Reviews of Rodeway Inn 3 stars

1700 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264, USA

#54 of 69 hotels in Palm Springs

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Mountain View - Non-Smoking

Pictures can be deceiving. It's a very old hotel with old everything. It smells bad, like mold. We had bugs and little crawlers in our room.

The beds were clean and comfortable and pool was big.

Given the not so inexpensive price, the (obviously cold concrete 3 story structure built many decades ago) overall condition of this chain hotel is slightly 'run-down', painted an intentional dull brn/gray, with not new commercial carpet in our 'avg' room, cheap furnishings overall, a 'runny' shower faucet w/not strong water pressure, etc. Noise level from rooms next door & above was mediocre at best. Sadly, we don't get 'as much quality' for the buck as we used to so, unless you spend at least $125-150./nite in P.S., you'll not be impressed. The Breakfast offerings were adequate but just barely so (no ready made oatmeal, no eggs or hot dishes), limited breads & cereals, some fruit & small yogurts.

2 things of paramount value to us were good; A/Location; 3/4 mi. so. of the famous 'retail district' on Palm Canyon Dr. & B/the King bed was comfy/firm/padded/flat overall (though the single multi-layer bed cover is way too 'warm' to sleep under, forcing me to lst leave the noisy but effective AC on before realizing it was better to simply put on multiple layers incl. pajama pants with a shower towel on top of the single top-sheet ie, NO lower temp., blanket option). 3rd, the outdoor Jacuzzi was roomy/sizeable w/at least a few strong jets/though it wasn't obvious where to turn the jets back on. Not a biggie but a subtle plus was we had a nice view of the very nearby rocky mtns & many tall Palm trees from our slider & its 2nd floor patio.

Our room was filthy. The air registers were so covered in dust. Bath tub was gross and did not drain properly, and when it finally drained there was so much hair and dirt that came back up from the drain. When we brought it up to the front desk staff, the guy said, oh sorry, what do you want me to do about it. Very Rude.....

The pool Area was beautiful, very large and well maintained.

Noisy neighbours, but when we complained in the reception, the staff immediately settled the issue.

Okay room. They served breakfast even it was not mentioned in the description (some donut's, waffles, coffee).

Many years ago it must have been beautiful but now it’s old. It needs to be refurbished. Breakfast was in a tiny room and it was very simple.

Bed big and nice. Quite calm area. Swimming pool nice with lots of chairs.

The breakfast was very limited and not appetizing. I could hear the people in the room upstairs walking around and doing other things- very disturbing, especially at 4:30 am

The bed was comfortable and the view from the balcony was amazing. The room and bathroom were clean

The pool was dirty and I ordered from booking.com and it was a terrible experience. They wouldn't let me cancel and wouldn't let me move to the next day. And after they said I can't use cash.and the name of the property was not the same as I ordered.which made it more difficult to find.

The bed was comfortable more than I thought it would be. The room was generally clean.the staff were friendly.

Stay ruined because our room was next to a really noisy mechanical plant room which went all night and wasn’t blocked out with ear plugs. Unfortunately someone in the room above was walking across the room above literally all night making loud creaking floorboards and banging noise

Staff friendly and helpful

Breakfast room was way too small...completely inadequate Room was okay, but dated and a little run down. Towels were cheap and lighting was not great (One lamp on the desk and only very bright ceiling light for reading in bed.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View - Non-Smoking

Terrible bedside lighting. Comforter had yellow stain on it.

Really terrific desk staff. Grateful poolside and hot tub activity shut down at 10pm. Good location, close to Palm Springs.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View - Non-Smoking

I found a dead bug in my room on my floor when I first arrived.

The hotel is cute, the breakfast is all doughnuts and juice and yogurt, not much, eggs would be nice, they are doing renovations but overall good quiet facility

Recently taken over by Rodeway Inns. Staff very friendly and helpful. Older style property but very well maintained. Very clean and good size rooms and balconies. Good internet connection

Walls and ceilings very thin, could hear footsteps, conversations and door slams.

Balcony with view, hot tub, elevator, restaurants within walking distance, comfortable bed.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View - Non-Smoking

The shower did not stay hot and the shower head was too short for an adult-probably mounted at about 5'. Continental breakfast was served in a closet-sized room with limited seating.

The staff was incredibly friendly and allowed us to stow our belongings for several hours at the front desk prior to check in so we could enjoy the city. The front desk gave us great information about getting around the city and using the free bus that stopped right out front. The room was clean and had a fridge/freezer and microwave.

