Reviews of San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter 4 stars

660 K Street, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#109 of 226 hotels in San Diego

4.9

• King or Double Room with City View

A certain employee was rude as soon as we got there when I asked him to repeat the price of the vallet parking and regular parking across the street he rudely told me "I just went over that with you". I paid vallet parking and when I got out of my vehicle no one helped me with my 3 bags of luggage. The people at the front desk we're friendly. Later at night my husband was stopped by one of vallet employees returning back to the hotel and told that the bar and the elevator was closed. He proceeded to use the elevator to return to our room and the employee followed him in the elevator and told him the bar was closed. After he showed the employee our key to our room he let him go up to our room. The employee never asked him once if he was staying in the hotel or if he had a key before following him to the elevator and I believe it was very unprofessional. Also the room was hot and the air conditioning only went down to a fixed temperature.

The hotel was very clean and spacious. I loved the room and the lounge upstairs!

• King or Double Room with City View

- Staff are not helpful at all, at my arrival one of the staff ignored to help me carrying my luggage during my check in and the same while checking out. - Receptionist charged me with $9.95 for the internet while I should have it for free as a guest. When I speak to him to remove it, he refused until I request the supervisor. - No refrigerator no microwave at the room. - I’ve asked for adaptor and they said we don’t provide adaptor. - No sleepers at the room. - Furniture are too old. - GYM is not up to level.

Location Only.

• King or Double Room with City View

Security left a note (looked like a 5 yr old wrote it on a cheap note pad), saying that we couldn't hang anything on the door. As it looked fake and really unprofessional, we didn't fo anything about it at 1 in the morning. At 1:30am security knocked on our door and made us take it down. It could have been handled much better and more respectfully, as we did not know that we were violating any rules.

Front desk staff was amazing - very helpful and accommodating, thank you!

• King or Double Room with City View

Not having a refrigerator was an inconvenience, I suppose they want you to go to their restaurants for breakfast.

Friendly, professional staff from the moment I got out of the cab. The room was just ok in size for the two of us and a little dated. But overall comfortable. I appreciate the extra security having to use your room key to activate the elevator.

• King or Double Room with Water View

The first room we stayed in had a clogged tub which was remedied immediately.

The property was in close proximity to several restaurants, it was also very clean and quiet.

• King or Double Room with City View

Pillow were too soft, a/c fan blew too hard and could not lessen the amount of airflow. Would have liked breakfast to be included in the price.

Friendly staff gave us good suggestions of where to eat.

• King or Double Room with City View

Overpriced and under delivered. Staff were not really attentive, and for the price we were expecting excellent customer service. The room was lovely, just another hotel room and for the price we were expecting more. You can't watch TV from the bed either as the TV is too low sitting in the cabinet. And although the property offers free wifi to guests, it charges extra for people who book through booking.com It cost an extra $20 for internet access.

• King or Double Room with City View

First offf, I wasn’t told that I was being charged an extra $100. I was under the impression that all I was being charged was what was on the final quote from booking. Second the room was smaller than what I expected, the veiw was really hard to look out from since the windows were so high. We noticed one of the water bottles in the room had been opened and refilled with tap water. It was pretty small for it being a king suite.

• King or Double Room with City View

The property did not give us the free breakfast which was included when I booked with the 3rd party (booking.com)

I like the hotel, nice, clean, friendly staff.

• King or Double Room with City View

I reserved a room for 3 and was told free breakfast was included. Well, they only gave us 2 free breakfasts per day, so I had an unexpected, large bill everyday for the third breakfast. Really expensive only to be cheated.

Great location in the Gas Lamp Quarter very close to the convention center and Padres stadium.

• King or Double Room with City View

The beds were uncomfortably soft and often made with a short bottom sheet that would come out especially if there were two in the bed! No fitted pad or bottom sheet. There could have been a microwave, a Kuerig coffee pot, or a small Those are very nice room add ons.

The free Starbucks coffee in the morning in the lobby was wonderful, although not very warm after the first hour that it was there. And, the complimentary parking for AAA members was a treat!

• King or Double Room with City View

Was not told the calls would be extra and was charged extra $50 for something else that I was not told. Seems like the amount of the hotel is false but they charge you extra without telling you. Very disappointed with the charge

VERY COMFORTABLE BEDS AND PILLOWS! Rooftop bar was a nice experience and the location was great!

