Reviews of Sheraton Austin Hotel at the Capitol 3 stars

701 East 11th Street, Austin, TX 78701, USA

#119 of 193 hotels in Austin

Austin TX review
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff weren't accomodating at all. Bad service when ordering drinks they dont come. Not kid friendly. Charge extra taxes and parking and dont tell you. Not worth the money.

Hotel had great pool and spa facilities. Good location o ly 10min walk to 6th street. Not too many restaurants near.

The location, the Yard, the music and the reception area are...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom shower head doesn't work well due to water flowing both upper one and lower one even I push the switch to for upper one only. The room carpet seems old. Other than these, the hotel is great!

The location, the Yard, the music and the reception area are all great!

I had two 3 year olds with me and couldn’t get in the...
    • Superior King Room

The room initially was so cold it made it uncomfortable to be in. Thermostat wasn’t doing much. I decided to stay another night and when I was getting my keys from the front desk the man checking me in asked how it was going. I told him about it being cold, he asked me where I would like it to be and when I got back later that day the room it was perfect. Wish I would have asked day 1.

I had two 3 year olds with me and couldn’t get in the parking garage because I had lost my key. The night manager saw the exhaustion and desperation on my face to not make me lug these kids in and out at 11pm and valeted my car for free. He even helped carry a tired little. Above and beyond and I was very appreciative.

All round great place to stay
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great place to stay , easy to find Dustin one of the bar staff is a very friendly helpful person ( one of the best on our 3 week holiday from Australia)

The worst experience I ever had
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn’t like that they had me wait 45 minutes to check in; keep in mind that i did travel with five children under six yr old and also the manager Xavier had a snobby attitude; the room 1118 was not clean I found a bottle of vodka and to top it off The bedspring was broken which cost the bed to sink in and I had to pay for the night I spent in their room.

The valet parking employees were very friendly and Ed in the front desk was nice

Appalled by the 3 x $40.
    • Superior King Room

Appalled by the 3 x $40.00 undeclared c. card charges - for two days - for “extras”. Tho there were no extras. And this after the agreed price is paid in full at booking. To be told this would be refunded in 3-5 business days is inadequate to justify this policy

The staff was very friendly.
    • Superior King Room

The staff was very friendly. Good location within walking distance to nightlife. Very relaxing pool area. My room had an excellent view of the capitol.

Overall nice hotel.
    • Superior King Room

The water in the shower wasn’t powerful enough.

The room was smaller than I expected but I slept well in the bed. I looked being at a higher floor level. Overall good stay.

The renovations are finally done and the hot is very clean...

LOUD people at all hours of the night. Loud neighbors at 3am and yelling in the hallways at 4. Security took care of it...mostly...after being called. This is the second time this has happened to me on a stay here.

The renovations are finally done and the hot is very clean and up to date.

Comfort and value - perhaps not the best location for single female travelers without a car.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location so-so unless you have a car - nothing beyond a gas station, the freeway and panhandlers really nearby.

Room was comfortable, lobby area and downstairs bar area open and inviting.

They charge me one night, no matter I paid in full 3 nights...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

They charge me one night, no matter I paid in full 3 nights at Booking.com. I'm collecting currently. One day room was't done at 7 pm when I call reception to report they was indifferent

Good but not up to standards for a Sheridan.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was too cold and then too hot. Furnace in room was not working properly. Had to call hotel staff twice. Room card was not programmed properly for parking access. We had to take the card in twice to get it working to get out of garage.

Beautiful hotel and staff was friendly.

Overall a good hotel.
    • Superior King Room

The hotel could use some updates and properly functioning elevators. Also, be cognizant of your surroundings if you are outside the hotel at nighttime.

Overall a good hotel. The Staff that I interacted with were extremely nice. While in the room, outside noise was minimal and you could not hear the people in the rooms next to you.

Would stay again for sure
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

A/c didn’t work. May have been fixed for us but we got in late & left early so we didn’t ask

Beautiful lobby & outdoor area. Great location. Quiet. Dog friendly. discount parking for early check out

Would recommend and stay again

Check in was delayed.

Complimentary breakfast and evening appetizers excellent. Staff very helpful and friendly. Extra perks for having to wait for our room to be ready.

The hotel was pricey and didn't compare to the Marriott River Center .
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The cleaning service never came to our room. There was diet or mold all around bathroom walls by floor. The wait for the elevator was always really long. It appeared only 1 worked because we only ever got the one.

