Reviews of The Roger 4 stars

131 Madison Avenue, NoMad, New York, NY 10016, USA

#163 of 415 hotels in New York

Just the small room, but I know that is normal for a NYC room.

The decor was beautiful and so stylish. Even though the room was small, it was perfect for our stay. The mezzanine was also perfect!

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

it's quite on the expensive side, and for that amount of money I would have expected a bit more toiletries, not a toothbrush for 7$...also, the selection for breakfast could be expanded a bit (there are about 3 pans of hot food, how about pancakes? bacon is only offered on alternate days..etc)

Location is really excellent, staff is extremely friendly and welcoming, room was spacious and very quiet despite facing the busy road

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Really small bathroom with a tiny sink. The thin wall between the rooms. You can hear things clearly from the next room and the room above!

The ambience of the lobby and the convenient location in midtown.

• Queen Room

Too small rooms and no space for luggage. Way too expensive breakfast, poor buffet. After a meal, we were charged an extra 20% on our creditcard. Instead of debit us back the money, they told us that we have to take that with our bank.

Good location. Comfortable beds.

• Premium Terrace King Room

The room key wiped almost every day!

Room was clean & well maintained, & the bed was the comfiest we’ve stayed in! The location was superb, staff were excellent. Really very good experience!

• Premium King Room

Shame how one thing can leave a sour note. At check out we were told there were no extra costs (we hadn’t put anything on the room). We were asked if we wanted paper or email invoice. We opted for paper, save the planet etc. 24 hours later we hadn’t received it, so we chased. Eventually it was sent through. Obviously there were extra room charges that we hadn’t had. No problem, this can happen. A week later and after querying it on a couple of occasions no response and no refund. Great hotel, poor customer services

Brilliant room, spacious, comfortable, polite staff, good location for quick access to all major tourist sites

• Premium King Room

Price promoted on the site does not include a lot of taxes, so when you make the booking you need to be aware that the final cost is 40% bigger. No sleepers in the room.

The hotel is in a quiet area and once you are in, you are truely away of the buzz of the city. Very confortable room, wide and spacious.

• Queen Room

I was charged for a toothbrush and toothpaste! I have traveled the world, and never ever had to pay for a toothbrush especially in a hotel that charges you $400 a night! I also found that my room wasn't cleaned thoroughly, and things like shower caps / lotions weren't replenished (I had to ask for them)

The staff was very friendly, especially the doormen.

• Premium Corner King Room

The hotel needs badly to be updated. The carpet in the halls, rooms is not clean. Our son had bugs in his room and a bad smell from sewage.

The staff are very helpful and the bed is comfortable.

The Bathroom has no exhaust Fan.

Comfortable Bed, Nice Pillows, Room was clean, Location Good. Excellent Staff. Only in the City one night to see a show and have Dinner, so it is hard to provide a detailed review.

Controlling your own room temperature....Availability for a light breakfast/

Staff were lovely..Room is a bit small as well as the bathroom.but CLEAN...Thermastat for heat not working...Cannot set individual room heat temperature...My room temperature was at 66 degrees....Staff provided me with a space heater...I understand that breakfast can be served for $29.00...However, coffee or tea is provided in the lobby....Location is fine.

Beds were amazingly comfortable Staff very friendly A hand written welcome note was left for my partners 30th birthday wishing him a great stay which was a lovely touch and made us feel extra special

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

The bathroom in our 2 bed hotel room was about the same size as a restroom on an airplane. It made shaving, toweling off nearly impossible.

The overall vibe is good and better than the chain properties

I felt so at home here it was amazing. The staff were wonderful and the other guests were interesting and friendly. Definitely would stay again on business or as a tourist.

Really, there was nothing to dislike about this hotel.

The Roger is truly an oasis after a long international flight, the staff were just wonderful, all of them.

• Premium King Room

The view from my bedroom window was over a building site. It was a naturally dark room, very little natural light came in. The bathroom was extremely small, no bath, just a shower with a foot bather and the small window was extremely draughty. The lobby reception area was a little impersonal, it could do with being a little more useful, more areas to sit in and more desks for laptops etc.

The location was good. The breakfast was tasty although a little over-priced. The bed was extremely comfortable and the house keeping was very good.

Carpet in the room was a little old and scrungy looking.

Super friendly staff, loved the TEXT Concierge. Great location - close to some awesome restaurants (Umi Sushi, The John Dory Oyster Bar were favorites), and lots of great attractions (ESB, Jazz Gallery). Fun atmosphere.

• Premium Corner King Room

The rooms were very hot at night. The breakfast is way too expensive! As is the bar.

