Reviews of Shula's Hotel & Golf Club 3 stars

6842 Main Street, Miami Lakes, FL 33014, USA

#2 of 5 hotels in Miami Lakes

A bowl of mixed nuts
    • Deluxe Double Room

The condition of the room - hair all over the bathroom floor. Only one tiny bar is soap for two people Midget coffee machine Pillows were flat like pancakes A BIG POSITIVE - there was a BIBLE in a drawer. Thank you for bucking the trend of keeping God out of the rooms

The place was pleasant

Overall a great place. We will return.

Bed was a little bit uncomfortable...sagged in the middle.

The property was great! Loved the staff, food and sports bar. Our room was very spacious. Beautiful pool and landscaping.

Beds were comfortable
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

Water was too hot, curtains were coming off of rods, asked for a disability room and didn’t get one, asked for the second floor but got the bottom floor, neighbor was loud and profane. Room overall did not meet my expectations.

Beds were comfortable

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Breakfast was great, though I would never pay $15 for it.

Check in. One person at the desk at 5 on a Saturday. Not a good way to do business. The young man at the desk was kind and courteous.

Breakfast was great, though I would never pay $15 for it. It was comped. Clean, large, yet cozy room. The grounds and area are lovely.

Location good. Beds comfy. Room location and noise level not good at all!

Room location. In wing by Ballroom parking lot view :( Rooms are not at all sound proof! People came from party and it was like they were in our room talking (they were in hallway). At 1 AM asked front desk to send someone to ask them to please move into their room to chat - no one came.

Beds were comfy, housekeeping staff was nice

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

I would still go back, when I have a visit in the area scheduled.

One of the ice makers on the floor was out of order, and initially the staff told me (I find that rude) to go to another floor or another wing to get ice, when I came down to inform them that the ice-maker is not working and to fill-in my bucket with ice from one of the restaurants they have.

The staff was very friendly and responded quickly. The location is very nice, and well located.

This is a beautiful hotel with large rooms and 2 double beds.

This is a beautiful hotel with large rooms and 2 double beds. Shopping area is right next to the hotel and has awesome restaurants and adequate parking.

The hotel and location amazing

The air conditioning couldn’t been better... it felt pretty warm in the room. Made it worse because it was so hot outside

The hotel and location amazing

Awesome value

There is nothing not to like about this hotel.

This is a great hotel, with excellent facilities and a very good bar and restaurant. If you want to stay in or near Miami Lakes you can’t do any better. The location is fabulous.

Overall stay was great!
    • Deluxe Double Room

The hallway AC unit on the second floor as you get off of the elevator are not working.. Please fix ICE machine on the second floor in the vending area..

My 11yr. Old daughter had a sleep over there, she and her friends had a great experience, we had lots of space.. I thought the room had a great balcony view.

I was good

Lack of adequate security. There was a woman yelling and cursing not too far from my room. I called the front desk to report it. When security came up I heard whoever was at the front desk give my room number as the person who reported it. If I could hear it so could others. I felt unsafe from then on.

The locations. Walking distance to lot's of shops and super market

Good comfortable bed.

Used to staying at Hilton properties. Shula's did not have a microwave in the room, no coffee available in the lobby on a 24 hour badis, and no towels at the pool.

Good comfortable bed. Great, quiet location.

It was ok

The room was quite small and dark and I woke up with backache because of the too soft mattress. We found some of the reception staff unhelpful. The day we wanted to use the Spa and Golf Course (Monday), they were both closed.

The French Patisserie connected to the hotel, where the staff were friendly and caring, and the breakfast options were plentiful and very reasonably priced. The pool area was lovely and clean and quiet.

Great place to stay for the value.

Constantly finding long hairs in my room ( I don't have long hair). The bathroom sink faucets leak and you can tell they've been leaking for a while (rust). Really disappointed with the breakfast buffet. It's an option if needed (the wait staff is awesome). There's a very nice bakery next to the hotel with much better options. If you're willing to walk ( I don't rent a car) there's a great Cuban restaurant 3/4 of a mile from the hotel that's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My last stay dinner was lack luster at the hotel (Shula's 2) , so I ventured to other options within walking distance of the hotel and didn't bother eating at the hotel this trip.

Second stay at Shula's for business. There's plenty of places within walking distance of the hotel (food, shopping, etc.). This stay, my room rating is a 3. Staff is very friendly and outgoing. Hotel grounds are well maintained. Very close to main roads and highways.

