Reviews of Royal Palms Resort & Spa-in the Unbound Collection by Hyatt 5 stars

5200 East Camelback Road, Camelback East, Phoenix, AZ 85018, USA

#18 of 141 hotels in Phoenix

• Valencia Casita

Layout is complex which is ok but the signage was lacking, making navigating the complex difficult. No ice machines near rooms and no signage or map showing where the ice machine is.

Room was spacious and comfortable. Common areas were well maintained and comfortable. Seems like it would be good for family vacation with pool, gardens and activities on site.

• Ada Estate King Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Nothing. The only thing that would’ve been better is if our trip was longer.

Everything about this resort is perfect. It’s magical around every corner, the staff is hands down some of the best. There’s no reason to leave! Will definitely be back.

• Valencia Casita

Staff was friendly & helpful. Breakfast was fabulous. Pool was relaxing. Grounds were beautiful & clean. Landscaping and layout of grounds were beautifully done. Room was quiet.

• Estate Room King

I didn't care for the cheesy fake red flower valentine displays they put up in the courtyard on Feb. 1 for the month of February. It detracted from the natural beauty of the place, which is filled with beautiful (real) flowers and plants. The place is romantic enough with adding fake flower arches. If they wish to foster romance and attract couples, I would suggest they consider a no children policy. I have been to the resort twice now and both times there was at least one day when there were kids at the pool area whose crying and shouting etc spoiled the relaxing, adult atmosphere. One doesn't expect that at a high end resort that caters to couples. We also did not care for the canned music around the pool - terrible - but that is a small complaint.

A beautiful, atmospheric resort ideal for couples. Good food, if a bit expensive. Very good service and rooms. Lovely welcome champagne offered. The property is a real gem, beautifully landscaped.

• Montavista Terrace King

Royal Palms was absolutely wonderful! The staff was extremely friendly, the views were beautiful, the grounds were well kept, the room was spacious, and the bed was very comfortable!

• Valencia Casita

The wonderfully friendly and helpful staff put this place over the top for me. The resort and our room were clean and comfortable, with charming touches everywhere -- fireplaces roaring in the rooms and around the property, lots of fountains, fruit trees, and more. The restaurant was quite good, too.

• Valencia Casita

The spa does not fit the quality of the hotel. My Husband actually walked out of his massage because the technician clearly had not clue about how to give a real massage. The spa does not fit the standard of the Royal Palms.

We love the Royal Palms. We were married there 13 years ago and chose the property for its beautiful grounds and amazing service. Since the Hyatt purchase the service has slipped a bit but not enough to hamper an amazing stay. We sat in the bar for over 20 minutes without ever getting service. We finally went to the bar and got drinks to go.

• Designer Casita

Friendly staff, beautiful property, excellent restaurant. We would love to come back and stay for at least two days. We didn't have time to enjoy the relaxing pool area.

• Estate Suite

I didn't have a great view of the landscape - saw like a platform with a tree going through the middle. I wish they had self-parking. Sometimes I don't want to have to wait for my car...I just want to go. Maybe I missed the Self-Park sign but if I didn't, hopefully Royal Palms is able to offer it to their guests in the near future.

The room itself was amazing!!! There is a serenity feel when you walk through the property. Simply put, a beautiful property. The staff is fantastic. When I pulled up, Alex greeted me and told not to worry about my things that he would take care of it and proceeded to park my car. At the front desk, I was greeted with a glass of champagne. Later, Alex, the same valet guy, escorted me to my room - told me the history of the property and even walked me to the ATM. Alex even hung up my dresses!!! The pool is open 24 hours. Wow! what service...I will definitely go back to Royal Palms.

• Estate Room King

The pillows were awful. They deflated the moment I put my head on them. I would have preferred if there were perhaps 2 different kinds of pillow on the bed, rather than 2 of the same kind. Or maybe another option in the closet. I also would have loved a little snack option during the day - chips and salsa maybe in the lobby? or a social hour? If any renovations are done to the pool, I would suggest adding in a shelf/seats on the side, so you could sit in the pool with your beverage ;)

The resort was small & intimate, and we really enjoyed not having a huge crowd of people to contend with. The grounds were gorgeous and immaculately maintained. Service from all staff members was enthusiastic, and super friendly. We particularly loved Steven from the pool! The pool was never so crowded you couldn't find chairs to sit in. The cushioned chairs were comfy to sit in and the misters by the patio were delightful. Our room was comfortable and clean. We didn't have any issues with noise from the hallway or our neighbors. The eucalyptus steam room in the spa was heavenly!

