Reviews of Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown Columbus 2 stars

650 South High Street, Columbus, 43215, USA

#65 of 105 hotels in Columbus

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

The beds were good

There were fruit flies and little flying bugs everywhere Carpet in the hallway on floor 2 wasn’t glued down The room had very little lighting Breakfast and front desk area were under construction and was a mess

The beds were good

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Would recommend to others staying. Room was clean , staff was friendly.

Trying to get in and out of the parking lot was a pain, especially with the light were your trying to turn. Also the hotel was under renovations. Most local restaurants weren’t open till 5 or 6.

Close to German Village, but found that to be disappointing. Thought there would be more to do.

Great place to stay if you want to walk to German Village and Brewery District
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

They've updated the rooms a bit...BUT they should have replaced the carpet. The carpet has stains on it and looks tired. I think if you are going to the effort to update, don't half a$$ it. The carpet was a turn off and the paint job was sloppy. There was also staining on the bottom bed cover, which I immediately threw on the floor. The paint was on door knobs and that combined with the carpet issue and the bedding cover , well it made this newly renovated room feel cheap. Otherwise it was a good value for the money. Would not stay more than a night or two for the cleanliness and feel of the room. Bathroom reno was nice but again the paint job made it feel like a rush redo.

I stay here because it is the only hotel within walking distance to all of German Village and the Brewery District. It's clean enough for a one or two night stay. No luxury here but decent for the money. I've never had a problem here. Parking is easy and you can walk to everything the area has to offer. They do have a fitness room. I know exactly what to expect when I stay here. No surprises good or bad. That's fine by me.

Canceled room even after checking in

My room was canceled by Muhammad after my husband came in before check in and paid with a different card. Then upon speaking with Mohammed he wanted to charge me extra for rebooking my room

Room was clean and spacious

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Staff was nice, location was great
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The whole facility in general was very dirty, the carpets were not vacuumed in any part of the hotel, there were brown stains in our bathroom shower, and the pool was discolored and full of debris

Staff was nice, location was great

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Ideal for our purpose. Shame it was spoilt by the lack of transparency on the price.

The fact that we were charged $15 more than the advertised price due to add-ons that were not advertised such as parking service charge and tax.

Excellent location close to the German village (a visit to the amazing book shop a short walk away should not be missed) and only a short distance into town. Staff were very helpful and breakfast was ideal for the children (waffles, cereal and bagels). However the best bits were the swimming pool (although it would have benefited from a clean) and the amazing mattresses.

Could have been better

I was greeted at the door shortly after 11 pm on check in...the manager said "I've been waiting for you, you're the last one to come". I was charged for parking and a "hotel convenience fee" of which I was unaware. The lobby had an odd smell. They are doing some renovations. The mornings were tough. The breakfast staff were expected to do double duty. Sunday morning a woman named Jamie was manning the front desk, the phones, taking calls on backed up plumbing, and setting breakfast items out...the hotel was at capacity and she was the ONLY person there. She was terrific and did her best but this was unacceptable. All in all I wish I had chosen another place to stay.

The room was quite large. The beds were large (queen) and comfortable. The location was good for our purposes.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

great room, very good breakfast, perfect location

If you put up signs saying you want to protect the environment and won’t change the towels everyday -what we as liberal/leftish europeans support wholeheartedly- then put your money where your mouth is and let us reuse them. Now it’s talk only

great room, very good breakfast, perfect location

Overall everything was 'OK', would stay there again, but parking & elevator need improved.

The parking situation was relatively small, having to PAY an extra $5 a day for the parking and then having to park in another lot when it was dark. Also would have preferred to have my room straightened EVERY day, instead of every 3rd day. Elevator was EXTRA slow.

Food was fine, bed comfy, staff was excellent, and location for us was great. My two biggest complaints were not having enough parking, and the extra $5 a day charge for the parking and having to park in another lot later at night.

3.1
    They were doing a complete makeover.

They were doing a complete makeover. It would have been helpful to know this in advance. The staff merely said you can stay somewhere else if you, no concessions were made or attempted.

Not a place to stay
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

No parking nobody at front desk to help. Room was in poor condition. Room smelled bad like mold. Breakfast was great coffee good but thats all i can say about that.

Coffee breakfast

We enjoyed living here for a week.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

I like that they were very accommodating. We arrived early and they begin making preparations for us to check in early. We decided to get some lunch since we arrived so early and the front desk clerk held our luggage behind the counter until we returned from lunch and our room was ready. Very comfortable and the breakfast was hot. You were always welcome to have a snack anytime of day from the dining room. That was very impressive. The bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed our stay here.

