Reviews of Sofitel Lafayette Square Washington DC 5 stars

806 15th Street North West, Northwest, Washington, DC 20005, USA

#14 of 138 hotels in Washington

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

I felt like I got a little bit ripped off on my room selection. Paid a little more for a "luxury king" which sounded like it would be more roomy based off of the room description. However, our room was tiny. If there was any difference in that and a standard king size room, I would be shocked. We were not thrilled about that. You will have two different people knock on your door in the late afternoon for turn down service and then for someone to restock your Minibar. While I appreciate the service, they were usually within 30 minutes of each other and it just seemed a bit excessive. We actually had someone come in on us (though we never saw them) while we were napping. We finally put the "Privacy Please" on the door to prevent this from happening again, which we should have done in the first place. The hotel restaurant is sad. We canceled our dinner reservation there after reading the bad reviews but stopped in for lunch for the sake of convenience with low expectations. Service was very slow despite there being only 3-4 other diners at most. I ordered a hamburger thinking "can't mess this up" and while it was ok, it took a good 10 minutes just to get ketchup. I am not trying to nitpick but we didn't want to spend over a hour having lunch and somehow we ended up being there for awhile. I do think the rooms show some wear and tear. The Nespresso had an inch of dust over it. Things like this just kind of add up for an overall "blah" experience. Would I stay there again? Probably not. But I have definitely stayed in worse. So if you are looking for an average experience, this should meet your expectations.

The location was good. I felt like we were in a safe area and walking distance to most of the touristy things. Employees were friendly.

• Superior King Room

I didn't like the floor planof the room. The TV is right above the work table, so I couldn't be able to watch while working on my papers. I couldn't even watch it while I'm on bed or while setting on the sofa comfortably. For me, facing the bed as a first thing while entering the room wasn't a perfect touch.

Perfect location as it is in the heart of the capital. It was a very fast check in/out process.

• Superior King Room

The location was great and the staff from the moment we arrived went out of their way to make us feel welcome. They were helpful, friendly and proud of their hotel.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

Can’t seem to find anything I didn’t like

I loved everything about this property. Great location, rooms were grand and exquisite, and service impeccable!! Would visit this location ina heart beat!

• Superior King Room

Staff charged wrong credit card for the wrong amount and didn't even realize it that we checked out($7000 differences). It messed up the reservation for my boston trip, now i have to wait for the statement to make sure everything fixed. I booked two rooms , one of the room key was invalid because of the mis-charge , my dad's waited for 1 hour in the lobby until I called the hotel and fix everything

Very nice reno with old french fashion hotel, breakfast is great. Great location as well, 5 mins walking distance to whitehouse

• Superior King Room

I have nothing negative to say about my stay. The location is perfect: near the White House, near other historic areas.

I liked everything. The room was spacious, the bathroom facilities were very nice. The staff was superb; extremely courteous and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Sofitel and would return in the future.

• Superior King Room

There weren't any smaller weights for women in the fitness center. 3-5-8 lbs.

Great location!The air was clean, the rooms very quiet, the staff very helpful. I needed a cab and the the bellboy didn't like the inappropriate comments of the one that was available,so after I had already gotten in, he said, "I'm getting you another cab" and told me to get out of that one. 10+ to him! His name was Chris

• Superior King Room

The hotel experience was a miserable one and can be summarized as follows: 1- at the time of the arrival, the doorman didn’t help much in collecting the luggage and he was extremely rude 2- the first batch of laundry sent was returned as if a 3 year-old folded the clothe 3- we had to ask for extra towels on daily basis as they only put 1 4- the housekeeping services is horrendous and laughable. The dirty slippers were piled on the bathroom floor and the dirty bed sheets were left as is. We called the house keeping manager who came and checked the room her self and confirmed this is not “Sofitel” standard; whatever that means 5- the second batch of laundry, which was sent as a rush service, was collected 5 hours later and wasn’t returned until 5pm after checkout; and of course no apologies whatsoever 6- at the time of checkout, the luggage man “the same man who was at the arrival time” didn’t even bother to help us sort the luggage in the car. Over all a mediocre hotel that being a shame to the Accor and Sofitel brand. Our expectation was much much much higher. Please save your money and go to Hilton or W. First and last time for sure

Location ONLY

• Superior King Room

room was small and a little dark. Didn't mind the small as much as the dark. i like to walk in room and have bright overhead light. Putting on lamps does not light entire room.

food was wonderful and bed was fabulous

• Superior King Room

Pictures on booking.com looked much spacious and no comment was left that are works going on in the resturants

Pleasant staff and helpful, great location, nice rooms.