• Estate Room King

However, a free shuttle to and from the airport would be nice (as seen in a lot of high end hotels, at least in Europe). And since Hyatt bought it, we were missing the fact that the staff didn't need any tips and the blue towels on the swimming pool chairs that were a plus. But those really are details. We loved our stay and would come back in a minute!

We came across this hotel during a road trip of the US west coast because Phoenix was the nearest airport on our way. It did not disappoint! What was first not a choice became the best part of our journey. We loved it so much than 2 years later we included it in our holidays. The staff is extremely nice and proactive. The rooms and the hotel is beautiful.

• Alvadora Spa Terrace Suite

Only option was valet parking that costs an extra $25 per day on top of the $35 dollar resort fee per day. All told, in addition to paying for the room, all those fees added up to an extra $200 for a short weekend trip.

Spa suite was beautiful and relaxing.

• Montavista Terrace King

Beds are super comfortable and staff is friendly! Rooms are a little dated but outdoor spaces are gorgeous! Wish I wasn't so busy during my trip so I could enjoy the hotel more.

• Estate Suite

We didn't have the best view from our particular room (no mountain view), but the landscaping in the property when walking around made up for it.

The resort felt very intimate. The landscaping is absolutely beautiful, there is beautiful architecture and decorations, and tons of little intimate alcoves with seating...all of this made it feel very romantic, beautiful, and intimate. Perfect for our honeymoon. The room was very comfortable. There is much to see and enjoy just walking around the property. Restaurant was terrific - we ate there for breakfast. We also ate by the pool, and it was great. Bed was very comfortable, and room felt private. Bellmen were very nice and knowledgeable about things to do in the area.

• Estate Room Double

Breakfast was not included in the room and was quite expensive.

Room was spotless. Beds very comfortable. Staff very attentive. Pool very nice setting.

• Estate Suite

the staff was rude tried to move us after our food was delivered and we drove 6 hours.. the new room lights didn't work and the staff acted like it was our problem

2 staff members were great.... everything else was horrid.... everything was broke-just remodeled. Our phone didnt' work. Staff other than the phone guy and Tyler they sucked... rude and could not be bothered.. The phone tech called the front desk and didn't realize we could hear he was rude and told him to figure it out....

• Estate Room King

The rooms are dated and could do with modernising and a fresh pot of paint, new carpets etc.

The hotel built in the 1920s had character, was beautifully laid out with trees and gardens affording an ambient and tranquil space. The rooms are spacious and the air conditioning is fairly quiet, but doesn't extend to the corridors which is a pity as the temperature was up to 40 Celsius which made them very stuffy.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Alvadora Spa Terrace Suite

We were not advised that you had to request room cleaning/service..so we didn't get our beds, towels etc. till 4 th day when night turn down staff responded to my "why didn't they service our room" and was advised you had to request it before noon

Love the property...very private..recently taken over by Hyatt...some changes re service...needs some updating

• Estate Room King

I took time to try to come up with some kind of constructive criticism. I can't think of anything they could have done better.

This is hospitality at its highest level.

• Estate Room Double

Beds were very small. Rooms were a bit dated.

Beautifully decorated boutique hotel. Immaculate grounds. Activity fee covers tips for valet and bellman.

• Designer Casita

Service at breakfast quite slow and breakfast very expensive. Asked if I wanted a 'refill' of my Americano, only to then charge me for two (extra $8). The pool was lovely but unfortunately they allow children at all times and do not regulate the noise and comfort levels for the many couples trying to enjoy a peaceful afternoon or swim. THis was an issue only some of the times but as a 'romantic' destination hotel I would suggest no children.

The grounds and setting were lovely, second to none. The pool staff very attentive, and the food was very good. The room was quiet and comfortable.

