Reviews of Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel 4 stars

777 Waterside Drive, Norfolk, VA 23510, USA

#14 of 30 hotels in Norfolk

• The Harbor View Room

The hotel and stay was very nice but the price for one night was very expensive, which probably could be gotten me two nights at another place. The room which was considered harbor-view wasn’t what I expected but it did have a side-view of the water, so not many complaints on my end.. just wish it was a full-view due to the price I paid.

Me & my mom decided to get away from the house for one night & enjoy our stay here while the Harborfest was here. The room we checked-in into was a nice size & we were satisfied with our stay. It was exactly what I was looking for due to the event being near the water & very close. I also decided to do the morning breakfast in the lobby the morning after for us which was worth what I paid for. The breakfast buffet was satisfying & my mom loved it. I will return again for a leisure stay in the future.

• Executive Floor Guest Room

The restaurant was a surprise, and not a pleasant one. The food quality was good, and the service great, but we had to send two glasses of wine back--dirty glasses! As in, THE GLASSES HAD LIP PRINTS ON THEM. Gave us the creeps. Spoiled an otherwise great visit.

The location was super, right on the harbor walk. Staff was courteous, room was very comfortable, and we really enjoyed the balcony overlooking the harbor.

• Room with City View

I was there for a conference, and the buffet food at the event was pretty marginal. Starbucks fans will like the coffee, but for me it was too bitter.

The bed was soooo comfortable! Room was clean, staff was cordial and abundant. Room was quiet, elevator quick. View out my window of the harbor was nice to wake up to.

• Room with City View

Too much noise from construction. Pricey given how much renovation. I didn't care for parking being not connected to the hotel

Location is great. The room was nice

• The Harbor View Room

We should have gotten our room at a government rate. With the 3rd party booking, the hotel could not adjust the rate.

Other than a little pricey, drinks and food were excellence. The view out our window was great looking at the shipyard.

• Room with City View

The room was very nice and very clean. The breakfast was nice and freshly cooked. Fruit was fresh. Staff, and workers were very nice and friendly.loved the eating area

• The Harbor View Room

I don't like that I have almost $900 in pending charges on my credit card negatively affecting my credit score. I stayed in a king room, harbor view for 1 night.

• The Harbor View Room

Advertised and reserved a smoking room. Can't smoke in building. Not at all handicap friendly. Booked room with water view. 1st room couldn't see any water, only a roof. 2nd room(45min. later) I could see water but only if I stood at wndow. Windows high so if I sat down, no water view!

Clean room

• Room with City View

Bed was low to ground and felt as if it would crack when i sat on the left side and moved and almost flipped when i sat at the end, in other words you need new beds. It was not comfortable.

Location, space in room, elegant decoration of hotel

• Room with City View

Partly slow Internet, too much staff with limited training hoovering around during breakfast (buffet), temporary noisy air conditioner, fridge was in fact freezer and not adjustable, no room cleaning on second day until my return at 14:30, breakfast not included and relatively expensive

Friendly staff, perfect view over harbor and excellent location at the promenade

• Family Room with Balcony

They need a better breakfast selection in the club room or at least a meat option. It's a continental breakfast with eggs.....however, the fruit was sweet and delicious. My only dilemma is with Booking.com. I didn't not receive the room that I booked on the website.

I like the use of the club room on the top floor. Being that it has 24 hour access, it was perfect when I needed a quick soda or cup of coffee. The valet guys were also great!

• Room with City View

The building and rooms are old. The headboards were shedding their color. The rugs were ugly, holes on the walls. It was not worth the money they charged.

The restaurants next door

Found no negatives!

Close to many day and night I'm activities. Excellent shuttle service. Very pleasant and accommodating staff. Great views from rooms and dining area.

• The Harbor View Room

I booked a harbor view room and was placed in a city view room. When I told the front desk what happen they moved me to a 4th floor harbor view room with a tree outside my window that blocked the view.

• Room with City View

there were a group of smokers gathered right at the front door. As a person with asthma, I didn't appreciate having to walk through their smoke to get into the hotel.

I liked how it was located right on the water.

• Family Room with Balcony

When I purchased from booking.com I booked a king size bed with a balcony. The hotel faces the water so I assumed I would be getting a water side view. The view faced the sign for the hotel and the balcony was so small (and concrete) that you couldn't even put a chair on it. Also, the front desk informed my husband that they didn't have a king size bed with a balcony. I paid extra (a lot of money) for something I didn't get. I was not happy, and would not recommend. Also, booking.com didn't inform us that the hotel didn't have direct parking, so we had to pay either $26 per night for valet parking or $13 to park in a parking garage and walk with our belongings to the hotel.