• King or Double Room with City View

Breakfast could have been a bit better, always running out of bowls for cereal, scrambled eggs need work

Bed very comfortable, front desk staff very good even under pressure

• King or Double Room with City View

It would have been great to have a fridge in the room. The hotel was pretty full and we were woken up after midnight by some guests who were very loud and also listened to loud music as if they are somewhere in the forest, but not in the hotel.

Staff was pretty friendly and when I complained about noisy guests in the morning, they apologized and advised us next time to dial 0 to reach front desk and they have a guard who could address this issue. I wish I knew it before...:)

• King or Double Room with City View

Expensive, not really luxury. Left ironing board out & so did cleaning staff...blow dryer did not work.

Beds were comfortable, but would prefer 2 queen size option

• King or Double Room with City View

Construction in my floor during my stay caused some unwanted noise. Good view to the AC units on the hotel's roof... No swimming pool

Good location at the gaslamp quarter

• King or Double Room with City View - Concierge Level

Ridiculous that we have to PAY $9.95 for WIFI after paying $350/day for rooms! Plus there is NO fresh water in the lobby and Coffee is only served for a couple hrs in the lobby. Lounge staff is nice and has a good view ... but is very cramped during bfast time! Its small... Gym was OK... but could use some more Yoga mats. Nice to have fruits available in gym!! Parking staff were very nice and got the car in less than 5 min. Location is superb ... right next to Petco park, less than 5 min from convention center.

• Room with Concierge Level Access

Property was extremely dated. I felt I was revisiting the 90's, not a good time for hotels. I had reserved a concierge floor room at a higher price, but when I checked in that was not available. I am a Marriott's rewards member and felt if I had booked through Marriott the room would have been better. When I checked in I told the staff I was picky. After 5 minutes in the hotel room having found a substantially better hotel at the same price, I told them I was leaving and not to charge my card. I am generally very loyal to Marriott brands but this room and hotel were extremely disappointing in price, value and upgrades and I am not sure I will maintain my loyalty to Marriott going forward.

• King or Double Room with City View - Concierge Level

Over priced premium room that was directly under the Rave they have on the roof. Pounding electronic music and bass blasted until 1 am. Management doesn't care about the customers sleep when they are making money on the booze and cover charge for the 22nd floor Rave. Advised night manager and got a sarcastic "sorry". Doubt I will stay there again due to the lack of interest in the issue.

• King or Double Room with City View

Eggs were over cooked 2 mornings in a row. At check in we were told renovation was being done on certain floors (can't remember which ones,) but assured us our floor was not one, but as we got to the 10th floor it in deed was all prepped for paint or something, and there were workers on the floor the whole time. Our view out the window was of the A/C units, pipes etc. Very disappointing especially for the price. I could have stayed at Hyatt Manchester for only $30/night more and its a much more luxury hotel. And more value for money. This hotel also did not have a pool. We had to call down for the wi-fi password to log-in and the wi-fi did not work half the time. They really want you to pay for it even though as advertised Marriott rewards members should have free wi-fi.

Location to Petco Park was 1 of 2 best things about this hotel. Roof top bar had amazing view of Petco Park as well.

• King or Double Room with City View

Parking was hard due to graduations going on at the stadium next door. But no biggie

So close to all the bars, walking distance. Bar on the rooftop is awesome! Great great view. Comfortable beds.

• King or Double Room with Water View

I didn't realize when I booked at this specific there was no pool. Had I noticed I would have booked at a different Marriott. Lighting in bathroom very dull.

Bar on top floor was spectacular! Room service was great.

• King or Double Room with City View

Location was the best part of staying here. The cost to valet park at the hotel was $45.for 24hrs. We parked at ACE parking structure for $15. for 24 hrs. Rooms are extremely noisy!!! We could hear the people in the room next to us sneeze, amoung other things!!! However, the room was clean. TV was at level of bed so if you watched it laying idown, you needed to move your feet!!! The view we had from our room, was of the parking structure we parked our car in. We would only stay here again if we were desperate!!!

