Reviews of Best Western Plus South Bay Hotel 3 stars

15000 Hawthorne Boulevard, Lawndale, CA 90260, USA

#2 of 3 hotels in Lawndale

Having to go to the lobby every night for a breakfast ticket. Not enough veggie options for breakfast.

The room look liked the pictures. Breakfast was good.

Breakfast was an absolute disaster. Mine was a bowl of cornflakes eaten off a coffee table in the reception. Couldnt get in the dining room and staff rude and unhelpful. The problem was a large rude tourist party occupied the entire dining area. Their breakfast should have been arranged for a specific earlier time.

The airport transfers were efficient and on time. Great for us as our stay was literally an overnighter between flights and the main reason for our stay. Room was good and served our needs.

I loved how mostly all the stores and food places were around the hotel, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staffs were friendly. Definitely coming back again

My room was comfortable, the staff was nice, I was pleasantly surprised by the breakfast option, I would totally recommend it. Location was really convenient, many places to walk and eat.

The hotel is a bit old, and the breakfast was a bit too simple, though it is worth the value for the cost (nothing fancy but also not bad at all).

It had an excelent location and the staff was very friendly. Many restaurants and supermarkets at walking distance from the hotel. The transportation from the airport was arranged smoothly at our arrival and when we left the hotel.

Places to eat in the neighborhood, uber and lyft close by if needed to go to beach etc. 20-30 min ride to airport. Nice to have breakfast. Reasonable price. Clean, friendly.

This place could really use a good renovation, some lighting on the outside and definitely a good scrubbing! The amenities were blah...mini fridge was old and unsanitized, the only washer/dryer combo on the 1st floor was broken, the towels and wash cloths were filthy, and instead of providing mini bottles of the usual body soap, shampoo, lotion, etc....there is (get this) a dispenser at the sink and in the shower, labeled with soap and lotion...but filled with who knows what! Yuck... The parking lot is small, the entrance door near the pool is propped open all night, and appeared to be stuck/broken. The area is a bit sketchy, so this was very concerning for me. Hollywood was about 30-40 minutes away, without traffic...

This hotel meets the saying, "you get what you pay for". The price was affordable, free parking and close to LAX...

The power went out on our last night and no one even communicated to us that it was going to be turned off . I didn’t appreciate this factor . The room although clean looked tired and was in need of some TLC

Location was central to most things

A little further from airport but acceptable based on price, Free shuttle and free breakfast. Staff willing to assist

Set breakfast portion appropriate for adults. Shuttle is good, takes 15-20 min depending on the location of van.

Only one airport shuttle per hour which meant a waiting time at the airport of 45 min. It would be helpful to know the timing of the shuttle. Could this be added to the website?

Comfortable bed.

The WiFi signal was poor and frequently dropped out. That is one significant reason I chose this hotel over others is to have WiFi. Finding a parking spot was difficult. I often had to park at the far end of the property.

Good overall value for the stay. I was surprised at how much n the other is labeled in Chinese.

Breakfast was very basic, lots of room for improvement, but nice to have a bite to eat in the morning.

Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly, as were the shuttle drivers.

The shampoo/conditioner didn’t work so had none. The temperature in shower was horrendous either ice cold or scalding! My mom forgot her cane we are at airport manager would not let shuttle run it over do we could get it till 2hrs later which we would have missed our flight. Reception said they would not mail it out although all the signs state you will. Pretty awfull if staff to make a crippled lady suffer!!

Bed was very comfy. Check in guy was awesome the rest were ok.

Even though there is no street noise, some noise does come from the room above- choose the top floor.

A very good choice for one of the most economical stays near LAX offering breakfast from 6 and free shuttle or parking. Second time we have stayed. Rooms are well maintained, VERY clean and comfortable and updated.

The breakfast was in a restaurant in the hotel with limited choices, the location is not that good, one morning there was a group of young people in the hotel parking that was drunk and smoked weed.

Very nice and helpful staff, large rooms.

We stayed twice during our holiday trip. The carpet odour smelt bad in two out of the four rooms we stayed in.

Rooms are clean. Hotel location close to airport.

The shower lacked pressure, made worse due to the bath tap diverter not functioning well. The bottom of the bathroom door had water damage swelling, lowered the otherwise reasonable standard. The air conditioner was old and noisy, would wake when it started up. Sound insulation isn't great, was kept awake by the person snoring in the next room. Swim clothes had a fair bit of what appeared to be dead skin on (not all mine...) when getting out of the outdoor hot tub.