The room was clean. I was not satisfied with the room so the front desk allowed us to change to a different room.

WiFi

Continental buffet breakfast had a nice selection, and was all fresh. Lunch was excellent. Room was super-comfortable. WiFi was very week signal and slow in our room on 7th floor. Did not try it elsewhere.

• The Harbor View Room

This hotel is dirty, the staff inattentive, and the room was a HUGE disappointment. Our harbor view included part of a wall and a huge crane. The first photo shows what we thought we were getting. The next 3 show what we got! The room was cramped (we had the King deluxe room!) and the bathroom was very small. It is supposedly under construction, but my partner said it was under construction 3 yrs ago when he stayed there. We paid $314 for this room and it was NOT worth it whatsoever. We had to valet park the car which was another $27.50. The restaurant and bar is a joke and not at all what we were expecting for this downtown location on the water. We couldn't wait to leave!

• The Harbor View Room

We arrived they didn't have our reservation and said water front rooms available. Stayed 2 nights so attempted to change room in the morning and again nothing available. At 11:30p the air conditioner started making an awful noise that couldn't be fixed so they moved us and guess where. Into a water front king size bed room that they insisted they didn't work. Would never stay here again!!!!!

• Room with City View

The parking garage was far away, the building was under construction, there were hardly any outlets to use

The beds were extremely comfortable and the staff was so nice.

• Family Room with Balcony

They messed up my room three times while trying to check in and were unorganized i was supposed to have mini fridge and microwave with balcony view and didn't get any of these they are over priced because you don't get free parking or breakfast

• Family Room with Balcony

The rates for the night are high and does not include breakfast neither at least cereal with milk or a cup of coffee. Also, at the time of booking this hotel, they did not even mention that hotel was under renovation so it was not what you expect to see in a nice hotel. In the description, they said that parking was included and when you arrive they give you valet parking option $26 or a $8 dollar fee for parking two blocks away from the hotel. Unfortunately, I personally would not come back to this hotel. Hotel carpet was dirty as well.

The area is very nice, nice restaurants, the market next to the hotel is awesome.

• The Harbor View Room

Property is under renovation, it was a little inconvenient, entrance and exit was only thru one door, no outside seating area.

The staff is to be commended, with all the work with the renovation going on, they were very helpful. Valet parking crew was great,always ready to help with luggage and answering any questions. Resturant was small but the quality and service was excellent. All in all it was a nice stay. Will go back to see how the renovation went.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• The Harbor View Room

Lack of signage to locate temporary front desk check in counter. Was not informed of lobby and restaurant remodel. My room was stuffy and muggy from lack of ventilation. Air conditioner was on freezing cold probably to help mask moist odor; when temp turned up room was not fresh smelling. No energy-saving motion light switch in bath. No exhaust fan in bath which added to overall room mugginess after a shower. Empty, scratched and dented frig in the room was an eyesore.

Servers in the makeshift restaurant were friendly and helpful.

• Room with City View

I asked for a manager to contact me during my stay. It never happened. Actually the front desk told me that a manager would call me. My problem was never addressed. Never will I stay here again. Ever. Their cheap iron ruined a hole in a brand new dress and made me miss my son's college graduation breakfast plus I had togo to Nordstrom to buy another dress. I missed an experience that I will never get again and I am out of the cost of a dress. Ieven followed up again with the front desk at check outand was brushed off again. It is demoralizing and it really upset me. This is my first and last Sheraton Stay. They are under construction, it isold and dated right now. The carpets smell horrible. The furniture is old. The parking is a good 10 minute walk and not vonnected to the hotel. In the rain it is horrible. They could care less.

The bed was comfortable

• Room with City View

Awful stay. Being renovated but we were not told this ahead of time. Fridge removed. Missing light bulb. Breakfast cold eggs. Toaster continuously tripped circuit break er

• The Harbor View Room

Renovation and breakfast not included

The staff was professional and very friendly. Sharay and Angel at the front desk were especially helpful and represented the property well. The hotel and complex next door were all under major renovation. It would have been nice to know this impact. We will return and this was not our first visit.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• The Harbor View Room

Everything about the hotel complex. Should not have been offered on website whilst building works were in operation.

My overall rating for this hotel was very very poor. I would not recommend it to anyone as it resembles a building site whilst major refurbishment is being undertaken. However, the staff were friendly and helpful and rooms clean.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• The Harbor View Room

Could have had a lamp on the long table with the TV. Otherwise, no way to sit there and write after the sun goes down (no overhead light). Also, the light between the beds should have two "necks" and controls for differences in reading habits. And the balcony was nice except one cannot sit there, or inside and see anything. You have to stand. Maybe security reasons, but still a drawback. In addition, we were locked out of our room when we went to the dining room on our departure day. And this happened before we checked out and before the time we said we were going to check out.

