Reviews of The St. Gregory Hotel 4 stars

2033 M Street Northwest, Northwest, Washington, DC 20036, USA

#87 of 138 hotels in Washington

Had a problem during check out. A friend came by and used the valet parking. The hotel used my credit card which was provided during check in. When i checked out nothing was told and no receipt was given or shown.

Location Nice rooms Very softy beds I’ve never slept that good

• Deluxe Double Room

I can't think of anything!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was great! Good location, close to the Metro and restaurants, shops, and some museums around Dupont Circle.

It was a warm weekend and would have enjoyed a pool, but other than that it was perfection.

Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. Enjoyed the easy access to DuPont Circle.

• King Room - Disability Access

When we had room service, the next day our room was cleaned and towels replaced but the tray was not removed. This was minor so we didn’t raise with hotel management, and it was removed when we moved it outside our room.

The lobby was impressive upon arrival and smelt amazing! The reception staff were helpful and attentive and kindly upgraded our room to 2 double beds rather than one king which was great for sisters travelling together. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room in general was fabulous - with lots of space and storage. We ended up having a couple of evenings in to chill out after a busy day in DC which was only possible because the hotel was so fabulous and lovely to relax in. Room service was slightly limited in terms of menu, but well priced and delicious.

• Deluxe Double Room

The people behind the front desk were Most unfriendly. My room was extremely noisy! I told them the problem and they were rude and defensive. I was terribly unimpressed.

The doormen were delightful, kind, helpful and genuine.

• Deluxe Double Room

Bed was not very comfortable - pillows needed replacing -sheets were not the best quality - curtains were falling off the hooks - lighting in the bathroom was poor - no mirror in the room -service was very poor.

The bedroom was nice and large. Bathroom was also large enough.

• Deluxe Double Room

Wifi was adequate but didn't load webpages quickly, room bathroom was smaller than expected, and restrooms downstairs smelled faintly of sewage.

Enjoyed ambiance and dining options at the hotel.

• Deluxe Double Room

No food available after 10.00pm. No food available between 10.00am and 11.30am - precisely the time I had planned meeting a friend in the lobby area.

Very comfy bed.

I love this modern hotel, with a very cozy urban feel. The rooms were very clean. The beds were comfortable. The staff were very friendly. Valet named Reddy was very helpful.

• Junior Suite with King Bed

The noise from the construction across the street in the middle of the night was ridiculous. They were jack hammering in the middle of the night. There was barely any noise during the day coming from the construction site so why they had to do that in the middle of the night is besides me. The hotel did compensate for this but I prefer my nights rest so BeWARE! I had requested a room that was in the rear well in advance but apparently that was too complicated to work out. They have 3 elevators at this hotel, however only one worked so it was a little inconvenient at times.

Staff was friendly

• Junior Suite with King Bed

I would have appreciated knowing about the renovation. it was not too loud, it was dusty everywhere. Also the view of my room was facing a building they were putting down. View was not nice and work started at 7.00am.

The location was great, walking distance from/ to key places. The room was very comfortable, staff were nice and helpful. I loved the lobby, very modern, flashy. The food was also delicious (fresh ingredients, rich).

• One-Bedroom Suite

I didn't have the best experience due to an issue with my reservation and wouldn't stay there again for that reason. That reservation issue, according to the hotel, was on Booking's end... I don't however, want that to negate the service from the other staff, bellhop/ housekeeping etc. also the supervisor, when we checked out, Mirian was very nice... If planning to stay here I would strongly suggest confirming with the hotel that they received the correct information from Booking. Although, from looking at other reviews, it looks like reservation issues happen often.

• Deluxe Double Room

I booked a room with extra amenities such as a sitting area, microwave, kitchen, etc. and I was misled, which I had paid extra for. When I checked in my room the hotel informed me that booking.com needed to update their site because they did not have any of these amenities.

