Reviews of Ocean Surf Inn & Suites 3 stars

#6 of 19 hotels in Huntington Beach

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

Friendly staff
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Second time my boyfriend and I have stayed here and both times were great. We liked everything about this place. The location, the staff, room. Very welcoming and quick and easy to check in.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

AWESOME!
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

My only complaint would be the parking. They try to fit 3 stalls in the garage where only 2 can fit in reality. You can fit 3 but nobody can open the door.

Good atmosphere, write next to the beach! Had a cool observation deck on the balcony.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Amazing

Nothing! PERFECT STAY.

Ana was amazing!! She made us feel so special and made sure we were comfortable! Ana told us all about the area where to go eat and what we could do while we were staying there! I cant wait to return there soon!

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Excellent location, second to none in immediate area.
    • Economy Single Room

The room seemed damp, the carpet, the bed - it was rather odd. I think a dehumidifier would do the trick. Other than that it was fine.

Excellent location, second to none in immediate area. The beach is quiet and clean, literally 60 seconds from your room, Roof terrace is great and the staff seemed nice enough.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

great location for beach access and convenient location.
    • Economy Single Room

trying to locate the desk manager who was doubling as helping the maids

comfy bed, nice flatscreen tv, beach equipment is available to use,like chairs and boogie boards. roof top deck is very useful.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

the room was very clean and the staff was very nice
    • King Room with Park View

the options on the room online are different i thought i was getting a bigger room than what i got but still a nice room

the room was very clean and the staff was very nice

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

nice place to overnight on the way down the coast
    • Standard Room with King Bed

The location, is a bit of a turn-off. The price is a bit high, but there's no way around it in high season in the area.

The room was very large, comfy and quiet, sitting on the far side of the building, away from the highway. There was a bit of a view of the sea, even if you are in the Seal Beach area and you can definitely see the oil rigs from the shore. in 1 minute you are on the sand and can enjoy long walks and the sunset. There are a few places to grab a bite in the vicinity, nothing fancy but good enough. The staff was super nice.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Nice view, close to beach, friendly staff.
    • King Room with Park View

They no longer serve breakfast, & I miss the Farmers Market across the street.

The location, balconies facing the beach, nice staff, especially front desk employees, very friendly & helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Great place for a family stay !
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Anna the manager was absolutely beyond words! She helped us in so many ways it is hard to count. She made a family wedding stay absolutely memorable. We can’t say enough about how great the customer service was ! Thank you for making this weekend so much better ! The roof top deck a definite asset!

Not worth the money
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Honestly, I don’t know how this hotel got its current rating of 8.4. Except for the renovated bathroom, the facilities are very old. Don’t get me wrong, some hotels get only more charming as they become older, but this one is just shabby. There were stains everywhere: on carpets, on curtains and even towels! The furniture is worn out. There was some garbage on the floor in the common area when we were checking in at 5pm and it was still there when we were checking out at 11am next day. Their vending machines only take 1-dollar bills and coins, no credit cards or even 5-dollar bills. You feel like you’re at a motel, not at a 2-star hotel.

The bathroom was renovated and very clean. Beach access.

Great hotel
    • Economy Single Room

Ana was amazing she made my stay there so comfortable any questions I had she was on it...truly a rockstar....great customer care and service..definitely comming back....staff was so nice also. ..😁👌

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Was not happy with my stay.
    • Economy Double Room

Musty, musty rooms. Hard time sleeping 1st night. Stuffy. A/C didn't cool as well as it should have. Moved to another room. Still musty. A/C no better. Was actually noisier. (Window right on PCH). No curtains on that window for darkness. Was told there was only one more room we could move to, but we didn't because it was just as bad. The worst was when I then found MOLD in the shower!!! Actually bought bleach cleaner and sprayed it myself. Would not recommend hotel. Would not stay there again.

Staff were nice. You could walk to the beach. There were also other places you could walk to. Very close to Huntington Beach AND Seal Beach.

Great location and close to Huntington's facilities.
    • Economy Single Room

The room didn't look like the pictures, and we thought we were getting a balcony and a tub in it, but our room was different. There also wasn't any parking in the garage.

The beach was amazing and not crowded at all.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

One time only.
    • Premier Room with Spa Bath and Sea View- Adults Only

Hotel is old and in desperate need of a remodel. The rooms do not even look beachy. No bedspread or mattress skirt. Dingy. Balcony was sketchy.

The hot tub.

