Reviews of Shelley Hotel 2 stars

844 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139, USA

#225 of 390 hotels in Miami Beach

• Queen Room

Very uncomfortable beds/blankets/pillows. Over priced for everything in the room. No pen/paper. Sand was everywhere in our room prior to us.

Good location to hop over to the cruise port.

• Room with Two Double Beds

SOMEONE TRIED BREAKING INTO OUR ROOM!! At 12:30 am 2 men tried getting into our room. After that we checked out. It was horrible. I had no idea South Beach was so trashy and the tourist are the reason its so bad. It is now a rachet paradise. From paper thin beds, paper thin walls, a almost breaking (our lock was also broken!) the drugs and the noise. This hotel ruined our vacation.

Nothing! This place should be destroyed and builted new. It was the worst hotel ever! The beds are mats on cots. Am not lieing they really are. No elevator! Check in is Across the street! And we're on the 3rd floor. We saw a member of staff hand off a small package to someone (looked like drugs), at night every room had weed smoke coming from every room.

• Room with Two Double Beds

No elevator. And had some issues with our room key.

The hotel was near restaurants and shops. Plus the beach. Its was descent for the money and to stay there.

• Queen Room

The staff was not too helpful, the noise in the reception at night because of the bar

The location of the hotel, the room, the free shuttle from and to the airport

• Queen Room

The carpet could’ve been cleaner and smell more inviting. I had a chat with the cleaning lady and she advised the carpet is vacuumed once a day so that explains it. However, a simple Glade plugin in the hallway could’ve fixed that.

I intially got a single room for my stay during Memorial Day weekend, but the room was literally the size of a box, lol. But I quickly called the front desk and they gave me a double, which was descent. The hotel is perfectly situated right on Collins off 8th. I believe their sister hotel is the Chesterfield, across the street. The staff was very cool and I felt very safe. I enjoyed going back and forth between hotels and chilling in front of the Chesterfield. That was very cool! The Shelly ain’t the Marriott or anything, but what the heck, you’re on Collins and literally two blocks from the beach. I’ll be honest, it wasn’t my first choice, but for the price I got and location, it was definitely a win for me.

• Room with Two Double Beds

The housekeeping doesn’t understand english, and the supervisor for housekeeping that worked May 24-28, 2018. She was rude and yelling a lot. She need to get fired!

Only person that was nice was Nelson

• Queen Room

The washroom was dirty and the faucet in the shower was broken so no water... and when we went to the lobby we have to wait 45 minutes because is only one person in the front desk. He was no nice and said Uauu you destroy the room and he didn't change us the room he send a maintenance guy to fixed at this time was almost 10pm😡the maintenance guy was so nice and fixed the best what he can at that time.Really upset with this reservation.

• Queen Room

The place isn't modern and more of a boutique hotel so please expect an older building but the rooms are upgraded (e.g. flat screen tv and comfy bed). There is No elevator.

Shelley Hotel was very accommodating. They transit from the airport was on time and FREE. The check in was easy (with no hidden fees). You can leave your bags at the front desk until your room is ready. Seamless check out.

• Queen Room

The rug in the hallway was dirty and curtains in the room was dirty. Should remove them gave me severe allergy

The area was great to walk around and to meet people. The decorations and bars

• Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms very small and not too clean. Photos on site make it look better Nuisance to have to check into chesterfield hotel opposite.no lift.

Location. Close to ocean drive

• Queen Room

Weird policies and service, they only do housekeeping during certain hours, didn’t get any service the first day... no elevator

Staff was friendly enough it’s a very basic room though although it was clean when I came, new sheets, not very soundproof though...

