Reviews of Stage Coach Lodge 3 stars

1111 Tenth Street, Monterey, CA 93940 , USA

#24 of 67 hotels in Monterey

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

Pleasant, relaxing & comfortable 2 night stay

Bed exceptionally comfy, good breakfast, Guy on reception very helpful and informative. Very kind considering I flooded bathroom and soaked reception area.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

Great for a Honeymoon - close to attractions

The bed was very comfortable. Room was clean. The bed had a lot of pillows and we didn't need to ask for extra. The room even had a no slip mat to put down for the shower. The property was pretty with trees and flowers in the parking area.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

A super place to stay, in the heart of everything.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

A super place to stay, in the heart of everything. We had organised car rental and Sportsman Lodge was easy to find. Parking was perfect at the back and café in the hotel was super.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Cute little lodge on the edge of town

A little out of the heart of things but a short drive in if you have a car. I think about 30minute walk. Wouldn’t deter me from staying again though, especially given the value for money.

Staff were friendly and offered plenty of recommendations. Rooms were spacious and clean. Breakfast space was small but pleasant. Free parking.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Manager was very personable and helpful.

Person in room above was noisy in middle of last night. Repeatedly walked back and forth apparently making no effort to be quiet(3:45 to 4:30 and 6AM).

Manager was very personable and helpful. Housekeeper also very helpful.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Very comfortable location if you are travelling along the...

Breakfast was just terrible

Very comfortable location if you are travelling along the PCH. But there was almost nothing around the hotel, so it is ok only for night

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

There was nothing to dislike.
    • Deluxe King Suite

There was nothing to dislike. We booked on the spur of the moment when our previously booked motel did not live up to expectations. Everything was great from the management to the facilities. Would definitely book again if in the area.

I’d rather stay at a place with a restaurant/bar nearby.

Very expensive for an out of the way hotel. The tiny tiny pool wasn’t heated. The smoke alarm went off from the shower steam, rang for at least 5 minutes, and there was no response from the staff.

The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast offerings was very nice

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

We loved it here! Thank you

Couldn’t ask for more for the $!!!!!

If you like friendly staff, extremely clean comfortable, tastefully decorated , quiet rooms , this is the place for you. We could not have asked for a better stay and would recommend over many of the higher end motels. Easy walking distance to all you want to do!!! We are so glad this was the place we chose!

A basic down-to-earth motel; VERY basic breakfast which we did not eat
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Found a dirty sock by the bed which means I doubt the room had been vacuumed - bathroom and beds fine. Little too far to walk to tourist things such as Fishermen’s Wharf

Michael at front desk was exceptional

Economic price during the week in Monterey

Very basic breakfast. It was not very clean in the room. E.g. there were hairs in the shower at the wall. It was very loud. But mostly you heard the neighbours upstairs.

We liked that it was central. Unfortunately we just were able to stay the night in Monterey. The price was ok. Parking is included.

Great location for seeing Monterey & Carmel

Bigger selection for breakfast e.g. more fruit options

The room was great. Hotel is in a good location and all places of interest are within easy walking distance. The breakfast was basic and the breakfast room is tiny, however you can take it back to your room to eat.

Not worth the price

The mattresses are old and uncomfortable. You also sink into the middle. Cheap quality mattresses for $350+ a night.... i should have slept in my car that night. Free breakfast included?? Would have expected scrambled eggs and bacon.... definitely not what you pay for here. I don’t understand how this site calculated the rating to 4.2 it should be at most a 1.2

We only had one night in Monterrey but this was a perfect...

We only had one night in Monterrey but this was a perfect stopover. We could have stayed longer. The hotel is in a good location for the town and provides a simple but perfectly adequate breakfast in the morning which saves lots of time. Good shower in the bathroom. Each room is named after somewhere along Big Sur with a picture in the room which was nice.

If I go Car Week I guess you stay where theres room no matter this review is just for people to know

The beds have to be 12 years old the springs were squeaky it was old and for the $ not worth it although it was Car Week and everyone hoses you. But I guess thats what it is and will be.

The coffee was awful. The rest was just basic cereal and croissants were so so

Perfect.

Very clean and beautiful room. Stayed in a Queen room with 2 queen beds. Awesome. Very friendly staff. I highly recommend staying here. Close to everything including the park, fisherman's wharf and cannery row. Will most definitely use them again.

see above

coffee

Clean room; OK breakfast-what can you expect for free? The coffee needs an upgrade-great location; close to everything. More than I would pay ($221) for this type of motel-but travelling in August (high season) and in central Monterey; was the best I could find.

