Reviews of Monarch Beach Resort 5 stars

One Monarch Beach Resort, Dana Point, CA 92629, USA

#2 of 7 hotels in Dana Point

Beach
    • Resort View King

I didn't like that there were no toothbrushes in our room, so we have to call and ask for them and wait. Weddings are too noisy, I tried to read a book and relax, but there was a wedding ceremony downstairs.

Beach

We will be back for 17th for sure.
    • Resort View King

We registered at Monarch for our 16th Anniversary, Surf and Sand was booked. This is a treat for us each year, Lovely stay and staff ! Exceptional property !

My Partner and I use to go to the Monarch Resort together...

My Partner and I use to go to the Monarch Resort together for quick weekend getalways from LA. This past February Andy passed away so in his memory I took friends of ours there to experience what we loved so much about the Monarch and for my friends Virginia and Lee it was a perfect getaway at a resort like no other. Thank you Justin for making this trip even more memorable by remembering me from past stays the moment we arrived. The thing that makes the Monarch so special is it’s staff like Justin. They go above and beyond. Thank you so much for everything to the entire staff! Everything was perfect!

Best Mother/Daughter splurge-in-the-sun getaway!
    • Pool View Two Queens

The meal cost was high but not unexpected. Food was exceptional. Good choices - Poolside, amazing Bourbon Steak, Aveo outdoor Brunch, Beachside Monarch Beach Club, Links-side Monarch Beach Cafe-Superb

Lovely, beautifully maintained resort. Every staff member was friendly and responsive. The pools were our favorite - with lounge chairs, towels, umbrellas, hot tub provided and good lunch and drinks.

The luxury style of the hotel.
    • Ocean View King

It was disappointing. i booked an ocean view room when we got there it had nothing to do with the ocean. Mainly it was golf view.i asked for an ocean view they said no availability. I'm there only for 4 nights although there were more cheaper options with direct ocean view.

The luxury style of the hotel.

The beach was awesome
    • Fireside Terrace Two Queens

Everything was overpriced for being a mile away from the beach- A room service burger was $27, kids sliders at the pool were $19- We stay at many luxury properties and the costs for everything seemed to be 25% more than other comparable properties

The beach was awesome

Expensive luxury but excellent if you want to spoil yourself
    • Resort View King

We had to request the room to be serviced one late afternoon as it had not been done. The extra 18% service charge for food & drink down at the beach makes it expensive for the sundowner but the location is very good for watching the sun make its way westward.

Amazing beach which is in easy walking distance.

Very relaxing and easy to reach from our house in San Diego.
    • Resort View King

My wife and I have stayed many times at the St Regis Monarch Bay. I had a hard time finding Monarch Beach Resort on the internet and determining that it replaced the St Regis. I do not like to redesign and the place has lost the warmth of the St Regis. The redesign is too cold and austere for me. On Saturday night there was NOBODY in the bar area and the musician was playing to nobody !!! Then I heard that the new focus will be on families with children. Oh Boy, that is the last thing I want at a hotel like this to find a bunch of screaming kids. Bring back the ambiance of the St Regis.

butterfly wrapped chocolates

Nice staff, luxurious surroundings but needs better management
    • Pool View King

This is a 5 star resort that can be better run. I left my phone charger at home, they directed me to the gift shop instead of offering a charger for me to borrow. Self parking was full, so I had to valet. Disorganized--the shuttle to beach was not operating and we initially had no one to take us to sunset yoga class. Thank goodness a nice man stepped in to drive us

Staff was very welcoming, bellhop was super super helpful and knowledgeable. He took the inititative to look up things such as the sunset time for that day

This resort is on another level.
    • Pool View Two Queens

This resort is on another level. Amazing staff, stunning setting, ideal beach set up including a restaurant. Expensive, but worth the splurge for an occasional getaway.

Very disappointed to pay for an ocean view room and not get what we paid for!
    • Ocean View King

Had reserved and paid for for an ocean view room with booking.com, but they gave us a room with golf course view and other houses. Much to my disappointment they did not move us to an ocean view room nor reduce the price appropriately to reflect the room they gave us since it was pre paid!

