Reviews of South Beach Plaza Hotel 3 stars

#246 of 390 hotels in Miami Beach

Based on 2050 hotel reviews

6.2

Not bad

The first room I was in had a terrible smell as did the lobby. They moved me to another room and it was a little better but it still smelled of mildew we spent most of our time outside

Staff was great and the location was fabulous very nice bar and patio fried calamari to die for!

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Bad facilities. Good location

The beds literally squeaked so badly. The bathroom door wouldn't shut. It wasn't the best stay. Lot of things were dirty. The AC flap wouldn't turn, so we were hot during most of our stay

Location wise it's a good place.but services and facilities aren't good at all.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Very central but quite old

The hotel would need renovation, you tend to avioid touching any object in the room because they look old / greasy. The breakfast was available between 7.30 and 9.30. Come on, usually when you go in Miami Beach you re going for leisure purposes and rest, so you should not have to set your alarm clock at 9, to have the breakfast until 9.30 when they close it.

The staff was very nice and supportive. At first we had a room at the 1st floor, in the back of the aisle. A dark and very noisy room because it was near some compressor located behind the hotel and early morning the garbage truck was coming to pick up containers and made a lot of noise. But the staff was friendy and the following day gave us a larger and quieter room at the third floor. The location of the hotel is very close to the core of Miami Beach. You reach Ocean Drive and the beach by walk in 1-2 minutes. Moreover, you have a 24/7 store right across the street.

Location was very close to everything

Bed was very uncomfortable like a wooden board. Room needed obvious attention from sink backing up, shower being very dated and toilet being very old. Room could have been cleaner.

Location was very close to everything

Not pleasant

Room smell shower not working.breakfast too late considering people have activities parking too expensuve and not coveniente for customers..and too noisy

i wouldn’t stay here again
    • Double Room (4 Adults)

The staff wasn’t friendly, the rooms smelled like smoke, the bathroom was disgusting, the beds were outdated and old, they didn’t have towels, room service or water. We could also hear the neighbors every move, word and activities next to us. Overall, this place needs a lot of work done to it.

I liked that it was near beach

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, location isn't everything! Never again!

Old dusty, dirty, moldy/smelly, poor and unsafe electrical outlets/cords, poor roomplan not functional, blinds broken, only 2 person elevator, outdated tvs, no accomdating appliance in room. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

The only thing that I like about this hotel was that it was close to beach and walking distance.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

We very much enjoyed the stay. Location and amenities were great for the price we paid.

The front desk clerk was not nice. We had problems with calling the front desk several times and she never acknowledged it. She maintained an unfriendly attitude each time we dealt with her. Also, there is a free shuttle that nobody bothered mentioning to us until we asked. That shuttle proved to be crucial to our sightseeing needs.

All was good for the price

cheap noisy room for an expensive price.

I asked a room with view to the street anf gave me a room on the back of property with view to a bar. Very noisy until late. The door of the room was horrible, a strong wind would put it down.

Room was spacious and clean but doesnt worth the price.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Great Experience Overall!

Other guests who were smoking in the same area where we were having breakfast in the morning.

We got upgraded to a suite and the stay was enjoyable. The breakfast was really nice as well.

Great getaway
    • Double Room (4 Adults)

Something I didn’t like was the restrooms were a bit small and uncomfortable in the rooms.

I definitely loved the location. Great distance from the beach and night life and restaurants! Customer service was great. Never had any problems.

Very good value for money.

No refrigerator in the room. With the temperature in Miami, every hotel room needs a refrigerator to keep water, soft drinks cold.

Location is perfect. For the low $60 plus resort fee plus taxes I paid the hotel exceeded my expectations. Hotel staff very professional. Hotel safe and secure. Wall safe in the room.

The hotel does NOT match the pictures on the site.

Old and dated hotel. Very small bathroom. Uncomfortable bed. Not even one chair or table in the room. No parking or valet available.

