Reviews of Red Roof Inn PLUS+ University at Buffalo - Amherst 2 stars

42 Flint Road, Amherst, NY 14226, USA

#11 of 17 hotels in Amherst

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I asked for a ground floor, a microwave and a refridgerator... none of my requests were respected. I would have upgraded if I had known

The inn is clean comfortable and well maintained.. The staff is extra helpful and always pleasant.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Hair dryer in the room would have been a bonus. Shampoo and conditioner, shower cap would have been a bonus. I see these as basic

Very clean, very pleasant staff. No issues with our stay. Good value for the money.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Check in staff very attentive and professional.Manager was very attentive to her staff and the customers too. Our room was much cleaner than our last stay in September and the room attendant was polite and positive. The grounds were nicely manicured and clean! There was a definite change(positive) in the overall appearance,cleanliness,and staff. Thanks for a pleasurable stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I specifically ask for a quiet room, the checkin staff gave me a room above the office, then gave me a room that the keys won't work. Had to go back to the office again, so a short check in took us 20 min. & several trips up & down the stairs to get it right, when we were the only guests checking in. The room is clean & beds comfortable but bare minimal, NO hair dryer, very little toiletries, feel like they are trying to save money.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The gentleman who checked me in on the evening of my arrival was fantastic - he far exceeded my expectations and extended himself to ensure I would have a great stay. However, no one showed up for work at the Front Desk on my departure day - guests and Maintenance Personnel were locked out of the office, and I had to return later in the morning to check out.

Bed was extremely comfortable, nice TV, coffee maker, good room temperature control.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No breakfast, inconvenience for obese people,stains on the bed and sheets.

Bed was comfy but there was nothing to the pillows,could've used 6 to be comfy

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom was a little shaky and worn out.

Staff was super friendly and accommodating. Location was perfect and right across the street from U of B. Short drive to Niagara Falls.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Mentioned upon arrival that I may stay a second night, was not told till the morning that my room had already been reserved for someone else. Ended up staying somewhere else.

Absolutely no problems...

Gary in Buffalo was outstanding hope he gets recognized for his service very friendly and helpful made our stay very pleasant...

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

It was dirty and very loud. The room smelled very musty and damp. The heat didn't work properly. It was either freezing or 80°. I waited 25 minutes to check in because the customers in front of me had a problem with their bill and the front desk clerk didn't know how to fix it and no one else was available. Would not return.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

On demand movies could have been cheaper or some for free.

Great location. It was a UB tour. It was a great stay for the money. I stayed 3 nights. I had a superior king bed room and it cost us $54 with tax every night. Everyday housekeeping was great. Free water was great. Overall great stay for the money and location.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

My room had ants on the floor near the bathroom and vanity area. Staff was quick to move and upgrade my room. I just prefer a more upscale hotel. Good value for cost.

Friendly accomodaying staff. Inexpensive. Comfortable beds.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

When I noticed the room safe fee of $1.50, the paperwork stated it was optional. I told the desk clerk at check-in that I would not need the safe. I was told it would be removed from my bill right away. When I looked at my bill when I got home, I found the fee had not been removed after all. It's not enough to keep me from returning, but I will be inquiring on my next stay.

Price and location near to my work were both what I required. Pleasant and quiet rooms appreciated too.

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

Someone told me when i book they didnt have a premium room I got moved to because my heat didn't work overall I was very nice stay

Everything very clean n very nice staff

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Some people like loud bathroom fans for privacy, I prefer a quieter fan. The thermostat in the first room we tried was stuck on. The second room stayed at about 70 degrees F when the thermostat was set at 48. It took some effort to figure that out. The electric heaters made lots of loud clicking sounds. I suspect that some part got painted that shouldn't have.

Reasonable value for a low cost hotel. Staff promptly moved us to a different room, when thermostat was bad in first room. All we needed was a place to sleep and take a shower, we saved our money for activities away from the hotel. My siblings wanted space to gather, so they spent twice as much per night at a neighboring hotel with suites. We socialized at the much nicer hotel about 100 feet away.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I stayed here for a week, but my bed was only made up, the room wasn't clean properly, apparently they don't clean them if you stay for more than a day.....

Close to the university

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There was no coffee pot...

The staff were quite helpful and pleasant. D/t snowing satellite dish got covered with snow ..staff were very prompt with resolving the issue

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

No Coffee in the room you had to walk down to the office. They charged to rent the small safe that was already in the room (I've stayed at a lot of hotels and have never been charged).

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This taught me a lesson to read carefully when booking. The cheaper rate caught my eye, not realizing this did not include amenities typically offered in a room...refrigerator, coffee, hairdryer, breakfast. Not happy about lack of those common courtesies..although staff loaned me a hair dryer!Not enough pillows. Bathroom is tiny...barely room to turn around!