Pretty flowers on outside wall of building.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The swimming pool was way too small. There was only one staff at the concierge all the time. But he was kind.

Pretty flowers on outside wall of building.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

A nice place needs nice people to run it.

In booking, my request for "Pet Friendly" was lost. I checked in. Checked the room, which was very nice and took my 4lb 11 year old Maltese to the office to ask where the walking area was for her. They really could have handled it better. I was treated as if I was trying to sneak her in. and nothing I could say made any difference. Such as out of all of the properties that are friendly, Why would I choose one that wasn't and walk in with her? When I offered to leave and asked for a refund, the room had not been used, I was told because I had gone through Booking.com a 3rd party they could not refund me, they were not helpful at contacting booking, they finally did back down after saying at first that they could not contact you they did but my paperwork was in the room (I was just walking my dog not going to the office) and I would have to pay an additional $160 for her. I finally took her to a friends and climbed in bed after midnight, exhausted with a big day the next day. I felt rather abused. There are ways to deal with an honest mistake. The customer is not the enemy. Help them. And they looked at my little clean white dog as if she was a huge filthy slobbering mess. That was just rude.

Nice place to stay

The property was lovely, it was a nice place to stay and felt very safe when walking to the beach/pier area closeby. We had a great stay and we would definitely go back again. Breakfast was nice too!

This was a lovely place and the staff were really helpful...

Nothing all good

This was a lovely place and the staff were really helpful giving us lots of information about what to do. Location was excellent for the fisherman’s wharf area.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

See above.

The manager and his wife are special people. I had several needs, and lots of questions, and every thing was answered with a smile. I just hope that I will,travel this part of,California again, because I, want to stay here again. There was nothing I did not like.

See above. The Manager is just fabulous. Due to disability, I was able to stay on the first floor. What a great place.

I felt safe & rested well at this lovely hotel.

The Stage Coach Lodge was such a pleasant find at our recent stay in Monterey. The location is near some main roads that get you where you need to go. It was so quiet as well, being on the edge of a residential neighborhood. The review regarding cleanliness was totally accurate!

Just ok
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast which was a shambles not enough room very limited choice and limited seating an accident waiting to happen! Got charged for an extra adult for no reason which the owner said was booking.com’s fault. Both children are under 18. Am awaiting recompense for this....

Room size and decor

I will stay here again when in the area. Excellent facility!

There wasn't anything I didn't like about this facility.

The room was very spacious and very comfortable. Very quiet, with no noise from other rooms. Facility is not a real large facility and it is well located to all the places in Monterey and the surrounding areas. Bed was very comfortable, and the room was well decorated. Front desk was very helpful. Breakfast was good.

Lovely Clean, modern and quirky motel, would recommend.

The breakfast was lacking, very limited choice and not great quality of what was on offer.

The rooms are clean and modern, the motel itself is quirky and has a beautiful bloom of flowers outside when we stayed. There are washing and drying facilities and a safe in your room.

Very good value for money
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was a good 20 minute walk into town so I would have preferred somewhere a little closer

Lovely large, clean rooms and friendly, helpful staff. Plenty of parking and a surprisingly good selection for breakfast. Good coffee too.

We had a room upstairs at the end of the coridor, so it was...

Very small breakfast room.

We had a room upstairs at the end of the coridor, so it was quiet. We didn't even hear the nearby highway, because our room was at the backside of the house. Luxurious bathroom! Wonderful bed. It was easy to get into the town centre.

It was such a sweet surprise to be upgraded to a king suite,...

It was such a sweet surprise to be upgraded to a king suite, especially since it was our honeymoon. The room was beautiful! The man who checked us in was so friendly and went over a map of the area without us even requesting it. He said if he had known it was our honeymoon, he would’ve put a bottle of wine in the room too!

This was a truly expensive mistake for us.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was dark and dreary; the refrigerator didn't work; the shower in the tub wouldn't drain; the hair dryer screeched when used; the coffee pod was already used; the sheet on one of the beds had a blood stain so was not useable; the styrofoam coffee cups in the office didn't have lids available to allow it to go on the road when we decided to pass on the breakfast offerings.

Honestly, we found the gentleman who checked us in the only positive of this experience.

Good clean motel with very friendly and helpful staff,...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bit of a problem getting hot water in the shower in the morning. Got there in the end but took 15 mins or so.

Good clean motel with very friendly and helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble.

The couple that runs the hotel is very,very nice.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The couple that runs the hotel is very,very nice.The room was clean and the breakfast was for the low price more than good.You can even create your own waffles.

