Reviews of Roger Smith Hotel 3 stars

501 Lexington Avenue, Midtown East, New York, NY 10017, USA

#161 of 415 hotels in New York

Good old stand by for mid-town Manhattan thanks to friendly staff and comfortable room.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Could have more outlets to plug in laptop and iphone. Air conditioner was very noisy.

Friendly staff, comfortable room where you can actually walk around without tripping over your suitcase.

Roger Smith is a disappointing boutique hotel on every level.
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

First, we weren't allowed to check in at 3:00pm as is their policy. We waited until after 5:00pm. Next, the room wasn't what we were promised, a Junior Suite with a King Size Bed and a sofa sleeper. Instead we had 2 doubles with a small loveseat sleeper. Furthermore, what does it take to get items such as washcloths, hand towels, and soap replaced? They ask that you reuse towels, etc., which we did. However if they take a washcloth/hand towel shouldn't they replace it? The Roger Smith Hotel must spend a fortune on soap because ours was never replaced. They also have about 5 premium HBO/Showtime Channels - not one worked. Their check out is Noon. At 8:45am, the morning of our checkout, 2 maids and a maintenance man knocked on our door and said we needed to check out because they had to shut off the water and clean our room. My wife answered the door because I was coming out of the shower. She said, "We aren't close to ready." The man said something to the effect it had to be done, to which I yelled out, "Check out is Noon and that's when we are leaving." From my tone they could tell I was serious so nothing more was said. As we left for brunch I spoke to the front desk and they apologized and told me the water to the whole hotel would be shutoff at 11:30am. But what was that all about and why our room at 8:45am? When going to the front desk, good luck with having anyone who works after 4:00pm give you eye contact. One man in a t-shirt never looked up as I tried to ask a couple of questions. He wasn't looking at his computer screen so whatever it was it must have been important. When traveling with my wife I try to book boutique hotels because she likes that they are quaint, and the decor. Roger Smith was a major disappointment. No concierge, no doorman, it wasn't quaint and the art they praise themselves for included maybe 4 pieces.

The Roger Smith motto is "It's an idea". Well, it's a bad idea if they think this is a first rate boutique hotel. There was one good thing about The Roger Smith Hotel - the location. Everything else failed miserably.

Great attention, comfortable rooms and great location.
    • Queen Room

I wish the rooftop bar would be a little bit bigger but I understand... it's NY! During summer when running A/C it could get little loud.

This is my 3rd stay for business and I have to say their beds are great. Super comfy and room is well equipped. Located in the business district of east midtown. Close to all main attractions, great dining. Staff if professional, corteous and always ready to solve any problems -literally, from having an umbrella ready, problems in your room, or just have a silly question :) -

Cozy boutique hotel
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Oh I like pretty much everything :)

It's cozy and comfortable. I keep coming back and they always give me an unique room, looks like every room is kinda cute style. It's really high recommended.

If you don't intend to respond complaints, don't ask me everytime when I log on WiFi.
    • Premium Suite

There are several huge fans outside my room. The fans are very noisy and there are waters keep dropping on air condition, very very annoyed. I eventually had to sleep on coach there. I have made complaints on the 2nd day, and left complaint message every time I log on their in-room Wi-Fi asked about customer comments. There is no respond nor feedback from any staff during my 6 days stay. They just treated me as non-existed customer, maybe just because they don't think I will come back NY again. The hotel is old, the staff are unfriendly, and their ignorance on my complaints is totally unacceptable. I paid $400 dollars per night and stayed 6 nights there. This is definitely not a place you should choose. I will not recommend it at all as a frequent business traveler.

Location is great.

Perfect location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Unfortunately no proper breakfast. But, at the end of the day, no need to worry about breakfast options in the heart of NY.

Perfect location. 24/7 store accross the street.

Centrally located botique hotel
    • Queen Room

The bed in our room was not big enough (around 150 cm max.). When we approached the reception we were told that we had booked a queen room and that our room was the biggest available room in the tariff we booked. If we wanted a bigger room, we would need to pay an extra $30 per night fee for the upgrade. Off course,, since we would be out most of the day, we did not want the upgrade. However, booking.com mentioned the bed size as 150 to 180 cm when we did the booking online. So, I guess booking.com should verify such information before putting it up on their website. If we would have known that the bed was not more than 150 cm, we would probably have looked more options (especially when sharing it with our 4 yr. old kid). When considering this, we would say that we probably paid a bit more for the value we got (we know we are talking about Midtown Manhattan)...

