Reviews of The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member Grand Rapids 3 stars

270 Ann Street Northwest, Grand Rapids, MI 49504, USA

#29 of 33 hotels in Grand Rapids

Dirty sheets. Shower didn’t drain well so feet were surrounded with hair from bath plug. Near train tracks. Toilet door didn’t shut well.

Staff were nice.

Horrible staff for checking out

Quite honestly this place is mediocre, way to expensive for what what the rooms are. Staff was friendly checking in, but horrible checking out. It was like we were putting them out.

I booked this room specifically because it was a "city view" "suite". It cost more than even their regular king room. We were on only the 2nd floor with a view of thr parking lot and highway to the north.

It was a nice but small room and at the same price point we wouldve had better amenities elsewhere.

The beds were a bit springy and stiff. The location is several miles from downtown and while they have a shuttle, it doesn't run on holidays.

The river view is amazing! The lounge and restaurant are high quality. The decor is trendy and inviting. Staff are super nice and helpful.

Liked everything!

The hotel was beautiful, room was great. Young man at the front desk was fantastic and paid special attention to my 10 year old daughter. Gorgeous place, great location. Great staff!!

I'm a taller person, and I actually had to duck walking down the hallway to get to my room so my head didn't hit the light fixtures.

Room was nice, parking was ample, and the bar had very good happy hour specials

Restaurant feels dated and the food very much freezer to fryer, the bathroom in my room could have been cleaner. A little noisy but l think it is a bit of a party hotel so comes with the territory.

Comfortable, location, price

Both the pool and the hot tub needed cleaning. While there was a privacy screen on the windows, there was not a way to block the outside night to ensure sleep. There was also hair on the shower walls before I used it

The bed was very comfortable. The area was quiet. The provided shuttle to downtown was excellent. The driver was positive and helpful.

We stayed for 2 nights. Our room did not get made up or cleaned at any time between check in and check out. When we mentioned it to staff, they didn’t seem very concerned. The elevator is very old & very slow.

The room was fine, we have stayed at this hotel a few years in a row.

Beds in our room were a little firm for my taste but hardly a negative .

Staff was extremely polite and helpful in everyway . Including bartender who suggested multiple places to eat and enjoy our weekend trip . Free shuttle is awesome thing to have in a place like grand rapids . Driver was also very polite easy going .

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

There's only one towel and two washcloth, but that didn't matter, I saw a housekeeping by our area,and I asked for more.

Friendly staff, coffee was always available at the lobby for customers. Close to downtown,good for budget,bed is good enough. Free parking.

Every morning there were cigarette butts all over the front foyer outside, would suggest installing cigarette receptacles out front. The last two days the hotel was so noisy I couldn't sleep, including people playing handball on the hotel wall right under my room until midnight. There should be a noise restriction that late.

The first several days were good - restaurant is good, room really nice and clean, staff nice and helpful.

WiFi was very sketchy and woefully inadequate. They advertised shuttle service to downtown and this was a big factor in choosing this location. But they didn’t mention that it doesn’t run Until 3 PM and the Frontdesk offered little assistance. Arranging rides for 7 AM added to the expense of the stay.

Shuttle drivers were prompt, friendly, and very helpful and considerate. Room was very clean and housekeeping was attentive.

Front desk clerks pleasant but the one at the desk the morning (7AM) I left could not print out a receipt for me because she usually didn't do check outs. No one was on site who could help her. I haven't received an email receipt yet. I need it to make a claim on my cancellation insurance. Also returned to me room on Wednesday to find all the lights on. Very wasteful of energy. The printer was not working for printing out boarding passes.

cheap wine at happy hour

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Shower and toilet had hair in/on them. Toilet especially. The man that checked us in seemed to be having a bad day. Did not say hello or even talk to us. Could hear every noise Around us.

Only had one washcloth

Easy on...easy off...access...interesting decorum...not my style but very creative...I don't need my style anyway because I get that at home.