• Designer Casita

Fitness center: poor Spa: Average (basic services offered and tired relaxation space) Spa Staff & Management: needs training in customer service skills Restaurant/Overall food quality: very poor (especially for pricing) Concierge and Resort Staff: Friendly but missing expected refinement- need training, customer service etiquette, etc. Overall experience: 3.5 out of 5 Grounds: 5 out of 5 Staff: 4 out of 5 Restaurant/Food: 3 out of 5 Spa: 3.5 out of 5 Fitness Center: 3 out of 5

Immaculate grounds Clean rooms Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Estate Room King

We were MISLED by your website, which states that "Rooms feature European furniture and offer stunning views of the mountains or lush courtyard gardens." We were initially given a room overlooking the parking lot! This is not considered a view, even here in Manhattan. We had to pay extra for Room 306, with a lovely view of the courtyard, when we feel should've been given the room without charge, per your website claim, especially given that the resort had plenty of better rooms available on the weekend of Oct. 29-31. The memory of this inhospitality, which seemed anomalous considering the high level of service otherwise, unfortunately will affect our future decision about returning. On a far more trivial note, connecting to the Wifi involved a 20 minute phone call with your very nice and ultimately helpful tech woman. Also, the arrangement of minibar items in plain view, suggesting they were complimentary, instead of storing them inside the minibar, seemed too calculated. Instead, a bit of complimentary fruit or candy would have made a much better impression.

Truly, one of the most beautiful spots I've ever been. Charming in almost every detail. I'm a watercolorist by hobby and could spend a month there, just painting the nooks and crannies. Wish I had been there longer to paint more than one picture. Steve, who served us lunch around the pool, and all the valet parkers were extraordinarily nice and efficient. The charred sea bass fish tacos were incredible. It was a very memorable two days.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Estate Room King

The price is high, the good could have been better for the price. Or lower the prices on food so the expectations are not so high.

The bed was very comfortable, the atmosphere was so chill. I liked it here to relax.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Designer Casita

It's difficult to navigate the maze of the facilities. On the other hand, I found the place to be a true oasis. In short, the maze seemed to be a blessing more than a curse. Very fun place!

The staff and the spa facilities were very good, especially the staff!

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Estate Room - 1 King Bed

Check in could be better organized.........only one room was ready..second room was "not on the system"

Location and facilities are both excellent. The premises is very nice and romantic

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Estate Suite

Food service was not good

Differed maintenance on what was a spectacular property. Hopefully Hyatt taking over will bring Royal Palms to the great resort it was.

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

• Estate Suite

I was disappointed in the pool staff and the cleanliness of the pool. I know it's hot for them so this may be why there was no enthusiasm.

I liked the reception

• Valencia Casita

Grounds are beautiful! Staff were professional, courteous, and treat you like royalty.

• Designer Casita

Can not park your own car

My stay was too short.

I didn’t like leaving.

It’s a little Oasis in the Arizona Desert. Beautifully kept gardens. The staff are very efficient and friendly.

• Valencia Casita

Poor temperature control. Staff unresponsive to resolve.

Pleasant surroundings.

• Estate Suite

This is not a five star hotel. Old rooms, unavailable services, cheap bedding/mattress.

The grounds were well-kept

Food is on th expensive side at their restaurant .

Beautiful gardens and very friendly staff. Rooms were spacious and bed very comfortable

• Alvadora Spa Terrace Suite

Property was beautiful and the staff were excellent!

• Ada Estate King Suite with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Excellent and friendly

• ADA Terrace - Mobility Access - Non-Smoking

Shopping, views

The very cheerful staff

• Montavista Terrace King

Very romantic getaway. Plenty of places to sit and getaway from everyone for some private time.

• Designer Casita

Everything. People were frieldy food was great the rooms are so nice and comfy.

Zero

Lots to enjoy

I had to leave

Everything was excellent

ongoing renovations

Beautiful property dating back to the late 1920s; perfect to get away and relax!

Everything.A gem.

• Estate Room King

It was 115 degrees in Scottsdale, bit too much for everyone.

Real gem with beautiful garden.

