Reviews of Hotel Rex San Francisco 3 stars

562 Sutter Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA

#41 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

Good location and price.
    • Traditional Queen Room

Good location and price. The AC window unit was not providing cold air. It would have been good to have bar open longer for retail as we were late for managers reception. Building had nice historic look.

Great location and great style, may need renovation.
    • Standard Queen Room

The bed was like sleeping on a concrete slab. Sorry, but it was the truth. Never had such a hard bed in a hotel before...affected sleep quality.

The staff were very helpful. The art deco style was lovely. Needs renovation though, a little shabby in parts.

Great location , staff, cleaness, added hidden fees
    • Standard Queen Room

The extra , no choice , amenity fee! What is that? They saidany hotels in San Francisco did the same. Rhat should be stopped by Booking.com and other resevation site. Makes the price of booking and comparing not true.

Loved the freindly staff, fun coloful hotel, well located

Really liked the location.
    • Traditional Queen Room

Really liked the location. Close to lots of attractions. The price was really low. The room was little bit small but it was clean and comfortable. Overall very good experience.

position near Union Square
    • Executive King Room

I had reservation for the firsts 2 nights of our honeymoon. We arrived at the hotel at 1 am, the girl at front desk said that unfortunately there was no room for us, and that we could go to the near hotel Marriot but for the second night we had to return again to Hotel Rex. I gently asked the possibility to stay the 2 nights on the same hotel because I didn't want to change hotel and move all the luggages, but she replied that "unfortunately it was not possible". I also phoned to Booking.com but they couldn't find a solution after talking with Rex hotel staff and Marriot hotel staff. So I went to the Marriot hotel for the first night (at 1.00 am I had no other solution) and they gave to us the worst room that they had, on the floor where at 7,00 am bricklayers workers started to work and made us the . Second night I returned to Rex hotel and the rest of the staying was very good. My vote is because it is not correct to leave guests at 1.00 am without a room and without informing them before. It is the first time that happened to me in all the world. The vote I put is for the Staff is for the night-time staff. The day time staff was very gentle.

position near Union Square

Folks at Hotel Rex provided superb service which aided the comfortness of being home away from home.
    • Standard Queen Room

They could have informed me beforehand that they did not have parking and that they would charge for valet so that I can better budget my stay in such expensive city.

Friendly staff and rooms are cleaned daily without asking. This hotel is definitely a found treasure. I can honestly say I would not change this hotel for a chain of hotels like the Mariott, Hilton, etc.

other than the price inflation I enjoyed my stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room

elevator to small for property and I booked the room for around $700.00 when I completed the reservation it jumped up to over $800.00 then when I checked in it jumped up over $900 very deceptive pricing

location was good for my trip . the room was clean and staff friendly

Hotel Rex is good value for money in San Francisco.
    • Standard Queen Room

Our shower was not great.

The location near union square was perfect. The staff were friendly and the price for accommodation in San Fran was reasonable.

met and exceeded my expectation for a room in SF.
    • Standard Queen Room

parking always sucks in SF. but nearby garages are about 35$ per day. some places will give you a discount if you pay by cash.

Its about a 5 minute walk to union square. 20 minutes walk to china town. and 20 minutes through some sketchy streets to Bill Graham. pretty cool.

The parking sucks, but the front desk lady suggested one of...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The parking sucks, but the front desk lady suggested one of the cheapest parking structures around. I parked my par and because of the good location, we were able to walk or use public transportation to get around the city. Other than that, this hotel was good for our purposes of just exploring the city.

The location was very convenient
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The room is advertised as queen size mattress but it is really a full size. The prices at Booking.com are not the same as the actual hotel. Be sure to save your email confirmation with price quote. It was great having bicylces to ride, however the bikes were in disrepair and slightly dangerous. The hotel should invest in some nicer new bikes.

The location was very convenient

Charges a $21 "resort" fee in addition to the room...
    • Standard Queen Room

Charges a $21 "resort" fee in addition to the room fee which is a joke. Has a small sign at the check-in desk that says the resort fee includes 2 bottles of water and free wifi. Total rip off. We stayed here for 1 night for a wedding. In the morning I watched the owner (manager?) yelling at the maintenance guy to clean the sidewalk better, then flip a lit cigarette onto said sidewalk.

It was fun

Water wasn't hot just luke warm. The place was cool but very expensive for what you get. Ive actually rented rooms at marriot in other places cheaper. All in all it was nice. Had agreat time. Didnt see any breakfast tho.