The staff were friendly and accomodating. Room was clean.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Noticed about a quarter inch of dust stuck to the red wall about the lights on the wall above where I was sleeping, with hand prints on them. AC cord was laying out on the floor, not really tucked away. I stepped on it a few times, it would need to be tied back towards the wall securely. Should have a map on back of door pointing out fire escape route and key points such as where the ice machine was (since there was no fridge in my room). That would have been very helpful. Wanted to stay another night, but no one would get back to me, so I booked elsewhere for less money.

Bed was so comfortable. Parked outside my door making it easy for me to unload and load my car. Quiet. Adjustable heater so I could be comfortable. Updated and more modern than most motels.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was a little small, but otherwise it was a decent room for the rate I paid.

It was quiet at the hotel and the pillows were comfortable. Surprisingly the best pillows I have had at a hotel chain.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pillows could have been more firm. ( we got to the room late didn't feel like calling the front desk for extra pillows, slept well regardless)

Nice size room and the beds were very comfortable. We all sleep very well after driving for 2 hours and shopping for 3!!

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very small and confining. Bed was very uncomfortable, felt like I was sleeping in a box. No small little table to sit at. Very disappointing.

Not much

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

no coffee pot, microwave, breakfast, no air conditioning, had to change rooms, still no air conditioning, no regular cream for coffee, had to go to office to ask for a hair dryer.

location, newspaper, directions to restaurants.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

I don't care for motel style hotels, but it was alright...

It's right on the UB campus which is its best feature, and it was close to $100 a night.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Checked into the room it was stale and you could tell it was dirty. Top covers stained. Pillows were crumpled out of shape obviously due to use. Carpet was dirty. Put a towel on the floor after shower and dragged it to the sink which is located out of the bathroom - black marks and dirt stains on white towel from the floor being poorly kept. The worst? Around 11:30am a man "housekeeping" was banging repeatedly on the door while I was showering. Kept saying no yet he opened the door while I had stepped out and almost came in while I was NAKED!!! Thank god the dead bold was on or he would have walked right in. Then again at 12:10pm I was finishing packing the rest of my things - he came back again and kept banging. Reminding me that the hotel check out is 12pm Really? Ten minutes?

Location wasn't not bad. On and off major highway. Lots of food options within walking distance.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I was surprised that refrigerators and hair dryers were considered upgrade items. You'll need to upgrade to Superior to get these basic amenities. The bed could have been a bit more comfortable.

The room was small but comfortable and very clean. Close parking and outside access mean quick in/out for business travels.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Their were group of men stay there as well not sure of the reason why they were there maybe a convention.There rooms was on the same floor as mines and next to mines which means they were all out drinkn and talkn loud and most of them were drunk. I didn't complain but stayed on alert. (just in case) The last night the ceiling fell I told the housekeeper who didn't speak english. Once check out I let the clerk know about the pieces of the plastic falling from the ceiling.

We came to see the FALL it was close. Thats was on points and the room was spacious and clean upon arrival.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I have been using this hotel since August 2015. It seems that the outside of the buildings are getting shabby. Parts of the overhang are crumbling and falling apart. I also requested 2 beds and they gave me 1 king. I am sure they would have changed that if I asked but we were already in the room and tired so we didn't.

Great location if you are going to University at Buffalo.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

AC was extremely old and noisy. Place did not look clean, a bed sheet was dumped in the parking lot when we arrived and it was there when we left.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room cleaning was too early for my liking.

The atmosphere was reasonably quiet. There was good dining nearby. The University at Buffalo was in walkable distance.

• Deluxe Room with Two Double Beds

The maids didn't clean . They only brought towels one time and didn't put any toilet paper in the room . I had to go out and purchase more because they didn't stock room. Floors were dirty and they didn't even make the beds.

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

There is no laundry room at the hotel but there is a laundry within a few minutes' drive

The room is clean, there is a free parking and Wi-Fi, there is a fridge and microwave. The staff are very kind. We accidentally made 2 orders through Booking and they canceled it at no charge. We'd love to come back again.

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

There were ants in the bathroom. The room was dusty and the coffee maker was dirty and sugar for the coffee was clumped like it's been there for years

No hand towel in the room, the surfaces were dusty, 2 little soaps in a room that sleep 4, only 2 towels in the room that can sleep 4. The rooms were not made the next day. The coffee was not all that good. I was not happy or the rest of the people who were there with me. The only good thing about this Red Roof is it's proximity to the University. Very pricey for the service that they provide.

