Reviews of Sohotel 3 stars

341 Broome Street, Little Italy, New York, NY 10013, USA

#232 of 415 hotels in New York

• Standard Queen Room

They didn’t warn us that there would be construction starting at 8am with hammers and drilling on our floor. Not cool.

Location is cool. Pretty clean and nice wood flooring. Nice King bed with heated bathroom floor.

• Standard Queen Room

I was told on check in there would be renovations between 8:30 and 5pm. The renovations began at 8:30 and were directly outside and above my room. They were so loud, drilling, dropping large objects that I could not stay in the room during this time. After my second night I found a dead cockroach in my room and asked to be moved. The reception lady apologised for this and moved me for my final night which I was pleased with. However, I don't think they should put guests in the rooms directly next to where renovations are occurring with the noise being so loud.

Free tea and coffee in the reception area The reception staff seemed friendly Retro look - renovations are well in time though

• Premium Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Everything! The location, room and staff. Stylish hotel in a perfect location the room was very clean and comfortable. All was just wonderful. Definitely will be back soon.

• Premium Junior Suite

The hotel has no lift and 5 floors! The room we booked was the best room in the hotel but as was indicated on the site, at arrival me could get another room... The 'suite' we got was nice but way too small for the $400 per night we paid. The room was not more than an average size hotel room. Also the hotel has no breakfast facility. The weather was nice. so a 3 block walk was not a problem at all, but when it rains...

The location is absolutely fantastic if you like restaurants, Chinatown and Little Italy

• Standard Queen Room

It was a bit noisy being right on a busy corner. I stayed at another hotel a few weeks ago that must have better sound proof windows because the noise was not as bad.

Very friendly staff, clean and comfortable room and bed. They have coffee, tea and water in the lobby, plus vending machines. Several choices for restaurants and bars right down stairs.

• Premium Queen Room

Friendly and accommodating staff, great location on the lively lower east side, beautifully renovated room (premium king in my case) some construction going on that I barely noticed, no elevator- but if you want hardwood floors and exposed brick walls in a historic building in Manhattan you’ll have to compromise somewhere. Great value for the price in a wonderful area right between Chinatown and Little Italy.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Noise from the room above me was very annoying and the choice of TV channels was very limited, there was very limited storage space ( no drawers or wardrobe)

The staff were friendly and helpful, the bed was comfortable, the noise from the room above was very annoying and the choice of TV channels was very limited.

• Standard Queen Room

The music pounding away all night meant that getting to sleep was impossible! At 4am I went to ask a member of staff if he could do something about it. He treated my request like it was some kind of big deal. Talk about Fawlty Towers. Then during the inbetween moments when the pounding downstairs stopped there was constant “lobby music” which again, according to staff, could not be switched off.

Awful. Worst hotel experience of my life. A bar beneath the hotel is open each night until gone 4am. Music pounding all night long, literally making the walls vibrate. Barely slept the entire time we were there. Staff didn’t want to know.

• Standard Family Room

No ref inside the room ; rooms are a bit small and tight; no elevator

Good customer service, accessibility. Would like to give commendation to Amanda who gave us a free upgrade! Amazing hotel! Will definitely go back to that hotel!

• Standard Queen Room

I was travelling alone so I had a small room. I got over how small it was after a day but it was very noisy. I was on the 2nd floor on the Broome St side. It was a surprise there wasn’t a mini fridge + tea/coffee in the room. Overall I really enjoyed my stay but being able to have a hot drink in my room would have been nice. Also there is no lift. But the staff are more than happy to help with heavy suitcases.

Great location and friendly, helpful staff. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. There are a lot of awesome restaurants very close by. I went to the Italian place next door - very yummy + The Butchers Daughter - great for breakfast as is the Egg shop. Also being directly off Broadway it was great for shopping and easy to get home after a long day out. I only used the subway once and that was a short walk away and only 4 stops up to Time Square.

