Reviews of Safari Inn, a Coast Hotel 3 stars

1911 Olive Avenue, Burbank, CA 91506, USA

#9 of 19 hotels in Burbank

Overall was very satisfied with the Safari inn

The room and the beds were a little small for 4 people but as we were out most of the time this is not really an issue

Good location in a pleasant area. Excellent shuttle service to Universal studios.

Your Safari should start at the Tangerine
    • Comfort Single Room

No iron or safe. No wardrobe. Soap is in descenders. Not very many restaurants in area like there is at the Tangerine. There is no capuchino machine. There is very little room to back-up or drive in the parking. Lot.

Bed was good.

Hooray for the Safari Inn!
    • Room Selected at Check-In

in the circumstances nothing- they helped me out when i found myself without a room at 1 am!!!

24 hour front desk, they were able to accomodate me with a last minute check in, friendly staff, quiet rooms , comfy bed

When I first arrived to check in the man behind the desk...
    • Room Selected at Check-In

When I first arrived to check in the man behind the desk didn't greet me for a while, even after I said hello to him. When another employee came out from the back and asked if I was being helped he interjected that he was about to help me, to which I replied I wasn't being helped by anyone and would appreciate being checked in. They also tried to switch the room I booked by telling me I had booked two double beds instead of the king bed I wanted. It turned out there was construction happening on part of the hotel and they, I guess, didn't want to tell me.

Pleasant check in staff , quiet, comfy ,close to the...
    • Comfort Single Room

Room seemed expensive for what and where it was (Im guessing it's milking the Universal studio angle) , decor is a little dated (the 80's called while I was there and asked for it to be returned), 2 of the regular TV channels weren't working on my TV, the fridge froze my milk overnight and I found access to the carpark was a little tricky in a large vehicle because the official entry has only an 8ft clearance ( I had to go 'in' via the exit where there were no height restrictions)

Pleasant check in staff , quiet, comfy ,close to the Tallyrand diner, supermarket, pharmacy, and shipping store.

Safari Inn is the Best motel we have ever stayed in, and we stayed in many motels across US
    • Comfort Single Room

There is nothing we didn't like. It was the best place we have ever stayed in.

Safari Inn is perfectly preserved mid century modern style motel with beautiful neon sign and great True Romance film history. The rooms are refurbished, they look stylish, very decent and are perfectly clean. You won't find a cleaner place anywhere. You have a fridge in your room and a big TV with good selection of movie channels. The outdoor swimming pool is heated and lightened at night. You can swim there any time. The neighbourhood is very friendly, with donuts, burgers, stores, liquer store, starbucks, anything you need. It takes about 20 minutes to Hollywood and about 15 minutes to Griffith Observatory. The Disney Studios are just around the corner. You would definitely not regret your stay.

Fantastic staff, reasonable rooms

The walls are quite thin so you can hear noise from outside and the other rooms.

The staff were all fantastic and really helpful. The free shuttle to and from universal and warner brothers was excellent. The drivers were all friendly and informative.

I'm glad I stayed here; the location was convenient for business and I'm a big True Romance fan
    • Comfort Single Room

I didn't care for the fixtures in the restroom. Water took a while to heat up (yes, it's cold at the moment)

The staff. The SAFARI INN sign is iconic, so that was cool.

Very good stay and I would return again.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Replace bath towels, they were older and thin-no fluff left in them.

Room was just redone and was lovely. Towels were old and thin, and the bathroom needed a little work- tub mat was torn and stained and the tub enclosure was broken and patched together. But it was clean, and most importantly for us, we felt very safe! Oh and love the soap and shampoo mounted on the wall. Great way to help with the plastic problem!

Shame no breakfast included

Great location. Free shuttle bus to various places. Heated pool was amazing and rooms great too...far more superior than other 3 star hotels. Plus true romance was filmed here ❤

Motel style accommodation, that exceeded expectation, and will stay again. Good base. Recommended.

Little bit of road noise. Suspect room AC will have to be working hard during Summer. Probably true of LA in general though.

