Reviews of Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel 3 stars

625 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301, USA

#15 of 29 hotels in Palo Alto

We will be there again!

The bathroom needs: a rubber mat in the shower(a must!)and shower cap. The shower control was complicated: try it before you get in the shower.

The scrambled eggs were divine.The Caipirinha, a Brazilian cocktail was superb!!!!!!! The staff was fantastic! I am an insomniac and I slept the whole night: the bed was lovely. Perfect hotel to stay if you are attending the Stanford games.

Fantastic stay. One of the best hotel experiences I've had, great value.

Bathroom was exceptional. Bed was comfortable. Beautiful furnishings. Pool area was awesome. Live music at night. Walking distance to downtown palo alto.

Bedding was superb.

I a hard time seeing in my room and I had to keep the curtains closed the entire time because I was on the ground floor and was looking into the other rooms. Room was far from parking making it tough to roll my suitcase on the carpet.

Bedding was superb.

Great rooms.
    • Garden View Room

The guest laundry is too small. Only one laundry machine and one dryer. Safety is also an issue as is quite easy to go directly from the street to the rooms area without any control.

Bed was great. The room in general is excellent. The buildings look a bit old but beautiful as well as the gardens. Nice detail the fish on the pond. Need renewal outside the bedrooms but it seems they are working on that. I believe I would stay again.

The billing to our room was incorrect.

The billing to our room was incorrect. Charged us twice for one dinner . Used my debit card from my bank for dinner then was also charged to the room . Desk did not resolve .

Beautiful!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff working Starbucks stand on Monday around 11 am wasn't very polite to my 9 year old daughter & 12 yr old niece. I didn't appreciate our kids experiencing bad attitude from a staff.

Excellent customer service. I had a problem with a fixture in the shower. It was immediately taken care off.

Excellent hotel and location; great value for money
    • Garden View Room

We arrived late in the evening after a long haul flight and staff kindly upgraded us to a bigger room. Great location and excellent breakfast. Best value for money and will definitely stay there next time.

Location, helpful staff, good breakfast and overall a great...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bath door would get stuck but since they had upgraded us and the view from balcony was good we stayed in the same room for the whole stay.

Location, helpful staff, good breakfast and overall a great experience. Definitely will come back -

The location was perfect.

I wish the parking was not so expensive. I wish there was a Stanford student discount.

The location was perfect. The room was clean and the hotel is perfect for a short stay.

The most disappointing and overpriced stay I’ve had in the US.
    • Club Room

We ordered a Club room, which was expensive. The room was nothing like the pictures though. It was a low quality adjoining twin room rather than the single large double bed requested. No mini bar and only one chair in the room even though there two of us, again unlike the pictures. A bit like living in a conference centre. Breakfast wasn’t nice, the bread was stale etc. I’m actually not generally a fussy person but for an expensive room was very disappointed. The staff were generally pleasant but their didn’t seem anyone experienced around so we also had a hassle checking out.

The pool area was nice for a drink in the evening.

The staff overall was very friendly.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The young woman that did are pre check in seemed annoyed that I asked for an early check-in when we arrived at 1:30

The staff overall was very friendly. It was nice that the staff at the breakfast remembered us from a previous stay and asked about our grandsons

Great Experience Overall

Staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect, walking distance from University Avenue and Stanford University. The room was big and comfortable. Bathroom is renewed. Live music at the pool area, complementary rosemary cookies and ice tea were very nice. We truly enjoyed our stay, nothing to complain about! We would stay here if we visit Palo Alto again

Good location, next to Palo Alto city center and to Stanford...

The common space needs renovation

Good location, next to Palo Alto city center and to Stanford Uni. Nice heated pool for early mornings swim. Comfortable bed. Clean.

I liked the very comfortable beds, but it kind a squeak when...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I found a lot if dust up on closet. Need to clean.

I liked the very comfortable beds, but it kind a squeak when making heavy movement, if you know what I mean.