The outdoor bar are was expansive and nice.

I Love the location and the pool.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

food and food choices and nothing close to walk to so it has to be outstanding at this hotel

I Love the location and the pool. The Yard is the best and a great place to have a party or wedding. th I also think the hotel has a great vibe but the food and food choices were mediocre at best.

Beautiful hotel. Awesome location. Lacks some comforts.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Cons: The "live music" provided nearby (maybe by the hotel itself?) made its way into my 8th-floor room until late Friday and Saturday night. - The walls are paper thin. I heard a couple's "intimate" moment through the wall around 3 A.M. Yes, they woke me up. - The hot water never really got very hot in the shower, only warmish. - The mattress on the bed was like a rock.

Pros: The location was perfect for my itinerary, just down the street from the capital. - The hotel was beautifully decorated, very modern and hip. - The lounge downstairs has an inventive menu for breakfast, but the staff pushed the buffet.

Marginal hotel for Sheraton
    • Superior King Room

Hotel didn't adjust for daylight savings time. Woke me up an hour early. Really sketchy with drug users and homeless around the hotel. Buffet wasn't that good. Eggs over cooked. I was tired and it was late when I asked for a key. The front desk wasn't apologetic when I had to come back down because the room key didn't work.

Good bar food. Clean rooms.

Not great.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Instead of king and a sofa was given a room with two doubles. Towels had make up stains, no washcloths. Just one package of coffee in the room. When rooms are booked through Booking you get one next to elevators, can hear them all night long.

Bar and pool looked nice.

We loved the pool and the location and convience of the...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

We did not like the rooms, they are out dated and too cramped with not enough amenities. Get rid of the wall paper and 70's carpet and round tables, they are pointless with no chairs. Price of parking is a little outrageous as well. A parking fee is acceptable but almost $40 US a day is too much!

We loved the pool and the location and convience of the hotel for what we were there for.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great location. Friendly staff. Very accommodating. Held our luggage for us on the last day after check out so we could go out in town before our flight.

Overall - very good!
    • Superior King Room

Bathroom vanity area way too small. Great shower, towels robe, hair dryer, room service.

Car undercarriage damaged by severe drop off from exit onto 11 th street.

I did not like that the platinum members and non-platinum...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I did not like that the platinum members and non-platinum were not distinguished on the booking site. Regular guest do not receive complimentary breakfast or free parking. There are many things that regular guest are opted out of.

Meeting my BFF for the UT football game.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Small room. For 2 doubble beds we did not have enough room to put our stuff .The entrance was fancy but the bedroom very bad in decoration and space. They did not clean our bedroom, I had to ask the front desk to tell the maid to clean . They went up and change the towels and took the trash only almost 6pm Saturday . The room view was for the street , very noisy and $38 per night to park in the hotel garage ?? Insane . Never go back and do not recommend Sheraton . For $204 per night I count stay in A Holyday inn that I stayed before and it was much better. Lesson learned. You pay for the location . Do not get impressive with the Fancy entrance and pics online.

The location.

Enjoyed the hotel, but I don't think we would stay again because of the loud music.
    • Superior King Room

There was blaring music from the bar downstairs until almost 2 am every night. It was terribly difficult to get to sleep.

Clean and the staff was wonderfully nice and helpful. Great location.

Overall it was great. We were comfortable in our room and the place was beautiful.
    • Superior King Room

The parking was an extra 30$ a day for self park or 38$ for vallet. We didn't know this so we rented a car. If we would have known this we would have chosen to use lyft or stayed at another hotel (that was a tiny bit more expensive) that offered parking. Either way would have been cheaper. We also had an issue with the parking card and had to keep getting a new one. We weren't told the proper way to use it until our last day there.

The staff was friendly. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub on location. They had a rad chill spot they called the back yard.

Overall great experience that met all expectations.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not sure if it was because of the sign we put on the door, but housekeeping never stopped by to take out trash or restock some toiletries and other items. The sign was to not change the sheets,

Fantastic location! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Amazing sleep on a comfy bed.

I loved the pool and the bar.

The customer service could have been better i traveled with a group of girls and we all pitched in for the room. the person that tended to us seemed a little frustrated and did not help with the long process. it took us about one hour to check in

I loved the pool and the bar.

