I presume to avoid paying commission. We were given a horrible filthy room across from a nite club that stopped at 6 am in the morning. Hotel then changed us to another room ehich looked directly over a service area. Staff were horrible

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Mexicans working on a lot of rooms fighting cussing out loud about cutting one of them to the other. Staff stucknup rude no smiles not friendly. Charged the wrong card. I ask them 3 times had they corrected it. They rudely said yes. Had to call back two days after I left because they did not do as they said. Jose was very rude and the three people I talked to on the phone did not seem to care. Rooms are small and not at all worth the money. Go down the street to the Sheraton where my friend stayed. It was twice less the money and nicer.

• Deluxe Queen

I like the upgrades/improvements to the hotel rooms. Our room was on the third floor and allowed us to walk straight to the pool. It was very quite, yet all of the energy and noise of the French Quarter was only a few steps away.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Aging property in a location on Bourbon Street which is very loud. The stench of Bourbon Street waifs into the room and certainly couldn’t enjoy the balcony. Price for room not worth it.

Staff was amazing, eggs Benedict at Desire were awesome though very pricey, PJ’s Coffee in the lobby.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

They did not reserve a balcony room like I requested 2 1/2 months in advanced. So I was shocked when I got there and found out they planned on putting us in an interior room, for the same crazy high price as a balcony. After complaining a balcony room magically became available. Sadly it was located right above where a trash truck is kept, so the smell was beyond horrible. The balcony door didn't shut all the way, so when it rained the floor was soaking wet. We tried getting a hold of managment, they were always "out to lunch" and I never received a call back when I requested it. Also to park your car the price is over $40 per night. That's a little steep when already paying $1351 for 3 nights. Not worth the big price and would not stay here again

That it was located on Bourbon street

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

We usually stay at Xmas and it's quite on a balcony room. Not so much in the summer time but that's understandable. That's all

The staff is always awesome every time we visit. The room are very roomy for a couple.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

broken features in bathroom, tub didnt drain properly. disappointed that the room I view on the photo in reserving was not what I received. felt I was misled on the room for the rate.

Staff wereamazing. the Jazz Club was awesome

• Deluxe Queen

No one answered my phone calls for 20 mins to valet and front desk to request my car for checkout. Other than that, excellent vacation stay and I'd gladly return.

Great location. Good restaurants.

• Deluxe Queen

The registration desk was poorly handled. There was an negative attitude by the staff. All other staff members were gracious.

Room was fine and i used the fitness center quite heavily. Very good location

• Concierge Two Queen Bed Room

I was awakened 2out of 5 mornings to the nauseating smell of cigarette smoke! BLECCHH!!! Better monitoring/ventilation is necessary.

Staff very accomodating 7th Floor amenities could be better quality

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

First time to NOLA.....didn't realize the activity on Bourbon St. went until the wee hours. Next time would not get a room overlooking the street.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

If you don't like noise do not stay in an "outside" room. We had to relocate after the first night to an interior room because the music and street noise was unbearable.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable...Staff was exceptional!

• Concierge Two Queen Bed Room

I really couldn’t find anything wrong with the property whatsoever I did have a problem with the rate for one night over $800 yikes and it wasn’t even the room that I had booked the front desk reception only took $100 off that’s a crazy price for one night

Location location location fabulous location and the new renovation epic

• Deluxe Queen

Had a minor house-keeping complaint. It could have been avoided but the hotel more than made up for the simple mistake.

The sound of jazz floating through the courtyard on a sunny day was incredible.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Only complaint was garbage pick up outside was loud, but that’s nothing the hotel can control.

Everyone was friendly and accommodating. Decor was beautiful. Jazz play house had fantastic music. Location was perfect.

• Deluxe Queen

Check in coordination, no room until 1600, and as soon as, we checked our bags in with the valet, it was ready (so we could have sat and waited)

Loved the bed, and even though we were on a popular street, the noise was not an issue and I enjoyed hearing the music when I woke up (Legends Park across the street) Very convenient for getting to the venues during the French Quarter Festival

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

The check in was 2 hours late, I booked a room with balcony to bourbon street and side view, got a side view balcony. My rooms shower had poop smeared on the walls. I could hear everyone talking on the halls, the walls were paper thin.