The room (king;

$20 to self-park seems very expensive to me. I expect that downtown in a big city, but not here, where they have a big parking lot.

The room (king; non-smoking) was a good size, comfortable and clean.

Got a complimentary upgrade upon check-in.

Even in our upgraded room, the shower in the bathroom was almost impossible to use since the shower curtain hang so close to the wall there was very little space to maneuver in. Very surprised the Sheraton has the guts to rent something like this. We booked at half-price (and free upgrade), but otherwise would feel very cheated.

Got a complimentary upgrade upon check-in.

This was the perfect place for an overnight stay to rest and relax.

It is a little strange that restaurant/bar area is so close to the pool. I like a little more separation.

Room service was great! Food was good and the service was awesome.

My quick overnight was just fine! Thank you for asking.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bed was very comfortable, the pillows fluffy. The Starbuck's coffee this morning was easy to make and hit the spot! My quick overnight was just fine! Thank you for asking.

Staff and service were rude, hotel is beautiful and clean, great rates
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was sooo condescending unwelcoming and rude! I was extremely disappointed in all but one gentlemen and the valet was never at their place. They were not good

I enjoyed the pool, I loved the town and scenery, the resultants around the area and we attended the farmers market and it was amazing.

Excellent location (walking distance to downtown).

The roads in that area are a bit wonky with several 4 leaf clover intersections and Google Maps dumped me into the BACK of the hotel. No hot tub by the pool or bath tub in the room. If you are sensitive to noise, request a room away from the elevator. You have to pay for parking.

Excellent location (walking distance to downtown). Great poolside area with comfy lounge chairs. Mini-fridge and Starbucks coffee in the room. Cold AC!

Absolutely FANTASTIC!

It was in a beautiful location, beautiful property, they upgraded are room with a beautiful garden view and waterfall. Bed was super comfortable, room was clean and flat screen TV was huge. Lots of cable channels to chose from. The shower was amazing as well. Lots of extra towels, pillows etc. We had a refrigerator. We forgot toothpaste and the brought us some complimentary to are room. We also had Starbucks in the room. Super excellent experience. One more thing, we had Tuxti restaurant deliver us pizza to are room. Amazing.

I stayed here for a convention at Stanford.

I stayed here for a convention at Stanford. Conveniently located, when I booked it was $200 after tax but was reduced from over $500, this was a great deal staying with this price. Great place to stay, room was clean and the staff was all friendly.

Big let down and nickel and dimed me.
    • Garden View Room

I booked a two bed room the front office asked me to provoke it with a email saying so. It did not say two rooms so the said I had booked a room with a king. So with a large group and children we had only one bed. Terrible. Might not come back after 3 yrs on a row coming here.

Generally good but that one incident was enough to make me rethink staying there again even though i
    • Deluxe Club Room

Very poor service when we arrived. No bell service. Had to ask twice and go inside to desk to get someone. Even after we checked in. I’m in a wheel chai r and found this Very irritating as well as downright rude. They left my wife to unload the car by herself! Inexcusable. The staff was very polite and pleasant other than that one incident.

Bed fantastic as well as the food and food service!;

The hotel was set up like a resort which was a nice surprise.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was loud at night.

The hotel was set up like a resort which was a nice surprise. It was great that we could get food until pretty late in the night.

Nice place but overpriced and fell short of our expectations

Room was much smaller than it looked online. Parking fee was excessive and there was no hot tub as part of the pool facilities

The grounds and quiet room. Bathroom was nice but poor water pressure.

Misleading as front desk was not able to switch credit card...

Misleading as front desk was not able to switch credit card charge etc no info as to when check out u need a card to leavings the property ( hassle to return to FO etc) as we were checking out the rep was talking to coworker instead to give us a receipt the other rep did remind him that he need to take care of us before engage into other ...