Nice beach

Beautiful property but was expecting something more refined
    • Resort View Two Queens

Too many young people who weren't very professional at their jobs; private beach needed a thorough machine raking of sand

The expanse of the property; big rooms; beach restaurant; live music

Food and amenities were excellent.
    • Pool View King

While renting a cabana, you don't get dedicated service. We frequently had to flag down wait staff (which wasn't their fault as they had a large area to cover). As with many resorts, EVERYTHING is overpriced. $40/day to park. $6 for a simple cup of coffee. Every meal will run you $40-$80/person (not including alcohol).

Food and amenities were excellent. Property is beautiful.

Elegant, but busy hotel in Dana Point
    • Resort View King

Directions to find rooms and elevator are not clear Checking in waiting lines Valet waiting lines Breakfast buffet waiting lines No direct access to beach

Bed and bathroom - all decoration in general

The stuff, they are extremely friendly and lovely.
    • Resort View King

When I booked the hotel in Booking.com they said that I can delay my checkout to 4pm, this not true, but was a Booking.com fault! The restaurants at hotel definitely need a new and more attractive menu.

The stuff, they are extremely friendly and lovely. The pool is amazing and the bedrooms are really clean and comfortable!

Nice Place, But a Few Hitches Hold it Back
    • Ocean View King

It's more ocean view than beachfront, as one has to take a trolley for beach access. It's a small inconvenience as the wait can be 10-15 minutes. A couple of small things bothered us a bit. First, it's a very family-oriented spot. Don't get me wrong, we love kids. We have four of our own. But this is not the quintessential couples getaway spot. There are lots of young kids, and dogs, too, for that matter. I don't get the dog thing on vacation, but that's not the property's fault! I also booked an oceanfront table at the Beach Club for our anniversary dinner and did that about a month in advance. I had the concierge check back ahead of time, to make sure. And that night when we arrived, we were told they were busy and our table wouldn't be available. A young busboy named Cory was very helpful and attentive, much more so than our waiter, Sam, who seemed genuinely disinterested that we were there that night. Another hitch were the massages we received in the spa. Both were supposedly deep tissue, but when I asked my masseuse for a little more pressure, her very polite response was that she 'would try'. She might have done that, but there was virtually no change so a very expensive massage was just..... fine. Not exactly what you're looking for when you invest the kinds of resources they charge.

The customer service is outstanding and the property is lovely. The staff is very courteous and respectful and of course, you can't beat the weather.

Awesome resort but very pricey
    • Resort View King

The meal prices were over the top. Way too expensive. Soup and a sandwich for 2 for lunch with water was $71.00. Breakfast for 1 was $66 for eggs bacon and a waffle.

The service was supreme from the time I stepped off the shuttle. The rooms were really nice and the bed was heavenly.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

relaxing
    • Resort View King

Breakfast is inclusive in my room rate. However, staff didn't explain where, when can I have the breakfast and also how it works. I called the front desk to ask, staff told me I can have my breakfast in any restaurants in the public area. Next morning, I asked again while walking pass, the staff said I should go to "Aveo", it is the only restaurant to serve breakfast............as there is no buffet but A La Carte on my first day, I don't know how much can I order, so I called the front desk again at night, this time, the staff is very helpful, she explained clearly, I have $50 credit everyday, now I know. I think the front desk should provide more information regarding my booking, like the wifi service, info of breakfast. Besides, I checked-in at around 10pm on my first day, there is no turn down service. The housekeeping didn't replace all I consumed at room, like coffee caplsure, tea, bathing set...they didn't give me extra bathing set for my three days accommodation unless I asked on the third day. Overall, all staff are helpful and friendly, but as a luxury hotel, the service should be more considerate.

I am so pleased to being upgraded to a sea view room, the view of my room is excellent and I love the fire place so much! Breakfast is tasty, staff are very helpful especially Nancy. She is very pro-active, she always sense my need before I asked, she also explain that I can have a complimentary tea or coffee to takeaway after breakfast, which no one told me on my first day. No wonder everyone have a takeaway drink when leaving.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Pretty nice re-model, but never going back due to no one telling me about "3rd night free"
    • Ocean View King

Worst thing: Booking.com FAILED to tell me there was a "3rd night free' promotion during the time I booked it. I paid over $700 a room for 2 nights, and I'm really not happy that no one pointed out the deal, as I would have saved a ton.

