Reviews of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Mesa 3 stars

951 West Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85201, USA

#21 of 42 hotels in Mesa

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

MEH; Some good some not. "High" 7.6 (I think) Booking.com score isn't deserved at this time.

Really bad odor of previous smokers (non-smoking property). Was provided a can of air freshener. Worked after spraying it into the air conditioning unit but.... Construction is going on to update the place which is badly needed but of course there are associated problems. Hopefully repainting the rooms, etc. will be helpful in the future. Breakfast was hard to judge since most everything was gone by arrival at 8:20 (7-9 time) except for bread for toast (no butter or jelly/jam), cereal, a few mini-donuts and oj. Not sure if there was anything else. Nice sized bathtub but no stopper. Coffee maker (2-cup type) had no basket so was useless. TV is weird since input isn't set correctly so must set correct input with a 2nd button on top of the TV. Price was $44 but with current state, it should be at least $5 a night cheaper.

Clean, spacious room with comfortable bed. Staff is young but helpful. Good water pressure in the shower. Good cold air conditioning unit and working mini-refrigerator (didn't try the microwave oven).

In general I am pleased with my stay here.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The establishment is undergoing some remodeling. There seems to be a great need of additional maintenance assistance to help keep the place a bit cleaner.

In general I am pleased with my stay here. The staff was helpful.

The room was big, staff was courteous and price was...

The room had a really weird smell. It kind of smelled like bad body odor.

The room was big, staff was courteous and price was affordable. Also the hot tub and pool were a very nice size!

Overall it was a good comfortable stay!

The neighbors were EXTREMELY obnoxious. They had someone banging on the door at hours...

The size of my room was amazing for the price I paid! 60$ and it was huge plus had a balcony. My check in was super fast thanks to the girl at the front desk!

DONT LEAVE CASH DEPOSIT

That the franchise does not follow proper protocol per thier booking and cancellation policy written on thier website. The communication,service and no resolutions made for errors on Motels part

Cockroaches and rude night staff (lady)

I didn't like the cockroaches in my room crawling on my walls and falling on me in my sleep. I also didn't like going to the office and the lady didn't even do anything for me but tell me to deal with it. Wow. Where is my money back? Or at least a free room since you couldn't switch me rooms.... It was ridiculous. Also room was not completely clean

Friendliness of the staff.

They tried to get me to pay more for staying a couple more days so I went through booking.com and saved $50.

Friendliness of the staff.Plus several premium movie channels and their fitness room.

Bad place. Bad people in it.

Everything. The whole place is going under renovation (which is good) but it makes the whole place dirty. Also, a lot of tweekers and hookers. Bad place.

To be honest, I did not like anything about this place.

The pool is 24/7 and a great size, the area is sort of...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

It was under construction paint and ladders in hallways. Number for rooms were on the floor. The AC unit didn't work right kept getting hot then cold for about 1min. During the night it got so stuffy and humid in our room. When we got into the room one bed looked like there was somebody sleeping in it!!

The pool is 24/7 and a great size, the area is sort of gated for the vehicles and is close by the grocerie stores.

The staff couldn't do enough for me, and it made my trip...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

During my visit, I was given a $5.00 bill that fell out of my pocket, while sitting in the office. On the couch and Charlotte found me at the pool. Thanks Econo Lodge.

The staff couldn't do enough for me, and it made my trip a pleasure.

Overall we had a great day the neighborhood is crap stay off the track

Some days it was great and if you're running a little bit late to pay for the next day everything was fine but then the very next day they would talk down to you if you're running late I would just prefer if they were consistent either yes or no but not back and forth

Overall Staff was great overnight front desk rap was the greatest her name was Katie and she helped us a lot other than that there's definitely a struggle for leadership on the day shift.

Overall it's a pretty decent place for now the right price.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The area! I feel changes show be made about who should come around the property. Its a lot of drug users that they to get you to open the door for them. They need security to come at night to secure the area. They should also provide more things for breakfast besides cereal and toast.