Room was very clean

I was not informed that they charge you $20.00 a day for parking on top of what you pay for the room. They should state that on there booking you should not have to go to hotel Policies it should be on the cost of the hotel. Was not happy about it

It was a very comfortable, and relaxing stay tho I had. I got the rest that I needed!

There was not anything that I did not like.

I often come to this place just to relax and get away from home a little bit. I have never been disappointed!!!!👍

Nice but not quite the quality I'd expect for the price.

Room appeared to have not been dusted properly in a couple of dats, an overall lack of attention to detail. Rooms inconsistently supplied between first and second room.

Easy checking, excellent service from staff, comfortable and restful nights sleep.

Setting on aircon/heater would not keep same temperature. Would either cool or keep heating. No automatic mode only heat or cool. Would have liked having slippers in the room as the tiled area in front of the door or bathroom is cold.

Service from staff,

Wonderful and accommodating staff.

There was a loud sound that randomly came from the fridge. It wasn’t just an appliance hum. It was so late at night that I didn’t have the energy to report. Experience almost perfect except for this. Also, no option for a bathtub. Tricky when you have small ones.

Wonderful and accommodating staff. Dominico at the desk is a great example of superb customer service. I was stressing about a few last minute issues, and he made everything so easy. Truly appreciated. The room service staff was also so polite and helpful. Very impressed. Great location. Some great dinner dishes from the Poolside Grill, and made amends when some things were not available. Decent room service breakfast.

Great place to stay when visiting Stanford
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Leakage and wet carpet near bathroom. Small area. Minor so I notified management after our stay

Awesome free breakfast with smoked salmon and made to order breakfast. Super comfy bed

An overall ok stay if you plan to visit Stanford University.

My room is pretty noisy. I can hear the trains pass by during the stay. Curtains are very thin and lights will pass through when sun rises. During the last day of my stay, I was trying to stay in the room in the morning to get some work done. But the workers were working on something and they kept banging and hammering outside of my window. Could not stand the noises and had to check-out early.

Location is good. A 20-min walk from Stanford University main court and a 15-min walk from shopping center. Room is large and staff are friendly.

Miss Irene the receptionist at the front desk was such a warm, caring, phenomenal human being.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I wasnt able to stay longer;-

The bed and the pillows were like perfect for a wonderful night rest. I will be seeking to duplicate them in my home. The atmosphere so desirable for a tired soul.

It was just okay.

Train runs right behind hotel, housekeeping was the worst. They have no consideration for the guests, flailing their buckets around hitting the walls, talking very loudly, doing this all between 730 and 800 AM. Food was a little expensive.

Clean room, clean bathroom, room service was good. It had all the necessary amenities.

A very pleasant and comfortable stay!😊

Hotel is very close to Stanford Hospital. Staff was very friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable. Also hotel is located close to great shopping and dining. Looking forward to staying there again.

Very enjoyable relaxing getaway

Nothing! It was perfect!!

All the staff was very nice. Went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Free hot chocolate and they had some chimichangas and veggies and cheese for guests at no charge.

My BOOKING.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

My BOOKING.com reservation said breakfast was included but that didn't transfer over to the hotel. Once I brought it up to the staff and showed them my booking confirmation they were very accommodating.

Fantastic Location for Stanford, and Palo Alto Downtown... & Excellent Staff and Service!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location is fantastic, but due to the quirk of roads, driving into the facility could be confusing. But one gets used to it in a day or so!

Right on University Avenue and El Camino Real - the two arteries of Palo Alto - an excellent location if one plans to be in Palo Alto for leisure or business. Fantastic staff, and I enjoyed the stay very very much; our children loved it too.

clean & comfortable, but...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Tried to tune in to Warriors game in room—blacked out! Only available in noisy bar area...couldn’t hear game as sound turned off for music playing. Was not prepared to have to sit in a public noisy bar to see the game! Very disappointing! Also, no breakfast option available.

Great shower! Nice bedding/pillows, comfortable bed. Starbucks coffee in room. Very nice staff at reception and in bar area. Cookies/coffee in lobby.