The service, the room for a suite was terrible, sheets and towels so old and hard. the bathroom was small, small bath not soaking bath only one sink. Room noisy with either the sound of the lift moving and staff rolling things around or the constant beeping of the lift moving completely destroyed any enjoyment. No turn down service. Cost of car parking extortionate, and not told to you prior to you leaving.

The location was acceptable although hard to find the hotel entrance As it is hidden between canopy’s for a restaurant.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

The first day we called the front desk for several things and were told they would occur, but none did -- none. That evening we called room service late, and nothing ever happened - my guess is the front desk answered and the front desk that day was the problem. HOWEVER see the like portion above because this obviously had to be an extremely "off" day for the hotel.

The hotel seemed to have had an "off day" that bore no relation to the usual for this brand or to the other days at this hotel, so while it was very surprising, we gave them a pass. The other days were well done, very professional and typical of the brand.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

From the moment we pulled up our car for the valet service, we were greeted by the staff with smiles and genuine customer service. It wasn't fake, it felt like they were happy to be there. I appreciate good customer service over anything. The hotel was beautiful and overly accommodating. The location was close to EVERYTHING especially the white house and easy routes to the other monuments. I would 100% stay here again.

• Luxury Room - 2 double beds, working area, city view

The restaurant was not in full function. Breakfast was served as a buffet and we were really looking forward to the menus displayed online.

The beds were great and the staff was very attentive.

• Superior King Room

Breakfast is 100% non-recommended!! Had to wait 25 minutes just to get my morning cup of coffee, and after 40 (!!!) minutes of waiting for light breakfast had to leave hungry. UNBELIEVABLE experience!!

Everything was great except breakfast experience. Breakfast is 100% non-recommended!

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

Had an erroneous charge for the mini bar on the first day, but it was cheerfully corrected when brought to their attention. For the price the dinner wasn't quite as good as expected, but drinks were very good and staff friendly.

Room was clean and very comfortable. Restaurant was under construction but food available in the bar area. Room service was quick and food was good. (Pricey but good). Staff was exceptional and very friendly. Location is great, too. Would definitely stay here again.

• Superior King Room

The breakfast took took too long and once we even had to wait to be seated because the restaurant was full due to external guests. Seating should be given priority to hotel guests. Housekeeping could have done a better job of re-stocking the minibar. Room service menu too limited, not enough healthy options.

Bed was comfortable and shower amenities were great. Gym was adequate and front desk/concierge staff were very helpful. Room service was quick and efficient.

• Luxury Room - 2 double beds, working area, city view

The staff took care of us, but there was nowhere clearly designated to drop off the car, which can be daunting in DC traffic. It is too far to walk to the Smithsonians.

Good location for the White House, although far to the Smithsonian. Next to a metro stop. The staff was incredibly friend,y and accommodating.

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

Room was a little dirty, including carpets and bathroom. Bed was uncomfortable. Shower pressure fluctuated annoyingly. Tile work and around shower door needs attention. Attention to the little details are important. When spending this much for a room, I expect very clean carpet, comfortable bed and pristine bath amenities. There is no onsite store for snacks, etc. Finally, the service in restaurant was terrible as was the selection of offerings. People travel with kids, cater to them too.

Location was really great and the building itself is nice. Staff was great, minus the restaurant.

• Superior King Room

My only complaints were that after many hours of flights without dinner we looked into room service since we arrived late. They do have a limited late night menu that is mainly sandwiches but since I cannot do bread, I went for the quiche. It was $16 but it was the size of a muffin and they added a $10 delivery fee plus 18% gratuity. So I paid $31 for a muffin size portion of quiche—pretty unreasonable. Needless to say, I avoided room service for the rest of our stay.

I loved the classy upscale styling of the lobby and room. I loved the restaurant food! We ate breakfast there both mornings! The complimentary french pastries made on-site are excellent!!! The restaurant servers were very polite and helpful!

• Superior King Room

Didn’t like that the hotel didn’t have a restaurant with a variety of food

Comfy duvet and bed. Location was excellent and was a close walk to all of the sites. Will definitely be coming back.

• Superior King Room

I was not happy with Booking.com. I prefer to book directly with hotels and thought that was what I was doing and then I got caught into the maze of Booking-com and found myself with a non-refundable situation when that is not what I had intended. Then when I booked an extra night at the hotel directly, the price quoted was much lower than what I had paid Booking-com. The hotel was most obliging and up-graded our room.