The staff provided excellent customer service. The housekeepers always made sure everything was taken care of. Maintenance stayed on top of things. Even though they're going construction the have a good upkeep with everything.

I hated it
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I didnt like the fact that people roaming the halls knocking on the door staff included. Front desk knocking at my door at 11:30 pm Saturday night I didnt loke the fact that construction going on the hall stink and they knocking on the door to come in and paint we should not have bee n charged full price with all that going on

No hot breakfast stale cereal old juice muffins donuts and bread

Big disappointment
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Whole place a mess! Given key at checkin and when we got to room, filthy with stuff thrown all over. Went back to office, and other couple found same situation. Staff did not know what was going on and said it had been nothing but problems all day. Found other room but not ready for another 1/2 hour. This now made our plans for resting before evening out a non possibility. We did get in the room eventually, 2 hours plus after we were told we could check in😝 Last time Hereford sure!!

Comfortable bed

Not happy
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I would never recommend this place to anyone. The good price they have and the awful Donuts they have and no breakfast whatsoever as advertised place is just horrible nothing but drug addicts hanging around all night long

The beds were okay they were not cleaned very well the carpeting was not vacuumed didn't like too much about any of it. Definitely no communication between the customer and the front desk

Horrible place for kids!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Torn up and dirty! Horrible location for kids! Drugs and prostitution goes around there!

The gals that checked us in and out was nice, but that was the only thing good there!

Won't ever go there again
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The place was in the middle of renovations. None of the walls were painted the carpets were a disaster. Breakfast was toast and cheerios everyday if you were lucky.

Customer service was fantastic won't lie. The people who worked there tried to help as much as they could.

It was the most uneasy stay at a hotel i have ever had.

I felt like someone would break in at some time. Some of the furniture looked old and worn out. Some random guy just staring at people cheking in. Some other random guy standing at the entrance of the parking lot. Felt like my car would get stolen or vandalised, kept cheking on it at night. Restroom has no loght abd very poor lighting. TV didnt work at all.

The room looked like it had new paint

breakfast room was an absolute discrase.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

breakfast room was an absolute discrase. Never been in a dirtier facility. Floor and tables never cleaned, trash cans overflowing. Two minutes after a few donuts and Danish were put out,they were gone. Cold cereal and orange juice area overflowing. It was bad! Very soiled carpet in bedroom.

Was under construction was sent to a room.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Was under construction was sent to a room. The door was open and no electricity. Went down to get another room they se t us to a room and there was a guy working on the doorway. Went out for a few hours and got back to our door handle still taped had to pull it off to get into the room.

The bed was super. Nice location. Very personable staff. Great room rate.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Could not get the TV to work. Too tired to check with the front desk person due to late arrival. Wished the TV in the break room had been on. Also, wished the printer that was available to travelers was working.

Bed was very comfortable. Staff was very nice and helpful.

The rooms were nice

I didn't like or appreciate the fact that I made a reservation in advance but when I arrived at the motel I was told that they didn't have any rooms left due to renovations being done. This really put me in a bad position and I had to pay twice as much than I could afford at a different motel down the street. This is twice that Econo lodge has done this to me.

The rooms were nice

For the money good, Comfy bed.

Said genius discount when booking on booking.com but didn't get my ten percent? It was only 44$ anyway.+tax 55

Breakfast free, kind of sparse. Bagels no butter or cream cheese. Jelly.

The room was clean and comfy.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The room was clean and comfy. We arrive during the night because our plane was late, we just slept and ate breakfast the next morning, wich was basic (continental). Check out was super fast, just leave the key on the counter

I like it!

Not sure

It was great as far as staff and the room. I didn't like to see people standing outside of the hotel. I know it's not a lot the staff can do but I didn't like that.

The room was clean, a shame the inside and outside...