Carpets in the room were worn dated. The office chair in the room squeaked badly. Continental breakfast has no protein Suggest boiled eggs, cheese or peanut butter be added.

Pool, Hot Tub, Courtyard, Wi-Fi

Comfortable room, balcony looking at hills. Walking distance to restaurants and coffee. Breakfast by the pool was pleasant, cereal, toast, coffee, juice, fruit, yogurt, pastries. The pool and spa were enjoyable.

The bathroom sink was in the bedroom and being forced to leave the breakfast room as it had reached 9am. Whilst breakfast ends at 9am I don’t then be expected to move outside to finish my food

Cheep and cheerful. Exactly what we expected.

All was ok...we were there for a very short time! But the air conditioner did work properly and it was a bit noisy....

Bare bones but very comfortable. Staff was very friendly/courteous

Nice to have fridge but was loud Poor lighting in tub/ toilet area

Breakfast ok for free , we chose to eat elsewhere but grabbed bananas to go which was nice Bed super comfortable, we both slept really well here :) - but did need earplugs due to really loud fridge in room Nice bright room with good lighting other than toilet/tub area

My room had sliding glass doors to a deck and the lock didn't work. I felt a little vulnerable.

The gentleman at the front desk when we checked in was very accommodating and nice.

They need to pay a littler more attention to the details. Like a old cooler and table and chairs sitting in the parking lot !!!!'

Great location and the rooms have a balcony.

I participate in the Tour of Palm Springs and reserved a one bedroom 4 months before the arrival date and I found a room with two beds. I was not happy with the change.

The room was ok.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

Everything we wanted: clean, pool side, microwave and fridge. Beds & pillows so comfortable. Proximity to downtown Pals Springs & airport. Nice little breakfast which we appreciated. Thank you!!

No internet.

The staff was new . They were friendly. When my husband left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door all day we came home to no clean towels, The maid came when I called for towels and cleaned the whole bathroom and took the bed apart and remade it with clean sheets. Now that is service!

There was a fire in a room a couple doors down from us . We asked for a refund as the room we rented was overcome by smoke and could not stay . The attendant gave me a refund so all was good in the end. The fire was not the hotels fault and I would stay there on another trip.

The rooms had foul aroma, This place is very old and I imagine there is a remodel soon. underbeds very dirty. Very discouraging to polite but looks as though never cleaned. Find another hotel until improvements are made.

Very nice staff, great location

Very old bedroom furniture, carpet, wallpaper, etc. Malfunctioning fridge, microwave, table lamp, sink plug. Awful shower head (very low and no pressure). Noisy plumbing. They advertised that there is a safety box in the room but was told that I could not use it.

Location, balcony, pool and hot tub. Nice flat screen tv with lots of channels to choose from on cool nights. Lots of pillows always appreciated. The free city bus shuttle to downtown almost at the motel door.

aircon a bit noisy but was not a problem for us. I still rate the hotel highly

Clean, great location, big rooms, comfy bed, good pools Nice view of the mountains Great value for money Highly recommended

See above.

Breakfast choices only average. About 10 seats in breakfast room. Hours for New Year's Day were as weekdays and therefore it closed at 9am!

When the hotel is full of people, we can hear noises from the plumbing when people are having showers or flushing the toilets and from the ceiling when people are walking in the room above us.

The staff is very welcoming and helpful.The bed is firm and big enough. The location is good, close to the Indian Canyon and the golf course. Palm Springs' downtown is close as well.

Great location! A bus stop of free bus is in front of the hotel. Heated pool. Nice breakfast with yoghurt, waffles, fruits, etc. A spacious room with a very comfortable bed. There is a botanical garden, just around the corner. In the evening you can enjoy a fantastic mountains view from a balcony.

I was charged double the amount I was originally supposed to be charged on my card and they were giving me a really hard time and making it difficult to get a refund for the amount they were supposed to charge .. and there was roaches and bugs in our room! I even found a cockroach in the shower it was disgusting

Nothing I was disgusted

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Mountain View - Non-Smoking

Hotel had a new check in system and it took quite long to check in. Saul at front desk was very nice and apologetic so we made the best of the time we waited. 24 hour desk but I called in several times early morning and no response. Not until I called with my cell phone. AC did not work well, took long to cool room off.