The staff was very friendly.

The hotel was being renovated and our room smelled like paint. (The whole third floor smelled like fresh paint.) It was a hard on my lungs and made me feel nauseous. If I knew when booking, I would have chose another hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

One night stay

They were remodeling and there was a strong smell of paint in the rooms. Parking- I requested a spot since it’s limited parking but never got one, had to park down the street.

Comfy beds, staff was very nice.

I did not like that when I checked in the price was going to...

I did not like that when I checked in the price was going to be 66 dollars more then when I booked it on line. Asked them about it and they tried to say it was the taxes. But my email said that the price included the taxes.

• King Suite - Non-Smoking

Your question family with under 18 years old childen. Why do you have with old 18 years old childen so that nothing fitting me since I with 27 and 28 childen. Why do you just write with family.

Nice

Dirty hotel with worn furniture and carpets

First there was the attempt to overcharge me. The charge did not match the agreed upon price. I was told due to taxes but I pointed out that taxes were included in the quote. The place was nasty they claimed due to construction, however I moved to a hotel with construction going on and it is clean. The lobby furniture was worn and the hallway floors needed to be vacuumed. The carpet in the room was very worn and I was concerned about the cleanliness. I had a do not disturb sign on and the front desk knocked on my door to ask about a smell in the hallway. It seems that there were plenty of doors without a do not disturb sign to ask about the smell.

nice neighborhood and comfortable stay

Under construction/remodeling and there were some issues with things working but I am sure they we be resolved quickly

eds were so comfortable and the staff was excellent

Comfortable

The midnight clerk attention . Nick , his name , was not respectful nor polite . He charged to my credit card an extra night in a bad way because we were staying at the hotel other night , that was not included in my reservation. What happened was that he was confused with the date , he thought Sunday was May 7 and I clarified him Sunday was May 6. But he said that if we did not paid we had to leave the hotel immediately and was almost 1 am .

Clean and location

It was comfortable but not sweet

There was a recent renovation, the floors were and even, and some of the dry wall and tile work were absent

It was quiet and the person at the desk was very helpful and the tenative to or needs.

We enjoyed our stay and loved the location in the German Village. The hotel staff were very helpful

We did not like the parking fee. It's decor is outdated but it is undergoing renovation.

The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast selection was good. Snacks and coffee/tea are available in the evening. The Comfort Inn is located right off the highway so it is quite convenient.

The hotel was under construction when I stayed, so it was...

The hotel was under construction when I stayed, so it was loud & dirty. The workers showed up very early in the morning! Also, the water was to be shut off at 9a, so I'm glad the workers woke me up early so I could leave by the time the water would be turned off! I feel like they should inform you of these conditions before booking!

Bed and pillows were comfortable.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking situation was pretty bad. Super small lot had to park up street at a bank... The elevators smelled like grease and oil.

Bed and pillows were comfortable. Breakfast was not too bad.

Stayed in numerous hotels in Columbus will never stay at this one again

We had dirty towels in the closet when we walked in the room the bathroom was dirty we had no soap and when we called down to the desk she said it was at the front desk. Meaning she wanted us to walk down and get it when it was never put in the room. We went down to get it and nobody was at the front desk waited 10 minutes and no one came back. Very poor service hotel was under some construction but the rooms should have still been cleaned better.

The free coffee was OK

Very nice.

Nothing really. I don't understand why people are complaining about the renovation work. I did not notice any noise being away at OSU during the day.

The hotel is centrally located, it is basically across the street from the Brewery district and close to Downtown (the free CBus stops across the street) and the German village (walking distance). The staff were very nice and helpful, and arranged a cab for me to go to the airport very early in the morning. The internet connection is very good.

Relaxing and comfortable
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was ok, not great. But it’s free, so not going to complain! :)

Room was quite large with a king size bed, sofa, desk, fridge and large tv. Some days I almost didn’t feel like leaving it :) What is great about this location is the proximity to the lovely German Village, easy parking and for me very important - the free CBUS (goes up and down the main street High Street) stops right in front! Since it’s a long street that is very useful.

only a 1 night stay but I would definitely stay here again

Parking on the property is very limited.

Bed was comfortable, room was very clean. Front desk staff were very gracious and friendly. This was only a 1 night stay but I would definitely stay here again.

