Reviews of Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel 4 stars

714 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10036, USA

#216 of 415 hotels in New York

Could have a basic kettle and coffee sachets/tea bags/milk in room (as opposed to tea/coffeemaker which we couldn't fathom out). Also breakfast on pricey side....

Large comfortable clean room with excellent walk in shower

• King Room - High Floor

Hot breakfast choice was a little limited, missed not having a bath in the room and the music system in the room didn’t really work.

Bed was very comfy. Location great and the view from the bar/restaurant was amazing.

LIFTS WERE NOT GOOD THEY ARE SLOW & INSTEAD TWO LIFTS YOU HV BUT USING ONLY ONE THATS NO GOOD FOR GUESTS WAITING.

I DIDNT USE YR FITNESS CENTRE. LOCATION OF HOTEL WAS GREAT.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Hotel personnel were always very helpful and attentive. The view of Times Square from the hotel's lounge cannot be beat! The hotel's location reference Broadway Theaters and restaurants is excellent.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Destination fee-basically forced us to get drinks every night in order to recoup the extra money they charged. This would have been fine if there was a full-service menu, but offerings were extremely limited. Why not just charge what is actually used, and refund the rest? We did just order a pot of coffee one evening and they were very accommodating.

Room was spacious, views were spectacular. Location perfect, situated in the center of everything. Subway station just steps outside the door.

A charge of $25 per room, per day that can be used towards many amenities but if not used, still charged.

Great location. Big comfortable rooms. Lobby is a great place to sit and chill. Staff were very helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The room did not have a microwave, and the coffee provided didn't taste very good. There were a few mistakes in the charges to my card; however, the staff cleared it very quickly once brought to their attention. DO NOT drink the water provided in the room, it is severely over-priced ($8 per bottle). You will see a charge on your statement for them, but I recommend calling and having that removed if you did not drink the water.

Valerie (I think that was her name) at check-in was phenomenal! I let her know that it was our first visit to NYC and she gave us a room with a wonderful view. Each staff member went above and beyond to ensure our stay was enjoyable. The room was EXTREMELY clean and the beds were so comfortable. The bathroom was very spacious, and the room was fairly big given that NY hotel rooms are generally small. The concierge was very helpful as we were interested in seeing a show on Broadway, but we had no idea how to get discount tickets. I caught the room at a discount price and got a pretty good deal. The lounge was very nice; however, the bartenders on Saturday night were less than enthused to be there. The location CANNOT BE BEAT. This hotel is right in the middle of everything -- literally, you can walk out of the door and you're in the middle of Times Square. I'm not sure if I would pay full price for the rooms, but if offered a discount price, I would definitely stay here again!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

On several occasions we went into the bar to have a drink, approximately 20 of the 25 tables were reserved. Another night we went to the bar and told it was closed for a private function. We were directed to a different area with a makeshift bar which only had a tenth of the drinks which they normally serve. When we asked for a drink which they didn’t have in this area, it was simply “nothing we can do”. We paid $360 a night and to be treated like that is unacceptable. They seem to be more bothered with the business man coming in of the street then the over paying guests who are staying in their hotel.

Location, staff, cleanliness and rooms all perfect.

Could have had more seating - on the 2nd night, we were unable to get a table at the restaurant so had to go elsewhere. I guess I should have made a reservation, however on the first night this was not an issue.

The restaurant was unbelievable with 3 sides with breathtaking view of Times Square! I loved it!!

Rooms need updating, warmer welcome, better security at reception - anyone can enter lobby area. No point in asking guests if they have any special requests if you have no intention of fulfilling them in any way. No point in making a reservation for the R Lounge 1 month in advance of the stay to be sidelined by the restaurant manager when you arrive on time and offered the worse table in the room! Not a nice welcome for repeat visitors!!

This was our 3rd stay at the hotel. The rooms need updating - very jaded. Whilst staff are not rude - they were not over welcoming or knowledgeable. Felt very impersonable which was disappointing when you are a repeat customer and a Marriott rewards club member. In a city which such variety and choice of accommodation the hotel will lose business if if doesn't up it's game! This was a special occasion trip for my wife and the hotel did not acknowledge this in any way despite being aware.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The bar closed early at 11 pm on Sunday and Monday nites and we were not aware of this but it is what it is.I couldn't complain about anything else.

Brilliant location and fantastic staff.Safe,clean, secure ,friendly. This hotel ticks all the boxes.The concierge both Jennifer and Matthew were so helpful with advice and booking trips.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

They have a great selection at the breakfast buffet, but would be nice if food was hot.

The Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel is conveniently located near theaters and restaurants. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and the staff is very accommodating.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Great location! Very nice bar area overlooking Times Square. Rooms were comfortable and bathrooms had ample counter space. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The only restaurant on site was booked for private parties on a couple of days that we were there which made the convenience of getting food on site poor.

• King Room - High Floor

For the money the room was small and needed updating. The window area in this particular room was very small and the window itself had a seal failure which precluded looking out at Times Square. I would rate the room as adequate but certainly not worth the very high price for this time of year.

The location is excellent. Times Square is a lot of fun and the access to Broadway shows could not be better. The dining room offers a full panoramic view of Times Square and the breakfast selection is excellent.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The room was rather small, however the furniture were well-situated. Bathroom door was a sliding door that had no lock.

the hotel is located exactly on Times Square. Although this area has heavy traffic 24/7, we were able to park temporarily in front of the hotel and leave it for valet parking. Facilities were very well maintained and clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The beds could have been a little bigger as two adults is was quite tight and comforter had a hole in it maybe updated bed covers and a bigger bed.

We had a great time at the hotel! Perfect location right in Times Square. Valet parking was convenient and at check out car was there in less than 20 mins! Loved the refrigerator in room lots of space for 4 people and closet room and bathroom was large enough to have two people standing at mirror! Overall a great experience and would recommend and go back!!

Our room was much smaller than I was expecting. Motel 6 has larger rooms. The room smelt like urine , we had to ask for 2 Days to clean the smell. We reported that the fridge didn't work and they never replaced it. We asked on day one if we could get batteries for the Television and we never got them even though we asked several times. I went to the dinning area on Day 2 to get coffee, waited 12 min and finally told the hostess " never mind the coffee, I will try again tomorrow ". Her reply "ok" Basically at this hotel you are on Time Square and have an Awesome View. Do not expect anything else Great Time in New York, I will definitely be back but not at this a Hotel... I am a Vetran and this trip was for Vetrans Day, the World Trade Center was a must for me

The view of Time Square Everything we wanted to do was very close. Most of the staff was very friendly and helpful The upstairs lobby was nice, however you have to be dining to view Time Square from the Lobby. It was my first Time in New York, so Happy I went

The parking was very scarce. Also valet was a little over priced but besides that this place was fantastic.

I loved the customer service and attentiveniess of the front desk ! We got upgraded to the terrace suite and I must say was one of the most unique hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. I have already recommended this place to friends and family it is an absolute must stay .

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

The staff at The Renaissance were simply amazing. They were helpful and kind. You can get reserved seating in their restaurant easily, we called for a table in 5 minutes we were down stairs looking at a clear view of Time Square and the clock tower. Simply worth it.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Excellent place to stay!! Very clean, beautiful e comfortable! I wish I had stayed longer there, but that was not possible... the restaurante inside has an amazing view!!! The food was delicious!! I will definitely come back as soon as possible!!

• King Room - High Floor

The grumpy staff at the bar One lady in particular didn’t crack a smile the whole time we were there We complained to the manager and he said it’s hard when you have worked in the same job for so long(no idea)

We liked the snack menu and the view from the lounge overlooking Time Square

• King Room - High Floor

The food - both breakfast and dinner was poor as was the restaurant service. No encouragement to eat in the hotel. Room could have been cleaner.

Location for first visit to New York was excellent as close to many of the main tourist attractions.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

A loud party going on in bar/restaurant made for uncomfortable dinner. We ended up going back to our rooms. Rooms were not luxurious but adequate. Make sure you are taking care of your staff, they were awesome but overworked. I like to be treated like the prodigal son coming home or like a king/queen for a day when I arrive..missed the mark a little..not many smiling faces but kind intensity...

Breakfast was full of variety including gluten free dairy free options and other healthy bites. Great view of the Times Square from both rooms rented as well as during breakfast. I appreciated that breakfast was made simple with vouchers. Holding our bags at concierge while we enjoyed our last day in the city was so helpful and kept my group happy traveling light through the city. Friendly staff. Location was great for Times Square and subway to Chinatown.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

I don't have anything bad to say

One of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in. Good toiletries (Aveda) for those of us that travel light. The front desk and our maid were very friendly. I didn't arrive at the hotel until 3am and the gentleman at the front desk was friendly and accommodating. Close to metro trains and plenty of good food options in the area. We weren't there to sight-see but there is most certainly plenty of that from the minute you walk out of the hotel. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

No free in-room wifi. For such a nice hotel and fairly expensive room rate we found it incredulous that the hotel did not offer free wifi in the room. Rip off prices for wifi. Also the public wifi in the lobby was useless as it rarely connected and was very slow when it did. In this day and age free wifi is a must in big hotels like this.