• Interior Balcony King

Noisy from next room or hallway. I can hear bathroom flush and using shower from next room. The room fan was on all night long. Very noisy. I asked front dest to turned off next day.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

The room was a little over priced due to a wrestling tournament.

Staff was exceptional. Especially Gi Gi from in room dining she went above and beyond .

• Deluxe Queen

Location on Bourbon St was very noisy Housekeeping service was poor they didn’t restock coffee/tea, and the floors were not vacuumed.

The hotel and rooms were lovely. The staff were very helpful and responsive.

• Concierge Two Queen Bed Room

Pillows are uncomfortable, beds are noisy. The staff is extremely variable: some (e.g. bellhops) very outgoing and friendly, others (e.g. front-desk staff) robotic and unhelpful. Breakfast (at either Desire or PJ's) is meh.

The location is great - right on Bourbon Street in the heart of the French Quarter. Nice swimming pool, rooms are clean and good-sized.

• Deluxe Queen

The staff was not unfriendly, but didn't go out of their way to be hosts either.

Bed was very comfortable, facility was clean and service was prompt. The location is obviously ideal for New Orleans.

• Interior Balcony Two Queen Beds

The pool was too warm to swim in! The staff did not even try to accommodate my advance request to put my 3 rooms near each other! We were on separate floors which proved to be VERY inconvenient for my family and me. Reception also would not accommodate a 1hr late check-out request for one room. Both were denials were firsts for me as a frequent traveler. Disappointing.

The hotel is right on Bourbon Street but manages to be an oasis from the madness just outside. That was a plus traveling with children. Jazz club in the lobby a major plus!

• Concierge Two Queen Bed Room

Room key stopped working 3x. Security was not helpful. Housekeeping appeared not to speak English and a little rude.

It's was close to everything on my itinerary. Breakfast and happy hour was great!

• King Room with Balcony and Street view

Housekeeping was a bit irregular with their hours, but nothing that a call to the front desk couldn't assist with!

A fabulous hotel on bustling Bourbon Street, Royal Sonesta exceeded all of our expectations. Our balcony room was clean, spacious, and the thick curtains help to muffle the sounds outside when it was time for bed (as well as block out the light) - we slept like babies even with the parties going on right outside the room. The pool was such an oasis that it hard to believe we were still in the middle of the French Quarter! Desire Oyster Bar was our go-to for delicious breakfasts and happy hour specials, and overall the staff and accommodations already have us planning our trip for next year.

• Deluxe King

Very Tiny Room and even smaller bathroom, $7 bottle of water left in room- not complimentary! $30 for three sodas with room service!

The location was great except for the fact that the outrageous noise from Bourbon street didn’t stop until 4am- the hotel needs better windows! Not worth the money! Stay a couple blocks off Bourbon for better rate and more quiet.

• Deluxe Queen

Service at Desire was slow, but hey, it is The Big Easy. Food was great and location perfect for people watching.

Beautiful property and excellent location. Room was a bit small, but beautifully decorated.

• Deluxe Queen

Room service food wasn’t great. Overpriced and not worth it. Rooms overlooking Bourbon Street are not soundproofed and it gets loud at night.

Great to have a pool! Loved the live jazz in the playhouse each night.

• Deluxe Queen

Staff seemed a little busy some times.

Very central location. The hotel is in a very beautiful historic building but has been redone recently and meets modern standards. We asked for (and got) a quiete room. If your room is overlooking Bourbon Street you might want to bring your earplugs.

• Deluxe King

The pillows were way too soft that was the only problem I had with my entire stay.

The bed was very comfortable This Hotel was beautiful and the staff was extremely helpful and very nice. I would definitely stay at Sonesta again

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Trying to get an Uber or lyft out of the French quarter was hard to do and when you could it cost a small fortune just to get you to the garden district.

Perfect location. Right on Buerbon street. Right in the heart of the French Quarter. Close to all the shopping, entertainment and culture. Jackson Square within a few blocks.