Bed was extra firm, breakfast consisted of doughnuts, toast and cereal. Coffee lids didn't fit the cup. As you're walking down the hallway to your room the carpet is very lumpy, could be dangerous if you're wearing heels. When we pulled into a parking spot there was a bra and shirt hanging on the fence..the front desk clerk wasn't in a uniform or a badge, she wore a t shirt and sweats and while I was getting morning coffee was saying to another guest that she doesn't get the supplies she asks for including breakfast foods and a fully operational toaster..

The room was clean, a shame the inside and outside didn't match the upgrade of the lobby area.

The area of the hotel was kind of scary.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The area of the hotel was kind of scary.. the beds are too small and hard. The tv turns in fuzzy and you have to push certain buttons to make it work. Breakfast was donuts and cereal..expected more. Such as yogurt or boiled eggs.

Never again!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Carpet dirty and deteriorating, sink drain doesn't work properly, room smells like cigarette smoke. Walls are paper thin, noise coming from the other room in the middle of the night!

AC fan was quiet.

Horrible. Worst place I've ever booked. Would have rather stayed in my car. no refunds an i see why.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Everything. Didn't have the room i booked. No extra pillows. Room only came with 3 pillows.according to the lady up front they took the pillows from our room for other guest since we got there late. Had to share a bed with my male friend. The police were there raiding the room next to our when we showed up. The breakfast was an orange and granola and juice. Overall terrible.

Miles better than the Howard Johnson we stayed at in Yuma, AZ in February!

Spoke to staff 1st hour of arrival that the exhaust fan in bathroom not working, replied he would get his guy on it. We stayed three nights (not the 2 originally booked), no action. The roller was off the closet door, making it difficult to move (it was lying on the floor of the closet). One of the 3 lights over the vanity was burned out, housekeeping didn't seem to notice. We are 'green' conscious, and followed the instructions to place only the towels needed to be replaced on the floor. Each day, all the towels were replaced. Refrigerator froze our celery, carrots.

Room was larger than expected, the layout very nice, king bed comfortable. I liked the single unit housing the tv, refrigerator, micro.

Friendly helpful staff, with plumbing & cleanliness issues.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Sewage back up in the bathtub & no hot water to shower. The property needs a good cleaning & replace the carpet. The fact my money wasn't refunded for my one night stay.

Staff was very pleasant.

Quiet and comfortable, good value for the price.

The place is very run down on the outside and in the hallways. Old and worn dirty carpets in hallways and stair case. The whole place has a lingering odor that was fortunately not in my room. I stayed for 4 nights and never heard or saw a vacuum once. Other than that housekeeping did a good job. Pool was nice. Only one old washer and dryer set for the entire hotel. The place was surprisingly very quiet even though it was booked the entire time I was there.

The room was large and clean.

Staff is excellent, rooms are clean and comfortable, price...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast is terrible one of the worse ive seen.

Staff is excellent, rooms are clean and comfortable, price for my stay is always reasonably priced, I choose this location over all others for those reasons.

Fair to Good overall.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There were no eggs or waffles for breakfast just cereal, juice, bagels, and toast. We were disappointed about that and ended up going to a restaurant. Recommend that you detail, that only a continental breakfast is served in your amenities description.

The room was clean and very low noise level. The bed was comfortable and pillows were soft, slept well.

Every day they were out of something!

Read above

Every day they were out of something! 5 days no butter! Couple different days no cream cheese! Bagels where half the size of a baseball. When they had them! No staff around to restock stuff! Only one side of the double toaster worked! Had to go to front deck when something ran out! Last day they had no PLATES!!! I told the front desk the manager he sould fire himself!!! Spent 11 days and every morning breakfast was a Joke!!!!

Staff very helpful when Greyhound screwed up my internet...

No Jacuzzi rooms,but there is an outdoor hot tub,well maintained.E

Staff very helpful when Greyhound screwed up my internet booking & I was 12 hours late.Room was nice.Large,clean.King bed, not to firm,not to soft,just right.Free coffee in a.m. was nice.

Sweet, clean, comfort
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

One ice machine is not enough and the breakfast was hardly a breakfast. More like free bread and coffee

Nice staff they treat you good and not like just another customer.

