Reviews of Red Lion Inn & Suites Phoenix - Tempe 3 stars

#32 of 78 hotels in Scottsdale

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

The place was nice
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

The staff was rude and complained I was taking to much food I have 6 kids and they couldn't eat I went to work and had to drive back 60 miles away

The place was nice

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

I would choose to stay at the Red Lion Hotel again.

The hotel has lettered lighting which indicates which building one is facing. I stayed in building “D” However, the “D” building light is not working. This caused me to drive around the hotel grounds several times before finding building “D” repairing that particular fixture would truly help, especially given the fact that customers are expected to distinguish the hotel buildings by the letter signs affixed to each one.

The room and accommodations were great given my three day rate. The hotel was very clean and the grounds well kept. In addition, the staff was friendly and helpful.

Unhelpful desk

The front desk staff was very unhelpful and kind of rude, no smile .

Everything else besides the front desk agent was excellent . Nice clean room polite housekeepers . Great breakfast .

Great location!

Great location! Complimentary breakfast was a plus and it was really good! The staff was so polite and it was always clean. The pool was great for a quick dip.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

It was the worst experience to stay there I ever had!

It was the worst experience to stay there I ever had! The staff was very arrogant. When I came to the hotel, the staff told me I have to pay two times of the price I booked in the booking. I asked why, he said, “you have to ask booking.” After I called booking, he changed price for me. Then, I tried paying cash for the room fee. The stuff said they don’t accept cash. I said, I only have cash in that time. He said, he can go ahead cancel my reservation. It was around midnight. I was so tired.

Nice clean value holel. Would stay again.

The coffee could have been stronger. Lol

Bed was comfortable, room was quiet and clean and the breakfast was very good with a nice selection. The price was excellent.

Desk clerk checking us in failed to record that we needed a...

Desk clerk checking us in failed to record that we needed a 7am shuttle to the airport the following morning. The driver was not there. A security guard getting off duty drove us to the airport. Kudos to him. the desk clerk at 6:45 pm on the 20th should be reprimanded.

I m not sure I would do a second round.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

more customer service and partrolong to hold the noise down.

I only wanted two more pillows and was blown off with a lame excuse. other than the the unbearable noise in to parking lot the stay was ok.

Good location, clean property, good breakfast, but staff was not very friendly.

The second queen bed was literally pushed to the window and air-conditioning unit. You could not walk on that side of the bed. Only two towels and we had four in the room.

The room was super clean and the breakfast was great. Close to ASU so that was helpful for our plans.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Close to ASU and clean and comfy.

Apparently the hotel has a new computer system. So we were given the key to our room and walked in on a whole family already booked in that room. Super awkward and the family was very concerned obviously. The staff switched our room immediately, and apologized, and I know mistakes happen.

The beds were super comfy and the air conditioner worked well. The toiletries and towels were nice too.

Comfortable!
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

I enjoyed my stay no dislikes.

I like the soft beds and pillows ! Breakfast was good. Staff was also great . The Ac was in the bedroom and the living very well needed during my stay . The price for the rooms was also great 💕

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

I'd come back cause we love the place and dc the comfort off the rooms, but not again after that
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

The breakfast. The burritos could have been cooked different, the orange juice was going sour, as well as the cranberry and apple juice were SO watered down they hardly tested like what they were. The last time we stayed in May, the food was amazing, but that was a weekend, that is what I was guessing the difference was, but still the food served should not be nasty just cause it's a weekday!

Beds were comfortable, room was large and had all the ammenities. Clean place e'll the way around.

overall Diana, Reyna, and Victoria made our stay better thank you ladys
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

our sheets were dirty in both beds and sofa sleeper.

a very friendly facility, diana at front dest awsome. Reyna in breakfast great service. Victoria house keeping did a great job in our room. thank you all

If you are considering this property, please make sure that there is nothing else available first.

Um, everything could have been better. The property needs attention and the rooms need attention. If they would invest as much effort in the upkeep of the property and the rooms like they do the landscaping, this place would be much better. If you have a physical disability, you want to ensure that you get a ground level room, as you will not be able to maneuver around the corners when you get off of the elevator, especially if you are in a wheelchair. This is not the best hotel for people with disabilities. This place is really not worth the money you spend. I learned my lesson and will pay a little bit extra to stay at the hotel next door or the one's that are a little bit further up on Scottsdale/Rural roads. Do yourself a favor and do the same!

