Reviews of Red Roof Inn Lansing West - MSU 2 stars

7412 West Saginaw Highway, Lansing, MI 48917, USA

#11 of 17 hotels in Lansing

We were just glad to get a room.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Our room had a funny smell. We got the last room so not able to switch. It was s big sports weekend so not really the hotels fault.

We were just glad to get a room.okay stsu

We will not be back
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Lights in the room did not work. Bedding was dirty, blood stains as a matter of fact, room smelled like an ashtray, batteries in the remote didn’t work, we saw spiders and various bugs throughout the room, should I go on?

The staff was exceptionally helpful

Terrible very uncomfortable,the staff gave me a 15% coupon for a future stay. No thank you!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Property/room wasn’t clean, stains on sheets, floor, toilet was dirty as well as the shower, a/c unit following. I slept on towels and not under the covers sad!

I didn’t like anything about my stay.

Nothing really just tried to get through the night and get...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room smelled so Badly of smoke and the people loitering outside was scary at times. I think people live there full time.

Nothing really just tried to get through the night and get out.

Our first room smelled like smoke and when we called down to...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

First room smelled like smoke

Our first room smelled like smoke and when we called down to the front desk she was so awesome and upgraded us to a different room for free.

Staff nice, room clean, bed comfortable, I will come back again.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the fact that there isn't a microwave in the room. I had requested extra pillows, none were available.

I liked that when I needed a microwave I was able to take my food down to the front desk for them to heat it for me.

It was ok
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds were very uncomfortable, pillows were flat. I didn’t sleep well at all. There were people outside talking really loud in middle of the night and woke me up.

The room was clean and the staff was very nice I ended not...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was a little small and the door was hard to get open. The ice machine did not work and everything was 'for sale', nothing really complimentary.

The room was clean and the staff was very nice I ended not staying as long as I intended to and the staff was very helpful and willing to process the refund. Great place for last minute or last resort

You get what you pay for.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Inspect your rooms for cigarette smells and address it. It's 2018 ffs...not 1986.

The room stank like a ash tray. So powerful I couldn't sleep. Pillows flatten to a pancake. Shower head leaked and had little pressure. Nice staff though.

Ease of access to my destination.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Getting my car hit in the parking lot. People catcalling me from the upper balcony, broken furniture in the room,no way to cool the room. 70 is too warm for me

Ease of access to my destination. Cost of the stay. Helpfulness of the staff...they were kind and enthusiastic, and proud of their hotel. Awesome water pressure for the a.m. shower.

Best value in town for a clean, quiet room.

bigger pillows for sure.

Ive stayed at a lot of different hotels in Lansing and this one isn't bad at all...I will be staying here from now on. The rooms seem to be renovated and updated. bed was comfy but the pillows could be bigger. Water pressure was great, room was clean, staff was friendly and I liked how the hotel was far back from the main road, very quiet. Compared to other hotels in the area, best value. id pay 50 a night here no problem...compared to close to 100 anywhere else. recommended.

Not as expected
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

One thing it's location is very noisy,no pool,no breakfast. I enjoyed nothing

Ur reviews were not how I found my accommodations. I've lived & learned,never again using ur service,& never again RED ROOF DUMP

Enjoyed being so close to restaurant, with in walking...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The drive was difficult to see from the road and there was only one way in (pro and con).

Enjoyed being so close to restaurant, with in walking distance. The staff was very helpful and cheerful in all interactions and quick to accommodate when asked.

Not bad, for the money
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There was a very odd smell in the room when first entering, learned later that it was coming from the AC/Heater. Very old kind of smell, after being in the room for a few minutes wasn’t too noticeable or unpleasant. The unit looked like it should be replaced or even cleaned very soon. King bed sufficed, not bad for the money.

Right by the highway and plenty of dining options in the area.

Overall the stay was nice.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Had to go to the lobby to heat up food , no refrigerator. Didn't like the bugs, however the clerk did give us a can of spray.

There was no eggs, the bed was comfortable, the shower felt good. There need to be microwaves and a refrigerator in every room.

Extremely nice property for the cost. Definitly worth the money
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bed was very comfortable and the in room complementary coffee. Great value for the price. The rooms was clean and well kept. Hotel staff very friendly and attentive.

