2. USA hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Royal Holiday Motel

Reviews of Royal Holiday Motel 2 stars

1903 West Highway 66, Gallup, NM 87301, USA

#12 of 27 hotels in Gallup

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 14 February 2019

Very good value.

Very good value. Clean. Owners are very nice and helpful. Room furniture is old but bed is comfortable and room is clean. Good place for road travel.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2019

Nice hosts but two stars at best.

We rented two rooms. One of them smelled really bad. The train ran right across the street and the train whistle was disruptive to sleep. Although the lady was very kind and made waffles if we asked, the breakfast was very skimpy. The rooms were dated with patched walls and dingy furnishings. Ice machine was broken but the hosts offered us ice from their freezer.

The family that runs it was wonderful and friendly. She met us with bottles of cold water. Beds were comfy and they had large fluffy bath towels. Also had some tourist supples in the rooms. It was on historic Route 66 so we could see some old motels and diners close by. We chose this place because it was a typical motel.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2019

Cheap

Our room was freezing and we arrived at night so it took most of night to heat up. Breakfast was artificial foods, not good.

Cheap Big room Satellite tv

• Reviewed: 1 February 2019

Not a lot, staff very pleasant but not a lot of conversation...

The location is in a very run down part of town, grounds very poorly maintained, walked into room and there was an extremely strong deodorizer smell, made us feel ill. Room was very cold initially, there is a space heater in the back by the bathroom and it eventually warmed up. Card key only worked once in a while, TV wasn’t hooked up by my husband able to connect that, sheets clean but dingy, door to outside very dirty. Wallpaper looks like it has been patched on-in places This hotel has possibilities, very cool mid central design but as is should probably be demolished

Not a lot, staff very pleasant but not a lot of conversation , bathroom seemed clean but we didn’t shower in the morning, just wanted to get out.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2019

Good value, friendly staff, pet friendly.

Parking lot was not plowed properly and quite icy in places. To avoid the icy area, we parked quite a distance from our room.

Room was clean and quiet, bed was comfortable, great price. Attempts were made by owners to make room meet ADA standards. VERY friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2019

Good value for the money.

The sink was slow to drain, the clock didn't work, and two light bulbs were burned out.

The room was big w/comfortable seating , a comfy bed, and a nice TV. I liked the heat lamp in the bathroom. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. I didn't eat breakfast there; don't even know what was offered.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2019

We stayed there in xmas day so everything in town was closed. Would stay there again if tracking thr

Water in bathrooms was warm not hot. Needs repair in bathroom. Ice box didn't work nor did the ice machine . But was given some ice thru front office.

The room was clean and no over powering cleaning smells or air deodorizer. Can't say anything for breakfast didn't stay left because of snow storm.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2018

Hidden gem!
    • Family Room

Not much heat. Was very cold. Eventually warmed up in the main room but the bedroom had a space heater. Wasn't awful but not perfect!

Staff was friendly and amazing!! Very affordable. Loved having a suite where everyone got a bed. Very clean and well taken care of.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2018

It's our go to place to stay everytime we travel to...

It's our go to place to stay everytime we travel to Texas from Nevada. Its always clean and the staff are always so friendly! :) We love this place!

• Reviewed: 4 December 2018

I like signal was good with wifi.

I did not like their was extra toilet paper in the room. Also sink faucet did not have a cold water. Both knobs were hot water. Also the rags were not in bathroom.

I like signal was good with wifi. Location was not hard to find and close to fast food restaurants.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2018

Clean bed and clean bathroom!
    • Family Room

The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming. There was a gentleman that went to our room to turn on lights and heater. I was not happy seeing a table stand heater next to the bed. The room heater was not working very well. We had a chilli in the room all night. The out door temp was 43°. The motel is rundown. Needs much repair and paint. The room was all so rundown, the smoke alarm was beeping cause the battery was dead. Maid was sent to replace it. The door chain lock was loose so no protection with that however the door lock worked. The beds were clean, no bed bugs. The bath room was clean as well. The carpet needs to be replaced as well the the chipped old furniture. The room had a musty smell but not to bad. Breakfest was water down coffee, sliced bread, and cold cereal however the way it was set up to be used was not health nor sanitary. The bread was left in its original bag on the counter with everyone having to stick there hands in the bag for bread, yuck yuck. The fruit was also left in a bag so think of everyone sticking their hands in that bag made me think, yuck yuck yuck. The one gallon milk jug was left on the counter so i am thinking E Coli, food poisoning, getting sick on vacation no thanks. We skipped that breakfest! We will not stay here again.

Clean bed and clean bathroom!

