Reviews of Red Roof Inn Rockford 2 stars

7434 East State Street, Rockford, IL 61065, USA

#14 of 23 hotels in Rockford

I would not stay here unless I was traveling with my pets and was on a budget
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had to switch rooms after 1 night because the toilet kept running - wasting water. There were moths and a fly in the room that we took care of but basically, it's to be expected when you have direct access to the outside. The second room had an empty tampon wrapper behind the bathroom door. The bed gave me a backache although I thought is was comfortable. The microwave glass door appeared to be smudged with prints.

The room had a mini refrigerator and a microwave. Having direct access to the outside from the room is great when traveling with pets. The floors where clean and not carpeted in the main area. I really don't like carpet because really, how clean can that be... The price was good.

Over priced, no continental breakfast, small barren rooms, cramped parking.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I had a KING SINGLE, at a PREMIUM PRICE. Parking is limited and the parking spots are very tight. I never got to park near my room. The room was very tiny, and felt cramped. There wasn't a refrigerator or a microwave included with the room. Don't look here for a continental breakfast. For how little this facility has to offer, it would only be a good deal at half the current price. I would not recommend staying here.

Stayed going and coming back from Minnesota.
    • King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

It was in a very handy location, front desk was very friendly and helpful and Gerry's Pizza has the biggest selection of food. Not just pizza. Just walk next door.

Exactly what I needed with low cost.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I had a handicap room. I am not handicapped. Could not park in front of it. Water everywhere from the shower. Switches to low. Laminate floor made room very loud. Coffee maker broken.

Bed was great. Price & location perfect. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Gave me coffee and sent me on my way.

Overall adequate to meet our needs
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Would prefer first floor room (no elevator).

If you don't mind no frills such as no breakfast, no coffee maker in the room (but there was coffee in the office area), it was quite satisfactory.

Comfortable stay at a good price
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds are a bit small. The bathroom is tight for space as well.

The room was very clean and the beds comfortable. The air-conditioning worked beautifully.

I had stayed at this property shortly after it’s remodel and...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

I had stayed at this property shortly after it’s remodel and was pretty happy with it. This time you could tell it was in need of some repairs and a lot more cleaning (damaged wall corners on the lower parts of the walls, ceiling over shower had some dark spots, etc ... ) It was definitely better than other options in the same price range, but I know they’re capable of better. I would probably look at other options more closely next time we’re in this area. The staff was nice and I know the cleaning crew did the best they could with the conditions. I always appreciate their hard work.

The location was great.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We did not like the beds. They weren’t our cup of tea. Way to soft. Our room’s air conditioning was struggling to keep up. I don’t know if that was for all of the rooms or not. We wish there was a ceiling fan as well as a pool. But over all it was a fine place to stay. Maybe not 5 days. But the price was right.

The location was great. On a good side of town with Walmart around the corner and many gas stations and restaurants (including Starbucks) in WALKING distance. That way after traveling many hours(like we did) you could just walk to a place to eat was nice. The hotel was very clean. That was nice too.

Pleaseant surprise!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The mattress was a bit soft for my taste.

Nicely decorated and very clean. Also surprised with how quiet it was, based on the proximity to the highway, drive through restaurants nearby, etc.

The price is too high for what you're getting. This would be my last choice
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Building is old, they did not clean shower. Shower head make a screeching noise when taking a shower. I found hair in the tub. No hairdryer and iron.

Near the location I was visiting, beds were clean and somewhat comfortable.

Great price for a great stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was nothing not to like except for the fact that the adjoining room had people who decided to stay up to the wee hours of the night with little respect for the people who were sleeping in other rooms. A child was riding his scooter on the sidewalk next to our room. Other than that. The stay was awesome.

The staff and the room were great. We slept very well. We had a room with two queen beds with all the amenities. Will definitely stay there again even though they didn't serve breakfast it was a wonderful stay.

Convenient stop, close to interstate and stores, restaurants
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was uncomfortable- too firm for wife with arthritis issues, small room, smoking stations were positioned close to air conditioning units.

