Reviews of Super 8 by Wyndham Madison South 3 stars

1602 West Beltline Highway, Madison, WI 53713, USA

#27 of 55 hotels in Madison

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The only negative I had was the bed was too hard. Two pillows, not the same size or softness, was weird.

Clean room, good wifi, clean facilities, elevator worked, parking reasonable, pool open 24 hours, good location in Madison. For the price, this is a good deal.

We arrived at ~1130pm on 5/1. It was raining very hard. When we walked in, there was a man with dark hair behind the counter. He watched us walk in, walk towards the counter and NEVER greeted us. My boyfriend was the first to speak. Side note, there was no place for our dripping umbrellas or the plastic things to put them in so that we didn't drip rainwater all over the floor. For the next 10 minutes, the non-greeting man could not find the reservation made through booking.com and said that they had no more rooms available because the last three were already reserved. He suggested I call Booking.com, which I did. The customer service lady showed the reservation as valid and put me on hold to call the hotel. The phone rang and the non-greeting man behind the counter answered. He found the reservation within seconds. Booking had put the reservation under my boyfriends name and not mine. He then told us the room we'd be in 316 and said 'because that was the only one available'. Not sure what that meant because by now, we know we had a reservation. Our room was a 2 queen bed room. It was much smaller than I gathered from the pictures online. The bathroom is super tiny and only has a tub/shower and toilet. The sink is outside of the bathroom. The toilet 'ran'. We had to constantly get up to giggle the handle to make it stop. Again, this was room 316. Although we had a do not disturb sign on the door, housekeeping still knocked on the door to ask if we needed towels. I said no. Another day, a sheet of paper was slipped under the door advising they noticed the do not disturb sign and that if we needed anything, to visit the front desk. That still defeats the purpose of DO NOT DISTURB. The breakfast bar was just okay. There was no meat, no hot eggs (cold hard-boiled eggs). It had the basics, waffles, yogurt, instant oatmeal. pre-packaged pastries. In all, I probably would not stay at Super 8 again.

We chose this location due to the proximity to the VA hospital in Madison. My boyfriend was scheduled for surgery there. I also liked that this hotel had a washer and dryer for the guest to use. There is a Perkins Family restaurant right next door so we walked there on one day. There are also plenty of other eateries close by or a short drive away. A fridge and microwave were in the room, which is always a plus.

Hottub needed cleaned. Its a big hotel though so probaly gets a lot of use. Bed was hard although I slept fine. Pillows not great. I think I paid too much at $100. Breakfast very limited.

Nothing offensive about it. Basic but fine. Front desk man was very polite at checkin. It was quiet. There was a pool and hottub.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

TV didn't work properly until manipulated co-ax cable in back of TV. It was loose and tightened it up. Heater/Cooling unit didn't work until manipulated plug with breaker on it. Lot of hassle for things that should have worked properly.

Comfortable. Clean. Good breakfast.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

i regret getting a room on the ground floor. There was some strange noises outside the window at night and i was not having a good sleep. Not the hotel’s fault though. just ask for a room on higher floor.

they have everything you need. great value for the money.

Tv not working.

The tv didn't work in our room but the staff did try to fix it. The staff is what made the place worth giving it another stay in the future.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

My only complaint is that my coffee wasn't replenished for 2nd dayand that the cleaning staff were very loud....the font staff were very friendly.

Nice location

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Nothing, all good, will be back next year.

Location of Kohl Center, hotel rate, nice parking stall for veterans, everything was outstanding, staff very courteous

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The lock on the door did not work properly. Cleaning staff came in unannounced, despite having a "do not disturb" sign hanging on the door knob. It was only about 10am and checkout was 12pm (due to daylight savings time).

Service at front desk was good and accommodating. Nice to have pool and hot tub.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Refrigerator froze all of my food that I bought and had to throw out $40 in food and the microwave didn’t work properly.

