Reviews of Sofitel Philadelphia 4 stars

120 S 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA

#8 of 75 hotels in Philadelphia

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

Cleanliness.. The room was very dusty, dust everywhere, the carpet did not look like it was vacuumed and there was hair all over the bathroom.. Hair was in the tub, hair on the towels, hair on the bathroom floor. Just to let you know the very long hairs was not mines.. Totally lost points for me. No USB ports in the room, no long mirror in the room.

The bed was great. Lots of places to walk.

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

Rooms need updating. Woodwork and furniture were old and nicked up.Staff could have been friendlier. Old bathrooms.

Bed was very comfortable. A/C worked well, location was awesome. Suites were very spacious.

• Superior King Room

Knocked on doors way too many times. Needed to check mini bars. Knocking to find out what time we were leaving so they knew what time to make the room. Great location. Beds super comfortable. Would stay again!

The lounge and bar area were quite worn out and understaffed.

The bed was incredibly comfortable, the bathroom was spacious, and the shower was fantastic.

• Superior King Room

Everything about this hotel met my expectation.

Great location, in the heart of Philadelphia. Staff is helpful and welcoming. A few items we ordered from the room service was excellent. It will be a good hotel to stay while visiting Philadelphia for a few days.

• Superior King Room

The decoration does not match the pictures provided on the internet, and the bed is much too soft.

The staff was very helpful and kind. The location is good.

• Luxury Double Room

The breakfast (very poor on weekdays; good at weekends where there was a buffet)

The staff (wonderful), the rooms (spacious and quiet), the beds (very comfortable), the location (great).

• Superior King Room

We stayed for my husband's birthday. The hotel had a birthday cake waiting for him in our room!!! I was blown away! What a nice gesture! We've stayed there a couple times and will stay again. The location is perfect and the staff is always wonderful!

• Luxury Double Room

Clean glasses weren’t replace for the second night stay. Also tissues and toilet paper had to be called for because there were no additional supply in the room.

Courteous staff, great location, and comfortable beds.

• Luxury King Suite (3 Adults)

We stayed at King suite, the room is not very clean, When we moved the sofa bed and open it, there is dust and misc things under and inside it. I called for a duvet cover for the sofa bed, never get it. Finally, the breakfast buffet was really okay for $26. I had buffet at Sophitel which was much better and impressive. My friends and myself are very disappointed. Won’t stay again.

The hotel is located at the heart of the city, this is the only thing I like about the hotel.

• Superior King Room

Daily room charges on my credit card for the room/tax/fees, rather than one charge at check out. Normally you give a credit card for incidentals and to secure payment but you don’t expect a daily charge made to the card.

Every aspect of the stay was excellent.

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

Arrived at 4 pm(3pm check in) and still had to wait 45 minutes for room. Since it was not ready they gave us a complimentary drink. I had to pay for the second one.

Staff and hotel was exceptional, great location

• Superior King Room

Room was smaller than expected; view was not very appealing.

The bed was amazing! Best sleep I have had in years! The staff was attentive and efficient (everyone from the valet, to front desk, to housekeeping)! Room was clean! Great location!

• Luxury King Suite (3 Adults)

The room was beautiful, the waiter at the in house restaurant was excellent! To top off the evening, the bed was amazing! I've never slept so comfortably and plan on purchasing one.

• Superior King Room

Would have preferred a top sheet on the bed and an optional cover/blanket besides the very warm down comforter.

Service was excellent; all staff member with whom we came in contact were professional, courteous, welcoming, and accommodating.

• Luxury King Room

Extremely uncomfortable bed. Hairdryer didn’t work. Had to wait almost 30 minutes for a replacement. Service for breakfast was chaotic. Cooked food cold.

Good size room.

• Superior King Room

Leaving. I can’t wait to book my next stay.

The staff is consistently friendly and helpful. The beds are the most comfortable of all the hotels I’ve stayed at. The best cup of decaf coffee in center city.