• Standard Family Room

The little thing is that there is no restroom in the lobby area (we have to walk back and force to our room to use restroom or sink since our room is on the third floor) but it might be good for the hotel to manage and security purpose( to reduce strangers just randomly stop by for the restroom)

Staffs are very kind also the hotel provides complimentary coffee and ice water which is very generous for travelers in nyc

• Deluxe Family Room

I really love the setting of this hotel and my room looks really great. Very clean and spacious. Friendly staff. Though no elevators, they will help you carry the luggage. No kettle in the room but free coffee and hot water is available at the reception area. Great location in Chinatown, 3-7 minutes to the subway (depending on your route).

• Standard Queen Room

Room was not to the quality I would have expected for the price. No breakfast, lament flooring was broken, bathroom was too small

Location, Staff were helpful

• Standard Queen Room

Builders starting work on room refurbishments at 9.00am shows hotels lack of respect for guests, and lack of effort with little touches like a bottle of water in the room not unreasonable to expect for over £200 a night, understood when booking no breakfasts available on site, but no reason why some breads and fruits couldn't have been provided.

Location was excellent and the reason for re-visiting this hotel and rooms whilst on small side have very comfortable beds

• Premium Queen Room

No elevator and I was on the 4th floor. Silly. That said, I got pretty great exercise. No iron/ironing board.

Room, while small, was beautiful and electronically really cool.

• Standard Queen Room

They work hard at getting you to upgrade your room before you arrive. Once there, they try again and then show you the room you're getting and the room you would have if you upgraded. Of course there is a significant difference, I wonder if the lesser room is always vacant for this purpose.

The staff was excellent and friendly. Good location.

• Standard Queen Room

I stayed in both the premium room and standard room. The premium room is really worth the money, every little details. Very nice hotel. Extremely helpful staff. Very convenient location.

nothing to report

Comfortable spacious room with two double beds. Beautiful bathroom. Staff very helpful and friendly. Tea and coffee available in reception area, including peppermint and herbal teas. No food available in hotel but lots of places within easy walking distance. No lift but staff will bring bags up to room.

• Standard Queen Room

Room was very small and impractical. Bathroom did the trick, but was very inconvenient from a practical perspective.

Great location. They are currently renovating the place, but we still had an older room. It was small, but did the trick - but that’s about it. You should basically pick this place if you want an affordable stay at a great location.

• Standard Family Room

The facility was clean and nice. The room across was under renovation which proved to show that the hotel cares about the customers. It is located close to Little Italy which are crowded until late at night. I felt safe going back to hotel even around 11pm. There are a lot of reasonably priced cafe and restaurants you can use!

• Standard Queen Room

Unfortunately there were construction works ongoing which hadn’t been announced before. Internet in the room hasn’t been working for most of our stay.

Centrally situated in Manhattan. During our stay we explored almost everything by foot. Hotel lobby stylish and modern.

• Standard Queen Room

No elevator (I have bad knees) but the porter brought my bag to the room.

I had one of their new rooms which was very nicely designed to the space. The reclaimed wood industrial style is very cool. Very comfy bed.

• Deluxe Family Room

Great staff and clean, spacious rooms. First time NY travelers usually end up in some Midtown tower hotel. Sohotel between Little Italy and Chinatown however is the perfect spot for a more authentic stay with shops, restaurants, bars, nightlife and busy streets around the clock. Free coffee and tea almost all day

• Standard Queen Room

We felt a significant pressure to upgrade on arrival and having said no it felt like we were given a deliberately tiny room to encourage the upgrade.

The hotel reception area was lovely and the facilities outside of our room were very cool.

• Standard Queen Room

There was building works going on from 8am every morning in the rooms along side, this included drilling and hammering. The air conditioner in the room rattled so hard you had to turn it off as it would wake you up. Honestly a very poor experience.

The location was very good

• Deluxe Family Room

the inconsistency of the front desk staff you get People like Eric that go out of their way to make sure everything and everyone is comfortable and happy and then you get some people that almost shout at you when you ask for something .....just 2 things that stood out 1 - no waste paper basket in the bathroom ...... with 3 ladies sharing 2 - no telephones in the rooms Not quite sure how to get hold of reception in case of an emergency i know there was free wifi but our network didn’t allow us to make calls .....hence the question ??