Very comfortable beds. Staff are very kind and helpful. There is a great coffee shop next door called the Blank Slate!

• Deluxe Queen Room

No one on the door to meet on the Saturday night, check-in was quick but concierge lacked a personality. Breakfast was ridiculously over priced, hence we didn't take it - there's an amazing deli a couple of doors down Mad/30th Blank slate - great service and a reasonable cost! no view apart from scaffolding on next building, and so room was very dark even in the middle of the day. curtain had to stay shut due to view from construction.

The bed was very comfy, room was small (?)(NYC) but had most things you needed. nice comp. toiletries in small bathroom. Check out was smooth, but disappointed we didn't meet Philip before and the doorman, who both had great knowledge of where and when to go to places and shopping. didn't have a ride Back to JFK so let them book us a ride - Wow car was amazing and cheaper than booking in UK. good location for Green Subway, and some of the best food I've eaten on 3rd Ave. (Normas, Jackson Hole) also some good locals bars (cherap drinks) easy walk to Time Square, Penn station etc.

• Queen Room

Noise between rooms at times depending on where the room is located. Tiny bathrooms. The FIJI water located on your bedside table is not complimentary so don't open it unless you want to spend $7.

Stayed here several times so it is a go-to hotel for us. Great staff, clean & comfy nicely appointed. Nice to have complimentary wine for Friday happy hour. Good location.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms too warm and impossible to adjust température. In another room the heating système was noisy. One of thé doormen was à little apathic and not helpful

Thé personnel at réception very welcoming helpful and positive. Thé location. Thé bar and the bar lady

The 33dollar a day service charge is a bit of a piss take! I don’t want to use your gym or your computer! I should be able to choose! I enjoyed the hotel and the price was good up until I got ripped off with this joke of a charge

I like bed the location, the rooms, the beds, the staff! All were wonderful

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

The size of the bathroom. Very small.Smaller than that you can not go!!!!!

As our visit in New York was short I chose Rogers for location and size.And it prooved to be an excellent choice.Front desk people so efficient.Check in and check out 2 minutes,very fast.After a 12 hour flight and 1 hour in the taxi a queue or slow check in a big hotel is a nightmare.The room was modern and nice.Breakfast buffet was very good.Small but it had everything.Quality is important.The fruits were fresh,just cut,,wonderful pineapple, a variety of breads,pastries and tasty croissants,omellets and good quality fresh salmon.Very good coffee too.

• Premium Terrace King Room

The king room with terrace was advertised as 350 sq ft - it was nowhere near that size. Complained and we were moved with minimal fuss but it was frustrating as had specifically booked based on room size. No coffee making facility in the room. There was free tea and coffee available in reception but would have preferred in the room.

Great location. Lovely boutique hotel. Staff very helpful.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Staff sometimes rude, 10 USD service charge on already overpriced items when ordering room service, despite the already charged so-called service fee.

Urban design hotel, free coffee in the morning, double rooms available.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Unfortunately the choice on the breakfast buffet got smaller from day to day. Our stay lasted 8 days. The price of the breakfast is far too expensive for 30$.

Very nice hotel, comfortable bed, friendly staff and great location.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Spare toiletries were available in the minibar at jacked up price, rather than free at the desk.

The location of the Roger, in Midtown a few blocks from the Empire State Building, is excellent. Beds are comfortable and the lobby is pleasant. We went on a low-demand weekend and got a great deal for an NYC hotel.

Very unfriendly staff, When we arrived after a long trip they were so unfriendly, Not what you expect from such a hotel, Very dirty room, old carpet with stains, Als a very very small bathroom, You couldn’t stand with 2 persons in it. The bed is the only nice thing, On the picture it looks much better than in real life, Not clean at all, We found hairs everywhere. Also please don’t take any food from the restaurant from the hotel, Never had anything just that bad. They also don’t clean the bed every day, But every third day, You have to ask if you want your bed to be cleaned, Such a crazy thing for this amount you pay per night.

Very comfortable bed.