Well maintained Motel style accommodation. Helpful staff, and really handy free bookable shuttle bus around Burbank Area including major attractions, shopping centres and Burbank Airport. Little bit of noise from the road, but nothing serious. Comfortable, clean. Associated with hotel next door, so have room service options from its Bistro. Nearby convenience stores for essentials. Great base for Burbank activities. Free parking. Decent range of free TV/Satellite channels. Free Wifi (slow but works) or paid higher speed.

In spite of the challenges with booking.com, we had an enjoyable stay.

Booking.com failed to provide information regarding our reservation! There was no record even though I had a confirmation number. The parking was difficult. I needed to print my boarding pass and was unable because I could not email it to the front desk. I would stay again but, deal directly with the property and not book online.

I loved Melanie at the front desk. She and her staff went over and above in helping us and upgraded us due to a reservation mix-up. Everyone was wonderful and the service great.

Ok if you need a place to sleep and bathe.

There is no tram, and the front desk did not know of other transportation options to Universal Studios other than their shuttle which has limited travel time, and must be scheduled ahead of time. We ended up using Lyft to get to Hollywood Blvd; and used our own vehicle to get to Universal Studios since we had prepaid valet parking. But it would have been nice if the front desk was a bit more knowledgeable of additional transportation options.

It is an average hotel in an average location. Clean enough to sleep and shower. It is about 2.5 Miles from Universal Studios and about 5 miles from Hollywood Blvd.

Close to Universal Studios, quiet and clean. Highly recommended.
    • Comfort Single Room

The location is great, especially if you are planning to go to Universal Studios in Hollywood. It was easy to find from the freeway. There are a couple restaurants near by as well as a gas station. The neighborhood is clean and fairly quiet. The staff was friendly. The room was really clean and spacious.

Safari Inn has room for improvement and I think they take advantage of the fact that they are in Bur
    • Comfort Single Room

I spent a total of 6 nights at the hotel, nov 18-21 and 23,24 I received an email giving me 10% discount but because I didnt book through booking.com, I was told it could not be honored I already felt the price of the room was quite high but not being able to take advantage of the discount? I will re-thiink any future stays at Safari My family is very close to the hotel so I would be reserving at least twice a year

Hotel was near my family so I was able to walk back and forth some of the time and that was really handy Basically the facility is good but dated

Full disclosure of fees was a problem. This hotel is not worth the money.
    • Comfort Single Room

There was no prior disclosure of a $300.00 pet deposit upon checking in as well as a $100.00 deposit against incidentals. we left for home at 5:30 am the next morning and I insisted our room be checked for "pet damage" in order to have the hold for $400.00 released upon our checkout. Then, they hit me with a $25.00 pet fee, also previously undisclosed for the privilege of having here with us. Had these fees been disclosed, either on Booking.com or when I called to verify they would accept my miniature poodle as guest I would have known and could have booked elsewhere. The room was clean but shabby, the TV and mini fridge were not working. We had to have maintenance come in and fix them both.

Had a great day with old friends that stayed in room next to ours...

The staff was very rude...trying to help too many people at one time..very unorganized they charged us a extra 200 for deposit..even when I paid cash for the room...I know it is refunded when you check out...that is a helva lot of money to hold on your credit card.....

easy access to the motel

Great stay in LA thank you to Safari Inn.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Explain that the shuttle is limited and by reservation only.

We loved how clean the room was. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Also the vicinity of the hotel to everything was great. We especially liked the Olive's Bistro and bar next door. They had a bartender Dennis who made our night. He knew everyone in the bar and helped us with our food and drink order. Great night at the Safari Inn!!

Comfortable stay, in a good value, no frills motel..

Only negative was the fact that on registration I was asked what floor we wanted, clearly indicating there were rooms available on both floors, when I said we had no preference, trying to be accommodating, we were given a room on the first floor, to later discover that ALL the ground floor rooms had been recently upgraded.. Felt a little let down by this..