Thank you to Sheraton for treating my toddler like royalty, rather than a nuisance!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Elevator access from all rooms isn’t the best.

When we arrived they gave my two-year-old a Christmas bear stuffed animal and a toy. She was overjoyed!

I had a glorious view of absolutely nothing but tarps and scaffolding
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The tub was very slippery and my wife who is a cancer patient slipped and fell and hit her head and shoulder and chest the tubs long incline was very slippery causing her to fall and the staff just basically blew it off. Thanks

It was close to Stanford and the food was good

Great location for the ND game.
    • Garden View Room

Too much renovation going.

A lot of renovation on the property. The first night someone was smoking and it could be smelt in my room. Property did do a good job of following up and checking it out. They even called the next day. I had also asked for 2 beds but they stated once I got there that my reservation was for a king. I have my old reservation and I did put down 2 beds.

Overall a good experience. I would stay again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The mattresses were a little hard and as such I did not sleep well. The construction at the facility I never heard but perhaps it was because it was the weekend.

The staff was very friendly and attentive. The mattresses were good but alittle hard. There was consturction and scaffolding at the site but I never heard anything, perhaps it was because it was the weekend. The location of the hotel for Stanford football game is excellent with walking distance to the stadium. Parking was easy to get in and out of the parking lot.

Central location in Palo Alto, but very loud if you're adjacent to the rail. Under construction.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room was adjacent to the railway line so it was loud starting at 6:00am. The room was clean and decent but rather tired. To be fair, the building was under renovation.

Great location, walking distance restaurants, shops, Stanford, Stanford Medical

Disappointed.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I requested a quiet room when i checked in and I got the opposite (nothing to do with the construction at the hotel). Housekeepers were very loud in the corridors early in the morning! I had to carry my three heavy bags to the car after waiting for help for a good 15mins. Disappointed this time. My previous stay at the hotel was very satisfactory.

Location is great.

Poor

Parking and Noise when neighbors come in and go out due to door slamming. You may want have door closers to reduce noise. Breakfast could be organized better.

Shower

it was ok
    • Garden View Room

They charged for parking and half the parking was unavailable. Also one of the exits did not work. The first room they gave me was awful but was given a better room.

beds were nice. The first room was awful but was given a nicer/better room.

Nice place with unfortunate location of train
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Public train runs all night blowing horn and ringing bell...wakes you up all night Heater smelled so bad you couldn’t use Also undergoing renovation

Clean and quiet in hotel Staff seemed complacent...

Bed was the most uncomfortable bed during our whole trip and...

Bed was the most uncomfortable bed during our whole trip and we stayed at everything from hostels to Rodeway inns to the sheraton. The Sheraton was one of the more expensive nights and the bed was stiff and hard.

Would stay again

Noise of others in the hallway. No hotel etiquette was seen. Not sure if it was guests or staff but it was very late and woke us up.

The room was great.

Beautiful hotel grounds at a great price for the location

Room service included upcharges for delivery and "room service tax" (not a sales tax). Perhaps the second charge is required by local government?

Beautiful grounds, nice bathroom, comfortable bed.

Total waste of money and lack of sleep

The rooms are fairly basic and are in need of renovation. The rooms ar the back of the hotel overlook the Caltrain which goes past every 15 minutes all day and most of the night. The hotel has not bothered to put sound insulation on the windows and you may as well have no window at all. Trains also ring bells and hoot so sleep is not easy. The restaurant is under renovation so not the best. Rates were extortionate. Paid $450 a night which did not include breakfast or car park. I would expect slightly better facilities for this price.

It is close to Palo Alto but that does not necessarily make it a good location unless you like trains.

