2. USA hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel

Reviews of Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel 4 stars

5 Avenue of the Arts, Providence, RI 02903, USA

#2 of 18 hotels in Providence

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 6 December 2018

Would've been good if not for the massive inconvenience at check-in

The valet was woefully understaffed at the time we checked in. Took us an hour to drive up to the valet. There was a concert next door at the Vets. Also, an event in the hotel which led to mass chaos with the valet

• Reviewed: 20 November 2018

Great value. Great location.

Only one non-decaf coffee pod for the two of us. Only one teenie-tiny bottle of shower gel for the two of us. I'd expect one each for a couple. But this didn't detract from the comfort.

Very nice rooms, good amenities, including breakfast. Excellent bar with good cocktails!

• Reviewed: 19 November 2018

Wedding bliss

I reserved this room for a friend and her new husband as a gift for their first night as a married couple and THEY were beyond pleased with everything!!! No complaints from them at all.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2018

Very convenient location, really comfortable bed, quiet room and friendly staff!

Everything was fine. There could have been two regular (caffeinated) coffee set-ups for the machine, instead of just one regular, one decaf. But that’s a small thing.

The location was fabulous. We came for a concert at the Veterans Memorial Hall, which turned out to be literally right next door. It was also easy walking distance to nearby restaurants, which meant we could just leave the car in valet parking and not worry about anything.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2018

The Staff was phenomenal with the 3 exception of the...

As an overnight guest, I find it outrageous to pay $30 to park.

The Staff was phenomenal with the 3 exception of the bartender...Maybe his lack of maturity and experience is the cause of the lack of attention. Otherwise great team!

• Reviewed: 12 November 2018

Hotel room was very nice and more importantly clean.

The valet service was overwhelmed with the amount of vehicles due to 2 events in the city. Also had problems finding my reservation. Did make good though by refunding the $30 valet service fee.

Hotel room was very nice and more importantly clean. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2018

We really liked the Lounge.
    • King Room - Club Level

Coffee machine in the Lounge is slow! Will ask for a room that doesn’t over look the freeway next time but it wasn’t a problem.

We really liked the Lounge. Valet service v friendly and Simien super helpful with restaurants.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Renovation is new, cheery, and the property is very...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Not exactly walking distance to downtown or the universities.

Renovation is new, cheery, and the property is very attractive, with many rooms with view of the state building. Check in and valet are efficient, gym is large. Will definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

It was pleasant

The window was blocked, wasn't able to see anything from the window

The bed was awesome. Very, very comfortable. The best I've ever slept on. Would like to purchase it for my home! As a matter of fact I believe there was information in reference to doing just that.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Would definitely stay again!

No information in the room about restaurants or even The hotel bar/restaurant. No readily available pamphlets on things to do.

Perfect location to everything. Clean rooms and comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Valet parking attendants exceptional

Enjoyable hotel

Hate Valet parking. Very Standard but pricey breakfast . Would have expected more from such a hotel.

Great location, nice room on the 9 floor with a great view. Staff was very helpful and attentive.

The staff in reception were very welcoming, courteous and...

The staff in reception were very welcoming, courteous and helful on our arrival.The hotel bedroom was a generous size and well furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bed linen was an excellent standard. We dined in the hotel restaurant in the evening and had a delicious meal. All in all, a wonderful experience and we would certainly stay at the Renaissance in Providence again if we were in the area.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Good friendly service who made us feel welcome.

Good friendly service who made us feel welcome. The room was comfortable and the facilities all were fine. The pub was good for a drink and the server was very helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

It was a different style , right next to the mall.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

My friends and I paid cash for the hotel when we checked out. The hotel ended up holding my money on my debit card for the room for 5 days after I left the hotel. I could have been paying bills with that money. I was pissed.

It was a different style , right next to the mall. Valet parking.

We stayed for two nights and they didn’t have time to clean...

We stayed for two nights and they didn’t have time to clean our room after our first night, We were out of our room for more than 12 hrs mind you.....and when we got back to the room and called the front deck I was received with sarcasm..will not be back.....and will pass this on in yelp and any other person thats asking for a place to stay in RI/Providence

Facilities are clean and new.

Room was a little too cold and had to turn off the AC.

