Reviews of Hotel St. James 2 stars

109 West 45th Street, New York, NY 10036, USA

#277 of 415 hotels in New York

• One King Bed Room

Nothing, to be honest. Great location, clean, had no issues.

We were on the 12th floor, facing inwards so there was no view to speak of but the fact that the room was so quiet more than made up for it. The quietest city hotel experience I had ever had and it was great to feel so rested after long days of exploring the city.

• One King Bed Room

Very noisy. Part of the window was just a piece of plastic attached between the AC unit and the wall. It was terrible value for money when we could have stayed at a decent hotel for the same rate. Staff was unresponsive too.

Good location. It was easy to walk to the Grand Central in the morning.

• One Full Bed Room

Not refrigerator on rooms. Not all the rooms has air conditionary.

The best: location. Just a meters of Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Broadway, Subway...

• One Queen Bed Room

I recommend this hotel. Centrally located near Times square, the metro and central station. Rooms are cleaned daily and are a good size. Wifi is available. A bonus are there are 2 diners next door giving best value food and coffee. Walking distance are 2 good English pubs and a theatre. The friendly staff and concierge are most helpful. We would stay here again.

• Two Double Beds Room

Just a little gripe would have been nice to have a bar but that wasn't a huge problem with lots of Irish bars close by

Great location right in the heart of Times Square and near to other attractions lots of bars restaurants and deli's close by room was spacious beds so comfy! Room was clean maid service everyday complementary toiletries and lots of towels could not fault this hotel well worth a stay and very reasonable rates

• One King Bed Room

The lockers for storage were a little hard to understand. I'm sure someone smarter than me would be just fine but if you're even a little average or below... Well then.... :) :) The hotel could use some upgrading but I can understand if it isn't being done because it's so expensive just to maintain the location. Everyone was very nice but the concierge had some trouble finding Grand Central Station from where the hotel is which seemed a bit strange. And she wasn't nearly as friendly as others.

You can't beat the location!! EASILY that is an 11 out of 10!! :) And the hotel doesn't nice job even with the location of keeping as much sound out as possible.

• One Queen Bed Room

Room a bit too warm for me even with window open but slept well anyway

Close to theaters, many restaurants/food shops with extensive options from high-end to super budget-friendly.

• One Queen Bed Room

Bed was too hard. Wifi didn't work when I checked in. Fire alarm went off in the middle of the night in my room due to low battery. Windows were so thin that I first thought they were open. Street noice was way too loud. Would not book again.

location was good

• Two Double Beds Room

I have stayed before and was perfectly comfortable. This time however they put us in a room where the blinds did not cover the window or shut properly. Also the window was broken and because of the air con, there was no noise barrier. Both of these combined I joined the city by never sleeping. When i mentioned it in the morning they said they new it was a problem but fixing things is an ongoing process. Ruined my experience of this hotel so I don’t think i will be returning!

Good location, facilities are standard and room was large

• One Queen Bed Room

We didn’t have any heat, My sink was leaking, I understand they didn’t have breakfast but it wasn’t no refrigerator ,no Ice machine,,nothing in there to warm up my food or keep it cold the only good thing about the hotel was the location

• One Queen Bed Room

I stayed here to see Carole King Beautiful the musical which was just around the corner. The front desk staff is exceptional. I have emphysema and am 71 yrs old and walked a little bit more than I should have and arrived here early and was wiped out and in a bit of distress. The front desk fellow (the friendliest front desk person I have ever met in my life) let me have an early check in which was a life saver. Room was very clean. I'm a Navy veteran and the room cleaner had the room military clean LOL. This is a no frills hotel that is clean and top notch for the price and location. 3 short blocks away is a subway stop and bus stop so you can go anywhere in NYC with transfers. Also, for food, there is an all night deli next door for food and a great Irish pub and restaurant a couple doors down and food carts everywhere in the neighborhood. Everything is functional at this hotel. I would recommend this hotel.