Awesome bed with an even better scenery with awesome things to do to have the staff be the best

On the website you should specify at what age you could get a hotel because I thought being over 18 was okay but it wasn’t over all that was the only issue I had

The bed was amazing the view was even better. The staff was friendly and joked with me a little bit honestly it was just a great environment

Overall not a happy stay
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

Check in @ 4pm is ridiculous. We were exhausted from the flight and did not deserve this. The cleaning crew would not bring us toilet paper. Ate breakfast at the steakhouse and the waitress was not friendly and did not provide us with a second cup of coffee. Cleaning crew did not service our room and left a note that we had do not disturb sign which was not true. The beds were uncomfortable and we were itching all night.

We stayed at the hotel while getting ready for our wedding.
    • Superior King Room

We stayed at the hotel while getting ready for our wedding. The staff was great.... they took our picture in their beautiful gardens. The older gentleman that was the valet/ bell hop was so accommodating & full of helpful information.

Fine for our overnight stay. I thought decor would be more modern with a football type theme.

We stayed at Shula’s because it was the closest hotel to Hard Rock stadium where we attended the Eagles/Jimmy Buffet concert. The hotel is about 8 miles from stadium ( I thought it was about 3). Took a cab which was fine. The hotel was a bit “tired”.. needs an update but was clean & the food good. Overall, fine overnight stay but not for a vacation.

Driving from the SW coast of Fl, the drive was easy & accessed SR 826 (Palmetto Expressway) to drive north with no problems.

OK, but did not meet advertised expectations.

Rooms were a bit dated. Restaurants were under staffed and slow/did not want to charge to the room. Advertising was misleading-golf course and spa were not on the property as photos showed on web site. An additional $40 was charged to my credit card even though by receipt at checkout is $40 less.

Bed was comfortable. Staff was very friendly.

The staff was very helpful and the hotel was comfortable and clean
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

Seems hotel has a towel shortage so we had to order towels almost every day- We would use the towels for the pool and would then have to order fresh ones for the shower- It would be better if they would just have some pool towels that way we could continue to re-use.

Bed was comfortable and overall room was great too.

Disappointing. Really did not live up to reputation. The only good thing we’re the shops nearby.

Monica at the front desk was rude and disrespectful. They are unprofessional and unfriendly at the front desk. It seems to be an ongoing problem with them. The shower was clean but needed upkeep. The pool was very small.

I liked the shops nearby and the breakfast at Shula2. However, I could have just driven up there for that and then just gone home.

Disappointed

Soap was open in the bathroom so bathroom wasn't cleaned. Staff wouldn't pick up the phone if you called from the room. I had to call in from my cell phone to get unused soap.

Just okay

There was soap open in the shower which means and it's never cleaned. Front desk wouldn't pick up the phone if you called from the room. I had to call from my cell phone into the hotel for someone to pick up.

Exceed my expectations..!!

Breakfast buffet was okay. Lots of other places surrounding the hotel if your willing to walk a mile.

The hotel is surrounded by shops and dining places well within walking distance. It's like a little community within the hotel. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Didn't get a chance to use the pool or exercise room, but they looked nice. The grounds and facility were nice. Very surprised and happy with the hotel. We moved our office to Miami Gardens area and this will be my go to hotel when I need to fly in for business.

Excellent stay.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The property is gorgeous. Bed was very comfortable and room was a nice size. I would stay there again. Loved being next to the street mall.

Very nice room in a great location but the grounds were shabby and the breakfast mediocre.

The room was really nice but the grounds were shabby. The breakfast buffet was hardly better than a Shoney's though the omlette off the menu was very good. The waiter was also terrific.

I enjoyed my stay at Shula. I will definetly choose this hotel again.
    • Junior King Suite

The pillows on the bed was very uncomfortable. A lot of walking involved to get to your room. The food menu is very limited.

The food was excellent. The staff was friendly. The place was extremely clean.

• Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom could you use updating. There was a barking dog two rooms away. It was barking all night security went to the room and didn’t even open it to make sure no one was hurt.

The location was perfect for visiting families.

Location is very good close to everything, rooms are big,...
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

I would recommend since the rooms are big having to kig size beds instead of queen size.

Location is very good close to everything, rooms are big, parking is free.

The size of the room was very comfortable and bigger than...

The full-sized beds could’ve been bigger considering the space in the rooms. My partner and I slept together but very cautiously, since we could’ve fallen off the bed at any moment. Also, if the do not disturb sign is hanging outside the door, housekeeping should not come trying to barge in the door at 8am

The size of the room was very comfortable and bigger than expected.

There were some things that I didn't like about the property. For example the fridge was under the sink and it wasn't even pushed all the way back, I hit my foot a couple of times. There wasn't a microwave in the room either. I would've preferred one and also part of the sink was broke.