• One-Bedroom Suite

There is construction work going on across the road throughout the night. The first night we could not sleep. The staff moved our room and the second night it was okay. But there was also building work going on within the building so day time was noisy. The room we moved into had many problems - we may have been the first after the renovation. Lighting was not connected or electricity in all places.

The staff were wonderful and the lobby floor very nice. The restaurant area was very cozy. The location was excellent.

• Junior Suite with King Bed

On your website you have listed that the room is a junior suite with a kitchen. There is no kitchen! We travel with our kids and plenty of food to stay in a normal hotel room. Not happy at all.

• Deluxe Double Room

Under construction caused lot to be full, only one elevator working. Room was next to maintance closet so we heads every time someone opened/closed the closet.

Overall besffoul environment, friendly staff, and great hotel experience coming from someone out of town.

• Junior Suite with King Bed

it was very noisy with a refurbishment going on inside the hotel and outside noise heard in our room was bad due to building being demolished across the road.

the room size was very good. the doormen and reception staff were always polite and helpful. location was good, near to metro, walking distance to main places to visit and food places nearby to eat

• King Suite

The fee you have to pay for damages is ridiculous, u are already paying alot to stay for one night and that extra 100 is crazy...I also didn't like that there wasn't a kitchen in the room, was very disappointed..false advertisement!!!!

The staff was nice and the food was very good

• Junior Suite with King Bed

Very disappointed in the staff's inability to work with me in procuring rooms for a large amount of people and responding to my needs promptly. I had many questions and small requests, and the staff it seemed refused to be helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

The beds were too soft for me. Took over 16 hours for my room service tray to be picked up off the corridor where I'd placed it. There were bits of peeling paint and rust in the bathroom. Took a few calls - & a long wait, to be able to order room service!

Location is fantastic. Easily accessible. Great for walking about and getting those steps in in a safe environment.

I stayed with my boyfriend just one night for visiting, and I was naked in my room and someone got in without knocking or notifying. So, it is supposed that we are the only ones who have the keys, and the person in the lobby doesn’t do anything. It was not a good night.

My room (202) had a faux wall and I could hear every word from my neighbor. Noise from street was a huge problem—you need to install double or triple pane thick glass! My bed was a Murphybed rather than a real bed. It was low to the ground, and mattress was very uncomfortable. The bed was short sheeted so I was cold. I could have used an extra blanket or two. Room was large so it didn’t heat well despite raising the thermostat.

Service at door, at desk, and at restaurant. Cleanliness was also A+.

• Deluxe Double Room

Construction meant the water was turned off in the room for a few hours each day. That was inconvenient! Also construction across the street was noisy at night -- nothing the hotel could do about that.

All staff members were very welcoming and extremely helpful.

• Deluxe Double Room

My room was an “efficiency” with a working kitchen which was dated. I did not ask for that and it lowered my rating forcroom. My view overlooked the dumpsters right outside my window.

Lobby and restaurants are trendy and well decorated. Staff are very helpful and eager to please. Location is terrific for downtown business and tourists.

The rooms were an older style and very noisy. Restaurant was a little over priced for the quality of the food.

Foyer and bar were very comfortable . Good size rooms.

The rooms were quite dated in terms of decor: yellow wallpaper, cracks in the sink, single-glazed windows, dated decor, old carpets. Not at all what I was expecting from the pictures of the hotel lobby -- apparently, the hotel is still under renovation and refreshed rooms are expected in "winter 2018," whenever that will be (I visited in late January). Internet was OK, though if you want fast speed internet you need to pay extra. The view from my room was onto a construction site -- not the hotel's fault, I realise, but it was VERY noisy (alternative view would have been the dumpster alley in the back). Also, the noise from the street echoed quite a bit right up to the fifth floor and the single-glazed windows didn't help -- earbuds were provided, but double or triple glazing would have been appreciated.

The reception and bar area/restaurant were nicely designed. The staff were friendly enough, but did not got out of their way for anything. The king-size bed was quite big.