• Deluxe Queen

We had trouble sleeping-too much light coming under the door from hallway. Also, clock gave off too much light-had to cover with clothes

Everything seemed fresh and clean-staff was friendly and helpful. Love the location and sparkling lobby!

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

More noise-proof or provide ear plugs. Haha! Also, no one cleaned our room after the first night. We had to track down a housekeeper. Found someone else’s dirty shirt in the closet.

Location. Atmosphere. Checking in and doormen.

• Deluxe Queen

Upon arrival we were given a room which was unmade. The response to this was ‘sorry, we only let someone in there for five minutes’. Upon check out they also tried to over charge on one of the rooms. Staff were unapologetic.

• Interior Balcony Two Queen Beds

The pillows on the beds were very flat and uncomfortable.

We loved our stay at the hotel, staff was amazing and location was great. Rooms were nice and the courtyard was beautiful.

• Interior Balcony Two Queen Beds

We were not able to get into our room until almost 5:00. We had arrived around noon and our luggage was stored. We were told check in was until 4:00. We did some touring and was back at the hotel by 4:00. Disappointed we could not get into the room for another hour.

The welcoming individual at the front door and the staff inside were excellent. Very, very friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed their services. We had a room on the third floor off the patio/pool area which we greatly enjoyed.

• Deluxe Queen

The property was clean and the staff was excellent. The parking is ridiculously priced, however. Other than parking, the jazz play house and restaurants was convenient and very relaxing. The coffee house was very good and affordable.

The location was smack dab in the middle if everything

• Deluxe King

Noisey toilets flushing all around us We followed the steps for towel replacements but cleanrers just replaced everything.so much for reduce and reuse. Looks good on paper but practice what you preach!

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Front desk staff were rude, snobbish and unaccommodating. Highly disappointed. Multiple times we shook our heads and couldn't believe it........ Side street rooms with balcony should be reconsidered. They charge you more money to stay and I'd venture to say are some of the worst rooms I've paid to stay in......... car horns honking at the corners. Club music so loud you can feel the base in your room along with tourist loudness with the balcony door closed until 3-4 am.

Bellman staff were on point. Conseiere was very helpful and offered good tips. Amazing Jazz Club in the hotel. Housekeeping did a great job each day. There's a small fridge and safe in the room.

• Deluxe King

The room did not have a view like what was in the pictures, the price was very high for the view that we got ( which was a wall:( ) The house keeper were not fast enough it would take couple calls to get what you wanted lithe property it self did not meet my expectations as a resort 👎🏻

The bed was comfy and the front desk workers were nice

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Bathroom or the person that check us in.

We didn't know what all the hotel had to offer, we didn't get any information package. The person behind the desk at check in was not friendly at ALL! The bathroom was too small, we couldn't really see anything from the balcony but the other hotel.no sitting place.

• Deluxe King

It was perfect! I am sure there other adequate accommodations that are less expensive if you are just looking for a clean place to lay your head. The Royal Sonesta (for me) is as much a part of experiencing NOLA as it’s history and beauty and fantastic culture.

I loved the new room renovation’s. The bathroom was much more functional, the storage through out the room was masterfully increased and the decor was lovely, restful and comfortable.

• Deluxe King

The security staff member, Latricia was a superstar! She personally wheeled my injured friend to the room. Love this woman - she has class and grace and a warmth that is too often missing from employees today.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

The bed was not very comfortable. The faceplate for the tub was detached and laying on the counter. And it took us almost 45 minutes to checkout because the staff at the front desk was really slow.

Loved the location and how convenient everything was to the hotel.

• Deluxe King

Room not made up until 4.30 pm after 2 calls. Very inadequate. Coffee in room not good. To be expected is Burbon St. Noise

Central location, nice rooms. Friendly helpful staff.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

on the base side on the toilet wasn’t cleaned really good. Also the bathroom door was a little tricky we had to literally push It in, in order for It to shut. They balcony is a shared balcony which isn’t bad because they’re shutters to separate for privacy.