Clean, ample parking, convenient to restaurants and stores, electrical outlets, shelf, and lights on both sides of bed, Rug in bed area

You get what you pay for.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was well used. The window was so dirty. I had to pull toilet paper out of the security site hole in the door. It looked like contractors usually stay in there. The girl checking us in was evidently having a bad night, the office was locked and I had to wait for her so I could check in. The bed sheet was lightly stained.

No problem with having our dog there.

Good location not so good hotel
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Very small room for $100! Bathroom seat broken. Not enough towels or toiletries & NO FRIDGE!!! The pictures on their website are very misleading. We had a king size room and it was very very small. One person could barely fit in the bathroom. Will never stay there again .

Not much

I got the rest I was in need of but the price could have been less.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

A bit unusual as far as entrance from the existing roadway. But, so are some of the other hotels in the location.

I just needed a place to rest. Clean room, bathroom, big enough spot to park truck, and some a/c. You had that and without issue.

Do not stay here, it’s not worth the money at ALL!
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Room was dirty & run down. No refrigerator or microwave in the room. Toiletries where not refilled or room checked on the second day of my stay. Stage was rude and unhelpful.

Not a place we would stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a centipede by the bathtub in a spider web. That didn't sit well with my wife. The room smelled smokey and the door lock was very difficult to lock.

The shower was good.

6.0
    Basic room but reasonable rates
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There was no coffee machine nor hairdryer. Says in the Booking.com site there is a hairdryer. Room was as basic as they come.

All I liked about it was the room was clean.

Nice location off the interstate with renovated rooms and within walking distance to bars/food.
    • King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

I wish there had been more towels. I believe our room only came with two and 3-4 would've been better.

Bed was nice, front desk attendant was super helpful (Kevin, I think??) We got in fairly late and had been traveling all day. He had everything ready and made the check-in process easy. Thanks Kevin!! (I think!!)

Ok for overnight stay.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Could update their toilets to elongated, for us older folks feels like you’re sitting on the floor.

Bed was very soft (prefer firmer). Getting in and out of the location was a little tricky. Walmart near and many restaurants to choose from. Like the laminated flooring much better than dirty carpet.

Not a good experience.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The front desk person was not knowledgeable or friendly. She said that our room had a microwave and refrigerator, it had neither. We had to walk to the vending room to heat our food, which was not conveniently located. Our room smelled of smoke in this nonsmoking hotel.

Good budget option for a short stay. Great Location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Coffee maker in room would have been nice.

Good Budget Hotel option - older property, but overall clean. Bed's weren't the greatest, but they were fine for one night.

We got what we paid for in a sense; owners and managers cannot walk behind every single employee.
    • Superior King Room

The door was very hard to open. Lots of alarming noises in the stairway areas and parking lot. Bed had hairs in it when we pulled back the sheet. The bathroom had hair and built up dust in the corners on floor.

The bed was comfortable.

Great visit to Red Roof Inn in Rockford. Would definitely stay at a Red Roof Inn again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was very comfortable: soft mattress topper with a mattress that was firm enough to make it a great balance! The room was well lit, clean, comfortable and quiet. We had a mini refrigerator in the room which was a nice plus. Over all a great value for the money.

Awful!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room could have been bigger. Didn't get many towels. Staff was HORRIBLE.

The location was sketchy looking. The room was tight and hard to move around. Staff was NOT friendly. Experience was horrible. We were kicked out for having too many dogs when we verified on 2 occasions that we were traveling with 3 dogs. Staff was rude. I would NEVER recommend a Red Roof Inn to anyone -- ever!

Horrible! Bedbugs!
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I was terribly disappointed. I found long, dark hair all over the floor in front of the sink and in the bathroom area so obviously someone didn't put much effort into cleaning. I was thoroughly discusted to find a bug crawling across my pillow when I woke. After jumping up, I took a photo and picked it up with some tissue. I looked up examples online of bedbugs and this did appear to be a youth stage bedbug. I immediately packed my stuff, shaking everything out as I went and loaded it up in my car. I took the bug over to the office to show upon checkout. They did apologize and said they would notify management and call the exterminator. They confirmed my contact info so the manager could contact me. It's been over 48 hours and I still haven't heard from them and still paid $130 for the room!

