Reviews of Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Austin South 2 stars

4701 South IH 35, Austin, TX 78744, USA

#141 of 193 hotels in Austin

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

What I didn't like was the fact that I had ordered my room online and when getting to the hotel there was an extra charge for security locker that was in your room that I have no intentions of using cuz I was only there for a night but that charge was added to the room. However the girls at the desk said if you don't use it come back at check out let them know you did not use it and it would be refunded back to you. However I believe we did not get ours re-funded cuz I believe I left it to my husband to do and he forgot.🙄

What I liked about the room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The ladies at the desk area was very friendly when checking in it was simple and not a lot of issues there.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I didn’t like the location it wasn’t the best to us

I like the friendliness of the staff at the hotel it was not much to do around the property but we did enjoy the pool and the rooms we ok they seemed to have had some what of an odor once we arrived but when asked for air freshener it was much better over all it was worth the money. I would not come back to this hotel tho

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Room didn't have coffee maker. Found a dead and dried cockroach in so much plain sight that I am shocked how can housekeeping miss it. Originally booked a room for 3 adults (and paid extra for that) but found that the room cannot accommodate more than 2 adults since the beds were small. Had no choice but to pay for another room. There was no option of breakfast and the free coffee/tea in lobby was a joke. Coffee was cold and tasted bad and hot water for tea was room temperature so it was obvious no one bothers to drink anything there and thus the facility don't bother to check or replenish.

Choice of firm versus soft pillow.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

It wasn’t that clean, our floors looked like they have never been swept, and I’m hoping the red splatters on the bathroom wall was paint and not blood. No breakfast.

Location was nice. Manager Gave us a discount and a new room after we saw the baby roaches in our original room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The bed was in poor condition. The toilet kept running. The elevator would ding constantly. It was very bright in the hallway and a lot of light came in under the door. There was no place to eat nearby.

The price.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I have been all around the world, lived and travelled across China and this was the most disgusting place I have ever stayed in. I don’t even write reviews, but I need to tell people not to stay here. There were so many bugs.

Easy check-in.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Staff were great - moved us rooms no issue at all when the toilet broke in our original room. Breakfast was standard hotel breakfast, but rooms were comfortable and clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

My room smelled like sweat and Fritos from the very first day and half a can of Lysol could not make the smell go away completely. Maybe it was because the floor had been mopped with very dirty water. I could see the dried water marks from the mop on the floor. There were multiplie stains on the bed sheets and they felt cheap and not completely clean. Surfaces seemed grimy. I had my “do not disturb” door knocker on my room door the entire stay and yet I would come back to find papers or items on the desk moved or thrown away. They also automatically charge you a daily fee for using the safe. They will remove it at check out but only if you remember to ask them to remove it. I wouldn’t stay again for more than one night and would only stay again if I had my pet with me. FYI, it is policy to put pet owners on the ground floor even if they have plenty of rooms on higher floors. I asked to be switched and was told no. There is a tv but no microwave or mini fridge so I’m not sure what the “Plus” part is about.

It’s cheap and they allow you to keep your pet with you at no extra charge.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

This was the worst pm I ever spent in a hotel! The bed was terrible where you rolled into the middle of the king due to the cavernous hole there. We were right next to the outside door. The mechanism to shut quietly was broken and all through the pm we heard the slamming of the door. We were supposed to stay two PMS but booking got us out of the second pm. Never again!!!!!

Decent location

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Small uncomfortable beds. Loud banging doors all through the day and night. No fridge or breakfast (though we had the impression there was) No shuttle

Staff was nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

This hotel is in a bad neighborhood, it is run down, there were people coming and going at all hours of the night every night we were there.

The staff were friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Check in took an hour cause there was one person at the desk and the rooms were not ready. The room was not as described on the site. The site described a premium room but gave the cheaper price. The room was small. The shower didn't work.

It was clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

It definitely wasn’t luxurious, but I didn’t expect that, given the price we paid vs other hotels in the area. Our room could have used a good cleaning before we arrived. We wore shoes at all times when our feet were on the ground.

The location was great! Literally 5 minutes to downtown!

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They put 2 women staying alone in a first floor room off the parking lot. Driveway in/out is right off a busy freeway which was challenging, room clean but damage in bathroom painted over, Austin hotel prices high for room quality. Also had several police cars sitting outside the facility one morning which made me nervous about the neighborhood and other guests.