Facilities are clean and new. Staff were very friendly compared to my previous experience at other hotels.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

The hotel is in a good position for visiting the city.
    • King Room - Club Level

The hotel is in a good position for visiting the city. We took a King Room club with two beds, very comfortable as well as the quality of sleeping. The room is well equipped, clean and with a spacious bathroom and a lot of towels.

We will definitely return!

The restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. To be fair, we only had breakfast there, but it was just average.

I am very fussy when it comes to cleanliness and I can honestly say that the room was spotless! The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The valet staff was especially noteworthy. We will definitely return.

We had a great evening at this property. I loved the Aveda products and was impressed with the room.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

I was wonderfully surprised with how much we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in an old Masonic Temple which was fascinating and we had a direct view of the State House.

Classic hotel in a good location

No water in the rooms and the bed linen was terrible.

Walked to the renaissance from the train station, close to shops and easy to get to everywhere from there. Room was comfortable. Loved the Aveda products

Lovely but not much to do in area

Expensive restaurants in the area & only a few. Providence is not an attractive area to stay in. If you're staying to visit Rhode Island, Newport is a far better choice

The hotel itself was lovely as were the staff. It was our 30th wedding Anniversay & jokingly said you could spoil us if you like. We arrived back after an evening out to find a bottle of fizz on ice & a bowl of strawberries!

They let me check in in advance Thant the schedule time that...

They let me check in in advance Thant the schedule time that I was supposed to get the room! Very nice everyone, super nice position staff and clean level

Marvelous

Cannot think of a thing. Everything was excellent I so enjoyed speaking with Jack the bartender. He was very intelligent for being so young and agreat person....Marvelous

People were very friendly and helpful.

The staff was the friendliest & most professional I have...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

The staff was the friendliest & most professional I have ever experienced. Went above and beyond our needs and really gave the “wow” factor.

Graduation Weekend

My room was in need of some repairs....tiles in the bathroom around the toilet were badly stained and need to be replaced. The wallpaper in the bathroom is in need of cleaning. Prices were jacked way up for graduation weekend. Valet parking is an added expense.

The Renaissance is conveniently located right next to the RI Statehouse and just down the street from Providence College....beautiful nighttime views of the Statehouse. Valet parking is easy and efficient. Free coffee in the lobby in the morning. The room is clean and spacious. Beds are comfortable. There are refrigerators in every room. Very nice bar and restaurant in basement of building.

Bed provided the best sleep I’ve had in a while - luxurious...

Would recommend asking for a high room with a view ... we had the opposite. Nice room and big bathroom, but I do like a view.

Bed provided the best sleep I’ve had in a while - luxurious soft cotton sheets. Perfect!

Lovely hotel with a miserable breakfast!

Breakfast was very disappointing. There is a complete and interesting menu and the dining room staff was skilled and pleasant, but all three dishes ordered by our party were poor. If I went back I'd limit myself to coffee (it was decent) and a toasted english muffin!

The lobby is beautiful and our room was handsomely designed and well appointed: excellent bed, convenient outlets, reading lights, nice shower and amenities. Valet parking was very prompt. The receptionist was welcoming and informative.

A little more expensive than some other nearby options but this is definitely a nice place to stay!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

The line for valet was insane. We self parked at the garage a block away- and saw the valet guys running to get cars in the same place. We definitely saved ourselves so money and time by parking ourselves.

The room was extremely comfortable. We had a delicious breakfast at the hotel restaurant. After check in we asked for recommendations for dinner, the front desk clerk was very helpful and got us reservations at a great little restaurant. He was very helpful.

Overall beautiful place and very relaxing environment and room

The lighting in my room was very dim which was nice to set a mood but difficult to see clearly even with all the lights on. It appeared that one of the bathroom lights was not working and the shower also didn’t work at check in and a maintenance staff had to come and fix it.

The hotel itself is beautiful and conveniently located. The room was very nice and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Also we needed maintenance but the service was quick and she fixed the issue within a half hour. She also offered for us to change rooms or to allow use of a shower in another room as an accommodation.

Very comfortable, nicely decorated...will stay here again when in Providence.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Room needed a bit of maintenance...dripping faucet and broken bath plug in bathroom.

Great location, near Providence College...beautiful view of Statehouse.

Clean and modern downtown hotel

Valet parking was good but a little expensive at $30 per night

Modern and clean. Superb bed and bedding - very comfortable. Good downtown location. Helpful staff. Decent breakfast in the hotel restaurant - Public Kitchen. Gym facility.