• Superior King Room

Does need some modernising. Looks a little dated but do not let this put you off. Great hotel!

Excellent location, lots of shops, bars and restaurants nearby. Easy to walk to all the tourist sites, train stations nearby if needed. Gym- good Bed- huge and very comfortable Rooms- huge room, very comfortable, has the facilities you need Hotel bar- good

• Superior King Room

We stayed at this property twice: once over Easter week-end March 30-April 1, and the second time the night before we left on April 6-7. William, the concierge, Lauren at the reception desk, Oumar the doorman were all extremely helpful. William made arrangements for a rental car for the week which was great as it was dropped off and picked up by Hertz at the hotel. The breakfast was tasty. Great area with lots of bars and restaurants in the immediate area. We will stay here again when we return to Philadelphia.

• Superior King Room

The bartender was very rude. I thought that the bar was still open for service (we arrived later) and sat down to have a drink. Nobody acknowledged me for maybe 5 minutes and when the bartender turned around he said "last call was like 10 min ago" and turned back around. I found this incredibly rude considering the hotels reputation. I paid for what I thought was breakfast included- we never received our breakfast. Our coffee machine was broken.

The bed was very comfortable- the hotel itself is beautiful. The location was incredible- so close to the square. Right in center city. We were able to walk everywhere- just perfect.

• Superior King Room

The hotel in itself was excellent. However, it would have been nice if they offered places to park for their guest on the hotel property. Valet parking is an option and I did take advantage of it.

The Staff was very friendly from the moment I stepped out of my vehicle to arrive at the hotel until the time that I stepped back in my vehicle to leave. The room was plush along with all the amenities within the room and hotel. The area where the hotel is located has many eateries and shopping places and has something for every age group. I have already recommended this place to all my facebook family and friends. I will definitely be staying here when I just need to get away from Jersey, see new scenary and relax.

• Luxury King Suite (3 Adults)

Housekeeping came at 4:00pm, which is TOO LATE. Didn't leave soap or extra toilet paper. Took forever to get our car from valet parking, on several days.

The bed was comfortable, check out was fast

• Superior King Room

Only suggestion is to put a full length mirror in the room. My husband and I kept looking for one.

Excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff. Thank you for the birthday cake and card. Room was spacious.

• Superior King Room

The hotel generally had a dark, worn down feel. Also, while the hotel can't control that a false fire alarm went off during the stay at 5:30 in the morning (and continued for 30 min), I thought it truly astounding that during checkout there was no acknowledgment of the occurrence and a general apology about "we wish your stay would have not included that disruption". While the gym was nice, there was no wipes for the equipment which I found disgusting.

• Luxury King Room

Room was very comfortable but felt things were somewhat run down--furniture banged up and scratched, surroundings just looked tired.

Staff very helpful and courteous, both at front desk and in restaurant. Food in restaurant was excellent--very high quality experience.

• Luxury King Suite (3 Adults)

The room was not the room I booked and the front desk clerk did not change or refunded the difference between initial Reservation and the room that we receiced. I asked every night turndown service - never happened . The bathrob had dark - used spots on the inside of it

The crew at the breakfast restaurant was great.

• Superior King Room

Perfect location. Easy walking to great restaurants and shopping. Reasonless walk to Independence Mall and other historic sites. Our room was nice and the bed very comfortable. The staff was very attentive and responsive to requests. Would stay again.

• Superior King Room

Silly as this sounds, i did not realize i nweded to card the elevator. It would have been helpful to know.

The bed WAS wonderfully comfortable, the staff wonderfully helpful and friendly.

Nothing I didn't like.

As soon as I hit the bed I started to fall asleep it was so comfy. Lots of good places to eat and get a drink at near by. Bathroom restocked very quickly. The front desk staff was very pleasant. Would definitely stay again.

• Superior King Room

It was a little strange, but there was a huge closet, but really nowhere to put folded clothes. There were some shelves, but they had other paraphernalia on them. Some of the edges of the furniture looked a bit worn and needed a freshen up.