The property was in a very excellent location and the facility was clean. When I walked into the room the beds were clean and extremely comfortable. I enjoyed my stay

This is a great place to relax☺

The room could have used a little detail cleaning.The ice bucket had rust and mold on it and didn't seem to be clean.

Staff was very professional from the young man who was outside to the housekeeping staff. Everyone acknowledged and greeted all guest.Looking forward to returning.

Wonderful

The full beds Are not comfortable for a family of 4. The hotel should invest in double queen beds. My children are 6 and 15 and fuzz most of the night is and who's side.

Like that it's located close to shopping, movies and exercise

Very nice and quiet location, noisy air conditioning
    • Superior King Room

The rooms have an extremely noisy, but powerful, air conditioning unit. I was there in December, so it only switched itself on every once in a while. But during the summer this would be on all the time. I don't know if I would be able to sleep with this noise always on.

Very nice and quiet location in a tranquil neighborhood. 15 mins drive to Westland shopping area, half an our drive to the airport. Small upscale shopping district in Miami Lakes within walking distance.

We stayed as much for the golf as the location.

Breakfast was a bit dull and lukewarm and although the bar and restaurant have been refurbished since our last visit, we felt it had lost some atmosphere and friendliness. Had to speak to the manger re poor service.

We stayed as much for the golf as the location. This was our third trip here. Very nice room overlooking the garden

Our trip was filled with fun, food, sun and shopping

I did not like the fact that you only had full beds. My husband and I are accustom to king size and was hoping at least for two queen beds for us and the children

I like the location and the fact that the hotel is not to noisy. Downtown great location.

Everything besides a few things.

Never was told beforehand that if we wanted a microwave it had to be requested during the morning. Clean my room and gave new towels but no washcloths had to find housekeeper.

Everything besides a few things.

Hotel was in a convenient place for our event

Some people were offered a $25 Shula's certificate and the four of us that booked with you did not. We would have liked to eat at the hotel, but we ended up going somewhere else.

Hotel was in a convenient place for our event

Was so glad to be leaving that place would give it a 4 out of 10.

No microwave, fridge was in bathroom, air conditioner sounded horrible all night with a loud humming like a speed boat. Room was not sound proof you head every noise in hallway and door to room was hard to close. Was not a pleasant stay for us at all.

Housekeeping was 100% great and hotel really looked and smelled clean inside lobby. Food at Shula restaurant was good but they were stingy with Ranch dressing

For one night. Relaxing and nice area

Surprisingly the room was dated fake wood floors. Furniture old and not matching. Just surprised me for the quality you would expect in the area and with the name associated with it. The price was great though!

Had not been to this area before and was quite surprised and pleased Shula 2 food was great service was extraordinary! Grounds were beautiful

We really enjoyed everything about our stay!

Great location! Large, comfortable rooms. Amazingly comfortable bed. Nice restaurants and sports bar on property. We will definitely stay there again!

We went there due to hurricane evacuation and were comfortable and had power the whole time.

limited televisions stations (lousy cable) and poor lighting in the room (too dim). Also, had to bring our own bags in and trolley them to our room. The fridge was way too small. Could hardly fit our snacks in there.

They had a skeleton crew, so it's hard to rate it normally. We liked that our room had hurricane shutters, the bathroom was comfy and clean, and the bed was comfortable. We can't rate it fairly, as the restaurant was basic and staff was minimal. But we were comfortable and happy with our stay.

Its location makes it a very peaceful place.

I doesn't include breakfast.

Its location makes it a very peaceful place. I like that. Swimming pool. Gardens. Big parking lot. Fully equipped gymnasium.

I'll stay again
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

While booking my reservation on Booking.com there was a choice for smoking and non smoking, and I requested smoking when I got there all rooms were smoke free. No biggie but check with hotels to see if everything on your website they actually can accommodate.

Bad A/C
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

A/C did not Work smelled stale made loud noise Coffe maker broken Called engineer ( they say ) to have it looked at. No results Oh well

Not much

Comfortable Home in Relaxing Setting for Stay in Frenetic South Florida!

We were fine with decor and ambiance that reflect location's maturity, but younger upscale travelers looking for the boutique or hip South Beach experience would regard the facilities as dated. The place is clean and modern without trying to apologize for its wood trim architecture or solid traditional furniture.

Campus-like layout in walk-friendly Main Street core of Miami Lakes with easy access to main highways but still neighborhood feel. Staff very attentive and friendly. Excellent venue for families with young to adolescent children. Enjoy memorabilia of Shula career and interesting historical photos of Miami Lakes town. Much better for lengthy stay (9 nights) than antiseptic chain property on a busy highway. Lush, mature lawn and garden areas throughout.

