Reviews of Howard Johnson by Wyndham San Francisco Marina District 2 stars

1940 Lombard Street, Marina District, San Francisco, CA 94123, USA

#180 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

Location perfect!

Quite rundown. Towels were old and looked like they’ve been through a lot of washing. Breakfast was blah. Nothing to look forward to.

Great location, it’s close to the wharf and other touristy places

Location and free parking
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bed creaked and was uncomfortable. They took out all of the refrigerators. There were stains on the very old and worn bedding. I would never stay here again.

Location and free parking

The free parking was not worth it!
    • Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The parking is limited and on a first come basis. The bed sheets were very badly stained, worn out and had holes in them. The bath towels were thin and one was stained more brown?than white? Really disgusting! The room was very noisy from the street noise and air unit. The distance to the Fishermans wharf was 1/2 hr and to Union square 1hr. Really didn't enjoy this stay at all.

Good shower.

Do not go there.
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Overall it was shabby. The internet kept failing and the staff on the desk seemed unable to help. The room was not serviced during our 3 night stay. We did ask for clean towels and toilet paper, but The Chambermaid did not make up our bed and replace toiletries. The breakfast was awful.

There was one young man who helped us with Uber taxis.

Very nice and clean room.
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

That there was no elevator and we had to drag all our luggage upstairs and the front desk offers no help...they need some sort of bell boy!

Very clean and comfortable, modern decor.

No elevator, so we had to haul our bags up the stairs.
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

No elevator, so we had to haul our bags up the stairs. Also, the parking is awful. I couldn't fit my car into the last remaining spot in the parking garage, so I had to park on the street.

Learned my lesson,NO GUARANTEED PARKING,NO FRIDGE , NO MICROWAVE IN THE ROOM - NO BOOKING NEXT TIME!

Outdated bathrooms, tiling is moldy, stains on the walls, NO FRIDGE & NO MICROWAVE IN 2018 ??! Saving money on electricity bill? Disgrace on a hot day not even a water could be cooled :((

Location & occasionally available parking spot at the hotel

Good staying for family , close to go all places
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

no elevator for luggage and we are lucky to had room with window facing outside of the hotel. most of the room in there the window facing each other . Parking is first come first serve and wifi signal so bad.

Hotel Room are clean and we lucky to get the room with window facing outside of the hotel. better view than others room their window facing inside of the hote.

I’d do it again
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Curtains were dirty, towels were ultra thin.

The Hotel is in a fantastic location, easily accessible to the rest of the city, Palace of Fine Arts, Golden Gate, Etc. They put good toilet paper in our room, so no single ply. All the people Indealt with were super nice

so not worth it
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

hard to get sleep, noise from street as well as other guests in hallway (due to bad design of all rooms being adjacent to same narrow hallway) lack of cleanliness in room, stains, discolored towels, and on and on...

I requested a written receipt for my payment, but could not...
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I requested a written receipt for my payment, but could not get one presumably because we were checking out a day early, forfeiting the extra day, and the computer could not calculate for premature departure. The clerk offered to send my receipt electronically the next day (proper departure day) and took my email address; to date I have not received anything (except this survey).

Bad experience

Breakfast is terrible. Very unsecure property, our car was vandalized. Rooms are not clean, beds not clean. Staff is not very kind. No elevator.

Just the location

I enjoyed it, it was a dependable situation in a chaotic week.

Some noisy neighbors who, due to the no smoking clause, chose to stand in the outdoor area between rooms and curse and carry on. I notified the front office in person and they eventually got quiet. Well done.

Basic but very sound in its fulfillment of its service.

Beds are nice and comfy.
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The hallway is super loud. You hear every conversation and door close.

Beds are nice and comfy. The neighborhood has great a night life with clubs and bars and small venues to kickback and relax. All within walking distance. Hot coffee and warm breakfast was enjoyable.

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

The breakfast was in the reception area and no room to move. we had to hurry and finish our breakfast so that the next people could sit down and have there's. The location was average. There was no where to get food and eat near by. All attractions where to far to walk. There was no lift/elevator so carrying bags upstairs made it hard. The shower took far to long to warm up. I found that the staff were not that helpful either.