Very friendly staff!
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very friendly staff! We had to wait 20-25 min in order for our brunch order to be placed...we received the whole meal (incl. drinks) for free because they felt so bad. Wonderful service in a beautiful hotel :-)

They have an awesome outdoor seating and activity area.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

They have an awesome outdoor seating and activity area. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Staff was accommodating and polite. Only a 5 minute uber ride to west 6th street and ubers arrive very quickly at this location.

Loved it... just get new mattresses!
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The mattress on the bed was VERY old. If we would have stayed another night we would have requested to move rooms. Both beds were sinking and the springs popped loudly just getting in and out of bed.

I loved the hotel in general. Very nice for the price. Pool, bar, staff excellent!

Good location, great rate, parking is horrible
    • Superior King Room

The parking garage was so tight and the spaces so cramped you could hardly maneuver through it, so paying $30 for that was a little painful!

Got a great rate for a nice property! Good location with live music in the bar.

Nice weekend getaway location
    • Superior King Room

Parking was kind of expensive - $30 a night. Not sure how other hotel charge for parking in Austin, but it was a bit too expensive for my taste.

Hotel was very clean and new, had really nice rooms, clean and pretty large. Loved the breakfast little bar in the lobby.

It was clean staff was great
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Fire alarm went off at 3am Thanks to a drunk visitor. I was on 16th floor! Went down to Lobby and there was a fight. This Hotel is very nice but too close to sixth street. The other guest we're drunk from their experience on sixth street and it's way too much excitement if your going for a relaxing weekend. Parking cost 60.00 if you park yourself and 80.00 for Valet.

It was clean staff was great

A truly wonderful experience
    • Superior King Room

The hotel was wonderful as were the staff. Michael in the Captains Room was so friendly and accommodating. He went above and beyond to make my stay a great experience.

all in all good deal for money - for 38.00 to valet park per day you would think tipping not suggest
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

handicap bathroom tub had no grids, toilet had no grab bar. 2am fire alarm went off - we were in 628 and went to end of hall as instructed by exit sign and door was locked to stairway - everyone in that wing had to turn around and go to the opposite exit - fortunately a false alarm but scary to think of consequences if real

complimentary breakfast was decent - staff everywhere friendly and helpful

The A.
    • Superior King Room

The bed had a spring broken or something, near the spot you'd lay your pillow, the mattress would sink down when you laid down

The A.C worked really well this time and the hallway way quiet

I didn't like the valet parking only.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like the valet parking only. If there was a self-parking garage, where guests could self park for free, it would have been easier on my pocket. If guests don't valet park, there is no parking near by.

Housekeeping knocked on our door at 9 a.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Housekeeping knocked on our door at 9 a.m ,left our door open and were already getting ready to start cleaning our room before they check if anyone was inside.

Fun but not a GREAT deal.

The parking on-site is $30/day for guests, which paired with the parking situation downtown is a bit like a cable company grinning and saying "Oh i am so sorry, maybe you should go talk to the non-existent competition." IF you look at it as a package however it is fairly reasonable. Just realize you are not saving money staying here. If you are doing stuff in Austin away from downtown do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. Also some jack-hole decided to pull the fire alarm at 2am but what are you gonna do?

Nice hotel and friendly staff. Actually wish the trip allowed us to lounge at the hotel more. Plenty of stuff to do in the area that is walking-ish distance. Restaurant had a pricey buffet which worked out for us b/c our kids ate free and our boys got my money's worth. Live music nightly while we were there and i saw a bunch of family's enjoying the pool.

Clean, always smelled fresh.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The convergence of drug addicts behind the property. Thought we were going to see a creek and saw a lot of addicts.

Clean, always smelled fresh. Refreshing from the smell of urine out side the property. Felt relaxing and secure.

Great value in downtown Austin
    • Superior King Room

Parking cost was high, like most downtown Austin hotels.

Bed and linens were great. Large, comfortable room with all of the expected amenities. And there was no additional charge for in-room Wi-Fi, contrary to what the website said. Staff was outstanding, and the property was very nice. Outstanding value for a downtown Austin hotel.

Great location with easy access for driving to and from...

Great location with easy access for driving to and from attractions outside of the city but also very convenient walking distance to 6th street. Facility was clean with lots of outdoor seating areas and the staff was friendly. Will stay again.

It is a 15 min walk to 6th st, so that was definitely cool.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Tap water had this "waxy" feeling to it. It felt as if soap was still on skin and hair. People from 2 different rooms had this same observation.