Location is great. Very central. Just a block from the beach and close to all restaurants.

Location was great.

Room was not. I had to carry my bags up a flight of stairs thru a narrow passage. Not very private, blinds were not fitted to windows properly so you could see thru. I'll not going so far as to say the bed had bed bugs but I found numerous itchy bites on my leg after the first night. I will not stay again.

Location was great.

It was disappointing for a birthday celebration

The doors did not shut completely when entering and exiting the room. The windowed has water leaking inside which caused a mini flood by our suitcases. The staff was rude they did not feel welcoming or attentive to me when I was asking questions about facility and locations. The toilet was clogged for 2 days.

Pleasant modern decor but with little thought given to practicalities

The breakfast was very poor. Cheap over-sweet cereals, disgusting sunny delight orange drink, stiff thawed out bagels. Little choice and not very nice start to day. As with most hotels nowhere to put anything in the bathroom - in this case I really mean ‘nowhere’ Noisy ground floor room with our windows no more than 2 feet away from bin lorries and delivery vans starting very early in the morning.

Staff was great room was a so called suite bed was hard as...

Staff was great room was a so called suite bed was hard as hell kitchen water was dripping when i turn it on. No phn in room no coffee maker door to room was damn near off the hinges all bad u could see thur the door crack i felt unsafe so we put the chain across the door and locked it. Air condition kept going in and out the whole room was bogus and antique looking the safe was rusted out the futon was tore. Only brand knew looking in the room was the remodeled bathroom. When called to front desk to complain they went up to my suite but nothing was done still did not put a phn in there i wanted clean face towels they said they didnt have none. My knob on my room door was wiggly wish i would have chosen better next time i will and they got the nerve to charge all that money and the hotel is ranned down looks good from the outside but them rooms r hit.they need to upgrade on everything. Of course payment process going to be easy when they take ur money. Until u actually see when u arrive.

Location, cleanliness and staff were great.

The only complaint was that I could not use the in room phone to call the front desk or my fellow travelling companions in the other room. Otherwise it was good.

Location, cleanliness and staff were great.

HORRIBLE

For a whole 10hrs there was no power!!!! They didn't offer a complimentary anything for the inconvenience of the guest.... I WILL NOT STAY THERE AGAIN AND I WILL TELL ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN NOT TO STAY THERE!!!!!-

Property was okay.

Property was okay. This booking was just a disaster because I was charged a extra 137 for two extra people when I already booked for 4 people when I booked for hotel for my trip. Will never use this website EVER again. They mess up your booking and you have to pay for it.

bed was amazingly comfortable!

All rooms should be equipped with a microwave and mini refrigerator.

bed was amazingly comfortable!! Staff was extremely nice except for the gentleman that works in the early mornings around 3am.

Location was perfect but the rooms can use some updating

Our phone in the room didnt work, our room didnt get cleaned for 2 days, and our ac wouldnt get cold just stay on medium. Between my friends and I we called the front desk 3-5 times. I stayed here before and this time was very dissapointing. I like a clean room I did more cleaning in my room when Im supposed to be on Vacation

I love the restaurant on the first floor it had the best vegan sandwich!

Great stay for a very nice price.

You should have easier access for suitcases. In our case, we had several big suitcases and having only steps are never an easy way to carry them.

Perfect location. Nice and good sized room. Allways great when hotels have breakfast included! Sadly we could stay just one night.

Son's 16th birthday, in SoBe!

The extra fees at check-in we a bit of a hassle. Finding parking close to the property.

Overall the property was nice. The building is old but they kept it clean. The rooms are small and the door to the room is thin so you hear everything. The breakfast consist of muffins, fruit, cereal, juice and coffee. I was there for a quick trip with my son. Perfect location, the beach is around the corner.

It's Miami i had a great time barely was in my room

Rooms are to old no microwave or refrigerator place needs some updating.

It's was clean staff was coo but other than location I wouldn't stay here again.

Worst receptionists, good hotel...