I won't be back
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Being woken up multiple times through the night by car horns, alarms going off because some idiot was working on his vehicle. My daughter missed her morning workout because she wasn't able to get any sleep. I was told a manager would call me, they never did. I received no financial compensation for the night we weren't able to sleep.

Staff was friendly.

Good place to break up my drive to Toronto.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Wish I would have had a ground floor room. It was okay, but sometimes stairs are getting to be a little much for me. Time, gravity, and Arthur always win.

Bed was very comfortable. Desk staff was super pleasant. I took a couple of McIntosh apples for the road. Mm-mm! Thanks.

We enjoy this site and will definitely return.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

With the price of the room it would have been more convenient for us to have a fridge and microwave without an additional $10 daily charge for each.

We were very comfortable and the facility was in close proximity to people/places we wanted to visit. Having Horrocks as a close neighbor was a definite plus since no breakfast was provided.

It was a place to rest our heads, but not our favorite.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Location was behind the BurgerKing (harder to find at night), no hair dryer or fridge. Bathroom was tight to get into and we aren't big people.

Bed was comfy, there was a vacancy during a busy time. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable.

nothings was wonderful to make this experience good except...
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The police were called to the site as we were checking in.

nothings was wonderful to make this experience good except the price and location. Next time we will pay more and get something we actually are comfortabe in. We will never book Red Roof again.

Wow
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was my first stay at a Redroof Inn. I enjoyed the value price.

The front staff was great and friendly. I ended up having an issue with the toilet leaking but the staff gave me discounts for future stays and fixed it right away.

Great price, clean, comfortable and staff was incredibly kind. Don't let the exteriror
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The outside is deceiving. It's an older hotel but this is only at first glance. Personally I don't like East Lansing where the hotel is located but that's not the hotel's fault. The Wifi is unsecured so it is really tough to stay connected.

Rooms were fresh with updated paint, carpet, flooring, linens and lighting. You can tell it's an old hotel from the outside but the rooms are very nice, clean comfortable and quiet. Also the cleaning staff was prompt and thorough. I wasn't left without clean towels and linens.

Requested a non smoking room, it smelled awful of smoke.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Requested a non smoking room, it smelled awful of smoke. My main problem with this location is all of the pets. We are a family with children who have allergies. We do not own dogs and literally saw atleast 15 different dogs going in and out of rooms,barking all night and pooping on the grass everywhere. These were huge dogs , German shepherds all over the place. It was loud and disgusting. If you are a pet lover this place would be great . If you are not prepare to run into animals at every turn. The parking was not very good either... we will never return to this location.

Great place to Stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I was on the second floor...so had to carry the luggage up the stairs. That was really the only drawback to the hotel.

The hotel was easy to find after a long day of driving on the interstate. Room was clean and had all the basic amenities. Would definitely stay here again when passing that way.

You get what you pay for
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed was stiff, towels were scratchy, air con/heat was loud, tiny bathroom space set up, bedding was thin & not comfy. Though this was expected for the price, just noticing improvements that could be considered if the location was interested.

Price, location, check out time, parking.

Want a good nite's stay? Do not book at a Red Roof Inn.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was not cleaned or even entered the first day we were there ... expected at least a new supply of coffee pods. The internet/wifi was nearly non-existent. When you were able to finally bring it up, it was intermittent ... was there sometimes and then disappeared. The wifi reading stated that internet service was "poor" and that was an understatement. In this era of technology, it is expected to have good internet service available. Was disappointed there was no continental breakfast of any sort ... only a bowl of fruit was set out. The first nite was short as our plane came in after midnite ... and then we endured two more nites. We had originally planned on staying a week, but we cancelled the remaining nites and moved to Comfort Inn where we had a very enjoyable stay. Do not plan on ever staying at a Red Roof Inn again.

The apologetic staff ... Jessica did her best to make us happy.

Awesome as always
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The beds are always comfortable, clean rooms, staff is wonderful and the area is awesome because its located by gas stations, 24 hr eating, bars and 15 mins from the Lansing mall. The price is awesome as always.

Room was clean, comfortable, attractive.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I HATED having to climb stairs to the second floor. No elevator. I checked in before 3pm and didn't expect a problem getting a 1st floor room, but I was wrong!

