Reviews of Hotel Solares 2 stars

600 Riverside Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA

#40 of 58 hotels in Santa Cruz

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I didn't know about a $200 holding. I had to ask about it when I noticed the amount of money I was charged.

It was very clean, comfy beds, nice bathroom, and nice balcony.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

When we first arrived no one was at reception and it took 15minutes of wandering around looking for staff, till a lady appeared and rather than apologise she was very annoyed and short with us. The pictures are a bit deceitful or were taken 10 years ago before the maintenance of the building stopped and it became worn and grotty. The pool is half the size it looks and parking is 11$ although its free to park on the street however no one tells you that. The toilet was filthy under the seat and the carpet was peppered with sand. The most overpriced place I've ever stayed, they should charge around 50$ a night and be called a motel, because thats what it is.

The bed was comfy. 15min walk to beach. Easy to find from interstate.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds -Disability Access - Non-Smoking

The only issue we had there was a limited amount of power outlets. The one by the bed had one dead plug in, thus leaving us with the option of either powering the lamps by the bed or plugging in the power to the headboard strip to charge our electrical devices. Suggestion would be to have powers strips available for their customers in case this issue is common at the hotel.

Staff was accommodating and friendly. Killer breakfast. A pool and hot tub that is actually open, heated, and romantically dimmed by the outside lighting in the evenings. Love the Solarus!!!

Bot having enough beds and not getting a roll away or not having a fold out sofa or something since you knew I had had 5 people. Not making it right without it costing considerably more. Also requested more bath towels twice and never getting. 1st time they didn't have clean ones. 2nd time maid never brought. Also would be nice if when we booked the room we were told of the $200 deposit. That overdraw our acct.

I booked the room for 5 people. There were only 2 beds and no sofa. I asked if we could get a roll away and was told I would have to move rooms and the room would be more. So one had to sleep on the floor.

the sliding door that opened up to go outside was sketchy was a little scared at night

Loved everything about it ! The bed was a cloud and slept through the night like an angel

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The location made us uncomfortable; shifty people outside. The price was way too high for a property like this. Saw people smoking outside their rooms even though it said EVERYWHERE NO SMOKING on premises. The breakfast was subpar. We saw larger dogs than the 50lb weight limit up on second floor; thought only dogs could be on ground level and <50lbs. The walls are thin and we could hear people upstairs jumping or walking hard, slamming the glass slider over and over throughout our stay and throughout all hours. The pool was great for the kids but small for large groups. The snack shop didn't have a basic toothbrush for those, like me, forgot theirs. Should have more items and better restocking in the shop.

The rooms were adjoined with my sister which we liked for our kids. The beds were comfortable. There was running hot water when needed. Rooms were clean upon arrival and after cleaning.

This place is full of Fraudulent workers! I stayed there literally for 12 hours paid them cash of 107.00$ on a weds night. It was in the worst area of DT Santa Cruz and the manager accused me of smoking in a non smoking room. Funny thing is I’m expecting and when I checked in the room had already smelled like smoke! I was nausea all night because of this! This place is dirty and there were people partying all night above me and that was ok! I’m sorry but a pregnant women can smell everything and this is just wrong! These people charged my card an extra 250$ on top of the 107.00$ this is obviously a huge scam these people are playing on tourist! Do not stay here the are very unprofessional and it’s an unsafe neighborhood! Had I know they would treat me like this I would of stayed in the Hilton for 357$ per night vs. the Santa Cruz slums!

I thought it was gated when I booked but when I arrived it’s not at all!

No towels in the bathroom

The room was in a good condition, the bathroom is nice and clean. The location of the hotel is very close to the beach. The breakfast was good

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Location, dated run down building. Breakfast was awful. Orange juice tasted watered down. Cereal was generic non brand. Bed very hard. Unable to sleep due to construction work super early in the morning.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I didnt like that when I did my reservation it didn’t said anything about paying $11 dollars more for parking It would be better to charge at the moment of reservation, or let the guests know about this charge.

We like the pool and breakfast

The room was dirty, I had to make multiple trips to the service desk upon arrival, for towels and extra toilette paper because we had none too begin with, the elevator would always take you to the third floor no matter what. On one of my many trips to the service desk I saw a rat walk out of the elevator, who by the way was not afraid of us like he owned the place, and so on and so....