• Reviewed: 10 November 2018

Run, don't walk, to somewhere else

Where to begin... The hotel is located next to busy railroad tracks in a poorer area of town amid abandoned motels. It was not easy to access the main part of town. I had to take a light bulb from the bathroom for the desk/table lamp and then plug it in before it worked. The bedside lamps were loosely mounted on the wall and one was controlled by the switch next to the front door. The bulb and fixture were hanging loose but fixed by my husband. But, when I turned out the light by the door there was still some power leaking and sparks were coming from the fixture so I had to turn it off too. Everything was loose and neglected. We stayed because it was so funky bad and we saw no signs of bugs.

The heater worked and was quiet. The bed was okay. I was given a cold bottle of water at check-in.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2018

Clean comfortable rooms with great showers.

Only wish is they provide more than one package for coffee with the in-room coffee maker, lol.

Clean comfortable rooms with great showers. Very accommodating owners. I have stayed here many times and it’s always top rate!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Old Route 66, a clean cool vintage motel with family owners, and beautiful New Mexico skies. Love it

It would e been better if we could've stayed longer and spent some time exploring Gallup. But the motel is fine.

The staff were wonderful. Very accommodating and family oriented, they work hard to keep in going. Right on the old Route 66, which I love. We will return.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Exactly what I was looking for, at just the right price.

Hard to find a plug for my USB charger, but I eventually did, it was behind the front curtain.

The staff was almost the best part of the whole visit. The owner was very friendly and accommodating...because of her alone, I will make this hotel one of my first picks when I’m in the area.

This was a great place at a great value.

This is a family run hotel. I was on a long road trip and I just stayed the night. When i came in I was greeted with a big welcome and how are you. The customer service was a 10 out of 10. I asked for a local place to eat and was given a great recommendations. I would go stay at this place again if I ever make my way back to that neck of the woods.

id stay again

Another person staying there had a dog they kept in their suv in a kennel with the windows all the way up. Everytime i took my dog out, my dog would freak out on the dog in the car because of that dog barking. And the bathroom area for the dog park had a bunch of landmines in it.

The place was dated and needs some tlc the parking lot has some potholes. But upon entering the room my husband,dog and i found that it was seriously clean. Well kept and was very comfortable with the beds. The breakfast was great. They had a waffle maker in the back and offered to make my husband and i waffles. Overrall would stay again.

Good value.

Noisy train nearby Lack of outlets to charge my phone and computer.

Pleasant staff. Very thoughtful. Good sized room. Interesting passage way to enter the rooms. Good value. Will probably stay again.

very comfortable beds.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Didn't like to have to go to Desk for ice. Breakfast was the worst for continental. Ice bucket lid was filthy

very comfortable beds. Nice and quite Value was excellent.

One and done

Grounds were terrible. Parking lot filled with pot holes. Hotel lobby smelled like curry being cooked. Felt like your we’re infringing upon someone’s home.

Room size

As mentioned in other reviews the rooms are dated but they...

The breakfast was a little sparse.

As mentioned in other reviews the rooms are dated but they are exceptionally clean. There are trains but we didn't hear them unless we were already awake and we didn't find them loud. Good value.

A good price, but bring your ear plugs.

There was railroad noise for a long time. Get a second-floor room, we had a first floor room and we could hear footsteps, running all night long. I don't know what that family was doing above us but it involved a lot of noisy steps.

The location was good. The houseplant in the lobby was awesome and amazing. You'll know which one when you see it. The people were nice and kind.

had a good night felt relaxed in the morning

the fact that we were told to go to the wrong address had a time getting it right with our directions the address was at the other end of the town. Please get it straight the place was comfortable and if your tired trying to find the place was not good for the owners

the bed and bathrooms were very clean, tv and channels were fine, quiet

Functional but run down

This hotel is old and run down and needs to be remodeled, although much of Gallup appears run down.

I was checked in quickly and was given free bottled water and breakfast.

We would stay here again if in Gallup

We travel a lot for work but we rest for the Sabbath, it was peaceful and quite. There is a train but the train goes through I could imagine the entire town which did not bother us. They were very generous with the pet deposit as well. It can get a bit pricey traveling with two dogs.

Very friendly staff, happy to help when we had a problem...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Across the road from a train cross (loud horns in the morning).

Very friendly staff, happy to help when we had a problem with our TV. Also offered to do our laundry for $5 each.

TV did not work right.

TV did not work right. It turned off 12 times during the evening and 3 in the morning. Laundry was listed, but it turned out to be a laundry service, not a self-serve machine. Ice machine didn't work.

Room was clean, no odors.

Outside appearance of property needed attention-wash windows of entrance door, mostly outside cleanliness & maintenence. Mini fridge in room not working.

Room was clean, no odors. Room in ess was nice. Furniture was good condition, liked recliner.