There are so many small things management could do to boost appeal from my three star rating to a 4

Heat/cooling controls, lighting options, door fit going into the bathroom, wifi and business office computers, cost/appeal of breakfast.

The bed, pillows, and size of the room.

Best Hotel Experience Ever

From start to finish this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The valet service to the front desk staff to our waitress at breakfast, we could not have asked for a more friendly and accommodating group. The bed was super comfy, the shower/bathroom was huge and the portions at breakfast were plenty! We will be back :)

Good value

Shower pressure was poor. Biggest issue was controlling temperature. It was very stuffy, and I was not able to set the thermostat. The hotel should include instruction on how to reset the temperature.

Staff was very friendly

Our beds were very comfortable and the view of the capital...

The waitress at Sunday's, breakfast didn't write our order down...consequently bringing the wrong food. (toast instead of English Muffins...single order of bacon instead of a double order,,, also brought home fries instead of fruit.

Our beds were very comfortable and the view of the capital was spectacular especially when it was illuminated at night.

Seda at the front desk was amazing. The staff in the morning hours weren't as fri

The extremely thin walls with my neighbor. They played music that was very loud and I heard more than I wanted to during the late hours of the evening.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the weight of the linens were perfect. There was a mini-fridge which was very convenient. The bathroom was extremely clean even though there was a crack in the sink and the products were Aveda, which I use at home so that was a plus.

Overall it was very nice .

Traveled with a party of 3 andrequested 2 queen beds. At check in I was told that because I booked through booking. Com I could only be offered a king room with a chaise . They were out of rollaway beds and sleeping on a chaise for the evening was no treat!

Staff very nice

Near Providence College

The bed was too soft for my liking...bothered my back a bit. One of the bathroom lights was out.. Neither issue is a deal breaker. I will be back!

Very convenient to Providence College and right next to the State House. Easy check in with valets waiting out front to park your car and get your luggage inside. Check out was easy too...quick return of vehicle. The guest rooms are modern, spacious, comfortable and very clean. Easy to charge cell phone and laptops...free wifi. Bathrooms are spacious and very clean. Great bar with restaurant downstairs. Very friendly and helpful staff...

Great property and location

No spa .

Had dinner & breakfast at Public, the onsite restaurant was delicious. Go there every time I’m in town. Valet is always amazing at this location. Front desk staff are always happy to help and pleasant. You never feel like your going to have to jump over the counter and choke one of them. Oh and the scent they pump throughout the lobby is amazing!

Luxurious and friendly place to stay in an awesome city
    • King Room - Club Level

Staff were very accommodating and friendly throughout, allowing us a late check out and helping generally with directions and suggestions, as this was an unscheduled stopover from a missed flight connection

With my two daughters - did DIY face masks and just hung around in the cozy robes!

No Coffee cups in room and had to request - but mistakes happen.

It was way below zero, and blowing snow! The outside staff and people at reception were friendly and helpful still!! Loved that when needed extra towels/shampoo/robes they were quickly delivered Love that the gym is open 24/7!

Was in town for NYE and it was perfect for what I wanted and my personal standards.

No spa.

Bathroom was really nice. Aveda products. Bed was very comfortable and the room was a lot bigger than I had anticipated also had an awesome view of the statehouse.Front staff was super friendly and down to earth, yet professional. The scent they pipe through the lobby area is amazing! Valet was also fast and friendly! Had lunch at Public on site was Stellar! And they have a killer drink list.

I would stay here again and highly recommend it to others who are considering a hotel stay in RI.

The lighting could be improved in the hotel room as it seemed the room wasn't bright enough, and it was hard to find the switches for lighting. We were on the second floor and could easily hear other guests closing their doors loudly--not soundproof enough. Otherwise, everything else was great.

The room was great with soft, soft bed linens and wonderful bathroom. We had breakfast and dinner which were delicious. Our host, Brant, was very courteous and helpful with our dinner selections. Our room overlooked the State House!

Making Memories in The Renaissance

The menu in the restaurant could be a bit more modern

A fantastic hotel, great location and well equipped spacious room. The staff were so professional and friendly. Highly recommend The Renaissance

Very impressed with staff, room and location and wouldn’t hesitate to book again.