The shower was hot and had great water pressure.

• Junior Suite with King Bed

Housekeeping did not get to our room in a timely manner. We didn't get our room cleaned once, by the time they showed up it was late late afternoon.

Location. Staff is friendly.

Reasonable prices. ..

Kingsize bed was the best... Christian, front desk was the best ...quiet, freeway close for getting around... shopping close...ASU down the street. ..

Pretty solid place to stay, just make sure you go in to the right front desk.

There were a bunch of spiders under all the stairs. How did I notice them? One bit me on the arm on my way down the stairs. That wasn't great.

The breakfast and breakfast staff were more than your average hotel breakfast. It was actually pretty good! I'd definitely come back.

the room was great!
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

the room was great! spacious and just what we wanted. comfortable furniture, we got the king suite and both rooms had tvs. the breakfast was good no complaints. the only weird thing was my wifes phone was stolen from the patio, not the hotels fault but still weird.

Location and ease of entering and exiting the property.
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

The jet noise from the airport. The aircraft were both in and out depending on the time of day just south of the property. It wasn’t terrible but a little extra noise canceling insulation would help to keep the room quieter.

Location and ease of entering and exiting the property.

Not the best; wouldn't stay again or recommend.
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

Walls are very thin, can hear neighbors and street noise perfectly. It's age is starting to show-mold, ripped furniture, mismatched appliances, squeaky doors. Staff was somewhat unhelpful (inexperienced?). VERY noisy area-street racing on Scottsdale Rd. all night Saturday!! Trashy area-adult store and smoke shop are closest stores.

Rooms were clean and comfortable.

I enjoyed my stay there, the room was so clean and cool! The staff was real friendly! Thank you.

The room fridge did not work; the light was on but that was it. Some of my other friend's that stayed there, their's was not working either. Only the friends that rented the "suite" room, fridge did work.

I did not have a chance to do so.

I loved everything at Red Lion Inn. I will definitely stay here again & would recommend it.
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

I can't think of anything that I didn't like.

I loved everything about the room. It was very comfortable & clean. The breakfast area was great & the food & coffee was amazing. Loved it.

Not Scottsdale, Tempe; but room was quite nice.
    • King Suite - Disability Access

Room service from outside service so-so. Breakfast foods s disappointment -- need hot sausage, bacon, eggs.

Handicapped parking spot close to room -- bonus!

Would not come back, nor recommend to others!
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

The toilet in our room got clogged up at night. We called the front desk for help. They brought us a plunger and asked us to open the clogged toilet ourselves. It seems like their costumer service is as bad as their plumbing. In addition, when we complained about this incident at check out it didn't seem to bother anyone. This gave me the impression that this wasn't the first time this has happened to them...

Great place to stay! No problems at all!

I didn't have anything about your facility that I didn't like.

I was not expecting the room I got, and LOVED it. Beautiful room, amenities were great, the grounds were very clean and well kept.

Hotel was very good, but nothing to do in walking distance. They do have a complementary shuttle.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The only thing I didn't like was the location. It was safe and quiet, but there was NOTHING to do in walking distance - I had to Uber or drive for everything - and, that was something that I didn't like. It would be great if there were restaurants or bars closer to the hotel. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay. They do have a shuttle that will take you within 3 miles of the hotel; that was very nice and it is complementary - no pay (I did tip the driver).

I liked the stay because the hotel was very quiet, well maintained, and clean. The breakfast was popular, although I don't usually eat breakfast. Nice pool area too.

Pleasant sta
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

No bar. Breakfast was just dull normal.

Super clean. Rooms nicely appointed. Kitchenette large enough to work for an extended stay. Pleasant van drivers. Even had night light in bathroom.

It was just ok
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

If you walked across the carpet in the room barefoot your feet were black. There was a transit sleeping outside in the foot court. When she was awakened she kick over the garbage

Not worth the money

Horrible
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

We didn't get the room we booked. They were going to give us a king with a sofa bed even though there were 3 adults and one child. They gave us a TINY room with two queen beds when we had reserved a junior suite. The air conditioner was 6 inches from my face. After several complaints involving calling the manager at home they comped us a second room. Very unsatisfactory stay!