A very great place to stay at a very reasonable price.

Huge room with every comfort of home. Very comfortable bed, recliner chair with reading lamp, 2 wingback chairs, table and desk and dresser. Big, clean stocked bathroom. Great water pressure in shower. Also had 3/4 size fridge and microwave. Coffee, tea and creamers with cups, as well. A very welcoming and comfortable stay for a great price. Building is older but kept up and maintained. Extremely clean inside and out. I would definitely stay here again. Mr. Patel was most welcoming.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Blowdryer didn't work. Asked the manager for a replacement and was told flatly "no". When I responded "seriously?", he responded "there are no other dryers." In the whole hotel? No others? There were only 3 other cars in the parking lot. Compketely rude and couldn't leave fast enough.

we will stay here any time we visit the area

Can't think of anything we didn't like

Room was large, and had all the amenities you expect from higher priced properties. Front desk people are Friendly take care of guests

Great! I would stay there again.

The locations exterior and location worried me at first but the interior was super safe and cozy.

The staff was great! I felt safe and comfortable which is important for a female traveling alone.

Saturday night stay on Route 66

I cant say I didn’t like anything in particular because my expectations for what I paid weren’t high. Not to sound high-brow and rude, pardon my frankness...it was a nice, pleasant stay, but we’re not talking the Hilton hotel here. Anything that looked antiquated outside only added to the appeal of staying on Historic Route 66! Even the trains passing in the night with their horns, didn’t take away from the appeal, but actually added some authenticity to the stay!

Upon arrival, I noticed a line of nice, newer model vehicles, all well taken care of, parked in front of the motel. This was important to me, as a woman traveling alone, to gauge the clientele. It was quiet outside, no blaring music or loud laughter coming from the rooms. Very peaceful. When I initially came into the front office, I wasn’t greeted right away, there was no one at the front desk. This concerned me a little, but any hesitancy I felt fell away when the proprietor came in and through his politeness and at-ease personality got me settled into my room quickly and with a smile. I came into a good-sized room. Ambient and comfortable. The door was solid with two different locks on it for security, phone was in working order. King-sized bed was clean, several fluffy pillows! I did bring my own comforter and pillow from home though and I felt like a snug, bug in a rug! Bad pun, sorry! Forgive me, Mr and Mrs proprietor, but I did do a thorough check for bed bugs and I was relieved to find the room free of any unwanted critters. Thank you for keeping clean, safe rooms! For guest enjoyment, a large flat-screened TV was provided, coffee maker with coffee/condiments were available, and a refrigerator and microwave were also convenient. To my surprise there were additional items—-more than the usual, even in higher cost hotels—-like a make-up remover cloth, toothbrush and toothpaste, shoe shine cloth, razor, and sanitary napkin bags provided for guest convenience! The complimentary breakfast provided was adequate. Nothing cooked, but hot, fresh coffee was always available and the proprietors were so very accommodating even to ask if you would like additional foods not out on the food counter. They were very pleasant and laughing with their costumers! If you’re not looking for a resort-like atmosphere and appreciate an affordable stay that provides everything necessary for a comfortable night’s sleep, I recommend Royal Holiday Motel.

Comfortable room at a good price.

Outside looked a little rundown however inside was fine.

Large room, fridge,microwave worked ok. Friendly owners, allowed me to use their phone to call international at no charge.

Nice hotel, good value

Clean and comfy room. On old Route 66. My husband loves trains so he enjoyed hearing them. An enclosed outer hallway keeps the noise level down and they didn't bother me.

Quick stop, good off and on our planned route.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I did not like the room it seemed dark and dated and not as clean as I like. Very spartan accomodations. It was however the right location for our stop over.

I did not but my husband said it was fine! He said the room was clean and the bed comfortable and the price was right!!

Price was stellar for a motel with a friendly owner and a...

The area felt quite sketchy; however, the motel itself was pretty secure and gated.

Price was stellar for a motel with a friendly owner and a decent nights sleep.

I love the trains!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only one criticism, reduce the amount aroma from the incense & curry in the lobby. I don't mind it because I'm a 7 Seas Sailor, but some travelers might not be as tolerant.

The extra toiletry amenities were a surprise, & a very good idea for the traveler who forgot to pack even a razor. Wow! The staff were friendly & courteous to a fault, & though the exterior of the hotel looked a little rough, the rooms & the hallways & lobby were clean & fresh.

Nice room and good value.

The office/breakfast area has a strong odor of incense and/or curry. Should be toned down.

Room was spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable.

