Reviews of Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area 3 stars

100 East River Drive, East Hartford, CT 06108, USA

#3 of 5 hotels in East Hartford

Great restaurant staff!!
    • Room Selected at Check-In

The front desk management had terrible people skills. They were argumentative and made up rules as they went along.

The restaurant staff was five star!! They were ALL excellent!!

Very Rude!!
    • Room Selected at Check-In

This was my 3 hotel ive stayed at in a week. I am traveling with my daughter. I am a very frequent traveler. I have been in the hotel business and am in hospitality now. Most issues can be solved with a smile and a good attitude. I have probably booked at least 60 different hotels on Booking in the last year or so. This is my first review. I think. It takes a lot to get under my skin. The staff was not friendly. They were more on the rude side. When I booked the room on Booking it said that check out was at noon. It also said that in the room on the back of the door. We had a late night at a show. At 11.00 the maid was banging on the door as if the building was on fire. When I opened the door she snarled at me and said check out was at 11. I immediately called the front desk and the front desk agent wasnt much better. When I left my room, I passed the maid in the hall and she looked at me like a just spit on her. So angry. I went down to check out and the front desk agent not even the smallest smile or anything. She just pointed at a wall placard and said check out was at 11. I can understand someone having a bad day, but something must be in the water there.

I really liked leaving the property!

It was good stay
    • Room Selected at Check-In

They charge for breakfast , it was disappointing to pay 12%+ Tax for breakfast It should be available for free , my opinion

The hotel was quite with no noises , previously I had a bad experience with the next room . The people were very loud night and after mid nite and early in the morning , was terrible stay

Family celebrating Graduation from university.

The only thing I didn’t like was the front desk. Some of us were new at staying at a hotel so their were more repeated questions and need to understand. Their was so empathy during our check in. Check out was okay again no since of caring that we were leaving. Service at breakfast time was excellent. I love the staff their again those who were new at this finally got people who understood and were more comfortable hen happy to help. Thank you. I which I could remember their names.

Convenient and comfortable

I don't think that I would pay to stay at the holiday inn. Sorry
    • Room Selected at Check-In

The tubs had a bit of mold, the bathroom needed a vent to defogged the mirrors

The bed was hard, and not only that, there was human hair on the sheets and pillows when we got there. I would think that the staff would change the sheets needed for the next guess, but apparently, it didn't look that way. Not only that, it was very loud and noisy. THere was even an emergency evacuation. Ridiculous!

The friendly staff made us feel welcome the moment we walked in.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Was a little disappointed with the price of the breakfast buffet. I thought it was overpriced for what was offered...

The place was so easy to get to...right off the expressway. The great places to eat and all the night life were in the downtown area, which had some shady characters, but since the hotel was farther away (just across the river!), it was free of shady characters and we felt much safer. Because the bed was so comfy, we melted into the bed at the end of the night. Was pleasantly surprised with the overall quality of this hotel.

Great, clean, relaxing atmosphere with excelent service.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was good, not GREAT. A little pricey for what was included. The ONLY thing I disliked was breakfast was almost $13 per person.

The hotel was beautiful. It was very clean and eell maintained. The breakfast was good, but a bit pricey. It had an indoor pool.

Location was close to where we were visiting.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Room was noisy; room across hall was such that you could hear all their noise from under the door.. We thought that free coffee, tea in morning should have included hot chocolate or similar. We asked 2x, but staff said that they didn't have any. Staff was OK, but not like Marriot (FL) that we used recently. Marriot just gave you feeling that they wanted to make your stay enjoyable, and friendly. More training might help E. Htfd.staff. Booking room was a chore, especially about prepayment, whether hotel had credit card info., etc. Price of breakfast seemed very high, except for kid's meal. Waiter tried to be helpful, but seemed new, inexperienced.

Location was close to where we were visiting.

This was a clean, comfortable stay, but front desk requires more service.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I searched booking.com for a hotel which included breakfast. This hotel had breakfast but we were charged for it. I misunderstood the "included" to mean it was part of the room price, but apparently it just meant they have breakfast available. This was misleading. Also when we arrived there was only one person at the check-in counter. There were three of us in line waiting, the phone was ringing off the hook and the process took much longer than needed had more employees been at the desk.