Refrigerator in room, clean overall, staff responsive and helpful when we asked.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Beds are hard. Pillows are horrible. No ice machine on our floor. Tv was very limited on channels. Gave us only 2 towels one bath and one smaller one. Would rather pay more money and get extra quality. No breakfast. Just coffee downstairs.

Money value

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Breakfast would have been wonderful.

Staff was fantastic - Selena and Carla are rock stars ! I would have loved to have breakfast; however, it was not a deal breaker. The hotel was clean and staff was awesome! Loved the free coffee!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Rooms could use a deep clean(behind, under and over). Rooms could also use some much needed maintenance(touch-up paint in various places, flooring and shower/bath tub marks).

I thought the staff did great and was nice. Also the value for the price was awesome.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Rooms should be MUCH CLEANER, NO ROACHES AND WITHOUT BAD ODORS. Cleaning staff need to be better trained. Also, we have never been to a hotel or motel that did not give hand lotion.

1st assigned room smelled of musky mold & urine. Requested new room; odor gone but had to kill cock roach on wall & room quite dirty, i.e., floors not swept, toilet had black mold around bottom, bedcover quite wrinkled. Once roach came out requested to cancel 2nd night & manager was quite nice & professional & granted Request w/out penalty.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

We seen a lot of trash in the hallway like someone just dropped it and didn't want to pick it up.

The coffee was great. Selena at the front desk was super awesome.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

It was a little spend for the facility, but it was SXSW week so I bet everywhere was

They have made an honest effort to update the place and did a pretty good job giving it a decent face lift. Everything was comfortable and nice. No complaints really.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Smoke-free but smell cigarette smoke in building. Changed two rooms, still could not sleep due to the smell of smoke and whatever they use to mask the smells. My clothes smelled in the morning.

The location was good. There were enough parking spaces and all were pretty much well lit. The front desk was cooperative.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I thought the wait for the front desk check in was too lengthy, but once the staff member finally got to helping us in line, she was personable and nice.

The room was perfect for our needs.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The hotel was infected with bed bugs, and many guests were affected, and like me, got rashes itching all over the body. The hotel offered no help, just to change rooms. I am going to seek compensation for the pharmacy bill and a refund.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The room had a HORRIBLE smell, the toilet seat was chipped and pealing, the bed was hard, the coffee was HORRIBLE. I would have been upset to pay Motel 6 prices for these conditions, let alone the $200+ I did pay. The air conditioning also needs cleaning.

The staff was very friendly.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Airco/Heater in room was noisy, but it was neither too cold nor too hot in the room, so I just turned it off. Road around the Hotel is very busy.

Good size room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

It was good for the price but don’t expect luxury.

Picked it because of price and close to downtown with a car. It’s nice enough for a budget range hotel

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Constant noise from other guests in nearby rooms. Couples fighting (including one guy threatening his wife/girlfriend with her life). Loud families (parents allowing children to scream their heads off all hours of the day). A group from one room in a battle with guests in another room about the noise. Waking up at 4:00 am to noisy neighbors coming in. Sketchy characters hanging out in the parking lot.

Convenient location to the SoCo area, but construction on I-35 is very disruptive and slow going.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

No continental breakfast. Only coffee. No extra roll of tp in the bathroom and only one face towel. Called for an additional towel and was told they didn't have any extras. Blankets were very old and tattered, paper thin with holes etc. overall not bad but not what I would expect for the price.

Location. Friendly staff.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The TVs could've been better since we had two that were not working properly.

The hotel was decent, but the staff really stood out, they were so great! Our first room had a TV that didn't work, but the staff easily switched us. Also, they were kind and efficient to remove a movie rental charge from my bill when I told them that while I did rent a movie, it did not work and we were unable to watch it.