THE ROOM WAS SPACIOUS SO COMFY
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

THE ROOM SMELLED LIKE CIGARETTE SMOKE AS SOON AS WE WALKED IN. THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY TO REMOVE THE SMELL BUT OTHER THAN THAT OUR STAY WAS ENJOYED

THE ROOM WAS SPACIOUS SO COMFY

Comfortable stay where staff was able to overcome negative aspects.

Building was undergoing renovations. Meal area was too small.

Staff was helpful and attentive to my needs and comfort. Was able to accommodate an extra night stay due to canceled flight.

Great value - clean rooms and friendly staff. Location was about a 10 minute walk to downtown.

Beds very comfortable. Room and bath very clean. Front desk was fantastic. We wanted to check in early. He made special effort to talk to housekeeping to see if a room was available, and it was. Also a nice breakfast. Exceptional value. If ever in Columbus again, will definitely book

Meh

Coffee trays were dusty and dirty and there were some pieces in the bathroom that looked like they'd been ripped off the counter and not replaced. The toilet was extremely low to the ground. No ice machine. Windows did not open.

The beds and pillows were very comfortable

I would stay at this location again if I am ever in Columbus.

Renovations during the day were very noisy and agitating.

Loved the comfortable beds and pillows. Loved the breakfast too since it combined both hot and cold breakfast. The staff was exceptionally nice and helpful.

Value was decent.

Weekend breakfast didn't start until 7 am - we had to be to our Saturday appt by 7:15 so, no breakfast was available. Parking seemed a little shady.

Beds were comfortable.

It was ok for the reason for traveling, plus it was to late to find other commendations
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking was horrible and the room wasnt comfortable, looked like there was puke or watever on the side of the night stand and floor

Staff was real nice

Very easy from begininning to end, with no issues.

The breakfast was pretty bad but then, most hotels have a lousy free breakfast...the eggs were just super rubbery to me. But if you are there for the cereal and bagels, it's perfect. I didn't like the elevator..was always sort of waiting for it to break down. My only complaint with the room was the carpeting...it had seen better days. The beds appeared very nice but they are the kind of mattress that gives you a back ache. Not horribly uncomfortable but just not quite great. Walls are thin...otherwise, great value!

The location was perfect. within walking distance of all of German Village...that is why I stayed here even though it wasn't as high end as I like. I wasn't disappointed. It was a very easy location and the staff was courteous. At this price you always worry it will feel like a flea bag motel but it was much better than that, even with remnants of the older things existing pre-remodel.

The hotel was fine.

Booking.com was a nightmare. I never received a confirmation. After talking to customer service I finally received a confirmation on my IPad. They never did send a confirmation to the original email. Upon arriving at the hotel I was told they never received a booking for me. They thankfully had a room available and since I had my IPad the clerk gave me the booking.com price. I won't trust this website again.

The hotel was fine.

Excellent stay - comfort and convenience. Highly recommend it.

We liked everything.

I was impressed with the attention the receptionist gave us (she called us to ask if the room was ok and comfortable, etc once we got in the room) and they had complimentary goodie bags for us with a bottle of water and some cereal bars. She explained to us that there are things like coffee, fruits, yogurt, etc available 24 hrs. These small gestures and care really count! The room was super big, comfortable and very equipped. The bed too was very nice and comfy. Also it was VERY convenient - you are right by German Village, Brewery District, etc. so you could go there on foot. And a bus stop for a free bus called CBUS which takes you to downtown, Short North, etc. was across the street.

Very nice and quiet stay.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

When booking, I called the hotel direct because the internet ad said $5.00 parking fee. The desk attendant assured me no parking fee. Well, when the bill was totaled a $5.00 fee was added for parking? They also said if I paid cash they would need a $200.00 deposit for incidentals. They waived that deposit for me.

The room was very spacious and the bed was comfortable. Soft and hard pillow choice. Microwave and small frig in the room. On a very well traveled street so walking at night was not a problem.

Can't complain with the price offered

It says it was in downtown but I would say it would be quite a walk from the hotel to downtown. Nevertheless, it is located in a safe neighborhood and there are free buses going to the short north. The baggage storage was sketchy because it was a seemingly abandoned pub right next to the front desk and everyone can walk in and potentially take your stuff. the hairdryer was not working.

The lady at the front desk was friendly and helpful. She greeted us every time she saw us while the other two ladies who worked later shifts weren't as warm. There's a microwave in our room which was nice.

Staff was friendly;

Building overall felt old and in need of deeper-going fixing. Did not like mattress, and bedding felt cheap - which means I don't get warm. Corridor smelly and stairs were worn and dirty.