The food was good and the service was equally as good in the restaurant.

Won’t go back
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Staff generally unfriendly (with exceptions). Particularly the girl at checkout told me quickly that since I booked through a third party (booking.com) it is them who would send me the invoice by email. Still waiting for it... She probably didn’t want to bother printing it. Also the Holiday Inn Express in Centereach NY (where I stayed the night before) had no problem giving me the invoice.

They gave out coupons for a free breakfast.

Pleasing experience with excellent facilities and helpful staff
    • Suite with Two Double Beds

The room was cold when we first arrived. Turned on the heat and one of the machines seemed to not be working and was just pushing out cold air. After a while it was fixed but it was quite cold for a little while.

Very spacious and clean suite. Great view!

We forgot two swimsuits in the room when we checked out.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We forgot two swimsuits in the room when we checked out. I called immediately the next day about it. They took my name and number for someone in lost and found to call me back. I called everyday for the next 7 days and gave my name and number each time being assured someone would call me back. On the 7th day the gentleman at the front desk on the phone said "oh yeah I heard about that" and said "yeah they didn't find them." I asked him "they didn't see two black swimsuits sitting all alone in that room" and he said "yeah no" So I ask - how much effort went into helping me? If they really clean their rooms to a high standard ...... then they could NOT have missed two swimsuits hanging on the hook of the door in the bathroom. First time ever we have forgot something behind. Just wish they would have been more helpful - sounded like no effort went in to it at all.

unpleasant
    • Room Selected at Check-In

The bathroom was not completely cleaned and the room had a smell. I found toenails clipping on the bathroom floor. Neighbors on that floor was loud and running through the halls all night until 3 am. The swimming pool had too much chlorine. I had to take four showers to get most of the smell out.

The bed was comfortable.

Not great but not the worst, mediocre at best.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The place was kind of outdated. The carpet in room was old and very worn. The heating had poor adjustment. We asked the front desk for good food delivery (as the restaurant was closed) and they recommended the worst possible pizza ever. We did not receive our free included breakfast. The front desk seemed a bit unorganized upon check in. Overall I would not choose this property again while visiting Hartford.

First visit to CT was great
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

staff at check in were very friendly!!! engaged in conversation with us about why we were in the area, recommended the food at the hotel and just all around very professional and friendly

• King Leisure Room

Needed a Getaway with our busy lives it was very nice to come to a place where the staff made sure all your needs were taken care of. I am sure my husband I will be returning in the near future

Will not return there on turn around. Tell others to stay away from Hartford!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Ronald at the front desk was exceptionally rude. When asking for a AAA or member rate. Said I didn’t qualify. I wanted to pay cash, he wouldn’t allow it. Then said he was charging me an additional $50.00 for incidentals. Which I’m sure he could have waved.

Leaving

Checked in, found out I was overcharged without my consent and it ruined our night.
    • King Leisure Room

The room rate was $159.00. After 15% taxes and fees the total was $182.85. We checked in, paid for the room and went to take $20 out at the atm for parking in Hartford as I was hosting as my wife's 40th surprise birthday party at City Steam in Hartford. My card was charged $220.46 for the room. The front desk clerk was very ignorant and kept telling me the additional $37.61 was for "taxes and fees" and then he would say "I don't know what to tell you" and blamed it on me reserving the room with Booking.com. Now I know I already paid $26.85 in taxes and fees in addition to the $159.00 room charge, making my total for the room to be $182.85. He had no logical answer for me for this additional $37.61 I was charged, as it was an unauthorized charge that was placed on my card. I had zero funds left for parking for my wife's party. I couldn't be more upset, I had to borrow money from my wife on her birthday because of this. I will never use Booking.com again, nor will I ever stay at a Holiday Inn again due to the incompetence on the front desk clerk's part, and the dishonest business practices of charging hidden costs from Booking.com. I need someone to contact me and provide me with some answers about this charge, and when I will see my money that was taken from me without my consent. I would also appreciate something to be done for this massively embarrassing inconvenience. This will only be the beginning of a slew of bad reviews I will leave as a result of this horrible experience.