Convenient location

Okay, but won't stay again
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds and bathroom are very small. Lobby is secluded from rooms (not convenient). Entrance to rooms is from outside (did not feel safe). There is no main lobby. I did not feel comfortable going outside after dusk, especially with my children. We ordered pizza (not from the hotel) to be delivered to our room.

Staff was nice and rooms were nicer than the place looks from the outside.

Overpriced, overpriced, overpriced: even the desk clerk seemed embarrassed when I checked out.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was really worn and dirty. Only carpet remnants on parts of the floor. The HVAC unit was filthy and rattled all night. The desk lamp was dented, there was a sizable rip in the fabric of the desk chair, and a light fixture on the wall didn't work at all. A pocket-sized tissue pack and a bar of soap were the only amenities--no shampoo, no full-sized kleenex. Very sad and depressing.

It felt safe and was easy to find.

Very pleasant stay would return again
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Landscaping and could not find designated dog walking area

Updated rooms are very nice for an older property nice size TV beds were comfy the wooden type floor are a nice touch though my dog sometimes had issues with slipping much much better and cheaper than the motel hell 6 I stayed at prior to moving over to Red Roof. Though I was homesick (had to evacuate due to flooding) and had bronchitis

Would recomend
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Had a burned out light in the bathroom. Girl at front desk happily replaced it even though she was the only one working. It is not safe for her to be working alone at night.

You get what you pay for
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There was one microwave for everyone in the building to share that was filthy along with two over-priced vending machines and an ice machine for some reason. Cards to get in doors repeatedly stopped working on us.

Cheap, didn't charge extra for pets.

Red Roof
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Wall behind door in bathroom had brown mark. The 3 maids banging on my door telling us we couldn't do late checkout.

Was only a few miles away from event I was attending.

6.0
    Room was very clean
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Neighbors were very noisy, kids runnning and yelling for three hours past our room, well after dark, and we were hoping to get to sleep early. Staff at front desk didn't smile or seem friendly.

Room was very clean

Omg... ugh
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

2 towels for 3 adults and one child. The shower sprayed out of tub. One bed had obviously not had sheets changed. Had horrible temperature control that blew straight on one bed. Overall the place was ridiculous for price we paid. An extra "safe" fee was added at check in and we did use a safe.

Nice place needs new staff
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Both checking in and checking out the staff seemed inconvenienced. Like I was bothering them. Had people from our group check in at multiple times and more then one said the same thing 😔

Clean updated rooms. Restaurant in the building

I should have slept in the car in a snowstorm!

Towels..bed

Beds were very bad..canyons of discomfort ..soft mattress that has been cratered with collapsed areas..towels worse than the county jail...clean but the bathroom was a converted closet..ok for a road stop once..but no breakfast buffet..not a bargain ...Motel 000...a void to avoid.. From really nice guy!

I won't book there again. The price is too high for what you get.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There wasn't a coffee pot in the room so I couldn't even have coffee unless I went outside, around the building, and into the lobby area where the thermos pots stood with old coffee. It was pouring rain and I didn't want to go outside and get wet. Had to ask for a hair dryer. The room was a bad value for the money.

We did not get eggs or anything else to eat.

Not impressed
    • Superior King Room

Place is dirty, only given two towels for the night, no movie channels unless you pay extra. Place is a dump and not worth the money

Leaving in the morning

There are so many other hotels in the area, pick a different one.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I reserved a single room with a queen-sized bed, but was given a double room with two full-sized beds. My wife and I considered sleeping "I Love Lucy" style because we were cramped in the small bed. There seemed to be plenty of available rooms, so I have no idea why we didn't get what we reserved. The "100% Smoke Free" room smelled like someone had been smoking in the bathroom. The bed was uncomfortable and heated/air conditioner didn't seem to work very well. Don't expect many of the usual hotel complimentaries. There were two bars of soap (one for the sink and one for the shower) and "conditioning shampoo" provided. The tissues were a small travel-sized package of sandpaper. There was no conditioner, lotion, blow dryer, or coffee; nor is there any sort of breakfast provided (complimentary or otherwise).