Staff was friendly; Room looked recently remade;

Doubt I’ll stay there again.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Hotel is very dated. Elevator was very old and small. Inside elevator was in poor condition. Breakfast was late every morning and hot selection was just microwaved in back when they ran out. Couch in room had several stains and the furniture had a lot of scratches. Also not a lot of parking in the lot and you have to sign a paper stating the hotel is not liable for any vehicle damage while onsite.

Bed was nice. Room was clean but old. Could tell they have repainted and some updates to bathroom.

Good value for this area.

Tight parking spots and a lot of construction on the streets during my stay.

Great location and large room. Walking distance to some great restaurants.

We'll definitely stay there again when we're in Columbus
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Super friendly staff. Bed was very comfortable. We even asked the staff for the name of the mattress. Breakfast was excellent. Overall we were extremely pleased.

price was right place was nice and clean very enjoyable
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

We was there because our grand som had to get heart surgery and the rest of our family was at the Ronald McDonald House the place was very quiet and very peaceful it was a very enjoyable stay thank you so much staff

Neat spot in town to stay close to everything. Parking and accommodations are compact.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Breakfast ended a little early for a Sunday morning. Could have had a late brunch by an hour or so.

Neighborhood was cool, staff made great suggestions and advice.

I wouldn't stay again or recommend this hotel to others.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

I had booked my stay online and was with a group that was paying a discounted rate. When booking through the online site it was very clear that my card would not be charged until I booked in. I also left a comment that I was with the party to ensure the discount. When I explained the situation to he young girl (who was the only nice person I dealt with during my visit) and she asked, who I assumed was the manager. The other lady advised that my card had already been charged for the transaction do there was nothing they could do to change it. I didn't want to argue so I signed the paper and checked in. After checking my back account, the card was not charged until Sunday. Also there is very limited parking at the hotel and there is additional parking one lot away but it is not at all marked well or easy to find since you can only enter from the rest of the lot from a side street. Our room was spacious but the bedskirt was torn. When we returned to our room after a very long day we pulled the bedsheet back to unveil a significant stain. We were too tired to wait for new sheets so we just slept on top of the flat sheet. In the morning I went to get coffee and something to eat at the breakfast bar. When I got down there I couldn't find the coffee station (which I had unknowingly walked right past-I'm a zombie before coffee). I asked the Roman setting things up if they had coffee and she, very snarkly, responded that it was around the corner.

The lobby was clean, the bed was comfortable. It was just down the block from the brewery district, which was nice.

Very pleasant
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking lot was cramped, and awkward. It would have been nice to have a shuttle to main events downtown, but it was right on a bus stop, so that was helpful.

The bed was clean, and comfortable. The room was very large, we had a king size bed. Also, had a pull out couch. Air conditioner was in great working order. Close to vending machines and ice. Egg omelets gross me out, so I didn't try them. Strawberry waffles were tasty, fresh fruit and yogurt. Checking in and out was simple.

Great value, location and comfort awaits you at Comfort Inn.... Older place but all the necessities.
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The kids that were in the pool were allowed to walk all over the place soaking wet... Trip hazard and no rules/or reinforcement there.... that is all I found unpleasant.

The bed was clean fluffy and fresh, the room very clean; The place was easy to find and in a cool location... we dined at Valters and we liked it very much... The Desk attendant was very helpful and friendly. They had a nice breakfast , but we overslept... we were made aware of the breakfast beforehand...

This is the perfect hotel in an area that is close to...

Furnishings were a little dated and worn

This is the perfect hotel in an area that is close to downtown but also doesn't carry the downtown prices.

Bed was very comfortable.

First room given beds not made up and towels on the floor

Bed was very comfortable. 4 towels in bathroom didn't have to ask for more. Little patio you could sit on and look over pool

Perfect One Nighter
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

My friend and I stayed here in December of 2015 for a concert and we came back in June of 2017 for another concert. The hotel is looking a little more run down than it did a couple years ago. The lobby is nice but the hallways could look better, as well as the elevator.

I requested an early check in but in my confirmation email that wasn't the time listed. While driving there I called and Misty, who was working the front desk, was extremely helpful. She told me that the time I requested was a good time to arrive. I also asked about the pillows and comforter being hypoallergic and she had all the sheets and pillows replaced and rewashed in hot water to make sure my allergies would be at bay.