Worst receptionists ever (especially Sebastian). Everything they do even a basic smile is fake. You will understand if you end up staying here... They are after charging you with something extra if you are looking the other way for one second, be aware!! Meaning of hospitality for these receptionists is unknown. Humanity and honesty is at basic minimum...

Other than the receptionists, all hotel employee was nice. Hotel is clean and the location is the best after Ocean drive.

Breakfast was probably typical continental typical for US,...

breakfast

Breakfast was probably typical continental typical for US, so the quality probably will disappoint Europeans which are used to higher quality. Location perfect, reception staff perfect, room a bit too expensive for the quality but maybe because it is Miami Beach, good AC, good WiFi,

Very good hotel in a fantastic location.

The breakfast was a little odd. It was set up in the bar area, which is very small, so we kind of had to fight our way through to get coffee in the morning.

Very good hotel in a fantastic location. Surrounding neighborhood felt safe, and we were able to walk around and take in all of the awesome art deco architecture. We scheduled a hop-on/hop-off bus tour through the concierge, and the nearest hop-on point was only a few blocks away. Plenty of restaurants nearby to discover as well as a restaurant/bar in the hotel. There is a wonderful little private patio to have dinner/drinks, and the beach is only 2 -3 blocks away! Staff was friendly and accommodating, and the rooms were nicely sized and comfortable. This is an older hotel (I think from the 1930s) and is not perfect, but we enjoyed our two-night stay very much!

Continental breakfast was offered.

No mini fridge or microwave was available. And when asked it was over $39 a night. Thought that was very unreasonable.

Continental breakfast was offered. Staff was friendly and as accommodating as possible.

If you just want a clean room and Comfy bed for a reasonable price for the area then go for

Breakfast was ok but the way it’s set up is a little chaotic, especially when a lot of guests were trying to get breakfast. No fridge or coffee making in the room, hotel generally a little dated . Described as a 3 star, but I would say barely a 2 star

Good bed clean room and good location

Will not consider to stay in this hotel again.

The room is old, grandfather TV, HVAC is in the room that you can feel the vibration, bathtub and basin were choked, no electric kettle and complimentary water were provided, door and window are not soundproofed, very noisy in the room day and night.

Located near the beach

Great night before joining our cruise.

The bed was very close to the door, which made it difficult to get into the room, and a chair for the dressing table would have been handy. Noise from traffic was a bit annoying.

Location was excellent. Room was clean and staff helpful.

The hotels atmosphere on the outside was amazing, relaxed and chill.

I didn’t like my room on the first floor, my view was a dumpster behind another hotel, and the beds were very squeaky. Lastly the breakfast was so sub par, they could’ve atleast had eggs and bacon.

I loved the location and proximity to the beach!

The hotel served its purpose.

There was an overwhelming smell of urine permeating from bathroom. Had to have the maid let me spray the bathroom walls to get rid of it. My room wasn't serviced to late afternoon every day.

The location was great since it is in south beach and near restaurants and across the street from Walgreen's.It was quiet at night so was able to sleep uninterrupted.

Fair. Great location.

It took them really long to clean room. Sometimes I room wouldn’t be cleaned until very late in the afternoon, or when we asked. There were also days it was missed.

below the average

Not working AC in the room.that was really anoying. Also room was kind of dirty. I saw a lots of dust and floor wasn’t clean. Than they moved us to another room. And room had a strong smell of mold and toilet wasn’t working. We had to wait a few hours to get it fixed:(

Some of the staff was very helpful. Sebastian and the night shift guy helped us to solve the problems like not working AC and broken toilet. And also Sebastian let us to check out later than 11 am

Front desk worker made our day

Extra area taxes, the hotel next to us were less expensive

I wish you could add some protein to your breakfast menu like eggs.. there was not much to choose from for the price we paid

Great stay.

Price is little more.

