Reviews of Sandpiper Lodge - Santa Barbara 3 stars

3525 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105, USA

#45 of 71 hotels in Santa Barbara

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel has met all my expectations.

Hotel is in a great location very near Santa Barbara public market and the beach is just an 8 minute drive from the hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The choice for the breakfast was not much. Coffee was not good and no hot chocolate

The location is not too far form the water front and all restaurants so that's nice. The room was clean and confortable. The employees were nice to us too

The room smelled of chlorine when I arrived (despite being at the opposite end of the building from the pool). This subsided after the first day, so I assume it's not normally the case. Also there was a fairly large gap under the room door, making it feel not quite as private as I would have liked.

WiFi wasnt working well in the room

We got a free update. Room was really nice. The pool is also great and the have a nice breakfast! Great service and very friendly People?!

• Two-Bedroom Unit

The rooms are a bit outdated.

We stayed in the family room which was the perfect size for us. The room was ok nothing special, cleanliness ok, was expecting a bit more from all the great reviews. The staff were great and gave good recommendations!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

When I check-in, they asked me my driver's license number and address, then I received a call saying they don't have my info, so I went through all these again.

Very good experience, great location that is close to everything like restaurants and grocery stores. The staffs are nice.

It was a little noisy due to the location of the room which was in the ground floor in front of the elevator. Breakfast was a little poor (there was no fruits or eggs, too much carbo).

The room was large and bed was comfortable.

Excellent value, comfortable and spacious. As I didn’t have a car, while location was great with bars and restaurants in the local area, but a little far from beaches and downtown. However, there are excellent transport connections so, overall a great hotel, with excellent staff.

• Two-Bedroom Unit

Not enough parking, uncomfortable beds and was never told when and where breakfast was to occur at check in. Front desk didn't seem very eager to help or inform.

Close to downtown, markets, freeway etc...

I usually ask for an upstairs room, and almost always get it--as I did this time. However, I was given a room waaay at the back of the property, and being handicapped (two knee replacements and 3 spinal fusions), I found it very difficult to walk all the way to the back of the lot and back to the front for the elevator each time I needed to go downstairs ( about 1/2 mile). When I asked about getting a room closer to the front of the property, they told me my room was the last upstairs room. I checked in at 3:30 p.m. and would have thought they'd still have something available.

For once, I got a really good deal on the price. Usually, this time of year (May), we see prices going up in Santa Barbara. I must have made my reservations just _before_ this time!

Front desk clerks were overly meticulous and married to the absolute letter of the rules. We were not allowed to check in even 15 minutes early even though the hotel was empty. The description of my vehicle (dark grey new Subaru Forester) was not enough to generate a dashboard parking permit. The clerk absolutely insisted that I go out and walk some distance to get the actual license plate number of my vehicle. Carpet by sink in our room was soaking wet. The large microwave was placed in front of the TV.

Location and large rooms.

The WiFi connection never stayed connected more than a minute or two. Used up a lot of my data.

Clean room. Comfy bed. Ample parking. Didn't eat but coffee was very good. Lots of noise up stairs both mornings while staff was setting up for breakfast before 6am.

Slightly weird layout if the bedroom with open plan sink area but not an inconvenience, furniture a little bit dated but comfortable, check in took a while but think staff was in training

Great pool and jacuzzi, ample parking, spacious rooms, fantastic breakfast, friendly staff

The bed in room 223 was a little too soft. The second night the next door neighbors in 222 were very loud until I talked to them at midnight.

Excellent service. All employees were kind and responsive.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The mattress bed casings are super annoying. Anytime you move in the bed, you wake up because they are so loud Sounds like you are lying on plastic covers. The air conditioner absolutely dusting. We would turn it on, and the bed next to it would end up covered in black dust bunnies. Ick.

Location. And breakfast

The room wasn't fancy but has every convenience that a small apartment would have. The bed was very comfortable. The building is set up motel-style, but very quite at night. Very helpful staff. Thank you Sand Piper.

The shower water was not warm. Not even warm, let alone hot. Shower water should be hot, folks.

Everything was very clean, the room, the beds, the whole place, and appealingly designed. Elevators were placed exactly right. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the booking was very easy. Large rooms, good privacy. Very quiet. I slept great, which for me is wonderful as I often have trouble sleeping. Price was excellent for the area.

Basic stay near downtown Santa Barbara. The breakfast was simple, nothing special. Parking lot was small but we were able to find parking near our room. The bed was comfortable, air conditioning worked fine.

Though I was told that Sandpiper would not charge my card until my stay and after I paid with cash I found out that Sandpiper had placed a hold on the amount of the room on my card FOR A WEEK, after having been paid in full and in cash! I will never stay with them again and will never recommend them because of this.