Comfortable, friendly, helpful, mostly pleasant stay

This property shouldn’t be called Best Western Plus, the quality is below Plus standard.

The Mexican lady at front desk allowed us to have early check in while the Blackman in the front act Bossy and rude.

Quicker pick up, but for the distance from the airport can't complain; we missed the previous shuttle by minutes so had to wait a bit longer.

Easy to communicate with, good pick up service from the airport although it does take about 15 minutes; the rooms were clean and comfortable and while this may be a bit of an older hotel it has been kept in very good condition, doesn't show the age, just a bit dated, a good value for the money. The rooms were pleasant and comfortable, great parking for those who need it. Staff were friendly and helpful. Great breakfast, exceeded expectations, quality ingredients, tasty.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Breakfasts are unfortunately sub-standard. These certainly need improving a lot to meet acceptable world early day meal standards. Cheap comes to mind. :(

Excellent airport shuttle response and service. Staff very helpful. Location 15 mins from lax makes this a very good option for both arrivals and departures.

there was a restaurant in the hotel i wanted to have dinner while i was on my cell and there was only one other customer in the restaurant the waitress told me stop taking on the phone or leave .I didn't know noonday can use his cell in a restaurant she was a Chinese descent waitress , it was must funny thing I had heard in my entire life .

shuttle and distance to airport

We got there after 10 and most restaurants in the area were closed. No fault of the hotel.

Clean, quiet, convenient to both the airport and the cruise dock.

Mr. Johnson was very rude. He lacks a lot of customer service skills. I called ahead to see if I can check in earlier since I was going to be arriving sooner. I was told it was ok, but Mr . Johnson wasn't accommodating, in fact he was very much attached to his little t.v. Staff couldn't get the spa to heat up and was dirty

Clean

Good location, mostly because is near LAX and next to Redondo Beach and Long Beach. Not far away from Downtown LA (~20 miles). Lots of stores nearby (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Toys R Us...), some malls nearby (South Bay Galleria) and restaurants (El Taco, Mc Donald's, Burger King, Panda Express). Big parking lot, comfortable hotel.

One of your workers was using a water hose outside in the parking lot and wet up our car we just paid money to have wash before we got to the hotel

It was accessible to everything and there's a restaurant on site free parking

Aircon was extremly noisy in room. Needed it on but was a pain. Bathroom toilet kept making random flushes and again very lously making our over night experience not very gd when your trying to sleep. Breakfast is a set menu of 4 choices. Never came across this in usa before. Little bowl of fruit, small dollop of scrambled eggs or a pancake and toast. Tea coffee or sunny delight (meant to be orange juice). Very poor.

Was handy for our needs. Parking onsite.

• Triple Room with One King and One Twin Bed

This is an older property but every effort has been made to make it as comfy as possible. The courtesy shuttle to the airport is convenient & the complimentary breakfast was excellent. Bear in mind that it is on a main road so traffic noise is a nuisance. Great value for money.

I booked with booking.com for two nights. At the hotel I gave my id and credit card, signed the form and was given a room with two key cards. I returned to the room at 9:30pm after being out all day to find neither keycard worked. On attending reception I found that the card had been deactivated, I was being accused of fraud and staff had entered my room and taken my property (my luggage tag). The receptionist was the same one who had checked me in, she remembered me and, after checking my id again said it was a mistake on their part and let me into the room. At midnight the manager rang me waking both my partner and I. He demanded that I pay for the room or be ejected. Despite the fact I could prove the booking was in my name and that the hotel had already charged my card he demanded I hand over my credit card or he would call the police. I tried to explain to him again and in the end told him I was going back to bed and would sort it in the morning. To cut a long story short, he did then call the police, they attended and despite me proving I was booked in and had paid, they made me pay again as “it’s easier for you you can go to bed and just claim it back”

The hotel was clean, the towels white and fluffy and the bed comfortable.

• Executive King Room

The worst and the dirtiest 3* hotel I have ever stayed at. Filthy dirty. Terrible breakfast - everything was cold and without any taste plus no choice.