The walls were dirty and ugly. I booked a ‘room with a view’ and was given the first floor with the parking lot in view. For what I paid it’s totally not worth it. It’s the worst room I’ve ever had in all the hotels we stayed in. Since it’s near the back entrance door, the noise was unbearable almost the whole time we were there. People come and go talking noisily. Breakfast was expensive and it’s not worth it.

The bed was huge but not comfortable.

• King Room with Sofa Bed and River View - Non-Smoking

The layout of the bathroom was not well planned. Door nearly touches toilet and the towel racks hung right over the toilet. Also, it would have been nice to have access to the small balcony each room has. And having a free continental breakfast is never a bad thing!!

The features in the room were so modern and beautiful! Bed was comfortable, view was terrific, restaurant was really good. The pool and hot tub we're the best of any hotel I have been to. Just a really nice hotel.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We reserved 5 rooms through your website but only 4 were reserved. One of the students was unable to attend the conference so we only needed 4 rooms. We would like the credit card reimbursed $390.19.

Blinds wouldn’t roll up. Hair on the floor in the bathroom. Our “spare” key didn’t work, had to run down stairs 2 times to get it fixed. Elevator was so slow.

It was close to downtown. They had a shuttle service to bring you within a 3 mile radius of the hotel.

We were placed in a room next to the VERY loud elevator so we didn’t get any sleep. It was a busy Saturday night so the elevator was used all night and then starting back up around 6:30. Also on the website it was stated that we could add breakfast on for $8, but the front desk attendant and the waitress in the restaurant had no idea what I was talking about so we had to pay full price. Definitely was not worth the amount of money I paid for this room, especially when I couldn’t sleep!

The staff was friendly and the room was clean.

The curtains did not completely cover the windows so it was bright in the room all night. So if you need darkness to sleep you may not love this location.

The free shuttle is the best perk.

I asked for new towels 3 times and never got any, they said that they were short and would get me some as soon as possible. The hot tub was cold, the pool was actually warmer than the hot tub one of the days we were there

It was very clean and everyone was very nice.

Pillows were a little uncomfortable. The menu at the restaurant was not much selection for lunch/dinner and a little pricey so we opted to order pizza. Maybe some more easy bar food selections.

Lobby area was nice, clean and well decorated. Outside/courtyard area looked like it would be very nice to spend time in if weather was nice.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn’t have a view of the river but I understand that it was a busy weekend and I never specified that I wanted a view. I loved everything about being here. I will definitely be back.

I loved how clean and friendly it was. Rooms were beautiful.

Upon check-in, room bathroom was not cleaned at all, the toilet was filthy and there was a booger on the wall. TV issues only allowed for 7 channels, took maintenance 45 minutes and 6 trips to reprogram the TV for the 7 channels. Blackout blind wouldn't close completely, as it was damaged and installed incorrectly. Notified front desk of issues, both the night of check in, and then in the morning, refused to change rooms. Upon returning to the property, after surgery, the purpose of the trip; bathroom was semi-cleaned, booger still on wall. Extra towels and pillows were removed from room, TV still not functioning correctly. Upon request of additional items, Front desk staff seemed annoyed at the request and unhelpful about bathroom cleanliness issue.

The hotel layout and design was nice and the bed was comfortable. The attached restaurant and lounge were nice and the food was good.

Food took longer then promised to get, but worth the wait!

The Rooms were very clean, staff great. I love their restaurant, the food very good, staff extremely nice.

Shade didn't work in room and the bathroom smelled of vomit. The smell was covered up with spray,but that wore off by evening.

Very clean lobby and outdoors.

You can tell that they are trying to improve what was once a very run down facility. They are making progress but it's a little like putting paint on a pig.

Rooms were clean and updated, bed was comfortable and staff was very easy to work with. They had a shuttle to downtown which is helpful.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

That is was right next to highway, so you either got highway view... or river view

Extremely nice and clean Wonderful staff Very large pool With a great view of the morning sunrise

Shower head was leaky and we had to ask for towels on second day.

Room was clean. We liked that it was a little on the basic side. Room was on small side, but for price and location, it was good! Lobby area was a little crowded at times, but understandable. Wish we would have known about pre-booking the shuttle. Our bathroom tub had a leaky faucet/shower head. Could not beat the location!