• Two Double Beds Room

You can’t control the temperature in your room. It was freezing in my room, i used every extra blanket and the comforter off of the other bed. There are no sevices in the hotel. Meaning no ice machine, no coffee makers in rooms. The hair dryer is so far from the mirror and it the cord isn’t long enough to see what you are doing while drying your hair )for women). If you travel with more then a toothbrush , there is nowhere in the bathroom to put your toiletries. And lastly, if you love the lights of Time Square you will love your room, because the blinds don’t close all the way so it’s like daylight all night long. Oh.... and the office workers in the building next door can see right in your hotel window- because the blinds don’t come all the way down to the sill. This property is just adequate. If you are used to creature comforts, this isn’t the place for you.

The location is perfect! Close to Tile Square, Central Park and Penn Station. The rooms have been recently renovated aand were adequate if you are looking for no frills.

• One Full Bed Room

Coffee makers in the room or even a self serve coffee area downstairs in the lobby would have been amazing, but beggars can't be choosers!

First off, the staff was amazing! Joey (I believe that's his name) at the front desk was the friendliest hotel staff member I have EVER dealt with when travelling. There are secure lockers in the hotel that you can pay $5 for and they will fit about 4 bags or about 3 suitcases for 24 hours while you wait for your room or if you want to lock them away after you check out to finish exploring before your journey home. The rooms were bigger than I expected and so were the bathrooms. We were on the second floor and our window was facing another building wall but we didn't mind because it muffled the noise from the street/Times Square. The location of this hotel is perfect if you are in town for a Broadway show and you can also walk to Central Park fairly quickly. It was $3 to take the subway from the closest station to Brooklyn bridge and then to get back to the hotel after it was about $20 for a Lyft Line ride. I highly recommend this hotel for the location and value!

• One Queen Bed Room

The bed wasn't comfortable but since we were only there for 2 nights it was tolerable. My only real "complaint" was a large exposed pipe in the bathroom that ran hot so the whole bathroom was on the warmer side, if I had kids with me I would've worried they might burn themselves if they touched the pipe for too long. Also something to note: in our room the bathroom mirror was in a corner next to a window but since the window faced nothing but brick walls it was a bit dark for getting ready in the morning.

If location is your #1 priority, this is a fantastic option. We easily walked to Times Square, the Hayes Theater and Rockefeller Center. This hotel doesn't have breakfast or even vending machines BUT the Cranberry Cafe right next store was open 24/7 so we just grabbed whatever we needed from there. Our room was at the back of the hotel facing nothing but dirty brick walls and windowsills covered in pigeon feathers but that just meant that city noise wasn't an issue for me or my sister (we come from a small, quiet town) so that worked out perfectly. I wouldn't call the room modern but it was clean and spacious for Manhattan; I've stayed at a nicer and more expensive Manhattan hotel with much less space in a less ideal location. There's lockers you can rent for $5 to store your luggage, 2 carry-on bags fit into one large locker with room to spare for coats -- we rented one after we had checked out of the hotel because we had tickets to see a Broadway show before we had to head to the airport. All-in-all this hotel was a great choice for us and our needs, if we ever come back to Manhattan I would stay here again.

• Two Double Beds Room

Mattresses were no longer supportive, caused back & neck stiffness. Slept poorly which impacted the visit. The room was outdated, and very unappealing to the eye. It felt like a very low end facility.

The bath towels were clean.

• Two Double Beds Room

The plug in our bathtub would not stop up to hold the water for baths. That was the only thing wrong.

We really loved Joey! He was so friendly & very helpful with directions to various attractions. He is certainly an asset to your hotel. We did not find any other staff especially friendly.

• One Full Bed Room

Tip's envelop on your side locker.(you would normally give tip's anyway. Internal rooms have limited sunlight even when sun is splitting the tree. little or no Street noise or flashing sign's witch has to be a bonus""

Location,room cleaning every day,staff

• One Queen Bed Room

The hot water took a long time to reach our level on the 7th floor. The staff was mostly doing their job. A few of the desk clerks were friendly.

The location was great! We didn't have hot water, and the maintenance was there immediately! The problem was that it takes quite a while for the hot water to reach the 7th floor. The shuttle to and from the hotel to JFK was dependable.