Pool and Jacuzzi were clean. Room had a balcony, the view was of the pool area and mountains... Beautiful! N having a refrigerator and microwave was great! Bed was comfy. Waffles, toast, cereal, fruit, juice, tea coffee for breakfast... If you're hoping for more bring your own. Young lady in the breakfast room was awesome!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

Hotel changed owners shortly after booking and I wasn't made aware of the name change ahead of time and it appeared to me at the last minute as if my reservation was wrong. Booking.com was very quick in confirming everything was fine, just a name change.... Maybe they could add eggs/sausage or breakfast burritos to the breakfast menu : )

The front desk staff was very friendly, expecting our arrival and quick & efficient with check in.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Mountain View - Non-Smoking

We were there for one day. Nothing to complain about.

Location was perfect for us. Quiet. Views. Pool was clean and breakfast although limited sufficient. Tea was drinkable!

I wish we had picked a place further north on Palm Canyon Drive. There were more restaurants and activities to do there.

The room was clean and the pool area was very clean. They cleaned the hot tub while we were there. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable and it was an overall good place.

The only bad, was the shower. The knob was broke, you couldn't tell how hot or cold it was,the water pressure was horrible and the water would fluctuate from hot to freezing!

I didn't know I was getting a pool side room, I loved it! Your own private patio with a beautiful view!

This motel like all motels/hotels should offer ADA handicap accessible rooms with hand bars in bathroom and a walk-in or roll-in shower.

Breakfast, room refrigerator and coffee maker, blow dryer, pool and hot tub

The room was small, only had ceiling lights and wasn't even close to the way it was presented on the website. Breakfast was disappointing as well.

Location was alright. That's the only thing I can think of.

Air conditioner can only be set to 76 at lowest, there is a note On a/c. night staff was not very accommodating. Morning staff was great. Needs updating.

Cleanliness, comfortable bed. Spacious room, balcony. Quiet, not a lot of outside noise.

I was confused because the sign outside said "Royal Sun" but I was expecting to see "Rodeway Inn" so it made me nervous that I was staying at the wrong hotel or there was a problem with the booking.

I liked that the hotel wasn't super crowded or busy and that the overall vibe was laid back. I liked that the hotel was conveniently located near Downtown Palm Springs and the Convention Center. I felt like I was just sleeping over for a night at a friend's house.

The invasion of privacy and the barking dog

We had a Do Not Disturb sign on our doors and the maids or someone came in anyways plus took away the do not disturb signs. Also it says it was a no pet hotel but there was a dog in at least one of the hotel rooms. It was heard and seen.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

Older property, but knew that going into it. A/c would cut off during the night=legs outside the covers.

Views were amazing!! There is a free trolley stop right outside the doors that will take you downtown.

Clean, comfortable and in a good quiet location. The room had a fridge and cooking facilities if you wanted. Breakfast was good Cerial waffles fruit muffins ECT.

Pool could use some cosmetic work and hot tub jets need maintenance. One outlet w/light switch by the room's door could use some attention but worked anyway.

Royal Sun was very clean, quiet room, can be darkened for sleeping late or naps, excellent air conditioning (fan has choice of AUTO or stay ON). Staff friendly and accommodating. Location is convenient to everything without any traffic noise.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

To pay only $63 per night, for a twin queen room, with a view of the mountain, wow. Such great value for money. Beds are super comfortable, breakfast is ample. Pool is great, and you are in a great location, have stayed here a few times now, basically just for value for money!

The Ice machine never worked. That needs to be fixed. And please tune the piano in the lobby.

I have stayed here 17 times. I have tried other hotels in Palm Springs, but I like the Royal Sun as it is friendly, affordable and the view is nice. It is my home away from home.

I paid to much for the stay.

First time staying there at the royal Inn. Wasn't to bad. But I think I over paid on the stay there. Everything else was great.

The place was such a great value. Parked right in front of my room, had a private patio, a mini fridge, comfortable bed, great pool. If your looking for more of a social scene you can walk a block to the Ace.

Our key didn't work and a worker had to let us in. It was 110 degrees upon our arrival and room AC didn't work. Second room they offered us had an AC that worked, but it took an hour to cool down the room. It must have been 120 or more inside when we got there. That refrigerator didn't work. Breakfast was over at 9:00 but when we got there at 8:00 there was no food left but bread and butter. The pool was hot. The ice machine was empty every time we went to get ice. The staff bad-mouthed the hotel and Palm Springs in general. We'll never go back.