Good value for money, great for a one night stop.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

General issue with US is that what is called 'Continental' breakfast is nothing more that few pastries, a coffee machine and some toasts.

Good value for money. Great for one night stop. Clean and comfy.

The room was spacious and clean.

The breakfast seating arrangement

The room was spacious and clean. We definitely enjoyed our stay here and will stay here the next time we are in Monterey..

A refreshing Stay

The location was a little out of town, but not too far.

The room was very comfortable, it had a fridge and a microwave as well as a coffee machine. The breakfast was slightly limited but enjoyably. I particularity liked the decor throughout the place and also the fact that the rooms all had names. We had the Jelly Fish Room, nice touch. We also had a nice book on the local areas with tips for getting the most out of the area. The staff were really helpful too.

Lovely outside area, room was comfortable everywhere was...

Very cramped area for breakfast not really enough room for the guests Toilet seat was broken and there was a terrible drain smell outside the day we left

Lovely outside area, room was comfortable everywhere was spotless

Super comfortable, like a much more expensive hotel

Our room was right next to the cleaning closet so it was a little loud in the morning but no big deal

Super nice hotel. For just a little more money than the crappy motels, the inside of the room felt like a Hilton or something that’d cost way more. The front desk staff were amazing and very courteous and the whole experience was great for our stay. Would definitely stay here again!

We will defy one back.!

From our room we could hear the air conditioning unit going on and off during the night at a room near by..

Cleanliness, convenient and how relaxing it was staying here. Very quite...:)

It is quite close to the centre of Monterey and the...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was disappointing. There was a very small area so it became crowded, but there was nothing gluten-free that I could eat anyway despite including the request on my booking.

It is quite close to the centre of Monterey and the abundance of flowers around the front of the property makes it look nice. The staff like to offer suggestions of what to see and do in the area.

The person at check in and check out was always cordial.

The room was very comfortable. The only down side was, being advertised as including breakfast, it was more of a continental breakfast than full.

The person at check in and check out was always cordial. Greeting people as they came in for breakfast and inquiring if anything was needed.

Pleasant. We are from New Zealand and appreciated the facilities.

The location. We had trouble finding the property and found it difficult to get there from the freeway.

Everything was provided. It was clean and well presented.

A pleasant surprise.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It was a little hard to find. If you don't come in from the right direction it can be easily missed. I'd paint over the Stagecoach mural out front and change the name of the place. But a nice find for the price.

It is an older property but the room and bathroom were updated and much nicer than I expected. The continental breakfast was good enough to get you going, the staff was friendly and the pillows were great.

Excellent value, top notch service!

The customer service was top notch! We didn’t know what to expect when we booked last minute at a rate of $85 for a king bed room. We arrived at midnight and the gentleman working the front desk was so friendly and helpful. Our room was absolutely spotless and had everything we needed. We will absolutely be back and we’re going to recommend this hotel to everyone!

The lobby people was nice and friendly give USA info to...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I don’t like that it shows that the have pool and it dosent said that they don’t have a heating pool and the reason I get this hotel was because of the pool since I traveled with my kids. Water was so cool my kids were very disappointed. I should said that they don’t have so people will no and decide if they want to get this place I will not rent this place again.

The lobby people was nice and friendly give USA info to where we can go which it was a nice place

Would definitely stay there again.

The only slight downside was that the junction leading from the main road to the hotel road was weirdly positioned so you had to be careful when entering as other drivers didn't seem to know how it worked so it wouldn't be too difficult to have a little crash BUT this is not the hotel's fault and in no way is it a reflection of the hotel at all! Just be wary when driving there, especially at night as the road signs and markings are ambiguous.

Nicely positioned basic but comfortable and clean hotel/motel. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. The rooms were absolutely fine, they were clean, everything worked and it was in a quiet neighborhood. The wifi worked well, there's a very small pool although we didn't use it and the beds were nice and comfy. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to walk into Monterey but it's a nice walk and there's always Uber if you feel lazy.

Very clean hotel. If you choose to book here, be sure to call and request a room upstairs.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

More training is needed at the front desk for checking in. Also, we were four best friends on a weekend away and was given a room downstairs with children running around in the room above us. Perhaps rooms booked with children can be assigned downstairs for the comfort of others. No jacuzzi. Very cold pool. A jacuzzi is needed if the hotel continues to have a non-heated pool. We took a dip but just too cold. If we had a jacuzzi we would have been fine.

Very clean facilities and the staff were very congenial.

Very happy we stayed at the Stage Coach Inn!

The only thing I could say negative was the shower was not hot enough and did not have great water pressure.

It was super clean, had everything we needed, and the price was great!!