The breakfast was nice with nice size portions. The staff who were serving the breakfast were not nice. My sister ordered bacon and I understood that we would have to pay extra but that was not a problem. The problem was she wanted to eat it with her breakfast. The bacon did not get delivered with her breakfast though. They waited till we were all done to deliver the bacon. Never once did they ask our party of 6 how our food was or if we needed refills on our drinks. They even made my husband and daughter sit at a different table than us. When I told the waitress he was with the rest of us she looked at me as if she didn't understand a word I was saying. Maybe it was because he is of a different race than us. I was not a happy person. Felt very disrespected.

The person who checked us in was very nice.

Breakfast was basic with no frills (eg...we could have tea or juice but not both !) Getting downtown by public transport is not easy

Closeness to LAX, Very cooperative Manager

So many things didn't work. The laundry room was out of order, every drinking vending machine on every floor didn't work. The snack vending machine was out of order and the room safe didn't work. When we asked for water in the restaurant with our breakfast we were told to go out in the lobby and get our water.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable.

The bathtub faucet had a heavy leak. The room was very outdated, dark with poor lighting. If I hadn't checked in late in the evening I would have requested another room or not stayed there at all. I doubt that I'd stay here again. For me, the price point isn't worth it and you can do better for less.

Price, the pool area looked nice and clean, they offer free breakfast and it's in a good location.

We hv requested free shuttle as per yr specification to you and you hv forwarded request to hotel with flight details. Shuttle came after 1 hour. Bathroom door was not closing. We have to sing and take bath so that other knows occupied. Microwave you hv specified reality not their.

WiFi was somewhat unreliable (phone often dropped connection and never managed to connect laptop), although this may be because I was right at the farthest end of the corridor on the top floor.

Comfortable rooms, clean. I asked for a high room away from elevators and got this no problem. Free coffee (good); breakfast was OK though little choice. Not far from airport (flight crews often there). Not fancy but a good value decent hotel. Seemed safe (all corridors and public spaces with CCTV, constantly monitored).

Non-smoking room still smelled like smoking, and there were no other rooms available. Common areas need updating, and fixtures in room need updating. Staff was sort of helpful but seemed annoyed anytime you asked them for help.

Bed was comfortable and toiletries were good quality. Overall seemed quiet.

since check in, the maid didn't provide any additional toilet paper on a three day stay???? seemed a little odd.

staff was very helpful, polite, friendly and considerate. the breakfast was great, wide variety of breakfast food to pick through. the rooms were a decent size-no microwave BUT it had a fridge. parking lot has enough space. on the opposite side it appears their making some sort of upgrades. range of nationalities and the location is next to the 405 freeway!

It really is a cheap motel, It does not deserve the Best Western Plus title. The rooms are extremely outdated and the carpet in the hallway is quite dirty. The rooms reminded us of cheap and old motels. We pay 120$ and for a motel is very expensive

The hotel is not too far from LAX and offers a free hourly shuttle! The rooms are very clean

High chairs in the restaurant for breakfast would have been very helpful. More blankets in the room

Crib provided, nice rooms, comfortable for family with small kids. Great on-time airport shuttle (free) provided. Staff very friendly. Appreciated the welcome water, coffee, tea in reception area. Big TV with cable. Close to shops and restaurants.

There is airport free shuttle. You just need to call the hotel after you landing and wait 20 minutes. We arrived at the hotel at 9am. The front staff said we can check in at 12.00. So We just wait at the lobby, but then at 10.00 the staff said we could check in earlier, the room is ready. It such a comfort,after a 17 hours flight 😊. We have breakfast, and it's ok. There's a bus stop right next to hotel.and train st. About 15 minutes take bus. About 1 hour to go to downtown LA. Thank you best western staff for give us earlier check in!

Just the carpets seemed worn & tired looking. If the Hotel underwent a upgrade, new carpet & fresh paint, it would be up there with the 4-5 star Hotels.

Only one night on route from Australia to Washington. Just what we needed. The Hotel is a bit tired in the Hallways, but our room was fine. The beds were super comfortable especially the pillows & just what we needed after a 14 hour flight. We were concerned about having to wait until 2pm to check into our room, arriving in LA at 6am, but your lovely lady on duty gave us our key on arrival, so we were able to settle in & have a few hours nap before going sight seeing. We crashed at 8pm & got our wake up call at 4am, feeling refreshed & ready for our next flight. Your staff were friendly & helpful, including the Shuttle Bus drivers. We would definitely use Best Western Plus again when in LA. Thank You 👍

Bathroom had hair and dust when we came in . Pool gate did not locked so there were some non- hotel guests at the pool. Breakfast has only 4 choices so not good for the long stay. Not Best Western Plus quality.