The size of the room for the money we paid, it’s smaller than my kitchen! There was no hot water at some point or at times no water at all. The heater wasn’t working properly so it was very cold in the room, now I left the hotel with a terrible cold! After complaining about the size of the room, heat and water temperature they offered to move us to a bigger size room which we refused because we were already settled in this room and didn’t wanted to pack up again, move and unpack again. They offered instead a complimentary bottle of wine which is sold for 5$ at any store but they sent it to our room like it was some good expensive one. We didn’t even wanted to open it anymore. We did decided to open next day to check it out and we only took a few sips, it was terrible and only after a few hours we got sick to the stomach. When time to check out, the lady at the front desk have us the bill, what we expected plus some more for what she said it was taxes, I was surprised because I paid already everything, booking.com gave me the grand total already and she said we will get charged all that plus some more! She didn’t knew what she was talking, I just gave her my confirmation where all was written with my total and that I don’t owe anything else but parking fee and then she realized she was wrong. Just crazy! Very poor service for the money I paid, also heard complaints from other 3 different people staying there and were very dissatisfied with the service and what the hotel has to offer. Not going there anymore!

The tall doorman was very polite and gave us directions, he took care of the car, our luggage, overall was very nice

Sanitation wasn’t great some days and only 2 lifts to service 200 rooms

Staff very friendly and helpful. Great location, small hotel feel but rooms large for NYC and no noise!!

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Stayed at other NY hotels where they provide pastries to grab on the go, there are beverages but there was no tea half the morning last we were there

The wine hour was an excellent idea - really nice to get back after a full day of walking to a free glass of wine & a sit down for n the lovely lobby. We had a double double room which was spacious & comfortable

The staff were fanstastic especially TT? The night porter who went and made coffe for us at 04.30 And also Dana? Who looked after all of us with drinks & food in the bar area! Nothing was to much trouble

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

The hotel is looking a bit old now and room did not smell fresh. It felt dusty and a bit dingy. Windows were quite dirty.

Hotel is small and cozy and check in was quick and easy.

• Premium Terrace King Room

Did not like being charged a FACILITY fee for services that we did not use. Breakfast too expensive,less than half the cost at nearby deli.

Great location Competent and helpful staff.

• Premium Corner King Room

One very small wardrobe - we had to ask for extra coat hangers and no coat hooks at all in the room! The air conditioning unit was very noisey - luckily we didn't need it.

The bed was very comfy and the bathroom clean and good shower. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Great location if you want to be near the Empire State building.

• Premium King Room

The pillows were a bit flat, but plentiful for stacking.

Sleek and chic lobby decor, excellent staff and comfortable beds! Fabulous location to explore the city.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I could not control the temperature in my room. In the first room to which I was assigned, the air was very hot and I could not get the thermostat to even turn on the fan. The employee I spoke to at reception had little advice to offer me. He suggested I open a window, which struck me as wasteful and ultimately gave me a new room. In my second room, the fan worked, but the temperature stayed at 80 degrees the whole time I was in it. This led to a rather restless night of sleep. I tried to open the window in my new room and that was unsurprisingly not possible.

The decor was attractive.

• Premium Corner King Room

The air con/ heating system in the room was too loud to sleep with it on, therefore I wouldn't return to the hotel in summer.

Really excellent staff.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Bad manner staff during check out. The description on breakfast option is totally misleading. A room of 4 people got only 2 breakfasts which the app didnt tell us anything about it during booking.

Good staffs. Great help on many things. Good location.

• Premium King Room

Can’t get close to the mirror as the sink was in the way. No dressing gown and no way to bring fresh air into the room. Breakfast was not worth $30. No consistency with when coffee is available - much needed after a long haul flight. No information in room about when breakfast is available, facilities, wine reception.

Room was a nice size. Bed was very comfortable. Incredibly friendly staff.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

The bedroom walls are paper thin! Every evening on returning we could hear exactly what the other guests in the rooms on each side were saying. If you were unlucky enough to have loud neighbors this would be a problem!

Free tea / coffee in the morning. Hot apple cider all day - fantastic! Free wine for 1 hr, week day evenings. Huge room. Friendly staff. Will definitely be back.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Bit expensive, was a little annoyed that the room service charges were not disclosed to me until I was about the check out. Not enough elevators, we had to wait a long time before they arrived and even then it was full the first couple of times.

Good location, easy to find, not to noisy in the local area

Not so much storage in the room.

Super location, homely atmosphere, warm welcome and special threatments like wine tasting, very friendly staff at reception.

The bathroom was quite small and the sink especially so.

My trip was spur of the moment and The Roger was chosen strictly for its location. I was pleased with the lobby set up and the cheerful and helpful staff. The room was small but as I was alone, it was just fine. The price was great especially for NYC and last minute booking. The location was fantastic.

There are only two lifts for the whole Hotel including staff. Having to strategically plan your exit to include waiting time for the lift isnt really the best. The AC was incredibly noisy and didnt go below 68 - which I dont think was a true reading anyway. Breakfast was very expensive - I ate around the corner, much better, fresher and half the price.

the bed was very comfortable

• Premium Corner King Room

The WiFi in our room was not good, and when you're on holiday from another country and want to book local activities via the internet, it's frustrating when your connection keeps being interrupted or dropping off altogether.