The above

I was kept awake until 12:48 when I finally called front desk. They were courtesy and took care of problem Next day I was put on hold twice to be connected to a friends room We’d to learn to multi task I waited 15 minutes then hung up

Very clean, spacious room for a motel. Elevator was very helpful. Nice breakfast. Quiet. Convenient location. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Excellent value for Santa Barbara!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Very thin walls, room given next to elevator and loud outside noises of people exiting hotel starting at 7:30am. Pipes made high pitched sound throughout night. Essentially a motel but with more expensive nightly rates.

Breakfast was good but the same (pre-made cheese omelettes) every day. We were here 3 days and it was pretty boring by the last morning.

The motel is on a main drag of Santa Barbara but quiet. It’s close to “regular stores” and short drive to downtown tourist/specialty district. We hike and this is a good “base camp” location.

Toilet is awful and uncomfortable. Way too much noise and ppl talking late at night around the room. Doors slamming...too much chaos in the parking lot at night. Totally ridiculous that management allows all that yelling and screaming.

Bed was comfortable. Daily cleaning was thorough. Good coffee in the room.

The parking was horrible. The staff made no effort to try to help with parking when people were taking up 2 spots. When they cleaned our room the remote was missing. The staff is very slow in the front desk. The WiFi was also terrible they shouldn’t even bother advertising WiFi.

The breakfast was good and until 10am. The location is good since it is on upper street.

The mattress needs improvement. The water proof mattress cover was noisy.

The service was excellent. The manager took care of an issue and compensated us appropriately.

Since the bed was in a separate room than the heater, the bedroom was cooler. The blankets were thin making the night cold and the TV was in the living room so you can’t watch it in bed.

The room was clean.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Heating and DVD player did not work properly. The scent of the cleaning products is very overwhelming, but at least you knew it had been cleaned. Wish there was a hot tub for all visitors.

Cute place, close to ocean with great staff/service. I liked the fresh baked cookies available at the front desk, free popcorn and DVD movies available (wish our DVD player worked though, maybe next time).

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I thought I saw the comment that all room has kitchenette , but didn’t. Prefer a regular coffee maker instead of keurig coffee maker. Too bad it was raining so couldn’t use a jacuzzi. If it had patio cover over a jacuzzi, we definitely use it.

Comfortable bed, nice and walk in shower, good shower head , roomy, frig

• Two-Bedroom Unit

Having neighbors in a hotel is always a gamble. I just happened to have 2 (male & female) who liked to talk very loud until after midnight each night. It could have been that the voices carried more than usual because there was a pass-through door from inside my room to theirs instead of the insulated walls between other rooms.

Breakfast was as promised. Room was nice, walls were thin... Property was central to events and places in Santa Barbara.

I could see daylight at the edge the entire length of the door to my room which caused me to stuff it with towels and the heat to overrun needlessly. No fruit at breakfast.

Cute, clean and reasonably quiet room with everything I needed and yummy little cheese omelettes at breakfast. Very convenient location.

the attendant tried to charge me $50 deposit upon arrival. They had already charged my card which they weren't supposed to because I was going to pay cash. So I didn't have enough money on my credit card for $50 deposit which I did not think was going to be charged by what they had put out on booking.com. There is nothing in their policy on their website anywhere that says a $50 deposit is required. I tried to give him cash as a deposit and he wouldn't take it. I tried to give him cash as my deposit if they needed apposite so bad, but he wouldn't take it. I would have had room on my card had they not charge me preemptively, which is not what they were supposed to do. I was going to pay cash, and I would have had the $50 available had they not charge me prematurely. The attendant was very rude even though I was patient and kind. After an hour of booking.com trying to make him understand that I should be able to stay there after I had paid, and or allow me at least to pay the deposit in cash, he wouldn't do it. Absolutely one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. I would never stay there again. It's too bad because it was a decent room and a decent place to stay. A little overpriced for what it was but it is Santa Barbara. He finally let me stay without the deposit. The whole experience was so ridiculous and demoralizing. He shouldn't even have a job but especially in customer service

Decent breakfast, nice Decor, but not historical to the building

Breakfast room was too small and crowded, long line to check in, stained rug, tv didn't work til you unplugged and replugged it in.

WiFi was fast, lots of bathroom counter space.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

room needs more cleaning and the carpet looked dirty. Needs to be deep cleaned or steamed cleaned.

the room could be cleaned more thoroughly. The bottom of the toilet was dirty.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The heating/ac unit blows air fine, but is too loud to keep on all night. This would have been okay except I got a little cold as the bed did not have a blanket. Just top sheet & bedspread. I did not ask for extra blanket, but felt they should have provided enough bedding for winter conditions.