The beds are comfy and the back door ir balcony is...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The staff members were very rude and talked crap the next morning when was checking out about alot of people going in and out of room and nobody was loud or affecting anyone so I don't see why having a few visitor's come over was an issue..it was my b-day and so had a few friend's come give me gifts and sing me happy b-day and the staff member was rude how he was talking about me and my friends to his co worker.I Thought it was unprofessional for them to speak about my guests and my room saying it's probably a huge mess because of all my guest's and to go Check the room! It's not right that I paid alot of money for a room there and the worker's were soo rude and judgmental. Actuality the room was very clean and they had to give me back my deposit. Thank God. But, I'm very upset and disappointed that the worker's were able to talk about me and my guest's in a derogatory manner!

The beds are comfy and the back door ir balcony is convenient.

I have been all over the world traveling and this was the most horrific, dirty hotel I have stayed
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There are pictures on line that make it look really nice. Not even close!! Dirty, people coming in and out of their rooms like it was a whore house or drug house. Blood on bathroom door, seemed unsafe for myself and daughter. Terrible terrible experience. Noisy until around 3 am and had to leave just after 4. What a huge disappointment!!!! Also, bedspreads looked like they had been in a ball for weeks and then thrown on the bed, I didn't even want to touch them. Another thing the front desk seemed strange. When I checked in one guy looked at his co worker and quietly said "the only room I have is 243" and the guy just have a quick nod. After seeing the blood on the door and the strange front desk correspondence, I began to wonder what had transpired in that room. Just awful!

This was a great stay and I appreciate the managements efforts.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was extremely lacking.

I was very concerned about this stay due to the homeless people and neighborhood. I was very happy with this stay, the room was very clean and I could tell that the new owner is trying to upgrade the property. The staff was so pleasant and helpful and the Ice was excellent.

Whenever I go back to Mesa I will definitely keep this hotel in mind. My room was comfortable.

Everything was wonderful😄

The hotel clerk name Denise was very helpful and professional. Hotels need more people like her who is there for the customers.

Econolodge is a Great Place to Stay! and
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the way the cards didn't work to open the doors every time. I didn't like the length of the hallways and the parking setup.

I like how respectful the staff is & how eager they were to help me when I needed assistance. I like the way I was able to have friends over without being bothered. We were left alone the whole time like we should have been.

Place could use some improvements!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

It could be so much more, it was a no smoking facility & we had to have a deodorizer placed initially as well as a redo of bed & linens. Cigarette butts everywhere. Same boring breakfast every day, cold cereal & donuts. No eggs or waffles! It was not worth the 8 days & we should have left! Right now we feel we need a credit as it was not worth the money!!!!

The staff was awesome as well as the housekeepers who cleaned up our room everyday.

Okay for the price and not spending much time in the room

The continental breakfast was not as pictured in their website. There wasn't a variety of cereals, no variety of pastries, no hard cooked eggs, no waffle maker and no fresh fruit. We did not take advantage of this at all. The door that opens to the swimming pool from the room was stuck shut and we couldn't open it. The hallways were outdated and smelled stale. During our stay, there must have been a water leak on the second floor as the hallway ceiling tiles were removed and a large fan was running underneath. Overall what you might expect for the low price, but we think we can do better next time we visit the area.

The room was large, the shower was nice, the bed was a little too firm for us but okay, the room was clean.

Not worth the money

For 177.00 the furniture was filthy, cigarette holes in bedding and the neighborhood was sketchy. There was a couple fighting in the room next to us and I called the front desk 3xs and no one answered. Breakfast was all carbs. Definitely not worth the money I was charged by booking.com Don't stay there!

Absolutely nothing

The staff at check in was helpful.

The location did not feel safe. Once we located the hotel, we didn't want to venture out. The room was not clean and was very dated.

The staff at check in was helpful.

Some things just need to be upgraded.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Some things just need to be upgraded. The desk chair in our room was in tatters but had not been removed. The surface around the pool is cracking and it would be nice to have more chairs out by the pool so that all the guests had a place to sit .