Awesome breakfast. It includes Coffee, Juice, Yogurt, Orange, Cupcake, Cereal with Milk , Bagel etc. Rooms are big. They provided beach towels. Great location. Walkable to Española Way as well as South Beach. They keep our bag even after check-out.

very nice outside area for coffee and relaxing
    • Double Room (4 Adults)

showers in the bathroom need improvements, also we had many issues with key cards had to change several times

very nice outside area for coffee and relaxing

Cute hotel, great location and value.

Hotel needs some updating but can’t beat the price and location.

Great Location!!! Price was great, staff is excellent and very friendly. Steps away from beach and ocean avenue, close to shops, restaurants and anything you would need in South Beach

Great experience

The only bad thing about this hotel is that the room smells on moisture - Guess bc the building is old but you have to find the way to somwhow refresh the building ... After only three nights all my clothes got that smell

All the staff was great!

not happy

Parking price per day is extremely high they charge 37 dollars par day, i do recommend to use public parking is 10 dollars a day and is only 2 blocks from hotel, please get new mattresses and try to shampoo the carpet more often, i got there on friday at 3 pm and my room wasnt ready for check in when the check out time is 11 am, so i have to wait at the lobby, o top of that there is a 20 dollars charge per day and they called RESORT FEE..!!!

The only reason i do chose this hotel is because the location, i been there like 6 times and i dont know what happened but the old stuff was a lot nicer, dont know if i come back again..

I don’t like anything

The hotel bad the staff for hotel mean the not comfortable AC not Working good noisy The hotel not safe The breakfast Not good The price is not worth it

I don’t like anything

Was cool. STAFF was cool , great location

Rooms are small, sheets was ripped , ppl complaining about loud noises then they shouldn’t get a room 1 block from ocean drive , hot water kept burning me kept going from hot to EXTREMELY HOT

NEXT BLOCK OCEAN DRIVE ,BEACH , everything walking distance

Made the best of it. Wouldn’t stay there again

The rooms paint peeling. The first room I had paint peeling and the bathroom had rust on the tiles. The desk did change my room but the secound room paint was peeling to. Room above had children running in room.

Good location.

You wont get much rest here.

The staff kept knocking on my door maybe 5 times waking me up before my check out time to see if I was ready to leave. Then when I had to extend my trip for work they had no idea how to transfer me rooms.

Location was the only thing great about it.

Horrible

The room was smelly, filthy and rigidy. No noise privacy. One towel for two people. I emailed the service desk and they basically called me a poor , inexperienced traveler. I have copies of those emails. I will report this facility and staff

Great hotel in Miami

The public bathroom near the lobby didn't lock the door.

The location was great and very close to shops, restaurants and the beach. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.

NEVER STAYING HERE AGAIN!

The property is so old and in need of MAJOR renovations. There was an AWFUL smell, almost like bug spray in the room. There was only one elevator and only 1 person with luggage could ride at a time. The a/c made a buzzing noise all night. And the beds were extremely uncomfortable.

The only plus about this property is the location. THATS IT!

If wasn’t for lovstiukt would have been horrible

They lied about the price of the room They also charged more to my card then they say they did an I showed them proof an they could not explain There was an added fee when we got there to check in The hotel old rooms out dated an it really wasn’t worth the money we paid to stay there, an the so call breakfast was nothing to talk about at all that’s if you made it to get it in the two hour window they served the bagel an yougart never book them again

Mattress needs replacing.

Close to everything 5min walk to beach. Staff excellent always helpful. Young man Henry who works there can't help you enough very polite always made me smile and laugh, he is a great asset to your hotel. Tour desk manager great went out of his way to book me a tour they didn't have. 24 hr Walgreens across road . Dinning at onsite food really great love the Salmon good prices

Good for large groups and family. Excellent location close to the beach, opposite 24 hr Walgreens

Building is aged and in art deco style. Although building and rooms are a bit dated. It is very clean, spacious and comfortable

Rooms comfortable, Cool a/c even with the Miami heat. Attentive cleaning staff. Attentive and freindy front desk

The location es nice, but it is a very basic hotel, with a horrible breakfast.