• Deluxe Double Room

Management needs to looks at the quality of reception and wait staff. Especially in the morning, literally one waitress with a full restaurant?? That's not realistic. I felt bad for the wait staff who were doing their best. Breakfast is good, but often they only have just 5 items from the menu that are available. Just a little bit more actual management and this place could be top notch.

The rooms are quite nice, so is the location

This hotel is lovely. It is a small, boutique hotel that adds extra touches not seen in larger chains. The room was of good size and had all the modern conveniences. The extra touches: Wonderfully soft bed, lovely colors--rather than the boring almond color most hotel chains use, the walls were a soothing yellow in the bedroom. The bathroom was large and boasted a marble floor and was done in a dramatic red. It had the best products as well, L'Occitane de Provence. There was classical music playing in the room which added to the additional ambiance. I have stayed here several times and it has always had high standards! The restaurant and bar area is inviting with great-tasting food as well. In the lobby, there was a gas fireplace which offered an additional warm atmosphere for sitting and having a beverage. I really enjoy staying at this hotel as it is neither too big and crowded--something I do not like-- overall this place is a wonderful choice for the price range and the location.

Beware of the $99/night special. My room had a bed that was very low to the ground and was pushed away from the wall, which exposed all of the dirt and dust behind the bed (see photo). There were stains on the bathroom floor (see photo) and someone had written an entire message in the bedroom mirror, which was visible with no steam from the bathroom, but still had not been cleaned. There was also construction happening very close to the hotel, which at times was so loud that I could not hear my phone calls from the room. I complained, and received another, bigger room, which was fine. The rooms have definitely not been renovated to match the sleekness of the common spaces. I wrote the property manager, Robert Clark, to express my disappointment with my first room. He has yet to respond.

The main spaces - the lobby, bar and restaurant are quite lovely, and were clearly, recently renovated.

• Deluxe Double Room

-Sometimes the noises from the street could be heard (and from the adjacent room, however they were quite loud so I guess that it was unavoidable)

-Excellent location at a great price -Large rooms -Friendy staff -Modern, clean facilities

• Deluxe Double Room

Dated rooms, terrible staff at the restaurant, poorly trained, roude, unprofessional. They discriminate guess with breakfast bouchers. Included breakfast offer is missleading.

Location, good value for money

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast was by choice at menu but usually they dont have 70% of things on menu. Not even one meat meal because they ‘ran out of it’. Waited 40 minutes to get the meal, so make sure to come early enough.

Good location, friendly front desk, nice room, well decorated with plenty of space.

The receptionists are terrible. Very unprofessional.

Breakfast was excellent..Bellboys and concierge staff make up for the friendliness and professionalism vs the grim rude receptionists.

The gentleman waiter in the morning is absolutely terrible. Because I had a breakfast coupon he literally ignored me and would not come to my table to refill the coffee, I guess he assumed no tip. I had to get up and get my coffee from his station and he still didn't come to my table. In contrast to the lady waiter who was professional, courteous and attentive.

The bellmen were wonderful. Helpful and courteous every day. They added that extra touch.

• One-Bedroom Suite

Would have appreciated a refresh of toiletries and bottled water as we stayed for 6 nights.

Stayed in one bedroom suite. V spacious with kitchenette and dining area as well as living room. Worked well for 3 adults.

NA

Great location! Excellent staff! Front Office Manager Christopher was amazing! Every detail was taken care of, and he made my stay that much more enjoyable!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• King Room - Disability Access

Room was disappointing compared to lobby. I think they are working on renovation floor by floor but the room I got was old one. Seems like all renovation will complete in 2018 so I would love to see how rooms turn out.

Lobby is amazing and well designed.

Noise from traffic outside , rooms could be better isolated

Nicely refurbished hotel witt Great staff. Very Good value for money. When there was an issue with my room I was immediately moved and upgraded!