Great location, staff very courteous

Beautiful, full-service resort!
    • Accessible King

Beautiful, recently renovated resort with amazing views! Although it was a busy Easter holiday weekend, the property did not seem crowded at all. A lovely experience.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Staff were fabulous.
    • Resort View Two Queens

The pool was unfortunately shut for a day. There was a back up pool. when we did get to the pool it was wonderful. The tram to the pool was not as regular as they stated. We waited longer than the 10 minutes

Staff were fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble. The remodel of the foyer area is really fantastic-great design. Rooms were clean and large for the standard size.

Great weekend getaway, only one small hiccup.
    • Fireside Terrace Two Queens

We were only there for one night and the main pool area was closed for the day. I guess there was an issue with drainage, so my wife and I had to hang out in the kiddie pool area for the day. Even though we made the most of it, (given the price for one night) it wasn't ideal.

The staff was amazing, the room was great, and the location was breathtaking.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon!
    • Resort View King

Not a thing. Loved every bit of it.

Couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon! Absolutely beautiful property. My wife and I had a great room on the first floor with a fireplace. Great place to watch the sunset and enjoy a glass of wine. Played a round of golf and couldn't ask for better conditions...or a better breakfast burrito from the cafe at the turn.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

A perfect end to a holiday!
    • Ocean View Studio Suite

The hidden charges should be given - tax; valet parking and use of pool should be free for the cost of the room. Golf overpriced as course not in great condition.

The facilities and service were excellent

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Still my favorite resort in SoCal.
    • Standard King

The spa is extra, so even for using the steam room there is an extra charge. When going to a 5 star hotel its a bit strange to have to pay to use the spa.

I like that its not changed much from St Regis times. Its a beautiful hotel and the staff was wonderful.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

40th Anniversary at the Monarch
    • Ocean View King

We wish we could have stayed longer!

We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay extra special. We were given an upgraded room with a beautiful view. Once in the room we received fruit and champagne. We received a special dessert at dinner out on the beach. They also accommodated a late check out. Each member of the staff greeted us by name and gave us congratulatory wishes throughout our stay. We had an absolutely wonderful time!

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Beautiful hotel, amazing amazing staff!
    • Resort View Two Queens

Not one staff member that we came in contact with was anything but outstanding. They all went above and beyond as far as customer service. I've never stayed at a hotel this amazing from customer service, to cleanliness to location, on and on. Can't say enough good things about this beautiful friendly accommodating hotel.

Lovely
    • Pool View King

Aggressive pool towel people.

View! Big rooms, ride to the beach, Starbucks coffee shop. It is fancy:)

Beauty and elegance

Beauty and elegance

Luxury stay

Fairly expensive

Facilities at the Monarch Bay Resort at excellent as is the food and service.

All was well

Entire stay very nice

Gd but far away from activists
    • Resort View King

The system of hotel play with my credit all time

Clean

Great hotel good service.

Great hotel good service. Beautiful

Amazing resort, great for relaxation.

The hospitality.

• Resort View King

You closed both pools for and event. We were here for one night that was not acceptable for the guest’s. I won’t be returning

Staff was excellent

Fabulous relaxing break
    • Resort View King

Beaches and the beach club particularly

Fabulous. A little expensive but fabulous
    • Accessible Two Queens

Parking expensive. Pool a little noisy due to guests using cell phones

Everything. Fab hotel

Our stay was fine
    • Accessible Two Queens

Seemed the staff could use more training from management.

The location and views

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Will not return
    • Fireside Terrace King

Staff was dismissive. Seating by the pool grossly inadequate for the number of guests. Exorbitantly expensive for what you get.

Always the Best

Beach and property

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Excellent 5 Star Resort

Distance to the beach

Service was excellent

Friendly staff
    • Premium Pool View Two Queens

Food just okay for the price; room not ready at check in time; beach not as clean as expected.

Friendly staff

Everything!
    • Resort View King

Everything!!! Service was absolutely amazing.

Beautiful hotel, friendly staff & very relating
    • Pool View Two Queens

Restaurants & room service were highly over priced. So was the parking.

Beautiful hotel, friendly staff & very relating

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

There is no 'adult' pool it was filled with little...
    • Accessible King

There is no 'adult' pool it was filled with little kids

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Beautiful Butterfly Resort
    • Accessible Two Queens

Breakfast options suck in the sit down restaurant

The private club is Bomb BestBloody Nsrys in the world

Beautiful but pricey.
    • Pool View King

Little far from the actual beach. Everything was a bit pricey.