Nice lobby to sit and talk or wait for friends. Parking was located mostly inside near rooms. Some Hotels have parking exposed to main road. Pool & hot tub open at night and in winter. Rooms nicely decorated & nice color paint. Convenient store nearby plus restaurants & massage. Shops too. But pretty quiet area at night no noise.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The breakfast room - I did not like that the only eggs available were omelets with cheese. I would have preferred plain scrambled eggs. Also, the main toaster was not working, so the wait for making breakfast was longer than I expected.

The room was clean and nice.

The beds where so uncontrollable, the folder looked dirty, the shower head water was not working well. I got over charge for security deposit which they haven’t refund it yet!!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The noise! We could hear every step the guest made upstairs. It kept us up and woke us up. This is the fault of the motel because we have stayed in older motels downstairs before and never had this problem with noise.

We were able to get a room on the first floor right next to the handicap parking for my mom which was also right next to the lobby and elevator, the bed was comfortable, bathroom was large! We were extremely happy with our stay!

• Two-Bedroom Unit

One hick up was we were gone all day and when we returned our room was not cleaned yet.

Loved the room. My mom and I travel to Santa Barbara every year with my two sons. It was nice to have two separate rooms at a reasonable rate.

Female check in staffer was gruff and unwelcoming. I would ask not to be put in a corner alleyway room as this made it even poorer lighting.

Male staffer helpful with some faxing we had to attend to during our stay.

old dirty carpet with big stains. room was not ready. we arrivved at 3;30 half hour after check in time and still had to wait 20mins for room then the key wouldn't work so i had to go back to front desk they gave me new key that also didn't work so they had to give us a different room. didn't get in the room till 4:15.

the bed was comfy

An extra night stay wasn't included.

I have stayed here in the past but had not taken the time for their complimentary breakfast. This time I did. Exceeded my expectations!Very nice perk w/ great room rate!

the staff was amazing. i had to go to a memorial and was really frazzled - they made my stay as comfortable as possible during a very difficult time - and they were very booked.

• Two-Bedroom Unit

Our 2 bdrm room had a king size bed and two queens. The king bed was very uncomfortable. I had terrible hip pain the entire next day. Also, the safe was broken.

The size of the room was fantastic! It was nice to have a fridge & microwave in the room and the iron/ironing board came in quite handy. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Very noisy. Next door people keep going in and out all night till 5 am. I woke up about 5 times from their door opening and closing noise.

Relatively good price and clean

No adjustable shower head, which acn be handheld. Wifi did not work with newest iphone software, but it works with a normal laptop. Internet speed could be higher.

Very good breakfast with eggs, creamchesse, bagels, oatmeal, flavoured coffee, fruits and more. I liked it very much. Coffee machine in the room for the morning coffee.

• Two-Bedroom Unit

Staff didn’t have a room ready and had trouble finding us a family room (that we booked a week prior). Room was small and outdated. No bathtub in a suite. Coffee in room was bad. AC units are in the wall and old and loud. Pillows are really bad (lumpy or hard and thin take your pick). “Breakfast” is weak.

The sheets were very starchy and not soft. I was awakened every night by the people in the room above me just walking around until midnight-2 in the morning. This was very disruptive to our stay.

The hot tub and pool were wonderful. The custodial staff responded kindly when I told them about the accident that my daughter had in the bed. Very helpful!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The beds are horribly uncomfortable. Feels like you're sleeping on a crinkly brick. Only 1 wash cloth. No blankets

Close to where we needed to be. The breaskfast.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Coffee machine in room did not work, the air conditioning unit made alot of noise and the beds could be a little more comfortable.

Free breakfast was better than I thought it would be, the rooms where a good size and clean.

The maintenance was talking very loudly when they were cleaning the other rooms and the floor and we could hear them very clearly from our bed because there was a gap between the door and the wall.

The room was very clean and has everything you need. The breakfast was pretty good too.

I wish the WIFI speeds were a faster than what was offered. It was sometimes unreliable to use during our stay because of the nearby Thomas Fires. Other than that, it was easy to access and provided speeds that were usually fast enough to stream 720p youtube videos.

Bed is comfy. Cox cable at the hotel offers standard basic cable channels (e.g. ESPN) plus starz and HBO. Breakfast was fine. They offered cheese omlets (already cooked and left heated) each morning, plus small refrigerated yoplait yugurts, slices or bread, english muffin, bagels, croissants along with fresh apples and bananas.

Breakfast was okay; I suggest some variety because the only hot item served EVERY SINGLE DAY were cheese omelettes.

Excellent staff. Guests were actually using the pool!

• Two-Bedroom Unit

We were not expecting such a big room. We were 3 friends and a mom, so they had a king bed for my mom and I and an extra room with 2 queen beds. Súper confortable for the price. Breakfast was good, they had lots of options. Not just coffee and muffins. Staff was really friendly too.