Was greeted by a drunk man in his underwear telling my 18...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Was greeted by a drunk man in his underwear telling my 18 year old daughter he was room service and he was right next door! This happening while we were taking our luggage into the room! The non smoking room smelled like smoke. Was moved to another room closer to front desk and a 25.00 discount for the first night. Run down place in a run down area, breakfast was honey buns and cereal. What a disappointment!

Not that bad.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel is old and what I believe was the water pipes were loud enough to wake me up twice at night. The electronic lock did not work unless you put the key it in a certain way.

Rooms were clean, staff was really helpful and friendly.

It was sufficient for the purpose of my visit and length of stay.

The breakfast! There was literally only bread, two apples and two yogurts in the fridge. There was also no room in the breakfast area to sit. It was very disappointing. I had to go have breakfast off site. Also the adjoining doors between rooms were creepy and I could hear all of the conversations in both sides of the room through them.

I liked the size of the room and how the parking was inside of a plaza did the hotel

Very helpful staff, would probably stay there again.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Better planning on supplies for breakfast, no spoons for cereal, no yogurt for 2 days, no bagels available for 2 days, toaster broken, late filling out.

Clean bathroom, shower was sufficient strength to rinse my thick hair, beds comfortable, room was nice size to relax and move around.

Good location, comfortable, nice staff.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Fitness room had no towels, the water cooler was always empty, and the TV didn't work. Carpets in some rooms were stained.

Pool, hot tub, fitness room, parking, staff.

Nice hotel and staff in somewhat sketchy neighborhood.

The neighborhood is somewhat sketchy. No good restaurants within walking distance.

Very nice reception staff. Spacious and clean rooms with a coffeemaker. Very comfortable beds. Breakfast included. Reasonably priced

Pretty good for the money. Not great, but pretty good.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The toaster did not work at the breakfast bar, and all I wanted was toast. I had to hold the button down to get it to warm my toast. The TV in the room worked, but oddly. The A/C really didn't work.

The room was clean, bathroom especially clean. Bed was fine. The entire hotel is a little odd, and a little tired, but it was fine.

Nice
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room seemed a little run down

There was lots of space in the room and liked the channel selection on the tv. Loved that they had lamp with an outlet to charge my phone.

Good place to start for a week end.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

By the map that I saw it show you right by Mesa Community Collage. To check in it took a little longer because of the problems you were having with your computer.

It was clean. Happy it was a pet friendly place. Parking was close to our room.

Inexpensive, but rather tacky.

Facility still needs a lot of work to be in good shape. But it is obvious that they are trying.

Beds were new and very comfortable. Staff tried hard to assist - desk computer was not working well so checkin was difficult.

I wouldn't stay here again.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The carpet was extremely dirty. The neighborhood was sketchy. The parking lot was surrounded by barbed wire on top of the fence. There was hair on the bedspreads (I think dog hair) and the dust ruffles were stained and dirty.

The bathroom was clean. The staff were friendly and the check in person was great. It was surprisingly quiet.

For the value its good

Spa jets didn't work like they should. This older building was surprisingly hollow between room; lost of noise.

Staff from the maids to the front desk people really helpful and nice. Private balconies, great shower and spa if it had working jets and large room

4.5
    The worst night of my life.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I never received a room because they told me I had to give them another 50.00 I couldn't because my paycheck wouldn't post until 12 that night I had to stay in.the street the entire night afraid and I think I should be compensated a free night or something $54.00 was the quoted and total price I asked and that's what I was told it was a scary ordeal that I hope I never have to deal with again I feel your company should have informed me.

3.5
    Big, fat, noisy, smelly, dirty disappointment.

Unbelievable that this place received decent reviews. Dirty, shabby, noisy, horronle. first set of room keys did not work, because it turns out the room was occupied. In the second room, the TV remote didn’t work and the room smelled strongly of both marijuana and cigarette smoke. The guest laundry was right next door to my room and someone was using it well past midnight, also playing music which could easily be heard through the walls. I had an early flight to catch and I barely slept all night. This experience was so incredibly dissatisfying and uncomfortable. For the price I paid I expected MUCH more. Even at half the rate this place would not have been acceptable.