The hotel is perfectly situated for exploring Manhattan, was clean, comfortable, and considering we were in a corner room, you couldn't hear any noise from the street during the night.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

The service was fantastic, check in-out fast and efficient, they hold our luggage for the day, found us taxis, they have a nuce little bar st the hotel, room was big, beds were GREAT, it was quiet, and a great luttle breakfast cafe st the corner, with the yummiest avocado toast i’ve ever had, thank yoy Roger!

• Premium Corner King Room

There is a very bad smell in the hotel (lobby and the rooms). The rooms are old, and the toilet is very small ! I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

The hotel is in a nice location. Wifi is free.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Was not made aware of the extra taxes of $60 per day. Came as a shock and Bookings.com did not make me aware that the payment quoted would increase. Would book with caution next time. Not a good start.

Bed was great and the room very clean

Cleanliness?

The hotel is very old & filthy! There was a stain on the comforter, walls & door was visibly dirty & the window shades had a bad odor!

Rooms outdated and old; in desperate need if refurbishment. Carpets old and smelly, furniture fabrik in need for change; bathroom: small, shower need new tiling and grouting. Apliances need change. Difficult to comprehend for the per night price.

Staff friendly and attentve

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Very nice breakfast - and the staff in the breakfast room are the best to meet in the morning. Big smile. The staff at the hotel are vefy nice, smiling and helpfull. Will choose this hotel again.

• Premium King Room

On the first night we weren't given the room that we had booked. We received a room with 2 kingsize beds instead of a single bed. We were told that we would receive a voucher or something to make up for this inconvenience but nothing was provided. We have travelled extensively and to find a hotel which for the rates that they charge per night , offer you no complementary water but rather wish to charge $7 per bottle, is disappointing. Unfortunately construction work was on the go opposite our window which meant that our curtains had to be closed.

Liked location and lobby area.

We were awoken in the morning by house-keeping although we had the hotel's 'do not disturb' sign up on the door. Corridors are a little noisy as the rooms have heavy doors and people just let hem fall closed behind hem, so that makes a lot of noise. There is construction on one side of the building going on (which was next to our room), but as it was Sunday we didn't have any noise. The Hotel should advise on Booking or in some notes that some rooms may b subject to construction noise.

Dear Travelers this is what i call Home away from home, easy to walk everywhere you want, restaurants bars, coffee, attractions, easy to get a taxi or a Uber, fantastic Room Service... Nice Bar in the lobby, you don't really feel is a turist crowd area, next time you visit new york pass by and ask at reception is they can show you one of their beautiful rooms I guarantee that from that moment you will decide to stay at The Roger Next time.... safe travels...

The bathroom is small as the NYC style/ el cuarto de baño pequeño, al estilo NYC.

Excelente ubicación, personal muy atento, cama cómoda/ strategic located, kind personal, comfortable bed.

• Premium Corner King Room

Noisy air condition system in the room. Our first room was located back corner of the building and due construction of the neighbouring building we couldn't sleep during night. After the first night our room has been changed.

Location & friendly staff

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Cost of water in the room was extortionate but we just bought water from a shop close by instead.

We loved the happy hour which was on when we arrived. Lovely wine- and free!

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

I found The Roger overpriced for the service they offered. Plus, there are lots of hidden charges and taxes so check through all of the fine print before booking. I was charged hundreds on top of what I thought was the final amount. The staff were standoffish and not very helpful, in particular the desk staff and the staff in the mezzanine. A cocktail menu was literally pulled out of our hands because it was five minutes past the deadline. Not very welcoming. We didn't return to the mezzanine for drinks at all during our stay.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

I was given a key to the mini bar although they already asked me if I wanted one and I turned it down. It left me feeling on guard during my stay.

My room was posh, elegantly decorated, and very comfortable and clean. There was construction just outside and I could not hear any of it with the window closed. There was plenty of shelf space in the bathroom for functionality. Location was ideal, just a block away from the facility where I was conducting business. It was a very enjoyable stay!

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

breakfast delicious but expensive for four of us. hotel rates I suppose, we used the diner down the street. should have held my nerve and booked refundable as better rates in nearby hotels available closer to the time. not the hotels fault but booking should have included the resort fees in the figure used to compare as that brought the cost up quite a bit.

location was great for us. lots of help and advice from friendly staff. wifi good. beds really comfy. beautiful stylish and very calm place to stay. restaurant food was good on the night we ate in.

breakfast a little pricey. takes a long time to get the car that was valeted.