I wouldn't stay here again unless changes are significant.
    • Garden View Room

When booking I noted our preference was for a room with two double beds. Nothing was said by the staff when I checked in, but we found we had a king bed upon entering the room. I called the front desk and they brought us key cards to a room with two double beds. Since they had it available, why wasn't my booking preference honored to initially? I ordered eggs over easy from room service, and received scrambled. My room card didn't open the outside door by the parking lot when returning on the second day, so I went to the front desk to have the card re-coded and the staff person asked me if I was SURE it didn't work. How rude! I wouldn't have walked across the property to the office if the key card had worked! We vacated the room one day from 10:45 to 2:30, and still the room hadn't been cleaned upon our return. We were then resting upon our return and settled for minimal cleaning (trash and coffee resupply). The signage to find our room wasn't easy, and when we asked for directions on the first day, one of the staff sneered that it was down a hall, which we couldn't see from where we were standing. Pool is small and crowded. There was a loud party down the hall on the second night. Really?!?!

Overall the stay was good.

The air conditioner in the room was super loud. The room was next to the train tracks but since the air conditioner was so loud it cancelled out the train. I would not recommend this room if you spend a lot of time in it since it has no view and is directly next to the gym. It did not quiet feel like a Sheraton.

The staff at check in was very friendly and up-beat. The room was super clean. We had a little trouble finding the light switches for the room .Room service was very fast and friendly even at 10:00 pm.

Breakfast buffet was fine.
    • Garden View Room

Restaurant was undergoing renovation and no dinner was available. We were unaware of this until we arrived and had to eat next-door. Noisy on first day due to construction. High step to back entrance of hotel from parking lot required lifting luggage rather than using wheels.

Breakfast buffet was fine. Staff was friendly.

Great location but no value for money
    • Club Room

They charge 18US$ for parking + low value for money + Some of the Staff are not nice at all + you have to go get coupons for breakfast which is a hassle while other hotels: just say the room number.

Pleased.

. My room was located in the back of the hotel and parallel to the tracks of CalTrain which ran until 11pm-?

It was close to Stanford where I am a participant in a research study. I didn't like the fact I had to pay $18 for parking

Excellent location und ad for the.... Westin
    • Garden View Room

It was not easy to find a parking spot... as some westin ( hotel close by) westin employees could be seen on the property, and part of the hotel could not be occupied, since it was being renovated, our guess was that part of the parking places had been rented to the westin... it would be nice though, if the number of rented spots would not exceed the number of spots available. Further it was a bit quaint/funny to see the sheraton employees wearing commercial t-shirt with the stanford university logo (as tourists would do) while the westin employees had a proper company outfit. Probably best to stay at the westin for a more conventional service, then?

The location is great. The swimming pool size is decent if one wants to swim early in the morning ( it is a playground during the day). This being said.... We arrived late at about midnight to learn that they did not have the room we had booked ( a bed was missing). It took more than an hour to get to the room with an add-on bed. The next day the situation was solved but this was not a pleasant start. A voucher for the restaurant was mentionned but never handed out. We guess as the restaurant was closed, well it was a lip-service. Weird.

I loved my stay, inhouse ordering was fabulous❣️
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I loved everything about my stay at the Sheraton in Palo Alto.

I had a room service steak dinner that was absolutely fabulous! The steak was cooked perfectly to my liking, and the wine😘

Perfect location for visiting Stanford!
    • Garden View Room

Beds are too firm for me. A little noisy in mornings due to construction remodeling.

Perfect location, great staff, wonderful if you get one of newly remodeled rooms! Lovely water garden adds to ambience... absolutely wonderful and safe to walk to local town n country shopping center... and Stanford campus

Average
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Service by staff was great but they made a mistake a few times on morning call, not sending what I requested to the room.

The front staff managed to put me in the same room throughout my stay although I booked the whole duration over multiple bookings.

Not clean. Noisy. Aged property.
    • Club Room

Large water spot (1-foot diameter) in ceiling, likely result of a recent leak. Whole room's carpet was damp and filthy. One restaurant on site shared as pool service -> slow service for sit-down meals.

Close to Stanford. Staff is generally pleasant and helpful.