Breakfast. Really bad, they use plastic utensils which is completly no ecologic, they have one toaster, so people have to do a long line and quality of food is poor. I had breakfast only first day.

I liked the location

Horrible experience. Would never stay there agein

South Beach Plaza Hotel Venetia Powell - manager Price issue at check in - they tried to charge more than the booking.com confirmed price Staff at check in was rude and not accommodating. Electrical Outlets in room did not work well. Cord kept falling out. One outlet was unsafe and made popping and crackling sounds if used TV did not working Pillows did not have normal pillowcases Bathtub would not drain and nobody available to fix it that first night Shower water temperature got very hot twice while I showered Elevator not working sometimes Cooling/ heating system malfunctioned. Room temperature extremely cold on the last night. I had to put on my coat in bed. They later provided a space heater. My travel pillow stolen when I checked out I met with manager and no compensation offered for any of the issues. Horrible experience

The location was convenient

The potential for a good place to stay is there. Need to update & workeres need to be friendlier

The room furnishings were old and out dated, and in poor conditions. The TV was not working well. We couldn't use the remote. The main door and framing was in poor condition. The contin. breakfast was not orgainized well. The lines were long and slow moving. (one toaster???) The area and space were too cramped for people to get to food iems. Some of the staff were very rude and not very friendly. The lady behind the bar during breakfast esp. In the bathroom is the metal cabinet sticks out to much. I hit my heas a few times/

I felt the location was idea for our family. Everyhjting was in walking distance.. Our room location was very quiet. The cerk behind the desk was very helpful and courteeous. (esp the morning perspn)

I am completely satisfied to have chosen this hotel

The departure time, it must be 12pm.

The breakfast was really good. The staff was very nice and helpful. They have people who speak other languages making easy to fullfil ourneeds

For the location, the price, the staff, it was a great value.

Room was small. No towel rack in bathroom made it a little difficult.

The waitresses up front were extra nice. Happy hour was great. $5 mojitos. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Basic accommodation and breakfast - more costs to accommodate gaps (parking, b/fast)

Parking situation (valet an parking garage extra costs), basic room facilities (bad TV reception, limited plugs, old furniture) and very basic breakfast. One of the key things for me was the included breakfast - if I had known what I now know was on offer breakfast wise I would not have booked with this hotel.

Great trip to sunny South Beach and stayed in a great location!
    • Double Room (4 Adults)

size of the beach towels, not enough space to put cloths away, closet was dirty, hallway carpet needs to be replaced, selections for breakfast were limited and repeated the same thing each day, breakfast ended too early

Location to the beach and local restaurants and transportation to Miami or around the area, the weather!

4.5
    Unfriendly Staff

I did not like the size of the room nor the quality of the room (especially for the amount I paid). Also, Staff was not friendly which is unacceptable when manage a Hotel. I would not stay at this hotel again unless they work on their customer service and put some work into renovating thier rooms.

I liked the location of the hotel,the air conditioner, and the water pressure in the shower.

Tolerable because of location

The hotel has a old smell that you get used to as time goes by. The sheets were stained, the maid did not sweep the floors properly. The first night the keys didn’t work. Hot water wasn’t working for a few hrs. The cable sucked. The hotel needs some renovation.

The bed and location

Whilst we appreciate the Art Deco style of the hotel the rooms are in desperate need of Updating

Bar only open short period also restaurant so nowhere to purchase food or drink . Bathroom very ancient it was clean but towels were small and thin the shower was weak and the water flow was very poor water also coming out of taps and odd places on shower head. There was a unit above the basin and toilet to hold towels etc which was dangerous as it protruded over the basin and toilet which meant that you had to be careful flushing not to hit your head and brushing teeth or washing was difficult as you couldn’t bend over basin without bashing you head. The bedding was awful thin and scratchy . There was no fridge in the room no glasses only 1 accessible power point . Had to chase for room to be serviced and when it was they didn’t replace hand towels when I asked for some I was told they didn’t have any when I complained they said they would send some up. Some time later I asked where they were and was told the housekeeping had gone gone and as the manager wasn’t on duty they couldn’t access supplies. I complained and they managed to produce 3’ bath’ towels 2 thin and 1 which was much nicer .