Bed was comfortable. Room was clean.

Im going back and staying longer and the beds and pillows were like sleeping on clouds. A sweet kiss

Twas perfect.

We only had one night and it was amazing. The nostalgic Hotel Rex made me feel like I was in early 1900s Paris. Only a few blocks from Chinatown where my lovely wife and I ate like we were the King and Queen of Oceana.

Well located
    • Deluxe Queen Room - Disability Access

Once I found the door of my room open The price didn’t match the booking price (fixed by booking customer support) Feels old

Well located Has its own style

Not bad
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was a little run down and it was a nighmare to try to unload our luggage and to take it into the hotel because the hotel is on an uphill slope. There was no help with our luggage

The room was clean

The staff were amazing, particularly Orion at the front desk.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The staff were amazing, particularly Orion at the front desk. He answered many questions and was very patient and helpful. The bar staff were also extremely helpful, pleasant and fun.

Pleasant and would come again to this hotel.

My room had no air condition. I was getting dizzy and uncomfortable. Front desk staff moved me to another air conditioned room and I was happy.

Friendliness of staff, access to transportation and shops

Nice short stay.

Sheets.

Jeff and the staff were more than accommodating. They are the reason I would return. This is an older hotel. With that comes some of the 'character.' The floors lean in one direction. That's fine. The bed was comfortable. The sheets were rough. Softer better sheets would be very nice. Again, staff was excellent. Homeless are outside. That's true of many places in SF. Sad. Staff ensures the safety of their patrons.

It's a nice little quiet hotel, a decent value, but could use a little more attention to things.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Staff should check rooms better. My alarm went off in the middle of the night, leftover from last guest. Woke up, figured out how to stop it. Woke me 10 minutes later, 3:40 a.m. and had to move the bed to unplug it all. No lights. One bedside bulb was out and I had to ask for one. No hairdryer. I had to ask, Toilet almost clogged but finally flushed. It could use a style update. Breakfast server could be more alert and not on his phone scrolling.

It was quiet. Good location. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Bed was comfortable.Breakfast coffee was excellent.

1920s charm, but needs some restoration
    • Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel needs some serious updating. The furniture is old and stained. The carpet needs to be taken out, and there needs to be new padding and carpet put in (lumpy and stained). The bed was stiff and lumpy as well. The shower had barely any water pressure, as well as the hardware was not screwed in enough. The toilet required us to flush twice. For the money, not really up to our standards.

The staff was helpful and attentive. The 1920s vibe was nice. The locatio. Was nice as well.

Loved the location and feel of hotel. Wish I had time to take advantage of the happy hour!
    • Traditional Queen Room

The view out the only window was of an ugly wall of the building right next door. Also I could not connect to CBS on the TV. The other channels worked.

The location was perfect for my visit with my son but also because it is so close to everything.

Nice room with perfect location
    • Standard Queen Room

Carpets were cleaned every day but with lot of traces of some old stains made feeling it's not so clean.

Great location, nice and comfort room. Free bottled waters every day.

good value in an excellent location.

Not that keen on the designs/pictures painted onto the walls.

Tasteful ‘old style’ hotel. Lovely bathroom. Nice bar, free happy hour! Great to share books!

It is good and I would probably recommend it.

It is a little outdated but okay for me personally. I wish I had access to my car when I use the valet parking as I had children with me and needed to access some equipment that at first I didn't get out of the car.

Very nice people at the front desk. The rooms were clean, not spot less but clean enough. We could check out until 12 pm which is great to have time to go have breakfast.

Good hotel, staff were friendly. Would consider staying again.
    • Traditional Queen Room

Rooms of the same type can vary in size. My bathroom was very clean but looks a little tired. In room fridge (not a in room bar, just an empty fridge) and air conditioning unit were quite loud, I shut them both off at night. Fortunately the room didn't get too warm during the night (it is winter after all). Just as an aside, the price given by booking.com was technically incorrect. The hotel amenity fee is subject to local taxes and booking.com miscalculated this as it didn't include these.

Friendly & helpful staff, fantastic location. Rooms vary in size (as my friends and I found, my room was great however) even of the same type. Rooms and Bathrooms were clean (bathrooms are a little tired). The hotel has free coffee in the morning for and free wine for an hour in the evening for guests which was really cool. I would consider staying in this hotel again if I was traveling with friends.