They bed was comfortable

Ok, we usually stay in Marriott’s and will stay with Marriott

Room was not layout very well. The coffee pot at one end of room and cups at the other end. Carpet was dirty. If you walked barefoot across the floor your feet were black. The bed was so high off the floor you almost needed a stool to step on to get in bed.

We had a nice time in Phoenix watching ball games. This hotel served us well.

Hotels in Phoenix in March are outrageously expensive. This one cost half again what it should have given the quality, but the location and season made it rather spendy. It was, however, a bargain compared to what else was out there.

Breakfasts were varied, and decent considering the style. Rooms were clean and moderately spacious. Pool was clean and good sized. Ample parking. Stores and restuarants nearby. Easy access from the highway. Very pet friendly.

Comfortable, relaxing
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

Website did not specify no cash transactions allowed. I mostly use cash when traveling so i had to run to a store to load a pre paid debit card.

Location is close to many entertainment destinations

good location ..convenient
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

shower head nearly unusable more like garden hose without a nozzle ... gasket seals around entry door broken or missing, front building gets lots of road noise .. I'll ask for a rear unit next time.

Nice staff, good breakfast, comfortable beds, conveniently located and nice suite layout

Located close to Old Town Scottsdale and the spring training ballparks. Great location and value
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

The room was cleaned early by the housekeeping staff. The room was very clean. Nice darkening blinds. The breakfast they offered a variety from cold cereal, fresh fruit,to eggs, bacon, English muffins, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, and waffles. It was all fresh and delicious

Great visit. Hotel has a small resort type feel.

Beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. Housekeeping staff were friendly and prompt and did a great job. Breakfast variety was really good too! The kids loved the pool and it was clean!

Good value

Did not appreciate the BNSF crews in the parking lot running their trucks at 5:30AM. But I would not consider that the hotel's fault.

The staff was friendly and professional. The bed was comfortable, the room good size.

Overall enjoyable stay.

The cleanness of the rooms and restrooms serving the main Lobby. The room size.

I liked the location. The breakfast was great. Staff members are friendly. Parking is spacious.

Not expected chain hotel to be so nice!
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

You do the airplanes in that area of Phoenix. We did not mind as we wanted to be in the Scotsdale area

We had a junior suite: Very comfortable and spacious. Friendly staff. Nice setup of the hotel in general (small green courtyards etc.). We felt very comfortable, given this being actually "just" a chain hotel.

The personnel at check in should wear a uniform. The guy at checkout didn’t look professional.

The room didn’t have a microwave. In the picture it looked like there was one. The room was very tight. Do you really need that big desk? There was only one towel in the room and no hand towels or wash cloths.

The bed was comfortable

Would cone back but not during spring training

The refrigerator froze over and u cannot keep anything in it. We had to eat breakfast Out because these included breakfasts r all the same and mostly inedible.

Bed was king sized and comfortable- high though and a bit hard to get into

Would stay here again
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

Air conditioner in sitting room was a little loud. Room was right next to a main road and traffic was loud.

Room was great. Breakfast was what I would expect.

Cramped room and not a great value especially when resort fees are tacked on

The room was already cramped and the desk chair arms were too high to fit under the desk which made it worse. The bathtub drain was rusty and the water pressure was low. Compared to 3 other hotels I stayed in during this trip this hotel was the least value for the money (but it's in Scottsdale right?)

The airport shuttle and the convenience to the rental car place across the street

Other then your breakfast very good

Breakfast serving not early enough. Booked hotel for the breakfast to find out it’s served to late in morning. Didn’t get to enjoy not one day of breakfast!

It was very lovely.

Room a little on small side.

The bed was great. The pillows were ok, I usually travel with my own but decided not to this time. Great breakfast. Nice that there a BBQs if you want to use them. Lots of things to do in and around the area. People were really pleasant. Ladies were nice that were getting the food. If the weather would have been warmer we would have eaten outside. It is a lovely area.

Hidden fees

There were costs charged that we were not aware of when we booked the room. What we paid was not the same as the price quote on booking.com. Hidden hotel fees?

Very comfortable

Nice room, quiet area mostly, beautiful evening sky

Two double beds would have fit better in this room. It was a little difficult to squeeze between bed and bathroom wall. Room layout was a little weird, but it sufficed nicely.