Staff most obliging. Concierge very helpful. Love the European flair. As a Canadian enjoyed hearing French, though we speak English.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

Room not cleaned properly. Hair in sink, condiments from previous quest left in room, burnt light above bed, coffee cups dirty

Bed was really commfortable

• Superior King Room

Bathroom was not clean.... hair in shower, sink and floor. Heard a banging noise nearby, could not tell where it was coming from. started around 6am and continued off and on frequently for hours. I thought maybe banging pipes, but not sure. Coffee in lobby was empty at 9:30am Coffee pods in room were all decaf.

Size of room

• Superior King Room

Housekeeping forgot the decorative pillows and blanket and I discovered them on the windowsill later.

The room was super clean and quiet. The bathroom was modern and the towel giant size and fluffy.

• Superior King Room

The view ( or lack of one). Facing what was like an inner courtyard of nothing but further bedrooms opposite. Never sure was day or night...yuk !! It was a trip for my partners birthday, thank god there was plenty to see outside the property (the location was great).

Bed and pillows (feather not foam), very comfortable.Room clean and comfortable.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

I've stayed in much nicer hotels with way more amenities and paid half the price. The valet parking is a joke, $55 a night and there isn't even room in front of the hotel for a car to be parked.

The ladies who worked the reception desk were very friendly. All the others could take note.

• Superior King Room

$65 a day to park No fridge or microwave, just a stocked mini bar Over priced food for breakfast, $5 for a mini box of cereal Not staying here again, no matter how good a price I can get. Can stay other places with free parking a free breakfast.

The bed was to soft for us but not bad over all. Free WiFi If you need to be right at the White House its a good location.

• Superior King Room

The suite was fantastic and very spacious, however, one of the most basic demands being quality of sleep was not well fulfilled since one window in the bedroom was so damaged that there was a constant cold air flow in the bedroom. To compensate we turned up the heat veg high but it was a very uncomfortable sleeping experience. Another window in the living room was cracked but thankfully didn’t leak. Delivered food was not very well made..

Nice and very helpful staff. Wonderful location. We loved the free hot cider in the lobby which we picked up each time we headed out to explore the city. Room service was very good.

• Superior King Room

Honestly, everything was great.

The bed was very comfortable. Nice large flat screen TV. Big sheet size bath towels. Robes and slipper complementary. Turn down service. Super nice and helpful staff.

• Superior King Room

I still find it difficult to understand how in the US even 5-star hotels charge you extra for high-speed internet.

Excellent location, right around the corner from the White House. The room was quite spacious and had all the expected amenities. Really fast and easy checking in and checking out process. Overall, a good place.

• Superior King Room

The security deposit regulations, especially with a debit card you have to ask questions and know the fine line rules first.

How special they make you feel; give you 100% convenience and amazing treatment. You can walk anywhere from this hotel! It’s amazing.

• Superior King Room

When entering our room our bathroom trash was full, neither telephone was working and our ice tongs were disgustingly super dirty. I felt like this hotel missed a lot of details. I brought it to hotel’s attention and all I got was a ‘sorry’. I felt like they didn’t care. They knew 4 people were staying in the room but only left us 3 ba

• Superior King Room

More transparency about the parking situation at and near the hotel would be helpful. Also, a full sized ironing board would be super. Currently the hotel supplies table top size ironing boards.

Lovely hotel. Exceptional bed. Comforter was super comfortable.

• Superior King Room

View of building wall but for the price we got on booking.com I can't complain really. Price for parking very high.

Bed extremely comfortable. Huge TV. Large bathroom, fluffy bathrobes.Staff unfailingly pleasant especially doormen and desk staff. Waiters ok. Complimentary coffee and tea in lobby but disappointed only cider in evening.

• Superior King Room

The Room faced right into an adjacent building, The room had stagnant air. Fan immediately made room either too hot or too cold. There was no top sheet when we arrived. Had to request this.

• Superior King Room

This hotel allows animals in the rooms. We suffered allergic reactions. The staff were, once again amazing & supportive of us. NB for Management: Animals on animal floors only. People die of asthma.

The beds were so soft and comfortable. The staff were incredibly friendly & helpful. The hot morning coffee & afternoon hot cider were lovely additions to a very lovely hotel.

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds (4 Adults)

Bar being refurbished. Not explained when booked . Waiters in Dining/bar area devoid of attention on saturday night. Food good , service poor . Fries tasted just like Mcdonalds Fries !!! One girl on desk to checkout Sunday morning . Just seemed worse than last time.