• Room with Two Double Beds

One bed in the room was broken, the washing machine broke so there where no clean wash rags for us to wash up with the whole trip, no hot water in the morning at all but I’m not surprised because there where no rags to wash up with anyway .. I could go on but I’ll just stop there smh

the location and that’s it

• Queen Room

The room was nice but the beds were a bit uncomfortable, we saw croakroach in the room which had us scared to sleep. Also the 3pm check in was long as we arrived at the hotel for 11.30 so had to wait till 3pm. Apart from that, it’s a really nice hotel, convenient and would come back

The location, the facilities the size of the room. We booked a double room but was given twin room with two double beds which was really nice. The location was amazing, 5 min walk to the beach, there are shops and restaurants everywhere including Walgreens or cvs

• Queen Room

I don’t like that I paid so much for a night and the hotel did not have hot water, furniture was all Damaged and scratched up. Housekeeping knocks and just goes in you room in the morning basically saw me and my partner naked and then you would think she would close the door and stood there yelling at me why I ordered towels when it was the wrong room. Just not very pleasant. You can also hear loud music from the rooms around it a loud door banging all morning I believe it was the emergency I did not enjoy my stay at all. It’s ridiculous for the price they charge and not have a nice stay. I would have been better off at a motel 8 and taken Uber’s to sobe. The only good thing is close to the beach and nightlife.

The only thing I like was the location of the hotel.

The beds are soft

Loved it! They have the best staff, so helpful and lovely. I needed help with different things and they always were happy to help. Their atmosphere was positive. They also have the best bartender. The bathroom was very nice, big and the room nice.

• Queen Room

The rooms don’t have much space. The bathrooms are small.

The rooms were clean. The complimentary drinks were a plus no dark liquor though👎🏼 And the air worked fine. The bed sheets were clean. The building is secure it locks after a certain time. Near all the shopping store H&M,Zara UGg,free people. Etc

• Queen Room

This was absolutely the worst stay at a hotel ever! We requested a room early but due to check out at 11am we couldnt get a room until 3pm. When our room was finally ready there was no staff to assist us up 3 flights of stairs in the nonairconditioned building with no elevator. You then had to slide your room card a couple dozen times just to get the door to open. When we went to the desk to ask for it to be fixed nothing was done. When it was time to set up our complimentary shuttle to the airport we were told that it only runs every 2 hours and doesn't start until 8am which was useless to us since our flight was at 8:30am. We were then informed when asked if someone could help us bring our belonging down that no one was available that early. Needless to say customer service was complete crap and i will never recommend this place to anyone ever!

• Queen Room

Room was too small to fit 2 beds we had inside our room.

Location is very central which makes it also noisy but thats the price you pay :) Design was nice.

• Queen Room

The hotel itself was updated, but the actual hallways were dirty, the main lobby smelled like a dive bar and our bathroom had a limestone pitted type tile that was a terrible choice because while it may be newer, it is impossible to clean the mold out of. The bathroom didn't have a fan, and the window didn't stay open, so the bathroom is going to stay damp and humid. Cleanliness left much to be desired.

We were rolling the dice by choosing to do a last minute booking in South Beach on a Saturday night- we booked our room en route from the airport. The Shelly was close to the beach and Le Sandwichere, the photos of the rooms looked good so we booked. The staff at the hotel were wonderful. They were very accommodating, and allowed us to check in early with no issues. The bed was newer and surprisingly comfortable. Air conditioning did the job. The bonus is that the room was surprisingly quiet considering its location.

• Queen Room

The room wasn’t how I expected are what the pictures online present it.. The air didn’t work we have roaches in bugs.. We was charged for two night instead one the guy up front act like he wasn’t able to speak English

• Queen Room

The room was super tiny, hard to walk around the beds and the bathroom was super tiny as well. Biggest con was that security lock on the main entrance of the hotel after hours. Once the bartender left myself and a couple of other guests were left stranded outside as the door lock had malfunctioned and the staff from Chesterfeld Hotel had to break in the door so we could get in. Very very poor.

I loved the price for the location and the free happy hour drinks was definitely a bonus! The daily housekeeping service was great with fresh towels as needed each day.

• Queen Room

Had to check in/out across the street, ice machine located across the street, smell in hallways, pillows cases were dirty, shower water pressure really low, and lukewarm water.

• Queen Room

The wifi was so slow didn't make sense to use it. The carpets were disgusting, going barefoot, even temporarily wasn't an option. The inconvenience of walking across the street to get ice was terrible. The refrigerator was packed full of mini bar items which left it un usable. Street people were harassing and inside the hotel, even sleeping in the lobby. People who were not guests used the facility as if they paid for the right. I was overcharged for my room. I was given the wrong style of room. I had to request service to have the room cleaned instead of it just being done. There wasn't even a trash can in the room. The room was over crowded. I wanted one bed instead I had two. The location was the only mitigating factor to an otherwise upsetting stay. I would suggest paying a little more and having a comfortable, secure, clean, enjoyable visit. No way would I have stayed here with a family.