• One Full Bed Room

1. The 1st room had hair on the bed sheets; the 2nd room had chocolate on the floor of closet. 2. The heater was very loud in the midnight. 3. No air conditioner (but in the booking page it should be)

Excellent location! Very convenient for shopping, broadway, MoMA, etc.; close to stations. Safe for a single lady to be around even in midnight because this area were always full of people.

• One Full Bed Room

When heat came on in the middle of the night, the noise from the pipes was almost unbearable. I was in 308. No coffee in room and no fridge. I realize tight for space, but you should try to do something. Hotel was great but I probably would not return for those 2 reasons.

Person at front counter ( in dark rim glasses and always smiles ), very helpful and friendly. He is worth every cent you pay him

• Two Double Beds Room

Rooms had blinds and no curtains, light into the room could have been a problem but luckily we were to exhausted. Comfortable beds.

Fantastic location, near Time Square and metro. Great staff and very accommodating to any needs or questions you may have. Rooms were clean, tidy and shower was good. Great breakfast next door as hotel does not offer this service.

• One Full Bed Room

Old and shabby room, very small and hot. Staff at reception not very nice I felt very stupid while asking few questions or asking for help. Wouldn't go back there that's for sure

Location was great

• Two Double Beds Room

The fact that it wasnt clearly marked on the street was a bit difficult to find. The cleaning staff made eyes a you as you walked past them in the hallway but everyone else was very friendly.

The propery was very close to times square maybe a 2 min walk. It had 2 food places right next door that were resonably priced. Also it felt very homely and welcoming.

I liked everything.

The location is perfect for Times Square and The Rockefeller Center. Joey is an excellent front desk manager, very helpful with suggestions and a very happy attitude. Bonus, there is a Concerige in the lobby.

• One Queen Bed Room

When I asked for assistance with finding another show to go see during our stay, the girl looked up from her iphone and told me to look online. She was not very friendly or customer oriented. But the clerk behind the front desk was fine.

Very convenient to the theater district. It was clean. The price was reasonable, but don't expect a lot of bells and whistles.

• Two Double Beds Room

It's an old hotel so don't expect too many modern amenities. Hallways are narrow by usual standards. Heat and A/C not easily controlled. Did not even have an alarm clock/radio on the nightstand (but then again everyone uses their phone nowadays). But nothing too bothersome if you're trying to stay in NYC at a workable rate.

Clean and neat. You get the basics that you need at a reasonable rate. And your close by to theater district and Times Square.

• One King Bed Room

It is an older hotel but it is still nice and clean. It comfortable with all the basics.

The location is perfect, the staff were great, it is clean and comfortable.

• One Full Bed Room

There was absolutely no isolation on the windows. They placed the AC on the window, so around the AC it was covered with plastic rather than the glass. We could hear all the noise of the street, impossible to sleep. We didn't have a single good night sleep during the time we stayed in this hotel. The double bed we had was too small for two people. The room is very small, very hard to move around.

Location was good.

• Two Double Beds Room

The lighting in the room is quite dim.

The location is right in the thick of Times Square. Plus, you have easy access to great places to eat! Bryant Park is just 4 blocks away too.

• One Full Bed Room

Shower facility wasn’t great, took a long time to heat up - if it ever did

The location was absolutely fantastic and staff were very friendly and helpful

• One Full Bed Room

Maybe the price when you compare what the hotel offers...but i understand the reasons....

Well...The room was always cleaned but the hotel does not offer breakfast, which in my opinion is not necessary because the location is amazing and we can have many options of bakery and restaurants to have breakfast, lunch and so on...I think the best part of the hotel is the location...Really near of times square, 5th avenue and many touristic sights of NY...I super recommend it.

• Two Double Beds Room

It was filthy, and really out dated. Lights in room were dim as only 1 bulb out of 3 were working the lamp didn't work and was covered in dust. The carpet was worn and not been hoovered. Wallpaper flaking off. The list goes on.