The hotel was located downtown in a central location (15 minutes walk from Times Square). Although there was no restaurant in the hotel, free muesli and yoghurt was available at all times. Additionally, cold water was also available in the reception 24x7. On our check-out day, our check-out time was extended by an hour at our request. Sophy (at reception) helped us with the late check-out...

Excellent Location, Good Value, “Jazz Age” hotel.
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

As always, classic art deco Jazz Age hotel, comfortable, clean, great location, helpful and professional staff. Always our first choice when in the City.

Antque Boutique Hotel
    • Queen Room

All is great only the beautiful antique bed making lot of nosy

It's very comfortable and cozy. The standard room with the new renewed bathroom is beautiful and functional. High recommended.

• Queen Room

This hotel is very tired. It is not how it shows in the pictures. We had no water pressure in our room so it makes taking a shower and flushing the toilet a little trickier.

A wonderful hotel with exceptional staff!
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

If you are expecting quiet in NYC then look elsewhere. The sounds of the city are there early and late. What would you expect in the heart of Midtown.

This hotel is in a great location. The rooms were cozy and the beds were comfortable. The staff were above all. I have stayed many nights all over the country. No staff have ever gone as far as these to make my stay easier and more enjoyable. It truly is a great hotel.

Lovely
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

We were surprised by our room. The room was bigger than we expected, was more a like a small apt. Extremely pleasant surprise. The king size bed was amazing. Also it had a small kitchen which included an espresso machine. In addition, you could get free yogurt, granola and fruit at the lobby anytime.

It's a cozy boutique style hotel.
    • Queen Room

the bathroom is kinda small, it was hard to open the door because the door opens inside the little bathroom

Nice room, the bathroom is kinda small, I know it's an old construction. I like the room with king bed with nice windows and lot of clarity. Oh I had been once at the 15th floor and last time at the 10th. Yep on 15th is much quiet. :) Sure I go back, already have a reservation for this 23rd.

Fantastic
    • Premium Suite

The hotel is lovely but be prepared for noise from the surrounding air vents and in general. Only to be expected though given the central location in New York.

I stayed in a premium suite - it was like having my own apartment in New York! The individual style of the rooms make it a real home from home.

Nice staff, comfortable room but no more luxurious than a "Travelodge."
    • Queen Room

Room was "clean" but furniture upholstery and carpet tired looking with old stains, in need of makeover. Visible cracks in crown molding of ceiling, mismatched tiles in the bathroom and poor looking grout (possibly from past repairs). You can tell it is a charming old hotel that has been redecorated but never updated facilities.

Staff extremely friendly and helpful, comfortable room temperature (spring time), spacious room with large closet and comfortable mattress.

Great Stay! Good Location!
    • Queen Room

There were sounds at night on the pipes in the room, it was eventually, not all the time. Everything else was great.

Location of the hotel is great, you have Central Park and Grand Terminal on a walking distance and cafes and restaurants everywhere. The beds were very comfortable. The free yogurt and apples very nice!! Also we receive a courtesy the first day because of my honey moon!

A place with Personality
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room we had still had a grubby wall to wall carpet, and some dark smudges on one wall from a former resident with a bike in the room. Although we mentioned it, the wall was dirty all week. Some of the rooms appear to have hardwood in the pics, but ours didn’t. We had a broken DVD player which did get fixed the day after we reported it.

The yoghurt and granola, and the ever present free apples were a nice touch. Good beds and lovely blankets. The heating was nice hot water rads. Quirky place.

Have been going to the RS for many years, one of my favorite...

Check in time

Have been going to the RS for many years, one of my favorite places in NYC, how the hotel is handled and it’s low key simple concept as well as the expositions is appealing and makes me feell at home away from home.

Fantastic Hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent location. Nice large room which was spotless. Staff very friendly and helpful. Beds were very comfortable. Loved it, we will definately return.

Great staff, good sized rooms in central mid-town
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

If the rooms had better sound insulation (both from the street and other rooms / the hallway) this hotel would have been just about perfect.

Fantastic, friendly staff and good sized rooms. Very convenient mid-town location. This hotel features art and is decorated a little differently from your standard boring business / chain hotels. A lovely bonus to have granola, apples and yoghurt freely available in the lobby, especially when the weather was lousy and an early morning meeting beckoned.