No good service, poor breakfast...
    • Garden View Room

The room was smelly.., the room servise didnt explain that the breakfast was not included, and on the morning, we went to eat, the breakfast was poor.. And costed about 34 dollars... For very poor breakfast..

I liked the place and closeness to Stanford...

A conveniently located hotel in Palo Alto, slowly being updated. Great start with bathrooms!
    • Garden View Room

Hotel is quite run down, which however adds to the casual charm for the most part. The sound proofing does not exist, especially in windows which are single pane of glass.

Great bacon for breakfast. Good layout of the property and rooms. Retrofitted bathrooms.

Great choice for visiting Stanford University
    • Garden View Room

Parts of the hotel are upgraded (like our room) and some parts are tired. However, the excellent service makes up for the parts of the hotel that need remodeling.

The staff at the Sheraton was top notch! We were there for Stanford's graduation weekend, and they were not only ready for a rush of people, but they created a celebratory environment. They handed out Stanford tee-shirts and water bottles. They had champagne, cheese and crackers in the lobby upon our arrival. They had a schedule of special bbq items by the pool and a steel drum player as well. They did an excellent job making us feel welcome and celebrated!!

Expensive but pleasant
    • Deluxe Club Room

Unfortunately my coffee maker did not work and while not a big issue, my room had a regular tub, not one with jets that was advertised.

I loved the fact that there was a balcony so I could sit and enjoy the fresh air. The seating area near the pond was beautiful.

No free parking

At the time of my original online booking, no mention was made of the fact that there was no free parking--it coast 18 dollars per day, adding signficantly to the cost of the room.. Advertising was misleading!!!

Best night stay EVER!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room looked amazing! The best stay experience I've had. The bed was soo soft and fluffy, & the bathroom/shower was very nice! Friendly staff, very accommading!

Should be reported to health dept......nasty
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The agism that was applied to me and my friend. The bed was wet with urine when I got in it, the staff I implied that one of us wet the bed and that ailing seniors often have Accidents. I doubt this would have been said of a 30 year old person. We were very offended. They did comp our room and breakfast but a urine soaked mattress was way over get top.

Not much, bed was filled with someone else's wet urine

Very nice if you get a good rate
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

You have to use your key to get in and out of the room. I left my key in the room to leave and the call boxes to the desk did not work. I was almost late for work trying to get out of the parking lot. Also, our room rate was great for that night. Any other day it's over 400$ a night. If rates vary that much I think they are price gouging.

Mini fridge in the room. Quiet and comfy room.

Great staff, disappointing hotel.

Our first room smelled overwhelmingly like sweat. It was at the point that we could barely breathe in the room. We were transferred to a room across the hall after telling the desk. The second room still smelled, but smelled more like stagnant water. The hallways smelled musty as well. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, almost as if someone had just put a comforter on top of a box spring, and the pillows provided nearly no support, and the decor was rather drab and outdated compared to the bathrooms.

Staff was very helpful. The bathrooms were really nice, the area was very pretty and we had a view of the water garden. They offered us a free breakfast due to our first room smelling so bad, but the breakfast needs more vegan options.

We enjoyed the convenience of having our room located on the...

We found that the complementary toiletries in the bathroom was lacking. There was shampoo & conditioner and a small soap for the shower and sink. We expected a little more for example, a shower cap and maybe body lotion?

We enjoyed the convenience of having our room located on the ground floor with easy access to the pool and eating area. The bed & pillows were very comfortable!

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Very nice place to stay for a Stanford Visit

No complaints.

It is a very clean place. Everybody was happy to help you and make you feel comfortable. Bar is open until 11:30 pm (very convenient for a drink before sleeping). I had breakfast in two different days. Buffet was fairly OK but the service was excellent, all these people made feel like home. The hotel is very close from Stanford, I walked 10 minutes to Medical School when Uber-ing took 5 minutes and costed about 5 dollars.