Loved the location, the decor, and the personal attention that you don’t get in a huge hotel

• Standard Queen Room

Warm welcome from all the staff at the hotel. I stayed for 27 nights on business and could not have picked a better hotel in Soho. The location, style of the hotel and excellent service from all staff from GM to the housekeeping team was exceptional. I would recommend the hotel to anyone and will definitely stay again.

• Standard Queen Room

Very misleading photos of up to date bathrooms are shown online, but when we arrived the bathroom was incredibly dated and dingy, cracked floor tiles, stains on the walls and in the shower. We were told that it is 'very difficult to put all photos up on online'. Very basic hotel at the end of the day and I wouldn't stay there again or recommend a friend to stay.

Good location for SoHo and lower east side

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The water pressure was a bit weak.

Tall Ceilings,Ceiling fan, Spacious Room (queen deluxe). Great location minutes from Chinatown, Little Italy, and Soho. Staff was very Friendly and accomadating. Tons of wonderful restaurants just minutes from the hotel.

• Premium Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Noisy! There was a lot of noise that meant two nights of disturbed sleep. Not much in the way of sound proofing between rooms/corridors. They need to invest in some soft swing door closers as the constant banging of doors was insane! We spoke to the front desk about this, they offered to move our room but we realised it was going to be a gamble. We also mentioned that they should have warned us some renovation work was going on and perhaps a slight discount on rates would be suitable. On airing our frustrations (fairly but honestly) we were told we can leave, they're not holding us hostage! Odd response really. It's a shame, such a nice hotel but as can be the case hotels don't think or care about guests having a good night's sleep!

Super cool place, friendly staff and good location. The beds were comfortable and while the rooms aren't massive they worked out fine for three of us. We didn't spend much time in the actual room anyway. There's three restaurants below the hotel that you can get 10-15% discount at below although being New York that's still quite pricey! They are individual businesses but have a partnership with the hotel. Besides, it borders Bowery, Nolito, Chinatown so there's are tons of food options nearby. The nearest subway (Grand - B/D line) is just a block or two away - 3/4 mins walk.

• Standard Twin Room

Very helpful and accommodating staff. The twin room has an odd layout but is a very effective use of space for a small NYC room. Love the neighborhood. The hotel room was incredibly quiet all day and night.

• Standard Twin Room

Hip boutique hotel in great location between Little Italy, Chinatown and Soho. Close to subways. Old brownstone building with cool vibe. I will come back.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Small for 4 adults Could be an issue for some to walk up stairscase to 4 th floor ( no lifts).

Newly refurbished room In bathroom: Heated floors, heated room ,2 shower heads, Very speedy service Creative decor

• Standard Twin Room

Pictures of the Standard Twin room on Booking.com were of a different, higher room category. The room was tiny and corridor-shaped with limited floor space for opening a suitcase. The window faced a brick wall with no outside view. The room we got for the first night would have been fine if its price had been about 50 % lower. The pictures had given us a completely different idea of the room we had booked. I had to explain the situation several times to different people before they eventually arranged us an upgrade for our second and final night. First they suggested that we should pay for the upgrade even though the photos and reality were far apart. The upgraded room we finally got was very nice.

• Standard Queen Room

Hotel was under renovation which I was not told about until check in when front desk said construction would start before 8 am. That is completely unacceptable

• Premium Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No elevator, but not a surprise - it's a 100 year old building! Exercise is good :)

Loved the hotel design, beautiful decor, helpful staff, great location, lots of cool shops & eateries.