Cheap, but the property shows it.
    • Queen Room

The floors were creaky, the bathroom tiles cracked and stained, and the windows let in all the new York noise. This hotel needs a complete renovation to bring it into this century.

The location is great. That is it.

Very pleasant.
    • Queen Room

They could offer coffee as well as apples, muesli, and yogurt in the lobby.

The location was excellent and the staff was extremely friendly. The decor was also lovely.

I really liked the free yogurt in the lobby.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Comfort wise, the room was cold since cold air came through the sides of the air conditioning unit in the window. The wifi was slower than expected. I was on the 4th floor, the noise from the street sounded like I was sleeping on the street.

I really liked the free yogurt in the lobby. I got in late the night I checked in and didn't want to go out looking for something to eat. The yogurt and granola did the trick that night. I liked the spacious bathroom. Not something you usually get in New York City.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Felt like Home!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were comfortable, rooms were quiet and bathrooms were adequate with nice amenities. Nice one cup coffee maker in room which was easy to use. The staff made us feel like family and took care of us every step of the way! Enjoyed the family vibe of this hotel and would stay again based on that alone.

Good hotel in midtown for a short stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was very hot and stuffy and we think that a few times it made us feel quite unwell. The heater was old and loud -- definitely worth getting the hotel to look at it

Good sized room, great location, friendly staff, free apples, passes to a decent local gym, fast check in and out

I would recommend .
    • Queen Room

No dislikes. Being in the centre of New York, there is some night noise ( occasional alarms ) however this certainly did not stop us from sleeping well after a day treading the streets. We were on the 15th floor, nearer to the ground may have been noisier.

The bed was really comfy- nice room. Great location - very central close to Grand Central station , & the Chrysler Building. Helpful friendly staff and a relaxed vibe. Great to be able to pop down and snack on granola and yoghurt /apples . Nice and clean . The trip was a 60th birthday present - the staff brought up a card and little cake- nice personal touch.

Fabulous can't wait to come back
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The first room we had the mattress was uncomfortable. Once we spoke to Sophie this was rectified immediately and we changed room.

Staff were great for any information and tended to our needs happily and efficiently.

The location.
    • Queen Room

The bed, shaky and noisy. The bathroom didn't work properly. Needs to be modernized.

The location. The general old-fashioned atmosphere of the hotel.

Great qulaity / Price
    • Queen Room

Some like it vintage... I say some things are just old!

Liked the free yogurt! good quality for the very reasonable price. Well located and friendly staff

The hotel met all of our expectations but the staff exceeded them!
    • Queen Room

Subway stations are in a 8 minutes walking distance.

The hotel was GREAT! Clean and comfortable, awesome location, and of course the amazing Sophie and the rest of the staff! We stayed there for 2 weeks and they made us feel at home! Considering our long stay and the fact we came with a baby they gave us a larger room and they were just awesome! Definitely will be returning!

Totally recommend it!
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

The room was great! Main bedroom with king bed, huge living room with a comfy sofa bed for 2. Everything clean, it has a kitchenette in case you want to eat at the apartment, complementary coffee and in the lobby they have free greek yogurt and cereals, which were fresh and many flavors to choose from. Don't miss the roof top bar! Casual, nice views and the servers were very nice.

A warm and inviting hotel in a large city is a rare thing!
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The staff were wonderful! Nothing was too much trouble, and you felt they genuinely cared about you, unlike so many large hotel chains. It definitely felt like home from home. Our Junior Suite was great! Lots of space and very comfy. The dual aspect was a nice thing for extra light.

OK, but not startling.
    • Queen Room

There were limited facilities at the hotel - would have been good to have a breakfast room and a bar that stayed open later. The air conditioning was also noisy.

The room was good and comfortable. We appreciated the free granola and yoghurt which compensated in some way for the lack of breakfast facilities.

I would definitely stay again
    • Queen Room

I can't complain about anything

The granola, yoghurt and nespresso coffee, the wifi was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful; the location was also perfect. It was clean and quiet. The toiletries were more than other hotels.

Nice stay but high $$$$.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No microwave in the room. Can hear noises from other rooms and corridor.

Good location access.Rooms are clean and nice toiletries. Free granola & good Yogurt beside reception. Sunday market on Lexington Ave , right in front of hotel. Near to Grand central station.