The room was new and modern looking, nice furnishings.

just ok nothing extravagant
    • King Leisure Room

That they didn't even made up our bed and for the price of the room . No continental breakfast wasn't good. And it's far from everything.

We didn't get any breakfast they didn't clean our room while we were out return in the night to find bed didn't make or nothing , but the hotel overall is clean.

We cancelled the rest of our stay. Bookings helped us get a refund!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was not clean. There were stains on bedding, carpet and walls. The tub was not cleaned. We took photos because the conditions were so surprising for a Holiday Inn property.

Great value for a quick over night stay and close to concert venue.
    • King Leisure Room

Area is a little sketchy. The room had a musty oder when we walked in.

Everything looked clean. Staff was was friendly and check in was easy. I didn't get a change to utilize the pool area, but it looked nice. Air conditioner worked great.

Breakfast was outstanding inclusive the breakfast staff thus...

Breakfast was outstanding inclusive the breakfast staff thus the positive opposite to staff at reception who was lighty bugged to answer simple questions. The hotel itself seems to be highly frequented by families with young kids and people using the indoor pool with any towel thus reception area and elevators are flooded. Have never seen such a usage of a pool but it seems to be normal because wet caution signs are installed. Sufficient parking space directly in front of the hotel. Hotel and rooms have definitely already passed their zenith and need for renovation is obviously.

Excellent value and walking distance to many interesting sites in East Hartford.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

In the first room we could not get WiFi. Edward immediately moved us to another room and problem was solved

Edward at front desk was great. Buffet breakfast was super. Walking distance to Mark Twain (Samuel Clemmins) house and museum.

some improvements noted more staff available to help guess.
    • King Leisure Room

we were checking out at 11:00am and house kepping was knocking at the door at 8:30 to clean the room. Could not wait for us to leave and then clean the room ?

the bed and pillows were comfortable

I didn't like the fact that there was no refrigerator...
    • King Leisure Room

I didn't like the fact that there was no refrigerator nor any microwave in the room when I basically paid a total of 146.00 for a night. Other than that everything else was very good.

Relaxing
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The smell from my room. Everything else was great!

Aesthetically the hotel was nice. The staff connected to the restaurant was great! The morning buffet was great. My room was also very nice however there was a strange funky smell in the my room which I was not happy about. Overall my stay was great!

Overall it was a great weekend. I would visit again.
    • King Leisure Room

We ordered a microwave and a refrigerator for our room but we did not receive it and when we asked bout it the receptionist acted as if she had no clue as to what we were talking about.

The room was clean and the staff members were friendly, especially Daniel. Daily housekeeping.

The bed was very comfortable.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

No phone in the room, I didn't get the number of beds reserved, my card was charged before I got there (per booking.com, that was not supposed to happen), card deactivated daily, was told that breakfast was included at check in then was told that I had to pay after I fixed my plate.

The bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

The hotel was great but we were going to a concert and the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The proximity to the venue and the shuttle situation should have been more accurate. We walked by several hotels we could have stayed at.

The hotel was great but we were going to a concert and the website said the venue was .9 miles away and the shuttle would drop us off. We took the shuttle and got dropped off 1.5 miles away? Had to walk and my sister fell on the sidewalk that had buckled and ended up in the Hospital with a concussion and several cuts and bruises.

Could've been a better stayed
    • King Leisure Room

No Continental for the price your paying for ... the pool was over packed with kids so you couldn't swim so their wasn't much a benefit off the price you paid for. The price should've been $98 or $89 to stay. The curfew was a little too much 10 at night to be quiet. Felt like I was in a boarding school.

Staff had good customer service skills.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Terrible in room air conditioning
    • King Leisure Room

Air conditioning way below standard, noisy and not working properly, in fact I had to stay longer for further meetings so have shifted to the Marriott

Close to city

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The stay was great with very friendly staff
    • King Leisure Room

The hotel room have a coffee maker but no coffee or condiments

It was a great and comfortable stay the only problem upon checking in the hotel they didn't have the confirmation code from booking luckily there was a room available for my stay else I would have been without a room which I had booked way in advance .

The hotel overall was clean.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom need to be cleaned more. The linens had a stain on it. Also, I had difficulties adjusting the room temperature. The morning receptionist was not friendly.