The room was beautiful with a soft feather bed and crisp white linen. There was a funky white lounge chair in the corner which gave a very European vibe. The air conditioner/heater was really quiet. The room was really quiet too. The staff was very cordial and friendly, even speaking a little French. The bathroom was really big, with a great soaker tub with spray handle and a beautiful glass-enclosed shower. I finally got to use my LUSH bath bomb! Loved the lanterns in the lobby every evening.

• Luxury King Suite (3 Adults)

Nothing it was all good. Although $20 for a Manhattan is a bit steep in a city as generally low priced as Philly.

Fantastic service and location. Our suite was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Great water pressure in the showers.

• Superior King Room

The only thing me and my partner didn't like was the bed. It was way too soft for our taste. But then again we are used to sleeping on a firm mattress, so it's a matter of personal opinion. We also hated the pillows. Not much choice - you either get a super soft one or a big bulge. The hotel should start including memory foam pillows in their options. Again - a matter of personal taste.

The hotel was situated in the middle of everything. Great location ans super convenient. The staff was very friendly, professional and helpful. The concierge - William - gave me and my partner great advice of places to dine and lounge. We had a room on the 10th floor and had a nice view of the Observation Deck building and surrounding area. The room were nice and clean. The toilettries provided were from Lanvin and smelled divine. Overall a very nice stay.

• Superior King Room

Table space is limited in the room. Suggest a bistro table and two seats in front of the window. Corner lounge chair very uncomfortable. Merely suggestions. Room was otherwise amazing. Certainly plan to stay again.

Staff was incredibly personable and the service was exemplary. Room service was among the best I have seen. Prices were very reasonable for room service food. Quality and presentation was amazing.

• Superior King Room

The only complaint I have is the that the pillows were not supportive. They were too flimsy, not holding any shape. My back hurt the first night and I had to use the decorative pillow for better support.

The Sofitel is a great hotel, close to many restaurants and shops. The rooms are spacious and well equipped.

• Superior King Room

The TV in the living room area didn't work. The one in the bedroom did work so it was not a big deal.

The bed had a high end pillow top, I didn't want to get up. The mini bar had all our favorites. We loved the bathroom and the robes/slippers.

• Superior King Room

I didn't like the location. It is far from the museums and university and old buildings.

The bed was like a cloud, the room was quiet, and the staffs were hospitable.

• Superior King Room

Hotel could use updating Room was very dusty and oddly laid out No room service after midnight - we arrived at 1AM and it was difficult to find food

Desk staff was very nice

• Superior King Room

Parking was overpriced. We found a cheaper garage two blocks away.

We were very satisfied with the room. We asked for a humidifier and they sent us a nice one that worked.

• Superior King Room

I didn’t like how noisy the rooms were. You could hear everything going on out in the hall especially the doors slamming. I also didn’t like the pillows they were too thin for me.

Bed was comfortable and room was spacious

• Luxury Double Room (3 Adults)

Was offered an upgraded room so that we could checkin straight away rather than to wait till 3pm which was the standard checkin time. The upgraded room was a suite which was very cosy & comfy. Service at the reception desk was good and will certainly recommend friends to stay in this hotel.

• Superior King Room

Fantastic team at reception with a delightful welcome . Lauren the front desk supervisor was extremely professional and made or stay even more special by providing us with a complimentary upgrade . The staff at the bar/restaurant made us feel welcome and the service was always prompt . Fantastic location within Philly .

• Luxury King Room

I am claustrophobic, because of this I can not use the elevator- which prevented me from wanting to come back down stairs once I returned to my room in the afternoon. I suppose an escalator would be out of the question- but one can hope!

I was comfortable with the fact that throughout the day I was greeted mostly by my name. The cleaning staff were helpful efficient and friendly, and the Café personnel were spot on in making sure my meal was everything I hoped for- even going above and beyond on Saturday morning at the Buffet. It was greatly appreciated.