This hotel offers amazing breakfast. They had a variety of items. The swimming pool was really relaxing and the rooms were clean throughout. We will definitely stay here again.

The hotel needs a spruce up also there seemed to be a lot of local familys staying at the hotel and took up most of the pool.

The beds were very nice also the air con was good

Nothing the hotel could change but during our stay it got up to 111 outside. Ouch!

Very nice stay for the money. When in town we always book at the Royal Sun.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

The room was blisteringly hot and the fridge was off wen we arrived. The temperature in Palm Springs was over 114 and it took a very long time to get the room to a healthy temperature. It was posted to keep the thermostat at 76 degrees which still felt pretty hot until the following afternoon when we either acclimated or were simply grateful to be out of the direct sunlight. While trying to turn on the refrigerator it tipped forward and one of the legs fell off nearly upending the machine onto my son and husband. The bathroom was relatively clean and the sheets and bedding were white with no noticeable stains but did have some visible holes. There was a random dirty sock in the room. There were also several bugs in the middle of the night. Several little black bugs on and in the bed- one was even crawling on me ... on the curtains and in the bathroom as well - yuck!

The check-on was easy and relatively cheerful. The staff was friendly.

My toilet was shaking when sitting on it and fridge made a loud noise as the a.c. No screen door on the patio.Shower head bad.

The locațion.The bed and blanket.The amenities

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

It was in a quiet location with the Buzz bus right out front! Also a cheap Uber ride to everywhere also. The pool and pool area was fabulous. The staff were SO nice and accomodating. I made a mistake on my booking and needed 2 extra nights either side of the dates I organised. This was no trouble for the hotel. The room was fabulous with the best view of the mountains and palms from a big balcony! It was a lovely hotel and we will certainly be back!!!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

There were no issues. Pleased, as, it was a very busy weekend, hotel seemed booked, and no difference in quiet from during week~Literally best private owned hotel in area.

I'm elderly, this was a very clean, easy to get around on property. There were many services available right to room. Great privacy, staff very friendly and accommodating. Best value by far in Palm Springs!

The bathroom was a bit dirty as well as head board. The lighting in room could be improved and some furniture could use an upgrade.

The free tram picks you up and drops you off right in front of the hotel. Comfortable bed and sheets. Parking on site. Across from Moorten Botanical Garden and Indian Cyn Rd leads strait to trails.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

The only two things I didn't like was the room service of towels I called twice for towels and never got them so I had to go and find a employee to give me some . Also I had booked a room with pool view and the guy in the front wanted to give me on the second floor in which I had told him and he said I had to pay extra but my confirmation said different and gave me attitude

It' was nice

I didn't like the add said there was a cancellation period and then after putting my payment in I was told no cancellation and I would have to pay no matter what and no option to cancel at that moment. They charged my card before I arrived and would not accept the credit card I wanted to pay with, which I have done before at other hotels. Then when I found out that the room was not the only non smoking part of this hotel, but the entire grounds-I have never had this happen before, the other places have smoking areas for their smoking customers. My partner had to go down 3 flights of stairs and all the way to a public sidewalk to smoke, this is real insulting to think that a smoker is given no consideration at all. I have informed my friend who writes a paper for the gay bars in Phoenix warning the readers of this situation. The threat of the $300 dollar charge if they felt the room smelled of smoke was not appreciated. Of course I was stuck since they would charge me anyway so I couldn't get my money back and go to one of the other places I have stayed. If this is the trend with the other hotels in Palm Springs that use booking.com and I will not go again. I have been going to this area and using booking.com for over 10 years and have not experienced this before, all of the hotels I have stayed at before were up front about cancellation and the nonsmoking situation. I will never stay at the royal sun again and will make sure all of my friends won't either. I don't smoke but my partner does and this is not an uncommon situation. They have seemed to forgot how many people have made the choice to smoke and their treatment of these customers is down right rude and belittling as if they are some kind of a criminal because they smoke. Allan

The room was fine no real complaints, but when you went into the pool area there was no sign warning you to watch out for the step down and I almost sprained my ankle and fell down.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

The bed was broken my daughter cut her leg on a broken bed frame that had sharp metal on it. We had no towels room was not as clean as it should have been. All in all we took pictures we were not comfortable. We had no choice we want our money back. Every time we asked to speak to manager he was to busy gone or etc. even thou he was right there running in and out office. The maintenance man did nothing but stare me and my daughter down while in the pool walking here and there he freaked us out by standing next to elevator watching us creepy. My daughter felt insecure. Upon leaving we asked again to see manager again to busy. We will be seeking a lawyer for our money back. My daughters leg is infected from cut medical attention is being needed. We just want justice and fareness. Sorry for bad complaint but we were not happy.. need money back for sure.