• Premium Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Totally satisfied with this hotel. The staff is exceptional friendly and helps in any situation. Location is perfect to go shopping on broadway or to have a drink in the nearby bars and the subway is right around the corner. The hotel provides a all day coffee and lemon water bar in front of the reception which is pretty convenient. I will definitely book this accommodation again

• Standard Triple Room

They don't have elevators, they don't offer water or coffee facilities in the bedrooms, and the bedrooms are very small. We booked a room for 3 people and it was hard to move around the room, there was no real space to open the luggage, the door didn't fully opened, the bathroom was very cold and tiny. The check-in time is quite late, at 3pm and the check-out is at 11am. Also they don't offer breakfast. Lastly, considering the name of the hotel one would consider that is located in the middle of the SOHO, actually is not, is located in the very border with Chinatown.

The building was nice, and the staff were also nice.

• Standard Family Room

Standard family room is way to small for 5 people. Next time we will book deluxe and hopefully have more room to walk around. It's ok though we made do and the hotel is so amazing as well as the staff that I will still return. I recommend for solo travelers, couples or family of 3 total not for 5. Unless you book 2 rooms.

Love the decor. Such a beautiful hotel. Staff was amazing and very accommodating. Location was great. Very clean.

• Standard Twin Room

SO loud- band at night ( weekend) played till after 1 ;@ the downstairs bar 2 floors under room - housekeeping keeps cart in hallway during day and converses loudly ; could have just been an unlucky room placement Recommend trying the top floor - second floor will dissapoint

Great location ; clean and comfy - the noise was the only issue

• Standard Family Room

No coffee making facilities in the room although the hotel provides free tea and coffee in the morning and the evening (not early enough when adjusting from UK time though!).

Excellent location for exploring Downtown Manhattan. The room was a good size for New York and was very comfortable

• Standard Queen Room

No elevator, very strong floral perfume air freshener at entrance.

Best pizza in NYC next door in Piacere, gray bar next door at Randolph Beer, 2 blocks from Little Italy. Great, accomodating staff.

• Premium Queen Room

Biggest drawback was noise. Walls are paper thin. Other quibbles were more minor - lighting is a little dim and shower was a little weak.

Mostly a good stay. Good sized room for NY. Well designed. Comfortable. Staff was nice.

• Standard Queen Room

They could have a phone in the room, this would facilitate the communication with the lobby (they let u text them, but not everybody has a cellphone with a chip that works in the US and msgs are less personal). And if u are older or have knees problem, I wouldn’t recommend because they don’t have elevator and there is a lot of stairs.

The staff are really lovely, always smiling an helpful no matter what your problem is. I did the upgrade for the king room and have no single regret, the room was spacious, gorgeous decoration and the heated floor on the bathroom makes a positive difference in this cold. I really enjoy the hole environment of this historical hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

This was our sixth visit to New York and the Sohotel was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. It was very clean and the staff were all very helpful. It's location in historic Soho (south of Houston Street) is excellent and much quieter than mid town - 200 yards from both China town and Little Italy. We shall definitely be returning to this hotel and recommend it very highly.

• Standard Queen Room

I didn't like being on the 2nd floor and when i asked for a higher room they couldn't help me out - though they did give me a much bigger room with a window that opened to the street which was a better spot - but an odd room for a single person ( 2 double beds / 1 single bed). I

Lobby and common areas are stunning. Rooms are clean and comfortable but kind of boxy and not well laid out. It was quiet and comfortable though and the staff were very nice and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

There is no elevator. You have to walk up the stairs. I was on the fourth floor. Also, the hotel is under renovation. Construction started at 8:45 am! The room was tiny. I found a hair ball in the shower. The room was cold, but there was a space heater you could use.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The decor was very nice.

• Standard Queen Room

I’ve stayed here a few times. Walls are paper thin and although we were upgraded the bathroom gave me the impression of a cruise ship. However piacere the restaurant has the best pizza!

Location by Bowery ballroom Staff very accommodating Clean and basic

• Deluxe Family Room

Hmm... the bathroom light leaked water. Didn't cause any hardship and staff were all over it.

The staff showed us room options, greeted us with familiarity, and were very attentive when we needed a few details seen to. The beds were extremely comfortable, and we appreciated having a room with big windows. Loved the style and attitude, very consistent from decor to the personality of staff.