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

We had a king suite - lovely and spacious. Bed was very comfy and bathroom was wonderful. Breakfast was included and quite good. Great location, close to many restaurants and stores and just two blocks from Rittenhouse Square. We will stay here again.

• Luxury King Room

The location was perfect. All employees were very nice, friendly and helpful. Room was nice size. We asked for a room away from elevator and request was honored. The hallways are really long so it turned out to be a really long walk from elevator.

Parking

Excellent breakfast, comfortable bed and very friendly staff. Really enjoyed our stay. Parking is valet only. Which is ok given the location.

• Luxury King Room - Disability Access

I am claustrophobic and can not ride in the elevators- I don't like having to walk the four flights each day.

I liked that I felt safe and the hotel was not only clean- but also comfortable for my guests who joined me for meals.

Needs some renovations.

The location is the best. The room was very big. Compared to other boutique hotels, it might not be modern / up-to-date but it was very comfortable with a lot of space.

A little dated ...

Bed was so nice. They accommodated our request for early check in ! location was perfect for attending a show in theatre district and shopping and dining , could walk everywhere .

• Superior King Room

I cannot think of anything. Everything I asked for was provided and it wasn't too expensive.

The food was delicious and the service was excellent. They were very accommodating.

• Luxury Double Room (4 Adults)

billing system not available on departure, no invoice received. Parking very pricey and needs to be considered when planning to stay for a longer period of time (same for most major cities along the east cost apparently).

we enjoyed the location, close to most interesting points in Philadelphia. Staff very friendly and responsive. Excellent b-fast.

• Superior King Room

Breakfast was very cold.. I booked a room but upgraded once I was at the property. The rooms need to touched up. The wooden closet and furniture needs to refurbished. I was disappointed with my room this time

Great Staff.. I feel like I'm home when I arrive.

• Superior King Room

This is my second stay at the Sofitel in a "superior king" room. I find it very odd there are no drawers to put away clothes, instead there is a roomy closet with two luggage stands. No drawers were an inconvenience to me, had to live out of my suitcase for length of vacation.

The bed was very comfortable, the bedsheets were soft and fine, pillows were soft and fluffy. Bathroom layout was nice. Room was nicely appointed and lighting was adequate. As a female traveling alone, I felt safe in my room with the option of two bolts on the entry door. Key cards are must to activate the elevator to get to your room which was another safety plus, so no random strangers wandering the hallway floors.

• Superior King Room

The hour-long wait for the room despite arriving after the check-in time. I was offered a complimentary drink at the hotel bar which was nice.

The Sofitel is always dependable, professional and usually where I stay in when visiting Philadelphia.

• Luxury King Room

The price of drinks in the bar was outrageous. After paying 34 dollars for two glasses of wine we did not use the hotel facility again. Bars outside were much more resonable.

• Superior King Room

Computer system was down for several days which made it a longer process to check in at 10:15 PM when we arrived

Staff were all very helpful and always pleasant and willing to help.

• Superior King Room

The staff was incredibly accommodating. They did their best to allow us to check in early. We forgot some toiletries and after calling guest services we had everything brought up within minutes. We were also able to get a really great price.

• Superior King Room

A little dark - decor needs to be refreshed - looks a little worn....

Bed and linens were amazing. Breakfast was way above average - very nice menu variety and service was fantastic!

• Superior King Room

my bed was a little too soft but when I commented on check out they said I could have requested that they make it firmer- should have spoken up earlier- next time I will!

We had a nice large room with lots of windows. The staff was sooo helpful and friendly. The city is very walkable and there is a trolley nearby that makes a big loop past most attractions which is worth the $5 all day pass. The winner of best new restaurant is around the corner

• Superior King Room

The parking Valet parking was 50 dollars but theres plenty of garages that you can park yourself for 8 dollars a day, so thats something that needs improvement, no breakfast was included

This is a place i would definitely recommend very clean and the staff looked very professional.