Location is excellent!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

The local calls are chargeable, no hand sprays in toilet and no free wifi in rooms. Cost of breakfast is not worth as the menu was very less.

Location is perfect

• King Room - High Floor

Enjoyed every bit! Nothing to dislike..!

The location was stupendous! We LOVE the property and will book again with Renaissance-Times Square! Safety in the location is perfect! The desk assistants were very helpful!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The cleaning service was poor. We had to tell them several times so that they would use the vacuum cleaner. We had the stain on the bathroom floor that was made on the first day last till our last day. Also the staff were not that friendly. They confused us with the breakfast fee as it was different each time we went, and they would just say "It wasn't me" and would not explain why we were charged more last time. The staff are not smiling and would not clearly answer to simple questions. It seemed they were lacking staff members especially in the morning during breakfast time because sometimes I could not even find one person that was present.

The room was comfortable and spacious, breakfast view was fantastic,and the location was perfect.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Staff went above and beyond to make you feel welcome and to help your needs- this was ALL staff. This is our second time here and we would go back in an instant. Very convenient to all Times Square, Broadway shows and attractions. I would give this more than a 10 if I could, just superior in every way!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Decor of the Rooms and the furniture are old . Lack of communication between the staff about my reservation and late arrival. Despite informing them about my late arrival, they gave away my category of room to someone.

Direct view of Times Square from the restaurant

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Cant think of anything , coz i wont be back if i didnt like my first stay.

The views from my room and the location of the place is very accesible to , trains ,Tsquare, restaurants, free wifi on the 3rd floor😃

As I said above the room was chilly. It was very quiet. Perfect for sleeping.

Bed was very comfortable. The room was chilly. We couldn't get any heat and there was no extra blanket. We had no hot water, I know it was it was problem with Con Ed. I think something should have been offered us for the inconvenience. I like my shower. Your staff was very efficient, pleasant and didn't keep after us for more drinks in the lounge. At breakfast, there was plenty of coffee, never had to ask for it. That was nice. The view was just spectacular.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

They messed up the number of beds we required on our first nights stay as we had three rooms booked but sorted it out the following day and kindly compensated us for the hassle.

This is the second time we've stayed here in the last 5 years and it's location is superb, beds comfy and everything else generally good..

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

I didn't like how my car was stored at a different location or how when checking out the bellhop was quite rude so I politely offered him the same courtesy! Breakfast was mediocre the 1st day we ate breakfast here they had it in a small banquet room and sat my family of four to a small two person round table....I did not fuss because hey its New York right.

I enjoyed the location.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Times Square Terrace Room with King Bed and Balcony

The hotel restaurant overlooks Time Square. It was ideal for people watching and soaking up the feel of the city. The food was excellent and the staff was superb. I highly recommend it!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Meals at the restaurant are small. The times sq view rooms doesn't realy have that much view, just some lights can be seen

The location was great like inside the times sq. And The staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The bed was not comfortable. Lumpy mattress and the covers were too short for the bed.

The location was perfect! Considering we were 2-3 minutes from so many destinations, the hotel was in a prime spot. Subway one minute from hotel. Spacious room for NYC hotel.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Wait staff kinda rude Housekeeping didn't do much on first day lest room messy and beds not made properly

Everyone super nice except for waitstaff. Seemed very put off

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

bathroom door, no exhaust fan. $550 for a room and you charge for water???

Close to all we wanted to see. Beautiful and exciting view of the city Great shows, "Rockette's", "Beautiful".

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The construction site outside our window waking us up at midnight and wasn't informed before we booked. Most of the staff were unpleasant and not helpful

Only the location

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

- Our stay was too short! - Building work starting early in the morning across the road from our room.

- The view from resturant over Times Square. - The interior decor. - Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Staff was unfriendly and clinical when asked to help on Wifi. Also was told that there is a charge for using Wifi when booking.com indicated it is complimentary when I made the booking. The room was lack of toiletries and toilet rolls, and when asked to deliver to the room, they took almost an hour to send, after making 3 reminder calls. We are frequent travellers who have been to most part of the country. For paying almost USD500 a night, the hotel can do better than this.