The lobby is gorgeous It makes you feel like royalty. The hotel is huge but very easy to navigate. The location is great everything is in walking distance. As for the rooms they were as expected based on the pictures very sleek look. Quaint and cozy.

• Deluxe Queen

Public areas were pretty tired and lobby level restrooms were disgraceful. Four additional taxes on the room, very costly parking and tax on that made our stay far more expensive than planned

Beds were very comfortable. Room was mostly clean. areas were pretty tired and lobby level restrooms were disgraceful. Revolution was wonderful and concierge lounge was well done and the staff was fantastic.

• Concierge Two Queen Bed Room

when we first checked in the room- we were initially booked did not meet our expectation on what we paid for, or pictures. when we went downstairs to inform we were told it was due to booking thru a second party site (we used booking.com) was disappointed (and very apparent) due to being our anniversary. front desk sensed that and found us something to switch into.

location, staff, and room we stayed in was great! you walk out the door and are off bourbon street and all the fun- amenities were great at this hotel- pool looked nice (but was cold when we were there) and they had a few restaurants on site to choose from.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

The guests next door got a little out of hand on OUR balcony but we quickly handled it.

Balcony room on side street allowed enjoyment of the crowd, but away from the craziness. Room was spacious and comfortable. Comfy bed & chairs. The shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispenser in the shower was pretty cool. Robes were comfortable and made you feel like royalty. A safe in the room and Keurig coffeemaker topped it off!

• Deluxe King

Rest room is outside the main lobby You get wet and slippery trying to find the restrooms outside the main lobby TERRIBLE

nothing except the restaurant next door Revolution

• Deluxe Queen

The staff on arrival were mainly terrible, they lady on the desk just did not want to be there. My room was not ready at 7:30pm arrival, that’s ok I suppose but the communication was terrible.

Right in the heart of the French QTR with loads to do on your door. Can be very nosey at night

• Deluxe Queen

A $7.00 water bottle charge was added to our room that we didn't drink. Our room had 2 water bottles in it; on the second day there was a 3rd water bottle that was opened and partially drank left in our room (we assumed from housekeeping). When we checked out we noticed we were charged $7.00 for that water. We had to tell them that wasn't ours and have them reimburse it. The suspicious thing is the same thing happened to the other couple we traveled with; the only difference was a 3rd water bottle was not involved, rather one of the two original bottles was opened and drank from on the second day.

Rooms were clean and the location to local activities was great.

• Deluxe Queen

We spent just one night here and LOVED every minute! The convenience to downtown is incredible!! Also, the service was unbeatable. I actually left a coat in Valet and your kind staff contacted us then mailed it RIGHT to my house in Ocean Springs. We WILL be back to this fabulous establishment. It was decorated beautifully and filled with 'action' the 24 hours we are present...LOVED IT!!

• Deluxe King

The bars in the hotel didn’t open until 4 on New Years Day and was shut for a private party on NYE. Very disappointing.

They hotel is very nice and in a great location. Bellmen were super helpful.

Every member of the staff that I was in ccontact with met me with a smile and asked if there was anything they could do for me!! This was my best hotel stay ever!!

• Deluxe King

Everything was perfect. We will definitely stay here again.

The hotel was beautiful, and the location was perfect! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

• King Room with Balcony and Street view

We booked a room with a balcony overlooking bourbon street and the balcony was not cleaned frequently and not up kept like the rooms or the interior of the hotel itself.

I loved the warm feeling of the hotel with its festive decorations and the warmth of the staff. Central and located in a very busy location which is great!

• Deluxe King

Contacting hotel staff after reservation process was very difficult (no one responded to my e-mails). Some fresh towels had stains on them.

Gorgeous main hall, pleasant smell inside the hotel (maybe not the most important thing but it is nice addition), excellent location, comfortable bed.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

It was hard to find the garage and there was construction on Bourbon St so it was confusing. It would have been nice if they had mentioned it and an easier way to get around it.

Everyone was very helpful and accommodating.

• Deluxe Queen

The WI-fi was a little sketchy at times and a little noisy at night with it being right on Bourbon Street.