• King or Double Room with City View

the pillows were awful and flat.

parking was too expensive for a one night stay. $45 a night with unlimited ins and outs. We checked into the hotel room at 9pm and still had to pay the $45 even though we only planned to park it until our check out at 8am the next morning.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Misleading booking information on booking.com. Booking.com showed one of the rooms booked would have a king bed and a double bed. When we arrived on the property they said the hotel only had king rooms and rooms with two doubles, nothing like what was described in booking.com. Additionally, i paid $100 extra when booking to get the King/Double room. Anyway, the first night we ended up getting just a king room and a room with two doubles. The next night they were able to change the king room to a room with two doubles on the same floor as the other room with two doubles.

Awesome views from hotel. Double rooms were comfortable and spacious.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

NA

We liked the roof top bar and the staff working throughout the hotel were very helpful. We asked for a breakfast recommendation and the place they recommend was just what we were looking for. The bell hop took our luggage to and from the room and the valet gave us each a bottle of water and helped us with directions to our next destination. We also enjoyed the fresh flowers in the lobby. Our stay was excellent.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• King or Double Room with City View

Our room wasn't ready on time we checked in at 3 and had to wait an hour to finally go into our room.

I loved the rooms, bed so comfortable and everything is just a walk away!! Awesome experience

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• King or Double Room with City View

No sleep due to rude people next door. Called downstairs twice security came to there door but still banging and yelling from partying continued till 4am.

Location is convenient

• King or Double Room with City View

No parking available at hotel, only valet which is a whopping $45. Self parking available at public garages around hotel. No free wifi.

Awesome location, located walking distance to convention center (daughters competition).

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• King or Double Room with City View

The staff who checked me in were fantastic, very attentive and accommodating. However, in the morning - the toilet was clogged, when the person came he simply flushed the toilet causing it to overflow onto floor. Then, he says, "I'll have to get my tools." He returned tried a plunger and then says, "I have to call a plumber." My wife went downstairs to speak with the manager, who was not around and we were told that she would call us and we never heard from the manager. We couldn't use the bathroom to brush our teeth or shower. And so we left.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

Everything was great just besides the location/height of the t.v. It definitely needs to be much higher. Laying on the couch impossible to watch t.v.

Bed, sheets & pillows great.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• King or Double Room with Water View

We couldn't go up to the bar for my birthday an that's one reason why we stayed there . Sad about that my husband had a special night planned.

Just everything

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

I wish there was free wi-fi.

I am so glad I purchased the breakfast, it was wonderful. The food was delicious and the service excellent. The location was perfect.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

Staff was horrible and in San Diego the competition is doing is so much better for less. Stay away from this dump. Cockroaches in the room, bathroom doesn't work. Horrible experience. I'm telling all my friends to leave a horrible review for this dump of an establishment.

NOTHING. STAY AWAY!!!

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

The bartenders on the roof poured terrible drinks, and the hotel was overpriced for what I got. I requested a king bed room, and when I arrived I was told no King room was available. I wouldn't have booked this hotel if I knew that. The bed was too soft as well.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• King or Double Room with Water View

Everything apart from the Location was awful, will be looking for a refund. Booked for 2 x rooms of 4 people. Got given 2 x rooms of 2 people. 4 people had to sleep on the floor and was told that rooms of 4 was a preference. Pathetic. Also, $10 a day for Wi-fi after paying $150 each to sleep on the floor.

Location for nightlife was good.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Junior Suite - Concierge Level

Some of the front desk staff was rude. If early check is never going to happen don't tell me I can come in and check. Also for the price the hotel is a little out dated as far as decor.

The location was excellent. Right next to petco park tons of restaurants and activities in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• King Suite - Concierge Level

Getting the room we booked as advertised by the website. Concierge King Suite 1 1/2 baths, dining area, door on bedroom, all non-existant according to the staff

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

We did not realize that the property had No Pool. It would have been nice if we would have been offered the use at another Marriott.

The location was great seeing that we were attending the Padres baseball game

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

The hotel was very nice, staff was wonderful and location was amazing. We were literally across the street from Petco Park and within walking distance to restaurants and the water.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• King or Double Room with Water View

- waterpipes are really bad. They make very loud noises. It will wake you up! - it feels as if there are no walls. You hear all the surrounding rooms. As soon as someone in your floor wakes up you will wake up too. -We booked a waterview room and arrived in the evening. While checking in the receptionist told me we get a city view room and I said no we booked water view, she asked to see my reservation which I showed her on my phone then she said no that is according to availability and I said no I paid extra and chose a room with a view. The lady's reply was very rude and she said that is not their problem, that is our problem with booking and we should take it up with booking. I was shocked and pissed off at the way she talked to me but after 8 hours of driving, too tired to argue. Next morning the receptionist was much nicer and she gave us a new room. - paying extra for wifi is a joke!