Great stay!
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Staff very friendly, helpful and efficient, probably the biggest advantage for this hotel. Liked the rooms and the whole style of this hotel. Location is unbeatable. Liked it a lot there!

Easy and nice to stay at the heart of NYC!
    • Queen Room

Courtains at the room were not blackout and there were few electric connectors.

Room was very clean and nice. Location is perfect the área is not crazy or noisy and close to main attractions. I liked that the elevator was always available, fast and in good mantainance. Personal always asked our questions and checking in was really fast so as check out. I felt Roger Smith hotel made great part of our trip easy to go!

Good value in the heart of Midtown
    • Premium Suite

The hotel has not been renovated in decades. Aside from dated furniture, simply replacing the carpet would go a long way.

Very good central location, and the beds were quite comfortable.

I will come back and recommend to my friends.”

The bathroom was huge.

The location is excellent, Staff was very friendly and helpful, The bed was comfortable and the area was quiet and at the reception apples as well as yogurt is being offered, I like hotel styles especially I do love reception staff they're so nice and kindly. We asked them to drop our big luggage at the hotel while we're travelling at Niagara falls for 2 days 1 night and we came back to check-in again after trip. :)

High recommend!

The bathroom was huge.

The location is very good, I and my friend we loved the room we’re so lucky the first night we got an upgraded from a 2 bedroom suite to sweet room, complimentary green apples, cereal and Greek yogurt for welcome, Staff are very pleasant and friendly and accommodating.

Quirky stylish with very friendly staff.
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Quirky stylish with very friendly staff. Very good location - grand central 5 minute walk - other subway similar. Penn station less than $20 in a taxi. Yogurt and granala on tap - don't miss the roof top bar!!

A good option when faced with the huge choice of hotels in NYC
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

The subway was a couple of blocks away so a journey to another part of NYC always started with a bit of a walk. The roof terrace bar was a bit pricey but with the weak pound everything was expensive ($7+ for a beer). A negative that shouldn't have been is on check-in my card was charged and I saw it was for about $100 more than advertised with no explanation however it was a standard thing that gets refunded on check-out. To be told this up front would have saved a bit of start of holiday stress.

We had a junior suite which was excellent at a nicely discounted price. A large room with a couch and separate comfy chair. The super king size bed was fantastic and the bathroom had everything we needed. In the lobby you were free to help yourself to apples and yogurts which coupled with the Nespresso machine made for a light meal before heading out for a real breakfast. The roof terrace bar was nice with a great view. Across the road was a 24/7 supermarket/restaurant which had buffet food all day. There was a Starbucks a couple of doors down if you needed it.

Good location, friendly staff and decent sized room
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Slightly strange smell in room

Very good sized room at a reasonable rate in a good location with good access to local subways. Liked the books in the room, free local calls and granola and yoghurt in the foyer was a nice touch.

High recommend! Perfect location!
    • Queen Room

I know RMH is a historied hotel. However, the window glass is not soundproof. If your rooms face the street, it will be very noisy. What's more, the old-fashion AC is also very noisy when it is working.

High recommend! Perfect location! I can easily reach everywhere of NYC by public transportation nearby, no matter subway or train. The Grand Central is only 250m aways. Complimentary wifi is very fast in the room. The staff is hospitable and helpful. Complimentary apple, yogurt and oatmeal located in the reception is convenient for the guest. Room is very clean, spacious as well as the bedding is soft.

Ver great place to spend some days in NYC!!!!
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Truly cant think of anythging negative, we just enjoyed our stay there.

Staff are very pleasant and friendly and accomodating. We loved the room. The furnishings are very traditional which we all liked a lot. We loved our beds, so comfy. Having a coffee machine in the room was great and we used it a lot. At the reception Apples as well as greek yoghurt is being offered, which is a nice treat after a long hot day in NYC;

Beautiful place.
    • Premium Suite

The fridge was really small for such a big suite. Lacked a freezer, couldnt keep frozen microwave stuff and ice cream.

We had a 2 bedroom suite. It was beautifully furnished and very spacious. Even the bathroom was huge. Location was perfect.

The older gentlemen at check in was very professional and...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

the room was not clean and the towels did not smell so well. The bed very super uncomfortable and i wanted to work out in t he am but found out there was no gym nor pool. Also for a suite it was very small. Not so happy with my stay and it was for my birthday very upsetting.