Noisy air con, but we turned it on while we went for something to eat so it cooled the room down when we came back. But during the night we had to turn it back on again - and it was loud.

Really comfy beds.

We picked it as a stop over hotel. Very little information about how to get to sights in Los Angeles. Public bus and train information not forthcoming. Would have needed it to see anything of LA. not information about how to find the free shuttle before arriving

The staff let us check in early which was much appreciated after a long flight which landed early. Gym and Computer area were really well done

Receptionist wasn't very friendly. Had huge difficulties getting a shuttle. Called before my plane left to confirm airport pick-up. Still waited nearly 2 hours to get picked up, with multiple hang ups from receptionist. Will not stay here again.

I reserved my airport shuttle and reminded twice throughout the day and it was still 35 min late after I kept telling them I would be late for my flight. It was quite stressful.

They had a room ready for me in the morning

Have requested a single bed for my grandoghther.i was not passedt on..therefore they charged me extra.the bedsheet had blood spots on it and i layed in it.when complained..rudely they said we cleen it.asked for a fifferent room.. did not get it..so i cheched out a day early and cheched in to La Quinta..leaving LA tonight...

the curtains get in the way of the aircon vent. the carpeting in the hall ways needs to be replaced, it has seen better days

I like the pillows and the size of the bed

Got a room that was next to the ice machine, close to elevator and laundry room. The noise was terrible. Sleeping or relaxing was not possible. Staff was not able to give us another room or help us in any other possible way. Also, the room was old (several spots on the carpet) and it smelled like chemicals. Would definitely not recommend or stay here again.

Close to LAX.

Did not warn about the renovations taking place. Disappointed with the airport shuttle driver left us at a domestic terminal (No 7) in LAX though we told him that we were leaving for an overseas destination (Abu Dhabi). Should have advised us and drop us at the Bradley International Terminal. Wasted our time to move our heavy luggage to wait and board the connecting shuttles between the LAX terminals.

Porridge for breakfast. Gentleman at reception was friendly. Free shuttle to/fro LAX. Size of room.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Neighborhood is less than desirable but not too bad.

Nice, clean room. Friendly, accommodating staff. Convenient, secure parking. Freeway close. Four miles (15 minutes) to the beach. I would stay again.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Not conveniently located

The hotel is far from downtown, but there were some supermarkets and grocery stores nearby, which was really convenient. The free hotel shuttle was also great, and the staff was friendly and nice, too.

- the amount of noise from other guests due to thin walls - apparently a non smoking hotel however other guests were smoking cigarettes as well as other more herbal substances - very basic breakfast

- good size room - very clean - good parking

In a very bad neighborhood There was a door in between our room and our neighbor's room. Our neighbor were smoking majijuana in their room and kept trying to open this door - they tried at least 5 times - which was really weird. The isolation is really poor and we could understand our neighbors when they were talking. The hotel is really noisy. No hair dryer

Close to the airport

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The restaurant was terrible the owner was very rude when we asked for a to go box The morning before it was no problem the 2nd day was impossible. I suffer from a disease and I'm unable to eat all my food in one sitting. I shouldn't have to explain myself. The hotel offered free breakfast. It didn't mention we Werent allowed to take our food to our room if we are unable to finish

Front desk was great

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

The walls are too thin. I could hear next door chap talking on his phone at 3am. I had to go and ask him to be quiet after security did nothing when I reported it.

Cigarette small everywhere! Big price for nothing! Noisy you will hear everything from your different rooms. We can’t sleep whole night. Everything pretty old and dirty. Service is also terrible.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

It's a bit far from the Hollywood, but it is near the airport.

Breakfast is good! Room is Clean. Staff and shuttle driver are very helpful. Safe Place.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Na

3rd time staying at this hotel in 5 years. They r amazing. Clean, pillows amazing and fluffy, bed so comfy! They have a free breakfast right in hotel that is great, not a continental, actually fresh ... very delicious. The pool is open alwways and the hot tub great bubbles. Its right by LAX and major freeways and has a shuttle to LAX. Lawndale is so close to everything. Thank you Best Western!!