The distance from the hotel to the boardwalk was what I liked most.

the hotel staff overcharged us didn't tell us until we saw the invoice! The room is sticky, very noisy heater n fan, the bed is not comfortable!

waffle

At 4:30 in the afternoon our room which looked out on the swimming pool was still not ready for checkin. After a couple of false starts staff "upgraded" us to a giant, twin king room, that looked out on the parking lot and was poorly lit.

Staff attempted to do well for us. Company policy seems to not have enough cleaning people for the number of rooms.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

There was issues with the elevator. It hit my pregnant wife when we were entering it would open and close horribly. It would get stuck when trying to exit.

The guest service lady Isabell was very friendly and nice.

I noticed that anyone off the streets were able to use the restroom located by the pool. That made me very uncomfortable. Also I was not able to sleep because the person above us was non stop walking all night. This was suppose to be a relaxing day. 1

How close it is to boardwalk

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds -Disability Access - Non-Smoking

The area was horrible they had chains on the sliding doors didn't make us feel safe we got there the first room the gave us had no carpet no beds it was a room under construction then they put us in a room with no shower curtain and no towels wasn't ready for no one to be in and we arrived at 9 pm .

The only thing my family and I liked about the place was the pool and the beds.

I stepped out of the elevator right onto a mouse. The staff stood there and did nothing. We had the do not disturb sign on the door and cleaning decided to come in and wake us up at 8:30 in the morning. Horrible.

Reserved for family member that was not able to make it bcuz sickness.tried to cxl 48hrs b4 stay.had to pay 484.00 anyways!not good i could agree with 50 to 100.that was outrageous.

Wi-fi down, horrible smell to rooms, not enough towels in room or on request, location sketchy, but close to activities and gated. Typical off-brand hotel near beach.

Pool heated, we got first floor last rom!, nreakfast in am, outside halls, friendly staff, refrigerator, large entry in room w/ bench.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

breakfast bar is good, basic but satisfactory Room was clean, but a bit dated, otherwise perfectly acceptable. The weekend stay coincided with with High school sr's week, and the Solares being lower end had a buch of HS students, but they were well behaved. Mgt also accommodated our request for top floor quiet room.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds -Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Bathroom, towels were dingy aand didn't smell clean. There was mold on the walls of the bathroom, there was no shower curtain. Breakfast was something to be desired.

Spacious room, great location

The 1st room i got wasnt clean. There was a sponge left in the tub,the blanket was dirty, the fridge was dirty and there was food in the microwave.

Once I showed the staff pictures of the room they changed my room

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom sink was leaking but it didn't affect our comfort level. It was still a nice place to stay.

The staff was friendly and the breakfast area was very pleasant. There's also a really nice patio area around the pool.

I didn’t like the fact that it was a smoke free hotel but we could smell weed on some of the other guest. We ran into a few in the elevator and a few in the parking area.

I liked the location, we were close to the boardwalk, stores and downtown was easy to get to and from. I also liked the variety of food they had for breakfast.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom was not clean, with hair in both the bathtub and sink. The sliding glass patio door lock was broken, allowing anyone to open the door from the outside.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Great space, location, and everything about it, wasn’t creepy or dirty and we went into a couple different rooms to visit friends and they were nice as well!

The downstars guest where very loud and fighting with each other and smoking kinda sounded like they where on some kind of drug this went on for several hours of the night and around like 12:50am there was loud people in the hallway talking it was not very nice that others didn’t respect quite hours also the I’m the restroom the ceiling looked unfinished and like it was falling apart

The bed was nice and I really liked the sitting area it had nice windows.

First time in Santa Cruz and my friend recommended staying here since it was close to everything. I’m definitely a picky person when it comes to hotels and for the price it was perfect! There were other hotels I looked at before he recommended this and I’m sooo glad I chose this one. It might look kind of old on the outside but the inside was quite nice and updated. They even let us check in way earlier and the staff was so sweet and accommodating. Breakfast was a nice perk too and had quite a few choices.

There was a group of kids in the room above us partying. I heard the slider All night long and walking back and forth. I didn’t sleep very well because of it. I had kids knocking on my door until 11:00 pm because they had the wrong room. And Small issue of ants in the bathroom.