Room was clean, comfortable, attractive.

We requested a recliner for my partner that has a disability...
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

We requested a recliner for my partner that has a disability, he needs it to sleep in.and they did not bother to tell us they couldn't provide one, had they told us in advance we would have went elsewhere.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Wasn't the best place I've stayed by a long shot.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They have motion sensors on the room lights. This is good for the overhead lights but not the lights or the headboard. Once you good to bed & the sensor shuts off, you can't turn the lights on over the headboard with out getting out of bed & pushing the button on the sensor by the room door. And the hot water was malfunctioning in the morning, had to take an ice cold shower. They don't have breakfast there, but they did have fruit & coffee.

Location, desk clerk, parking, bed, bathroom

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Glad we only had to spend one night. Never go there again! Just a glorified truck stop motel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Building needed to be torn down and rebuilt. It had people walking up and down right outside your window/door and loud trucks with backup noises going off. Entrance drive was filled with deep, dangerous potholes. No lotions or other niceties - just a shampoo and a small packet of tissues. The towels were scratchy, the bed very, very lumpy! Could smell smoke from past years in the pillows. The owners were pleasant, but it didn't make up for the hairy bed and lack of privacy and quiet.

It was relatively clean - at least the second room was. We had to be moved from that one because it had hair in the bed and eye makeup on the pillowcase................ They tried to tell us that sometimes hair sticks to the blankets when they are washed - but the blanket wasn't touching the sheets - this was in between the sheets.

Inexpensive hotel, but you get what you pay for.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms were in poor keep. There was damage to the bathtub, although it did not impair the use of it. There were bare amenities, two bars of soap, and towels. Wifi was not included with the room, and cost extra. The wifi code only lasted a night, and we had to re-purchase a code the second night.

The room was cheep, and it had a bed.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Comy great value
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

If you would of had continental breakfast some of the different sites you were listed on said you had it others didnt.

Easy check in she already had the reservation up. Room was clean, bed was so comfy, my husband loved the desk they had perfect for playing cards. Building was pretty full from the parking lot but you could not heAR anyone else.

Loved it
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

To be completely honest with you there is nothing that I did not like however it was very packed I chose a busy weekend

Is soon as I walked in there was fresh cookies and the staff was right there friendly to greet me. They let me know about the breakfast times and the free Wi-Fi and the free parking also my dog was allowed to stay for free I have a pitbull and that was not a problem .

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

I didn't walk the property so I couldn't really give the neighborhood a rating
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel was great for the price! Staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. We felt safe and felt our vehicle was safe and secure in the parking lot.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Pretty good with a few quirks
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like that there was a hole in a wash cloth, they didn't clean on top of the photos and head board, there was a cigarette burn in the bedding and a pice of the door was taken out so that it wouldn't hit the toilet 😂

I liked the way the room looked.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

I didn't get to have breakfast I'm sure it was good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I thought they would have a Minnie frigderator. I have a diesel truck it would have been nice to plug my truck in.

I didn't get to have breakfast I'm sure it was good. The rooms looked clean,and the staff was great

Excellent room
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I need the internet for work. The desk clerk actually came to our room to help us and even moved us to a new room with better WiFi! Our internet now is faster than home!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Fortunately, we were only there to overnight between a lecture at Wharton Center and a football game
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

At some time in the past, the room was a smoking room. It smells like it. It also has a musty smell. Abatement of some kind might be good. The carpet outside the bathroom was damp and there was standing water on the bathroom floor. I don't want to know why. When we reported the problem, we were given a discount coupon on our next Red Roof stay (which isn't likely to be soon).

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Quiet But Could Be Different During College Football Games
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Trucks should park in a different area easy for accident when trucks back up where we park our cars. Agree ashtrays would be nice outside rooms so us smokers don't liter your parking lot

Niki the desk clerk was top notch. She made our stay rememerable and because she went out of the norm to answer all our questions including ones that had nothing to do with the hotel we will be back!

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Well worth what we paid.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

When my daughter and I walked into our room it was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. We would definitely stay there again.