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

The room condition was very good for an older building. Upgrades to bathroom ventilation, toilets and TV were great. Room H/AC system was the usual noisy but functional type. The elevator was in good condition. I say this because is often an indicator of overall building maintenance. The exercise room look very nice but I didn't have time to use it. The room was quiet even though the walls are not well insulated. I attribute that to quiet neighbors. Plenty of free parking is also a plus. The included breakfast was limited and okay. Hot water was really hot and immediate. Hooray!

Breakfast was served quickly but eggs were cold. We didn't complain but left no tip. We're booked in again this Friday so will mention our dissatisfaction then & request that our order be served hot. Thanks.

Very good value for cost. Transfer from & to LAX very good. Staff very helpful & pleasant.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

They illegally charged my account. Noel the assistant manager was really rude and disrespectul.He did not give good customer service. Best western conducts business poorly.

The staff was rude

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Breakfast was horrible. Always cold and very little variety. Did not like the neighborhood and limited restaurants in the area.

It was convenient to where we needed to go.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

I thought from the website that the hotel had a fireplace but it didn't. Also, the breakfast wasn't hot (lukewarm pancakes, sausages...).

The staff was VERY accommodating.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

It took an hour and a half to get picked up at airport. and driver flew by us twice! Breakfast not very good at all. Not a buffet Roach in bathroom.

Accountant came to my assistance when I had a problem.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Noise proofing between rooms not good Kept awake nearly all one night with persistent talking and laughing from adjoining room which only lessened when I banged on the wall! Also seemed to be quite a lot of plumbing noises

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

Washer and dryer were both broken. I was unable to clean my clothes. No decaf coffee served at the restaurant or in the lobby. I had to ask waitress for milk for my coffee. They serve artificial/powdered creamer. Limited breakfast selection. Food was prepared in advance and cold. Small portions of food. Scrambled eggs didn't taste real. I would have preferred a breakfast buffet like most of the Best Westerns I have frequented serve. The pool had an oily film on the surface and the bottom of the hot tub was dirty. They were obviously not cleaned and I wouldn't use either. This hotel should not be rated a Best Western Plus hotel. I've stayed in several standard Best Western hotels that were far superior. It's located in a business area, but nearby areas seem sketchy and unsafe.

Staff was friendly and took bags to my room and wouldn't accept a tip. Comfortable beds, good sized room and roomy bathroom. Free parking. Free newspapers. Close to the 405.

The breakfast wasn't what I expected compared to the best Western n gardena in fact this facility lacks in comparison to the newer facility over there

I love all best Western hotels

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Breakfast was a bit weird - served in a Chinese restaurant with a semi Asiatic bent. And not a lot of it which is bit unexpected for the US... There is also not much around the hotel in terms of eating/drinking etc.

Clean basic mo/hotel with parking and reasonable in room facilities. Good base for exploring LA (if you have a car).

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

Hot breakfast? Breakfast did not live up to expectation. A pre-prepared plate with a small amount of scrambled egg, Very salty sausage with a choice of one slice of toast or pancake, and choice of cup of coffee or juice. Either of which was served in a cup. A standard, help yourself basic buffet, would have sufficed.

The hotel is conveniently situated.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

We did found cocroach in one room. Also room next elevator room is like sleeping in the freeway.

Pool and hot tube. Friendly stuff. Parking. Internet room with printer.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Take time to wait for the shuttle and the bus was full , we are 3 adults and 1 had to sit on the floor.

Free shuttle bus, easy to ask for breakfast box.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Continental breakfast was not good - you could get or coffee or juice or tea but no refills. Just enough to not leave to hungry.

Free coffee in lobby. Free Wifi access.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Hotel was old, it was not soundproof- we heard people walking upstairs and voices from the other rooms around us. Breakfast was weird, while complimentary, it was by plate in a small Chinese restaurant, and not appropriate for small children.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

The place looks like it's undergoing construction little by little. Updating the bathrooms, carpets, and such would have been nice, but it didn't feel unclean just a little outdated. The outlet by the bed was hanging out of the wall, but it was a spacious room!

Great AC and a big tv in the middle of the room was really nice to have. Good space for the price on a holiday weekend and close to most things. Walkable to Starbucks! :)