It is a 15 min walk to 6th st, so that was definitely cool. Also, they validated the parking of our entire party. Pretty nice gift from front desk.

Great location to walk to capitol and several restaurant/ bars
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Coffee in lobby not open often enough Sent me to restaurant for coffee, then the bartender said he couldn't make what I wanted , do front desk staff ended up making it

The front desk staff extremely helpful! Pool area very nice indoor/outdoor Beautiful restaurant with outdoor patio

Skip this place.
    • Superior King Room

The bathroom was awful, hard to turn in the shower and the water wasn't hot. And we had to pay $30 for parking!!

The hotel common areas are beautiful.

Pretty hotel but rooms and parking are not up to par.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking is $30 per night even if you are a guest which is ridiculous. They do not even offer queen beds so sharing a bed with someone is tight. When you are unhappy they do not do anything to remedy the situation accept shrug their shoulders.

The pool and grassy out door area is great. they have a bar that leads out onto a pretty patio with ample seating.

Service at the front desk was phenomenal.
    • Superior King Room

Service at the front desk was phenomenal. I mentioned it was my one year anniversary and they comped our parking. They also gave great recommendations on hot spots and where we could have a nice anniversary dinner.

Great service.
    • Superior King Room

Great service. Got an upgrade to preferred room and Sheraton Club w free evening snacks/beverages and breakfast the next am. Room was clean and easy to get to 6th street.

Not as expected
    • Superior King Room

Checking in was a hastle.$30 for parking after I just spent $200 for a room plus a $50 safety deposit.Too much cash for the experience. Room was warm most of the night despite having the thermostat on 70. Probably might not stay here again.

Nice view.

Great location, but the bed wasn't great.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was extremely uncomfortable for such an expensive hotel.

It was a great location, I was able to walk to a concert I was going to on the same street.

• Superior King Room

$30 per night is a bit pricy for overnight parking at the hotel, especially when the elevator does not go all the way up. The staircase going up to the last level of the parking garage was dirty and empty drink cans/discarded paper cups were everywhere.

Great location in downtown Austin.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

We asked for two double beds, but were provided with a King and a roll-away. That was not a big deal for us and they made it up to us with upgrades, but for some travelers it could be an issue.

We were provided with free internet, free parking, and an upgraded room. There was a view of the Capitol from our room.

Exceeded our expectations!
    • Club Double Room

The beds were super comfortable! The quaint bar atmosphere was a nice surprise, and the outdoor terrace seating was delightful. The entire staff was wonderful.

The Yard restaurant served an excellent breakfast.
    • Club Double Room

True temperature in our room was a little warm even with the thermostat set at a cool temperature.

The Yard restaurant served an excellent breakfast. Staff was super friendly and everything is very well maintained.

The staff was nice and accommodating to our needs.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I booked thru booming.com in advance for two rooms . I had a copy of my reservation. But they didn't have record of two rooms . So we had to wait a while for another room . They took care of our valet for booth cars and honored the same price I reserved online .

The staff was nice and accommodating to our needs. .

On it's way in a better direction, but needs more help...
    • Superior King Room

The parking garage, elevators and stairway would definitely benefit from some extra care and maintenance. There was a questionable amount of garbage and filth. The top floors (exposed parking) had broken concrete and crumbled building waste scattered about. We saw a night and day differnece in the attention to cleanliness of the common areas between the weekend and weekday crowds. The 3rd level smoking area and pool area were left to sit in disarray all evening from Saturday afternoon, until after noon on Sunday. I felt routine sweeps of the area by house/groundskeeping would remedy the unsightly mess for the customers paying weekend rates. The smoking area could also benefit from some sort of shade coverage, as it's surrounded by glass, and sits in direct sun from afternoon until sunset.

The 2nd(bar/restaurant) and 3rd(lobby area)floors looked to have been completely updated, and are very inviting and modern. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff throughout most of the complex were very nice and hospitable. Hallways and common areas were pumping a pleasant fragrance through the ventilation system. Food offerings, though simple, were very delightful.

12 pm check out .
    • Superior King Room

Paid $22 a night for Parking ( ridiculous to pay for parking at a hotel that you are paying to stay at !) after paying 195 for the room for one night ! The air condition didn't work correctly . The day we left we called the front asking for towels and we were told they were on the way 30 minutes later no towels . Called back and once again they said ok we are sending someone now . 2 hours later still no towels and time to leave .

12 pm check out . Lobby looked nice !