Bed had plastic protector on it with no mattress pad made noise when you moved and felt like I was staying in a seedy hotel TV very poor quality picture

Price was good pool and hot tub were good

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Shower was way too short for me, didn't even come up to my shoulders. I am 6'2"though so that happens some times

Cheap for its location, good bar!

Lack of mirror in common room. Shortage of towels & toliet paper.

We had dinner before going to concert. Our server was excellent, bartender was a no show so she did it all & did a GREAT job

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Have stayed there the last 4 years for the outdoor show and the main elevator is the slowest elevator I have ever used.

Room was clean and shower pressure was perfect.

our group order dinner and the cooked walked out so no food for us. bathroom doors do not latch shut in the rooms. t.v. played static through it. ice machine on 5th floor broke. free coffee in hallways empty. not worth the $$ we paid very disappointed.

the shuttle was the best of our stay

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Could hear elevator all evening. Smokers were right outside entrance door. Breakfast was ok but equivalent to what you might get free at other hotels.

Room was updated and had a trendy look to it. Hotel was clean and appropriate, but you could tell that the hotel was redone from an older hotel.

The clock radio in my room didn't work and the staff didn't know how to fix it either. Then I didn't receive the wakeup call I had to request.

The staff were helpful, giving me a map of downtown and recommendations on events. My waitress, Richelle, was efficient, friendly and funny.

The bed was very comfortable, the room clean and neat. The hotel was quiet. I had a problem with my reservation, but the management was very forthright in fixing the problem. I was very impressed with their actions.

They charged me twice for the same room and won’t refund me. The bed sheets felt like they were made out of McDonald’s napkins and the rooms were very small and not clean at all. Oh, and the breakfast was not included in the stay.

Awful customer service. They cannot handle more than a few rooms without being over whelmed. Free shuttle back to hotel until 1am unless they don't pick you up. We called to get the shuttle it was going to be a half an hour wait an hour later we are still waiting and ending up having to get a cab back to the hotel

The bed- sheets so starched they crunched, pillows that were so fluffy they offered no support, and comfort that was okay, at best.

The price was good and Jenna at the front desk was a pleasure.

• King Room with Sofa Bed and River View - Non-Smoking

Uhhhhh....cant even make up something 'fake news'-like on this question!

Wait staff in both the lounge and dining room were friendly and prompt! Same with the front desk personnel! The room decor was above typical hotel standards... I'm planning on replicating the European style hall closet in my home! The bed was ultra comfy, flat screen and desk were both very generous in both size and quality! Pool was way more than I expected!Family friendly all around! Restaurant was packed Sunday morning...lotsa families and couples. Hotel guests you'd feel comfortable with passing in the hallway or sitting next to in the lounge or dining room!

There were a couple burn marks on the night stand and the dresser had definitely seen some wear.

I liked the shuttle service to down town. When we got back to our room I was surprised at how comfy the bed was.

• King Room with Sofa Bed and River View - Non-Smoking

We booked 2 nights, there was blood on the floor of our room, it was never cleaned from one day to the next& staff barged in when do not disturb was on the door.

The hotel was easy to find

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed I was very dissatisfied with. There was a plastic sheet on the mattress and then the sheet. I understand have a plastic cover on the bed but to not have anything btw that and the sheet was soooo uncomfortable. I had to ask for extra sheets to so that I didn’t feel that. It’s the first hotel I’ve ever been in that has done that. It was kinda gross too. I asked for extra blankets and they front desk gave me 3 extra sheets. The sheets were rough so I slept in a Sweatshirt and sweatpants.

I like how they had tried to update it to be more modern boutique type hotel. The bar was very nice and had a good selection of drinks. On the surface very nice but when you look a bit closer you can tell paying more then $99/nt is all it’s worth.

The fan in the bathroom didn't work well. The temperature control never worked. We turned the heat down at night and the room remained at 72 which is way too warm. The unit on the wall kept clicking and the fan on the wall unit by the window was loud.