The older gentlemen at check in was very professional and helpful. Offer us some fruit and yogurt and advise us that the roof top was open.

• Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Bathroom was shabby , cracked sink and enamel wearing off.corridors a bit scruffy . Hotel could do with updating .

Location , granola & yoghurt, large room

LOVED IT
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I LOVED this hotel. It is personal, friendly and very retro ( I love retro).....The service at the hotel was amazing. Front desk people super helpful and kind, great location, nice and clean rooms and the free apples yogurt and Granola are such a nice touch--- CLEVER!!!! roof top bar is also very nice. I will come back and recommend to my friends.

In general it is a great choice
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

- there is a nestle capsule Coffee machine in the room, but there is no tea making facility, not kettle to boil some hot water, this can be a deal-breaker for asians. I had to use the coffee machine for tea and the hot water has strong coffee taste. I strongly recommend hotel to add an electronic kettle to each room. - Alarm clock rang in mid night (maybe due to the setting from previous customer or whatever) - Tap water drainage system in my room was broken (u can not pull up the stick to stop water from draining), it looked super obvious but the housekeeping never dealt with it. - There is no water stopper in the bath tube, so you can not use bath tube (but only taking shower)

location is good, hotel room is super large (we booked double bed room, each bed is about 1.3-1.4m wide, and another sofa). There is no restaurant in hotel therefore they don't serve breakfast but there is many many choices just outside. There is free green apple, cereal, greek yogurt in lobby for you to enjoy 24 hours a day.

Great location and good value.
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

A little old and worn, but charming.

Nice size room with lovely linens and toiletries. Quiet area at night and staff helpful and friendly. Nice rooftop bar as well.

Nice location, clean, not the most comfortable
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The beds were EXTREMELY uncomfortable. You could actually feel all of the springs through the mattress on the sofa bed.

Staff was friendly and the room was spacious.

Spacious room and spacious bathroom, exceptional front desk...
    • Queen Room

Very dated furniture and room interior, rather uncomfy bed

Spacious room and spacious bathroom, exceptional front desk service with customer first attitude, nice coffee in the room (nespresso), few quick bites in the lobby at no cost

The free yogurt and apples were very unique.

The room was by Lexington Avenue and you can hear the traffic with the window closed.

The free yogurt and apples were very unique. The hotel is old but very clean and well maintained.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Expensive, but comfortable
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Plug on the bedside lamp was faulty, the light kept flickering in and off.

Bed was excellent, very comfortable. Appreciated that I was able to check in early.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

A home from home in the heart of Manhattan
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Some of the facilities are a little dated, lights switches a bit wobbly, shower not so great, coffee maker didnt work ( though this was replaced as soon as I told them) but these are really minor quibbles in my view compared to the ovetrall experience of a spacious, comfortable hotel with great and attentive staff.

Really friendly and helpful staff make you feel at home, rooms are big for a central manhattan hotel and nicely decorated - in a homely old fashioned way. I've stayed here three or four times now and never look anywwhere else when I am travelleing to New York

Great location, good value for money.
    • Queen Room

Everything felt a bit old, stained carpet, strange smell. But the room was cleaned every day and generally it was ok, just the feeling that the hotel and rooms would need some re-do.

Great location, nice staff, free apples and granola yogurt. Across the hotel there was 24h fresh food market that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, all kinds of food (chinese, japanese, Italian, american etc), tasty and not expensive, very comfortable to have that especially after a long trip.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Great location - comfortable hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No kettle to make cup of tea

Cereal and yogurt in reception was a nice idea. Location was great and easy walk to many of the sights. Good sized room and comfortable beds.

Would stay here again!
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Loved the rooftop bar but not impressed with the drinks. Mixed drinks especially!

The junior suites were wonderful....roomy, beautifully decorated, comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

The room was very spacious, comfortable bed, very good wifi...
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

The traffic noise was coming through the windows/walls as if the window was open.