I liked the atmosphere of the hotel. The staff was Very nice and helpful. The outside area by the pool and the decor of the hotel was very nice. It felt tropical and relaxing. I will definitely stay here again. It was walking distance to the boardwalk and I could keep my car at the hotel and not worry about parking.

I don't like the first room that we had, the fridge is not working and a.c. keeps turning off all the time, and I heard that was supposed to be the newly renovated one.

I like how they implement the quiet time from 10pm-6am.

You could make your own waffles!!!! Fantastic Pool that is saltwater with a hot tub palm trees... walking distance to the beach and the boardwalk and downtown! everything is so close and well taken care of. Rooms were clean and all of the staff was nice. There was one staff member who thought they new where I lived and claimed there must be two of those cities in California and argued with me when I told him there was not but he was not mean or rude just young & misguided. Oh and you had to pay for parking but for the price and the Fantastic Breakfast and the cleanliness and the huge room size and everything else it was worth the extra $11 for parking. I was also told by someone who frequented this area for business that they stayed in lots of hotels in the area and this was the only one that they would return to. They said that there are nicer ones on the beach but even some of those are not as clean and they are more expensive. I told the front desk ladies this and they said they have guests coming in all the time that forfeit their money and want to stay here because the hotel they booked was horrible.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds -Disability Access - Non-Smoking

We booked a Handicap Accessible room through your site. When we got there they said the room was not available. They blamed Booking.com for the mix up. My mother is handicap and needs an accessible room. As it was to late to find another place, we had to make due. This was very disappointing.

Comfortable beds, pretty pool area.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds needed to be upgraded, the breakfast has not enough items. no eggs! The parking fee was not good at all! I had 2 cars, so I paid $44 in parking fees!

the spa and pool

No wireless internet access for 2/3 days/nights. Room service didn't show up for one day. The patio was only big enough for one person. The bathroom needs a serious paint job...paint peeling off the ceiling.

Friendly staff. Room was spacious.

the price was way to high for the discomfort, but I get it. location location ... just annoying.. If anything, they at least need to upgrade their extra bedding. The towels were more comfortable .. seriously ! my 11 year old said.. "That blanket would be amazing if I was on Naked and afraid, but at a hotel room.. no no no" And I swear were not richy snobby people either.

The Staff was great ! Kids loved the breakfast !

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

There was an $11 per night parking charge that was NOT advertised or disclosed with booking. The pool area stayed open until 10 PM and a large family (20+ people) had an evening party at the pool with VERY LOUD music and noise. When we asked the desk staff at 9:30 to quiet the group down the answer was that the pool closed in 30 minutes anyway. Bathrooms need a refresh.

Check in was fast and easy. Room was as advertised - efficient and comfortable. Amenities were as advertised - good outside seating and grass space. Nice location near the river and a few blocks to the Boardwalk. Family friendly.

I plan on writing the management and contesting this with my credit card. I entered the hotel and the room was not ready, I asked to use the restroom and it was filthy with cigarette butts not he vanity, paper everywhere and completely disgusting. How can you calculate this as a 2.5 hotel it was less than a one

There was no wifi during the stay. The air conditioner does not work during the evening/early morning hours, must be on a timer because it would only work for five minute interval until 9 in the morning. The breakfast was horrible, the batter taste funny, coffee was watered down and they didn't even bother to clean out the cereal container because there was two different kinds mixed in together. There was broken glass in the stairway that remained there for hours.

It is close to the beach, a few blocks away.

Noise because you can hear people from outside. blankets are old and look dirty. Bathroom lights gets turned off at a certain time and entrance light. I was looking for a nightlight so I ended up using the lights close to our bedroom. Did not get enough sleep at all. Breakfast, no variety. Eggs or sausage or pancake are missing.

Place is close to our main destination.

They placed us in a room on the first floor right next to the kitchen prep room. We couldn’t sleep due to the incredibly loud refrigerator that kept cycling on and off. It sounded like a washer or dryer was on ALL NIGHT LONG, and staff members kept going in that room throughout the night and were incredibly inconsiderate.

The bath tub drain was missing the plug(stopper) to fill the bath. It was resolved but disappointing not to be there to start the stay.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

No towels in the bathroom and no working WiFi. I could keep going but I mentioned it above.