• Standard Queen Room

Very nice & safe area, easy walking distance to the Grand St Subway. Excellent hotel and a very comfortable room. Staff were very helpful. Free Ice machines in the hallways were brilliant, but this may be more common in America than elsewhere. Very happy with this hotel and would stay again! Samsung TV in the room played all kinds on media on USB easily.

• Standard Twin Room

Standard rooms are very small, so do not expect to get what you see on the picture. There is no elevator, but quite a lot of stairs. housekeeping once came at night (9:30). Upon arrival there were hairs in the shower of the previous guests. It was difficult to controll the heater, we had to open the window at night to cool the room down. The water in the shower runs very slow due to low pressure.

The hotel is near to Subway station, China Town and Little Italy. People at the reception are very helpfull

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The first room we were put in was super tight, no room to move so we had to upgrade for space. Also, there are no elevators.

I liked the premium room with a bathtub and heated bathroom floors.

• Standard Queen Room

If we had to mention something we weren't so keen on it was that you can clearly hear conversations in the next room, and hallway. The bed creaked quite a bit when moving around but it was very clean and comfortable and we slept well each night.

Pulling up at the Sohotel we were a little bit nervous as Bowery St looks like a construction site, but not once were we disturbed, nor did we hear any work. We were offered an upgrade from a Standard to a Premier room, for a good price, but we decided to keep the extra money for eating out. We really enjoyed the hotel, the staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful, and full of knowledge and advice about the immediate neighbourhood and NYC, the decor is a mix of eclectic and industrial styles that is so interesting and looks great. The rooms are small and comfortable and has everything required including a shower with great hot water pressure. One of the best things about staying at Sohotel is the location! Little Italy (2 or 3 blocks) and Chinatown (2 or 3 blocks) are within easy walking distance, as are the Subway stations on Grand (slightly closer) and Spring. An awesome coffe and breakfast place is the 2 Hands on Mott st, off Broome. We also loved the sushi spot a little farther along Broome (sushi Quan) and of course Piacere (in the Sohotel block) and Randolph Beer (also in the block).

• Standard Queen Room

I didn’t like how small the room was for the amount of money that was paid for, I think it’d be nice if there were a microwave inside the room. The space most of all would be better if it were bigger.

I like the area itself , close enough to the train station. It’s a great area to order food and being delivered. The entrance and atmosphere of the hotel is very mellow and nice.

• Standard Twin Room

We were very upset to be shown a room, initially, so tiny the beds had to be positioned in a line, rather than side by side and there was virtually no light, the window looked out onto what appeared to be a concrete shaft. Our disappointment was made worse by the fact that I had stayed at the hotel the year previously in a fabulous room. When we expressed our disappointment, we were given a different room.

The beds were extremely comfortable and we loved the decor.

• Standard Queen Room

room was a bit small. no elevator in the hotel though stuff helped with suitcase. bathroom was a bit poor, not like in photos, was a bit hard to control the water tempature. shower was the weakest part.

good value for money. very pleasent stuff. clean. comfortable bed.

• Standard Queen Room

Our room was a bit of a shoebox, but it ended up being the perfect shoebox!

The bed and pillows were super comfy. The staff were so helpful. The vibe was cool. The area was close enough to everything - great food, awesome shopping and subway around the corner. The restaurant adjacent to the hotel had a beautiful jazz band playing music the one night which was lovely popping into. Some food stops - Russ&Daughters (bagel) $$, The Fat Radish $$, Two Hands $, Bluestone Lane $, the Broken Coconut $, Roberta’s (pizza in Brooklyn) $$

• Deluxe Family Room

Hotel offered $5 discount for parking. But parking hut did not redeem it and his excuse is we have to park over 24 hrs. The hotel did not mention anything about 24hours at all. Maybe just the parking guy was rude.

Convenient location near Chinatown and little Italy.

• Standard Queen Room

The way that the personal on reception push you to upgrade your room when you arrive. The room was so dusty, and extremely noisy.

The bed was super comfy and the underfloor heating in the bathroom was a nice surprise.