To be honest there was nothing that great about this hotel. The beds were comfy that's about it.

Amazing value for its location - clean, quiet, excellent service.

Amazing value for its location. Walking distance from Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf. Free parking! Very clean, excellent service. Would recommend again 100%.

The hotel was reasonably priced for San Francisco although a...
    • Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

There was suppose to be onsite parking but there were no spots left when we arrived at 3pm so I had to park on the street 4 blocks away in a 2 hour spot during the day. The reason I booked here was for the parking so I could leave the car parked and walk.

The hotel was reasonably priced for San Francisco although a decent walk from attractions

Overall despite couple of small gripes great value in an expensive city and good location

Biggest gripe was no Elevator which meant had to carry 2 large cases up 2 flights of stairs. Wasnt aware of this when booking- wasnt offered help On more than 1 night the room was cleaned and staff left no new towels or coffee. Staff brought it up when I rang down. Would have been nice to have safe in room due to tourist nature. On one night other guest got back at 4am (expect a drunken night in a city) biggest issue was that they were loud for at least 30 mins and despite a call to reception to ask them to sort it nothing happened for at least an hour.

Rooms were large and spacious. Bed was comfy and location was very good for entry into city. Parking included was a big bonus.

Good staff tight parking.

Room opened up to outside. The floor tile in the bathroom was about an inch above the level of the carpet and there wasn't a threshold. I think I may have broken my toe on the granite flooring in the bathroom from the trip hazard caused by the carpet in the room not being level with bathroom flooring. Either the carpet needs to be raised or the bathroom floor need to be lowered. At the very least a threshold should. Be installed. The toe I injured still hurts me from time to time, but it hurt me everyday walking during out trip. I have broken another toe before so I know how it feels. If this one is broken it is only a cracked bone in the toe. Bottom line is we won't be staying here again.

It was there

Was dismayed when I checked in, happy as a clam when I checked out. Classy little room!

When I found out my room was right on Lombard, I said to the desk man, "IF I 'd known, I wouldn't have booked this place." Dismayed, got to the room, traffic noise was very loud. At least I had come prepared with noise-cancelling headphones. Didn't even need them. Between the TV and the whoosh of air blowing from the heater, the noise was considerably diminished. When it came time to sleep, I plugged my sound bar into my laptop, cranked up the volume on some soothing relaxation music, and didn't even here the traffic. Moving on, the carpet was not new, but OK, dark with a murky design to hide accidents, but acceptable. The pillows were short and overstuffed, an imitation of better pillows, but not terrible, either.

The room was smaller than I like, but appeared to have been recently remodeled, with a professional decorator's touch, and he did a terrific job. Two tone paint job, great colors, great decisions on where to use which color. White comforters rather than the dark bedspreads ( a remant of the "hide-the-dirt" era hotels), with a colorful sash across the lower part of the bed (very classy look), and double-sheeted underneath. The room had a tub, which is a huge plus for me. Granite tile on the bathroom floor and faux travertine shower surround looked outstanding. Clean, clean, clean! (next to godliness). Very nice big digital TV with loads of channels. Furniture all matched, Danish modern, not my fave, but showed someone made the effort, and it had a nice clean look, with nice mirror and headboard. Also, heater worked great, and loads of hot water for my bath.! Artificial lighting was good, too. Very good choice of restaurants just outside on Lombard.

Location is good.
    • Studio King Suite - Non-Smoking

Staff where not too friendly. Room was not ready at the check in time. AC was not working. Not much parking available. And sheets where not changed.

Location is good.

Hotel is very basic, but comparable to other hotels in San Fran

Needed to get taxi from airport costing $70. Would suggest to all future customers to book airport shuttle company, got this on way back for $30. Takes longer as picks up from other hotels.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Our stay was fine for what we needed. A clean place to lay our heads after the ball game.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The lighting in the bathroom was dim and the water pressure was very light. Although there is parking available, it is limited and the spaces are incredibly tight! Don't drive anything large in there and expect to park.

There was free parking and the rooms were clean. It had what we needed for the night. There was great options for tv channels and the beds weren't the most unconcomfortable I've ever slept in. Thank goodness for the coffee pot! It's in a decent location to the park but a little far from pier 39, yet walkable if you're into that!