Conveniently located for our visit to both Universal and Warner Bros Studios... The hotel/motel runs a free shuttle bus service to both these attractions, a real bonus for anyone wanting to have a meal/drink in City Walk after visiting the Park. Rooms were comfortable, clean and adequately appointed. Staff are friendly and helpful, overall great value for money for a visit to the Burbank area.. would happily stay again

Really liked the expandable mirror at the sink.

I felt like I was renting an apartment with the security deposit requirement and all the unnecessary paperwork I had to sign just to stay three nights. Especially since I had to pay for the room at the time of booking before I had even set foot on the premises. I have never stayed at a hotel that would put a $250 hold on my credit card prior to me even entering the hotel room. They already had my lodging paid in full a couple months before my arrival. If there had been any additional charges or problems, they had my card on file. We come to Burbank quite often and will not be choosing this hotel to stay at.

Really liked the expandable mirror at the sink.

Great value for money , staff very friendly and helpful,...

Great value for money , staff very friendly and helpful, hotel really clean and the location great if going to universal and they also have a courtesy bus to it.

It was great! Really close to Universal Studios which is where we went.

The parking lot on at the hotel was really tight. There is also parking available behind the hotel for guests.

The Hollywood history is great. It's a very comfortable hotel. I would stay here again!

Great family bonding experience.

Parking was a bit tight, but it was safe with no problems.

The pool was wonderful and relaxing. Loved the upper deck for view and for lounging about. The convince of placement was wonderful, especially if having the Universal Studios experience.

It was much better when the bearded wonders left!

The group that gathered outside our door for two nights kept us from sleeping. They were just talking, but there were a lot of them, and they were loud, and it went on until 2 in the morning. Why they didn't move over to the sun deck, I do not know. And why management didn't ask them to do so is a mystery. The second night, someone evidently called the cops on the noise. We heard the siren as they came into the parking lot, and it was quiet after that. But truly, management should have taken care of it on the 1st night.

Comfortable bed, lots of room - more than we needed, but it was all they had.

Our new Family home from home. . .

having to leave after only 8 days. . . ahhhhh.

Location, up in Burbank near Beverley Hills, all the studios, the Observatory, Hollywood Bowl etc. Downtown LA / beach (at Santa Monica) only 30 minutes away. Excellent Shuttle around Burbank - to and from Metro. Best of all ? = the staff, we were treated like family, nothing was too much trouble - for which - many thanks.

Good place to stay if you don't expect much

room was supposed to be double queen but seemed like full mattresses. the parking lot was very small and I was glad I rented a Kia Soll!!

Location to where we were going for friends birthday party and close to John Wayne Airport. Price was cheaper than all the others I compared only stayed 2 nights and one day. Very clean, courteous helpful staff, comfortable bed, good air conditioning. Good location and short drive to Burbank restaurants

Decent hotel, but bring your own pillows!
    • Comfort Single Room

The pillows were horrible. I expressed my concern to management and they didn't do a thing to make it right.

The pool was nice, the room was about as expected, and the location was convenient.

I can't recall staying somewhere with a more friendly staff at the front desk!!
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Easy access to places I wanted to get to and excellent food at the Olive Bistro just across the street. Great atmosphere in the Bistro bar due to Dennis and Luke who were the tenders there.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Fun place in a nice neighborhood
    • Comfort Single Room

Staff and shuttle service really great. Located in a nice, safe neighborhood, easy to walk to town center but also amenities close by. Also fairly easy to access by public transport (bus and metro). Definitely would recommend it.

Great, affordable place for Universal Studios vacation
    • Room Selected at Check-In

It would be nice if the beds could be upgraded from doubles to queens. Even just a few more inches would have provided my husband and myself a better night's sleep. Maybe have one queen and one double? Kids would be ok sharing a double but I found it difficult. Also, if you're sensitive to noise, staying on the top floor would probably be better. We had elephants staying above us and their stomping at night and early in the morning was rough.