The first night of the trip on point.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

We ask to book another night because we like it so much however that was not a great idea we where given the worst room they must of had left. All lights in our walk-way were burned out. Old hard pizza cheese left in microwave so we could not use toilets and to were not replenished. Beds must of been older because they were very uncomfortable and no drapes in window which made it very hard to sleep with the street lights beaming in the room.

The first night of the trip on point. Enjoyed the lobby staff

It was conveniently located between Huntington and Long...
    • Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

The mattress was way too soft. When I first sat on the edge of the bed, I felt as though I was about to hit the floor.

It was conveniently located between Huntington and Long Beach.

We won't be returning to this one. It was inexpensive, and I can see why.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

The room was rather disappointing. After seeing it, my wife we insisted we go back down and ask for a better room. The guy said they had one, but to me, it seemed about the same. The window looked out at a blank wall. The shower had a lot of black mold. The shower head flew off during my shower, but I was able to reattach it. The towels looked like they bought them at a cheap second hand store. Parking was a hassle. They provide parking in the ground level but the parking spots seemed to have Mini Coopers and Smart Cars in mind. I had no choice but to park our SUV in two spaces, which is not really fair to other guests. Several others did the same.

It's close to Sunset Beach and Huntington Beach. Bike riding is very easy and fun there.

Proximity to the beach
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms are smelling of mound/humidity. We asked to change our one but the second was smelling too. The inn is cheap but the price is even a bit too high for what it offers.

Proximity to the beach Staff was nice and helpful

Ocean surf in and suites on the beach
    • Standard Room with King Bed

After 2 days use the shower broke, after being unable to fix it we were promptly moved to another room. Furniture is a bit worn but nothing too bad. You can hear traffic constantly.

The proximity to the beach is unbelievable. Also lots of lovely places to eat within walking distance. Gorgeous roof terrace. Ohanas and captain Jack's restaurants both deserve a mention.

This place was great!
    • Standard Room with King Bed

There was nothing we didn't like.

The location cannot be beat, it was so close to the beach. The staff was wonderful, the price was great, they had boogie boards available and stuff to make sand castles. We'll definitely be back and have recommended it to friends and family!

Comfortable, clean and pleasant. Great middle of the road stopping point.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

*There are simply too many people on the coast to hear or see the water anymore. I don't know if I am going through culture shock or what, but everything seems noisier, hotter and more crowded.

We stayed her for a summer beach trip with two very small children. It was just a night in between beaches. The hotel itself is great. Smells of saltwater and hotel soap. The staff is kind as can be. The rooms clean. We had a window view of a hallway but climbed the stairs to the roof in the morning to peek at the ocean. Relevant details: *Veggie Grill delivers (use Eat24.com) *Starbucks is 0.1 mile away *Liquor store in walking distance *Doors lock at 10pm but you have a key *There are books and board games for the kids in the hallway (huge plus) *Parking is in the building but we were blocked out by two big trucks. There was a meteor shower so everyone was on PCH, or maybe that is every Saturday night. Traffic is miserable but what else is new.

Great place for the beach.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Only drawback for me is that I'm older. I would like to be by more restaurants and would like a path along the beach.

The beach was easily accessed. Perfect location for spending the day at the beach. They had a shower to get the sand off before you went up to your room. Also I was told that they wash the comforters for each guest. Really nice to know the comforter is clean.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

thanks god we only stayed one night.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

finding the place is a little challenging. staff needs to be more friendlier. Pillow cases need to be changed, found so much hair on the cases. no information provided from the staff of what the hotel include/exclude.

clean room. comfortable mattress. close to the beach.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

The location is amazing!
    • Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

The property needs updating but that really doesn’t bother us. It was very clean and that’s what really matters.

The location is amazing! Be sure to ask for a room with an ocean view! A one minute walk to the beach.

This was amazing.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

They didn’t offer breakfasts.

This was amazing. Only a few steps from the beach. Beds were very comfortable and the staff was super friendly! Very close to restaurants. Amazing views!!!

I will probably not stay here again.
    • Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Breakfast was not available as advertised. The bath towels were old and worn, and I have never been to a hotel that had anything other than white towels. The towels were green. The maid service missed spots in the tub, and we had to keep asking for additional soap bars, and clean towels. I have stayed here several times in the past 4-5 years and I will not be returning. The room rate is worth it for the location IF they would put some effort into the hotel, some updating, newer bedding, and definitely NEW bath towels. Overall, I felt that the hotel was overpriced.

The location and room view were outstanding !!!!

Friendly staff.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking was not the best and homeless person using restroom in parking area. Big vehicles using 2 stalls to park and beach goers parking in garage when not staying at hotel. Rusty and ripped sand chair. Table in room ready to collapse.