Great staff, nice hotel, reasonable room but rubbish wifi.
    • Standard Queen Room

Room was a bit small and wifi wasn't good. Could not get the better paid option working so was quite frustrating.

Good room in very central location

This hotel was adequate but there are nicer options in the same area for the same price or better.

The building is very old and some of the updates to the room look cheap and not very attractive. The window faced a very confined space so there was little air flow with the window open necessitating use of the window air conditioner which is noisy. The window also did not lock when it was closed due to the ac unit. The bed was hard and felt old. The common areas were very worn looking and the carpeting looked dirty. I had recently stayed in two different hotels in the same area and felt both were nicer for less money.

The staff was very pleasant and the location was convenient to Union Square. The room was clean and quiet.

While the location was good I would not stay here again.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

I thought the room was VERY small and when I had issues with internet twice the front desk was not able to assist and said to call back when someone else was at the desk. They did credit me the resort fee of $21 which was high for internet, water and 1 hour of wine (5-6). Never made it to happy hour as the times were way too early. Great location though. Carpets seemed very dirty and I didn't want to walk on them. Water pressure not that great.

Hotel Rex is a nice boutique hotel with excellent service.
    • Standard Queen Room

The bed wasn't extremely comfortable but fine for one night.

Great location, just a block from Union Square. Friendly service~ Had a delicious macaroni and cheese at the bar/restaurant on the property. Bicycle available for use.

Location was great.
    • Traditional Queen Room

Room décor needs to be cleaned up/updated. Hall carpets as well as room carpets need to be changed,

Location was great. Happy hour a plus. Friendly and helpful staff.

I was looking for a Boutique hotel and that is what I found.
    • Traditional Queen Room

I was looking for a Boutique hotel and that is what I found. It was built in 1907 and the current decor is artsy and literary. Personally, I really liked the feel and the staff were helpful and pleasant. GREAT location! Upfront: I booked it with a deal and we got a 'standard room' with a double bed. No frills. No view. That's ok...I didn't come to SF to sit in my room and gaze out a window. The room was small (expected) and very clean. The bed and linens were crisp and clean. For me the only downfall (hence the 4 stars) was the window (if there was a view) was so dirty I couldn't see what little view I did have. Also, the carpet had a big stain on it in the doorway and that was something, that I felt should have been cleaned... We did go to the Library Bar for a glass of wine during their wine hour and that was nice and the wine was decent. However, there was no food being served from the kitchen and the bar tender only brought nuts out to those that asked about the menu. Would have been a nice touch if we were all offered some nuts or a little something to nibble on. All in all, I liked the place. I would go back; however, not without a deal. For what you get I think it's rather pricey. Also, they do offer parking but it's at $55 (with tax) a night.

Please take the time to read my review
    • Standard Queen Room

We stayed here New Year's Eve, consequently ended up paying approximately triple the regular rate. On entering it is quaint, but gloomy lighting, the staff were accommodating and friendly. The Rex is centrally located, and very old, I would like to say that it would benefit from updating and refurbishment but the rooms are very small and the ceilings are very low, making the rooms extremely warm / hot. Despite being New Year's Eve we had no heater on in the room and had to switch on the air con.The hotel and room were clean enough although the carpets could do with shampooing. The elevator is very small, it’s a squeeze to get four people in. There were no tea or coffee facilities in the room, which is very barebones but at the regular rate, I guess you get what you pay for. The problem is the added “Resort Fee” of $21.00 per night, you definitely don’t get what you are forced to pay. There is no gym, no, pool, no spa, nothing remotely connected to a spa. On checking out I asked about the “resort facilities,” I paraphrase, “ There’s two free bottles of water in the room, Oh you can loan one of our bikes,” sure, the steep hills and traffic in San Francisco make them ideal, NOT! To bad if you’re an elderly guest or disabled the bikes aren’t going to be of use to you, but you’ll still end up paying for them, with the “Resort fee” whether you use them or not, as will everyone else. This is a fee without justification. We also ended up paying $46.00 for Valet parking. This hotel is rated 3 star, I assume that the hairdryer hanging in a bag on the back of the bathroom door and the ironing board in the closet give it this status. Reality is, this hotel is 2 star. The basic question is, would I stay there again, no!

The staff were friendly and accomadating.