Good value for money stop

Location to town centre, surrounding amenities.

Good value hotel, situation 20 mins walk from fisherman’s wharf. Quiet location in residential area. Nice to have had continental breakfast included, great. Not much around the hotel in terms of restaurants or bars, need to drive or taxi. Small pool on site if weather warm enough.

The rooms are clean and comfortable.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The man at the front desk wasn't welcoming to my child. He barked at him for gently touching things in the waiting area that were right at his four year old eye level and looked just like toys. When we arrived at 8pm they couldn't find our reservation and wanted us to wait while they searched and called booking.com despite the fact that they had rooms available and I had several copies of the reservation. I insisted that they put us in a room and sort it out on their own time.

The room was so clean and recently updated. The bed was very comfortable and the room was nicely decorated.

Overall it was such a blessing to stay there

That I couldn’t bring my pet if I wanted to.

Especially the cleanliness. Also with a big Vehicle they made it easier to park. Meaning they accommodated me.

Decent motel short driving distance from downtown Monterey

Breakfast too sugary and served with plastic cutlery and plates. Didn't use the swimming pool as out of season, but the pool being located in the parking lot isn't very appealing.

Comfortable room and large bed; perfectly clean bathroom.

Great value, comfort, situation and service
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

Can't think of anything that I didn't like.

Ideally situated, great value hotel. Clean and spacious rooms, with coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Lovely little dip pool area too. Good selection of breakfast items, which you could eat in and chat with fellow travellers, or take back to your room. The customer service was great, informative and nothing was too much trouble. I would definitely stay there again and recommend to others, if I returned to the area.

Quaint, quiet place

Very distracting creaking of floor boards from visitors who stay in the upper level. Could hear sound from their TV. It was especially bad when they get up at around 4-5 am and start moving around. Didn't like the lighting of the bathroom - not well lit, It wasn't abit further than expected if you are planning to walk.

The breakfast was really simple. Toast / Jam/ Butter/ fruit / 2 choices of cereal / milk / coffee. The bed was comfortable, with clean linen. They go a further step and provide makeup remover towels. I thought that was really sweet.

Stayed like a queen, very beautiful and comfy.

The only downside was the breakfast. It was not exactly scanty but much more was desired. They had the usual cereals, milk, coffee, juices, bread, butter, jam, muffins, croissants. But some kind of egg or sausage would had made it more fulfilling.

The small hotel and the rooms were very beautiful. Very comfortable. Very spacious. Had all the amenities such as Safety safe, kettle, Iron board, microwave, fridge, big screen hd tv, loads of channels to watch, bath tub, 24hrs hot and cold water, air condition etc. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They let me check in early and check out late. I had a conference at Hyatt which was 5 min walking from this hotel and hence I found the location excellent but its not exactly in the city center. But its very close to the Monterey regional airport. Also the bus stop is just 5 mins walk. However the Fisherman's Wharf was not exactly near but walk able and Del monte shopping center is one bus ride away. Will definitely stay here again.

The room was more roomy than most motel.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The air conditioning in room 129 was extremely noisy...woke up thinking I was in Washington machine. Told the front desk and hopefully just a maintenance issue and not a standard ac/heater style

The room was more roomy than most motel. The mattress was nice and thick with new clean linen. The bathroom did not show your standard wear and tear.

We had a good stay for a good price.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel met our expectations very nicely.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The useful, friendly information that the desk clerks provided enhanced our visit to Monterey.

Absolutely recommandable for one night

Although the motel was not exactly noisy, it might be difficult for light sleepers. There is some sound from the airco/heating systems. You can hear traffic, but not extreme, more like a humming. Additionally, on the second floor (top level) rain hitting the roof can be quite noisy. Tiny breakfast room (reception area), but you may the tray to your room.

Super WiFi. Sufficient parking spaces available. Friendly staff Sufficient space in the room. Comfy bed. I especially liked that - besides the usual soap, shampoo etc - make up remover tissues were provided.

AMAZING!!! Will definitely be staying there again.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I stayed in the bottom row of rooms, and we could hear the people above us as they walked around. Even at 3am, though that is more the people's fault than the hotel.

The hotel was so nice and clean!!! First thing I smelled when I walked in was a light soapy clean smell that was NOT overpowering which was nice. The room was also very organized and beautiful.

Very comfortable, convenient to attractions. Will book here for future visits/stays in Monterey.

Had to go to office for coffee as there was only 1 coffee in room (de-caffeinated 😣), and it was Mid evening. We slept in a little so was unable to enjoy the continental breakfast.