• Queen Room

I had no hot water to take a shower was informed the next day that the plumbing is backwards room 109 but yet I paid $142.00 really for cold water and the room was dirty for my first time in MiamiSouth beach I didn't choose the right hotel

Unfortunately I didn't like the hotel at all from the start I should of stayed at the one across the street that's where you received service which they also own,n they give you a ride to the airport 4 bad service

• Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel doesn’t have a restaurant or room service or anything.

The place was super clean, the location was just perfect, not far from anything but not in the middle of it where you wouldn’t even be able to sleep... just perfect.

• Queen Room

Even I asked in the evening cleaning lady intentionally missed the cleaning of the room the first day

Value for money and great location Staff at reception is very cute and giving a hand with luggage if needed

• Queen Room

Attitude of Staff: They were very callous. This is my 5th or 6th time staying in a hotel with South Beach Group Hotels. They are racially discrimatory towards black/African American People. Every time I come in they/Staff act like they can't find my Confirmation, and the wait is long. One time I booked for their best hotel and they put me in a worst hotel, "THE WHITELAW HOTEL".

• Room with Two Double Beds

There was nothing to like. The hotel was AWEFUL- the room was small, dirty, and staff was unhelpful. They won't give you supplies like toilet paper and soap even after calling on your cell phone (because they do not answer when you call from your room) several times- you have to physically find a maintenance person and walk with them to the storage closet after you have already waited an hour and wasted your vacation time because your kid has to use the bathroom. Valet will take between 45 mins to an hour if you go downstairs after waiting half an hour in your room and make them go and get your car, which turns out to be parked on the side street a few feet away. The room was AWEFUL and small. The bathroom was worst. Worst place I ever stayed- the only bad part to our vacation. The maid told me that she needed to clean the room right away even though it was not a convenient time because she was leaving at 1pm and would not be cleaned after. Very rude too! This place is horrendous- too many issues to mention- do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to stay.

The only decent thing about the stay at the hotel was the bed- it was decent. Too bad the sheets were stained and dirty. There is no one answering your call for service.

• Queen Room

Barmaid in The Shelly was a bit miserable, she put a gin and tonic into the same glass (plastic cup) that a vodka tonic had just been in, it was happy hour but come on, no way was she getting a tip

Location and room were great for the price, also the "free" happy hour, but don't expect premium brands during it.

• Queen Room

There were no microwave in the room and no refrigerator.

The hospitality was really pleasant. There's not much to say other than, I'm going back soon and I hope that they have some availabilities☺️

• Queen Room

No staff on site, had to walk across the street for anything. Music booming under our room all night, $20 per hour to check in early or out late. People sleeping in the lobby all day? No elevators

Location on Collins Avenue was very convenient.

• Queen Room

Staff had zero customer service training. I booked a queen room and got put into a room with two double beds without a warning. When I went to ask about the queen room they informed me it was because booking.com was a third party there was no guarantee and to come back at checkout the next morning. I did that, they said they would call me in an hour when the queen room would be ready and never did. Towels had hair on them and room floor looked as though it has never been cleaned. Also had to go back for a new room key twice. No apologies, smiles, or anything!! Very disappointing.

Great location, close to beach. Very comfortable bed.

• Queen Room

The bar closed soon after happy hour. The room was very tight for space and could have done with a good clean.

Happy hour free drinksfelt like a real bonus. Availability of beach towels was very convenient.

• Queen Room

The room was small. The price for the room was a bit high.

The location was just perfect. Everything was nearby. The staff was also nice. This hotel is mostly for couples.

• Queen Room

Check in is across the street and the lobby was vacant. No elevators (bad for my injured knee), $100 deposit not mentioned at booking in addition to the "resort fee", was not provided information for my free drink and bar tender ignored me until it was over, took 20 minutes to figure out the light switch was located BEHIND the fridge to turn the lights off, shower was COLD, bathroom was moldy, window in bathroom was screwed shut with a rusty screw that stuck out 2 inches.