Room was spacious. Bathroom was huge. Pool staff was nice.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

nice relaxing environment
    • Fireside Terrace King

Inconsidtencies in service-- lacking toilet paper

Outside balcony with firepit

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Better signage in hotel - hard to find where the other...
    • Pool View Two Queens

Better signage in hotel - hard to find where the other bars/restaurants were.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Bravo an excellent stay
    • Pool View Two Queens

very nice staff and excellent property

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Spa prices too high for quality

Spa prices too high for quality

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

Fabulous property
    • Premium Pool View Two Queens

the food was mediocre

the property is magnificent. the beach club is excellent

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Dreamlike

Everything was lovely

The ocean views!!!

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Posh hotel, too far from ocean
    • Pool View King

Having to take a trolley to the beach.

The bed was very comfortable. Very attentive staff.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

beautiful, lovely, top-notch resort

$40 per day parking.

gorgeous setting. comfortable beds. so kind to upgrade view. excellent food.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Very nice property
    • Standard King

The room was comfortable and spacious! Stone hill tavern was very nice. We had the tasting menu with wine pairing, marvelous!

Beautiful spot that too many people know about
    • Pool View King

Crowded and felt a little chaotic

Staff was helpful and responsive; facilities and views stunning

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

Beautiful setting!
    • Fireside Terrace Suite

Bar service was slow. Bartender (female) was talking to a group of girls thus ignoring other patrons.

Food everywhere was awesome.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

loved the entertainment:)

loved the entertainment:)

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Perfect again!
    • Premium Resort View Two Queens

Kori Walker at the Front Desk was super helpful!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2016

The room was extra nice and big.

The hotel was going through a major construction project on their out door facilities so there were no pools, spas or grounds to use. had I known this prior to our reservation, I would not have stayed during their construction.

The room was extra nice and big. The bathroom was extraordinary and made the lack of a spa, due to construction, easy to forget. The view from every floor was beautiful. The private beach and beach side bar were nice surprises. Can not wait until the construction is completed so we can gladly return.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2016

The service was amazing - enjoyed every minute of our time...

The service was amazing - enjoyed every minute of our time there! And the butterfly chocolates delivered in the evening were an extraordinary touch. Cannot WAIT to go back!

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

Love the design of the room.

The Service at the bar area was a bit spotty and slow. This was the only thing I didn't like about the hotel.

Love the design of the room. All designed by Jonathan Adler. Rooms were clean. The downstairs deli place was perfect for a quick breakfast.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2016

Everything was exceptional.

There were major renovations going on so we couldn't try the spa or enjoy the grounds. The location is ok, I would've liked to have been closer the ocean. But the short drive to laguna beach is very nice and scenic.

Everything was exceptional....the room was big, clean, and comfy. It was perfect for a romantic get away. It was very close to the beach.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2016

Everything was fabulous.

The pool and the spa were closed due to construction. There should have been a caveat when booking. Thank goodness there at least was beach access.

Everything was fabulous.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Not a lot to like- our stay was off to a bad start.

Soooo we enter the hotel at 3.30, it was me and a friend. Waited in a fairly long line only to be told check in isn't until 4, so we'll have to wait. To be noted here: everyone in the line was being served champagne except for my friend and I. At this point I am not that concerned with being passed over for some cheap champagne. The guy behind the desk tells us it is worth waiting for our room because our room was amazing- he could put us in another room but that was a pool view room and the pool was under construction. First off, I would be PO'd if I was there to enjoy the pool, because there was no indication at the time of booking or after that the pool was under construction. So we wait. At 4.10ish, I ask someone in the lobby to check if my room was ready and she comes back and says yes. So off I go, stand in a line AGAIN only to be told AGAIN at 4.20 that the room wasn't ready and it would be another 30 mins. Now I am passed over for champagne yet again and this time I am ticked off. Check in was at 4, so where is my room? And where is my cheap champagne? Profuse apologies at this point and a promise that there will be a bottle of Champagne that will follow us to the room and that they will give us a $50 credit. How generous of the St. Regis to give me a $50 credit- not even a full meal in the OC. We had dinner reservations at 6.30 for a restaurant in Newport Beach and needed to leave by 5.45 for that and get dressed before leaving (2 girls, so that would take some time). So half an hour later I get a call on my phone, saying my room is ready and there will be a person in the lobby (the awesome lady who couldn't care to serve me champagne when she was falling over herself to serve everyone else) who I can just tell to get the room keys for me, because they did not want me to wait in line again. Ok, great! So I go there, only to watch awesome champagne lady walk away to the back of the house to replenish cheap champagne for weary arrivals.