Room was very clean, the bed very very comfortable. Plenty of lighting but would have liked at least one lighting dimmer. Overall facilities kept exceptionally clean. Front Desk Agent very professional and kind. Smoking Area was excellent.

Great stay!

The internet (via the WIFI) was not working.

Rooms were nice. The location is in a residential area, so it was quiet. Bed was very comfortable, (not to soft - I like a firmer bed). Current road work makes it impossible to access 10th Avenue from Camino Aguajito. To avoid a long re-direction, turn left on 7th street, right on Ocean Ave., to reach property.

not happy

the check in time is 4pm and the check out time is 11am, and they donot provide service of luggage storage, had to change our plan for touring. also the floor is not clean and the sheet is not clean, there is even blood spot

Room clean and adequate.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast left much to be desired. No fresh fruit; no yogurt; very limited, crowded seating, in the tiny lobby. Only one person in the lobby. When I arrived, it took about 15 minutes for him to check me in, as there were 2 guests ahead of me.

Room clean and adequate. Front desk staff pleasant and helpful. When we complained about sluggish drainage in tub, it was addressed promptly.

Good quality budget hotel ideal for short stay.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Good quality budget hotel ideal for short stay. Quite a walk from the facilities on Fishermans Pier and Cannery row but very comfortable and would recommend.

Wish we could have stayed longer.
    • Deluxe King Suite

Staff was super friendly and accommodating. We were offered a free upgrade to a king suite that was very roomy, clean and comfortable. Room was ready when we arrived (1 pm) and were allowed to check in. Location was good, only a couple of miles to Cannery Row and all the action.

Comfortable rooms, but far from the main tourist area

The front staff were not helpful, no elevator to second floor, no lights in the corridor after midnight. The breakfast area is very small, the coffee is from a machine and is really bad. Stick with the coffe-maker in your room. The hotel is very far from Monterey tourist area, you need to drive to all the attractions. No restaurants around either.

It is a simple hotel, the rooms and bathroom were comfortable and clean, small amenities like coffee maker, fridge and microwave can be hand. Parking lot is easy to maneuver, and there is a very small swimming pool in the corner. It is a good place to stay if you are on a budget, but have a car.

Cozy and clean motel, quiet location.

The room was nice and clean and all the furniture, walls, appliances etc were in good condition. The entire property had a cozy and well maintained feel, and I enjoyed my brief stay here. Also, while being located in a quiet residential neighbourhood, the hotel is just a 2-minute drive from the Monterey state beach and Fisherman's wharf.

We would find another place to stay with better parking and breakfasts.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Parking was difficult at night - sometimes had to park on the street. Also, breakfast was very poor compared to other places I've stayed. I had to throw away my pastry after the first bite; it was disappointing as did my companion.

It was a traditional less expensive motel. The staff who checked us in was very nice and it was clean.

Fair accommodation, overpriced
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

Noise coming from the street and from guests in the room above was annoying. Wooden ceiling resonated at every step or sound they made.

The room and the bathroom were large enough.

Fit all my needs.

Coffee would have been better stronger.

I did not eat breakfast, but juice was good. Staff was excellent and room extremely clean every day. I loved the hardwood floors.

Good staff, generally a good room.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

We were given a room where the shower curtain was too short. The water flooded the bathroom. They clearly know there was a problem as they said a curtain was on order but they didn't warn us and could have given us a different room. The breakfast was awful with the apples being the only food on offer that was not incredibly sweet; the worst breakfast ever.

Good staff, generally a good room.

Great relaxing hotel with clean accomodations.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

No fresh water available other than tap, except during breakfast.

The bed and pillows were soft and comfortable. Breakfast options are small but sufficient.

Comfortable stay here.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access

It's a little bit far to the restrant, and without light on the road.

The room is big and clean with full facility, car parking is free, good value with the price.

Very affordable, complimentary upgrade due to a problem in...

Continental breakfast could have been better, very minimal. The first night we stayed here we were woken up by an extremely loud noise coming from the toilet. We complained to the front desk the next day and they did move us into a nicer room which was nice.

Very affordable, complimentary upgrade due to a problem in our original room.

Brief but comfortable. I would be happy to stay for a longer visit.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We phoned to ask for an early check in but our call was not returned. (As it turned out, we arrived later than we'd planned.)

Pleased to park right in front of door since I had recently injured my ankle. There was adequate room and lighting for two women getting ready for an event. We felt safe returning after dark and enjoyed the light breakfast in the morning.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

We were on the ground level. The noise from the floor above interfered with my ability to sleep. We were without hot water the first night we arrived.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.