Friendly staff. Close to beach. Relatively clean. Located near restaurants and coffee places. Quiet area. Hotel lay out different. Not just rows of rooms but alcoves and patios.

Love it!
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Was my first time in Huntington Beach. I loved the location, steps from the beach, clean, comfortable and a very good service. the staff was friendly. a good experience for the cost. If you are looking for a simple hotel that makes it easy to spend good time on the beach and the town, this is a good option!

Everything about our stay was perfect.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

That we had to go Ana made us feel at home.

Everything about our stay was perfect. Ana the host made sure we had everything we needed and more she is absolutely amazing!!!

I love this hotel because it is just far enough away to feel...

Not much!

I love this hotel because it is just far enough away to feel like a mini vacation but close enough that it makes for an easy get away. It is affordable and steps from the beach, who could ask for more? It’s not fancy but it is clean and basic and with a room with a balcony, you can see and hear the waves. I want to keep this spot a little secret!

Very good despite above
    • Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

Safe not working in room. We were there for 10 days and it wasn't looked at dispite telling the front desk. Also even though they said free wifi, it didn't work. Had to go to Starbucks nearby

Great deal.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

If I had to pick something, the view. Looking at a wall.

Location. Staff was awesome! It's so much more personal than a hotel chain. Seems to be alot of returning guests.

Just okay
    • Standard Room with King Bed

The hotel had paper thin walls and is need of a major face lift. Tub didn’t drain well and unfortunately some people were partying. Wish hotel manager would’ve put them in check. Not sure if they are in the process of trying to fix it up or what. Carpet was gross and hole in ceiling. The floor strips weren’t completed. Looks like they have painted to try and cover up issues. Also lamps were totally dusty.

I liked the fact they had boogie boards, beach chairs, Beach equipment, and board games.

Nice little hotel --- Just steps away from the sand.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff very friendly. The hotel was within walking distance to the beach----it was very close---- we did not have to cross any major street. Took us literally 2 minutes from hotel to the spot where we set up our things on sand. They had some items sitting in lobby for guests to borrow if they needed them ( beach chairs, body or boogie boards, towels ). They also had a shelf of games you could borrow to use in your room. The room was nice and clean ---- it was a little musty smelling, but not anything terrible. It's not a fancy inn, but for the location and price---- it was great.

Fantastic
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking spots in garage are pretty small

Anna and the girls are amazing! They were friendly, polite and super helpful. They keep the place clean and recommended some great places to eat. Ocean Surf has the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on in a hotel!! The location is fantastic...the beach is literally across the parking lot and wasn't crowded. And there's at least 5 restaurants within walking distance. Definitely recommend this place and will be staying here again!!

Manager was completely unhelpful and neglected to return my...
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Manager was completely unhelpful and neglected to return my passport to me after copying it. Of the six hotels I stayed at in Southern California, this was the only one where this occurred .

It was Awesome!!! 😊👍
    • Standard Room with King Bed

The lady running it was awesome and really accomadating. The view was gorgeous with the fresh ocean breeze flooding in through our window. This spot is amazing!!!

Location, location, location!
    • Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

The TV was hard to work. A pool maybe would be an nice addition.

The hotel was in a great location. The rooms were nicely decorated. The rooftop deck was great- nice place to relax and get some sun! Staff was very friendly!

Great beach view
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

It was a little dated but other than that it was great.

We loved that it was so close to the beach and we could see it from the balcony of our room . Anna the manager, and the staff were so friendly and accommodating. We will definitely return and refer .

This place is the perfect beach hotel
    • King Room with Park View

The hotel was super clean, staff was lovely. The location amazing & great value. There are games & books & a ton of spare beach toys, chairs & towels so you don't need to pack that stuff. We can't wait to stay there again.

A quiet moment away from busy life schedule
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Could use some upgrades but still good value for the money

The place is few minuets from the beach The staff is great, thank you Anna for your help during the check in and out The pier is 12 minuets away with plenty of restaurants

A great place to stay and relax!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with Park View

Great properly. Rooms were very large and so comfortable and clean. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Great views and walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

We had a great time! Will stay here again!
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

The bed was very comfortable however all the pillows were lumpy. The room smelled musty, and felt really humid...even for being right off the beach.

The location is perfect for a beach stay. We found an excellent little Italian restaurant a short walk down the street. Inloved the fun beachy feel to the whole place.

Will bring my family back to Sunset Beach and this great little hotel for years to come!
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Has some cheaper rooms that are needing some remodeling but spend a little more money and they have some very nice rooms that will leave you wanting to come back

Easy parking ,great location , good food within walking distance and the beach is perfect

Loved every bit of it!