• Two-Bedroom Unit

Basic property but reflected in price

Got there after early morning arrival at LAX. Let us check in 2 hours early. Missed breakfast as did not wake up! Great staff.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The pillows are very hard and uncomfortable and when you roll over in bed the mattress or mattress pad makes a noise and wakes up the person in bed with you. Danish's weren't replaced when they ran out.

The carpet is filthy,needs at least a stretch .The pillows too big and uncomfortable.The walls had holes filled up with I guess toilet paper and they had scratches of other paint color .Needs a fresh paint.For a Motel is overpriced.

The shower ,the parking ,the staff.Didnt get up for breakfast but is nice they offer it.

Wifi was a bit weak. The breakfast was just OK, but they ran out of some items. We decided to eat out instead on the 2nd day.

Nice size rooms that worked out fine.

Room wasn't supplied with coffee except for two de cafinated and a green tea. Plus no extra blanket or pillows and no laundry bag in closet. Over all stay was okay.

• Two-Bedroom Unit

I didn't like that the front desk looked so clean and nice but the rooms were not. There were stains on the carpet and the bathroom shower floors. Did not like that there was only one new AC unit and the second unit needed the filter to be replaced. Did not like that the mini fridge was not cold at all, had to buy an ice chest to keep our water, juice and milk cold. For the price, the room could have felt more inviting instead of dark and kind of gloomy. I did not like that the hot breakfast like the eggs (that was the only one besides the bagel) ran out quickly. I went back the 3rd time and there was only one left. The breakfast area was small compared to how many rooms they had at the property. It did not accommodate the number of guests comfortably.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We had a room in the first floor, and people were outside our rom talking very early morning. They should remind guests about quiet hours.

Room was clean and tidy and the hotel was well located.

The Wi-Fi was a bit spotty and cell phone coverage there is pretty bad (opt for a 2nd floor room to curb some of that.) Breakfast was a bit boring...same every day, no variety.

Rooms are nicely appointed and very clean. Looks recently updated. Bed is very comfortable. Walking distance to lots of things, 2 grocery stores, lots of eateries, and don’t miss the Foot Spa across the street.

IParking: Ireserved 2 rooms. Didnt like that 3rd car couldnt park on facilty. I was uncomfortable for my safety parking down street and asked the front desk to just let me park, which they did. Housekeeping : asked for more coffee pods at front desk but did not get them

Breakfast made the morning easier..thank you.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The entire property is exceptionally clean and well maintained. It is also well positioned near great spots to eat as we as grocery stores. Absolutely the best value in the city of Santa Barbara, the hot tub and pool are always open, never closed for maintenance as some properties.

Bed made weird sound when sitting on bottom. Toilet was slanted backwards n toilet paper very rough n microwave in front of tv

Good breakfast quiet room quick check in n out had fridge

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room was small, dated, not especially clean. Furniture worn. Leftover food from previous occupant still in the refrigerator. Parking spaces are barely as wide as the car itself. Found a hypodermic needle sitting on the second floor ledge.

Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was good. Staff was very friendly.

Pleasantly surprised by this mid-priced hotel. Many teams traveling to competitions in Santa Barbara were staying at the hotel. Hot tub was great. Room clean. Beds comfortable.

The place could have a bit more charm. The breakfast was very basic with everything in these plastic cups. Felt more like a school canteen than a hotel.

The room was spacious and comfortable. Had a fridge and a coffee machine and was clean. Nice and comfortable bed. The wifi was fast. Over all quite good.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No curtain in front of the glass window into the shower no privacy. Also the off button to the air conditioner was not obvious or visible it was broken off and there was no way to tell how to turn it off so we had to leave it on all night long. We did not sleep well. You also need to add a category 4 a mother and father bringing their two adult children along who are over 18. We can't afford two rooms not at that rate it would have cost us close to $ $520 or more.

What a relief! We stayed stayed at so many motels and all have something that annoyed me. This was a great place to stay. Staff was very friendly, no noise during the night, breakfast is ok, room is fine.

• Two-Bedroom Unit

Free breakfast was OK but would have been even better if they had a waffle machine.

Comfortable beds. The 2 room layout worked well for a family of 2 teenage children as there was 1 room with large King Bed and other room had 2 double beds.

We stopped over on our drive down to LA. Clean room, nice breakfast and lovely pool/Jacuzzi area. Recommend people to try Jills Place (steakhouse) it was fantastic...best meal we have had so far in California!

• Two-Bedroom Unit

Breakfast should be much better.Juice was very warm, we didnt like it.Restaurants near Lodge were opened from 3 p.m or 5 p.m and it is very late if you want lunch.

Very good pool and jacuzzi. Comfortable beds. Nice and clean room.

The only complaint is that our room smelled like bleach when we first entered. We left a window ajar when we went out to dinner and it was much better when we returned.

Convenient, affordable and comfortable.