It has always been pleasant to return to Shula hotel, except for the last time.

We arrived an hour and a half before 4:00 pm, and they immediately gave us the room, but upon realizing that it was with a bed and not with two beds as we had requested. The person in the front desk told us that they would immediately change the room, and we were all the time waiting for the room, while other guests arrived and they were immediately taken care of and given the room, we waited almost an hour 45 minutes, and the person seemed to be annoyed with us, and when we finally got the room she was very rude, as if it were our fault. Honestly, I return to the hotel because I have always had a good experience, and I do not want this last experience to make me change my mind, so I will soon return to the hotel and I will be very attentive this time, if it happens again I will definitely not return, nor recommend it as I always do among my friends who travel to Miami.

The tranquility of the place, the cleanliness, in general term is a good option.

Would Stay again!!

It was very clean, and we ate at the Restaurant on site which was very good, there was a bakery also on site. The gardens in the center of the hotel were beautiful.

Beautiful Stay at Shula's

I have no complaints

I enjoyed my stay here. They were able to accommodate me with a balcony to overview the pool/ gathering area. I would definitely stay here again. I enjoyed my stay here

So So Place to Stay!

Dining and bar closed at 11:00. We got home from the night ballgame and could not get anything to eat or even get a drink at the bar as it was all shut down even though there were lots of people in it and around.

It was very clean.

Older hotel

Bathroom lighting. Fridge on the floor. No microwave.

The fridges are "micro" sized and they are sitting down on the floor. You need to kneel down on floor to access them. Bathroom lighting is automatic and sensor is located outside the shower/toilet section, so lights can go off if door is closed and you forget to move the switch to "on".

Comfortable and clean

Facilities just looked a little old, like maybe they weren't quite keeping up with repairs, etc.

Comfortable bed, great in-house restaurant, friendly & efficient staff

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Amazing

My stay was wonderful. My room was amazing and so nice. The view was amazing and the bed was so comfortable. I will book here again when returning to Miami. Love it!

Awesome

NO MICROWAVE when traveling with kids I like to have that item always.

This is my 2nd time at this hotel with in 10mos both time was great front desk staff was great house cleaning was very nice👍

Best in Miami Lakes!

Nothing: all good.

Great location , friendly & helpful staff. I asked for our room to be in a quiet location: we were upgraded to room with a view of the lagoon. I've stayed at other hotels in the neighborhood over the last 6 years: Shula's is the best!

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

The staff were very friendly.

I didn't like how long it took to check in. I requested early check in, where I arrived at 11AM, but I still had to wait until 4PM to check in, which made me 2 hours late for my event.

The staff were very friendly. The are had lots of restaurants and stores to shop. There was even a movie theater down the street, which costs about $8 a ticket.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Not Bad but service can be better !

I have requested for a late check out since my flight is at 9pm but was refused. My room was a long walk and nobody helped me with my luggage bags.

The receptionist Michelle is very nice to let me borrow her pone charger when I needed it badly. Joshua also is very accomodating.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Expensive for what you get
    • Superior King Room

The valet was never there when we needed our car, the walls of the hotel are very thin, we were awakened several times during the night. Nothing was available prior to 7:30am, no coffee, breakfast, etc. The hot water in the shower would come and go.

The staff was friendly, the location was good and the grounds were very pretty.

Staff very friendly and efficient.
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom generally a bit dated. Very few shelves for toiletries even though blank walls could have been used. Serious point: The security locking bar on the door was loose and easily removed. I took it to reception to show them how bad it was.

Staff very friendly and efficient. Room good size, long walk to get there. Pool view as promised.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Overall a good place to stay!

For what we paid for the room , it would have been nice to have breakfast vouchers. We only ate there once for breakfast and once for lunch . We didn't have water for an hour one day and when it came back on it was black.

Great location for us . We were visiting our son. Restaurants within walking distance. Bed was very comfortable. Staff was great !

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

If you want peace and quiet in the evening do not stay here!
    • Junior King Suite

Every evening in the courtyard between guest rooms men would drink and party, laughing and yelling until all hours of the night. Even after security removed them they would return or just head to the pool area outside guest rooms. We had to call the front office seven nights in a row to have them removed. Sleep was impossible! Screen door was broken. Water temperature was luke warm at the beginning of our stay and scalding after complaining. Hotel was starting to look run down.

Staff was friendly

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

After midnight Friday and Saturday lot of noises next to my...