The fact we had a place to try and rest for the night. That is it.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

The front desk receptionists are very friendly and helpful. Especially, Mr. Art (sorry, that I did not ask his last name). His professional service impressed us, He's willing to take extra steps to help us. He made this hotel an outstanding one!

Not much. Good value.

We expected a deck overlooking the pool. It actually overlooked a street with mountains in the background. Not bad, just not what was expected from the website. Bed was great. Room .was clean and ready when we arrived

Nothing except I wish I could have stayed longer

The staff were outstanding. So helpful Very pleasant and welcoming. The breakfast was great. Will definitely go back. Great price

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

We were evicted from the motel after trying to explain that we were uncomfortable with the heat in our room and was called a liar by the manager. I would never recommend this Hotel that was over priced and poorly managed..

The evening attendant who try to help us deal with a faulty air conditioner that would not work after repeated attempts to fix unit by this man.. I will add we suffered from heat over 90 degrees in our room for two days..

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

Left in the 60's. drab decor. Chipped and broken bathroom tiles and a poor repair to the tub. We're tired and in need of tlc. Over priced for what it was Stayed in room 307 Asked for a pool view. Given a mountain view At checkin asked if room was a pool view and told yes. Mountain view was better than pool view as pool nothing to look at. Cleaning staff friendly. Breakfast very cheap. Pastries cut into 1/4 and dumped into serving dish. Would have been a nicer touch to buy smaller better quality pastries. We paid $240 for two nights which felt Add makes the place look nicer than it is in reality Think low scale motel

Was an ok base for palm springs. Bit out of the main town. Close to the reservation

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Receptionist could have been a little more helpful, we asked her how far and how long the bus took to go into the downtown area she replied "dont know, I have never taken the bus"!!

View of the mountains was beautiful.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

The AC in our room would revert back to 77 degrees after the room cooled down. This caused us to awake because of the temperature in the middle of the night several times.

Great location. Clean, and friendly staff.

It was very uncomfortable to see the maintenance guy work on the light WHILE there were people IN THE POOL.

The television worked and the wifi was just fine. The man at the front desk referred us to a cool restaurant.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

The breakfast area was a little small and would have liked to have had a little more information on public transportation particularly to get to downtown area.

The bed was wonderful and the view from balcony was lovely. Pool area was clean and nicely equipped

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

There's honestly not one thing I didn't like about the staybat the hotel.

I liked that the property offered complimentary breakfast everything morning, and it wasn't just a basic continental breakfasts , they actually gave you options, fresh Belgian waffles, toast donuts fruit cereal etc. you also had your options of cofeee tea juice and yogurt. The rooms were very neat with a convenient mini fridge and microwave for the nights we ate out and brought leftovers to eat letter! This was definitely something that made me very happy, and lastly I loved that the rooms had a nice sized balcony. White a cute little view of the pool as well as a view of a beautiful botanical garden that was across the street.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

The chair in our room was broken, your could hear our neighbors and people walking outside.

We liked the view from our room and that it was comfortable compared to the reviews that we read online, the room was pretty modern. Near downtown area so driving was a breeze. We were in room 212 which is near the pool and right over the breakfast room. As far as breakfast goes there are make your own waffles, fruit and coffee. Its good for a light breakfast but it is not the best.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

Our room smelled strongly of disinfectant when we arrived. Don't want to know what happened, but it should have been well aired out. Guests should note that pre-payment is non-refundable.

The hotel is dated but offers reasonable value for the price. People from Canada and colder climes stay for the winter, probably because it is reasonably priced. The long-term guests give the hotel its friendly ambience.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds and Pool View

Old ppl and families so you have to stay pretty quiet, which is fair, just go to the clubs

Most comfortable bed and pillows I've ever slept on. Everything you ever need is all within 4 miles, the location is perfect. The rooms have been updated so those photos don't do it justice

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Great hotel--clean, friendly, spectacular view, close to everything, nice pool. The rooms are not fancy but very comfortable with fine beds. Can't beat the value!