View of the river. Bed.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Room with City View

The hotel feels a bit dated and used. Clearly an effort is being made to update the property, starting in the lobby. But the hallways felt dreary (lighting/wall paper), the (non-smoking) room had a slight smoke odor, and the headboards are terribly worn. The whole place could use some more TLC. I would be disappointed if we had paid more for what we got.

Friendly staff, comfortable bed, good amenities, and great location. We will still use the Sheraton for future guest visits!

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• The Harbor View Room

The rate I paid on booking was just an estimate. The hotel charged me almost $20 more a night saying I was charged the wrong rate. $24 a day to park in their garage because there is no parking lot. 2 nights ended up costing me over $350 not including meals

Close to the water and a lot of restaurants and bars

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Room with City View

A room closer to the elevators because we did not put handicap on overnight and we were sort of far away from the elevator we are 86 and 76

Very close to the train station and the shuttle took his right over I like that

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Club Guestroom

10th floor noise Fri and Sat nights, late night rebel rousing - also some folks staying/using the facilities seemed to be not paying persons and friends of the management - security was called Sat night with drunken yelling going on.

10th floor club continental breaksfast and late pm fare was outstanding and saved $$. Room was kept very clean. Hotel is super close to all Norfolk attractions and easy distance to VaBeach.

• Room with City View

The Parking options are nice. You can pay for valet parking during the stay or you can self park using a fixed overnight price that is added to your bill at check in.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

• Room with City View

I didn't get an invoice since, according to the staff,I booked not directly with the hotel but with booking.com.

Confortable room. Very kind personnel.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• The Harbor View Room

Booking reservations was incorrectly spelled but RHunter went above and beyond to correct the issue and we had a room in no time! Waterside Sheraton Rocks see y'all in Jan!

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• Executive Floor Guest Room

The parking arrangements, the private lounge didn't have much so it was not at all worth the extra money didn't have much snacks after breakfast hours didn't have much of a variety for breakfast. I would not get the private lounge again. Unfortunately the ships on the harbour ruin the view along with no lighting on the harbour to see at night.

Very comfortable bed and restroom set up.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

the A/C didn't work very well. It was really hot

the harbor lights and blue moon marathon were perfectly convenient and the manager gave us a late check out which worked out great

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Room with City View

What I didn't like was that they was sanding the walls and the dust particulars where flying everywhere. Well my Fiancée has asthma and had to go to the hospital when we left. They never called us back to follow up on it.

What I liked is that the bed was soft and I really appreciate the staff helping us with directions.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• The Harbor View Room

It was my GF Birthday, so we were there to celebrate! Got a noise complaint, we wasn't even loud and it wasn't even 8pm. We had only been there 30 mins..... We had waterside view, but no balcony with our room.... Otherwise beautiful! Would LOVE to stay again

Beautiful Hotel! Great Location and Friendly Staff

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Room with City View

The gym was small, the pool was closed. Breakfast was not included in my deal so I have no idea how it was. However, 5-10 minutes walking distance there is a diner with north american breakfasts (steak and eggs, etc.). Also nearby many restaurants (sushi, brazilian, indian, mexican, etc.

The location of the hotel is perfect. It is very close to the downtown Norfolk. The huge Macarthur Shopping Mall is just 5-10 minutes walking distance. By the river and overlooking to the docks where you can see few warships all the time. Second world war battleship Wisconsin is also five-ten minutes walking distance.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• The Harbor View Room

My wife didn't like the bed. Parking should have been free for what you pay for the room and how far you have to go to get to your car.

The breakfast was excellent. Resturant staff was OUTSTANDING (Hostess, Waitress and the Chef). Location was good. I would stay again. The little workout room was great. Add a Sauna or Steam room. Great View of the Harbor.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Room with City View

The bed was creeky and lumpy The parking/valet/entrance had poor signage and was difficult to navigate in the dark and rain

The staff was very helpful when my cat was stuck under the bed

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Room with City View

the valet was o pricy a night , it should be 1 time fee . the staff did not deliver items correctly to room service . I expected more for the price as far as quality

desert was good

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Room with City View

parking at hotel was pricey so the option was parking across the way in a separate garage for a fraction of what the hotel charged..a bit of an inconvenience..no continental breakfast..no in room mini-fridge..city views but no water view at least from our room..maybe not as pictured in ad..but we came to visit our daughter and to ride bike trails so room mostly just to shower and sleep

it was a decent place and the staff was friendly..there was no "breakfast included" but several reasonable "buffet" options in their restaurant where the food and service was great

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Executive Floor Guest Room

Parking is not convenient and valet is expensive. And the service in the on-site restaurant 30 minutes before closing was horrible - the staff was more focused on closing and going home than seating us and taking our order. I was so taken aback that we ordered our food to go instead of enjoying the ambience of the restaurant and possibly ordering drinks from the bar.