• One Full Bed Room

Wi-Fi is poor in the room: bad connection on laptops and phones. Room was cold when we entered; put the heating on but took a while to start up. When it was up and running, it would clunk in the middle of the night and not stop for 5 minutes. The shower would need five minutes before it even warmed up, otherwise not a bad shower. One more note - we had to call front desk to ask how to get the water running though the shower head. House keeping took away our red pillow (one you see in the photos) as well as some trim on the bed. Not sure why. The pillows in general were very poor - if you want head support whilst you sleep, forget about it. Our room was in the corridor by the lifts. We could hear everything, not great if you're a light sleeper. One member of the front desk team was slightly rude and didn't seem too concerned about stayer's concerns.

Location was good. The breakfast place next door to the hotel was excellent. The sheets were always clean when replaced. Airport shuttle service was also good.

Beds were very firm, so if you are accustomed to softer beds it can be an adjustment. The rooms could use curtains since the lights of surrounding businesses are so bright.

The hotel was clean and the location is perfect. The front desk clerk, Joey, was a pleasure and made the trip so much fun!

• One Full Bed Room

The hotel was a great value for what I paid. The room was small but everything was clean and I don't spend time in the room except to sleep. Just what I wanted. The staff were also helpful. I would stay here again.

• One Full Bed Room

Changing rooms after a day, had no hot water, so they moved us rooms.

Comfy soft beds, very clean rooms, even though they may be basic, excellent location......

• One Full Bed Room

When carrying through bags past reception that were desinger comments were passed 'so thats where the money is' which made us feel uncomfortable and we did not feel safe leaving things out in the room we had paid for. Room made many strange noises with water pipes creaking and cracking all night and windows are poor and unsecure.

• One Full Bed Room

The rooms and public areas were very tired looking and could do with a complete makeover. We weren't happy with our original room, and were given a slightly better room on a lower floor.

The location just off Times Square was excellent. The staff were helpful and friendly. Rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels.

Nothing amazing holiday.

Clean, comfortable,friendly and Joe on the desk was very knowledgable friendly and a lovely person, come out the door turn right and time square is at the bottom of the road. Easy to get to all land marks either by walking or subway or by cab. Would stay here again if I come back to New York City .

• One King Bed Room

People in the next room were cigarette smokers,yuk. Front desk was quick to fix the issue. Thank you.

Friendly staff,very helpful. Location is great,short walking distance to so much.

• One Full Bed Room

The bedroom was somewhat on the small size and the bed was very creaky.

The hotel is conveniently located to access Broadway and most of the attractions in New York. There were 2 excellent deli's next to each other, the first being right next door to the hotel entrance, the second next door to the first deli.

• Two Double Beds Room

The hotel looks very tired and in need of being updated or freshened up

The hotel is in an ideal location but is very dated and decor is tired and worn

• Two Double Beds Room

Not having a refrigerator in the room. Also, the crew that cleaned the room did a below average job. There were a few days where the trash wasn't taken out. It was like the only thing they did do was make the bed.

The price in comparison with other hotels in the area.

• One Full Bed Room

No kettle. Which I did not realise. Had to go out for tea and coffee. Hotel very dated but good value. Staff ok

Location could not have been better. So close to Times Square. Walked to top of the rock, Empire State Building and Central Park. Clean towels and bedding every day and room very clean.

• One King Bed Room

Blinds on widows in room

Nice older Hotel within a block of Time Square. Recommend that you request a room near front of hotel to avoid noise from Air Handling Equipment at rear of hotel

• One Queen Bed Room

Some minor renovations were being made throughout the hotel were a little noisy but not intolerable.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When checking out, they let us leave our bags in the lobby while we walked around for a couple hours. They also checked us in earlier than expected.

• One Full Bed Room

The room was small and basic. No tea or coffee making facilities. We were on the 9th floor and we think that was the reason the hot water took such a long time to come through. The shower was a sprinkle rather than a power shower.

It was very close to Times Square.

• One Queen Bed Room

Location, Location, Location. Plus the excellent bed.

The location is great, but the hotel facilities lacked a little going through a refurbishment. The wifi was a bit hit and miss. But taking you are 2 minutes from Times Square and all that New York offers makes it a great base. The bed was excellent, so a good night sleep made up for the basic facilities. Only thing that would make it better is tea and coffee making facilities, especially as the hotel doesn't offer any food or drinking facilities at all.