The room is nice and staff is friendly

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

$1.50 per night "safe charge" on bill that I had to remember to make them take off when leaving. It was in the fine print that I always read before signing but I bet most people don't.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I thought there could have been a better variety at breakfast, but it was a Monday so I am not sure if they had ran out of stuff over the weekend.

The room was very nice, I wish that I could have spent more time there but I was just passing through and needed to get some sleep before a long drive home.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was a dog in the room next to us that barked non-stop for quite some time. However, eventually did quiet down. No, we did not feel need to contact hotel staff to report this, as didn’t occur during sleeping hours. While the hotel room appeared to be clean, it was obvious that it needed to be updated. As example, the bathroom door was quite worn likely from the humidity/moisture from shower use.

Allen, the guy who checked us in was awesome! Made adjustments that allowed us to check in upon arrival, well in advance of normal check in time. He was also very informative when asked questions about transportation.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Loud drum people outside my room in the middle of the night. Someone pounding on doors in the middle of the night yelling “security”!

Bed was fine. Location was ok

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The pool was filthy, there was a layer of dirt on the bottom. You could see the clean spots by other guests footprints. Did not even try to risk it. Had a many problems trying to contact my wife, while she was back at the hotel. I would call her to wake her up. Sometime I was just told to call back, then I was told she was not a guest, then I would be directed to the wrong room. Breakfast was different, only hard bolied eggs, and no proteins. When comparing to other hotels, that offer a fuller faire, the price difference, is not that big of difference.

The room was very dark at night.

I could hear people on either side of me. Heard dogs barking in the middle of the night. Would have liked a sheer curtain on the window so when opening the main curtain you still have something blocking the view from the building next door

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I wasn’t able to cancel reservation once I booked it a month in advance. In the future, I would not book based on their NO cancellation policy.

I was pleasantly surprised. Hôtel exceeded my expectations of a Super 8. Great check-in experience. Gentleman advised/suggested Restaurants close by & printed menus for me.

Staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. We booked four rooms for many of us to stay after the Wisconsin Badger game and they let us do a small post game party in the dining room because it was raining outside. We really appreciated that.

The view was of a garage of sorts and the day of checkout (check out st 11am) a maid tried to enter the room at 9am while we were still asleep to clean the room

Check in staff was awesome! They were helpful & extremely friendly

Nothing bad to say. Everything was good.

The hotel was fine. We were there to get my daughter in her dorm so did not stay much in the room but it was clean and comfortable so we had not complaints.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I had to leave the next day...

The hotel was very close to where we wanted to go for drinks. The staff are awesome as well as the room was awesome too...Will definitely stay again...Thanks for making our weekend pleasurable ....

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The gym was very tiny and neither the bike nor the running machine were working

The staff were brilliant and went the extra mile to sort out any niggles.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast could have been better but adequate, nonetheless what was available was good, fresh and plentiful and at the end of the day it is a motel and this is really being very picky.

The staff were so friendly and helpful, the room was excellent and always clean. very nice place to stay.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Bathroom was a little run down (I had to fix the toilet flush chain at one point, the water spout in the tub looked like it would fall out of the wall if you touched it, the air conditioner made strange noises). Healthier options at breakfast would be appreciated (more fruit options, oatmeal/yogurt that doesn't have added sugar, etc).

Room was clean and comfortable. Included breakfast was convenient. Price was comparatively very good. Close to a highway and easy drive to the downtown and the Alliant Energy Center (where we were spending most of our time). The hotel was generally quiet after 10 PM.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Gym very tiny and the running machine was out of order

Excellent location for where we needed to go (Aliant Centre). Staff extremely helpful and any niggles were sorted out straight away. Would definitely stay here again.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Harder to find than it should have been. signs should have been more prominent.

Reasonable vfm and much better than some of the other chains I have used.

Just wished there had been another room available - couldn't get over the damp, clammy feeling and smell (of old food odors?) that wouldn't go away. I've stayed here before and never encountered these.