The food was great for breakfast, a wide selection. The room smelled and looked very clean, beds were comfortable. Loved the 3 different courts with lots of unique sitting area. Very nice

We were gone all day and just used the room for sleeping . Quite comfortable.

2 separate sink and shower/toilet areas. Our bathroom/shower shld have had a table or something to put your clothes on while showering... all the soaps were on the sink side...not convenient for showering.

Loved the breakfast, staff super nice and very helpful!!! This is my number 1 need "service" I would stay there just for that. Location was also great. We didn't use the property shuttle service.

Started out bad when I got there - manager made it better by giving me a small credit for problems.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

Got there at 2:30 in the afternoon - a room was not ready till 5:00 - had to wait in the lobby till a room was cleaned. Clerk at desk stated that he could not help it because " you booked through a third party" ? Why would booking through Booking .com at a discounted rate affect my room status? I did complain to the general manager and she did give me a credit on my bill which was good. The breakfasts provided were poor - had hard "scrambled eggs" - very poor cooking. The new manager was very nice / professional - just needs to fix room cleaning delays and breakfast problems.

Room was old -but OK

enjoyed our stay very much.

everything was great

rooms were nice and clean, bed was very good, its a very good place to stay if you fly out. They have a large yard for parking is very safe, we have parked their a few times in the last few years.

Really great value.
    • Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

Bathroom needed updating.

Location, felt safe. Staff friendly-Diana great at check out. Breakfast good. Location perfect for seeing family. Loved little apartment.

Though I’ve stayed at luxurious resorts in Phoenix area, this above average inn surpassed them.

The breakfast could have had more healthy options, however it was still excellent.

We loved everything from the hot tub and the pool to the gas grills and the exercise room. The staff was beyond excellent.

We had awesome service from the staff and the room was great value.

The property and the room were immaculate. The breakfast in the morning was awesome. Real eggs and sausage. Waffles were also available. This was great value for the price.

Short and sweet...Nice hotel and amenities.

The room layout was awkward. The bathroom was right beside one of the beds. You had to walk around the bed to get to the bathroom, then walk around the corner to wash your hands at the sink. Not a good layout at all.

The property was very clean. The staff was friendly. Liked the small putting area on the property. The outside seating areas were fabulous!

This is a decent place to stay and is fairly well managed still had issues
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

Staff wasn't all that friendly a master extra pillows didn't receive pillows during the entire stay parking was minimal

The breakfast was good in the Room was clean when we got there

Great place for a weekend stay if you are in Tempe/Scottsdale area.

I can't think of anything, it was a great place to stay.

I stayed in one of their king size beds and it was really comfortable. The room was very clean. The hot tub and pool were very clean and well maintained. The breakfast bar was really good. My daughter loved their home fries.

comfortable stay
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

more healthy cereals at breakfast like muesli need sign to tell guests where to put pool towels some staff a bit cold lot of groups so you need to watch when to go in the pool

fruit at breakfast not far from bus stop pool and jacuzzi

Okay.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Had issues with people who stayed at this hotel; I had to be moved 3 times. Unsavory people walking around the area during the day and night.

The beds are comfortable. The breakfast was decent but they had the same items each day (it got boring). The maids were very nice and a couple of the ladies up front were very kind.

Very good to stay a couple of nights in Phoenix.

Breakfast could of been better.

The pool was great. We had a problem with the toilet in our first room so they changed us straight away to another room.

Family friendly, budget friendly, super clean rooms and great property. Excellent stay!
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

The area in the very late evening/early mornings can be a bit shady. As a mother traveling alone with just her child, I would have felt a little less nervous at 2:00 am gathering my things out of the car and heading to my room if there was a security guard patrolling the area at that hour.

My son enjoyed the omelettes at breakfast. The amenities were great, the rooms were very clean and the toiletries were a very nice touch. The room was large and the beds, super comfy. I told a few of the families that also traveled to AZ for the weekend that this was a great place to stay and the price was great. We will stay again.

Would not stay at a Red Lion and Suites again.
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

The bed was uncomfortable, they didn't provide extra blankets for the fold out couch, there were stray cats around the property, strange guests and a lot of airport noise.

The complimentary hot breakfast was the only thing I liked about our stay.

Everything was wonderful for our family and it definitely is...
    • Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

There really isn't anything I could complain about! Great job!