The hotel overall was clean.

Over all pretty good
    • Room Selected at Check-In

There should be a curfew for noise after hours. Some people on our floor were very loud and obnoxious till 2:30 in the morning.

Very close to everything

• King Leisure Room

The house keeping that wake us up at 7am to ask us if we was going to stay or leave .. plus in the booklet in the room it say check out at 12 noon and housekeeper told us was 11am so I call reception and they say 11 so I told them why you guys have the booklet in the room saying 12 😔

Almost everything

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Bad experience
    • King Leisure Room

Received call 2 minutes after checking in to ask how we liked the hotel!! Really? Not enough time to tell. Requested wake up call - did not receive it. Got a call to ask how we liked room service - duh, wrong room. Charged $1.00 for ice in the restaurant. Really? Had to ask manager, who had no idea why I incurred the charge. Ultimately taken off bill, but the hassle was not appreciated. Tried to shorten room reservation, based on husband's surgery needs. Front desk refused to assist, stating booking.com needed to handle. Booking.com website suggested dealing with hotel. Not user friendly. Would never use booking.com nor holiday inn sites again.

Friendly welcome at front desk.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

It was an OK visit
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

1. Availability of Lunch at the hotel, which we could buy. 2. Make breakfast inclusive with the roo (Like most hotels do).

1. Cleanliness of and comfort in rooms, along with bathrooms. 2. Complementary Coffee in the morning (Although, the fruits we had last year was gone in this year)

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

If it's just to sleep it will do.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very unhappy with staff with the exception of the front desk. I found restaurant staff and cleaning staff was unprofessional to guest and to other staff members.

Cost

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Pleasent staff
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Dirty sheets upon arrival. For the money there should have been a continental breakfast and under sink vanity had hair. Hadnt been sweot or mopped in a while.

Bed was compfy.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

Location was very good.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

There were not enough power outlets close to the desk. Would also be nice to have a couple of UBS charging ports too.

Location was very good. Restaurant was excellent

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Poor Receptionist ruins an otherwise good Hotel stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I walked in the front door, the young lady who checked me in, just looked at me and said "Name!" in an abrupt manner. It was evident that she had an attitude and it wasn't a good one. I will say that the other young lady on duty, maybe a trainer, perked up and welcomed me by name and was very friendly. I don't specifically recall the name of the young lady who checked me in but she was a black lady and her name began with a "K". I would also point out that when I asked her to check my reservation and make sure I was getting my returns points, she acted like it was a big imposition and finally just told me that I was. However, when I checked by receipt later, I noticed that my account number was not listed like it normally is.

location was convenient, room was spacious, and service and...

room across hall had broken down door-scary. shuttle service was low budget, staff discouraged walking to downtown, but walk was not bad.

location was convenient, room was spacious, and service and common areas were generally good

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Great value, avoid bar at all cost. And don't expect a spotless room
    • King Suite

The room wasn't cleaned very well there was a gross who knows what it was stain on one of the chairs. The bar was one of the worst bars I have ever been to Peggy I believe was her name only served regulars. We had to wait for our drinks and then when we got them they were the wrong drink and we got charged 12 bucks a drink.. Conclusion is the bars is Way to expensive and the staff the bar cater to the regular guys who go there and they were very unprofessional. It seemed like they were winging it. I saw them get atleast 4 peoples dinner orders wrong. They just didn't know what they were doing and Peggy was by far the worst one. She ignored us and then when we order drinks from her she started to make them and then had someone who didn't know how to make our drinks make them. I would never go back to that bar.

Front desk was nice and hotel was newly renovated. Room was also really nice

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Not too bad
    • Room Selected at Check-In

The elevators were sketchy. One of them shook as it went up or down and the same elevator the next day as my friend and I got on and pressed the lobby button and the doors just repeatedly opened and closed. After it did that twice my friend and I got off and decided to wait for a different one (but not the middle one cause it was shut down, hmm).