The hotel was awesome. Right on Bourbon street, so a little noisy at night, but that comes with the location. We traveled right before Christmas, so it was decorated beautifully! Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to stay right in the city.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Deluxe Queen

We were originally put in a room right next to construction, it was very loud the whole first day and into the next. there were people outside of my window at all 4 am. When I say outside my window I mean literally, on a metal structure attached to the building, right on my balcony. The staff was friendly in moving us.

The decor was amazing, clean stylish rooms, beautiful Architecture. The bathrooms were beautiful. There hotel had a coffee shop, jazz room, and a restaurant all attached to the builiding. And the staff was very friendly and were very helpful when we had an issue.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

We were surprised to discover the side balcony which we paid extra for was shared by two other rooms - disappointed, esp.since neighbors were out there smoking. If you are looking for a quiet hotel, this is not your place. The walls are very thin, and you can hear conversations from adjoining rooms.

Room was nicely decorated, bed was comfortable. Location was great.

• Deluxe King

There is construction surrounding the hotel, which I know they can’t control, but they are currently replacing the roof. They get started bright and early!! Sounds fine unless you just went to bed a few hours ago. I understand these things happen, but it would have been nice to have been informed of the situation prior to arrival.

The location, restaurant and bar are amazing!! Also, this is a gorgeous hotel.

• King Room with Balcony and Side Street view

Nothing really stands out as negative, but the registration staff could have been a bit more welcoming. The person checking us in acted a bit as if it was an inconvenience and interacted as little as possible. All other staff we interacted with were very nice.

The location is fantastic, and we loved easy access to a place to listen to good jazz at night. The bell hop staff was extremely well organized, quick and friendly. Room cleanliness was also very good.

• Deluxe King

There was a lot of construction going on at the hotel. I would like to have seen the construction workers being more considerate to all the noise in the early morning hours. For a hotel that big and the price of the rooms per night I would have appreciated being in a part of the hotel that was not under construction

It was close to almost everything I went to see

• Deluxe King

Didn't like the fact that they didn't have the room i actually stayed at the hotel for a room with a balcony at least that what they told me until i get there and behold they have a balcony wife and i was crushed didn't understand why

Loved the king size bed!

• Deluxe Queen

The hotel was loud. People were loud in the middle of the night coming home. Our room faced Bourbon Street because that was all that was available so that made it even louder. Not enough staff at front desk. Staff not that welcoming. Otherwise the room was fine. Easy access to other areas.

The CONSTRUCTION! Ouch! I know it's not anything you have control over, but it really made the area hard to navigate and it didn't do anything for the lovely architecture that would otherwise be visible without all the fencing, barricades and large tractors! So sorry it has been a problem for so long, too. A lot of customers have mentioned the huge distraction/inconvenience it was.

You couldn't beat the location! The hotel is like a palace in the middle of the craziness of Bourbon Street! Everything is accessible and close and the Bellman was especially helpful and kind!

• Deluxe King

The location was excellent! Bourbon Street lived up to it's expectations! The staff was amazing and helpful and very polite. We enjoyed the pool and the rooms were very comfortable.

• Deluxe King

The hotel was very beautiful and the staff was incredibly attentive. We really really enjoyed our stay that way all Sonesta New Orleans. The hotel is in a great location as it is easy to get to all the hotspots in the French quarter as well as Canal Street. I would definitely recommend stay there .

• Deluxe Queen

Honestly our experience was amazing... we have no constructive criticism.

Comfy bed...quiet room...nice bathroom...very clean...the entire staff was welcoming and accommodating...within walking distance of EVERYTHING...can't wait till we return!!

• Deluxe King

Bourbon Street is currently all torn up with bull dozers and blocked off. They are re-doing the streets. When we checked in we were disappointed and they told us that there would be no construction work during the weekends. This was a lie. I was worried I was going to wake up to jack hammers. But no, it was still quiet. So not too bad.

How cozy and quiet our room was despite being right on Bourbon St.

Browse Royal Sonesta Hotel New Orleans traveller photo gallery