When we pulled into the property there was very little parking. The staircase to our room had chips and some trash on the floor. Our room had light switches that weren’t easy to turn on or off in the bathroom. The walls and baseboards were old and dirty or needed some tender loving care. The lock on the front door didn’t work, so they had chains for extra security. The WiFi didn’t work, so we had to use our own data to search places around the area. The hot tubs jets didn’t work very well. And the worst part was the bathroom didn’t have any towels😳. The girl did bring us three towels, but no hand towels or wash rags.

The hotel is just above being seedy Needs paint, repairs.Loud music all afternoon long. The balconies were dirty with funky chairs. Rooms are over priced

There were no fluffy eggs. The staff o is the best part of the hotel.

noting

location was awful and the room was smell like mold and middle of the night a drunk guest was tried to get in to our room . all the family wake up and did not sleep at all. i never take my family to that hotel again.

The condition of the walls in the room was disappointing, especially the uneven/unmatched paint.

Bed was very comfortable but some of the lights (possibly the outlets) did not work.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Fridge didn’t work, air conditioner broke during our stay and weird cleaning hours for the room, ours wasn’t even cleaned during 2 of our 3 nights. WiFi was horrible we couldn’t stream from our device.

Had fun in the pool and hot tub. Breakfast was OK.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Dirty rooms. Bring your Clorox wipes! Dirty towels. Broken fridge. Car got broken into on their property and checkout girl could not help us at all. Disgusting place in a bad part of town.

Annabelle checked us in and was helpful

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The place was super dirty all over like they were under staffed yuk

The beds we're nice but the picture had metal containers which I thought were eggs and sausage and potatoes served with breakfast. Those weren't there just waffles...

According to the paper provided on the room breakfast was schedule differently and the staff failed to give me reason when confronted

The location was great and quality was perfect

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was a little dirty and could use some improvements.

I liked the location and the pool area. The breakfast was decent. Also, I liked the area for my two dogs.

Our room didn't get to clean, and there were lock broken. Our autistic son run away three times. I told at front desk, but no one came to fix. The walls should be painted or washed, they look dirty

Breakfast was good. Kids liked the pool and jacuzzi

Parking

Super friendly. Nice rooms. Comfortable beds. Great outdoor space and it was really quiet. The parking could have been better but overall... I would stay here again!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Sliding glass door On balcony didn’t lock but there was a chain Parking is $11 additional and $100 for incidentals is charged which goes back on your card up to five days later

Nice clean pool and hot tubs

I dont have amy complains. The price was work it. The staff A+

I love it the Staff was so lovely, from the Management to the housekeeping. Clean, nice breakfast, I Really like it. I'm really Recommend it, and I'm coming Back. Hopefully God. Is close to everything by waking or lift ( if you are happy to Drive 🐻🍻🥂🍹🍸🍷

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I didn’t like that you had to make your own waffles and the breakfast hours should be extended a bit more.

What I liked was that it had a pool and a hot tub, it also provided free breakfast.

The comforter had some residue on it upon checking in. I tried to not use the sheets, I brought a blanket that I used. Bathroom could use a good clean. Blow dryer was nasty-would not touch that. The bathroom door could be wiped down. Patio furniture could be updated. FD Staff could be a lot more friendly and welcoming.

The 100$ hold they put on your card, on top of whatever the price is you’re paying. Example the room was 2.30$ you’ll pay 3:30 dollars.

The hotel vibe.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

We had 2 rooms booked 2 months in advance. Overall it could be a really nice hotel. They said they renovated it 2 years ago, but things were still unfinished and Not Clean. Rooms were just a hit and a miss on the cleanliness and smelled. No vents in the bathroom. Mold on Ceiling & behind toilets. Bedskirts and Bed Spreads are never changed or clean. (See Pics). Very Nasty!! Fingerprints and Smudges on Doors. We showed pictures to the manager. He was not surprised, but offered us another room or a refund. We changed rooms. It was better in some areas and as bad if not worse in other areas. Even though we had 2 rooms we told them we were together and had only 1 Vehicle. I checked and sure enough they had charged both my rooms for parking. Our patio was a Joke! Only Very Few rooms faced the Pool. Walls are thin, you can hear your neighbor and people up above you!! Hot Tub Water was dark and not Chlorinated right. Pool lids on the ground were nasty and never cleaned. The plus side to the hotel was Its Breakfast. Very Clean,Great Variety and always Filled Up. The outside looked nice. They area was rough. Really Nice restaurants on the Pier. Wouldn’t stay in that area again.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Kids below me partied from 10 at night to 4 in the morning called Hotel still nothing happened that was the only one thing that I did not like I was ready to leave but they said I wouldn't get a refund which is bull and to top it off it was spring break for my kids and the boardwalk was closed

Pool was nice two hot tubs room were clean and the staff was friendly

The water pressure wasnt the best but its still great!