• Junior Suite with King Bed

Construction across the street The "mini-bar" was missing some items when I arrived - photographed it and advised front desk so would not be charged - having read other reviews. Check what is stocked,

Got it on a last minute deal - excellent value for the money - the king suite was spacious, kitchen, sitting room, very comfortable bed - all in all excellent

• One-Bedroom Suite

It was advertised as to have a full kitchen. It did not. I had to purchase bowls to make say a salad, a frypan, tongs, chopping boards, kitchen knives, dish clothes, colander and more. For the money we paid we expected to get what was advertised. We chose this hotel because of what they advertised. We were there for a long time Also, the sitting area has no natural light.

The bed was comfortable. The staff fabulous

• Deluxe Double Room

Room was small. Shower had limited output of water. Half of it seemed not to be working. Toilet malfunctioned. I was swiftly put into another room.

Staff are pleasant and quickly resolved a problem. Hotel is cozy and convenient. It is excellent value when prices are low.

Aircon made a noise like an aeroplane was taking off next to you while you were trying to sleep.

Hotel lobby and situation of hotel is very nice. Staff very attentive. Accommodation (except for air-con) very comfortable.

• Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Most of the staff was really great and polite but some staff members seemed a bit confused and gave me misleading information, one of the men at the reception desk was even pretty rude.

This hotel is in a good location, pricing is very good. The lobby has been renovated recently and it looks very nice. I stayed in a Junior suite and it was great.

Really disappointed on arrival. We had booked with No pre payment / Pay at the hotel. When we arrived we were informed that our room had been cancelled as the hotel had tried to take the room rate off my bank card, which was declined. As we always travel with a pre paid card the cash in my checking account had been transferred on to the pre paid card, not leaving enough funds to cover the cost of the four night stay. Luckily the hotel was not full, so the staff gave us a room at the rate we had originally booked at. I used a different card to pay for the room. My point being, if the hotel was full and they had cancelled my room due to them not complying with the terms of my booking, my wife and myself may have ended walking the streets of Washington at 10pm looking for accommodation. Please Booking.com would you confirm the conditions of booking, this situation could have been avoided. My wife was very upset and concerned that we may not have a room after a very long day's traveling from the UK.

Great location , Nice room , Friendly staff.

• Deluxe Double Room

The very friendly receptionist promised a nice quiet room. Sadly the radio that was playing when I opened the room masked the noise of the fridge freezer and A/C plant at the back of the hotel. On the plus side the building works at the front were probably noisier.

Everything was OK. Very nice bar with decent food. Staff very friendly and helpful. Great location and nice hotel.

• Junior Suite with King Bed

My initial room had BED BUGS! - I suffered severe bites, some of which became infected. The hotel gave me another room, but were not willing to admit there were bed bugs despite me having them over my entire body, which the hotel staff photographed. The bed bug inspector (which they have on site) checked my room, but after they had changed the sheets on the bed. I suspect the bugs were in the quilt so that the inspection 'turned up no evidence' (ie blood on the sheets) was meaningless. When I first arrived in the room it did cross my mind that it was not the cleanest (ie the bed did not have the very clean white bedding that hotels usually have). The whole experience affected my entire stay and my ability to concentrate for the purpose I was there.

good location

The check in male was not very helpful when I asked for a room on a higher floor yet my friend walked in seconds later and got a room on the 8th or 9th floor! It left a very bad taste in my mouth. I booked 3 rooms the same. He told me all three rooms were on floor 2 and 3.

• Deluxe Double Room

Walls are thin. Neighbors were very noisy one night.

Excellent location near Dupont Circle. Room was large and very comfortable. Excellent value for price.

• Deluxe Double Room

Hotel charged me twice for the room, hotel charged me twice for the breakfast. Ejaculate on the couch in the room, dirty micro-oven.

Design of Lobby is great as well as the room. Location is OK. Breakfast in the restaurant was great, with 100$ bill for two

• Deluxe Double Room

Work was being done in the room above us which sometimes went to 7pm or so. Very annoying. Hotel didn't tell us at check in. Room service menu was silly. Sandwiches, soup or burgers would be appropriate for weary travellers.

Very friendly. Lovely clean room, very spacious. Facilities were great.

• Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Hotel is aged. Our room had peeling wallpaper. Room looked worn but comfortable for a family of 4.

Location is great! Near restaurants, pharmacy, etc. Nice lobby and restaurant!

• Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Overall, I really liked the property & I would definitely stay there again. If I must mention something here, I'd say the room decor could use refreshing. Also, the tap water tasted awful, which might mean that the pipes are old or maybe just that water in DC tastes bad (I wouldn't know, as I was just visiting). Still, it's a really good, pleasant hotel, with super helpful staff & an awesome location.

Excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff, super comfortable bed, fantastic cosmetics in the bathroom. I was overall very satisfied with the facility and service.

• Deluxe Double Room

Nothing. Everything was great.

The hotel had beautiful decor. Was small and intimate. Area was perfect; close to all the sites. Easy walk to the monuments and Georgetown.

• Deluxe Double Room

The rooms and corridors are very dated in terms of design and materials. The rust colored wall coverings and lack of lighting in the bathroom made it impossible to apply your makeup. The toilet leaked. The beds are terribly uncomfortable. Our mini frig froze everything solid... I know they are scheduled fir renovation but the info provided by booking.com made it seem that the room had already been renovated!! Honestly, i expect a refund bc i tried to check out after the first night and i was told i could not..,

The entrance, lobby, restaurant and bar were very stylish and modern.

• King Room - Disability Access

The bed was soft, it was ok. the lighting was awful. I couldn't see the safe in the wardrobe, there was no option for a ceiling light - all table lamps.

I enjoyed the space, we had two rooms with a sofa and two TVs. The bathroom was good having a bath/shower.

• King Suite

The staff was excellent!!! I truly enjoyed our stay! Only knock is the prices of breakfast and overall taste... My omelet was very dry and tasted awful, the mushrooms taste odd and the fruit cup that came with it had mold on the blueberries!!! I would have stayed there this weekend had the breakfast been better and didn't contain moleded fruit which is a major critical and all my years of dealing with the health department could've lead to serious consequences but out waiter was so sweet we would never had considered reporting something so small! Overall Great place to stay, 10stars!!!!!

Our room smelled of damp and there was water visably pouring down the bathroom wall from the room above. I found it hard to believe the staff did not know of this when cleaning a room daily but we were not told/warned of this. I did email management and tell the receptionist

Our reservation included free breakfast which too some proving to the staff as it wasn't in their records but we were able to order anything from the menu so it was great value and excellent choices and quality/taste

I couldn't figure out the AC, the lighting in the room wasn't great, and there wasn't a garbage can in the room. I had to throw out all my stuff in the bathroom garbage can.

Size of the room. I was upgraded to a bigger room when I got there because my actual room wasn't ready. The bellboys were really nice and the elevators seemed to always be downstairs. My floor was really quiet.

Noise between room but we were there on Labor Day so it's understandable ..

Front desk staff was not that great .. but entrance and valet were helpful

• King Suite

The valet was a little brusque, but this is a small quibble. The valet parking is also pricey (about $49 with tax).

The service was friendly and considerate at every moment, from check in to room service. The decor is a stylish contemporary scheme with dark woods in the lobby and greys and whites in the rooms. We were in the presidential suite and it more than lived up to the name, with comfortable living and dining areas and a magically soft and supportive bed. The wrap-around balcony made us wish we had more time in our trip, and the remote-controlled fireplace was a luxurious touch.

• Deluxe Double Room

All that I can say is that we did not regret our stay at the St. Gregory Hotel. Upon arriving at our hotel the staff checked us in at no time. Our room was phenomenal, before arriving we upgraded it to a bigger room and we did not expect to find such a big room. Many bars and restaurants were in walking distance, however many of the attractions of D.C. were a bit further away but a bike rental station next to the hotel was just what we needed to get around Washington D.C.

• Deluxe Double Room

This is not a problem, but overall the rooms don't match the style of the common areas of the hotel. The rooms are classic and the common areas are more modern and sophisticated.