I liked the price and location. The lobby looked nice... all though vacant. The sheets were clean. The cleaning staff was friendly.

• Queen Room

Fridge leaked, ac leaked, iron spit rust, bed broke, tp holder broke, no sink stopper, wait, no stopper? Just generally filthy

Book at your own risk

• Queen Room

The bed was the worst I ever slept on. It was like an overaged soft sponge, you sink in it. very uncomfortable and unhealthy. Most of time there was nobody around even in the front desk and you have to cross the street to ask anything. There was a lot of noise in the morning, probably housekeeper or technicians slam some doors and talk loudly.

Excellent location if you like South Beach. max 3-4 min walking from the beach and Ocean Drive. Staff are friendly and helpful even they are located in another hotel across the street.

• Queen Room

The rooms are very very small. Especially for the price you pay for the room. Granted it is in the heart of Miami close to the beach but the price it too expensive for one night. And The girl at the bar wouldn’t give us a tiny glass of water so we had to go buy some bottled water.

It was a very cute place.

• Queen Room

Booked a queen room, door lock wouldn't work for even the staff, door looks on next room were a problem too!! Bathroom clean but had leaks and problems.

Refrigerator in room nice bonus, location very good

• Queen Room

They need to get an ice machine in the same hotel because it was a bit annoying having to walk across the busy street.

Great location. It was close to the beach and near great restaurants.

• Queen Room

No fan in bathroom, thin walls, walk to pool is way too far. Would have liked a coffeemaker or kettle.

The room is very basic basic, but very nice for this price in this ares.Free shuttle to the airport is offered. The beds are comfortable.

• Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms are somewhat small. They missed cleaning our room one night. There was no safe, so we had to request one. The check in desk is across the street, which was a slight inconvenience.

The beds were surprisingly comfortable. The complimentary drinks were a wonderful bonus. The staff always made an effort to help when needed. Nice distance to the beach.

• Queen Room

Rooms small, bathrooms small. Housekeeping flipped my sheet did not change it. We only received towels for 1 person had to call 3 times before we had to cross the street to go get more. Loose tiles on the bath room floor. Water pressure really low. Thin walls and ceilings we could here arguments and walking all night. Had to go across the street for ice.

Location was awesome! Front porch perfect for Miami nights.

• Queen Room

Some dust in the bathroom. You can hear music from bar at night if your room is on the 1st floor.

Nice room. Near the beach and other restaurants and stores.

• Queen Room

Take your time to look for a public parking if you're driving (hotel charges $40 per night for their valet)

Cleaning was very good, check-in was fast and location perfect!

• Queen Room

They were kind enough to put us on the first floor but it was on the first floor right next to the entry and they played extremely loud music until midnight

• Queen Room

There is no staff in the hotel. Its owned by the chesterfield across the street. They leavw it open all day besides a bartender for happy hour. Then at night close and lock the doors. We didn't even know the passcode had to ask other visitors

Bed was comfortable

• Queen Room

The room is not well ventilated and with plenty of light which is on 1st floor; when I entered the room I felt rank-smelling by cleaning. The bar in hotel was noisy that you can hear loud music in your room; but music would be stopped around 10:00 p.m.

The location is pretty good; you can walk to Beach in five minutes. The shuttle to airport is very convenient but remembering to make a reservation in advance in previous day.

• Queen Room

this hotel runs a scam involving a surprise "resort fee" they apply upon arrival and when asked, will tell you covers the free wi-fi, beach towels and happy hour they list as amenities on your website. there is no one staffed at the hotel itself, it's a latchkey children situation with checkin across the street at another hotel. there was no hot water in the hotel the night I stayed. I was not compensated or informed beforehand (as I checked in, across the street, for example). there is no parking (you're on your own in south beach, very expensive) except an overpriced valet. on top of all this, my room was dirty; the bottom bedsheets had obviously not been changed, they smelled of perfume and BO and there were makeup stains and hair all over them. when I called "the front desk" The night manager came over with extra sheets and watched me change them on my own, and barely addressed the hot water issue. just scummy.

nice marble in the bathroom

• Queen Room

Small rooms, dirty bathroom with no vent so all the steam poured back into the room, housekeeping was super loud at 9 AM in the morning, we kept getting less and less towels every day.