The front desk gentleman was so welcoming, professional , pleasant and helpful. My friends and I were so impressed .......I wish I could remember his name! Our breakfast was delicious, but again it was the staff and our waitress we were most impressed with. The rooms although a little small were very clean and nicely decorated and the common areas in the lobby were spacious and very comfortable.

We will definitely be back!

The valet parking was pricey in the hotel was a bit on the pricey side as well. I booked a room with two beds but there must've been some confusion from the website because we only got one bed but luckily they change this to a room with two beds .

The hotel decor is lovely and the restaurant staff was awesome.

Very friendly, comfortable and convenient play to stay.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

one elevator was under construction... that is the only thing i can think of to say!

Bed was extremely comfortable! Breakfast room service was on time both mornings! Valets were friendly and quick about getting the car!

Good but overpriced.

It is overpriced, really on the outrageous side for a small city like Providence paying over $300/night.

The room was very comfortable, well laid out. The bed/mattress/pillows were wonderful. The bathroom was clean and also well laid out. The history of the hotel is fascinating.

Well located, clean pleasant room with a great view.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

The room was absolutely freezing even after we turned the air con off.

The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was great. The bathroom could have used more products, such as q tips and cotton pads etc. We had a lovely view of the state capital.

Hotel was fantastic across all points. Avoid issues by booking direct - booking.com was horrible.

Booking.com

Hotel was fantastic. Dealing with Booking.com was like getting teeth pulled. Never again. Next time I book with Renissance, I will go direct.

Excellent hotel in downtown Providence
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

We booked a room 'with view' - There was no view. It seemed a bit expensive, would have been nice to get breakfast or even a complimentary coffee included. That said it was cheaper than some other hotels in the area at time of booking.

Very friendly staff greeted us on arrival and gave great recommendations for eating/entertainment in downtown Providence. Large spacious room, very clean and comfortable. Great location with very close proximity to the Amtrak station.

Disappointed

Hotel payment system, especially for Asian visitors. They only save your last name. It is easy to make mistakes and they did. They gave me a VIP card for breakfast, saying it's a free buffet to me and my friend. While when we came to the restaurant, the waitress said it is only worthy 20 dollar. Breakfast is so so. I also checked the pillow and there were stains.

Beautiful building

Comfortable, front desk and valets friendly and helpful.

Requested 2 beds and when arrived only had option of 1 queen bed or king. Also valet parked car, however forgot something in it so they had to get car in order for us to get. Not on property so could not get ourselves.

Close to events, restaurants, and shopping.

Staff was so helpful, let us check in early, and made the...
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Staff was so helpful, let us check in early, and made the night so special for my sister's bachelorette. Room had an amazing view of the capital building, bathroom was so clean and beautifully lit. I will absolutely stay again!

The hotel is very nice.

I have 0 complaints.

The hotel is very nice. The check in process was fast. I've stayed at all of the bigger hotels in Providence and this is in my humble opinion, the best.

A beautiful, centrally-located hotel with gorgeous views of the State Capitol

The valet staff was a bit disorganized. One specific evening we called the valet to have our car pulled around about 10 minutes before departing. When we arrived downstairs, our car was nowhere to be found. We stood outside for another 10 minutes and nobody approached us to ask if we needed help. After we inquired with the valet staff, they informed us that they had forgotten to retrieve our vehicle. We ended up arriving 30 minutes late to dinner due to this mishap. We also had issues with the room key. It demagnetized at least 3 times which forced me to have it fixed. That was quite an annoyance. When I asked the concierge if this happened often, he said that it did and that I should be careful not to put it near any cell phones. I always kept it in a separate pocket and it still had problems.

This hotel was stunning and decorated in such a beautiful way! It is located in a beautiful area of Providence with an incredible view of the Rhode Island Capitol building. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The staff was very friendly and even offered us an upgrade as we were celebrating our anniversary. They also refunded us a valet charge after discussing with them an issue that we had.

This location is in the heart of Providence, terrific!! Walking distance to everything...

The valet parking! Not the price, not enough parking attendance

This is a beautiful modern hotel. The rooms are stunning, elegant & sufficient. Supplies all one's needs. We will enthusiastically recommend...

Absolutely fabulous!

Just the person next door constantly slamming the door, but that wasn't the hotel's fault.

Impeccable service standards. The hotel was spotless. The room was huge and the location was perfect.

Could be better. Not sure we will stay here again.