San Francisco is awesome and location of hotel was within a responsible distance to sight seeing are
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Rooms were on 2nd and 3rd floor no elevator. Breakfast area has 2 tables, coffee, tea, oj and apple juice. Frosted Flakes and Cheerios, English muffins, Bread for toast and snails. Parking is very limited and they let non handicap use that space. We had to park on busy Lombard St the night before we left as nothing was available in the garage.

Room was clean and beds comfy.

Great location to explore San Francisco.

Basic hotel but you get what you pay for. The staff were very helpful and the rooms are spacious. Great location if travelling through with plenty of shops and places to eat within a few hundred metres.

Great hotel, great price.

The only thing bad I can say about this hotel is the fact that there's no fridge in the room. Aside from that there is nothing I didn't like.

Room was clean, staff was friendly, breakfast had a wide variety of options. WIFI was fast, cable worked well and it was a quiet room without a lot of noise in the area. The value I got for what I paid for exceeded my expectations. I will definitely stay here again!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

It was easy to get to, resonably priced for the area, no frills.

Simple room. There was a broken jacuzzi tub with cigarette burns on the side. The place was pretty noisy. Breakfast was minimal. People at the desk could not answer transportation questions very well. They did not have my reservation information.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

This hotel is a lot older than I expected and so noisy.

This hotel is a lot older than I expected and so noisy. I assumed since it is a Howard Johnson hotel that it would be nicer than a lower level hotel/motel chain. It isn't. Lots of noise, super thin sheets (with hair), mold in shower and paint bubbling, wifi wouldn't work...just not what we expected from a Howard Johnson. I would have verbalized these concerns with staff but want asked if our stay was okay.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Convenient Neighborhood Close to the Bay

The ground floor rooms were quite dark so requested a change to the first floor which we hugely preferred. Breakfast room was very small for number of guests staying and what was on offer was very of the white bread/ sugary pastries variety with no fresh fruit/cheese/yogurt though perhaps this is fairly typical of the U.S. We topped up the breakfast with buys of our own to make it more substantial. Coffee and tea were good and plentiful.

Just by Chestnut Street neighbourhood with lively bars, restaurants and cafes plus two independent cinemas rather than being in the tourist area. Bike hire and laundry shop combined opposite which was very convenient. Just a short walk to the marina and bay front.

Great location for Golden Gate and Fisherman's Wharf

Hallways and stairs need to be cleaned. Noisy....street noise and customers.

Continental breakfast was very limited. Space to get breakfast and be seated was extremely limited

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Comfy stay!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The ONLY thing we didn't like was when we took our car out one day & stressed out about not having a spot when we got back tothe hotel, so we cut our time short at Pier 39 to park in the hotel garage, then called LYFT to take us back out!! The breakfast was pretty basic, no oatmeal or bagels & cream cheese-only toast, english muffins, danish & 2 types of cereal.

The room was VERY clean, the bed/mattress super comfy & the pillows were AWESOME! I slept great! The front desk staff were extremely helpful, especially the manager Aneish (sorry about the spelling) He suggested due to limited guest parking in the garage, that we leave our car there & take LYFT to get around-which we did & it worked out perfectly!! AC & heat worked great, as well as hot water in the shower, DISH TV gave us many options for viewing when went back to the room to relax!

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

It's comfortable and street noise is better than others...
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Parking is limited to first come first serve and spaces are small.

It's comfortable and street noise is better than others we've stayed at in the area. Older, but works fine.

Location was good, free parking if you were on time

It was a little noisy at night and our room was right beside the ice machine which woke us at night. Breakfast was basic but it is a motel so it's similar to what was expected

Location was good, free parking if you were on time

Over priced for what you get.

The breakfast was terrible. We travel a lot and that was the worst breakfast we have ever encountered. The towels in the room were filthy. Parking lot is tiny.. if you plan to take your car out for the day there is a possibility you won't be able to park when you come back. The staff were not helpful.

It was walking distance to Fishermans Wharf and Lombard street, and a close driving distance to all other attractions.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Basic

The bed was small, towels were old and small, coffee in room was awful and no kettle for tea. Breakfast room was awful, only 2 small tables lots of people had to eat standing up....very poor.