The bed was comfortable. It's nice to have a fridge in the room.

The room could smell a little less like freebreze. I'm glad it smelled clean, but a little strong. And the cleaning service could have vacuumed a little better.

Barely got 3 hours of sleep due to party people right by/above us. Since it was a Sunday night, and there weren’t many people at the hotel, they could have spread us out through the hotel so we weren’t right by each other.

The room was decorated nicely, and very affordable

Breakfast ...didn't have time to set down and place order plus thought it was pricey to get something ....rather have where you can go in grab something and go.

Shuttle Bus

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

The room was not very clean. The floor was not vacuumed, hair and dust all over everything. The bathroom was gross. Hair everything, looked like the shower was not cleaned, plus the wall behind the toilet had what looked to be dried feces and toilet paper on it. The lovely lady at the front desk came up and cleaned it off the wall for me. Not many tv channels came in, there was a bright flash in my room every hour or so when I first checked in which made me very uncomfortable. It would have been nice to have a balcony, from the outside it looks like there is one, but when you get inside the room, the window doesn't even open. Not worth the money i paid to stay there.

I liked the view from the window, parking was super easy. Staff at the front desk was very friendly.

The interior of the hotel was very nice, it looked really clean and updated, smelled fresh. The rooms were spacious as well! They have a shuttle downtown for free which was a nice perk that I wasn't expecting.

Break fast buffet did not have many selections and when ordered off menu was mediocre.

Recently remodeled and very nice, especially compared to what is was previously.

The elevator was not good to slow.

The hotel was in a good location. The shuttle service was great. Beds were good. Very clean room. Would definitely stay again.

The beds were not comfortable, they were too stiff and the sheets and blanket didnt breathe at all, it trapped all the heat so it was uncomfortsbly hot even with AC on

I like the location and the option to shuttle down town.

• King Room with Sofa Bed and River View - Non-Smoking

The hotel is very old, and the WiFi didn’t work at all while I was there. The bathrooms need additional updating. Shower/tub is small with low shower heads. The doors and hallway carpets are old, too. This could be such an awesome property, but for now, it’s only had a mini-update.

The newer furnishings were nice

They took money from my card twice when we arrived and when we checked out and it was double the amount, when I asked them about it, they said booking.com re-book the room for you today we will cancel it and refund you within 3 days, today is the 4th day we didn’t get any of that.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

upon check-in, hairs in the bath, toilet not cleaned. had breakfast in the restaurant, sat in a booth next to a homeless person. No issue with homeless people, but they dont get to shower, and when I am paying good money to stay in a hotel, I dont expect to be eating next to someone who smells the way they do.

The hotel room had no bathroom vent, was very small. The beds were very hard.

It was beautiful lobby and restaurant and the breakfast buffet was good but you had to pay extra for it.

The restaurant was awful. We had over an hour to eat and make it downtown for a concert. Plenty of time considering there was only one other table in the restaurant and 6 people at the bar. We were off to a good start with drinks and appetizers. Wait staff was great. My fiancé ordered a pizza as an entree so we could stash the rest in our room for later. Myself and our 2 other guests received our meals about 40 minutes after ordering. We had to go get our own drinks after waiting 15 minutes (ordered before receiving entree). The potatoes were cold and our friends' steaks were overdone. We were told 2 minutes on the pizza. 10 minutes later we were told the cooks made the wrong kind and it would be another 8 minutes. The rest of us we're now done with our meals and we needed to get going after our drinks. After waiting at least 15 minutes, we were brought a pizza that was still very doughy. We were told they would take off 50% and they didn't. And, the menu prices were less than on the bill. Finally we were able to speak to the (acting) manager. He did say he'd by us a beer if we made it back before 12 am and he comped the entire pizza and our 4 beers. We did make it back by midnight (we like to stay there for that very reason). The bartender was visibly iterate. "Yeah are you the guys with the shorty pizza?" We decided to play along. We are not unreasonable people. We explained to him the way the night unfolded and he lightened up on us a bit. We don't get out very much, but I know waiting an hour and a half for a table of 4 ( the only diners by now) is rediculous. We were late meeting our friends for the concert and mostly upset because we were just avoided until we were ready to leave. We will never eat there again and we really had high hopes with the new owners/menu.