Honestly, it was just what we wanted.

The bed was amazing! The manager was super friendly, the atmosphere in general was perfect! Will DEFINITELY stay there again!

Facility is run down and has strong mildew smell. Mold viable on the walls. Pretty gross overall.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Room had strong mildew smell and mold was visible on the walls. Towels and floor are stained. Pretty dilapidated and gross overall.

Staff were friendly.

Good location, clean and comfortable.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Pillows were thick and no extra blanket for the bed. When we arrived the front desk person had run out to get dinner so we had to wait to check in. The place is fine just a little worn around the edges.

It was very clean and the staff was friendly. The beach is very close and we found a great fish restaurant about a block away. Very quiet at night.

Pleasant so close to the beach great restaurants in area . Free beverages in lobby all the time !
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Decor in our room needs to be lighter airy for the theme of the hotel

Cleaning staff very personable. FREE parking and and Wifi. Roof top terraces were great

Good free parking close to the hotel.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

The room was damp and smelled bad. Really old facilities eg hair dryer. Too old bed, really worn out and soft. The fan was too loud and smelled urine. The only window was a window to the corridor where people could see in. Dirty sheets and hair on clean towels.

Good free parking close to the hotel. Games and stuff to borrow. Good wi-fi. Free coffe.

4.0
    Sketchy
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

The room smelled terrible. It smelled damp and musty. The So-called window faced out into the hallway. Weird! The furnishings should be replaced. The toilet became clogged and was unusable for a while.

The bed was comfortable.

The location was perfect for what we wanted to do.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

The in-room safe could not be used because a previous customer locked it open. The staff couldn't get it fixed & was waiting for a locksmith that never came. It wasn't a big deal, but would have come in handy.

The location was perfect for what we wanted to do. The staff was very friendly and there is off street parking.

Crashed out hard after a local concert.. could use a plumber to install a new shower handle
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Shower handle instantly fell off when I turned on the shower and took me 10 minutes to fanagle a way to put the handle on and try to get at least warmer then cold water...

Bed was comfy

Great little hotel, would stay here again - highly recommended
    • Standard Room with King Bed

This was such a cute hotel. The staff were lovely and was really helpful. Rooms were really nice and very big. There was coffee and cakes in reception which was a nice touch and the added bonus of free parking was great. There was a beautiful beach next to the hotel but the main stretch of Huntington was about a 5 min drive but there was a selection of restaurants close by which you could walk to.

Proximetry to beach.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Bed sloped off to the side, they didn’t clean the room or take out trash and didn’t give us towels. Property is worn down looking but still pricey with no amenities.

Proximetry to beach.

One of the very best places we have stayed and we are looking forward to enjoying this place again.
    • Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

These are all very minor things. In #308, holes needed to be filled where towel holder bracket did not use these holes. The balcony guard rail was of the plastic type. Had cracks in the center post. Could not sit on the Toilet seat lid, was paper thin.

Great Ocean breeze into the room. Easy parking and check-in. Elevator was an added plus.

Room comfortable and clean, road noise an issue
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Our room was facing the main road and the traffic was very noisy. We were also disturbed by the people in the room upstairs coming in late at night. Would recommend staying in a top floor room away from road to get a good nights sleep

Room comfortable and clean, very comfy bed and near the beach

Overpriced
    • Standard Room with King Bed

It's very noisy, our room had no view and overall the building needs some serious maintenance. The road is very busy and noisy.

It's near the beach and some restaurants

Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful!
    • Standard Room with King Bed

The fridge in the room made a lot of noise, we actually had to turn it off. Rooms are a little outdated but still ok, especially for the price we paid.

Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful! Located a few steps away from the beach.

Great option to escape the busy Los Angeles
    • Standard Room with King Bed

-The lady at the desk was friendly and helpful -Free coffee and tea -Beach access and lots of parking -Lots of dinning options and a huge supermarket within 5 minutes driving distance -Old but well maintained rooms -Clean which is amazing considering the fact that everyone brings in sand from the beach

We checked out early.
    • Deluxe King Room with Ocean View

The outside looks like a run down 1 star hotel. The beds were uncomfortable and the rollaway bed was so bad my child could not sleep on it. The room with a view is a joke. You can see the ocean if you look between several multiple story homes. Interior corridors are really "outside" and the in need of updating/repair.

The only good thing about this hotel is its location to the beach. There was a great Italian restaurant within a 2 minute walk of the hotel.