The location of this hotel is phenomenal. A bloke away from the beach and some of the best restaurants in town.

• Queen Room

We waited from 7:30 pm till 8:15 pm in the designated area in the airport but no shuttle came to pick us up. Called twice in the property and both the times they said there will be a shuttle around 8 but nothing came. Finally I had to book UBER.

We really liked the area of the hotel. It was very close to beach and lots of nice restaurants were close by. Could not ask for a better location in Miami south beach.

• Queen Room

I wish the floor in the rooms would've had rugs. And also, I wish the room bathroom would've have an AC. The checkin was tricky because it was done in a separate building. They didn't have elevators so that could've been a huge inconvenience for handicap ,injured person or an elderly person. But you are getting what you're paying for, so it's fair I guess. But I am satisfied with the hotel price, that's what saves this place from getting bad ratings I guess.

I like the price. And the staffs we're helpful and friendly.

• Queen Room

people in the lobby at the shelley who knew what was going on. The only answer was, you need to go across the street to the chesterfield. We would have liked hot coffee in the morning. A must for us. Would like a lobby in the hotel we are staying in.

cute room. clean and good location

• Queen Room

There was a tree very close to the building and its branches touched the window, making noise every now and then. AC is very noisy- can’t use it at night if you want to sleep. TV didn’t work properly. Hot and cold water direction on the shower tap were mixed up and it was impossible to figure it out the first day, so had to take cold shower (it was the coldest day +8 Celsius). The hotel staff knows about it and strangely don’t warn guests...

Central location close to everything. Comfortable beds. Nice lobby with a bar.

customer service

There is absolutely no parking.... valet is the only option and it is an additional 40 bucks per day....the price of the hotel is very pricey and therefore valet should be free. when we arrived with our luggage nobody offered to help with the bags. I asked to be on the first floor via email and they had no idea what I was talking about....when I got there I had to ask in person again. So, they were able to switch my room to the 1st floor and I was happy for the moment. However, when the hotel is blasting music in the bar and it can be heard from you room while you are trying to sleep....not cool! The tv that was in the room was small..... not happy about that. Also when we arrived on the first day... the ac was on in our room on 60 degrees... the room was so cold and it took a while to warm up. Keep in mind we can in January on new years eve in winter when the temp outside was 40 and for a florida girl that's freezing... no way should the ac be on at all and for sure not set at 60 ! I guess whoever does the housekeeping doesn't pay the electric bill and has no concern for the guests about to enter. Also we were given 2 keys to open our door.... the dang door would not open .....my fiancé and I tried & tried ...it was very frustrating when we drove 4 hours to get there.....had to get an employee to issue us new keys.... and we were frustrated and what a terrible first impression. Saw pics of this hotel on pinterest and they must not have been recent because the hotel wasn't as pretty as the pics and the giant tropical fan palm tree is no longer there. The location of the hotel was nice seeing as you could walk to restaurants and stores but doesn't have much as going for it. When I was driving to the hotel I called when I was on the street to ask them where to park because I "thought" I read on booking.com that they had parking.

• Queen Room

Over priced, we paid for a queen size bed but ended up with a full size which barely fit in the room. Concierge was across the street and had issues with the access card every time to enter the room.

• Queen Room

When checking in, the staff was not really welcoming. Actually we needed to check in in the hotel on opposite side of the road - could be mentioned in the description. Beds were kinda too soft so you might be rolling down the matress during the night.

Good location - close to the beach and bars.

• Queen Room

Everything dealing with the hotel from front desk to valet parking was dealt with the hotel across the street. If i needed new towels, toiletries, or anything i had to go across the street.

It was close to everything and paying for valet was convenient.

• Queen Room

I was overcharged, and the hotel did not have the decency of providing a good reason for that. I am still waiting for their feedback on this issue, even ~30 days after my stay and multiple inquiries. The whole building where we stayed lacked hot water, and we had small children with us. The hotel staff kept saying that they would fix the issue within 30 min every time we reached them. After 24 hours and threatening to leave the hotel, they moved us to another building. Staff was not helpful. They seemed to be stressed out, giving the impression that there were not willing to help on several occasions.