Myself and a friend went to see a concert at xfinity hall. The hotel had a complimentary shuttle that dropped us off down the road of the venue. Very convinient. Still would stay somewhere closer next time. Walk back was tough.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

My car got broken into.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

My car got broken into. My Daughter's tablet got stolen and a handbag. I called the front desk manager and never a call back. I have a police report.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Enjoyed our short stay in the Hartford area.
    • King Leisure Room

We are use to a single shower versus a shower/bathtub combo.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We appreciated the dining recommendations and shuttle to a recommended restaurant.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Well Worth the stay
    • King Leisure Room

Breakfast was good however, potato tots were served with tongs; they should have been served with a large service spoon.

Shameka was very helpful in identifying an area to visit while at the front desk. Location was perfect.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Great Getaway yet close to the city!
    • Room Selected at Check-In

The hotel room didn't have a hair dryer. The floor also felt damp the entire weekend. It didn't smell musty or or like mildew so I don't know what was going on there. They are upgrading their elevators (huge +) but made it a bit inconvenient with a full hotel and everyone leaving at the same time.

The staff was very accommodating and super helpful. Were even apologetic when my group was given only a king room rather than a double. (Busy convention weekend so it was understandable). The location was great. Short walk to down city and everything was well cleaned. They were updating their elevators with more space and a smoother ride.

Clean, convenient and comfortable with courteous staff
    • King Leisure Room

Bath clogged and non- working vent in bathroom

Clean, convenient and comfortable with courteous staff

The rooms always clean
    • King Leisure Room

Can't get to check in even 20 mins, before the exact time. The breakfast bar closes too early .

The rooms always clean

Comfy bed.

Cleanliness, location

Comfy bed.

The room is very clean.
    • King Leisure Room

The room is very clean. The bed is super comfort!

I didn't have breakfast.
    • King Leisure Room

Communication between the shift workers. Something was left at front desk for me and the employees couldn't find it.

I didn't have breakfast.

Great stay

Great staff

Very kind and clean
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Customer service was very friendly

The air was blowing cold air all night.
    • King Leisure Room

The air was blowing cold air all night. The rugs had old food and stains on them.

My room was next to the elevator.
    • King Leisure Room

My room was next to the elevator.

Hood location and clean.

Hood location and clean.

Not aware of a deposit until u actually check in.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not aware of a deposit until u actually check in.the food was not great.

All staff were friendly and helpful.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Cost especially the taxes.

All staff were friendly and helpful. Food (dinner salad) was very good and reasonably priced.

Great management
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

An excellent manager you helped us even without a specific business center.

Nice facility.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nice facility. Comfortable space and friendly staff.

Remote didn't work, nor did the refrigerator

Remote didn't work, nor did the refrigerator

It was my third time being at that hotel with was good
    • King Leisure Room

My room wasn’t clean until the day I was leaving

The pool was great

Smell in the room

Smell in the room

Good value for downtown Hartford!
    • King Leisure Room

Soundproofing. I could hear everything from the other rooms and hall.

Hotel lobby, hotel restaurant, comfortable bed and spacious room

Stayed there for 1 night on our way to Maine.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Stayed there for 1 night on our way to Maine. Breakfast is fine, but for extra price, room was big and ok for 1 night

Easy check in, plenty of parking.
    • King Leisure Room

The room smelled musty, almost like a wet basement. There were a lot of housekeeping items left in the hallways.

Easy check in, plenty of parking.

• Room Selected at Check-In

This was my 1st time and last time staying in your facilities! Your staff was rude, it's like I the guest was an inconvenience.

The room smelled of wet carpet even though the carpet was...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room smelled of wet carpet even though the carpet was not wet... not sure what was going on there. Also there was no mini-fridge in the room.

• King Room with Roll in Shower - Disability Access

That I could have not stay longer 😅

The comfort that was provided allowed to feel in express that ease communication

It was ok the coffee maker did not work and the wallpaper...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was ok the coffee maker did not work and the wallpaper was falling off in the bathroom

Great stay!
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Great location, clean and comfortable!

It's a great hotel for the price, clean, terrific staff and was a good location for our trip.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was super friendly and helpful. The day staffers were very interested in talking about our trip. They made the stay enjoyable.

The hotel was nice, service not so good.
    • King Leisure Room

Staff were very grumpy, dissmisive, and rude.

It was easy to get to from highway. It was also very quiet.

Browse Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area traveller photo gallery