• Deluxe Family Room

The heat in the room was a little warm and hard to adjust. But otherwise, everything was great.

Beds were comfortable and the space was roomy. We loved the urban chic decor. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

Great place to stay in lower Manhattan. A nice break from midtown. Chinatown and Little Italy right around the corner. Great restaurants, friendly people, incredibly helpful staff. I will definitely stay here again.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was tiny, overheated and very very noisy due to the extractor fans for the bar and restaurant below us being outside our window. View of a dirty rooftop. Couldn't open window as dirty air from the fans was blowing into the room and causing an unpleasant smell.

• Deluxe Family Room

As it is an old building the heating was noisy at times.

The exposed brick and wood gave the rooms a cool vibe which matched with a number of restaurants and diners in the area. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the complimentary tea and coffee was very welcome. Beds were particularly comfortable and I liked the fragrance of the toiletries that were provided.

• Standard Family Room

Awesome place to stay! Really enjoyed it. Great location, few good pubs downstairs. Broadway street is close by if you're a shopping addict. Definitely will choose this Hotel again, when back to NY.

• Standard Family Room

I wish the water with lemon provided downstairs would stay out all night. And the fact that there was no elavator.

The bell hopper was nice, friendly and carried my heavy bag all the way up two flights of stairs.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Very noisy in the hotel. Was woken up both nights and early morning by other hotel guests coming in and out of their rooms. Rooms need to be soundproofed.

The bed was comfortable. I loved the location.

• Standard Twin Room

Minor issues you should be aware of (didn't bother me): - rooms aren't big - no elevator. You go up stairs - you may hear couples having sex in adjacent rooms

- hip and original design - great location - friendly staff

• Standard Twin Room

Lack of food facilities inside the hotel and no tea or coffee provision in the room. We arrived later in the night and had to Walk out for a hot drink.

Lack of restaurant in the hotel. However loads of places nearby so I get it isn’t needed. Staff were lovely n very helpful. Great location

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The stairs were great for keeping fit, but if you are less mobile they could be a problem

I wanted to take the shower and the bed home with me. Sadly, the airline could not accommodate :)

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Room was too hot. Heating is hard to regulate - old New York building Room felt much smaller than shown in pictures. Room 215 was right next to public bathroom and staff room - door slamming and toilet flushing were so loud that it woke us up multiple times. Bed scarfs and blankets should be washed after every traveler - we found hair that didn't belong to us. Too expensive for what it offers - especially with breakfast not included.

the location most staff was friendly nice lobby allergy-free bedding no pets

• Standard Queen Room

Nothing to really dislike. Pressure in the shower could have been better.

The location was extremely convenient - well connected through public transport, and lots of shops and eating places within easy walking distance. The room was clean, and very comfortable for our 2 night stay. The shower facitlity for freshening up after check-out is useful

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our first room was just plain unacceptable. Just take it off the list of rooms for paying guests - use it as a store room. Also, did not like the accounting practice of cancelling an authorised payment and then having to pay again when we checked out. This really weird practice blocked almost $3000 on my credit card with another week of travelling. Not cool. Also delayed our checkout which we assumed would be quick because we had already paid, so we were later getting to the station.

Loved the concierge staff - they were wonderful and amazing. Shout out to David. Loved the coffee/hot chocolate station and the proximity to wonderful restaurants.

• Standard Queen Room

This hotel is mostly for youngster since does not have an elevator. Stuff helps to bring up your luggage but not everyone is able to climb the stairs

Chic hotel, different, interesting, friendly staff, good location

• Deluxe Family Room

The shower was a bit weak and either scolding or cold, but I am being petty - the place is great.

Fantastic situation with loads of restaurants around. Great hotel.

• Standard Queen Room

Unfortunately, I had a sleepless night due to being located near the employee office / room, hearing a screaming child for most of the night, the air con sounded like it may break at any moment and doors slamming.

Although I had an uncomfortable sleepless night the staff were very pleasant and polite and handled my complaint with the upmost professionalism.

Browse Sohotel traveller photo gallery