Check in and out/ service people were great. While checking out, we weren't asked how our stay was.

No complaints. I've stayed at this hotel before and I always book my reservation here.

Great hot tub and pool. Everyone is very nice and friendly.

• King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Unfortunately the last night I was there, Sunday, there were people in the hallway outside of my room until 4am. The person at the front desk did talk to them but it took 3 times before the problem was resolved.

The location for me was perfect. I was in town for Art Prize and walked into town from the hotel. It was a couple of miles but I was able to view all of venues on the way to town and I liked that.

I didn't like the fact that there was opened candy in the night stand. The plastic on the beds. The very think walls cannot well when there are loud people. A flashing light in the middle of the night and very early morning like someone was taking a picture of you! The room was very humid! Window does not open!

The staff was friendly.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It was pretty obvious they renovated an old building on a budget. Walls were pretty thin. Also, from the outside it looks like a giant strip club. Not sure why they are going with the purple incandescent lighting.

Great value given the location just outside of downtown and just off the highway. Just renovated which was nice. Staff was nice very nice.

The bed was hard and uncomfortable, the mattress had a plastic cover over it and made noise every time you would move or roll over. The room we booked was suppost to have a hot tub and sitting room, which our room didn't have.

Clean, and nicely decorated.

Had to pay for breakfast, which wasn't very good and you get less than continental breakfast. Breakfast also only included coffee and pop, no juice. There were hairs in our hand towels.

The pool was nice along with the giant chess and free parking.

The “city” view was a view of the parking lot & highway in the opposite direction of the city. The lobby area seems to have been updated, but the rooms were small & didn’t feel super clean.

Check in & out was very easy. Staff extremely friendly at the front desk & shuttle service. That was a huge bonus as it made going downtown really easy & convenient. Live music Friday & Saturday night lots of fun.

This was literally the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in. There were someone else's HAIRS on the shower soap shelf and on the bathroom counter, the tub had been shabbily re-glazed and was a peeling mess, there was something disgusting smeared on the bathroom door, and the walls were so paper thin we were awakened by the normal volume conversation of the people in the next room and it was as loud and as clear as if they were in the same room with us. When we complained to the desk staff member about the disgusting state of the room, she gave us a lame smile and shrugged her shoulders, saying, that's good to know; no apologies, no nothing. All that on top of the fact that the room was also missing normal things for a $169/night room -- no mirror in the main room and no hairdryer. We will never in our lives stay here again.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

After telling me my room would be ready at 2:30 I returned at 5:30 still not ready. Hardly anyone at hotel so didn't understand. After 6 trips back and forth to my room, still no working room key...never did get one. In a bad neighborhood i as a single female did not feel safe

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No coffee cups no wash cloths, bed was suppose to be a queen size and told it was, it was a full size, ice machines broken, TV was so snowy we could barely watch it

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The pool temperature was too cold! My toddler was shivering and we wanted to enjoy it because it was a beautiful large pool area! Biggest pool in hotel we've seen!

Very appealing to the eye! Walked into a beautiful lounge area! Purple is my favorite color so I was immediately attracted to the facitity!

Edge of highway intersection is not as described for this hotel.

Room downstairs enjoyed all night partying - room was small and untidy, not fresh or clean. - bar service lacked enthusiasm....

Unable to crack a window to have any air circulating in the room. Showerhead was so short my husband had to sit on the side of the tub to be underneath it and I had to kneel throughout shower. No full length mirror in the room.

They were late and seemed very unorganized to open the restaurant at 7 am. My daughter had an appointment at DeVos Children's Hospital at 7:45. We were almost late for this appointment and drove from Traverse City for it!

Very helpful staff.

Our first room was not cleaned completely, but we were given another room that was much better. However, the noise level of other guests was very high and disrupted our sleep.

Everyone who worked in this hotel could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We felt welcome and cared for in every aspect.