Clean. Comfortable. Everything worked.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The edges of the pool have a bit of black mold...not too bad but needs attention.

For the money this property is top notch...as comfy and well appointed as places that cost much more...the pool and hot tub were great...staff is very friendly...breakfast was good too. Pool hours very convenient...computer room...laundry room. Very clean bathroom!

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The screaming baby in the next room that started at 6am. The front desk woman when I checked in was a total flake and in the middle of checking me in started to help another guest. What should have been a 5 minute check in took 20 minutes. She also didn't let me know there was breakfast available the next morning so I missed it but paid for it. Overpriced hotel for what it was, and I feel like because it was a late night check in they were price gouging, but I was having car troubles on my road trip and had to pick something nearby.

Close and convenient to where I needed to be. Clean modern rooms.

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Forgot phone charger. Called when I noticed and next day and still not "logged" in lost and found book.

Surprisingly quiet and comfortable bed.

No complaints.

We had an illness in the family and they were unable to travel to Madison on Friday. The receptionist did not charge us for the room, but held it for them on Saturday. We really appreciated that! It was very unexpected.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Our 2 night stay was pleasant except for the noise that we could hear from neighboring rooms that bothered us both nights. During the second night, I had to go to the front desk at 1am and then again at 1:30am to complain about the loud talking and yelling in the room next to ours. The incessant talking and yelling had been going on for over 3 hours and was not only keeping us from sleeping, it was quite worrisome to our nerves. The staff did tell the guests in the room next to ours that they would call the police and have them removed if the noise continued, but it continued until after I complained a second time and the staff had to come by & warn them again. It was a sleepless night for us.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Because of the low price you don't get conditioner or lotion, only shampoo, just FYI. Very basic TV channels. Very close to a major highway, but wasn't too loud. Ask for a room on the third floor, could be more quiet.

I was only looking for an inexpensive bed for the night and this exceeded that for sure. Not sure if I had a room with extras or a standard as I paid a little more for free cancelation, but it was decorated nicely for the price and had a fridge and microwave. This property is very near the highway but I didn't hear too much as my room was facing away from it. I liked that the blow dryer had a little light embedded into the handle which acted like a night light for getting to the bathroom at night. Also I thought it was sweet that they have veterans parking up front.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The girl at the desk was super friendly!!!! I wish I would have gotten her name!! Absolutely wonderful!!! Beautiful property!! Didn't expect it to be that nice being a super 8

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The size of the bed and size of the TV

The staff were excellent and very helpful. Pool and whirlpool were also excellent. Parking was great and close.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Absolutely awful stay, the staff was horrendous and the manager wasn't even there or able to be contacted by phone. There are so many better hotels in Madison, spend the extra $10-$20 so you're not pulling your hair out by the end of it.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

This time was probably the absolutely worst stay ever in any hotel! There were parties across the hall and above us. The people had no consideration for anyone that may want to sleep ... yelling in hallway ... doors slamming ... stomping on floor above us. We called the front desk at 1:00am and finally had to move rooms at 2:00am, but only across the hall. Not much better. It wasn't quiet enough to even fall asleep until 4:00am only to have all the doors slamming again by 6:00am as all the party goers left!

We've stayed here many times before due to kids in college. It has always been a great stay!

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Comfy bed, all the amenities, and an immaculate room! Plus, the staff went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful. My 3rd stay... and I'm sure I'll be back again!

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I called before our arrival to ask about check in times. The woman on the phone wasnt helpful and, rather than telling me what time i could check in, she went on and on about how they "clean rooms sporadically" and "when you get here we will see if one is available." She generalized by saying when "I came back they could give me a key". I asked "uhhh when I came back from where???" She finally told me check in was at 3. I said thank you and just hung up.