Location is in the middle of the lively Gaslamp quarter

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

check in was brutal.. don't know what the problem was but we stood in line for 30 minutes to get checked in.. I'd suggest having a staff member available to show guests how to use the mobile check in app, next time the check in desk gets jammed up like that..

great location, staff was friendly, Altitude was a cool spot..

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

I asked for a city view and got a Parking lot. We were suppose to check in at 4 and they didn't let us get to the room until after 5:30. Then the next morning we were running late, because we had a long night at the ER, I asked to check out later (by an hour) and they wanted to charge me 50 bucks, after complaing because we didn't get to our room by 4 they did accommodate us !

I loved that it was at the end of the gas lamp so there wasn't much back tracking. Altitude was amazing ! And the staff was great aside from the female working the front desk

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

I booked a room with 4 breakfasts, when I was checking in reception gave me only 2 vouchers, and when I asked why only 2, he replied: when booking made through booking.com, doesn't matter for how many persons you buy breakfast, you get only 2! So, my next question was: does it mean that booking.com is giving wrong information and charging Extra money for nothing? He replied: Yes! Then I called to booking.com representative he put me on hold. So, be careful when you book a room in Marriott, even thought it is 4 stars hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• King or Double Room with City View

Wanted to enjoy the Altitude Bar, but way too crowded and not geared for folks our age. (Early 60's). I don't think a guest in the Hotel should pay $42 for Valet parking.

Beautifully decorated, steps from Petco Park, Starbucks coffee in room with actual coffee mugs, not styrofoam, loved the breathtaking views of San Diego.

• King or Double Room with City View

Location was perfect and loved the roof top view

altitude bar

close to ball park

Parking is expensive.

• King or Double Room with City View

It was a great expierence. The roof bar was great. Great room service as well very friendly

• King or Double Room with City View

no clear signs on where to get ice maker

room was room and clean with good view

• King or Double Room with City View

The whole experience was excellent!

• King or Double Room with City View

We booked a two full beds room and we got a king size bed. My son had to sleep on the floor since there was four of us.

Excellent bed and pillows :)

• King or Double Room with Water View

No complaints. Everything was fine.

Great location, friendly and professional staff.

• King or Double Room with City View

Excellent location. Staff was very curious and accommodating

• King or Double Room with City View

The food was excellent. Excellent service. Fantastic safe location. Extremely walkable. Love the candy at check in desk!

• King or Double Room with City View

Location , in the heart of the gas lamp quarters , clean and good facilities .

• King or Double Room with City View - Concierge Level

The bed was extra comfy. The location was exceptional.

• King or Double Room with City View

Our view was of the parking lot and the amount of time it took for room service.

The beds were very comfortable.

Little pricey

• King or Double Room with City View

Was no free Wifi in the room

• King or Double Room with City View

The staff was courteous and attentive

• King or Double Room with City View

When the Room next door turned on their shower it was very noisy.

• King or Double Room with City View

Some receptionist should be friendlier

• King or Double Room with City View

Having to get friends from lobby in order for them to get upstairs to my room

Comfort of bed

• King or Double Room with City View

Room was small for three people and they had only set up for two examples towel coffee only for two

Bed wasn’t overly comfortable

Location overlooking Petco Park

• King or Double Room with City View

Facilities and their staff are very good

Parking fees are too high, I stay one night on the hotel and parking fee was almost 50% of total payment

• King or Double Room with City View

Patio was with great view room too

• King or Double Room with City View

My husband got bitten all over his lower legs, he's wondering if there was a dog or bed bugs in the room.

Gym, breakfast , service

• King or Double Room with City View

Rooms were kind of small. And staff was rude! I felt uncomfortable!

I loved the location! Right where the nightlife was at!!

• King or Double Room with City View

Close to all restaurants.

• King or Double Room with City View

Had to pay for wifi Terrible roof top bar Expensive parking

Location!!

• King or Double Room with Water View

Too many 'club goers' hanging out in lobby.

View of stadium is awesome. Hotel is nice.

Locatoon