The are very helpful if something goes wrong and they fix it with no problem, Staff is very friendly and they care about their job!The staff are vwry informed on the area and what to eat.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

We had a very large room with two balconies. Quite a surprise with such a good price. The room had a nice view of the pool and the outdoor cafe area on the balcony. There were even three chairs on the balcony. A plenty of space inside the room. Great experience for us as the return customers!

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

They don't do housekeeping every day or the housekeepers just casually change the towels, but the housekeeping is ok on request. One light in the room was broken when we came in.

The room is large with a nice balcony. The neighborhood is peace and quiet. There is a pool with large outdoor common space. The free breakfast is good compared to nearby hotels at similar prices. The place is friendly for the long-term stay. Finally, I speak for the room price! We booked here again when we visited Santa Cruz the second time.

The curtains in the first room we were given fell off the ceiling when we tried to close them. The second room had black mold on the bathroom ceiling and baseboards.

Spacious rooms. Carpets were in good condition. The beds and furniture were very comfortable and in excellent condition.

No washer or dryers, pillows were a little crappy

The outside was average but the inside was absolutely lovely the best room we have stayed in so far! The room was big and they gave us a conjoining room with our other family traveling with. The inside was clean and modern, the pool area was very pretty with romantic music playing. Breakfast was nice, waffles, oats, cereal and toast/bagels. Staff were very friendly! Sad to have only stayed one night

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

I went to casa blanca hotel Was horrible experience But your Price was exelent cleaning was good stuff was friendly Everthing was good More thn i thought

Noise upstairs was a little much but definitely not the hotels fault. The first room we were in was a little dirty but they moved us to a new one very quickly and easily.

Comfy bed nice bathroom and really nice staff

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The neighborhood isn't the best but it wasn't the worst either. I initially was worried about my car in the lot but everything was fine.

The hotel is dog friendly which was a big bonus for my friend I was with! Her dog is 110lbs, friendly as can be but lots of places tend to frown on animals that large. This place was a really great price and located pretty close (the longest drive was 10mins) to everything we wanted to see!

My only negative at this property, was the noise from the upstairs room. Started before 6:00am, people in the room kept stomping from one end to the other for several hours! Not sure if it was children or ?? I mentioned to front desk. Sounded like there was hardwood floors, but no.. they said it was carpeted.

Very good location. Older property, but well maintained

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was loud, any walking in the upstairs room sounded like the roof was cracking - woke me up both nights

Belgian waffle maker, proximity to restaurants

They charge you to park in there parking lot knowing there is no parking on the street $11.00 a night. That was $22.00 more I spend could up graded at another Hotel. Now I know that right there will make my decision.

Nice Big room. Very nice.

I searched out a pet friendly place to stay. When I arrived I was asked if I had a pet and said yes. I was told there would be a $55.00 per night charge. I responded that when I searched for a room there was no mention of this specific amount and it should have been made more clear. In addition, I was charged an $11.00 per night parking fee adding a total of $66.00 to the nightly stay. I was a bit overwhelmed.

Good location. Overall cleanliness.

Not enough elevators and stairs to rooms in the back

The front staff was super courteous. I asked them some questions about extra rollout beds and they politely answered. They also reminded us about free breakfast in the mornings. Lovely.

Room was dirty, shower was broken, tv & remote had problems, towels smelled

continental breakfast was poor, coffee was horrible. Staff was very friendly. Refridge, microwave and coffee pot worked ok

Not much night life, everything was shut down by 8. The jacuzzi was kind of gross, it had white foam on it

The room was a very present surprise! It was spacious and we had a nice balcony

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The neighbors in the next motel over were noisy and cops were arresting someone on other corner. But no concerns in my motel

The area surrounding wasn’t the greatest but the property is gated and it wasn’t a problem best one in that neighborhood for price nice pool, rooms, breakfast area. Short walk to boardwalk