The room was very clean. The hotel smelled clean and looked very organized. The manager was very kind and hospitable.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The waffles were fine by us. However another hot breakfast item like scrambled eggs would be a nice addition. Also Danish or muffins would also be nice.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

I wish there was cold water available for breakfast. I wish that there was a gluten free batter for waffles, even if it was a pre-mixed, pre-measured that you had to request and a sign that indicated gluten free items upon request. I know that they are costly and you wouldn't want to just have them out for anyone

Coffee/hot water for tea/cocoa available 24/7 Staff gave prompt attention to anything we needed like an extra pillow and towels. I loved that there were parking spots for Veterans

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was looking for the space for 7 people (4 adults and 3 kids), got 2 rooms with a single queen bed each. Didn't have time to argue after the whole day of walking in the wonderful town of Madison.

Nice and friendly stuff, clean room, good breakfast

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Didn't like that fact that I had forgotten something in my room and called an hour after I checked out and was told that they would go look for it when they had time and of course when they called me back 7 hours later it was gone. They told me nobody took it but somebody had to of because it was not in my suitcase. So although the hotel was clean and friendly I will not go back unless they can find my things and send them to me.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

I came away with what can only be described as bed bug bites over most of my body, which makes me glad I wore shorts to bed. The staff was great, the asst manager helped me move rooms because of noise problems very easily.

Location was good for my visit plans. The room was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hot tub heater went out. They reset it , but it was luke warm at best. A little disappointing after walking all day.

Room was very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

n/a

Staff was very helpful, rooms comfortable & clean, breakfast was fantastic, felt very safe when I had to walk my service/therapy dog late at night or very early morning, easy to get to places, good restaurants close by, really enjoyed my stay.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was so limited: waffle station, 2 cereals, apples, and a packaged pastry. I really would have liked eggs or bagels.

Price was great for Ironman weekend. Facilities were clean. Check in was super easy. Room was bigger than I expected with a love seat, mini-fridge, and microwave.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel charges an automatic $1.50 plus tax daily for use of their in-room safety boxes. The desk clerk took it off immediately but it still got calibrated into the amount. I think this practice causes more problems for the guests and front desk than need be.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Totally surprised that Super 8 had improved so much over the years. Had not stayed in a S8 for 20 years. Would definetly stay at another while traveling.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There had been a lot of rain, and our room was quite humid, but otherwise comfortable.

Comfortable new bed, updated rooms, easy to get to from the freeway.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bad musty smell in the room. People I was staying with had to change because their room had water all over the floor. Other person I stayed with had bad allergic reaction to mold in room and was sick during the stay. I had to change my keys 4 different times because they kept not working. Later I was told to keep the key away from my phone - if I had been told this up front it would have save me some headaches of having to get my key changed out several times.

I did enjoy using the pool and hot tub.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

First room had a strong odor, floor was wet, and I suspect the odor was mold. Told the front desk, they moved us, but I'm pretty sure they did nothing about first room. Two of our friends in separate rooms both had strong moldy smell... they did not ask to be moved. When something was said to front desk, we were told that remodeling had recently been completed and there was some issue with the AC moisture running into the room and needing to be propped up to drain out... huh?! Made no sense... if you know there's a problem, fix it!! Meanwhile, one of my friends ended up sick from the mold in the room... he regretted not moving!

Breakfast was stocked fully until cutoff time at 10am and Belgian waffles were great!

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

I would like to see yogurt and bagels available at breakfast.

Traveled here for a campus visit at UW-Madison. Room was clean & comfortable. Breakfast didn't have many choices, but we found something to eat. Didn't use the pool or any of the other amenities.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It would be nice to be able to turn on the bathroom light without the exhaust fan coming on.

It was quiet, the cleaning ladies were friendly, and the staff was responsive to our needs.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We woke several times during the night to find the fitted sheet had popped off the upper corners and was bunched up under us. Sheets that stay put would be a major improvement. The continental breakfast area was extremely crowded, would have helped to have beverages on a separate counter from rolls, cereals, toast, pancake/waffle makers. We managed to grab a couple of coffees, but gave up on anything else. No place to sit anyway.