• Superior King Room

The restaurant seemed a little small, but there were so many other places close to the hotel that this didn’t matter much.

The hotel room was nicely furnished and the staff were friendly, responsive, and professional. The location was close to everything and the rate I got through booking.com was AMAZING!

• Superior King Room

Bar needs to reopen! Not a lot of quiet, secluded open spaces.

The breakfast is super fast. The bar was closed for renovation which is not convenient but service was great. Most staff bilingual and they had adapter on hand for foreign travelers.

• Superior King Room

Beautiful hotel just steps from the White House. Close proximity to many other sights. Delicious breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Friendly staff. Highly recommend.

• Superior King Room

The hotel has perfect location for both, business and leisure trips. Our room was very clean and with suitable size. The staff was helpfull and nice, specially Keiara from conference and the lovely young lady from breakfest team.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

The food is excellent and the staff very friendly, but the service in the dining room seemed to lack focus and could be better organised.

A hotel with a French flavour, the croissants at breakfast were excellent. In fact the food was very good generally. The hotel is located only a block or two from the White House, so although the subway is convenient and easy to use, we mostly walked everywhere. Our room was very comfortable.

• Superior King Room

While the rooms and lobby are lovely and comfortable, the hallways, elevators, common spaces are looking a little tired.

Excellent location, close to White House and within walking distance to the Mall. Staff was very kind.

• Superior King Room

Kitchen staff uses Latex gloves. I'm allergic to latex Why not consider "nitrile gloves"? Same protection No problem with allergy for any of your customers Thanks R Perrone MD

• Superior King Room

coffee maker was in the room but no tea facility. breakfast needs to be a little more elaborate and more personalized in their service

good food good stay good staff great location. one block from the white house.

• Superior King Room

Was disappointed with the bar being under renovation. Only left with one restaurant option which wasnt suited for a quick drink or snack. Would have wanted to know this when booking through booking.com

Room was large and spacious. Bed was amazing. Location couldnt be better. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great coffee supplied in room

• Superior King Room

Maybe because I put “do not disturb” tag until the noon, the room was not cleaned at night, but they responded quickly after I said to the staff.

First of all, the location! Behind the White House! And room was very gorgeous, and staffs were very kind and friendly. They allowed me early check-in. I ate breakfast in hotel’s cafe, it was very delicious. I want to stay this hotel again!

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

On site valet parking cost $55 a night. This added an additional $165 to my hotel bill.

The bed mattress and linens were extremely comfortable. They turned down the bed every night but I never once actually saw the service staff. They were efficient yet silent. The room temperature was very easy to control and responsive. And it was silent as a tomb at night. I slept very well.

• Superior King Room

The breakfast doesn’t worth the price they charge. It is not a buffet and the menu options are very limited.

The location is just perfect for visiting Washington’s main attractions. Great room, very spacious. I don’t know if they do this for everyone but during the night turn service they brought for my daughter a glass of milk and three biscuits plus a hand written message. Staff very helpful.

• Superior King Room

The check in and how they talked to us and treated us was unacceptable.We had a small issue with checking in and instead of trying to help they wanted to refuse the check in although the night was paid and there were no issues.They also made faces that we booked the room through a 3rd party.

• Superior King Room

The food prices were quite high, but there are plenty of options in the area. It was very cold in DC during our visit and the room had a few drafty windows. Booking.com seemed to suggest that breakfast was included in our rate, but when we booked, it was an additional $25 per day per person.......

Overall, we were pleased with the value and location and will consider it again in the future.

• Superior King Room

Tried to order take out and we had to call 3 times - finally we had to ask them to go over and talk to them and tell them we would like to place an order

• Superior King Room

When we arrived we were told that our booking had started the day/night before! It was fortunate that I had brought written evidence of the booking. When we checked out we were charged for 4 nights instead of 3. It took 3 emails before the error was accepted. The first two emails were not even acknowledged

Staff were engaging and very pleasant. Location was excellent

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

The room was dirty-very dusty. Room only came with 2 towels and no turn down service so towels were not replenished. Staff knew very little about the area.

Proximity to my meeting-close to WHITE HOUSE.

• Superior King Room

The room was freezing even with the thermostat set on 80. We had to wear long underwear to stave off the chill.

Personnel were very helpful and friendly.

• Superior King Room

The lady who dealt with me when I checked out was very unfriendly and would put me off staying at Sofitel in Washington again. It is important for staff to realize how their behaviour impacts the experience for guests.