Would NEVER stay in this hotel EVER again. Make sure to check your final hotel bill
    • Deluxe Queen Room

extremely old hotel. Bed was uncomfortable. Had to ask to provide and then refill supplies in bathroom. They refused to get my car for Valet at night. The staff on front desk was drunk. Before check out, I noticed a $950 and a $775 charge on my credit card. On enquiring they said my bill was $890. After a lot of arguments they bothered to check their records and realized, that I was charged a higher price/night for room and also charged for parking of two cars. There is more s***t, that I can go on and on!

The location is central, close to most attractions in San Francisco and easy access to public transportation if needed.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Cute gem right near Union Square
    • Standard Queen Room

Fantastic location, very helpful staff, comfortable room. Right near Union Square, lots of shops around but reasonably quiet at night. We felt safe walking around and enjoyed free happy hour drinks at the hotel bar. Would definitely recommend!

Pleasant and convenient place to stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The mandatory US$21 Resort Few imposed per day that comes with some additional services being offered or upgraded was strange as it wa positioned as a compulsory surcharge by all hotels in San Francisco since Aug. We did not use the additional or upgraded services at all and was not aware that it was mandatory. We appreciate the front desk staff for waiving this off although initially he was relunctant. Shower tap was leaking and the water splashing out wet the ceiling and floor when using it. Took 2 days to rectify it.

The location was very near to Union Square and it is a safe and clean location. Not too much homeless people around.

Quaint and quiet
    • Standard Queen Room

It was a little too far off of Union Square and public transit.

The property was clean and the staff was friendly. Because of the location, it was fairly quiet.

Good location, close to Union Square.
    • Standard Queen Room

Small room/bathroom. Noisy air conditioning unit and a lot of street noise. Unexpected $21 a night charge added to the bill when checking out, was told this was to cover complimentary facilities at the hotel eg use of bicycles and tea/coffee in the morning!!

Good location, close to Union Square. Decor was good

like sleeping in a coffin
    • Standard Queen Room

I'm 6'2 and those rooms were sardine boxes. very small for the price. id rather fork up an extra $20/$30 a night and stay at a big name hotel.

staff was great

Staff could have been a lot more helpful. They did not know their facilities printed on room notice.

The hotel was old. Staff could have been a lot more helpful. They conformed that they had ordered the free transport. This did not arrive. Similarly, did not arrive for another guest who was waiting.

The primary reason for selecting the property was for its location and a tour we were taking from San Francisco.

Everything was perfect. Couldn’t have asked for a better hotel

Our daily water wasn’t always refilled (as promised 2 bottles were to be delivered daily) and we didn’t have the greatest view. But trust me, those were the only negative points. Truly loved the hotel

Quiet, clean, and in a perfect location

Good coffee in the morning (in a few mornings coffee was...

There was an unpleasant and strange smell in the lobby and on the halls. No shower gel, just soap

Good coffee in the morning (in a few mornings coffee was really great) Location Pillow

The location of this hotel is perfect for walking around San...
    • Traditional Queen Room

The location of this hotel is perfect for walking around San Francisco! I loved the unique decor and quotes on each floor. The bed was super comfy and the staff was super nice. Loved our stay here!

San Fran is expensive. This place is nice to save money without being far from attractions.

The bed was a little firm, smoke from nearby wildfires came into the room at night (but I don't know if that is avoidable, others at nearby hotels said same thing), and the elevator is old and slow. Lobby smells a little musky.

The pillows were comfortable, the staff was friendly. Decoration similar to other boutique stay hotels. Check in and out was simple. Water in the shower stayed hot. Wifi was dependable for my needs. Happy hour and coffee nice touches.

An oasis of tranquility after busy days in SF

nothing negative to record

We liked just about everything: beautiful 100 year old buiding, close to Union Square, quiet, nice, clean room, fantastic 5 o'clock free wine in the first floor, helpful staff

Love the room decor and the library bar, staff is excellent.
    • Standard Queen Room

Chairs in library bar are very uncomfortable. Springs are shot on the upholstered pieces and chairs by tables are rickety and hard to lean back on. If u want folks to stick around should really think about replacing.

Love the room decor and the library bar, staff is excellent. We have stayed here several times, it's our hotel of choice when in SF, it's near everything.

Beware of amenity fee
    • Standard Queen Room

Pretty old interior in need of refurbishment. Not all rooms had aircon, so do ensure you check this before you book. Also, a $20 amenity fee was charged and was not obvious at the time of booking.

Staff were accomodating.