All of the people working the front desk were friendly and helpful the whole time we were there. Literally all of them. We saw them both mornings and evenings as we took the shuttle to the park. The shuttle driver, Luis, was also fantastic. Friendly and knowledgeable and a safe driver. The location is perfect for what we needed. It felt safe walking around with my family. Downtown Burbank was really close so that was handy too.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Nice, Unpretentious, Comfortable stay

Very comfortable,clean and friendly. Easy parking, dated but well maintained facilities (loved the bottle opener on the wall), nice pool (even had an elevated sun deck). I found the place completely chill and unpretentious. Best hotel/motel experience I've had in a while.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

This was not the best stay we have had here.

How well our room was cleaned, made up and the details taken care of daily. (TP, notepad, pen tissues, etc) Attention to detail was missing.

Everything was well cooked and presented well. Lourdes is an excellent server, she really made us feel welcome and special.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

Good but not great.

We registered 4 guests but only had linens for 3. Beds were not near as luxurious as pictures showed.

Actual bedroom was less than what the pictures portrayed- wasn't bad but not as good as expected.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Fantastic place
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Was a little chilly at night. An extra comforter would have been good.then again I could have asked for one.

Fantastic location, lots of parking, loads of places to eat within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

A comfy feel of home away from home
    • Comfort Single Room

Bed a little hard, but this hotel has the personal feel of a well run and maintained place that "boomers" or millennial s can appreciate.

The location is great.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

The perfect place to stopover in LA
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Loved the vintage building & neon sign. The room was large, comfortable & nicely decorated with a safari theme. Helpful staff & fabulous restaurant within a short walk open from breakfast to dinner.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Great stay!

No complaints!

It was pleasant, unpretentious and they had my 2 rooms next door to each just as requested. I know that seems small but I travel a fair bit and cant even recount how many times request went completely unread. It was clean, the staff was friendly and efficient and last but not least...they have a great sign on the road.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Highly recomended
    • One-Bedroom Suite

A bit pricy, depending on seasonal conditions, and how booked up they are.

Very good staff and service. I like this hotel, because its not a corporate stamped out chain. Its not fancy, but very retro. It is small and intimate, and the location is ideal for getting around the heart of Burbank. They go out of their way to help you and are expediant about it. Any time I have asked, they have generously allowed me to check out as late as 1:00pm instead of 12:00 pm. Most of the other hotels make you check out by 11:am. They have rooms with kitchens available, and they were very quick to supply me with extra towels, pots or pans, dish soap that I needed for a "breakfast meeting" they also helped with luggage.! Its a cheezy throw back to the fiftys but a great place over all, considering as well, that unfortunately LA is not good at saving our history. Thank you, Safari Inn!!!

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

Thanks, Safari Inn!
    • One-Bedroom Suite

I was with my niece and her 3 children for a Universal Studios weekend. The kitchen was a blessing for breakfasts, holding take home left overs and late night snacks. One bathroom? LOL worked out ok because our 1 bedroom suite had 2 sink areas for make up for 4 females. Surprisingly, the sofa bed was comfortable! The room was very clean, the office was gracious with extra linens for a blow up mattress and our little mini vacation was wonderful! As for location, you feel like you're in a small community neighborhood. CVS, McDonalds within walking distance, anything else within easy drive. Will definitely stay again when in LA for business or shopping because it is easy access to the areas I utilize.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Good Value
    • Comfort Single Room

The rooms were like a budget hotel with a few modern decorations that looked good in the pictures. The parking lot is pretty tight so bring your smaller car.

The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The room was good size and the pullout was not too bad. It was a very easy and short drive to Universal Studios.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

it was clean and centrally located in Burbank.
    • Comfort Single Room

The bed had a very firm mattress and was not comfortable to sleep on. We could hear and feel the vibration of the guests in the room above us as they walked around in their room.

it was clean and centrally located in Burbank.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Perfect location, easy access to everything we needed.

The only slightly minor thing was that the in-room coffee maker didn't work very well. We had to monkey with it and run the coffee through twice.