Location is great.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

I was disappointed with the rooms. Very funky looking lobby in the photos so expected the same for the bedrooms, but they were quite old fashioned and not hip as I was expecting.

Good location right on Times Square

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• King Room - High Floor

Perfect location: midtown, times square, just at the shoulders of TKTS. Room was comfortable and very well kept. The staff was friendly and professional. They helped us every way they could.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

The bed was a little too high for getting into.

Like the princess chair and the hideaway desk. The shower stall is amazing.a The sheer curtains were beautiful.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Aloha, This hotel experience was one of my worst memories of this summer's cross country journey. I'd like to be contacted by the hotel for some feedback on what took place and also the manner in which the staff did nothing to resolve the problems.

Location was exactly as we expected.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Staff got me an umbrella without my having to ask and put me in a cab on my way to my meetings. Very friendly. Very comfortable room with nice space for Manhattan.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

The picture of the balcony over-looking Times Square is only available to guests who have access to a certain degree floor.

The staff was friendly and very helpful, even for this family from the country.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

The only thing to have into account when booking this hotel is that if you are a person who does like tranquility and silence this ain't the place, as the hotel is in Times Square and there's people there 24/7.

The thing I'd liked the most about this hotel is where it was placed and the staff there was very helpful and friendly. Furthermore the hotel was very clean and rooms were in a very good condition all as shown in the photographs.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

The elevator had issues when the large group attending had to all leave at a certain time.

The morning view at breakfast as well as the food was outstanding. The security was very effective

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

The lifts were busy and had to navigate two for rooms . People kept overloading them and they broke (maybe concierge to enforce how many people get in- and highlight any alternative stair routes)

The most comfortable beds I've ever been on and the view over time square was amazing. It was very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. Even though it was next to construction work and a busy street there I was hardly able to hear it from my room (and I'm a light sleeper)

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• King Room - High Floor

Lobby was really very cold

Perfect location: on the Times Square Perfect view on the Times Square from the restaurant Friendly stuff Very close to many places: 5th Ave, Metro, Times Square, restaurants, bars, etc.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

• King Room - High Floor

same time but on 7/11/16 there was a different gentleman working the front area outside whom was engaged for over 20 minutes with a couple whom didn't seem attentive to his duties as it took 15 minutes or so for my valet vehicle to be returned to me

upon my arrival on 7/10/16 at 12:30pm the gentleman whom took my bags from my car was very courteous and professional even asked if i needed assistance with transportion around the city. my room was available before check in time which made things much more relaxing

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Restaurant have a limited menu for dinner. For Breakfast you have only one option buffet, no menu a la carte available. I had to ask for a shower cap because, it was not available in my room. The supplies that all hotels has availbale in the bathroom are limited. The shower walls need to be better clean.

The location is perfect.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - High Floor

Asked for a high floor which we got on the top floor (26th) but had a loud droaning noise which never stopped. By the time we realised it wasn't the air con we had unpacked so didn't mention it to the hotel staff. Didn't spoil our holiday though. Also breakfast is nice but very limited but the view from the restaurant makes up for it.

The location is excellent. The concierge Matthew was really helpful and gave us great advise on using the subway and helped us get cheap Jersey Boys tickets.

Very rude and disrespectful the guys at the luggage keeping and valet parking counter. Although the driver was nice.

Very nice at the reception.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Location to Time Square and all other amenities; very convenient, walking distance to all the fun events. Great hotel!

The bed was like a cloud and loved the pillows.

Excellent Location

No room service

Location was right in the middle of Times Square. Good location for tour busses and points of interest.

Amazing location

No free access internet Charges per day high

Location Cleanliness Helpful staff

• Executive One-Bedroom King Suite - High Floor

Dingigy lighting...dark decorating in lobby and next floor

Excellent breakfast,great people

we loved the mattress

It said it had a tub on the website, but there wasnt

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Check-in young man was very helpful and professional. The bar tender was also very professional.

Very old building, no facilities, and except the reception, the staff were not professional

Just the location in heart of NY

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Excellent location- comfy beds, didn’t have breakfast but it looked ok

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

Cozy environment and well served food.

Bed and linens exceptional. Bathroom luxurious. Service best!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - City View

No breakfast, no microwave, no free drinkable water, no exaust in bathroom

Excellent Location, good staff

Bed was gross, sheets and towels had many stains. Other wise everything else was nice.

No Club level