Did not honor Booking.com rate, so the rest is irrelevant.
    • Traditional Queen Room

Hotel did not honor the Booking.com rate. We were charged $41+ more than the "guaranteed" rate. This was disguised as an "urban amenity fee." We did not want or use any of the so called "amenities" (coffee service in lobby, use of a bicycle, etc.)

Cozy and romantic, right in the centre, but check the parking.
    • Standard Queen Room

No parking, although it advertises. Valet ($49) is ok if you're staying for full day, but not for overnight. Then you need to check public parking or 2 hours on the street. Extra charges for the "tourist tax" around $35 add up to the price, so the stay in SF becomes expensive, but this is probably the best option there is.

Right in the center, very cozy - it is not a large chain hotel, but clean and comfortable.

Wifi didn't work on the top floor but did ok in the lobby. Noisy street, but it is downtown San Fran. Pricey but everywhere is around here.

Location to Union Square great, most things walkable from here. Good room size. Nice happy hour coupon system.

Great location but not worth the price.

The hotel is in a VERY old building and it felt extremely unsafe.....floors slant and there are cracks in the walls. May not be the place to stay in an earthquake!!! Also the air conditioning in the entire place is antiquated - ineffective and noisy.

The location is superb.

The location was excellent but I would direct place more to couples, not necessarily friends/family.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Who knew that air conditioning in San Francisco would be an issue? It hit 100 the week we were there. That said, the small window unit in the room was greatly appreciated. However, the placement of the bed right next to the window unit was quite uncomfortable as we needed both beds. I just ended up sleeping at other end of the bed so that I would be directly in the path of the air flow. Could have used more towels. They were provided upon asking but I think it's nice to have two towels per person upon checking in. I did notice people with dogs which didn't bother me at all. I knew it was a dog friendly hotel. What I didn't notice was a "green space" anywhere near the hotel - just nice to know.

The beds were very comfy, the room was roomy, and the bathroom was large and provided plenty of hot water. The staff - O'Ryan (sp?) and Debra (possibly Cora?) were very nice and helpful. I Especially appreciated the way O'Ryan handled our ride to the airport situation. Apparently, the ride showed up the day before even though all our records (hotel and mine) showed it was supposed to be Sunday. O'Ryan stayed on it and got us another driver and we made it to the airport very comfortably and with time to spare! Thank you O'Ryan!!! The bartender (Tony?) was lively and seemed to really enjoy his job.

Free glass of wine for happy hour!
    • Standard Queen Room

There was no a/c, They did provide a fan and the window opened, which was ok -- a ceiling fan would have been more helpful.

Free glass of wine for happy hour!

Great hotel, poor staff response.
    • Deluxe Queen Room - Disability Access

Staff did not reply to emails before I arrived and after I left. I simply no reply. My bill was also higher than Booking noted (and Booking gave the price with taxes and the Urban Amenity fee).

Great character of the rooms

The room was extremely small and packed with oversized...
    • Standard Queen Room

The room was extremely small and packed with oversized Furniture. I was shocked when I arrived and only planned to spend one night. I would not recommend to anyone, let alone to people.

The location was excellent, a few minute walk from Union...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room could have been bigger. Staircase kind of narrow.

The location was excellent, a few minute walk from Union Square. The neighborhood is safe enough to walk at night. Very close to coffee shops, pharmacies, etc. Very close to China Town. I really liked the style of the hotel.

Never again at this tired hotel without security in an excellent location.

Overall smell of the hotel is musty. First room we vacated at 11:00 pm smelled exactly like a sewer. We had complained about the odor twice previously after check in. The first time-no response from housekeeping. The second time air freshener was applied which did not last.

Only the location

Good trip, great stay! We will be back!

The room was hot, even with the window A.C.. Valet parking is $49 a night, which is slightly more than other places in the neighborhood. With that being said, there was no other parking options given by the hotel. Valet or bust.

Staff is SUPER friendly and very knowledgeable. The soap and lotion given smell amazing and work really well. The decorations are very chic. GREAT LOCATION!! Extremely reasonable price. The bar was also cute. It had unique drinks with a swanky feel. ♡

Perfect!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very generous and lovely staff. Great room. Perfect location. Beautiful art deco building and even had free drinks at the bar between 5-6pm, loved my stay there.

Somewhat disappointed.

Our room was facing the street and we had two nights of unbearable noise from street repair work and trash pickup! We only got one maid service for seven days and no clean linen. We didn't receive the daily bottles of water we were promised! The final bill was nearly $200 more than what was shown by Booking.com!