After midnight Friday and Saturday lot of noises next to my room I'm on 2225 next 2223 they have too much noise and Saturday early at 7am the same....

Never again
    • Pool View Room with Two Double Beds

Air conditioner not working when arrived. Told they would send someone as soon as possible. Sat in hallway approx. 30-45 minutes due to it be cooler than the room. Non heated pool. No hot tub. Pictures of room are old need to be updated. This hotel was very dated no microwave in room. No hot water in shower. Toilet would not fill ran all the time. I would not recommend nor visit this location again.

House keeping staff very friendly.

Hotel was located next to some nice shops and restaurants,...

The room was not clean and we didn't check in until 4 pm which is check in time so not like we rushed them and also room lacked amenities and the amenities they did have were either broken or absent even though they were supposed to be there, like a simple coffee pot with all its pieces.

Hotel was located next to some nice shops and restaurants, so it was anot ok location.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

i don't recommend it at all!!!

I requested a king bed a month in advance but I got double beds and they told me I get what's available and that I did not like so I will never stay there again!!!! No room service what's up with that!!!

Not much

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Service not provided.

I asked for early check in, I was checked in at first at 3:30 PM and to a second floor which was not good for my handicapped mother who can't walk long distances. The other thing, Saturday the maid never made our beds.

the area where the hotel is located works for me, because I have family near bye.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Horrible customer servuce

Not a heated pool. There was construction in the lobby. The steak house was closed for remodeling. The staff was rude. We were not given the room we booked and were told that if we didn t like it too bad, go to another hotel. We had to call for towels for the room. When we called the front desk, they had an attitude. We had to call twice and waited 40 minutes till they came with towels. There system was down, so when I checked out they could not give me either a bill or atleast a total of what they charged me. There valet service is a bad joke. We had to leave the car, go to the front desk and asked for them to send out the valet to take our car. And no bellman to take the luggage. When we went to retrieve our car, we had to wait 20 min till they found the valet driver, seems he was also the shuttle driver. The front desk clerk ended up finding our car. They still charged me for valet service for that day. We never used it again

Not much.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

pleasant stay, nice facilities, great location.

bedroom lacking noise insulation... got awaken several times late during the night or early in the morning by noise in the corridor or in the neighboring bedrooms...could even hear the TV playing in my neighbors bedroom !

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Excellent staff and facilities. Would definitely recommend.

Staff was very responsive. NY wife hurt a toe with the front door and from the desk clerk, security guard, manager to the rest of the staff everyone was very acommodating.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

I was disappointed

The elevator was broke on our floor and we saw no one trying to fix it. It was inconvenient and everyone was complaining. In the room the air conditioner made loud noises and the dresser had broken drawers. I didn't mind the place fixing up the restaurant but i was disappointed.

I like the location and everyone was friendly.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Exceptional Hotel

The hotel is in a very good location and in walking distance of shopping and restaurants. The staff is very pleasant. The check in clerk Eduardo was the most pleasant person I ever met. The hotel is very clean and a great staff.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

You can find a better hotel for your money!

The room was tiny, no room what so ever to do anything. For the price I paid, I expected more space. The bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows were overused. Very uncomfortable's night sleep. As a disabled American the elevators were not working properly and was made to run up and down stairs. By the end of our stay we felt like we were hit by a truck. And we received horrible service at there restaurant. They forgot just about half our order. Could not get anything right. Not pleased!

Not much. The only thing I can compliment on is that it was one of the cleaner hotels I've stayed in.

Hurricane Matthew, FSU, and the Miami Hurricanes - Oh My!

There were not enough towel bars in the bathroom area. The room smelled musty. The water pressure for the shower was weak due to my neighbor showering at the same time.

The staff was very accommodating! Our arrival date was during Hurricane Matthew and they were very understanding and willing to allow us to cancel with no penalty. Luckily we made it safely and had an enjoyable weekend. The hardwood floors in the rooms were nice. The bed was very comfortable and the AC worked very well. The pool area was very clean and we enjoyed an afternoon under the spacious tiki hut. The Main Street shops and restaurants were right outside the hotel and that was very convenient. There was plenty of free, convenient parking if you choose not to valet park.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Disappointed in the overall operations of the hotel. Appears the hotel was short staffed.

Front desk operations mediocre. When attempting to call the front desk, often received no answer. Was advised by the front desk that a technician would come to my room, tech never showed. Not the Shula hotel I remember. I would give it 3 stars.

Incredible value

This is beautiful property in an excellent neighborhood, big, nicely appointed rooms and a great restaurant.