Room was large and comfortably furnished. Bed was very comfy and firm enough for our bad backs.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Price was high for a one day stay with a sunday night check in... Some a-hole door dinged the brand new car I bought the day before. This was done purposely as I took extra care in parking... Someone gave a great review about the breakast. That was a lie. Had only a few items out. I ended up going elsewhere. Nothing within walking distance.

Room was nice. Had fridge and microwave. Fridge wasn't noisy. Nice flat screen tv and cable channels. Shower was nice.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

Nothing negative to report.

The location was perfect for all we had plans for. The entire facility was very clean and surprisingly quiet being right on the highway. The breakfast although simple was well attended to. There was also a nice selection of TV channels and the place looks exactly like the online photos. We'll be staying here on all future Madison trips.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

This is the fourth time we've stayed here. We were an easy quick drive to UW campus. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was great. The staff was top notch.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The air in the room kept shutting off but that was only because the storm

I like the fact that the pics online matched the room. It was roomy and the cable package was awesome. Fir this to b a Super 8 I was very pleased with my visit. Anytime I am in Madison Wisconsin I will use them.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

No lobby to sit and wait for friends. It is all dining area.

It is great as a budget and family stopover. The pool is very nice for kids. The room was clean and in order. The breakfast is basic with prepackaged Danish which is not so great, normal cereal and excellent waffles.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

getting the crib in the 1st place was hard

welcoming staff. we had an issue getting the crib at checkin, but the manager apoologized and compensated us for the inconvenience

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

No air conditioning - everyone in the hotel had the same complaint; party going on in pool room and outside with grill and alcohol - no security or management intervened.

Pretty good breakfast and nice pool with hot tub

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

The pool area needs to be monitored more. A large fight broke out around 11pm at night and they went screaming up and down the hall the screaming and yelling lasted well over a half hour. I dont think the situation was handled well and i know a large amount of guests were disturbed. To be honest i dont even think any of them were hotel guests because they all packed up and left in their cars awhile after the incident. We talked to other guests that were staying there that came out to see what was going on and they also agreed the cops should have been called and the guests asked to leave the pool area.

There was a very helpful receptionist at the front desk. I never got her name but she was a younger lady with brown hair. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Same price as previous night at a Hampton Inn. Your breakfast offering was not up to speed.

No fluffy eggs available. Room was quiet and bed was decent.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I don't like being nickeled and dimed. where do they get a charge for a safe for each day ( which we didn't use). It reminds me of airline charges for 2 inch wider seats. Will they next charge for light bulbs?

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

I loved the staff. They were happy and kind. They treated me like a friend. The outside was clean and well lit. Very welcoming. My room was better than expected. I loved the bed and the pillows! Breakfast was good and the pool was perfect. And the shower.. Loved the shower. I always judge a hotel by its shower. :-).

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

it was under construction, nothing warned us that parts of the hotel were ripped up and no carpet in some hallways. Didn't have access to ice machine

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was a little sparse if you didn't want a waffle - but the offering of the oatmeal and fresh fruit was good.

Bed and pillows were super comfortable. Staff was very friendly. Didn't get to use the pool or hot tub but they looked clean as I walked past. This location is undergoing renovations and it looks great!

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Just the overall atmosphere..great beds room hot tub pool & front desk people..

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast area was too small and selection wasn’t that great, just adequate.

Clean. Pool was quiet and well kept

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Location was key and value was secondary. Essy access to all parts of Madison. Top ratings on both, well appointed with amenities.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

It seemed a bit run down. Some locals said it wasn't the greatest place in town to stay ...

It was quiet and the king size bed was comfortable.

I did not have the breakfast. My husband did and thought it was fine.

The food .... same boiled egg everyday.

I liked the cleanliness of the facility and the location of the place.

• Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

TV wouldn’t work unless I power cycled it and the Charter router.

Very clean and comfortable room. Pool was nice and open until midnight.