Restaurant was very good general public areas were nice outside courtyard was nice The bell hops were very helpful

Terrible hospitality and dirty/moldy rooms.

The staff was extremely unprofessional. My friend and I were followed by staff. There was no running water and the toilet did not work. The room was dusty, smelled like mold, and the sheets were dirty. The staff was not willing to accommodate us until we threatened to leave. We left the hotel after 1 night.

The location was decent.

This hotel has a lot going for it but needs the owners to invest in its maintenance very soon.

Very narrow steep stairs to our room. Our room needs new bedding. Bedspread looks old and a bit worn. Washable duvets would be cleaner. Shower leaked through the door. Blinds in the bathroom and kitchen need to be replaced with ones that work and properly fit the windows. Found hair in the shower.

Great location only one block walk to the beach. Close to many sights, restaurants and bars.

Excellent location as easy to get to any sports in south beach. Love the Art Deco feel of the room

The whole space smells of cleaning products, nice that is clean but they should choose less strong smells. The kitchenette in our room didn't have one dish or plate, if they have a kitchen they should equip it a little.

I liked the location as very convenient.the rooms are comfortable but need a little update The outside space/gardenis lovely and large

Alright I guess

No WiFi, I struggled the entire time had to keep going outside for the WiFi to work . You have to re sign up every 15 mins. Room could do with a lick of paint and more mirrors in the room

Staff was friendly

it was not bad

the facilities were too old and the staff was not that good. You could hear people in other rooms next to you talking in the middle of the night. The tour desk guy was good, and the front desk guys were alright.

really close to the beach

Great location, but not a comfortable place.

The bed was hard like a brick and the room was extremely noisy, waking us up every morning at 6:45 am honking and beeping horns (for at least 30-45 minutes) in the alley for the deliveries to the hotel behind us.

The breakfast buffet which was included was cheap (like warm Tang instead of orange juice, Folger's coffee, and only whole oranges for fruit). The only thing I consumed each morning was coffee that was only so-so.

Great location on south beach but the building is in need of proper maintenance

Door handle to the room looked like it would break off at any moment. The shower was in poor condition and we were interrupted by a member of the staff saying the shower was leaking down to the room below, and we couldn't shower the following morning.

Good location for South Beach

If we could have regulated the airconditioning better. Thermostat very high and room was VERY cold.

I realize the property is older, but feel a little upgrading in the rooms could be used....a little paint touch up and caulking in bathroom.

location is the best

quality of towels wi-fi signal

beautiful external garden perfect location next to beach and in the heart of art deco. room 308 has a beautiful view from Collins Av x 14th very nice staff on the breakfast area nice decoration

Valet was Horrible..not part of the hotel

The Valet was a joke...left our car in the middle of Collins Ave with the hazards on...just left it there and didn't cone back for 25 minutes...luckily my husband was able to move it..after traffic was backed up and people were laying on their horns...the valet was not a part of the hotel...there is a parking garage a block down for 20 bucks a night...

Location was good. Air conditioning worked great

Very pleasant

Breakfast could have been a little earlier..like 7:00

I especially liked the couch in my room. Also the remote was much easier to use than most remotes.

It was a very nice and relaxing experience.
    • Double Room (4 Adults)

No complaints they make our stay pleasant and there was a little situation about the parking; they didn’t have. They show us a public parking one block away and we used it.

Could be a bit more friendlier

Very dated and dull. Beautiful place Miami but hotel needs full update. Take your own towels as likely to get cut by their rough ones.

Location spot on for beach and bars