Not a lot to like- our stay was off to a bad start. The bellboys did good, I guess.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2016

The fact that I learned of no pool/spa at check in Golf staff was rude at check-in Restaurant hostess at the Beach club and Hotel restaurant were rude

Location Actual golf course Cart drivers

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

Loved the location and overall venue;

Booking.com did not indicate that there was major construction going on during our stay. This is evidently why it was reasonable considering a 5 star resort. Things like that need to be disclosed prior to arrival.

Loved the location and overall venue; beautiful view!

• Reviewed: 13 March 2016

Beautiful room and helpful staff.

Stay away until May! My wife and I went to the hotel for a weekend away from the kids and to lie by the pool as have had fabulous experiences in the past. E But the entire grounds are undergoing a full renovation. I don't remember being notified of this when I made the reservation it's a shame to spend the money to stay at a 5 star hotel and see greens construction netting outside your windows. I appreciate the fact that these renovations are to make the hotel better but we may have made a different choice if we knew that we were not going to be able to use the pool.

Beautiful room and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2016

The room was very nice.

Closer to the ocean when it says ocean view. Our room was a great location except for the fact that all the work trucks, porta potty and materials for the work they are doing to the resort were right outside are window. Took the romantic evening sunset away. Noisy, people moving furniture very late in the evening and early in the morning.

The room was very nice. Bed was comfy but a little high. The room came with everything you would need for a romantic evening. The bathroom had everything I brought from home. Turn down service was an extra nice touch.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2016

the private beach.

well, to me, having to give your room number to take the tram and give your name was a little off putting to me, especially as it didn't seem like people were trying to sneak or steal that ride and although i gave the facilities perfect scores, i didn't know that the pool was torn up and some people would not like that as it was prominent, that and some of the parts of the hotel behind make shift barricades...but the places that are fine are so awesome that overall i still wanted to give it a great rating; i like to support service people, but several times a day i was giving out tips and usually that meant about $60 per day, sometimes more and i almost would have rather had one person that was my go to person, but not a big deal; these are just suggestions if i ran the place i'd work on

the private beach...paradise....the take your breath away view as you enter...sublime....the elegance of the room...terrific....the genuine joy and politeness of staff...refreshing

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

The rooms are very comfortable, with high end bedding and...

Facility is under refurbishment which distracted from the overall experience. Some of the restaurants were closed which put more guest load on the ones that were open, which made reservations a must at all meal times. Our first discovery of that cost us an hour and a half.

The rooms are very comfortable, with high end bedding and bathroom features. For my birthday, they had complimentary Champagne and chocolates waiting in the room when we arrived. A very nice touch.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

I took my husband to celebrate his 60th Birthday.

I took my husband to celebrate his 60th Birthday. And we were extremely pleased with our overall experience. From being greeted at valet parking to when we walked into the hotel, we were surrounded and greeted with such a heartfelt welcome and beautiful big smile from everyone around us. We had a fabulous time! The private beach was our highlight of our trip. The sound of the waves and ocean breeze was perfect! My husband & son truly enjoyed relaxing outside on the patio chairs as they were both listening to music on their headphone set; while I was enjoying my delicious Mai-tai drinks. They were the best #1 Mai-tai's ever!!! Compliments to our bartender!! A HUGE THANK YOU & KUDOS to Francis, Ricky, and Marcello for helping me make my husband's 60th birthday a SUPER SPECIAL & SPECTACULAR SUCCESS!!

• Reviewed: 27 January 2016

Lovely room and luxurious bathroom.

View of dug up pools and boarded up areas of lobby and restaurants from window/balcony of room. Shampoo was not good for long hair.

Lovely room and luxurious bathroom. Fabulous!!! Could see ocean in distance from room balcony. 1/2 price valet parking and no resort fees. Close proximity to several beach cities. Definitely a Booking.yeah! moment upon entering room :)

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

I paid for a garden room but got put next to the dinning...

Not getting what I paid for

I paid for a garden room but got put next to the dinning area, and workers started working very early Sunday morning, just not as good as the first time I stayed there

There are also 62 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.