Great place for mid road trip stop

Sort of hard to describe, but the hallway to the rooms' doors has an external wall (that really helps blocks noise and keep the rooms more quiet). Although the windowed wall has doors every 6 rooms or so, they don't properly shut/lock, so there's no security at that level. However the property is fenced off, so there's a bit more limited access to the parking area / rooms.

Very comfortable bedding and cleanliness. No frills place with food close by. We just needed a place to stop, eat, sleep, wake, shower and continue our trip. Great price, great shower and awesome staff. We arrived and I had to use the restroom rather badly. The person at the front desk accommodated quickly (no public restrooms). Nice and secure area for parking.

Exceeded all expectations

When I saw the railway tracks on one side of the road, and the many motels on the other, my heart sank. The noise from those huge trains was going to be horrific. We had already pre-booked this motel, so we had no choice. All I can say is thank god it was Royal Holiday Motel. The under cover walk way outside the motel rooms had been glassed in, therefore it was like having double glazing, I can truthfully say, I did not hear one train during the night, and I'm a light sleeper. Thank you Royal Holiday Motel, for having the initiative to cover the walkway in for your customers comfort.

The room and bath were clean.

The room had an odd smell (it is a pet friendly hotel). They were very eager to put us in another room.

The room and bath were clean. The facility is older but the price was right.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2019

Nice place was a great value

Train whistle could be a problem for some

• Reviewed: 12 February 2019

Comfortable and cozy.

Tv kept going off. The room was kind of cold but the bathroom was nice and warm.

Comfortable and cozy. Big room. Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2019

The manager was lovely and we checked in super late and when...

The manager was lovely and we checked in super late and when we got in the room the heater was already on and the room was so cozy and cute.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2019

Nice people with excellent price

Air/ heater noisy

• Reviewed: 4 January 2019

• Reviewed: 11 December 2018

Clean

Kind of seedy

Clean

• Reviewed: 3 December 2018

Top value for the price. Room was one of the best we’ve stayed in.

Better coffee

Limited selection

• Reviewed: 8 November 2018

Great for overnight stay.

Three large chairs in the room were very comfortable and so was the bed.Not

• Reviewed: 8 November 2018

Surprisingly nice stay.

Room was clean & comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Good if you just want to sleep

Upgrading is sorely needed.

The rooms, while dated, were very clean.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Room very comfortable, chairs and lamp for reading

Close to train tracks, frequent train horn blowing

Room very comfortable, chairs and lamp for reading

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

One night stay great value and friendly staff

Pillows

Price and breakfast and the owners were nice and friendly

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Very friendly, made sure we were happy with our stay.

Very friendly, made sure we were happy with our stay.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

The staff were very nice!

The staff were very nice! They gave us popcorn and drinks when we arrived!

Great stay

It was comfortable and clean.

It was okay for one night.
    • Family Room

The dirtiness of the room; there were dead bugs and spider webs.

The big room.

Recommended

Great place to stay. Older but very well kept and very clean.

Excellent value.

Difficult to sleep through the sound of the freight trains.

Very friendly owners. Breakfast was good. Room was clean and comfortable.

Cost

Trains across the street

Cost

Old fashioned but still ok for the price

We didn't like the strong curry smell in the reception/breakfast room.

An old fashioned motel ,but still ok for the price Staff very helpful.

Good value ....dishonest staff
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We left my grandsons blanket behind n they said nothing was left behind so they lied

Value

very cheap and near to Navajo Nation, demode' and a bit...

very cheap and near to Navajo Nation, demode' and a bit old style but ok for one night

sheets where clean and the bed comfortable

sheets where clean and the bed comfortable

Easy to find

Breakfast was mediocre

Easy to find

Room was large and clean with all amenities.

Very old building with a lot of patched together repairs.

Room was large and clean with all amenities.

There was plenty of hot water in the shower, the bed was...

There was plenty of hot water in the shower, the bed was comfortable, wifi worked. It was good value for the money.

An absolute recommendation

The very friendly crew. The size of the rooms. Very clean.

Television channel selection was inadequate

Television channel selection was inadequate Breakfast was minimalist Room was like being in a cave

Train ruined stay

Right by train tracks, seemed a train came every hour had to sleep, :-(. Ice machine on last leg.

Hotel was clean

Room was very nice.

Ice machine inoperable. Front Desk kindly provided ice upon request.

Room was very nice. Clean.

Clean spacious rooms, comfortable bed with 4 cushions.

Clean spacious rooms, comfortable bed with 4 cushions. Nice shower. Coffee maker. Excellent place for a 1 night stay if you are on a road trip.

Great throw back place very comfortable old days style.

Great throw back place very comfortable old days style.

Owners are trying hard to please.

Tiny bathroom. Breakfast is adequate. Decor needs updating.

Cozy and quaint. Liked the toothbrush and razor in bathroom basket.

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!