• One Full Bed Room

The view was a brick wall, the bed was tiny for two friends to share. No hot water for a shower, towels tiny, no kettle and hotel is badly needing done up. It reminded me of the shining.

The location good and staff friendly enough

• One Full Bed Room

The AC we´re very loud in our room and I found a reset from a month ago behind one of the sideboard while I was looking for a thing of my own. (Cleaning ??) It would have been nice with a small table to sit around - It can be that way - you can be stucked at the room of different reasons. Maybe you can eat something, play cards, read or write - Whatever...

The location was fantastic. The staff that´s were in the office was fantastic also... The beds we´re really good and the towels and the soap was there every day.

• One Full Bed Room

Although the property is somewhat dated decor -wise , everything works and it’s nicely compact

Great location and with the price it sells itself . Excellent Staff, particularly Joe on the desk.

nothing I could see.

Excellent value hotel, lovely older style but very clean. The hotel St. James was perfectly positioned next to Times Square which is central to everything, great delis next door, great breakfast place one block away and many restaurants within a block also. We started with a small room at the front of the hotel which can be quite noisy from the street, but when requested we were moved to the back of the hotel in a larger quieter room which was great. The staff were very helpful. Wi-Fi was good and the beds were good.

• One King Bed Room

- Nada! Met my needs/expectations!

- Friendly staff let me in early in the morning as the room was ready to go (I originally just wanted to store my bag for the day!) - Great location; close to restaurants, in Times Square - Loved the room! - Quiet / Relaxing environment

• Two Double Beds Room

Air conditioner on window sill meant it had to stay open all night which made outside noise very disturbing. A lot of building work in surrounding area. Steps to get in and out of building so not suitable for our disabled sons wheelchair.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Centrally located.

• One King Bed Room

The overall condition of the hotel, lifts,carpets,etc is poor and in need of updating. Wifi was unreliable.

The location is this hotels best asset. Close to times square. Room large and bed comfortable. Minimal noise from the street.

• Two Double Beds Room

This is a very old facility. No frills. Nothing fancy. As basic as it comes.

Front desk was nice. Easy check in, although a big part of that was because we checked in late evening. Great location.

• One Queen Bed Room

The water was rarely hot enough for a bath

Joey on the front desk is amazingly helpful at all times, he deserves a raise because I would return to this hotel because of his service

• One Full Bed Room

The rooms are small, unfortunately my room didn't accommodate for a bar fridge.

Great location, room was small but good value for money and great location into the heart of time square.

• One Full Bed Room

It was very dated. Small for the money.very old and worn rooms. Nothing included apart from wifi. We had a king bed in a huge room the day after, included light breakfast one block from Times Square for the same price actually a tiny bit less. Wouldnt recomend it to any one.

• One Queen Bed Room

Couldn't connect to WiFi at all this time...last few times no bother.didn't spoil our break though.hopfully back next year again...home from home.x Patrick and Anna x.

The staff,especially the chap on the desk with glasses (keep forget to get his name!!!) But always so obliging love it.x

• One Full Bed Room

the front disk staff were obnoxious ( 2 of them at least), they were answering my questions with attitude, they didn't seem welcoming. So basically i had a misunderstanding with them when i ended up arriving very early (7 am) and it turned out that the check in is at 3 pm. i was very surprised and frustrated as i was totally exhausted after a very long trip. the receptionist was very rude and he was kind of saying (it is your problem not ours as there are not available room by now and that the check-ins information and rules are clearly clarified.) then what made things worse was that maid who came to the lobby and was yelling at me ( i dozed off at the coach waiting for an available room to check-in) and she was shouting angrily that it is not ALLOWED to sleep on the coach ! my whole experience was bad. the only good things about staying at St James hotel were the location and the cleanness of the room.