The proximity to the University At Buffalo.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Dog barking for over half an hour. Young people outside and they were very very loud. Someone called the police. I called the front desk a number of times and no one answered the phone. I have stayed here before in the front of the hotel and it was nice and quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Amherst NY on 4/9/17. I've stayed at many inns and hotels and this one was despicable. There was a used sanitary napkin in the ice bucket. The pillow had lipstick stains on it and both sheets were filthy. One had huge stains and tons of hair littering it. The other had a dark brown stain on it. Additionally the door to the room was missing the security latch. We told the front desk who did not sound surprised but he did switch us to a new room. I also emailed their customer service line and they did refund the full amount of our stay. Either way, I do not plan on ever staying by them again. Unfortunately, Bookings does not allow one to select a rating, just a smile or sad face so it gave my rating a 2.5 even though I selected a sad face (the worse rating) for each option. I would not rate it higher than a 0.

there was nothing we liked

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Lacked ANY amenities. No fridge, no hair dryer, not even a bar of soap. Had to ask for towels both days. If I book a room for 3 adults and 1 child, don't leave me two towels the first night, and leave me zero towels the second.

Room was relatively newly remodeled

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

I was scheduled for a handicapped room (balance issues) but was put in a regular room. I managed in that plain room. Upon leaving I told the desk clerk what happened and she apologized for me not getting a handicapped room (which was scheduled). She was going to let the manager know. She took off the bill a charge for the most expensive day. The clerk was wonderful in handling the matter.

Room was clean.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

I think our room was between a couple of rooms that were friends and big night partiers, our sleep was interrupted several times through the night with loud voices and laughter.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

EVERYTHING

my customer service was horrendous, I had checked into my room and the beds were not made and there was ashes everywhere from the person that stayed in that room before i checked in also a garbage bag full of alcohol bottles and weed ashes and residue everywhere so i complained the lady switched my room and then said she would call to check on me and never did. upon entering my second room there were stains all over the bed and cheeto bags under the bed when i went to look for my charger that had fallen. just disgusting and also the door was not working right to any of the rooms i had stayed there about 15 days and could not wait to leave. I spent WAY to much money and the customer service was not good and the cleanliness was just unbelievable also the last night i was there there was an arrest made and i was woken up in the middle of the night .....not to mention it says it is smoke free and the room i was transfered too smelled like smoke and perfume......

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Room was very clean. I liked the outdoor layout with the staircases straight to your car. Better then being in a hotel and taking an elevator up and down to get somewhere.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

No coffee in room (available in office) Room was small & facility is "dated" - didn't bother me, but it might someone.

Staff outstanding and helpful! Wifi SUPER fast and reliable. Price & booking.com reservation made it EASY! Coffee in office was OUTSTANDING! Heat and cooling - EXCELLENT!

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Other guests having a huge fight at night. Swearing and screaming outside of rooms and staff did nothing.

Checked in to used linens on bed. We put used towels on floor and they put the same towels back up. Horrible housekeeping. Filthy hotel

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

At 9am someone opened my door with a key. I reported it to the front desk who said it was the maid but they didn't knock first or announce that it was maid service. Not happy with that. It front desk said they would take care of it.

Clean cheap hotel close to University at Buffalo.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

The entrance door kept opening.

I like the modern look to the rooms. The room provided a refrigerator and microwave. The room was clean and didn't have any oder to it, like a few other hotels.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Not much I didn't like...but if I had to pick something, it would be limited tv stations...but who goes to a hotel to watch tv?

Great value...at the off-season rates, it was less expensive than run-down dumps in the area and so much nicer. Bed was comfortable. Decor was modern. Wifi was great. Will definitely stay here again

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The mattress and pillows could've been a bit better. Took a while to get used to. We never got our room cleaned the cleaning staff always came when we were in the room. Would've appreciated knowing when they came, so we could've left before they stopped by. Had to call front desk to get towels delivered.

The room was great! Really surprised us when we walked in, looked just like the pictures. The heater worked, room was clean, room didn't smell. Tv was great- had good channels.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The bathroom's could use a little work. Change them so they match the decor of the room.

The king size bed was perfect. It was just right for my bad back. The room had a very nice decor. Good choice if colors.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The receptionist was below average. It felt as she was annoyed by the fact that we have reservation that we would like to get a key. It felt as I am interrupting her in something. No smile, no appreciation for the business. This should be called first of all a motel, not hotel ! the door comes straight on the parking or in upper level you can smell persons smoking in the common balcony. It is definitely not a hotel ! please rename it to motel !

The facilities were very clean. Room was clean. Room was very warm.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms could be cleaner. The beds are very small for doubles. I also think that every room should come with a coffee maker and a hair dryer. You have to get a deluxe to have these amenities.

The location is great, as is the price. The staff were nice as well.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There's no option of having breakfast at the Inn that would have been included in the package.