Staff. Friendly and professional

The staff were excellent. Professional and very pleasant. We had trouble finding our room, and were even taken there by front desk.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The negatives: The lobby smelled like bug spray. The bathrooms are very small. The staff was not friendly, in fact, rude at times. They force a stupid "Safe Usage" fee on you and tell you that you can ask for a refund when you leave but when you ask they are reluctant to remove it. The lady who checked me out told me she took it off but when i checked my bill it was still on there and i had to ask again for it to be removed. It was only 1.50 per day but it was the principal of the thing, that i wasn't allowed to decline the safe usage and i had to waste 10 minutes trying to get my refund. The bathroom was tiny. There is NO counter space at the sink. No fridge, no microwave, no coffee maker. Air conditioner barely blew air but it did blow cold air. The bedspread on one of the beds had something spilled on it. The hotel ran out of towels and didn't replace them when they cleaned rooms. We had to ask for them at the desk and even then it was hours later that we got them. There is NO breakfast of any kind. The breakfast room has only SIX chairs total in it, for a 4 story hotel! No meeting room. No friendly staff. There is onlygood lighting in the parking lots at the front and back doors. The reat of the parking lot is dark. The positives: The rooms felt clean, the beds were decent and the pillows were ok. One thing the room had that was nice was an abundance of plugs. However, only some worked.

It looks nice from the outside. The lobby looks decent. The rooms are adequate if you like plain and simple with absolutely no frills whatsoever.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I was annoyed by the $1.50 charge for the safe. I didn't need one and it was constantly in my way because the door would remain open. I banged up my shin on it pretty badly. I tried to lock it closed but wasn't able to figure out how. It was a pretty big hassle. You can request the $1.50 back when you check out, but you have to remember to ask. They even tell you this when you check in, but it seems very, very petty.

The room was very comfortable- the nicest Red Roof I've stayed at. It felt like a much higher-class hotel than most. Besides being comfortable, they were attractive.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Phone was disabled, cord was cut, couldn't get drinking water because receptionist had no coins to exchange so I could use vending machine, no body lotion, didn't bring mine along

Bed was comfortable

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I was given a room that other people were already in. Embarassing to walk in on strangers and im sure they were just as surprised. i was given another room. This room had 2 dead cockroaches on the floor but other than that it was clean. However, around 2am i woke up to the people in the adjoining room obvisiouly, drunk. They were loud, arguing and sick as i could hear someone wretching and vomiting for about 20 min. Than again, at 4am woke up to a woman in the hallway pounding on doors. She was also crying loudly and yelling at someone on her phone about being locked out of her room. this went on for about 30 min. While in the lobby a customer came to complain about a stopped up toilet and the desk clerk handed her a plunger instead of calling for maintaince. Id likebto point out this is the second time since November i have stayed at this hotel and they did the same thing last time by giving me a room that had not been cleaned from previous residents.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Small breakfast area. Hotel is now in the shadow of a major expressway fly over so the rooms are noisy. Traffic was bad and entrance to expressways limited.

The convenience to downtown

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Don’t let the name Plus fool ya. There were roaches coming out of the sink. I could only put up with it til midnight. Then I checked out and canceled the next 3 nights of my stay!! 🤢

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I checked in. Took a shower and left for an hour. When I got back my room had been cancelled and they said I could not get my things from my room till the morning. It was 11pm when I checked in and it is now 1am and I am locked out of my room with all my belongings in the room. Police was called and I finally got in my room at 2am. This happened to others as well.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The toilet was much too low and hurt my arthritic knees. Unable to deadlock the door as it was broken.

The room was clean, little noise from the nearby busy freeway, free coffee 24 hours, good film channel on tv.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Better sound proofing. There was absolutely no difference between the "firm" pillows and the "soft" pillows! They were identically firm *LOL*. Not a problem for me, since I like a firm pillow. My suggestion: if you want a soft fluffy pillow, bring your own.

Great location and value for the money! To be that close to Central Austin and all of the event venues, and still a reasonable price - It's a miracle. I was also pleased with the streamlined quick check in and check out and the very competent and amiable staff.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The shower head gave us some issues, and it was very loud. Aside from that, all was well.

The bed was nice and clean, the room felt fresh and it was a great deal for the price!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

We thought the "Plus" meant breakfast, computer and room microwaves. There was none of this...which was a little disappointing. It more like Red Roof "Minus".

We like the decor and comfort. Front desk was relatively helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Condition of the bath room was pretty rough- The toilet rocked when you sat on it- The tub did not have a stopper for a bath- The shower head was broken and did not function properly- ect . . .

Good price-

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The rooms are great and the beds are comfortable, only thing is the doors you can see into the hallway cause the doors don’t seal right and saw some small roaches in the restroom.

The beds are awesome.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Very basic facilities, air conditioning in the room was noisy and very stuffy.