The bed was small but comfortable. The location is ok

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Fear
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

First off, the photos online did not look anything like onsite property once I arrived. I stayed with my spouse and a young child. Upon our stay, we had neighbors whom are in their early 20's and was having from what it seems like a party, doors were banging and slamming every minute, a lot of commotions. My husband came to informed the on duty manager and needless to say the situation did not get resolve. Our daughter slept in fear and we were woken up continuously throughout our 4 hours of sleep from our 12 hour drive to California. My husband had to go downstairs again at 2am and again I went downstairs to the main office at 4am to inform the manager but the commotions still continued. This is by far the worse experience I've had in my 8 years of travel.

There wasn't anything to like.

Very misleading and disappointed
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything. The room was moldy and falling apart. The sheets had not been washed. The vents were clogged with dust. Towels were frayed, sheets had holes so big your hand could fit through them.

I liked that the hotel was in a central location to all the tourist attractions.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

The room was clean
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel didn't have enough parking space, there was no fridge or microwave in the room. I had booked a room with two queen beds and instead we got two full beds. WiFi was not working, the breakfast area was too small, and the times for the breakfast were inconvenient.

The room was clean

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Not good at all glad only there for 2 nights would have moved after first if didn't have so much lug
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Terribly stained chair in room. Room smelled moldy. Very noisy between traffic and people traffic in hallway. No elevator had to carry bags upstairs.

Poor breakfast selection, no waffles, cheap cereal and packaged danish. Only 2 tables. Booked 2 beds got 1 king. Had to ask for blanket and got a curtain. Would never stay there again.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

The location was good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds were hard as rocks. The shower was made for kids not adults very low. And the parking was very limited and tight fit.

The location was good. In the middle of everything. About a 3 mile walk either way to stuff.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

Average

Staff weren't very helpful with directions to use public transport. No Lift, wifi was intermittent. Location was a bit far from everything.

Parking was good.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Publish no handicap facilities available.

Not enough parking, not handicapped access abilities, no elevator, not being able to cancel reservations after booking,

A warm clean place close to our business

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

The personal was great.

The personal was great. For the price is a very fair hotel, the location is very nice, safe. The first room we got smell bad. But we told the guy and he change inmediatly and the bew one was perfect.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Was commotion in the early hours multiple nights, not really the hotels fault but dampened the experience a little

Great location. Room was modern and clean, bed was comfy and bathroom was great

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

4.0
    Not Great for Family of 5

We had a booking for 2 adults 3 kids. They put us in complete seperate rooms. Beds and pillows extremely uncomfortable. Left with a very sore neck. Concierge did as much as they could. Wifi was inconsistent. Someone pinched my comb. Not suitable for family of 5.

Close to Fishermans Wharf. They had flat screen TV with lots of stations. Not much good points about the property for a family of 5.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Good position, close to bus stop and in a nice zone,...

Breakfast is very basic, in line with the motel. There is moquette on the floor... :(

Good position, close to bus stop and in a nice zone, completely safe.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

It was quiet

It was open to anyone walking the street and the location is not in the best part of town for that. Our room also had a ladder outside the window with a building right next to it for anyone to come across in. There was no lock on the door

It was quiet

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

good to stay here
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the stair to high,and parking so small

the room was clean ,staff ar the front very nice,and the location is not far from walking distance to land mark place.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Clean and comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Lack of mini fridge and microwave. Although I was able to find adequate street parking, their parking facilities are small,tight, and very limited maybe 14-20 slots

Clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Friendly staff.

Small, well-worn facility. Out-dated. Uncomfortable. Do not stay here if you plan on hanging out in room (which you don't need to seeing as you're in SF and a terrific location).

Friendly staff. Cannot beat location.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Pleasant, close to most locations, can be walked

Very noisy during night hours, shape of the building causes any talking outside to be heard in the units. The host needs to police this to stop the noise

Expensive stay, shabby digs
    • Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Tacky. Not even any hand or shower soap. Awful breakfast (but the coffee was OK). Noisy. It would have been OK at $89, but at $200+??? I don't think so.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Good location for a decent price
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Wish I had a refrigerator in my room. Front desk forgot to call up to my room for my wake up call, luckily I was up already. Very minor things.