The staff was so helpful and friendly!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Nothing. We were very happy.

The staff was so helpful and friendly! The view and room was beautiful!! Sunset pizza delivered to us and i give them 10 stars as well!!! We were minutes away from beaches and shopping and will definetly be going back!!

More than I would pay for adequacy again.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Window that looked into an indoor hallway. No view of the beach. Soaps that didn’t lather. Oddly placed bathroom door that opened right into the sink, making it impossible to use the sink and mirror without having the door closed. Bare minimum room for $30 more per night than a much nicer room in Pasadena the night before.

Very easy check in and friendly staff.

Staff was very nice, but rooms were just ok
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

The heater was broken as well as the hot water in our room. It was very cold when we stayed so we were disappointed neither worked, even after a staff member tried fixing the water

The staff was very friendly

Would have been great if there was hot water.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

There was no hot water in the morning at 6am on a weekday! The heater/AC unit and the refrigerator were both very loud.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. The staff was very friendly. Parking was easy.

Great budget hotel on Sunset Beach.
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

Very noisy family with kids one of the nights we were there. Beach had a fair amount of trash (obviously not the hotel's fault).

Extra nice staff. A few hundred yards from the beach. Rooms were great for the price.

We loved our stay at Ocean Surf Inn and we loved being so close to the ocean!
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Did not like our room being right next to laundry room. The walls are thin, and we heard washer and dryer a couple times:(

Loved that the Beach was just across the parking lot!

Awesome service, good view of the ocean and a quaint little place to spend a few days on the beach.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

There wasn't anything I didn't like. We pretty much were only there to sleep.

We stayed in an ocean view room and it did not dissapoint. I lived that I could enoy my morning coffee with the sound of crashing waves in the background. The beds were clean and comfortable, the fridge was more than adequate and the shower was hot with plenty of pressure. Ana was awesome and allowed us to check in early. Overall, this is one of the better mom and pop surf hotels I have stayed at. Also, the area was amazing! It is a local beach and was not busy at all. There is plenty of amazing food around the area within walking distance. I totally recommend Pocket Burger for the best burger of your life. Huntington beach is only a 10 minute drive down PCH and newport is only anoth 15 minutes from there.

I will stay again if I am in the area!
    • Standard Room with Two Queen Beds

The parking is a little tight. The shower takes a few minutes to warm up.

The rooms are very basic but the beds, pillows, and TV's were superb - which is just what we were looking for. I liked the easy access to the beach and close proximity to restaurants, bars, and shopping. Anna at the front desk is very pleasant and helpful.

We are looking forward to staying there again soon.
    • Standard Room with King Bed

We only stayed one night. We should have stayed at this hotel all 4 nights.

Ana was so helpful, professional and friendly. She set the hotel apart from others. Every room in every hotel has a bed and a microwave, but only this hotel has Ana. She made the difference.

Balcony available but had to walk quite a distance for wife...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

Dirty room furniture and linens

Balcony available but had to walk quite a distance for wife to have a cigarette. Would have appreciated a bit more heads up regarding this.

The location was pretty good, an easy walk to beach and to...
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Very noisy from traffic. Neighboring room was very noisy till we called at 11:20 pm and then again at after midnight and finally calmed down about one am. Not a good response from the staff. Bed was in need of replacement. Cleaning staff was not consistent with replacing needed things, like washcloths, soap, glasses etc.

The location was pretty good, an easy walk to beach and to breakfast cafe.

Enjoyable stay near the beach

Exactly as expected :)

Great stay near the beach! A real surfer town hotel. No frills at a great price, suited our needs for a weekend. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

NOT GOOD
    • King Room with Park View

They had horrible service. Our room was not ready they didn’t even clean it and we arrived at 7:50PM. The lady at the front desk did not want to clean the room. She called the cleaner in front of us and yelled at her. The whole experience was weird

Nice visit to the beach
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Ocean View

There is NO continental breakfast anymore and is still advertised on booking sites. We enjoyed this during prior visits. The quick pkged danish, piece of fruit, yogurt or cereal was a little perk to get out the door. Yes, we can bring in ourselves, but was just a nice touch. Coffee/Tea is offered in the lobby.

Location to beach and activities.

Clean, Close to beach....But that's it.... and that just may be Good
    • Standard Room with King Bed

Despite low usage, only 3 other car in parking area(max), we were put next to the elevator on the 3rd floor. Yes we got a low rate but we only accepted the rate that was advertised, don't think we should be "punished" for that. Also, hot water to the room took a very long time, 5+ minutes of water running for water to get hot.

Rooms were clean and adequate.