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Nice room
    • Superior King Room

The neighbors very loud "jack hammer" alarm clock that went off twice between 5:30-5:35 AM. NOT HAPPY!! Outside of the building could use an update

Location, the room itself, no charge for our cat

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Not accessible
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were promised an accessible room, but one wasn't available. There wasn't enough space to maneuver the wheelchair. The bathroom was inaccessible, the toilet too low and had no grab bars, making it nearly impossible to use. Simply a bad experience. We will not use this hotel in the future.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Handy location but cleanliness of the room was not so good.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was not clean. Initial walk-in appearance was acceptable, but corners and out-of-plain-view places were dusty and dirty, especially the bath and shower were not clean.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

The room was clean, the staff did a good job. I was very disappointed in the lack of basic amenitie
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Did I miss something in how the room was advertised? There was NO fridge, NO microwave, NO coffee pot, NO iron. This was a shock to me. I really thought ALL of these items were standard fare in hotel rooms. At the VERY LEAST, a coffee pot. Also, on Monday I discovered that the skirt on the bed had been spilled on or thrown up on and asked that it be changed. I waited all week and it never was changed. The staff did clean up the room and provided towels for me and it was comfortable, but it lacked some basic amenities.

My room was kept clean all week. (I did leave a tip each day)

The room was comfortable enough that I asked to stay in the...
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was comfortable enough that I asked to stay in the same room again on my next trip. I would have liked a fridge and microwave. I was glad I brought a cooler and they did have plenty of ice.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Good value
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

A one night stay as we were traveling through. It is a good value for a bare bones budget stay. Clean and convenient in area of higher prices lodging. Convenient to eating and turnpike.

Bed was comfortable.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The outside of the motel was dingy, especially near the stairs. Under the stairs was disgusting and you could see it walking towards them!

Bed was comfortable. Room was very clean. The staff was very nice, friendly and knowledgable.

I would never return here.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was filthy. There were people talking and smoking outside of my room most of the night. The bed was very uncomfortable. The sheets were old and dingy and had holes in them.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

HVAC and refrigerator did not function properly: room was cold and our food spoiled. Broken luggage rack. The towels reminded me of good quality "shop rags".

Staff

We got into town about 1:00pm and they let us check in early
    • Superior King Room

My wife used the toilet and then found out it wouldn't flush (embarassing!).I found out that the drain chain was disconnected from the handle , the tank was empty and the water shut off... repaired it myself.... also the sink drain didn't stay shut.. had to adjust the drain nut to hold it up. These three issues should have been found and fixed before the room was rented out.

We got into town about 1:00pm and they let us check in early

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

OK but not great.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room temperature was cold when we arrived, but warmed up OK by the time we went to bed. During the night it became too warm and was difficult to adjust adequately.

Price was very good.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

Large, clean room for very reasonable price
    • King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

NO complaints. Breakfast would have been nice, but it seemed to us that very good price just wouldn't permit that.

Sorry but I can't recall details at this point. I do recall that we thought it was a large room with very nice amenities (European style shower), the TV worked so we could watch the World Series-- that night Cleveland won!, and the price was very reasonable. We may very likely stay there again since it's a good stop between Cleveland and my brother's cottage.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

You might get locked out of your room in the cold and encounter lousy staff
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff working at the time was horrible. The room doors jamm in the cold so you can potentially get stuck outside your room. Took three attempts to get staff to come and help. When I told her we were having an issue with the door she told me I must have dimagnitzed my card, the second time she told me to put my shoulder into the door.. when she finally came to assess the situation she said "I need to get a heat gun but I really don't want to". My farther ended up getting the door open after several attempts and standing in the cold. When we settled into the room we discovered that the heater wasn't working. I asked if we could change rooms and she said all of their rooms were sold out and she couldn't garantee the same kind of room.. meanwhile, exact room was available on booking.com. She gave a cold "sorry for the inconvenience" after we called her out and demanded a different room. Not sure what her problem was..