The rooms are HUGE and very comfortable! The common areas of the hotel are extremely fancy and sophisticated. Loved it!

• One-Bedroom Suite

That I had to leave and couldn't stay longer.

Even the sofa bed felt like a dream for my friends! Awesome facilities and staff!! Will definitely book again!

• King Suite

My room was pretty warm and the AC / fan didn't get very cold, but otherwise it was nice.

Perfect location for what I needed and the staff was nice. The maintenance gentleman was especially happy.

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast was mediocre. Lobby was small and not good for hanging out or resting.

Staff were universally pleasant and helpful. The hotel was small (9 floors), boutique-like and quiet. Location was slightly off the beaten track, but still convenient to public transportation, restaurants, and attractions. Excellent value for the money. Close to Connector bus to Georgetown, attractive residential neighborhoods for walking and Connecticut Avenue for shopping.

• Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Parking is hard to find.

The overall hotel is very nice. The staff is on point and professional. The room was spacious and clean. Brunch was delicious, great bartender. One complaint.....the parking is SO HARD TO FIND! We drove past it so many times. The sign for the hotel is very small. Great restaurants all around, and some in walking distance. A lot of night life around ( U St.) Overall a great stay.

• Deluxe Double Room

Old needs to be refurbished specially the old TV. Don't need all those kitchen equipment in the room.

Close to subway and quiet area with lots of restaurants. The rooms are big enough.

• Junior Suite with King Bed

The room was clean on arrival but over the 5 night stay could have been cleaned better. Wifi was cancelled on the last morning of our stay, which was a shame as checkout wasn't until 12.

Very classy, junior king suite was roomy and it was great to have a seating and cooking area. Professional staff. Very good location. The bar area was lovely. Will stay here again.

• Deluxe Double Room

Street was a little noisy at night, but it is the city.... so not unexpected.

Front desk staff and the door man were very helpful in giving us directions to the zoo. They were also kind enough to hold our bags on the last day so we could sightsee before we had to leave for the airport.

Our stay was strange from the beginning. Prior to check-in, we waited more than 10 min since there was only one staff in the front desk (and there was a payment problem for one of the customer, overcharging). The second day, they forget to put new towels (they took the old ones but dint replace them) When I told this to staff in front desk, he took some note but I needed to say it again for the following day. Next day, someone knocked our door around 4-5am in the morning and he was yelling around (also he was knocking other doors). I tried to mention about this weird thing to the front desk (couldn't say in the morning, we were in a hurry), but there was an ambulance in the door and they were taking care the staff in the front desk, then I gave up. After we checked out, I noticed that they charged us TWICE the total amount+$100 security deposit. Still waiting to the release of the duplicate authorization.

Good location, easy to reach the public transportation.

• King Suite

The HVAC system is loud and outdated. It would wake me out of a sound sleep when it turned on. I have stayed here before and forgot that that the AC was like a jet airplane taking off

• King Suite

I didn't like the parking with valet for 42$. It's better to park in a other parking lot around. I don't like the yellow wall in the room.

I like every details in the entrance of the hotel ! Really design with the books near the tables, the seat near the receptionist.

• King Room - Disability Access

The fact that i was about to decline a room because I don't have a credit card although I offered to pay up front and put down a deposit. The staff was understanding in the end and allowed me to check in with a minumum deposit. This is an ongoing issue for me because I don't have access to an international credit card. But this is not the hotel's fault.

Everything was really good, the location, the staff, the room, everything.

• King Room - Disability Access

Strong Odor in room. Bed sheets and carpeting smelled dirty. AC not functioning. In need of serious rennovation. Fell well bellow my expectations. Stay away from this hotel because the customer service is horrible and it is dirty!

There were too many things were I thought a well-run hotel could take better care off. Whether it be lose tapestry or a missing plug for the iron water tank, I left with a mixed impression. The air condition units are also fairly loud.

The hotel is well located and has indeed a nice boutique feel. The room I had was spacious and comfortable. Good value for money I thought.