It was a convenient location for my commute in order to see my son. The staff was very hospitable and the room was well cleaned.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Shower curtain in bathroom didn't help keep any water in.

Bed was a perfect comfort level. I loved that the room had a modern look to it without an expensive price.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

No hairdryer. Thermostat on wall fell off so could not regulate heat. No ice bucket or ice. Night light in bath not working.just OK

Bed was comfortable. Towels fluffy

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I'm not sure if the sheet were clean. I always bring my own sheet because I not certain that every hotel change the sheets. We hope so, but we don't know.

Location and they are pet friendly

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

We called for extra towels & to see if they had spoons and forks and we were going to get them and he was already walking them down. Very clean,nice staff.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Cost more to pay for the breakfast through booking.com than paying at the site. Blankets on the bed had some kind of coating, crunched all night. 290 for the room and then had to pay to park in their lot

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

No coffee pot. The last time I stayed there I had a refrigerator and coffee pot. This time I wanted to make a cup of tea and was unable to do so.

Clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed sagged a bit in the middle. Would also have liked a room that had a Queen instead of two doubles. Dispatched a centipede crawling around the room.

The staff members were all friendly and efficient. The vending machines both worked and had a nice selection of items. Parking was convenient. WiFi worked well along with the TV. A restaurant across the street wasn't fancy but had a varied menu, good food and service.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

For $96 a night it would have been nice to have coffee in my room rather than having to trudge to the front desk in the rain. =( And a little fridge. A little too basic for the price.

The room was nicely updated and clean, it was very quiet there.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Only problem here is the absence of an elevator which necessitates lugging bags up to the second floor if your room is up there.

Stayed for 4 days. Bed was comfortable and room was pretty big. Complementary coffee is pretty good. Staff was really helpful and friendly.

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

For the online description outlining rooms were ground level and not a Hotel multi level. It wasn't a huge deal due to the cost of the room being on low end.

Room had a strong smell of cleaner. Which I did like, and there was attention made for straitening up.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was filthy. Had to clean the bathroom before use. No soap or shampoo first night. Room smelled like stale cigarette smoke. Air conditioning was damp and smelly. Refrigerator did not get cold, only slightly cooler than room. Ice and vending outside in a separate building across from parking lot.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No mini toiletries provided-toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.

The location is walking distance to UB-University at Buffalo but I wouldn't recommend walking. Driving = 5mins

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Booking through you didn't get us the room I asked for and very disappointed. Had to change rooms twice and still didn't get everything I asked for. Also very noisy at night with people congregating outside even with the chairs from the rooms and nothing was done about it. Have stayed there several times before and this may be my last visit there.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

room was quite small, although we could have upgraded, no fridge in standard room

king bed, good TV coverage, good shower, very clean, room was very quiet, we could park near the room as it was on the first floor

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We went to put our drinks in the fridge & a ton of water came out, which one of us slipped on. We could not use it. Also, the walls/baseboards should be cleaned better in the bathroom . The beds are very small too. We did not have a hair dryer either.

The staff are very friendly and for the price, it's good.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Exterior and outside hallways were shabby

I just needed a clean room to stay with no frills & it was just that. I liked the hardwood floor ( or tile that looked like hard wood .)

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Room was very small. I reserved double beds and rec'd king. Also, I was charged more than my reservation with booking.com had quoted and was upset with the descrepency. Only stayed 1 day out of the 6 I had planned. Room too small. Room was clean but was minimal in amenities at the sink.

Bed was comfortable. It was 1/2 what surrounding properties were so it was good for the money.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Housekeeping, some of the staff

Very poor service at desk on check in. Employee was curt and handled the transaction incorrectly despite clear verbal instructions. A second receptionist at check out was quite polite and helpful. Had to switch rooms. Trouble with broken faucet and unruly neighbors Room was not clean.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very small and we found several stink bugs on and near the bed.

Having a dog friendly facility was very convenient and why we booked with red roof plus. The staff were friendly and accommodating!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Couldn't find the TV remote, and couldn't figure out how to plug/unplug sink. The hotel staff told me that was a common problem so they should inform every traveler at check-in how to operate the plug.

Very friendly and courteous staff. Room was clean and neat.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Clean, quite pleasant actually. I only stayed the few hours of the night. It was good to have the coffee from the lobby although there was no breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bath tub did not drain so it was difficult for us to take a shower and feel clean.

I liked the location and the staff was very responsive to our concerns.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Superior King Room - Disability Access

I appreciated the well conceived accessiblity bathroom and the fact that the room was very quiet. The room was spacious with a good flat tv screen, a fridge, a safety box, and coffee available all day long. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The location close to Boulevard Mall and grocery stores is also a plus.