Mistake was made in booking, so we got last room with no view instead of what we ordered. To attempt and make up for it, we were given access to business concierge facilities only front desk failed to give access to our keys. By the time we got it fixed, we didn't get a chance to use the concierge benefits. Not sure why it is closed on the weekend including Friday afternoon. Also, hotel ran out of coffee so we had no in room coffee for entire trip. Really? How do you run out of coffee. Send someone down to buy a bunch until your shipment comes in. Proactively give guests another option. Also, gym is a B-. Should be better in a hotel like this.

Staff great. Bar and Restaurant was fabulous!

I would come back to stay at this property.

Very comfortable beds. Hotel is well located and has several restaurants in the neighbourhood. It is also close -- within a short walking distance -- to the train station.

Need improve on service

I had moved in 4 pieces of luggages myself and the doorman just stood next to me. He definitely saw me but offer no help! The service does not match the price.

The classic outlook of the building. And spacious well-furnitured room.

The walls are very thin.

The walls are very thin. We heard the people next door which was especially awful at 4am when the man was yelling on an hour long phone call. Also the housecleaning staff was particularly loud in the hallways having long conversations with eachother early in the morning. Only got about 5 hours asleep for $500 dollars.

ok

THERE WAS NOT EVEN A SINGLE BOTTLE OF WATER IN THE ROOM...and the frigobar was empty...I couldn't beleve that...even a 5th category hotel would give you a botle of water!!! 👎👎👎

What you would expect

No onsite parking. The valet moves the car to a garage 100 meters away for $30 that you can drive to in 1minute on weekends for $8. Staff is nice but just doing their job.

Big room. Comfy bed.

Lovely hotel well located in the heart of Providence. Expect a warm and friendly welcome.

Rooms were a little too close to the lift core and so lots of footfall late at night - also surprised to note there were conference room facilities right opposite our room.

Warm and friendly reception on arrival. By far the best on our holidays Rooms were clean and tidy .

they did not have us booked on their books, when I arriveded...

they did not have us booked on their books, when I arriveded they said I had no reservation and sent us to the courtyard marriot,and marriot said I had no reservation their. so I went back.(and I got a room . I am not happey about that. I had to cancel my credit card because I thought it was a bogus scam. I want some compensation for all my trouble.

Breakfast waitress was very nice and attentive.

Parking always seems over-priced especially as you expect to tip the valet every time you use your car.

Breakfast waitress was very nice and attentive. Bed very comfortable.

I booked through Booking.

I booked through Booking.com and the hotel did not have our reservation even though I presented them with the confirmation number. They were able to give us a room at the same rate but it was a bit stressful initially.

Wonderful Stay

Valet parking was expensive

Excellent location Very comfortable bed Great view of state house from room Beautifully decorated Very quiet Polite and helpful staff

Beautiful Location.

Wouldn't do my aaa discount on arrival. Parking is $30 extra.

Location to walk everywhere and attached to 'the Vets' where we saw a show.

Annual Trip to Johns Hopkins CTY @RWU
    • King Room - Club Level

To be quite honest, the first thing you notice when you enter the hotel is the smell. It's extraordinary. Only after 4 years have I even thought to ask if it was for sale, and lo and behold...it is.

There was a large party staying on our floor, and they...

There was a large party staying on our floor, and they partied loudly until 3:30 in the morning, wandering the halls and being very loud. Security would come but they'd just continue anyway. There was no sleep to be had, and housekeeping was knocking on the door just as I finally fell asleep. Not the hotel's fault, but I didn't get my money's worth

After Decades of Neglect Eyesore Masonic Temple transforms itself and Capital Hill in Providence

Not much as this was our second trip to the facility in one month.

Historically significant, great location, well managed, handled special requests graciously and effectively. Jordy was specially helpful upon our arrival at our arrival time: 4:00 AM after traveling all night:)

Excellent Property With a Fantastic Location

Valet parking is too high at $30 per night, but it's a necessary evil.

Excellent location with a ton of great amenities nearby such as restaurants, bars, shopping malls, movie theaters and more!

Bed was very comfortable, room was very spacious.

Location is a BIT out of the way. We didn't mind walking but if you are looking for something more centrally located, I would go downtown. Fitness center is okay...no windows makes it feel a little too closed-in. But they have more than enough equipment for a decent on-the-road workout.

Bed was very comfortable, room was very spacious. The hotel felt VERY clean and everyone I interacted with from the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Showing 1 – 75