The location and the fact that it was a boutique hotel. The staff who checked me in, the porters and the staff who cleaned the room and were very friendly. The dining room staff for breakfast were average but the waiter when I had dinner one evening was excellent. I stayed for 6 nights and thus had some time to experience staying at Sofitel

• Luxury Room - 2 double beds, working area, city view

the ironing board and iron were the worste I have had in ANY hotel room. please splurge for a full size IB and a functional iron.

Everything was wonderful

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds

Cushions a little small and couldn’t seem to find a comfortable sleeping temperature at night, a bit warm.

Extremely courteous, attentive staff, exceptional service. Room upgrade given without asking, rooms were beautiful, hotel is very clean, serene and very comfortable in an excellent position. Would definitely stay here again.

• Superior King Room

My quilt cover had a tear in the fabric when I Turned it back for the evening. Also there was no PowerPoint in the bathroom for the hairdryer that I could find anywhere. There is no room to store milk in the fridge because it is packed with the hotel minibar and not available for customer use.

Clean , comfortable room. Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Nothing to recommend

Our meal and wine before the Chaka Khan concert was excellent and the breakfast the next day with the Belgium Waffle was perfect. Short walking distance to the Warner Theatre and for an early morning stroll around the White House the next day. Great gym, Perfect room and Safe location. With the French Theme and Staff it was like a short trip to Paris. A nice change of pace from the traditional Hotel Chains.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

There was trash in the hall, that seem to kicked down the hall. And never vacuumed.

I liked everything about the hotel, room size, bathroom (shower), restaurants, closeness of museums, and availability of cabs outside the hotels.

• Superior King Room

Cannot think of one thing that was not to our expectations

The staff was exceptional. Stephane the concierge was so helpful and pleasant. He went out of his way to get us tickets to a venue that we had been trying for a year! Josh at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant staff was great. Rooms were very quiet and the ventilating system worked well. We would definitely stay a the Sofitel again.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

we had a hard time finding a supermarket in the vicinity of the hotel. the restaurants surrounding the hotel were also on the more expensive side.

the room was very luxurious and big. very friendly staff.

• Superior King Room

I find the breakfast wait staff in the restaurant somewhat curt and unfriendly

The hotel staff is top notch and very attentive. The room service is very good.

• Superior King Room

Room was very comfortable, lighting was great, including spot lights above the bed for reading. I liked the fact that there were outlets for charging on the nightstand, and a Bose stereo system.

Closet.

Excellent bed. Bathroom very good. Lots of electrical outlets to plug in gadgets. Could have had an lamp facing the ceiling to illuminate the room more evenly. Closet was small, and with only 3 hangers.

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

Some of the staff didn't seem to take a young couple serious, perhaps because we weren't dressed in a business suit?

Loved the shower. The bartender was extremely nice as well. Overall it was a nice hotel with a great ambiance.

Gym is okay but not like totally pumping.

Very straight. Nice. Clean. Originally I got a junior suite which was big and clean and well appointed but looked at back of the buildings and like a dark hole. I then asked for a down grade so I could see the sun. The new room was great. Location for what I needed to do was great. Plenty of stuff around.

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds (3 Adults)

The beds were a bit soft with saggy edges that gave the impression one could easily roll off the bed.

I left some personal property in my room. I called the next day after checkout, in the morning. Henry at the front desk spoke to housekeeping and 20 minutes later he returned a phone call to inform my that my item was located. He arranged to send the item to me overnight. I was so delighted!

• Luxury Room - 1 kingsize bed, large working area, city view

The only thing I didn't like was that at midnight we wanted cookies and milk and the bill for three cookies and milk and a small soda was 27.00. A little high in price for cookies and milk

• Superior King Room

Other than the bar closing early and the air conditioning going to extremes we had an excellent stay. I did come back to a personal item that was broken (hairbrush handle) which I can only assume was dropped when the room was cleaned.

Great location for sight seeing and close to bars and restaurants

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds

The door of the bathroom wouldn't stay open.

I liked the size and features of the room (including the coffee maker and the free bottled water), the location, the staff and the privacy. It's a very clean and well-run hotel, and the staff accommodated us well.

• Superior Room with Two Double Beds

Room windows face another building about 6' away from our room windows with office workers in other windows. Room drapes had to be closed at all times. Felt like we were in a cave

Décor of hotel and friendliness of staff.

• Superior King Room

Room service and restaurant was a little pricey but not crazy.

Food was fantastic. Big fan of the room service burgers late night. Shower was great. Very comfortable room.