Spa on premises

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Estate Suite

I had a great experience

Stellar staff interface. Accommodating in every way.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Balcony

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Montavista Terrace King

Rooms were showing wear and damage. Halls smelled musty. Room was missing convenience items.

Amazing restaurant service. Great reception area.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Estate Room Double

The grounds were beautiful and the service was outstanding.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Bikes to rent

The property was very intimate great for couples. Get the casitas very private.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Estate Room Double

Bed was a little too soft for me.

Great service in the bar! Great service all valet staff! Great service front desk!

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Estate Room Double

The gym was alright but lacks of a few more machines and the wifi could be faster

The staff was outstanding

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Designer Casita

Extra charges not mentioned at check in

Great beds Wonder staff

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

STAFF WERE GREAT HOTAL SUPERB LOVELY NICE ROOM AND THE BED WAS LOVELY AND COMFY

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Estate Room - 1 King Bed

Value for money Extra cost unexpected

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Estate Suite

It was the perfect girls weekend get away... Amazing service food drinks and simply gorgeous setting and above expectations for our room.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

Great time

• Reviewed: 27 May 2016

Card keys kept failing and we were locked out of our room many times until we could get new card keys! The keys kept failing!!

Quiet, private, clean, beautiful!!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2015

I thought it was a too expensive for what I got. The room I got faced a busy road. It was a decent size, but nothing special, had everything, and was very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice. The wifi worked well. The hotel grounds were very pretty. However nothing about the hotel set it apart from other hotels in the area. Because of that, the prices they have didn't make sense to me. If I would have spent more than one night there, I think I would have felt cheated. Also, the prices at the spa were obscene. $210 for a basic facial, $220 for a massage. Seriously??? If you really really need/want to book a treatment here, it looks like the best way is to buy a spa special through the website.

Everything was very nice. I liked that the tips for the bellboys etc was included in the price of the hotel. Tasty breakfast. Room service food was surprisingly inexpensive and although it was good, it was boring.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2015

Unprofessional Sold our room to price water house conference We were staying one night to celebrate my husbands birthday Such a disappointment

They gave away our room Outrageous And so unprofessional I booked this hotel for one night stay as it was my husbands 55 birthday And when we went to check in Our room was rebooked and hotel was sold out

• Reviewed: 22 September 2015

The only bad experience was we sent back a margarita which we didn't like.....that is only a small negative as compared to the many many positives......

Lots of character, friendly people, clean and quality food and drink. Great location!

• Reviewed: 24 June 2015

Little biting bugs by the pool were most annoying but that's summer in Phoenix.

The room was spacious, well appointed & quite comfortable; little walled-in back patio was a lovely unexpected feature. Heart-shaped, rose petals on bed was a delight! Staff were most pleasant & attentive and kept offering us their best anniversary wishes.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2015

The first day there was a mix up with the rooms. I ended up in a room with no soaking tub, which was the point of my room selection. So I ended up paying more for less for the first night. The second night they gave me the type of room I payed for. According to the online booking site there was no charge for parking, but there is a $19 a day charge for parking.

The rooms were very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The large soaking tubs in the rooms are very romantic. The views of the mountains are awesome.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2015

I just could not get over looking at a parking lot. Ruined it for me. It's too bad.because the rest of the property is lovely, and employees were wonderful. I would not recommend the Estate rooms but if you can ignore the view you might be very happy.

Very comfortable bed. Lovely landscaping.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

The best staff I have ever had a hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

No room service after 11 PM and the breakfast didn't taste good.

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 18 July 2015

Food was expensive and the menu was unfimiliar. But dessert was great. Kinda small portions though

It was nice. Comfy. Helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2015

Expense!

Beautiful grounds and great food!

• Reviewed: 5 July 2015

Diner was average, many extra charges

Pool staff attentive and pleasant, bar live music excellent, very clean and comfortable rooms

• Reviewed: 20 June 2015

Facilities felt a little outdated.

The size of the resort was initiate.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2015

The location was perfect. The hotel itself was cozy and felt secluded even though its in the midst of everything.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2015

The staff was outstanding and the villa we stayed in was wonderful!

There are also 48 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.