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Mostly Good, But With A Few Caveats
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I wish they'd explained that the room we'd be staying in was handicapped. Showering was difficult due to the very low height of the shower head. If you're taller than 5'8" you'll probably have to squat to wash your hair. Didn't see anything stating parking was $22/day for each car. We took 2 cars; so there was an additional $88 charge for 2 days.

Room service and the front desk were very quick.

Logan at the front desk was amazingly nice.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Parking lot is a little bit narrow and could use more parking spaces.

Logan at the front desk was amazingly nice. He was able to help me and had the right attitude. Kudos for him!!!

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Sadly Dissappointed
    • Club King Room

Customer Service; I had to wait almost 2 hours for my room & we booked with booking.com a month in advance. If you were not a member of Sheraton your reservation was knocked down the line. I had already charged my credit card & gave me a parking voucher for the parking lot but we still waited & waited until I had enough!! You pay so much money for the room & you expect it to be very spacious & elegant but it was old decor, we were very disappointed. Then we had to pay extra to receive breakfast & complimentary drinks in the club lounge. Complimentary drinks & finger foods was cancelled just terrible service. We will never stay there again we were very disappointed. They would not allow you to use luggage carts unless you paid valet to take your luggage. Just a tragic experience in AUSTIN TEXAS

The breakfast in the club lounge.

Look elsewhere if able your able to..
    • Superior King Room

Too overpriced, hotel is not updated as advertised. Overpriced parking. Entire hotel smells like cheap cologne.

It's close to 6th street and other amenities.

I'd rather be close to Riverside area, but we spent a very good time.
    • Club King Room

The area surrounding was not very good... A little too far from the riverside, which is the good part of city. Anyway, we were close to Stubbs, increadible BBQ!!!

hotel was great, with great facilities and great staff.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Hotel in convenient location for business. Windows need soundproofing to buffer outside sounds
    • Superior King Room

The 14th floor remodeled room did not have soundproof windows, and I could hear the conversations on the ground level patio and the sound from the music venue several blocks away were booming and I could not sleep without leaving on the tv. I was very surprised and dissapointed mostly on this very important item. There was no refrigerator installed in cabinet. I was too tired after a long day to deal with a maintenance person or moving to another room.

Bed was confortable and the rate for one night was comparable .

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Just ok.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

We booked a room for 4 people with two double beds and when we got here they only had rooms available with one king bed. We also paid extra for a good view so we were placed on the club level, you would think those rooms would come with a hair dryer or a mini fridge but it was all at extra cost. There were too many things that costed extra for a room that we paid $350 a night for.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Great place to stop over
    • Superior King Room

Not sure I would like to be walking around after midnight

Car park was good as I was traveling by car and the proximity of the "Red River District" made a good opertunity to walk to a place for a couple of drinks and good feed without the hassle of transport and after driving all day a walk is welcome

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Hotel room was good, hotel bar was crappy.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bar was very small and staff was horrible. Impossible to get a drink. There were two people behind the bar and one had his family sitting at the bar and the other's family came in to eat at a table. The were too busy visiting with them to wait on us.

The bed was very comfortable. Room was clean.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

really great stay
    • Superior King Room

For the price that was paid for one night, breakfast could have been included and not additional price

Loved the Starbucks coffee in room, and comfy beds

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Superior King Room

Finally I paid 30 dollars else for one night in the hotel and I find it on the website for 109. It was 139$ when I get it for 109$ at the website

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Acl stay
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

A bit further from 6th street than we thought, but still within walking distance.

We stayed there during acl. Reasonably priced. Snack bar in the lobby also very reasonably priced.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

- The hotel charged us way much more than what your webpage calculated (booking.com). - The hotel's website should not advertise room capacity for three when you cannot accomodate an extra bed in a double bed room.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Average
    • Superior King Room

It is expensive for a very average room. Staff are friendly enough, but the whole hotel just feels old, the room was dark, and they don't provide any tea or milk - but do provide black coffee.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Close to 6th and Rainey street
    • Superior King Room

The drain in the shower was clogged so the day we left we showered in a bath tub that was filling up

Nice view from the room and The staff was very nice and helpful to point out areas around us to visit on our 21st birthday weekend

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Convenient downtown location, clean, nicely decorated and comfortable hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Laundry facilities not available No refrigerator in room Unable to push luggage cart from lobby to room without staff Wifi sign-in confusing re paid or free

Onsite parking