Everything was wonderful for our family and it definitely is a place we will stay at again! Also the staff was amazing!

Red Lion Rocks!

I don't like that there is any charge on your credit card...a hold that falls off within 3-5 business days. Hopefully it does (we will see). When you travel with a secure, loaded credit card it takes up some of your avail spending budget

The rooms are super clean

Pool was great.

Breakfast could have been better.

Pool was great. Our room was located next to the pool. Room was clean and the bed was nice. Wifi also worked very well and was free of costs.

Wonderful Hotel 😀

They usually have a very delicious breakfast, but more variety in main dishes and cereal would make it even better!!

This hotel is excellent. My son loves the swimming pool there! The rooms are spacious and always clean! We usually get a hotel room right by the putting green! It is a very pet and family friendly hotel! Our go to!!

close to Mill Avenue in Tempe and Papago park, variety of...

On site restaurant would have been nice.

close to Mill Avenue in Tempe and Papago park, variety of breakfast foods, free airport shuttle. Updated facilities, clean, spacious room. Polite staff. Fast wi fi connection. Overall, great value for the money I paid.

Stay here, you won't regret it

Excellent property throughout - very clean and spacious. The bed was luxurious and comfortable. The size of the bathroom was probably twice the size of your standard hotel bathroom and again, clean and bright. We got to this property by car but we did see their shuttle and overheard the receptionist say it would pick a guest from the airport in 15-20 minutes. Hot breakfast was a welcomed bonus (no sausage or bacon on the side, but the omelettes had chunks of ham inside). Their coffee was also surprisingly good and fresh. I could keep listing this hotel's values, but it is better to experience it in person. Would definitely stay at Red Lion again.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Amazing find

Great staff, nothing was a problem, we were given loads of info on surrounding areas, places to eat etc. They even offered to help us return our car to the airport the night before and shuttle us into the airport the next day all free of charge. Lovely outdoor seating areas here to.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

My Go-To Hotel!!!
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Everything was perfect! I wish my vacation would have been longer!!!

The staff was amazing from the moment we walked through the doors!! They helped us out with so many things throughout our stay. The cleanliness of the room is unlike any I have stayed in before. I felt so comfortable in the room.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Awesome!

Nothing that we were aware of.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Nice pool, friendly employees. Very clean. Good breakfast. Would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

The mattress was exceptional, felt like my personal cocoon...

Really!! There was nothing I didn't like.

The mattress was exceptional, felt like my personal cocoon and the staff was very friendly and helpful. There was a feeling of happiness everywhere. It seemed like all the visitors were happy and it became contagious.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

An oasis in Phoenix

The room with the king-sized bed is a bit small with limited space to put luggage. Another luggage rack would make it better for two people sharing.

From the moment you arrive and see the sparkling fountain, the flowering shrubs and cacti, the friendly and helpful staff make you feel that you are an important and welcome guest. The rooms are comfortable and well-appointed and the included breakfast is much better than average with hot entrees that change from day to day.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

You get more than your moneys worth.

The surrounding neighborhood was not great.

The shuttle and it's driver were helpful and friendly. Staff at the desk were helpful as well. Good overall value.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

ASU visit as a potential college

One bed did not have correct size sheet that kept sliding up onto bed, even after we had room service come to clean and make up room. Box spring on one of 2 queen beds needs replacement as it made large spring creaking noise when lying on bed and turning side to side. Height of bed not standard and may be high for some. Tub clean but needs resurface at bottom from wear. Fruit Salad at breakfast tasted pre-packaged and fishy...it was unpalatable.

The small fridge in the room is great! Front desk was accommodating for the room change and helpful. Breakfast was adequate and they made effort to change hot items each day so it offered variety. Not far from ASU. Overall, clean place and good stay.

From Camper to Comfort

After 4 days hiking AZ, the Red Lion was a sight for sore eyes! Loved the putting green! The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast area was welcoming with both inside and outside seating. The omelettes were delicious! The king size bed was fluffy and cozy. Wendy Battaglia, Chicago

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

STAY HERE!!
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Bathtub needs a little TLC - was clean but damaged so it "looks"'dirty.

BEST Bed /pillow combination for the best sleep I've had in 6 weeks!! Felt like I was in a tropical resort!!!! ❤