Nice room, comfy bed and good shower. We were able to order food delivered to our hotel door from a local restaurant for dinner.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Armed Police officer walking the parking lot, security message playing on speaker in parking lot (feeling of unsafe surroundings with car at risk). Both bedspreads had stains all over them, tiny pillows/thin scratchy sheets, walls had damage throughout the room, AC cover was hanging off the unit, some bluish goop on the wall between the beds where the light/phone located, overall uncomfortable and kinda gross room. Hallway smelled of cigarette smoke when first walking to the room even though it is non-smoking room/floor. Every single door we walked past on the floor had damage to it. Other guest(s) smoking pot in the elevator and in their room(s) or hallway. Hall/elevator then reeked of pot smoke as we were leaving that night to go to another hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

It took 45 min to check in, even though I was the only one in the lobby. I notified them we would be arriving late, at 11pm. When I got there, at 11pm, they had already charged my card as a "no show". The first room they sent us to wasn't clean. Both beds had been slept in, dirty towels on the bathroom floor and half eaten food/cups scattered around. We were moved to another but the a/c would not cool. It was hot and humid. By then it was already after 1 am and we were so tired we just stuck it out. No breakfast and coffee was cold when we left at 7am.

Only thing I liked was the location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

We booked 2 rooms together on the same booking yet they put us at opposite ends of the hotel. The staff that sorted check-in for us were quite rude (Staff during the rest of the stay were lovely and helpful though which made up for it). The maids only made up one of the beds in the room (there were 3 of us in the room, so both beds got used).

Decent outdoor pool. Spacious rooms and comfy beds.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

On day 2 of our stay, we found 5-6 live cockroaches on our room, and climbing the wall. We called staff and they changed our room immediately. We made reservations in April 2017 for this trip requesting handicap room, but when we arrived on 10/22/17 there were no handicap rooms available. When we had to change our room 2 days later, we got handicap.

Bed was comfortable. Staff printed out our airplane boarding pass.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The room was not really clean, they need to put more atention on that, floor and carpet was dirty or bad cleaned, a lot of parts in the room were dirty, also the batroom.

The location is good, with enough parking lot

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Handicap rooms not convenient, on a room change the charges were screwed up and not carried to new room with same accommodations

Location, cleanliness, elevator access

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I thought this was a PLUS hotel that included fridge and microwave. Maybe it was the way I booked my hotel or something, but I thought all rooms would accommodate that since it’s not a regular Red Roof. That was one of the reasons why I liked this hotel. The other thing that I was not too comfortable was I got to the hotel early and I could not make my reservation. I wasn’t expecting a room but at least to know that my room was paid for and Room assigned w keys. The thing is that I knew I wasn’t going to get to the hotel until after 2am, we were going to be tired and the last thing I wanted to do was go fill out paperwork at the front desk.

That I had an event to attend and I was able to still get my reservation.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Sketchy hotel- homeless(?) people sitting right outside and in the lobby. the room smelled like mold/musty/something along those lines.

the staff was friendly. the bed was comfy.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Pool wasn't clean, coffee and tea not available in the morning, needed to ask twice to get cans refilled

Good motel next to Interstate and not too far from Downtown Austin and Airport

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The smell of smoke on a non-smoking floor (from a nearby room) and inconsiderate neighbors.

Clean room and pet friendly; very accommodating and friendly staff. Arrived several hours to my check-in time and staff was able to have a room ready in less than an hour.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

There were two dead cockroaches in our room when we arrived and the bathroom was very dated. The fridge was also quite gross and we had to clean it before we used it. Our toilet clogged multiple times with just a small amount of use and even overflowed into the room in the middle of the night and we had to have staff come and fix it for us. I also wish they had a small breakfast instead of just coffee.

It's a great location. It only took us minutes to get to Congress or Guadalupe and about 10 minutes to downtown even with traffic. The room was nicely remodeled and the internet was pretty fast. The staff was the best, they were very nice and when we had problems they were quick to take care of us.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

When I got in the room, the toilet was leaking from underneath, everytime I flushed. Crtain rod was falling off. Got moved 5 more times because of same or different issues.

Staff courteous and polite

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Desk lamp was broken. Shower bar was also broken (Rm 129) Had a new/modern sink in the room which took up considerable room leaving very little room for toiletries.