I have stayed at this location in the past because it is in a great location and easy to access for travellers. This particular stay was not pleasant due to staff but in general the rooms are fairly clean and up to date.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

I will not be staying there againg
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We did not stay all three night because our alarm was going off back home and my son who is autistic was scared because the neighbors kept bagging on the walls

I guess the price for three nights

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Nice stay. East side of Rockford.
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Front Desk Tiffany Allen was the best part of my stay. She welcomed me with a lovely mix of friendliness and courtesy that I had forgotten was possible. Thank you, Tiffany, for your genuine caring.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Good clean room for a great price.

Not every room had a coffee maker, ours was one that didn't. When asked if we could get one, it seemed to be like we were asking for something unreasonable.

Bed was very comfy, room was clean. We stayed for 5 nights, clean and comfortable was a must. We stay at this place whenever we are in town.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Jo
    • Superior King Room

Front desk associate was rude. Our room was not ready by 3:00 PM check in. The room was dirty, smelt like cigarettes and I will not stay at another red roof Inn or use your service. I requested assistance with a discount and was told I needed to speak with property manager. Property manager referred me to booking. Where's the customer service???

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Price and location were great - The rest leaves a lot to be improved upon.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We found the hot water to the sink shut off! The toilet ran constantly, not much, but it was a waste of energy. Fan in bathroom ran all the time. Beds were the pits. - If there was a cheaper mattress made, you will find it in a Red Roof Inn. We left Sunday morning at 8:00 am and returned at 12:30 to take a nap.Room service still had not did their "Green Service" to our room. Basically that means - make the beds, empty the trash and replenish the towels. Yes, we did hang out the "Privacy please flag, so I can not say that they would not have done it at some time. Saturday morning, I did not like waking up to their housekeepers fighting in Spanish!

Price. - Location. - front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Great value and very comfortable.
    • Superior King Room

There was a loud family that could have been quieter. Fortunately, they retired early.

The room was comfy and logically arranged. the staff were friendly and our car was just a few steps out our door.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Nice room but not cleaned well.
    • Superior King Room

There was a plastic cup filled about half way up with water in the corner of the bathroom behind the door. Due to some ashes on the floor I assume the people before us smoked in this non-smoking room. There was also a dirty dried up washcloth that fell on my head when I pulled the shower curtain closed. A condom instruction sheet under the air conditioner that I found when I dropped my pen.

The shower had wonderful water pressure and the shower was roomy due to the rounded shower curtain.

Good hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No breakfast. Beds ok not great. No elevator for bags to second floor.

Clean, quiet, room. Front desk manager very nice and efficient!

Liked that they offer pet friendly rooms.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Liked that they offer pet friendly rooms. However I had a severe allergic reaction to linens and or room. I’m allergic to dog and cat hair.

It was a nice place and close to my event.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was a nice place and close to my event.

Close off the expressway and great location accessible to...
    • Superior King Room

Close off the expressway and great location accessible to restaurants and stores!

Not what we expected for the price.
    • King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The room was not clean, the desk clearly had not been wiped down. Several areas of the room did not appear to have been cleaned well.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The convenient location, cleanliness and friendly staff were...
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The bed, size and fixtures left something to be desired. Old and tired.

The convenient location, cleanliness and friendly staff were pluses.

Great value. Comfy and clean room. Very quiet.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No coffee maker in the room.

Spotlessly clean. Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Displeased.

Dirty, never again.

don't stay there

the room

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Great location, price and friendly staff

Great location, price and friendly staff

It was only OK. Minimum standards met.

Smokey room. Small towels. Small bath. Cramped room. Poor internet

Dog friendly

Nice
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I got just exactly what I paid for. No complaints at all.

Stayed there due to dog

The bed was soooooo soft. Room 143 needs new mattresses

Great Stay

No dislikes

Clean, friendly staff, issues resolved quickly, great location, really comfortable area

Good bang for the buck.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Kind of noisy because of proximity to busy street. Parking lot was rather cramped.

Good value for the money.

Close to highway
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hookers by the hotel, loud air conditioner, loose toilet seat, etc.

Close to highway