The bed and pillows were really comfortable. There was limited parking, but usually if you get around 8 you could find a parking spot in there garage area. About a 15 - 20 minute walk from Fisherman Wharf. Hop on hop off bus stop 15 is a couple blocks away from the hotel. A really nice location.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

I would happily return.

Lots of stairs. Even rooms on the first level were up a flight. No microwave or fridge. However, the desk clerk let me use the microwave in the breakfast area. Several people smoked on the stairs or at the bottom of the stairs, so of course the smoke went right up to the second level. Also, there were very few parking spots. Clearly not enough for all the rooms. I parked on the street, and it was fine, but there was no mention of limited parking on the website.

Better rooms than I expected from reviews. Small but nice. Kind staff.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

TV was nice and they had Fox sports one.

Parking was full and was first come first serve. We eventually found a spot when the maintenance guy moved his truck. Not the most desirable area.

TV was nice and they had Fox sports one.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Would probably stay here again

Very little parking space, which for a hotel in San Francisco is pretty poor. The spaces they do have are not reservable so you have to just turn up and hope for the best.

The room was nice, the location was pretty good. After looking at a ton of different hotels and b&bs, this place was probably the best for the price.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Good value for money
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not very inviting entrance Somehow indifferent stuff

Great location near to the golden gate Bridge Comfortable room Free car parking Pleasant Marina district with a lot of restaurants around

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

A very comfortable stay for a few nights. Staff very friendly ad helpful.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Parking could have been a problem but the hotel provides plenty of warning the parking was on a first served bases. There are enough parks for approximately 50% of the rooms.

Location of the hotel perfect for a short trip to San Fransisco. Handy to buses and cheap restaurants.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Room Too Small for 4
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We had a room with two full beds. It should have been a room for a king size bed. Too small. The door on our room did not have a snug fit. You could see the outside through the frame!

The gentleman who checked us in was very helpful in bringing our heavy bags up the stairs.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Below average
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

- Housekeepers should be polite. I didnt know where can I smoke and I asked to housekeeper. She was angry and not polite. She says angrily "You cant smoke here! Go to outside!" We were shocked. - Hotel take $50 deposit. - Hotel is so far to the city center. - Breakfast was not breakfast. (Just corn flakes and bread)

- Beds were comfy. - Room was clean.

It's a good hotel but parking is a nightmare 1st come...

Two towels is not enough

It's a good hotel but parking is a nightmare 1st come 1st served so be there by 5am or your street parking if you can find it

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Called about parking and told no problem, OK first 3 days,...

Called about parking and told no problem, OK first 3 days, then no parking on 4 night after talking to front desk the morning I needed the parking, told me to go a block up and a a block and used paid parking, me paying an additional $12. Would not recommend to any one. Front office lies.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

Very Comfy beds.
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Looks old and a little tired from the outside. Noisy if you get a room near the street Noisy internally if there's other loud guests

Very Comfy beds. Very clean room. Free parking

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Quiet easy access to sf

Parking sucked ... and i forgot my laptop charger granite i only live 80 miles from sf i got the run around when trying to get it shipped to me ... i ketp getting call back when my manager is here no matter when i called then finally they said shes on vacation

Quiet easy access to sf

Close to everything and comfortable

Very noisy

Close to everything and comfortable

I'll be back!!

More breakfast food variety

Nice staff

Room was clean. Easy check in and out. Friendly staff. Nice neighborhood.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The breakfast. No protein like a hard boiled egg.

Friendly staff

Would not stay here again
    • Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

2 star hotel at best for 4 star prices.

Location was decent

Convenient for my need

Towels

It has a very very good location.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

It has a very very good location. Near everything.

Parking

Parking

Good place for this amount of money and location!

poor breakfast, but it was ok :)

Good place for this amount of money and location! stuff working all day and night long. very helpful

Ok, being by myself. I wouldn’t ask someone else to stay with me, there.

It is a low-cost place! The towels were garbage. The sheets had a blood stain. The soaps were Cheap! The vending machine was broken.

Bed was pretty comfortable

Toilet kept stopping up

Bed was pretty comfortable

Great staying
    • Studio King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking was first come first serve and it was tight

Clean and quiet