Close to the airport (<10 minutes) Coffee available in the morning.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The hot water didn't work in one of the rooms, the hotel was expensive for the quality and a little shabby, there was no dedicated pet area with trash bins, and the pool was shut down. Also the blanketsi were very thin and there were no extras in the room, so I had to strip the other bed for blankets.

They were able to take a last minute booking.

No breakfast :(

The staff at the desk was amazing, there was a young lady working the last day we were there and she couldn't have been more helpful using her email and fax services.

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

No breakfast, loud drunk guests chugging beers in the lobby. One tried to start a fight with my friend but ran into the glass door. Super ghetto. Staff did nothing.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Toilet was dirty on arrival. Bar soap left from previous persons stay. Toilet did not flush good. Reported a suspicious person on the same floor as I was and front desk expressed no concern. The male was going door to door testing a key card. I will not stay at a Red Rood Inn again. Found ants in the room on day 3.

It was quiet in the hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

No counter space, no place to put things. AC did not have an option for continuous fan so each time the compressor kicked on it woke us up. It also allowed the room to get quite warm before it kicked on and then the room got very cold before it kicked off. Road noise was pretty bad, but was somewhat expected since the hotel was right off the freeway. The hotel was old and worn, needed paint. Fancy bedspreads and decor does not cover up old and worn. I will search for better accommodations for the price. I have paid less in Austin for rooms that had Microwaves, breakfast and refrigerators.

Sheets were soft and towels were thick and nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Water was OFF and was being worked on and asked for discount but she refused. Room was next to exit door and could hear everyone coming inside hotel at 3am. Toilet kept Clogging.

I didn't like anything.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

We got skipped by housekeeping one day. They did bring us towels after I informed them of this. Thus, the reason I rated the staff like I did.

It was right on the Interstate!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Elevator seemed a little scary. Don’t park your car under the trees unless you are prepared to clean bird poop of of it.

Can’t go wrong with wood floors

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

Everything..the pool was dirty...the hotel itself was dirty...definitely wouldn't stay there again....it looks good on the outside that's it

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The price. But i booked during a very busy week of school graduations. The price was extra because of the demand for hotels which is to be expected.

The room was exactly what was expected. It was clean and comfy and everything worked as well as it should have.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The bathroom needed some maintenance. Shower rod was pulled out from wall.

The motel was a good basic motel. No breakfast was offered at this location. I prefer motels with no pets.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

the elevators looked a little old. also the pool wasn't clean to go for a swim.

I liked how fast the check in was the staff was friendly. the room was quite nice and comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

I was disappointment that we did not receive our complimentary "snack package" that the premium rooms come with. We had to ask the front desk for it. We also never had our room cleaned, however they did offer at the front desk to come in and pick up. And we were most disappointment with the swimming pool being dirty and not usable during our stay.

I was very pleased with the room itself. It was very clean when we got there, they include on your bed several pillows to choose from (soft-firm). The room looked modern and up to date.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

It was dated, not very clean, the bed was made up to look nice but the sheets were dirty and stained with body fluids, bugs were on top of the sheets. They offered another room that did not have a security latch on the door and holes in the wall. Had to move to 3 different rooms.

The room was a nice size

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The way Security or Maintenance approach US Customers. I think They have Forgotten that we are paying their LIFE!! PRETTY MUCH.

Few of the stuff knows what CUSTOMER SERVICE MEANS!A LOT OF THEM DON'T.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The air conditioning was not good. It was too hot even adjusting thermostat. I was concerned with elevator since one showed not properly working and out of service.

Close to where I needed to be

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

I thought I had booked two rooms through Booking.com but they told me only one room had been received for booking. The room that did not show up was the two bed room. Two guys had to share a King. Not too happy.

Location was on the south side of town. They were in the process of trying to fix the property up. Room was nice but bathrooms need to be redone. Rust stains in tub.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds Non-Smoking

The front staff kept talking to each and not even paying attention to me. I had to interrupt them to ask the basic questions. There was no friendliness, no breakfast, no pictures on the walls of my room, no fridge, and no microwave. Very bare room that was WAYYYY to expensive!!! ($183.97) This was a terrible hotel at a rediculous price. Either drop the price or offer the normal eminities that most other hotels offer (including other Red Roof Inns).

It was clean.