We like the staff and the daily free wine hour. We liked the location being so close to shopping, and restaurants.

Like staying with friends.
    • Executive King Room

We we quite disappointed to find that they didn't serve breakfast on the weekends.

The Rex is like staying in a friend's home. Everyone there was friendly and efficient. Food was good. Library bar charming.

Good tourist base
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was very small for the 2 double beds. The 3 of us were crowded. The street outside was busy and somewhat noisy at times. The street was also dirty and littered with trash, with no attention to picking it up. It would have a been a small effort for the hotel to address that.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The valet parking freed us of the hassle of parking in a crowded city. The location was excellent, close to Union Square and the Powell street cable car. The hotel bar and lounge were comfortable.

Lovely boutique hotel to stay at when activities are in the center of SF.

The staff was very helpful. The king size bed was wonderfully large and comfortable. Also, the room was very quiet and we slept very well. The bar can be very energetic .

Location was great, near union square, staff is so friendly.
    • Deluxe Queen Room

Didn't provide breakfast in weekends, so if you want to have breakfast in the weekend in the nearby places go early, otherwise you have to wait in line for a while

Location was great, near union square, staff is so friendly. Room was quiet despite it's just right next to the street.

Good value in a prime tourist location.
    • Standard Queen Room

Room could use an upgrade. There were stains in the rug and curtains were torn.

Location was great in the heart of the Union Square area. Staff was friendly and tried to offer services and amenities of a larger hotel. Toiletries smelled wonderful. Rooms were nicely appointed and TV offered many stations which not all boutique hotels in SF offer. Small restaurant on the premises which I did not get a chance to use, except to enjoy the free tea in the morning.

Excellent service, excellent hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The price frankly. But it was pride weekend so that may have accounted for it?

We were upgraded from a double room to a king suite. It was huge and spacious. Could have comfortable slept four people. The service was EXTRA attentive!

Great location with old time flair.

Nothing really

Loved the theme and location of the hotel. Close enough to Union Square, but just right off enough to keep you away from the chaos. Awesome old bohemian style hotel with very friendly staff. Very nice bar area on the main floor. Dont expect a resort or anything.

Nice staff
    • Standard Queen Room

It was a problem to check in with my german debit card. I do not understand, why I cannot just use my ID and cash. In the end it was resolved, but I spent 1 hour and called my bank 3 times :(

Nice staff

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Complementary glass of wine each evening :D and a lovely...
    • Executive King Room

My personal laptop connected to the Internet just fine via the wireless connection. From my work laptop, I was sadly not able to resolve a proxy server setting issue so was never able to get to the hotel sign-on page required for connection.

Complementary glass of wine each evening :D and a lovely couch in my spacious room (Traditional Queen Room w/ queen bed). Ultra quiet at night at the end of the hallway with windows facing the leafy green interior of the block.

Hotel is in an excellent location.

They were overbooked 1st night

Was very good location. However they were over booked 1st night and we had to stay down the road at the sister hotel which was poor in comparison.

Perfect spot to stay to appreciate SF
    • Standard Queen Room

Clean bathroom, clean beds. Cozy library/club area for glass of wine or coffee. My breakfast eggs and potatoes were fresh and delicious. Staff very welcoming to me traveling on my own.

It was perfect for my two-day business trip.
    • Standard Queen Room

No breakfast is served, but it comprehensible due to the lack of space in the facilities. It is a good cost-benefit.

Nice location, very convenient. Comfortable bed!

Hotel Rex - a very good value near Union Square
    • Standard Queen Room

The staff is friendly and helpful. If the goal is to stay near Union Square, then this hotel is a match. I enjoy this particular hotel due to personal history that pertains to the property, so I will limit my comments to the above, objective, facts.

Location was great - too bad hotel wasn't.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The wallpaper in the room was peeling off and the drapes had tears in them. The room just wasn't up to par. It was like a motel 8 and I should only pay 39.99 for that. Also, the hotel gave me a receipt for one amount but they charged a different amount to my credit card.

The staff was great and the location was great.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The room was very warm for a stay in April when it was in...
    • Standard Queen Room

The room was very warm for a stay in April when it was in the 60s outside. There was a fan, presumably to cool the room, but it literally did absolutely nothing. The other big negative was getting awoken at midnight by a radio alarm that we didn't set and was almost impossible to turn off.