Convenient location

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• The Harbor View Room

The room was in need of renovation. The curtains, carpet and bathroom were old, worn and badly cleaned. Most annoyingly the bathroom ceiling leaked when the people in the room upstairs used their shower.

The staff were friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• The Harbor View Room

Our room was on the ground floor. It was dark and generally felt worn. There was so much dust and animal fur under the bed, that I would not allow my dog to wander under there. The mattress was actually threadbare in some spots around the corners ( I investigate hotel rooms pretty thoroughly when I check in). There were lots of attractive wood shelves in the room and even the bathroom, but they were really dusty. There was black stuff growing in between the tiles--I just felt like the place needed a more thorough cleaning. The bed was not comfortable at all--it felt like I was laying in my parents old bed with body prints worn into it.

The person who checked us in was amazing. He is responsible for the top marks we gave in the staff category. And, one or two other staff members followed his lead. On the other hand, the majority of the staff that we interacted with could be described as lackluster, timid, distracted, and even annoyed. The area surrounding the hotel was wonderful. We walked our dog more frequently than necessary to enjoy the surroundings. The room was spacious and convenient for our 19lb dog. The facilities are really nice, but just slightly past their prime.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• The Harbor View Room

We only had alittle toilet paper and it was real dusty in room but overall it was ok

Ireally like the valet guys ,they were really nice..also the front desk clerk was nice..also im glad i got the free valet parkingn

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• The Harbor View Room

I booked it from a referral from the local hospital where my mother in law was a patient. I was told there was a special rate but was not given the rate because I booked it not the hospital. It cost me 100.00 more than it should have

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Room with City View

We are an older couple and we like firm beds for sleeping! Wish we could have moved to waterside room since they had some available.

Everyone at front desk staff was very nice and professional! Evening manager was nice.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Room with City View

no one changed our sheets for our entire stay. The housekeeping staff did clean our room for one of the days. I had to ask the front desk for clean sheets, and had to change them myself.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• Executive Floor Guest Room

Facilities need to be upgraded. Older hotel needs to be modernized. Microwave & refrigerator would be greatly appreciated

I liked the location & the staff were very friendly & professional

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• The Harbor View Room

Lack of microwave in room. (Just a preference. One is available in club room.)

Spent 3 nights. Wonderful harbor view (city view isn't bad), clean comfortable room (thought about taking bed home with us), accommodating staff, individual A/C units and no musty smell (nor in whole facility) . Small frig in room. Concierge floor well worth it to us because of club room. Plenty to do within walking distance. Left car in garage the whole time. Free transportation around downtown area if needed on F.R.E.D.

• The Harbor View Room

There was nothing that I didn't like about my stay

The bed was very comfortable. I requested the Harbor View and it was perfect.

• The Harbor View Room

It was dirty and the breakfast was terrible!!! Plates dirty and food with hairs

• The Harbor View Room

The parking was a long walk from the hotel.

The location was the main reason for selecting this hotel.

• Executive Floor Guest Room

The price was high per night

Location, easy to get to

• Room with City View

Parking for handicap...why not closer to entrance without the daily high fee?

Great location...room exceptionally clean...the bed soooo comfortable.

Pillows gave me headaches

Location was great

• Room with City View

the bathroom fixtures needed repair

the bed was perfect

• Room with City View

We stayed at the Va Beach Sheraton the night before. We thought it was better in terms of value for your money. This one was overpriced.

• Room with City View

No breakfast option possible during booking

Everything was great.

They had Starbucks coffee in the room. The beds were awesome plenty of pillows.

• Room with City View

The water in the tub wasn’t draining properly

• The Harbor View Room

Was in town for a wedding. Excellent. Newly renovated room.

The staff

• The Harbor View Room

Nothing. Everything was exceptional.

Our room was beautiful and comfortable. The view was breathtaking. I didn't want to leave.....

I had to wait 45 mins past my check in time for a room to be ready

No problems

The good smelling when I walked in

• Executive Floor Guest Room

Room was never cleaned and bath tub would not drain.

• Room with City View

Tub and shower needed a deep/clean and/or regrouting. It looked very dirty.

Bed and bedding were extremely comfortable. Food was amazing.

Need to be renew