I liked the breakfast and lunch. I thought the breakfast was a little pricey. I liked the colors and the new remodel. I like I know the area and can walk. also that they have parking.

Building work was undergoing next door so it got pretty noisy very early in the morning.

Amazing location, close to everything. Great lobby, very cosy.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

There are no "arms" to assist in quiet closing of the doors. Anytime a door on the floor above, below or on your floor closes, you hear it, clearly.

Location, doormen were friendly.

• Premium Corner King Room

Only complaint was how expensive mini bar items were - if they were more reasonable you would use them.

Very central beautifully decorated & lovely staff. Toiletries in the room were beautiful & no street noise.

room service was sub par. the room key stopped working 3X during stay

room was very clean, lobby was pretty, staff was friendly, and location was great.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

Breakfast is just ok and pricey. Better to head down the block to Blank Slate for a wonderful breakfast with the best ever coffee.

Rooms are small but very comfortable, great pillows and beds. Friendly staff. Nice lounge and bar area to meet in the morning or have a drink before dinner in the evening.

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

The extras on the bill! For instance, the $31 per night "facility fee" which the receptionist struggled to explain was an unpleasant surprise (adding $217 to the total bill). Also the myriad city and state taxes added a further $36 per night, meaning that a $201 per night room actually cost $268 per night which is quite a difference! A 33% difference to be precise! I appreciate that this was all probably hidden in the small print at the time of booking, but I really think that Booking.com should take it upon themselves to clearly show the total cost per night, not just a "headline" figure.

Excellent staff Very comfortable beds Good location

Some of the furniture was beat up and there was no gasket on the doors, so I could heard all the noise from the hallway

It was a very stay and the breakfast is very good

• Premium King Room

1. Possibly not used to international guests - the didn't accept our travel card because there was no name on it - it was an absolute disaster checking in - the asst manager was particularily deplorable and absolutely non apologetic about any of her mistakes due to which we were further inconvenienced. The staff on the weekend is particularly bad - there was a far senior gentleman and lady rest of the days - they were wonderful as was the cleaning staff. But the 1st day check in has crossed this off my list for future stays. Doormen do not smile (save one!). It feels most odd in NY. I cannot emphasis how rude and unpleasant the check in was - I figured everyone was also very perturbed about a "patrick" who was coming and I guess they were gonna have to step up their game. 2. Ridiculous resort fee which covers wine in the evenings, wi-fi and tea in the mornings - it is a mandatory payment and completely ridiculous - mind you this doesn't show up in the cost on this site, you will be charged extra. If you are going to charge such a mindless fee, how about also offering water when its 90 degrees in the shade ??? 3. Tiniest basin ever - I kid you not, check out the pictures.

Comfy Bed (I think down pillows that I don't prefer) Good food and buffet from the looks of it Nice reception area Super chilled AC

• Premium Corner King Room

All the staff was great, we especially liked Ian, he made everywhere we went easy, would recommend the Roger to anyone. We will definitely be going back.

• Deluxe Queen Room

A couple of areas for improvement: - The price of breakfast felt pretty extortionate: $37 per person once taxes are included. - I would have appreciated a complimentary bottle of water in the hotel room and I see this as pretty standard for hotels with a 4+ star rating (you could only purchase one for $15!). - The gym was ok but small and played really weird jazz music which you couldn't change. - The pricing is odd as the room rates change daily, which I've never experienced.

We stayed at the Roger for six nights in total and would recommend staying here. The location is great, within walking distance to some great areas, restaurants and bars. The style of the hotel was lovely and the staff were all very helpful. The doormen (particularly Blake and a Jamaican guy whose name we didn't get) were really friendly and helpful. Our room was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely with a great shower (yes it was quite small but fine for two people sharing a room). Overall I would highly recommend staying here.

• Premium King Room

room was pretty small, but asked to be moved and received a much more roomy room

Free wine in the lobby on weekdays between 5 & 6pm was a nice touch

• Premium Double Room with 2 Double Beds

For 3 days in a row we did not get new facewashers/washcloths when the room was cleaned.

Enjoyed happy hour. The front staff were extremely helpful and accommodating.

• Premium King Room

There was a bit of sewage stink coming from the pipes or air cond in the room which was repulsive.

The location was excellent and nicely decorated in the lobby. We came for the Broadway show and good restaurants to eat. Cosme where we dined was within walking distance from the hotel.

Browse The Roger traveller photo gallery