Everything was excellent. I'll stay there again. Access to everything was so easy.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Very close to universal studios
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Funny musty smell to the room. A little tired is definitely due for renovation

Good location for universal studios. Staff very helpful. We had a mix up with our booking, reception staff quickly resolved the issue. Pool was nice, perfect temperature.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Clean and Comfortable Stay!

Would have liked a real coffee mug in the room since we had the suite with kitchen,stove,etc.

Very nice shower with two shower heads, one rain head and one normal head. Nice touch having the robes for after you shower. The shutter service to Universal Studios was super convenient.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

Vintage Motel in a Great Location
    • Comfort Single Room

Well maintained vintage motel in a great location, and competitively priced. Pleasant and helpful staff. Well lit on-sight parking. Available shuttle service.

Very plesent

No microwave

It was very quit

Super friendly staff.

Super friendly staff.

Will stay here in my next visit as well.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

A very well located property with the facility of free drop & pick up from the hotel to any location within Burbank.

Good location.

Good location. Liked the neighborhood. Lots of places to eat and things to do. Shuttle to Universal was great!

Perfect place to crash after a long flight from Australia. Close to handy shops and services
    • Comfort Single Room

Customer service was excellent!

Clean and comfortable room with a friendly check in staff.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Clean and comfortable room with a friendly check in staff. Free parking and good location in a safe neighborhood.

Blissful!
    • Comfort Single Room

Great room, really comfy, frontdesk were amazing

Great place to stay in Burbank
    • Comfort Single Room

There's nothing I didn't like, and will definitely stay here again

Clean tidy rooms, comfortable bed, quiet, friendly staff and easy check in

The beds comfy, Olives Bistro made great breakfasts, and the...

The beds comfy, Olives Bistro made great breakfasts, and the location can't be beat. Staying in a piece of history was icing on the cake.

Was pleasant

Offer bottle water

Bed super comfy and room clean, excellent location.

Decent location,like the Hollywood history of the place.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Shuttle service to Universal Studios only operates twice a day😞Got reservations for shuttle service,ended up taking my car.

Kind staff,good parking,good location clean rooms,but not your money’s worth

No closet in the room

Nice clean room ,but small ,no microwave

Great value. Close to theme park. Easy access.

The retro feeling.

Loved the location not the room and no internet, really!
    • Comfort Single Room

Could hear the next door people. Expensive for a poor quality lumpy bed. No grab bars in tub shower.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Dingy rug.
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Dingy rug. Broken blind. no closet, only rack............

Family vacation at Universal Studios. Inn was close by, economical, & great services avail.

Found a dirty sock under the bench.

The shuttle service, the restaurant next door, the office staff.

Very enjoyable.

The staff were great.

Handy bus to universal studios

Handy bus to universal studios

I like that it was clean and quiet.
    • Comfort Single Room

I like that it was clean and quiet. And the staff were nice.

Miserable

Front desk bad. Housekeeping terrible. Parking outrageous

Good location for a family visit, sightseeing, lots of restuarant choices, overall I would stay here

parking a little tight, towels need an upgrade

Comfy beds, clean room, friendly staff, good value for the price.

Good but expensive, deposit was problematic

They didn't tell us about a $250 deposit before we booked with them and told us at the last minute

Great bed

Great bed

Wonderful

Food delivered from motel annabelle

Personnel and shuttle

Nice and clean ....would stay again !

Noisy air conditioner and hard bed

Location was easy to get too. Walking distance to food and drug store. Rooms were clean and very nice.

Fantastic

Was so reasonable and wasn't expecting much. It was absolutely fantastic and so clean. Would highly reccommed.

Perfect if you want to visit warner bros and univers studio

Noisy and old a/c

Good room size and comfy bed

Perfect place to get around all the sites of LA

Comfortable beds, friendly staff, clean rooms

Pretty nice and relaxing!

Wish we had a microwave

Everything was good.

They did not make up our room on the one day.

Everything was good. We had room service from the restaurant .