Fair
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Parking was horrible. Small lot is not made for larger vehicle and filled up quickly requiring parking in an over flow lot. This lot was not secure and one vehicle was broken into during my stay. We went elsewhere for breakfast as staff was inefficient with guiding crowd and was slow at refilling food

Good location.

Don't stay here, Man at front desk creepy.

See above

Minimal parking, dirty couch that looked like it had urine stains on it and the carpeting was filthy. The guy behind the front desk looked Creepy and watched everything you did. The blankets and sheets on the bed has hair on them. The soap made my hands swell, the sheets made my eyelids swell. The mattress cover under the sheets was absolutely filthy. The free breakfast was was poor, with extremely cold boiled eggs and continental and not as Advertised.

Incredible value and location!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Kids in the pool with parents having a good time. Large room with pleasing decor. Friendly morning desk clerk. Very clean rooms and public areas.We walked everywhere! German Village restaurants and beautiful neighborhood. Don't miss "Skillet" for breakfast! "Local Cantina" for dinner. "The Big Room" for entertainment.

Nice and impress

Building and rooms needs to be updated.

The bed was comfy and the room was an nice size for the price we paid for. The breakfast was delicious. I was impressed.

Great location and value

It was in the 80s when visited, so open pool would have been nice. Being before Memorial Day it is understandable that it was still a green pond, and we enjoyed sitting by it that evening and watching the frogs enjoy it.

Staff was very helpful and courteous, no matter what time of day or night. Carpets in the elevator in bad need of a cleaning, but I am sure this is difficult with Ohio winters, but all other areas were well cared for. Location is fantastic if you want to park and walk downtown. Easy walk to the theaters, restaurants, night life, and felt very safe.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Great place

Not a thing. I was very impressed with this hotel.

The staff went above and beyond to be helpful. The hotel was very nice and located near restaurants and the bus. I would definitely recommend and visit again

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

All in all great location and place to stay

The pot smoking group of people outside in parking lot. Same group was heard running up and down halls all hours of the night and early morning. Other than that the stay was great.

The staff was very courteous and helpful. It was convenient location to where we were visiting.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Amazing staff at a clean comforfortable hotel

Bed was comfortable. location was quiet and room was very clean. The best part was Missy at the front desk. She went out of her way to give us information about the area and was caring about our needs. Even before I booked the room, I called to the hotel and she gave me helpful information for a better trip experience. Her smiley attitude was the icing on the cake for a nice visit to Columbus. She is an amazing asset to the hotel. I look forward to going back again and staying at the Comfort Inn and enjoying my conversation with Missy too.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

The previous guest obviously broke rules and was smoking...

The previous guest obviously broke rules and was smoking Marijuana in the room, which I don't blame the hotel for. However, my room constantly had a faint scent of it and it was akin to body odor. I just think the staff could've done a little more to remove the smell or change the rooms.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Poor service and hidden fees
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

They had hidden fees for everything. The total cost was $100 more than what was quoted on the website but I was in town for a convention so I didn't have any other options by the time I checked in. Also there was trash left in my room in several places and the cleaning staff would completely block off hallways while doing their rounds.

There was a bus stop on front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Meh
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Cheesy eggs? No. Need plain. Peanut butter has to be expired and bread was hard.

Coffee was decent. German Village is really cool! Lots going on in the city and this is within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Great Hotel for the Price

For me, everything was fine. I gave a neutral answer for the WiFi. I did not use it.

The continental breakfast was good. The bus transit was very convenient to the convention center.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Location made it worth it

Parking. I didn't like using the over flow lot because it didn't seem safe with no security. Their parking lot was small and full in the evenings.

Bed was comfy. Room wasn't bad. Smelled like an old hotel but not bad.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Comfort for a fair price
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

The elevator wasn't working.

I like a new room. The bed was so big and comfortable. I also liked the shower.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

The location is very good.

The Light in reception is very dim. Parking are limited.

The location is very good. The room was spacious.

Good Stay

The hotel is being renovated, and we got some awesome new rooms. very helpful and friendly staff. location is great

Bathroom was clean

There was dirty rubber glove in the chair of.the room

Bathroom was clean

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Facility was under renovations. Room had a strong glue odor. It would have been better to have been informed of the renovations beforehand.

The rooms was clean n breakfast was good

The rooms was clean n breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Nice

Vending machine was low and we missed that the pool was outside.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Very nice

Very nice

Over priced by at least $50.00

The room.

It is overpriced by far. The staff knew little about the area. The rooms were very nice, buy the public area was poor.

It waa good except no close handicapp parking.

No close handicapp parking