• Superior King Room

The parking situation was a bit confusing. There was valet but we weren't aware of that until we had already parked down the block and had to carry all our bags.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was huge, and the rooms were spacious and spotless.

• Superior King Room

Worst wifi ever in a Sofitel. I know this is done to force clients to purchase "high speed" wifi....but this bad is really plain awful

Nice bed and convenient location

n/a

Beds were exquisite, pillows exquisite. Service, staff exceeded my expectations. This includes the valet staff, front desk staff, people we contacted ahead... everyone was absolutely great!

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

Excellent customer service from all the staff. Sally was awesome. Accommodations were great. When coming to Philly, we always stay at the Sofitel. Great location.

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

great staff. Slight problem with room fixed quickly and with no fuss. Things go wrong, its how they are resolved that defines a team and they were excellent

• Luxury King Room

We got room service for breakfast and the waffles and eggs were real bad!

Most comfortable bed on earth and the bathroom was awesome!! Also the staff was very attentive and helpful!

• Superior King Room

Wish they had better perks programs like the Kimpton Palomar next door. There you will get a free slice of cake and a bottle of wine just for mentioning it's your birthday, in addition to the free wine and popcorn happy hour every evening.

The beds are the best! It's always a toss up for my husband and I between the Sofitel and the Palomar as we like the perks of the Palomar but the beds at the Sofitel are sooooo comfortable!! I also like the separate bath tub with hand held shower head. The location can't be beat and the service is very professional though perhaps not as warm/fun as it could be.

• Luxury Double Room (3 Adults)

The staff was friendly, the room was clean and nicely decorated. The bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to leave in the morning! The hotel is in a great location, just a short walk from the train station and close to everything that you would need (restaurants, bars, shopping). Overall, a great experience and I would stay here again.

• Luxury Double Room

Parking was horrible, valets did not clear the entrance of cars, impossible to unload and drop off the car.

Very nice, big bathrooms, big rooms, nicely upscale.

• Luxury King Room (3 Adults)

Parking charge was too much. No option for parking was provided. As a hotel guest $10-15 a night should be standard fee for parking. I thought parking was complimentary. I would have made my own parking arrangement should I have known.

Thanks for acknowledging my husband's birthday

• Superior King Room

If you must have something - I'll be picky: Cable TV. That's not really their fault, cable is a 'wasteland'. They had HBO (GoT - yay!) but didn't have Hallmark (Christmas in July).

Location, room size, amenities, cleanliness & climate control, friendly staff - pretty much just about everything.

• Superior King Room

I had booked a room with airbnb for this trip. It was terrible! So I quickly booked accommodations at the Sofitel, which NEVER disappoints. The staff was courteous and helpful; the room clean and bright; the bed felt heavenly; the room service was prompt, hot, and delicious; and great shopping was just steps away!

Rooms are outdated with no USB connections. Low water pressure in shower. Bad views from room.

Large rooms and comfortable rooms. Excellent room service and Excellent very nice staff

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

No locks on bathroom doors! My husband and I worked out a "code". If the lights in bathroom are on, don't come in.

Staff was amazing. Junior suite wa ver large but really needs to be updated. Some new carpet, wallpaper, furniture, tv, etc., cosmetic updates. Room svc was great.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Luxury King Suite (2 Adults)

The time has come for some updates of the decor. Service in the restaurant was underwhelming.

The staff was exceptional and did everything they could to make our stay memorable.

• Superior King Room

The Bed could have been a little less firm or had some added softness with a thicker down cover.

After staying a night at the Hotel Palomar Kimpton right across the street from the Sofitel we decided to switch hotels as the Bed was extremely uncomfortable and way too firm. We called over to Sofitel and Lauren the front desk agent was lovely. She offered to upgrade our room to a suite for free and it was lovely. I will say that the bed was a a little less firm then the Palomar with a down comforter on top. Overall our stay was much better at the Sofitel and every staff member was very polite and helpful. Thank you again Lauren for the upgrade!

Browse Sofitel Philadelphia traveller photo gallery