Location. It was close to the beach.

• Queen Room

They need to put a sign by the entrance that says “check in across the street” Day one, they didn’t clean our room. When the cleaning lady got to it the next day, she literally told us to stay out and not bother her while she cleaned our room. The entrance code to the hotel is changed frequently. Often times I had to go across the street to get a new code. Room keys sometimes didn’t work and had to be reset.... across the street. Hardwood floor had gaps in it.

Lobby and front of the hotel were really nice chill out spots.

• Queen Room

I was charged $35 without my authorization and I never what informed for what. Unprofessional. Now I waste time with my bank to have this charge removed.

I liked the Hotel.

• Queen Room

Disgusting mold in bathroom, music so loud your walls will shake , toilet seat was broken , someone’s snot was smeared on the walls and the bed is so soft and lumpy hope you don’t have a bad back as it will give you one . Noise from people flushing toilet is very loud in my room . If u need you Car back expect to wait half an hour before they bring it . I would never stay here again and I hope no one else does either

there is nothing to like

• Queen Room

room was small no drawer space for clothes had to leave it all in suitcases bath room floor tile lose needs work and happy hour everyday for 1 hour was free with your stay was terrible with a male bartender was super rude when I got their and did ask me if I still wanted to order a drink so I did order and give no tip !!!! so I did not ever go back ever during my stay

bed was amazing soft sheet very white !!!! very clean room. very clean restroom. I love no rug in room for the price was great one block over from beach and walking to from restaurants no need for uber.

• Queen Room

Pricey, but then again, it's Miami Beach...

Location can't be better. There's everything you may need at a walking distance. The bars on the beach are amazing and the beach itself is very pretty.

• Queen Room

Rooms have no circulation. It was extremely stuffy and hard to relax after a great night on the town with my family. I was concerned my daughter couldn't breathe because I couldn't.

Location was great and easy access.

• Queen Room

Extra resort fees of $22 was a bit much. Also airport shuttle does not start running until 8:00 am which made it unavailable for our use.

Great location and room has been updated. Loved that it was an Art Deco Hotel.

• Queen Room

So even though i booked and had to cancel i was still overcharged for the stay...the staff had an oh well attitude...and resolving it is still in the air...and you have to check in across from the property...

• Queen Room

Not terribly clean in the corridors and no reception staffing. Check-in was in the hotel across the street. Hot water didn't work on the last day.

Nice bedrooms and good location.

• Queen Room

I would liked to have a chair in the bedroom and a mirror by the TV to use when someone is using the bathroom.

If you like old buildings, this one has character & charm.

• Queen Room

The hot water never got hot at least in the room we were in

It is only 1 block away from beach and is a nice place to stay with early check in. shuttle service to airport was awesome

• Queen Room

Everything was awesome possum (aka great)

Staff provided extraordinary customer service. Location was fantastic for art deco lovers like me. Plus free shuttle to airport when returning on flight to California was a major bonus.

• Queen Room

One of the toilet seat latches was broker It made a lot of noise if anyone was using it.

Close to the beach. It takes apx 5 mins or less to walk to the beach Safe area also.

• Queen Room

House keeping cane into my room & stole from me I had to call the police to make a report I called management I thought they would have been more involved helpful etc. They did nothing worst experience of my life I’m very unhappy ☹️

• Queen Room

The air conditioning didn’t work in our room , I went to the desk and asked to move and they gave us another room so that was ok . Obviously in an old building there was no lift

Lovely Art Decco building in a fantastic position . Just a walk to the beach and all the great restaurants and bars on ocean drive .

• Queen Room

Room was TINY, NOT KEPT CLEAN, LINENS WERE MERELY RE-MADE AND NOT EXCHANGED FOR CLEAN. TOWELS IN BATHROOM WERE RE-HUNG. FLOOR WAS FILTHY. STAFF, ESPECIALLY CLEANING SERVICE PERSONNEL WERE NOT FRIENDLY.

Location was the ONLY POSITIVE about The Shelley Hotel