The place has turned into a dump
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

This place has turned into a dump. It took 3 rooms before I was able to settle in. Stinky rooms, wet carpet that smelled like piss. This is certainly a disappointment to me because it is so close to where I go when in town and I have stayed there ever since it opened. I think a new manager may be needed here. This is ridiculous,

The staff was very helpful

Average minus
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms seemed damp and musty. Carpet felt damp. We were traveling with another couple and their room was the same. King size rooms with only 1 regular and 1 decaf coffee pod in the room? 2 of each would have been more fitting for a room with a king size bed.

I like that the hotel was close to the highway.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I wanted a no-smoking room. The room I received (and upgraded to) smelled like an ashtray. The undesirables wandering around the parking lot - arguing/fighting and ultimately leading to an arrest at 330am.

I like that the hotel was close to the highway.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

The reservation and the sticker on the door said smoke free...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The reservation and the sticker on the door said smoke free and 100% smoke free???we were blown away by the smell of smoke as soon as we walked in the door???it smelled as if someone had been smoking in the room just prior to us entering. The floors were filthy. The top of my sons feet were black from just crawling on the floor. there is no blow dryer in the room, and no wifi access, and the last day we were there I found a roach in the bathroom. Not impressed.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

The location gave easy access to the Michigan State...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The door of my room could not be properly secured. The Room Smelled of Cigarette smoke even though it was a non-smoking room. the carpet was a trip hazard. The floor was spongy. The Bedding was filled with cigarette burns. The Air Conditioning was loud and barely adequate. The towel rack was broken and had sharp metal edges that could cut someone.

The location gave easy access to the Michigan State University Campus

People talk out on the balcony all times of the night and keep you awake Probably won’t stay the
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Noise People talk out on the balcony all times of the night and keep you awake

I've been to RedRoof Inn before. I was not disappointed

No complaints.

More than one coffee in room. Otherwise it was very nice.

It smelled like urine

It smelled like urine

Nice
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No microwave in every room.

The room was nice for the price.

Was a great stay...see you next time
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Stayed there before,it's just a good spot for me,clean,efficient and right along my rout,and the night clerk is sweet...Ole Red.

A nice place to stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The night staff was very friendly. Close to stores and restaurants. Would stay again

Good

Internet

All

It was OK
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Small area and weird smell.

Bed was very comfortable.

Will not stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Shady neighborhood. I was very uncomfortable staying with my young children there without my husband present.

The room smelled badly.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room smelled badly. Air conditioner smelled badly

Easy access to freewY

Loud guests. Did not feel clean. Older facility

Easy access to freewY

I didnt need the room and was charged.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I didnt need the room and was charged. Wasn't happy but I never stayed at hotel.

it was okay for the price, liked sink outside the bathroom
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

did not smell fresh, odor was like it was previously a smoking room

it was okay for the price, liked sink outside the bathroom

Close to Horrocks

Close to Horrocks

Smoke smell in the rooms was terrible.

Smoke smell in the rooms was terrible. Kids couldn’t fall asleep

Great stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Toilet and shower weren't great

People at check in and out were extremely kind and helpful. Room was clean.

Cheap stay.

Property needs renovation.

Price

Great location for short trips
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Cleaning was below average, covering only the basics. Cleaning personnel also showed up at inconvenient times.

Good location, facilities and amenities

Barely adequate

No microwave, no refrigerator,

It was terrible, got up early and got out of there.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was dirty, it smelled and if we had any other choice we would have left.

Nothing! It was dirty, it smelled, it was awful.

Where it was located.

No breakfast area

Where it was located.close to traffic but pushed back off the road.

Staff was fine
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Set-up of room. Smell of smoke even though whole place is supposed to be non-smoking.

Staff was fine

Staff is helpful and friendly.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Mattress could be improved.

Staff is helpful and friendly.

Plan to return.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Quite location. Bed was very comfortable. Good location for eating in restaurants.

The rooms are in need of remodeling.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Remodel, freshen up, bring rooms up to date.

The rooms are in need of remodeling. Rooms are very old and dated.

The lady at the front desk was amazing and very friendly...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The lady at the front desk was amazing and very friendly come again just for her

The staff was wonderful
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No breakfast and the mattress was not comfortable

The staff was wonderful

Reserved the room for 2 nights but only stayed 1. Was not satisfied at all.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom was not cleaned and room smelled of smoke upon entry.