The room was very spacious, comfortable bed, very good wifi connection, and fridge in lobby always well stocked.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Uncomfortable stay, Wouldn't stay there again
    • Queen Room

3 big problems: 1. Room smelled terrible...like fried food...was very stuffy and when I opened the window the smell was overwhelming...had to close the window... 2. Bed was uncomfortable and bedframe wasn't entirely stable...between the bad smell in the room and the lousy mattress, i had a terrible night's sleep 3. Aside from the physical discomfort, there were no outlets to plug in my electronics...I had to move furniture and unplug lamp and clock to plug in my devices Upon checking out, the front desk person didn't ask me how my stay was or whether there were any issues with the room.

location was good for my business needs

Great hotel with character!
    • Queen Room

I really liked this hotel. Great location close to Grand Central, UN and other midtown attractions. I took a shuttle from JFK to Grand Central and it was a pretty quick walk from the station to the hotel. Very friendly reception staff, and loved the fresh fruit, yogurt and granola in the lobby! Room decor is a bit quirky and non-traditional, but I appreciated the safe, iron and ironing board, in-room coffeemaker and mini-fridge. The room was a good size, with comfortable bed, and clean, good-size bathroom, and good Internet connectivity. I was on the 15th floor, and the hotel itself was pretty quiet. A great place and location at a good price; I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Good size room in good location with friendly helpful staff
    • Queen Room

The carpet was stained and should be replaced. There was no way to use the hand held shower the first night as the piece to switch from the faucet in the tub to the hand held shower was missing. It was replaced the next day.

The staff were lovely -- friendly and helpful!

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Very good hotel.
    • Queen Room

Coffee in rooms-but there is excellent yogurt in the lobby

Very good hotel. Large and good rooms. A professional team that is happy to help Excellent location Good value for money in New York

Great hotel and value.
    • Queen Room

Air conditioner was noisy and difficult to turn off.

Great location, large room, clean. Very nicely renovated. Large bathroom. Staff very friendly and helpful. Had apples and yogurt and granola 24 hours.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

The man at the front desk booked us into a room already...
    • Queen Room

The man at the front desk booked us into a room already occupied by another guest! When we went back down to tell him he didn't even apologize. I would have expected an apology and perhaps an upgrade for that embaressment but instead I got nothing. The hotel also smelled like my grandmas house.

Roger That!
    • Queen Room

The bed needed a new mattress. We had a divot in the center we kept rolling to.

Beekman Boys amenities! Nice room. Too bad we're too early for the rooftop bar.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Good to stay if target location is good
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Old building, poor maintenance, few electric plugs and stains all over the place. "Stayable" for the price they charged in NYC during the weekshow.

Was close to my meetings. Good value for the money

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Needs improvement
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The room was too small and we got the junior suite. The ac blew hot air and the windows were off the tracks so we had to wear earplugs to sleep because of all the street noise. The safe never worked.

The staff was nice and they provided free yogurt in the lobby. I liked the proximity to Grand Central.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Totally worth the money
    • Queen Room

Can't think of anything. For that price and location it's totally worth it.

As people say in some of the comments, it feels like your aunts home. The place is old, but it's got everything you need. Compared to Bernic hotel (50 meters away) that my friends stayed in and paid double of the price I did, my room was much bigger and had a desk. Very useful if you need to work with your laptop. There's also a bathtub. I never use it at the hotels, but still. There's a minibar at the lobby, where you can get unlimited greek yogurts in multiple flavors and variety of granola for free, any time day and night. Staff was very friendly and helpful. They also have free passes for New York sports club gym which is about 200 meters away.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Creative space in heart of Manhatten.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Extremely hot room the first evening.

granola and yoghurt available for breakfast. Simple but effective. Slightly down at heel but original appearance. Lovely sculpture round the place.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Homely family run hotel in great location
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

Furnishings and decor quite shabby - really needs an update

Staff were excellent. Idiosyncratic hotel with interesting events programming. Free Yoghurt & granola for breakfast was a nice touch and Nespresso coffee in the room, but would have like a kettle to make tea!!

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Amazing

Nada

It is the best hotel In nyc. Big rooms and espectacular service. I recomend it to everybody. The location it s perfect. It is met second time there and i will repeat for sure.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Hidden gem - don't disregard this hotel.
    • Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Instructions on how the combined shower/bath worked woulď have beeñ helpful. Dishwashing liquid provided but no plug for sink or dishcloth.

We were given free upgrade to two bedroom suite which was very spacious. Staff all friendly and helpful. Free granola and yoghurt also made breakfast an easy decision.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

First New York trip
    • Junior Suite with King Bed

There was nothing that I didn't enjoy

Was my first trip to New York absolutely love the hotel love the feeling like I was at home I had no problems whatsoever

Browse Roger Smith Hotel traveller photo gallery