The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating for such an otherwise sub-par establishment.

Good sized rooms.

one of the Front desk ladies was rude and has 0 customer service skills. Tonya was nice but the girl who was working with her sucked hairy balls.

Good sized rooms. Always clean.

It was a nice stay but I probably won't go back again...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

No elevator! Had to walk a mile to get anywhere lol and trucking all my stuff up a flight of stairs kinda sucked. At breakfast everyone was taking ALL the food literally not leaving enough for everyone else at the free breakfast (greedy guests :( )

It was clean, nice and cozy :)

Was very tired wanted to sleep had awful experience there.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Finding a toilet seat in my room not attached to the toilet when I first walked into my room!

Multiple failures by hotel staff and in the the basic things needed for a reasonable stay.

Wouldn’t recommend to anyone who’s nervous about there surroundings

The area is very sketchy. Some hotel clients were suspect for sure. A lot of coming and going of people through the night.

Room was recently renovated and nice.

6.0
    clean and friendly staff, surroundings were scary
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

freezing pool intended to sit by pool and hot tub, our last time to enjoy the heat not happening..guests were scary gang members bad neighborhood, felt unsafe..hot tub was hidden under a roof, if we had known this we had stayed elsewhere room was nice but out side not so much

we wanted to use hot tub, it was not what we expected,,hidden under a roof ( crappy) pool was unusable it felt like ice cubes in there, bad situation ruined whole stay last day to enjoy sun then found it bad wont stay there again bad scary neighborhood, guests looked like gang members, very uncomfortable feeling

This facility met my needs and I will be returning next week.

There was some noise from other visitors, BUT this was not the fault of the management or staff.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Bathroom appeared to be recently renovated and was very nice.

Excellent value for the money. In a sketchy area of Mesa but I felt safe there.

Key card to room didn't want to work many times

The bed & pillows were comfy, the continental breakfast was very good. Nice pool & hot tub although I didn't use them.

Consistently comfortable, convenient & clean

I usually stay in room 119 or thereabouts but this time I ended up on the second floor. Not bad, just different.

I’ve stayed here monthly for the past year and Econolodge is always like home away from home. I had and issue w/ the bathroom sink filling up w/ water because the stopper would not go back up after I put it down. Once I told the housekeeping lady, she took care of it immediately...impressive

Awesome stay, Will definitely return here

There Wasn't anything I didn't like

I really liked EVERYTHING about the property, it was very clean, very professional, Very comfortable. I Couldn't ask for more, I would say best hotel in Mesa for the price all hands down.

It wasn't a to bad of a place to stay but needs some work.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The first day it took all afternoon to cool down the air conditioner, it was stuffy! The tv had to restart every time you turn on the tv. The plastic cards for the doors didn't work half the the time.

The king bed was firm, perfect.

Would avoid it .. go to ramada.. nearly the same price and none of those issues..

Revolting dirty old rug needed changing. Spots on rug. Grout was moldy, rusty (?) and old. sheets and pillows suspect..

that is was in town.. kitchen area.

Good value, good price, but don't walk around at night.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The key card was hard to operate, wouldn't open the room door. Had to front office rekey twice.

The location is good, close to loop and Scottsdale, but kind of sketchy part of Mesa. People are nice.

Ok for the money. Sketchy neighborhood.

Hot tub not so clean. Jets didn't appear to be very strong. Breakfast not a very big selection. Hours for breakfast could be longer. Had a hard time getting in the exit doors. Didn't see an elevator.

Bed was fine. Staff friendly. Rooms clean.

Overall, a great stay!

The breakfast choices were a little slim.

Beds were really comfortable, the staff was wonderful. It was quiet and peaceful, and they were able to get my brother and me rooms side by side, which was awesome.