• Two Double Beds Room

I checked-in in this hotel for a week and it had a big impact in my stay at NYC. Its location was very strategic--go left and you reach the bus stops and subway station, go right and you reach Times Square. It was right next to a 24-hour deli store that had everything to fill your stomach. No need for a tour guide, just go to google and search the landmarks, then go to google maps and voila, you'll be at every corner of NYC without any hassle. Coming home to a comfortable, spacious, and clean room after a day's worth of walking made my NYC experience wonderful. Receptionists are lovely and energetic people. You'd want to extend your stay at this hotel!

• One Full Bed Room

No coffee in the room and no chiar to sit on when trying to watch tv, always had to sit on the bed which the bed was not comfortable at all, no padding and sinks in the middle

location and the AC worked great

• One Queen Bed Room

The building is older. If you require up-to-the-second artchitecture and decor, go somewhere else.

In the overpriced New York hotel market, this was a slightly more reasonable option to the hotel around the corner where the meeting I attended was being held. The room was decently large and very clean. Nothing fancy, but if you're in Manhattan, you shouldn't be spending time in your hotel room anyway. It was a sweltering night and the window air conditioner worked well.

• One Queen Bed Room

Our first room allocated was inapropriate for 2 people with luggage, tiny room tiny bed, we were charged $20 a day for a queen, which we had already pre purchased, each night i had a cold shower after running tap for 10 mins as advised by smirking staff, the blind (flimsy plastic) on our window was to short and didn't close so lights from opposite building shone in our eyes, no heating - on our first night i took a cold shower and was freezing was advised heating is controlled by them when it gets to a low enough temperature. Cleaning could have been a lt better quite dusty under beds and behind bedside cupboards, we felt like we were stuck here as our only option as New York is so busy, I would not recommend nor stay here again, dingy dump.

I liked the deli next door,

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• One Queen Bed Room

Joey at the desk was very accommodating and Helpful !!! Nuri the Conceirge helped with all our transportation needs. The Hotel was clean . Wished we had a coffee maker in our room. We visited Cafe Dunhill next door. Delicious Food at Cafe. loved the location. Near by all shops and Time square. It met my expecations :)

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• One Queen Bed Room

Bill to state the price as quoted on line and the conversion in Americal dollars. Suggest: Desk clert offer receipt at end of stay.

Old hotel but very clean. Courteous and friendly staff,except for the girl behind the podium near brochures. Did not smile. Unclear about my bill as Booking .com quoted Canadian price on line,but cost seemed much more when I received the credit card bill.

• One Full Bed Room

Room was bare-bones. The room was too hot and I was not sure how to turn down the radiator.

The location was great! Right off Time Square. Gentleman working the counter was very friendly and helpful.

• One Full Bed Room

Nothing the price is incredible for the location

Have been going here for years! The best value right in the middle of everything...You can always count on Joey for the best help and assistance! Great place,,,

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• One Full Bed Room

Check in was hell. Upon our arrival, the receptionist insisted on charging us a double price. I couldn't connect the internet with my phone, so I asked him to use the desk phone to contact Booking.com and he refused to let me. He even refused to try and find Booking.com phone number so that I could call from another phone. After more than an hour and a half we realised that he had done a mistake. He never appologised. The rest of the staff were great and very very helpfull.

Location was great. Good and spacy room. Most of the staff were friendly and helpfull. There are convenient lockers that can contain large suitcases after your checkout.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

No ice available

Excellent location within a block from Times Sq. Nothing fancy in hotel but good value for lodging money. Irish restaurant and Cafe Cranberry steps away provide good meal choices.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• One King Bed Room

No microwave anywhere. Or coffee.

For the value and how close the hotel was to Times Square we would definitely recommend this cozy little hotel! We loved it. Nothing fancy, but that's exactly what we wanted.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• One Queen Bed Room

The room décor in the room I stayed in was quite old and dated, the blinds where not functional and the room was quite dark, perhaps because it was facing the inside of the building and not the street.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• One Full Bed Room

Staff went above and beyond to assist in making my stay in NYC for the first time as enjoyable as possible. From giving directions to sights or suggestions of things to do in the area they made sure I was well looked after

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• One Full Bed Room

There is some stains in the towels. Sometimes the water is not hot enough esp in winter. Apart from that, everything is good.

The location is good. The staff is very friendly.

Browse Hotel St. James traveller photo gallery